AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by exxtacypilot See Profile

• Location: Rhome,Wise,TX
Good "Quick to obtain and set up"
Bad "Too expensive for speed and reliability provided"
Overall "Availability and usability is spotty at best away from large population centers"

As of late 2013, I purchased new smart phones and switched to »ting.com/ a Sprint MVNO. Half the cost and better service.

I subscribed to have an alternate internet service when CenturyLink DSL is down, as well as some mobile Internet access. My experience while traveling between TX to OK over the holiday indicates this AT&T service is less that useful for mobile use. AT&T coverage maps are not reliable. Dial-up ISP will be faster and more reliable in most areas other than population centers were wireless service is better/faster.

It may work well enough for short periods of DSL outages at home. But I won't be renewing my subscription unless there are significant improvements in coverage and speed.

member for 10 years, 1818 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by seacap See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,Saint Thomas,VI
Good "blazing fast speed tests 4-6 Mps"
Bad "still won't load a web page very fast"
Overall "For the money I'll go back to my old 4G local provider at 3Mps and $54"

We have always had problems with good internet access here in the Virgin islands. I was using a 4G modem from a local company here, Choice.

But I would get bumped off or the throughput would dwindle to nothing etc. so I decided to try AT&T since my Gallaxy got such blazing speeds. So now I have it and the speed tests out great. But damn if I can load most web pages. Very slow in actual use.

Comments:

Review by kevin_pink See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "nothing"
Bad "$405 dollar first bill"
Overall "stay away from AT&T wireless"

4 phones (2 with data, 2 without).
iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, and 2 talk only 'dumb' phones

"4G" is crippled on the Atrix, 2/0.2 Mb is about as good as i've seen on the Atrix.

Finally got rid of this company and moved to Straight Talk. $50/month per smart phone this month, next month, every month.

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "They arrived on time"
Bad "Everything after installation"
Overall "Don't waste your money."

Do NOT waste your money on this company. They installed my broadband
internet on the 30th, and I've spent the last 4 days trying to get them to
fix a problem that has existed since installation - it's a common issue
that concerns the servers they direct you to that interferes with websites
like Amazon.com, and sometimes Netflix. It was also taking forever for some
pages to load, despite the speed test showing as normal (on all 3
computers). After literally spending hours on chat and phone, I was told I
would either have to pay a one-time $49.99 fee for tier 2 tech support, or
a $15 monthly subscription for the same. Instead, I ordered a wifi modem
(from my 3g iPad, since I couldn't order it on Amazon through their wifi)
and set up installation with Time Warner - I'll be calling ATT Monday
morning to tell them to disconnect - which I'm sure they'll charge me an
arm and a leg for. Additionally, I spent several hours with their "support"
staff trying to get my Uverse and wireless accounts setup online, because
they have a different system here than my former state. Frankly, when my
phone contracts are close to expiring, I'm washing my hands of ATT
completely.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "connection is reliable"
Bad "i notice throttling especially on youtube. any data limitations are a ripoff."
Overall "i wish the phone companies would get DSL out to my house. Wireless can suck my left nut"

After 1 year and a half with Verizon and 6 RMA'd devices for various reasons and the warranty ran out i had to give it up and terminate early. I liked Verizon but MIFI devices both 3g and 4g are very very fragile. Constantly overheating from heavy use (hours of gaming kills them), dead batteries, and complaining from losing connections from same. Since i still had my iphone4 with a data plan on AT&T i decided to fall back to it. They offered a 5 gig plan (woefully inadequate) but i had no other choice. Kudo's to the iphone 4 as a MIFI device it was incredibly reliable and had none of the issues that plagued the 3g and 4g hotspot devices. I can game just fine on WoW, Eve online, but as usual unless you have a true internet connection like DSL or cable you cannot play such favorites as Battlefield 3 and the like. I run dual OS's mac and win7 on the same machine and thus if i have any major updates which is pretty frequent in the games and windows OS side i have to pack up my computer and head to town where my friend lets me use his DSL for a few hours.

the reasons on my ratings

Pre sales information- average didn't expect anything outstanding.

Install process- good its an iphone and it just simply worked.

Connection reliability- good. only use it at home and the phone sits in the same place either connected to my computer via usb or bluetooth most of the time.

Tech Support- AT&T has always been below average on that end. They really dont want to talk to you and if you can find a live person to talk to it feels like you accomplished something. One plus though is i haven't had to call them much.

Services- below average The 5 gig cap imposed on rural users is a huge slap in the face. Its not like i can sell my house and move to town ( i cannot due to the economy) Throttling..... its maddening, all the big companies spout such drivel about faster connection speeds and yet DO THEIR VERY BEST TO PREVENT YOU FROM USING IT. You already have a captive audience please stop abusing us.

I just read AT&T is trying to sell off its DSL services. I will never see a decent wired connection to my house for the rest of my life. Yay technology!

Value for money- Poor I pay for this because its the only internet i can get aside from satellite (read my previous reviews about those if you like) At least this service is tolerable but low value due to the fact people in town have DSL for 1/3 to 1/2 what i pay for this and can download all day and night up and download to their hearts content. If i used as much data as the typical wired broadband user in town i'd end up with a $10,000 dollar bill most likely. Also if you ever lose the 3g or 4g signal you will have no internet at all with AT&T. Apparently they dont support edge anymore.

Dont ever consider Hughesnet. It is an awful service that will cause you to lose your mind and want to strangle the first living thing you see. My final day with Hughesnet drove me over the edge. i destroyed the entire setup with an ax including the dish and the modem. They can rot in hell for all i care.

If you decide to get Verizon Wireless I HIGHLY SUGGEST using an iphone for the connect device. Avoid any of the 3g/4g mifi cards. those are very unreliable if you use them as your primary internet. Batteries wont last, devices will overheat and wear down/out early.

Comments:

Review by dj0521 See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "The BlackBerry Tourch, New Line Discounts"
Bad "3-5+ Dropped Calls DAILY, Support is flakey, Billing Issues, CONTRACTS"
Overall "I have better service and prices with Boost CDMA and NO CONTRACT, Poor Provider"

Have had an account with the old cingular wireless for about 10 years not for a cell phone only. Since AT&T took over it has been run into the ground. They only look at the profits they can make anymore, Now customer service is not even 24 hours. My boost mobile prepaid phone even has 24 hour customer service so what gives? Most of their phone reps are out of the USA, and when you do need to call AT&T's IVR (interactive voice response) is a worthless waste of time if you really need to get a problem fixed. Cant wait for them to finally start majorly roll out the 4g coverage so they can hopefully give themselves another shot at being a REAL cell phone provider again!

Comments:

Review by treichhart See Profile

• Location: Coldwater,Mercer,OH
Good "Noting Good"
Bad "The service is so bad and no 3g options here at all."
Overall "Dont get it if you live in Coldwater, Ohio"

I bought a Sierra Wireless USB 305 adapter off of ebay and I used a blank SIM card I had around and a 3g router from Encore and when I tried to sign up a pre-paid usb data plan via the phone the first sales rep was telling me that I cant do that so he transferred me over to att dsl service and I asked that tech to connect me over to pre-paid tech support. Soon as I got on the phone with the pre-paid tech I asked if I can use the usb adapter I got off of ebay with a sim card that was not in use and pre-paid tech told me I can I just had go to: »buyasession.att.com/ to sign up for the pre-paid 15 dollar 100megabit aka 1 day service.

soon as I got signed up it took me while to get my 3g router get connected to the cell tower and the connection was very slow and keeps kicking me off every 3mins then it reconnect for a bit but could not get anything.

here is the speed test I did with my ipod touch connected to my 3g via wifi to the att usb connect card:

»www.speedtest.net/iphone/123872327.png

bottom line there is no 3g service in coldwater, ohio only like 2g/edge service.

member for 7.6 years, 2515 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daniel717 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Lowndes,MS
Good "Offers some 3G services across the USA"
Bad "Reviewing 2g service in New Paris, OH-AT&T still is 80% 2G across the country!"
Overall "AT&T doesn't invest in it's networks in a 4G world they give you the 2G crap"

AT&T has to be stuck in a 2G world they always buy new business and tell the FCC we will update the service wither it's the Bellsouth or Cingular Wireless and the future downgraded T-Mobile. They ruined Bellsouth DSL service to make 6mb service a 130-140ms pings with 240k downspeed- They cut corners on the wireless side by wiring the towers with T-1 lines 1.5mb up and down to be shared by all users on the tower. AT&T also has the iPhone to incorrectly tell you are on their network when you are not. I got a text msg, e-mail and phone call to tell me I used over 20MB (that's their limit) for data while roaming. They told me that their phones are set up not to show when your are roaming (so I didn't know I was roaming) and will unlock that to show me when I do roam to other networks. AT&T also said if I go over 20MB while roaming in the USA I could have my service disconnected. I was thinking to go over to T-Mobile when they get the new iPhone but it's looks like Verizon will be my next carrier.

