AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "it works all the time"
Bad "expensive 2GB cap. Good HSPA+ cpverage tops out at 10 MBPS here. "
Overall "I only use it when I have no access to wifi"

·Cox HSI
The service seems to be OK. I use it for my android phone when I am on the go and have no wifi access. The service is fast and reliable. The service is expensive for what you pay for I am using a nexus4 which is unlocked. I am using their prepaid service.

member for 6.9 years, 3618 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Very fast"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "Way better than Sprint 3G"

I was a Hughes satellite customer for way too long. I switched to Sprint via Millenicom about 3 years ago and that worked well until recently, when the service just fell off the table, no doubt due to tower congestion. I switched to AT&T when they introduced 4G service in Puerto Rico (where I live) and it was much faster. The 5Gb cap was a bit of a bother, but since I was paying Millenicom $70 a month and the AT&T was only $50, with a $10/Gb charge for overage, I figured I could have 7Gb for the same price I was paying Millenicom, and I can live with 7Gb...we have two computers on our home LAN and it works for us.

The really good news is AT&T apparently just upgraded their equipment and now we can have LTE service instead of the HSPA+ we were getting before and the improvement is stunning. My download speeds are as high as 12mbps, and usually in the 5-7mbps range.

Ordering was a breeze...I just went to the AT&T store, picked up the gear and had it working that afternoon.

UPDATE ON ROUTER USE: There have been major advances in 4G compatible routers. Cradlepoint routers now fully support 4G I had the CTR500 but it was not always dependable...lots of tech support calls, operations grew increasingly erratic until I finally upgraded to the CBR450, which works well with 4G and the Sierra aircard. See CP for a list of supported aircards/modems

Since I already have two LinkSys access points, I got the router without WiFi, and connect everything via an 8 port switch and the Netgear EOP for one of the access points. .

LATEST UPDATE (April 2013) 4G service here continues to be good. AT&T opened a new tower about 3-4 miles from my house and my signal level has jumped seriously. Speeds settle in at around 4-6Mbps which is more than adequate, and AT&T has announced new, bigger data plans: 10Gb for $80 (previously $100) and 15Gb for $110 ($150). Not too bad a deal if there are no other options, which there aren't.

Comments:

Charles49

@centennialpr.net

313U Air Card

Hola Jeff:
I have an Att Air card 313 and am looking for a router for it.
I was wondering if you finally found one that works. I was on the Cradlepoint web page and they state that several of their routers support the Momentum 4g Lte air card. Do you have any info on this?
Thanks, Charles

·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: 313U Air Card

Hi Charles, sorry it took this long to respond to you. The CP router and 4G is highly variable, depending on just what kind of 4G your have; there are several levels: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, and probably a few more, but the point is, my CTR500, which ran fine when I used it with Sprint 3G, ran like crap with the 313U when I upgraded to 4G. My service was in the HSPA-HSPA+ range. CP Tech made minor config changes but reliability was awful. It would just dump and crash regularly There are two firmware uploads at CP's site you need for some router and aircards, but even with all that it ran so bad I bagged it and used the aircard in my travel laptop as a windows ICS host (not my favorite configuration).

As soon as it went LTE about a month ago I tried the router again and it ran the best I've ever seen....the router/modem combo stays connected for days at a time and reconnects withing 20 seconds if it drops for some unknown reason.

Go figure. I spent hours with a very good techguy at CP and he was as astonished as I was. You can tell what level you have with the software that comes with the device, the "Connection Manager" and you can also tell by looking at the LEDs on the aircard. Holding the aircard with the AT&T logo at the top, the left light is blue if the device is powered up. The right light will be blue for any variety of HSPA, and it will go green for LTE. That's how I discovered they had switched. The difference in performance is remarkable. Plus it stays connected. If you've got a green light, then I'd go with the CP router line. Their tech support is good and I've had no problems with mine other than what I described above. If you don't have LTE, I'd make sure I could get my money back on any 4G router, CP or not, if it doesn't behave well.

I hope this helps you. Just IM me if you have any other questions.
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

Hola, Charles,

Exito con el CP router? Que hiciste?

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "AT&T's h+ work's well fast and in more places than verizon's 4G"
Bad "Pre paid caps your speeds at 1mbs, had to go post paid for 5mbs +"
Overall "Not as fast as verizon's 4G CAN be, but works better over all"

I had it for over a year with my verizon line and could not let go.

