AT&T Southwest page on DSLReports

Review by dmxrob6 See Profile

• Location: Boonville,Cooper,MO
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Uverse seems to be more reliable than the old DSL product"
Bad "Line Techs who won't do their job, Takes Months to Fix Problems (if they ever fix them)"
Overall "When things go wrong, and they will, get ready for a headache!"

After almost 4 months of terrible DSL service, static-laden voice service and probably 10 service calls, a new line ran from the splice pedestal to my house and countless tweeks to the NID and my wiring I've learned...

* Remember the old days when voice service outages received a 24-hour response? Forget about it. It's ancient history here in Missouri. AT&T technician told me they got rid of this in 2007. No dialtone? Better hope you don't have to call 911 because it might be a week before they fix it.

* What few remaining AT&T line techs that are left are overworked and under pressure to do more with less. Out of the 6 techs who worked in this town in the past, there is only one guy left. AT&T could care less about customer service -- it's all about how many folks they can layoff to make this quarter's numbers.

* If you have a problem with your voice service, forget about talking to anyone in America. Be prepared to talk to someone who doesn't understand english from god knows where who doesn't understand basic telephone terminology.

* If your DSL problem is sporadic forget about getting it fixed. Better hope half the town goes down or you aren't going to get anything solved. Bad port? Good luck getting that switched over.

* Be prepared to talk to tier 1 technicians who (if you are lucky they are American) just want you off the phone. Their solution to every problem is to "unplug the modem".

* Tier 2 support is better, but they have their hands tied. DSL Tier 2 will throw you over to voice telco support just to get you off the phone. The voice folks can't see anything to do with DSL stuff.

* Need a new line run to your NID box? Start praying. They will send out a contractor who will tear your yard up and do the crappiest job they can. Then that "new line" will lay by your NID for at least 3 weeks before anyone bothers to come out and hook it up.

* Want a refund for service interruptions? Don't expect it automatically -- no matter if your service was down for a month straight. Call up the non-english speaking support again and once they send you to the wrong department pray you get someone who understands and sends you to the right department. If you DO get lucky and DO get sent to the right department they will take care of you -- because they understand what a crappy company AT&T has turned into. The stories I heard from the American-based support folks who had been with the company for years was just horrifying.

* Oh, and don't forget the non-english speaking support folks will be on some 300bps VOIP connection that doesn't work and then take an attitude because you ask him to speak up or speak english.

In a nutshell, it has been 4 months of pure living hell getting our DSL and voice line fixed. Thank goodness for the few folks, including the wonderful line tech (who even gave me his own cell phone number so I could call him directly and bypass support) who still care. AT&T corporate could care less -- they want your money and nothing else.

Ma Bell must be rolling over in her grave.

*** Update as of 1-1-2011 ***

After AT&T finally came and buried a new line last fall, and then did some work in the junction box, we have been stable for the past 6 months. We rarely disconnect and even during weather events things seem stable. It appears that the bad line was the culprit all along.

It's a shame I had to go through such frustration to get things fixed. I did eventually get a $150 credit from AT&T after talking to some U.S.-based folks in their billing department.

*** Update as of 9-6-2011 ***

Two months ago everything went haywire again. This time I had severe static on the phone line as well. Numerous tech visits (at least 7) and no solution yet. They even sent out a retired premise tech who did a good job of updating some older wiring in the house, but didn't solve the problem. Voice people say call DSL people; DSL people say call voice people.

One tech suggested I upgrade to the new IPDSLAM service being branded as "U-verse HSI". So they will be here on Sept 8 to do that.

Very dissapointed, but as AT&T is the only game in town will have to just keep playing this game. So far have received about $70 in bill credits (but not until having to threaten to cancel).

** Update 10-7-2012 **
Over a year of unreliable connections. AT&T Corporate got involved. They could not get local field folks to do their job. If corporate can't get their own folks to do their job, what chance do we have of getting them to do anything? They would just close tickets without ever showing up.

** Update 7-8-2014 **
Swithed over to IP-DSL Uverse in 2012. Issues with bonding were causing a lot of the original problems, and new ground wires and bonding of pedestals took place after many, many, many calls to AT&T. Getting a pretty steady, reliable 12mbps service now for about 2 years.

Comments:

Review by rcman2 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Getting best possible speeds I can for my locale"
Bad "No complaints so far"
Overall "Looking forward to greats times w/Uverse"

Started out on AOL powered by SBC and had only one problem that turned out to be on SBC's end. The tech came out and was immediately pissed to learn that an Arkansas CSR had handled the call on the ticket from AOL. He also made me aware of the fact the Arkansas people never answer their f***ing phone and how all you get is their f***ing voicemail. The next F-word came out when he learned that SBC had D/C'd my DSL line( "They're not supposed to do that"). Everything turned out just fine and I was very happy with AOL and SBC through the whole ordeal. I got my letter from AOL on May 9th telling me they no longer could bundle so I needed a new ISP. I made the call to AOL who forwarded me over to SBC's migration dept so now the check goes to SBC and going on 1 month with no problems.