Comments:

Review by IowaCowboy See Profile

• Location: Indian Orchard,Hampden,MA
Good "Best Mobile Broadband Service Out There"
Bad "Costs more than the competition"
Overall "Go for it, if you have the extra money."

·Verizon Broadban..
After having frustrations with the new mobile broadband service (marketed as Comcast High Speed 2go) that is offered by Comcast and runs on the Sprint Network and many issues with the customer service (and lack there of), I canceled it under the 30 day customer guarantee and went with AT&T Mobility's mobile broadband offering. I purchased the new Novatel MiFi 2372 from AT&T which is now part of their official lineup of mobile broadband devices. The device is 149.99 with a $100 mail in rebate with a 24 month agreement. AT&T is the first GSM carrier in the USA to offer MiFi devices and the other two that offer MiFi devices (Sprint and Verizon) operate on CDMA networks. I choose AT&T because I have had them for 6 years for cellular phones and I am happy with their service and the coverage is excellent (New England area). I ordered the 5 GB limit laptop connect which is advertised at $60 per month. I am averaging 2 mbps downstream and about 500 kbps upstream. I went to the AT&T store in South Portland, Maine while visiting my Grandma's and they were very helpful and I had my device in less than an hour. It was immediately activated and I took it home to where I was staying and it is so much better than the Comcast High Speed 2go and the speeds are much faster. The MiFi is so handy I can get rid of the separate data plan on my iPad and put the smartphones on the AT&T basic data plans since I can connect them to the MiFi so it will save me money in the long run. I wish we could have had this technology years ago when I got my first laptop in 2003 and have little or no options to connect to the internet on the go (what's the point of having a portable laptop when you cannot connect to the internet). I do however plan on keeping my Comcast Cable Modem service because AT&T limits bandwidth consumption to 5 GB per billing cycle and I have heard horror stories about people getting bills in the 5 and even 6 digit figures for excessive data consumption on their cellular modems. So I find AT&T to be the best mobile broadband service out there. As for the home modem, I just wish Verizon would deploy FiOS in the Springfield, MA area.

Update: I ended up returning the device (in the 30 day guarantee) and going with Verizon Wireless Broadband Access instead, mainly due to cost. The AT&T LaptopConnect was good for the service but is more costly than other providers.

member for 3.7 years, 1874 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thefloyd See Profile

• Location: East Northport,Suffolk,NY
Good "When you're somewhere good, it's better than everyone else"
Bad "doesn't work at my office, barely works at home"
Overall "Make good use of that 30 day return period. Try the service EVERYWHERE you might need it."

I've been an AT&T customer since the Cingular days in 2004. I've had a 3G dataconnect card since 3G was first available in NYC (an old UMTS pcmcia card via my employer, later on my own usb card) around 2005 or so. It used to be really awesome.

I have an iPhone 4 and a 3G dataconnect SIM currently in a MiFi device. I'm paying over $130 a month, which I know makes me far from AT&T's biggest customer but it's no small chunk of change out of my monthly budget.

I get *terrible* service at my home. I get NO service at my office. I have 5 bars nearly all the time. My phone can almost never transmit or receive data. MMS messages fail 9 times out of 10 from my office. Ditto for my dataconnect card. Pinging a local server on the internet yields 1-2 _SECOND_ round trip times _when the packets actually get through_. I can't use something that's costing me over $50/mo when and where I need it the most: at work.

I've used the "mark the spot" app. I've started calling customer service only to be brushed aside with "well we're deploying more towers near you by the end of the year"

END OF THE YEAR?! It's FEBRUARY! I HAVE TO WAIT 10 MORE MONTHS PAYING $130 A MONTH FOR NOTHING?

AT&T: please help me out here. Please explain to me why I'm paying $130 a month for service I struggle to use. Please do something to let me know you really do value my business other than the empty words the CS reps spit out every time I call. Please make this right.