Support is not bad, but not the best I have seen. ( I still don't know way I was billed $20 more that one month, but they fixed it so that good and did not take long.)

HSPA+ is way faster in most cases than verizon's CDMA based 3G and it may as well be 4G than 3G. Can do HD video and more on it that next to never could be done on verizon's 3G. Droped fewer call's yet made more of them with AT&T VS verizon. ( 2 call's this year with AT&T VS 3-5 with verzion in a about a year. P.S I don't make alot of calls so it may have been more for both if I did call more.)

member for 1.5 years, 129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

caribconsult
·AT&T Wireless Br..

various levels of 4G

Something the telcos don't tell you is that 4G comes in at least three levels of performance: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, in ascending order of speed. My local AT&T outfit upgraded a few months ago to LTE and the difference is very noticeable. The AT&T connection manager and most routers will tell you what level you are getting, and the Sierra313U modem AT&T commonly uses has a data light that goes from blue (any HSPA) to green (LTE) to also indicate the level you are getting.

Review by eagle92 See Profile

• Location: La Habra,Orange,CA
Good "Speeds are Fast"
Bad "None Yet"

4x faster than my previous mobil provider at about half the cost

member for 13.7 years, 6815 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
A Ninja Ant
join:2001-03-25
United State

Are you still using it?

I will be moving to La Habra Heights. Is AT&T good for fast home Internet?

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Bought The iPhone....Love it! Good Coverage Too."
Bad "Price for Service is Way Too High."
Overall "Service Is Great Where I Live."

·CableOne
I decided to ditch T-Mobile so that I could get the iPhone, so I had to go with AT&T. Their coverage doesn't seem to be as good in the Los Angeles area. Intermittent 3G coverage. I had almost no coverage in my Apartment, so I had to purchase the 3GMicroCell, which AT&T sells, which is like a mini cell tower you put in your home. However, even though it gives you full coverage at home, I had to shell out $150 for it, where I think that AT&T should give it to you for free to use their service at home if you get little to no signal. I'll post an update in a few months.

Update 11/7/10: I moved to Rio Rancho, NM about 2 1/2 months ago, and the AT&T 3G signal is pretty strong in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho area. I'm very happy with the service here, and there is no need for the MicroCell.

UPDATE 3/26/11: Had left AT&T for Verizon, left Verizon, which I hated, and came back to AT&T, and got the HTC Inspire 4G, and LOVE IT!

UPDATE 9/30/11: I am still with AT&T, and still have the HTC Inspire 4G. It's a good phone, however, when it was updated from Froyo (2.2.x) to Gingerbread (2.3.3), it affected some of it's functionality. To be honest, I'm tired of Android in general, and would really love to get the Blackberry Bold 9900 when AT&T gets it. That is supposed to happen before the end of the year.

member for 9.5 years, 2951 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Ridgewood,Queens,NY
Good "Price is not Bad!"
Bad "Very Few Dropped Calls"
Overall "Overall Great!"

Update : 9/9/2011

Yesterday I went to live chat and asked att rep to switch me from iPhone plan to smartphone 4g (h+). I see no difference but I can see I am on the 4G plan because it doesnt say service provide but att global network on the speedtest I am located in Queens , NY

»www.speedtest.net/result/1474320539.png

_______________
I have family plan with 4 people , I used to be on iPhone , 2 others are iPhones and last one is windows phone 7.

I live in New York in Queens area and just wanted to share my review with you guys on att. For this review I tethered my H+ AT&T (although I have to call AT&T to put me on 4G plan since I had the iPhone) the phone I am using is Samsung Galaxy S2.

Speedtest.net Result

»www.speedtest.net/result/1450834245.png

---

»www.speedtest.net/result/1450838940.png

Speakeasy.net Speed Test Result

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7285 kbps (910.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 436 kbps (54.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

it looks like speakeasy is doing better on speedtests.

For a mobile phone why would anyone need more speed ?

this is more then enough for streaming radio watching some youtube and 2GB cap is just fine for that use (good enough for lots of radio facebook email you name it)

AT&T works well in Queens,New York it's not a bad choice I was previously on T-Mobile.

Comments:

Review by ford8nlover See Profile

• Location: Beaverdam,Hanover,VA
Good "Download Speeds average of 1.5+ mbps on 3G"
Bad "Edege network is slow"
Overall "With the fastest 3G speeds and reliable network, you can't go wrong."

·exede by ViaSat
I have been with AT&T since 2008 and have had no problems. Currently have 2 iPhone 3GS on the $15 200 MB plan and have never gone over. Even in the Mountains of WV and still had reliable signal. No complaints, and very few dead spots where I have traveled. I am a satisfied customer.

Comments:

Review by W4DRA See Profile

• Location: Dunnellon,Citrus,FL
Good "Great speeds here in the country"
Bad "5 gig"
Overall "Real Good"

I had Sprint Mobile Broadband (snicker) for a two year period. (BAD CHOICE)
I wondered what other choices were in my area. I called AT&T about the broadband for my area. I was on the FAIR area as far as signal. But I ordered it anyway.

I was wondering if I could get the signal I needed for the Sierra USB 308 to work properly. I have metal sideing on my house and its tough to get a good signal even with my AT&T Phone.

I got the order in and opened the package and there was a Sierra USB 308 modem and a short USB cable, with AT&T connection manager. All instructions were easy to read and follow.
I installed the software and modem and called the toll free number for aceptance and agreeing to there terms, painless.

When it was activated I was a little concerned with the signal being only 2 bars. I used internet explorer and loaded my homepage at www.wvva.com and was shocked how fast it loaded.I then flushed the cache and reloaded the page again and it was again fast loading.

I did some speed tests and got about 2mbs down and about 600kbs up, Well that was faster than Sprint already and I didn't even have the external antenna installed yet. I then called AT&T and asked what frequency the network was on? To my surprize no one could tell me. Thats bad for me because I am in the country and have to do things the hard way. I tried a 1900mhz antenna and it didn't work. I then tried a 850 mhz beam and couldn't get it to increase the signal, BAD BEAM.
I ordered a Wilson tribander beam from the 3gstore and like magic it worked, FULL scale and 74dbm.

I did a few more speed tests and was getting about 4mbs down and 1.5mbs up.
AT&T is a winner here and its like being in a new world of fast internet. I am 8 miles from the tower.

The only thing that concerns me is the 5Gig a month. I think there should be a 10 gig a month usage. After all @ $60.00 a month compared to cable (Which I don't have here) is not a good deal.

All in all I am happy with the ease of use and performance of my New Service.

PS Lower the price or raise the cap from 5 to 10 GB a month... ;-(
Dave Abshire
Dunnellon, Florida

member for 10.8 years, 2728 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by green1kp See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reasonable speeds, fast setup, can use phone simultaneously"
Bad "Could be faster, had to give up my unlimited data plan"
Overall "Pretty great"

My DSL provider at home, Earthlink, completely failed -- they say it's my modem. But I needed access, so I called AT&T to look into internet tethering with my iPhone. The rep explained the cost, how to set it up, and how to change plans later if I want (it's month-to-month). My existing unlimited data plan was $30. A 2GB/month data plan with tethering is $45. Overages are $10/GB and I'm warned on approaching that point and before being charged. The biggest downside of switching is that I can't go back to the unlimited plan. But I reviewed my phone data usage under standard conditions and it was always under 2GB. So I went for it. 15 minutes later I was up and running. I also set my Mac Book Pro up as a wireless hotspot sharing the iPhone connection so my house guests could get on line. Speed is just under half the average for my DSL (when it works) -- about 950 kbps. If I have tethering turned on for the phone it starts service the minute I attach the USB cable. It's supposed to work with bluetooth but I have not been able to get the devices to pair yet. The AT&T rep was quick, helpful, and knowledgable, but for one detail. She told me I couldn't use the phone while tethered. This is not true. At least when connected via USB, the phone works fine. The data connection does slow down when the phone is in use. All in all, I'm very happy.

