Colane Cable page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by icex See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "It downloads fast..."
Bad "Pings are 600+, tech support sucks, high price, they have no clue what their doing."
Overall "Don't get it unless its your only option. Even then it still sucks."

·DIRECTV
·Frontier Communi..
** UPDATE 4/11/12 **

Colane internet SUCKS. Past 3 months it will drop every hour on the hour for exactly 1 minute and thirty seconds. Ping stayed over 500 and download speed was at best 500k on a 6mb connection.

Switched to frontier and ain't looked back at colane and never will.

Ordered colane cable, which is a local cable company. They offered a 768 package for $40.00 + $23 for basic tv. Cable guy installed it, and I immediatly noticed it was slow. I asked him to do a speed test which he did and it was the 256 package. Whoops! Trying to cheat the customer. Too bad it dident work.

The tech was pretty nice I guess. He knew what he was doing but wouldent setup my router, which was simple to do. I had to crawl behind my desk, unhook it, and hook the cable modem straight into my computer to make him happy..

Well, three days later I noticed it was slow. I checked the speed and it was showing 100/78. Why in the world would I be getting slow speeds? I call their 1800 number and demand an answer.

Their answer is its a fault with sprint. Right. I tell them ok, I'll be paitent and wait it out. Yeah.. I've been waiting for two months now.

I've since made two more calls, and each time I got someone that diden't know what they was talking about. Of course the tech support was in georgia, and Colane is based in WV..

They finaly told me to call the local office, which I did, and their simple answer was "We're out of bandwidth. We're trying to get more installed, in the mean time no current orders are being taken. I'll cancle your internet until we get more bandwidth if you want."

I'm paying $63 a month for dialup. The only time its truthfully usable is in the middle of the night, around 3:00 am when no one else is online. In the end, their suppose to have more bandwidth by March, but if not then satalite is looking real good for me.

---------------

April 12th, 2011

They upgraded the bandwidth but ran out AGAIN. In the evenings pages won't even load, it just sits and stalls. Pings go to 300-500 and speeds drop from 1.5mb to the lowest of 256k. Frontier is suppose to come through soon, and when that happens bye bye colane!

Comments:

Review by jaywv3010 See Profile

• Location: North Spring,Wyoming,WV
Good "Great speeds, have received two free upgrades since signing up."
Bad "None really."
Overall "Only non-satellite broadband provider in my area but has been great."

I have been using Colane(called Lightlynx) since 2007 when the packages offered were (all packages require an additional $20.00 or so for basic TV):

Silver - 64 K Up/256K Down for $33.99/month
Gold - 128K Up/768K Down for $43.99/month

I signed up for the Gold Package.
In 2009 the packages received free upgrades to:
Silver - 128 K Up/512 K Down
Gold - 256 K Up/1.5 MB Down

They then introduced a third package:
Platinum - 256 K Up/3.0 MB Down for $53.99/month

I upgraded to the Platinum Package.

A few days ago they gave my Platinum Package a free upgrade to:
1.0 MB Up/6.0 MB Down

As far as I know the Silver and Gold Packages haven't been upgraded YET. I heard someone say that they will be soon.

I love the service. I have only had one or two brief outages due to thunderstorms/snowstorms damaging the lines. Also the pings are very good and I have had great experiences with online gaming.

member for 11.9 years, 167 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago