AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by ggultra2764 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Washington,NY
Good "Offers features like tethering and direct AT&T customer service not provided with most prepaid providers."
Bad "Low data cap offering for $60 (only 2.5 GB), tethered connection usually drops on me."
Overall "AT&T GoPhone is one of the better prepaid offerings to go for if you don't want to be on a contract."

·Millenicom
Guess it is long due for me to cover AT&T since I've been milking their GoPhone plans for five years now. I've been a customer on their prepaid plan for five years now when my mother got me a Samsung SGH-A167 from them as a birthday gift for me which was a basic phone that came with a VGA camera and GPRS data connection. Crazy as it sounds, that was the very first cell phone I had. Their offerings for prepaid in 2009 were rather laughable at the time I got on them as you had to pay for separate packages for talk, text messages and data with a $3 a day unlimited talk plan being their best offering for talk, paying for unlimited texting for $20 a month and only able to use up to 300 MB of data (in increments of three 100 MB purchases) for your prepaid plan in a month. This meant for the best offerings to get off them, you would be paying $170 a month.

Thankfully, their plans have changed significantly within the past 5 years that have made them one of the better prepaid phone providers to stick with as they've got four choices of monthly plans for smartphone users offering mostly reasonable offerings in a $25, $40, $45 and $60 plans depending on usage habits. I'm presently on their $60 plan which comes with unlimited talk and text, 2.5 GB of data and the ability to tether your phone to a computer. The 500 MB and tethering capability were recently added to the $60 plan a few months ago. To my knowledge, tethering isn't offered by many prepaid wireless providers and having this addition to my GoPhone came at a convenient time for me as I had to discontinue use of my old 3G wireless aircard from Millenicom due to them raising their monthly rates on it to $90 and I needed a backup source of data in case I was cutting close on the 20 GB data cap for my Hotspot plan from Millenicom. I don't often use my phone for talking and texting, so those are just additional perks with the plan I got as I was originally on AT&T's cheaper $25 monthly plan (250 minutes of talking, unlimited text and only 50 MB of data a month unless milking Wi-Fi) before I switched to the $60 plan.

I presently have an AT&T Z998 phone that has LTE speed, though it appears I presently lack coverage for it in my area as the speed on my phone tops out at 3 Mbps (HSPA) for download speed when I tether it to my computer. Still, it is fast enough where I can get by with most activities I do online. The only real issues I have with tethering my Z998 are the low data cap (usually need 4-5 GB of data for backup) and the connection usually dropping on me at inopportune times. The former can be extended by buying 1 GB additional increments of data at $10 a pop, which can add more to what I pay on my prepaid plan in a month as I'm presently paying at least $150 monthly for Internet between tethering my phone and using my hotspot.

Gripes aside, AT&T GoPhone is still one of the better prepaid plans that you could go for with their wide offering of plans, ability to tether on the bigger monthly plans and AT&T's large amount of wireless coverage. While I wouldn't want to be on a contract with AT&T since they are as bad as Verizon with monthly rates for wireless devices, I've been mostly satisfied with being a GoPhone customer with them over the past five years.

member for 6.8 years, 2632 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Very fast"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "Way better than Sprint 3G"

I was a Hughes satellite customer for way too long. I switched to Sprint via Millenicom about 3 years ago and that worked well until recently, when the service just fell off the table, no doubt due to tower congestion. I switched to AT&T when they introduced 4G service in Puerto Rico (where I live) and it was much faster. The 5Gb cap was a bit of a bother, but since I was paying Millenicom $70 a month and the AT&T was only $50, with a $10/Gb charge for overage, I figured I could have 7Gb for the same price I was paying Millenicom, and I can live with 7Gb...we have two computers on our home LAN and it works for us.

The really good news is AT&T apparently just upgraded their equipment and now we can have LTE service instead of the HSPA+ we were getting before and the improvement is stunning. My download speeds are as high as 12mbps, and usually in the 5-7mbps range.

Ordering was a breeze...I just went to the AT&T store, picked up the gear and had it working that afternoon.