Comments:

Review by Selenia See Profile

• Location: Lanesboro,Berkshire,MA
Good "Excellent voice quality. 3mbit+ on most speed tests now that AT&T has deployed nice 3G coverage here."
Bad "Latency is terrible, but not much jitter, making streaming ok. Dreadful caps on most personal plans."
Overall "Great job cleaning up your act in my area, AT&T. Better bandwidth than Verizon Wireless, though worse latency"

Update 11/18/10: It's a new AT&T network for a wide swath of my region. Horrible EDGE has been overlayed with 3G that has expanded to at least nearly the whole county and beyond. It is extremely stable and gets great download speeds especially since it's been on 850MHz since after seemingly some initial spot testing by AT&T. The 3 achilles heals to all this are caps, high latency, and having to force phone to 3G-only to avoid inapropriate fallbacks to EDGE, though it seems to now be on both 850 and 1900 bands, unlike the former 1900-only crap EDGE of the past. All in all quite a thrill to have now 2 good 3G providers at my disposal. 1 being EVDO and AT&T being UMTS.

Update 10/22/10: It is near the end of October and the promised 3G upgrade from AT&T still has yet to surface. Data is still so unusable that the one phone I still have on these idiots even has trouble checking my gmail using the gmail app. Latency still stays above 1200ms and the speeds are about half that of a 56k modem. Really, I'm surprised they still manage to sucker people into being their customer now that they have sucked for this long. Even voice service has become spotty, with my phone often not ringing. I can't wait until my last contract is up. I haven't been with AT&t since the Cingular days until the last couple of years, but I guarantee I won't be going back to them. Especially after seeing just how much better the alternatives are these days.

Update 9/26/10 Updated score and summary to reflect current service level that made me jump ship with my laptop. I still use them for voice, at this point, and very light phone data usage. Value for money dropped due to partially unusable data service.

Update 7/7/10: Speed and notable stability improvements have weathered the July 4th weekend storm and iphone 4 launch, so now I am more confident that these improvements are stable, even under load, so now feeln confident increasing connection reliability score. Now a 4-solid stability, but still some speed fluctuations at peak time(though no dreaded page load errors or the like), so not quite a 5. It has been more reliable than cable in this city in the last few days, though TWC is normally very reliable. Also had some pleasant experiences with tech support, when dealing with a defective bluetooth accessory. They still need more tech savvy people, but they have been getting the customer service part of things right of late, so tech support score also up 1.

I have had their voice service before, so I knew their coverage was good in my area(Verizon somewhat sucks there and Sprint really sucks). I decided to add some data services, as I had many uses for accessing the internet from the road. The $15-60 price range is for data only and covers 2 devices I have serviced-a cheap 3G phone capable of streaming music to my car and a laptop with a data connect card(which I sometimes use as a wifi hotspot for other devices, as well).

The network is overloaded in my area, but can stream via Yourmuze at low bitrates, provided I use the little mobile antenna that I made for myself. Otherwise(if you can't reach an alternative tower) you might find yourself with 5 bars of dead service. However, the service has been great wherever else I travel.

I live in a county that is mostly a cellular dead spot for 90+% of providers(even VZW, which has 3G in my city, but fails at covering surrounding areas I travel through daily). Most providers serve my city, some with less congested service, but forget any of the hill towns around here(even Dalton). AT&T only has 1 small dead spot(in Williamstown) that I've found within the whole county, by contrast. Some correspondence with AT&T did reveal they will be upgrading us to 3G this September or October. Given the service is reliable enough to do low bitrate streaming most of the time, access e-mail, read what you guys reply to me at BBR, etc,etc-I decided to probably stay where I am, when my contract is up in December. I live very near AT&T 3G right now and some smaller towns to the North have it, as well as areas to the East and West of me(which surround bigger cities). I generally see a minimum of 2 mbit in those areas and very low latency.

Anyways, with some work, I got it working good enough here. Coverage is more important than speed, especially when it seems the other providers aren't trying too hard on the coverage side. My makeshift mobile antenna(for a phone not meant to accept one) keeps the in-town reception very nicely by allowing my phone to see more than 1 tower if a specific tower gets hung up by congestion from those iphone users(just kidding about the iphone reference). Reception in the more rural areas here and in other cities has never been an issue. I'd rather need an antenna in my city than to have miles of 0 coverage that surrounds my city in all directions(ahem Sprint, T-Mobile, somewhat VZW). I love internet radio in my car and AT&T is the only one that lets me travel from here to Boston, with no interruption.

member for 7.5 years, 2141 visits, last login: a few hours ago