US Cellular page on DSLReports

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Consistently over 20mbps down, unlimited 4G LTE promotion"
Bad "Can only get unlimited with phone tethering, not with a modem"
Overall "A little pricey, but worth it if you have no good Cable/DSL options"

·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom
I started with Frontier DSL, which was horrible. Then I went with Millenicom (Verizon hotspot), which was great, but I had the 20gb cap. After using Millenicom a bit, I saw USC was doing an unlimited 4G LTE promotion. I live very close to a USC tower, so I hit up my local store. I hadn't looked at USC seriously before due to the fact that it is $90 for 10gb of data. For $60/mo you can add unlimited data with tethering to any phone on USC (promotion). Unfortunately, you cannot get a data-only plan with a modem, so I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Axiom (cheapest 4g LTE phone they have), and added the data package to it. I keep the phone tethered via USB to my router (ASUS Dark Knight), and I rarely have issues. I have to restart the phone about once a week, but that's about it.

If you are willing to cough up the dough for unlimited data, it's definitely worth it. On top of that, the store was top notch. I told the store exactly what I wanted to do and they had no problem with helping me. I dealt with customer service once and they were good as well.

Overall, I would recommend.

Comments:

Review by Nexis See Profile

• Location: Cedar Rapids,Linn,IA
Good "Works great in the Boonies"
Bad "Slow speeds can hamper you"
Overall "It has its place, not a replacement for broadband."

I use my 3G phone in my work truck to get online while I'm out working. It provides me access to data on the centrally located server that I would not have otherwise. The cost reflected is for 3 phones all with data and voice. Speeds can swing from very good in larger towns to 56k modem levels when out a ways.

Comments:

Review by TLettuce See Profile

• Location: Goldendale,Klickitat,WA
Good "Supports multiple devices/video streaming"
Bad "5 gig monthly cap, service not setup for internet exclusively."
Overall "With little other options this IS the best choice out in BFE."

·Millenicom
I use their 5gb /mo data plan and got the only mifi device they offer (Samsung SCH-LC11). Which IS a 4g compatible device, but looking at the map they only have a handful of places with 4g and they are all on the other side of the country from here...

Speedtest.net shows me having around 100kb/s at best but I assume I am getting over at least 1mb/s because I can stream hulu and other videos without any issues. So the speeds are better than I expected and the connection doesn't drop or seem to slow at peak hours.

They aren't very accommodating though, for someone who only uses their service for internet... I was given a phone number for my device. When I tried to register on their website for an account it said I was texted a pin number to that number, and that I needed the pin to register. I called support and after an hour on the phone was told I could not register without a cell phone. (???)

Also the number I was given with the mifi device to activate it didn't work. I was on hold for over an hour (with a voice that kept saying 'a service representative will be with you momentarily'). I hung up and called another number and got it activated in a few minutes though.

I haven't asked about my data usage yet but according to the mifi device I have already used about 1.6 gigs after a few days, so assuming that is correct I probably need to tone down my usage to keep this service affordable!

Comments:

Review by jameswade See Profile

• Location: Hot Springs,Madison,NC
Good "DSL speeds in the boonies"
Bad "5 Gbyte usage cap"
Overall "If you can't get DSL, cable, or WISP this may work for you"

Update 11/26/2010: Still working pretty well, but they seem to turn off the local cell tower for a while around midnight most nights. Real bad if you need to make a 911 call. Annoying if you're online at the time.

What's getting to be a real problem is knowing how much data you've used so far in a month. The desktop software sort of provides this, but it looks like you have to add up each session's use manually to find out where you're at. And this information doesn't seem to travel with the card so it's very tricky if you move the card between PCs. And forget it if you're plugging the card into a router.

What's amazing is that US Cellular doesn't really know how much you've used either, their information is delayed by around 24 hours.

So you've got a 5 GByte cap with overages of 50 cents a MByte, and you can't really tell how much you've used.

US Cellular support has been telling me for a year and a half that this is a very difficult technical problem to solve (maybe for US Cellular) and that other carriers have the same issue. (they don't)

Update 8/10/2009: Starting August 3rd, 2009 US Cellular lowered the price of their 5 GByte-capped data service to $49.95 per month. After a drive to the store and informing their people about the new price they lowered my monthly bill to the new price.

They still don't do EVDO roaming and can't seem to come up with a consistent story about when or even if they will allow EVDO roaming in the future.

Original review: Here in the mountains of Western North Carolina we don't have many choices. Verizon dialup has so much hum, pops, and clicks on the line that we cannot connect much of the time. When we can connect it's usually at 21 kbps or 33 kbps. Our neighbors have the same problems and Verizon doesn't really seem to care - they just won't put in the effort to fix the problems. In our are the lines get hit by lightening often and they don't seem to have done any lightening damage abatement work.

Satellite has so many problems with support and poor throughput that we thought that we'd just forgo that headache. We have several neighbors that just see it as a big pain and money pit.

Next choice is a Verizon Wireless data card. Unfortunately we are in an area that can only barely pick up Verizon and roams on the local US Cellular site. Our only useful service is US Cellular. Unfortunately again US Cellular only offered 1XRTT, which can be worse than dialup at times. So we installed a large high gain antenna on the roof and coupled that with a cell amplifier and were able to barely get EVDO at about 300 kbps down and about 60 kbps up. When this worked we were pretty happy, even though we were paying $60 per month with a 5 Gbyte usage cap. Unfortunately (again) sometimes for no apparent weather or season related reason this would quit working. Hours and frustration on the phone with Verizon offered no relief, then it would start working again... Their final solution was to offer to let us out of our contract since the service had worked then stopped working.

We just heard that US Cellular had finally gotten wind of the whole data thing and finally got EVDO working in their local site. We went to the store and picked up a data card. It wouldn't do EVDO at first so I called support. They said that there was no EVDO in our area. ??? Called the store, they said that there was EVDO, just update the PRL using the software. I had tried that, but it failed. I tried it again, it worked, and we had EVDO! 1.3 Mbits down, 667 kbits up! I then took Verizon up on their offer to let us out of the contract.

I've noticed that US Cellular's wireless card seems to be much less sensitive than the Verizon card that we had. They are both made by Pantech. I've taken the card to several neighbors and it wouldn't connect until I hooked up an external antenna even though my Verizon card would. This is with one or even two bars on a cell phone. The Verizon card would roam on the US Cellular site (at 1XRTT) without an external antenna. The antenna with a cable and adapter is well under $100.

I haven't tried traveling with this card, I know that US Cellular doesn't have the best coverage. But they do have Alltel and Verizon as roaming partners. We still don't get EVDO on our Verizon cell phones when roaming on US Cellular, but US Cellular says that reciprocal roaming agreements are in place and its just a matter of distributing some codes and should be working by the end of July 2009.

The real down side to this is the 5 Gbyte per month cap. This limits many of the things that we'd like to do - distance learning, streaming audio and video, etc. It's a little pricey too for what it is. US Cellular doesn't seem to be a leader at all and just followed Verizon's pricing and terms of service. And their internal communications are very poor. But at least we now have a fast reliable Internet connection.

member for 12.6 years, 2717 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by waharper See Profile

• Location: Rocky Mount,Edgecombe,NC
Good "Works pretty much everywhere I go (Eastern North Carolina) even were verizon doesn't"
Bad "Have to pay extra to tether phone to laptop"
Overall "Works good, I can even watch netflix online movies with acceptable video quality."

3/25/10 Everything works fine. The only bummer is uscellular doesn't have 3g coverage in Raleigh, NC. I don't go their often though.

I upgraded my phone to a blackberry pearl flip 8230. I use there 3G network on the phone or I tether it to my laptop. It cost 10 extra bucks but it's worth it for me. I didn't really need a wireless card and pay extra for that on top of my phone service. US cellular just upgraded to 3G in my area in August.

The 3G network works great, I get download speeds anywhere from around 600kbs to 1000kbs. Downloads are slower around 100-200kbs. It is of course not like my cable internet but it works well.

Works great, always works. Customer service at my local store was exceptional.

edited for spelling

Well, apparently they have struck a deal with the wireless companies around Raleigh for 3G service, finally.

Comments:

Review by chelpt See Profile

• Location: La Crosse,La Crosse,WI
Good "Regional Carrier acts like a Big Pappa."
Bad "Not an 'actual' national carrier."
Overall "This works Great!"

The weekend after Thanksgiving (November, 2009), my wife had sought to participate in US Cellular's special offer of "ANY PHONE IS FREE". And luckily, she was in Milwaukee, WI and visiting family. The Milwaukee store still had the phone she was drooling for. The HTC Touch Pro 2. She's had the phone for nearly 5 months now, and it is still rock solid.

But enough about the phone... I'm here to talk about US Cellular.

Thank you! Thank you for allowing me to not listen about not getting work done during our long car rides between La Crosse, WI and the Milwaukee/Chicago areas. She is able to browse the internet and then get a phone call. I'm not sure if the phone call interrupts the internet yet, but it is pretty good.

Most of our travels are all over IL, WI and MN with just a little bit of Iowa mixed in. And with the national plan, talking has been just fine. With this phone, because of he WIFI, we don't worry much about roaming data (if there is any). If I did have a gripe, it is that the phone does not store the emails by default. Or if it does, it will delete what is on the server and then mirror the email accounts. So, POP mail has not been very useful.

But the features of combined internet, GPS, phone, photo, and video are awesome. Youtube works flawless. But when are you going to allow for Pandora?

Any ways, thank you USC.

Comments:

Review by kujars See Profile

• Location: French Creek,Upshur,WV
Good "Portable, Works even with a weak signal, acceptable latency"
Bad "24 Month Contract"
Overall "If you can make a call with a us cellular phone this will work"

I came from hughesnet and this service is great. I have very little cell service at my house and I still get a 160ms ping to google.com and my speeds are around 400-527kb/s down and 100kb/s up. I took it out to where i had a good signal and my status changed to 127ms ping to google and 1300kb/s down and 527kb/s up, All in all if you have no other broadband solution in your area and have a decent cell signal or you need a portable internet solution this is for you and at 50$ per month it is cheaper than most data card plans i've seen too. The signal strength indicator states I have a weak signal and no bars and it still works unlike AT&T's data card which seems to need at least 3 bars to work reliably.

Comments:

Review by mrkevin See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Hancock,ME
Good "works when you can see their tower"
Bad "Service is spotty"
Overall "I wish they covered more of the territory they claim"

I have been with US Cellular for 10 years. The service doesn't cover a large portion of what they claim to cover in their coverage map.(DownEast Maine) This is pain when you need to use it it the middle of nowhere.