UPDATE ON ROUTER USE: There have been major advances in 4G compatible routers. Cradlepoint routers now fully support 4G I had the CTR500 but it was not always dependable...lots of tech support calls, operations grew increasingly erratic until I finally upgraded to the CBR450, which works well with 4G and the Sierra aircard. See CP for a list of supported aircards/modems

Since I already have two LinkSys access points, I got the router without WiFi, and connect everything via an 8 port switch and the Netgear EOP for one of the access points. .

LATEST UPDATE (April 2013) 4G service here continues to be good. AT&T opened a new tower about 3-4 miles from my house and my signal level has jumped seriously. Speeds settle in at around 4-6Mbps which is more than adequate, and AT&T has announced new, bigger data plans: 10Gb for $80 (previously $100) and 15Gb for $110 ($150). Not too bad a deal if there are no other options, which there aren't.

UPDATE July 2014. The Cradlepoint router I was using, the CBR450, finally went south...all lights lit, apparently connected, but no IP coming out. After speaking to CP, who told me they no longer make that model, I bought their new model, an MBR95, which works nicely. The WiFi is stronger, so now I use its wifi instead of the old LinkSys WRT54G. Makes for a simpler setup.

Comments:

Charles49

@centennialpr.net

313U Air Card

Hola Jeff:
I have an Att Air card 313 and am looking for a router for it.
I was wondering if you finally found one that works. I was on the Cradlepoint web page and they state that several of their routers support the Momentum 4g Lte air card. Do you have any info on this?
Thanks, Charles

·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: 313U Air Card

Hi Charles, sorry it took this long to respond to you. The CP router and 4G is highly variable, depending on just what kind of 4G your have; there are several levels: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, and probably a few more, but the point is, my CTR500, which ran fine when I used it with Sprint 3G, ran like crap with the 313U when I upgraded to 4G. My service was in the HSPA-HSPA+ range. CP Tech made minor config changes but reliability was awful. It would just dump and crash regularly There are two firmware uploads at CP's site you need for some router and aircards, but even with all that it ran so bad I bagged it and used the aircard in my travel laptop as a windows ICS host (not my favorite configuration).

As soon as it went LTE about a month ago I tried the router again and it ran the best I've ever seen....the router/modem combo stays connected for days at a time and reconnects withing 20 seconds if it drops for some unknown reason.

Go figure. I spent hours with a very good techguy at CP and he was as astonished as I was. You can tell what level you have with the software that comes with the device, the "Connection Manager" and you can also tell by looking at the LEDs on the aircard. Holding the aircard with the AT&T logo at the top, the left light is blue if the device is powered up. The right light will be blue for any variety of HSPA, and it will go green for LTE. That's how I discovered they had switched. The difference in performance is remarkable. Plus it stays connected. If you've got a green light, then I'd go with the CP router line. Their tech support is good and I've had no problems with mine other than what I described above. If you don't have LTE, I'd make sure I could get my money back on any 4G router, CP or not, if it doesn't behave well.

I hope this helps you. Just IM me if you have any other questions.
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

Hola, Charles,

Exito con el CP router? Que hiciste?

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "it works all the time"
Bad "expensive 2GB cap. Good HSPA+ cpverage tops out at 10 MBPS here. "
Overall "I only use it when I have no access to wifi"

·Cox HSI
The service seems to be OK. I use it for my android phone when I am on the go and have no wifi access. The service is fast and reliable. The service is expensive for what you pay for I am using a nexus4 which is unlocked. I am using their prepaid service.

member for 7.2 years, 3804 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "AT&T's h+ work's well fast and in more places than verizon's 4G"
Bad "Pre paid caps your speeds at 1mbs, had to go post paid for 5mbs +"
Overall "Not as fast as verizon's 4G CAN be, but works better over all"

I had it for over a year with my verizon line and could not let go.

Support is not bad, but not the best I have seen. ( I still don't know way I was billed $20 more that one month, but they fixed it so that good and did not take long.)

HSPA+ is way faster in most cases than verizon's CDMA based 3G and it may as well be 4G than 3G. Can do HD video and more on it that next to never could be done on verizon's 3G. Droped fewer call's yet made more of them with AT&T VS verizon. ( 2 call's this year with AT&T VS 3-5 with verzion in a about a year. P.S I don't make alot of calls so it may have been more for both if I did call more.)

Comments:

caribconsult
·AT&T Wireless Br..

various levels of 4G

Something the telcos don't tell you is that 4G comes in at least three levels of performance: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, in ascending order of speed. My local AT&T outfit upgraded a few months ago to LTE and the difference is very noticeable. The AT&T connection manager and most routers will tell you what level you are getting, and the Sierra313U modem AT&T commonly uses has a data light that goes from blue (any HSPA) to green (LTE) to also indicate the level you are getting.

Review by eagle92 See Profile

• Location: La Habra,Orange,CA
Good "Speeds are Fast"
Bad "None Yet"

4x faster than my previous mobil provider at about half the cost

member for 14 years, 6926 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
A Ninja Ant
join:2001-03-25
United State

Are you still using it?

I will be moving to La Habra Heights. Is AT&T good for fast home Internet?

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Bought The iPhone....Love it! Good Coverage Too."
Bad "Price for Service is Way Too High."
Overall "Service Is Great Where I Live."

·CableOne
I decided to ditch T-Mobile so that I could get the iPhone, so I had to go with AT&T. Their coverage doesn't seem to be as good in the Los Angeles area. Intermittent 3G coverage. I had almost no coverage in my Apartment, so I had to purchase the 3GMicroCell, which AT&T sells, which is like a mini cell tower you put in your home. However, even though it gives you full coverage at home, I had to shell out $150 for it, where I think that AT&T should give it to you for free to use their service at home if you get little to no signal. I'll post an update in a few months.

Update 11/7/10: I moved to Rio Rancho, NM about 2 1/2 months ago, and the AT&T 3G signal is pretty strong in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho area. I'm very happy with the service here, and there is no need for the MicroCell.

UPDATE 3/26/11: Had left AT&T for Verizon, left Verizon, which I hated, and came back to AT&T, and got the HTC Inspire 4G, and LOVE IT!

UPDATE 9/30/11: I am still with AT&T, and still have the HTC Inspire 4G. It's a good phone, however, when it was updated from Froyo (2.2.x) to Gingerbread (2.3.3), it affected some of it's functionality. To be honest, I'm tired of Android in general, and would really love to get the Blackberry Bold 9900 when AT&T gets it. That is supposed to happen before the end of the year.

member for 9.8 years, 3114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Ridgewood,Queens,NY
Good "Price is not Bad!"
Bad "Very Few Dropped Calls"
Overall "Overall Great!"

Update : 9/9/2011

Yesterday I went to live chat and asked att rep to switch me from iPhone plan to smartphone 4g (h+). I see no difference but I can see I am on the 4G plan because it doesnt say service provide but att global network on the speedtest I am located in Queens , NY

»www.speedtest.net/result/1474320539.png

_______________
I have family plan with 4 people , I used to be on iPhone , 2 others are iPhones and last one is windows phone 7.

I live in New York in Queens area and just wanted to share my review with you guys on att. For this review I tethered my H+ AT&T (although I have to call AT&T to put me on 4G plan since I had the iPhone) the phone I am using is Samsung Galaxy S2.

Speedtest.net Result

»www.speedtest.net/result/1450834245.png

---

»www.speedtest.net/result/1450838940.png

Speakeasy.net Speed Test Result

Last Result:
Download Speed: 7285 kbps (910.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 436 kbps (54.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

it looks like speakeasy is doing better on speedtests.

For a mobile phone why would anyone need more speed ?

this is more then enough for streaming radio watching some youtube and 2GB cap is just fine for that use (good enough for lots of radio facebook email you name it)

AT&T works well in Queens,New York it's not a bad choice I was previously on T-Mobile.

member for 5.5 years, 1080 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ford8nlover See Profile

• Location: Beaverdam,Hanover,VA
Good "Download Speeds average of 1.5+ mbps on 3G"
Bad "Edege network is slow"
Overall "With the fastest 3G speeds and reliable network, you can't go wrong."

·exede by ViaSat
I have been with AT&T since 2008 and have had no problems. Currently have 2 iPhone 3GS on the $15 200 MB plan and have never gone over. Even in the Mountains of WV and still had reliable signal. No complaints, and very few dead spots where I have traveled. I am a satisfied customer.

Comments:

Review by W4DRA See Profile

• Location: Dunnellon,Citrus,FL
Good "Great speeds here in the country"
Bad "5 gig"
Overall "Real Good"

I had Sprint Mobile Broadband (snicker) for a two year period. (BAD CHOICE)
I wondered what other choices were in my area. I called AT&T about the broadband for my area. I was on the FAIR area as far as signal. But I ordered it anyway.

I was wondering if I could get the signal I needed for the Sierra USB 308 to work properly. I have metal sideing on my house and its tough to get a good signal even with my AT&T Phone.

I got the order in and opened the package and there was a Sierra USB 308 modem and a short USB cable, with AT&T connection manager. All instructions were easy to read and follow.
I installed the software and modem and called the toll free number for aceptance and agreeing to there terms, painless.

When it was activated I was a little concerned with the signal being only 2 bars. I used internet explorer and loaded my homepage at www.wvva.com and was shocked how fast it loaded.I then flushed the cache and reloaded the page again and it was again fast loading.

I did some speed tests and got about 2mbs down and about 600kbs up, Well that was faster than Sprint already and I didn't even have the external antenna installed yet. I then called AT&T and asked what frequency the network was on? To my surprize no one could tell me. Thats bad for me because I am in the country and have to do things the hard way. I tried a 1900mhz antenna and it didn't work. I then tried a 850 mhz beam and couldn't get it to increase the signal, BAD BEAM.
I ordered a Wilson tribander beam from the 3gstore and like magic it worked, FULL scale and 74dbm.

I did a few more speed tests and was getting about 4mbs down and 1.5mbs up.
AT&T is a winner here and its like being in a new world of fast internet. I am 8 miles from the tower.

The only thing that concerns me is the 5Gig a month. I think there should be a 10 gig a month usage. After all @ $60.00 a month compared to cable (Which I don't have here) is not a good deal.

All in all I am happy with the ease of use and performance of my New Service.

PS Lower the price or raise the cap from 5 to 10 GB a month... ;-(
Dave Abshire
Dunnellon, Florida

member for 11.1 years, 2728 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by green1kp See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reasonable speeds, fast setup, can use phone simultaneously"
Bad "Could be faster, had to give up my unlimited data plan"
Overall "Pretty great"

My DSL provider at home, Earthlink, completely failed -- they say it's my modem. But I needed access, so I called AT&T to look into internet tethering with my iPhone. The rep explained the cost, how to set it up, and how to change plans later if I want (it's month-to-month). My existing unlimited data plan was $30. A 2GB/month data plan with tethering is $45. Overages are $10/GB and I'm warned on approaching that point and before being charged. The biggest downside of switching is that I can't go back to the unlimited plan. But I reviewed my phone data usage under standard conditions and it was always under 2GB. So I went for it. 15 minutes later I was up and running. I also set my Mac Book Pro up as a wireless hotspot sharing the iPhone connection so my house guests could get on line. Speed is just under half the average for my DSL (when it works) -- about 950 kbps. If I have tethering turned on for the phone it starts service the minute I attach the USB cable. It's supposed to work with bluetooth but I have not been able to get the devices to pair yet. The AT&T rep was quick, helpful, and knowledgable, but for one detail. She told me I couldn't use the phone while tethered. This is not true. At least when connected via USB, the phone works fine. The data connection does slow down when the phone is in use. All in all, I'm very happy.