01/25/2008 Update: Speed is now closer to advertised at 2496/512

01/27/2008 Update: Now receiving 3008/512 Thank You ATT

06/23/2010 Update: Speed is Elite( 6016/768) and modem is currently 2wire

09/07/2011 Update: I will be leaving soon due to the new caps. My household has 2 HR22-100s, 1 XBOX 360, 1 PS3, 1 LG BD370, 1 HP Officejet 6500 wireless, and a desktop all as networked devices plus I stream netflix from said PS3 and BD370. This has put me over twice now so a new ISP is mandatory.

04/10/2012 Update: Have Earthlink now. Kept my 6/768 connection and no cap until January when ATT pulled the plug on Earthlink. Now at 3/512.

01/08/2014 Update: ATT Uverse now available in area so now have ATT Uverse MAX for a 1 yr term at 39.95. Advertised speed is 12/1 but tech noted we are about 8,000 FT from CO so we'll be closer to 9 down. No problems signing up, tech installing, or using service so far.

member for 12.3 years, 4102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by premiumdsl4v See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "reliable. ATT does try to help."
Bad "the annoying. Why cannot the machines just work as they are suppose to?"
Overall "outstanding"

·DIRECTV
·America Online
speed = fast during normal use, tricky when busy.

-router = [We purchased/not supplied by AT&T] Netgear

The DSL and voice phone can't seem to mix very well.

Addendum : so far so good; ATT appears to be keeping the phone versus DSL degradation to nothing. have not heard "any voices".

Comments:

Review by jimkyle See Profile

• Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma,OK
Good "Excellent on-line support"
Bad "Company web pages badly out of date"
Overall "Good value and extremely reliable"

UPDATE 2 on 9 November 2013:

For a number of reasons, I finally swapped my DSL service for Uverse as of four days ago. The primary reason was cost: after adding up what I was paying AT&T for POTS + DSL, and DirectTV for TV access, the 24-month price for a Uverse triple-play package (specially configured to match or exceed my existing installation) amounted to slightly less than half that much!

I should note that my bills are probably not representative of the average user; I have two POTS lines, and my DSL was the 5-static-IP package, so my $170/month cost for POTS + 3Mbit DSL was a bit high. Incidentally, I had serious problems with billing at the older changeover. While the web pages and the confirmation snail-mail from AT&T both said the DSL would be $55/month when I upgraded from 1536 Mbits, the initial bill was more than twice that. After two full months of telephone tag with an AT&T manager I finally got it down to $60/month, and eventually got the overpayment credited, but it left a very sour taste in my mouth where AT&T and their billing practices are concerned. I'm wary that something similar may show up with my initial Uverse bill.

With only four days experience I cannot yet have any in-depth report, but so far I've not experienced any of the horrors that the Uverse forum here report. The most disturbing thing to date has been the problem I encountered trying to set "pinholes" in the firewall of the Uverse modem/router -- a 2Wire 3801HGV unit -- for my FTP and Email servers. Its administrator access password isn't where everyone I asked told me to find it! Once I did locate it, though, configuration was a cinch, even easier than my previous 3347. I now have 18 Mbit internet, which is quite a jump from 3 Mbit and makes huge transfers much less tedious. Installation took almost 5 hours total, most of which was spent pulling cable around the outside of my house for the TV connection, and drilling through the brick wall into my home office for the lines to the modem. The installer totally replaced the NID, as well; it was a bit more than 30 years old. However the underground copper seems to not have been touched.

As on all AT&T residential accounts for the past 5 years, port 25 is blocked and they refuse to unblock it unless I change to a business account -- which would destroy the cost advantage for which I made the switch. I'm changing my outgoing email configuration to solve that little problem, though, and don't expect any trouble from it.

I did find that one of the TV receivers, connected via wireless, was getting very low signal strength; it fluctuated between two and three bars on the wireless receiver's display panel. Moving the wireless receiver from a location below the TV to one above it raised the signal strength enough to show four bars most of the time, never below three, and the frequent slight pixellation vanished. Aside from that, picture quality seems to be noticeably better than I was getting from DirecTV, and hopefully I won't lose signal during thunderstorms -- which are frequent here in OKC.

So far as phone service goes, the only difference I've found so far is an absence of background noise. Haven't yet run a test on my FAX line to see if it's working okay, but I was assured that it would. Porting my existing phone numbers went quite smoothly.

All in all, I'm a happy camper again at this point, although a bit apprehensive about what that first bill is going to be...

UPDATE on 28 January 2012:

At 4 p.m. on January 24, I suddenly lost all internet connectivity about 4 p.m. Central time. Calling AT&T service eventually got me to a human (with an almost incomprehensible accent), and after some discussion I managed to elevate the issue to Tier 2, and got there after only 27 minutes on hold for the transfer. The very nice person at Tier 2 examined my account record and told me a change order had discontinued my grandfathered 5-true-sticky plan and replaced it with the current 5-pseudo-static-via-PPPoE offering, in the process changing all of my IPs and thus invalidating all of my off-site references in addition to making it necessary to reconfigure all of my equipment to regain connectivity. She also said it would be impossible to reverse the change even though I had not requested it.

Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. However, the Tier 2 tech did give me the new IP set and the newly required network password, which should have enabled me to get back on line quickly (after rearranging my equipment so that I could log into PPPoE and use the new IPs).

It didn't work. The PPPoE login did not assign the new IP. Instead, it assigned me the IP that I had been using as my outgoing gateway of the old true-static IP block, and that address refused to let me go anywhere. I called back about 11 p.m.; it was easier to reach Tier 2 this time. The second tech reviewed the notes from my first call, and informed me that the order had not completed for some reason. He attempted to force its completion while I remained on the phone, and reported success. I saw no immediate change except that I was now pulling the gateway address for my new IP block; that still would not allow me to get any closer to the internet however. The tech advised that it might take the rest of the night for changes to propagate across all involved DNS servers, but assured me that all would be well by morning. He also gave me a case number to use, just in case I still had a problem the next day.

I was glad to have it, because nothing changed overnight. A third call to Tier 2 (the case number got me immediate transfer, and by then I had learned how to bypass the machine-programmed triage questions) told me that the order was still incomplete. The tech had to put me on hold for several minutes while consulting with the business office to determine why he could not force completion, but when he came back and told me to give it another try, I was successful in reaching the outside world. The problem wasn't fully solved yet, but at least I could come here and ask for help from the experienced forum members!

For one thing, I was still unable to use the five "usable" IP addresses of the new block, although the Tier 2 techs had assured me that at least the first of the five would be assigned automatically when I connected. Even more pressing was the fact that my wife's machine, located at the other end of the house and connected via 75 feet of Cat5 running through the walls and attic, was totally unable to connect to my router now, although it had been working perfectly with the old setup. After an entire evening and much of the next day checking configurations at both ends, I gave up and called my favorite repairman. He showed up about 5 p.m. on Thursday, verified that my configuration settings were correct at both ends of the line, and then began testing the cable itself -- which had patch cords at both ends, with the long run terminated in wall sockets at each end. Both patch cords tested out okay. The long cable showed an open conductor. For a number of reasons, repairing it is no longer an option, so the fallback solution was to install a USB wireless adapter on her machine and connect to the router in that manner.

However by that time, all the parts houses here had closed, so it was 10 a.m. Friday before I was able to obtain the adapter. Once I had it in place, connection was straightforward. One problem mostly solved!

While waiting to obtain the adapter, I continued my research and discussion here, and learned that it was necessary to make a slight change in my login ID to enable the "static" IP assignments to work. Not one of the three Tier 2 techs had informed me of that requirement although all three had told me that my existing ID would work properly (and it did work, although not completely properly).

I also learned that my WRT54G would not be able to handle multiple IPs, anyway; they will require a 3347 router (at $100 from AT&T). I also discovered that the new plan's price is more than $30/month lower than my old plan, so I'll be waiting to see whether that's reflected in my next bill! I'll also be investigating moving to a higher speed than the current 1536/256.

Making the change to the login ID has not yet had any effect on the IP assignments, so I cannot report that the situation has fully resolved at this time. Operation is still somewhat flaky, with intermittent packet loss as great as 20% according to the line quality tests here, and some of those packet loss situations may be responsible for an intermittent inability to connect to the outside world (which is usually fixed by simply repeating the attempt immediately).

Bottom line: I no longer have such a good feeling about my AT&T service, but have not yet become sufficiently disgusted with it to fall back on Cox Cable; UVerse would still be AT&T (although I've seen reports that moving from DSL to UVerse may be forced before much longer). It won't take much more, though, to tip the scales the other way...

ORIGINAL (much happier) REVIEW:

In my city, only two non-dialup options were available when I decided to get better speed. They were Cox Cable's @home service, and SBC's ADSL (with several resellers but only one actual plant). Having grown totally disillusioned with service from Cox (and dropping their cable in favor of a satellite dish for TV), that left me only one option.

I initially ordered basic residential service in April of 2000, as soon as it became available in my area. Because of distance from the CO and weak signal, I had to be capped at 384K download in order to have the service at all. Nevertheless that was still much better than dial-up and I was quite happy with it until encountering an EMI problem in late summer of 2002. While searching for a solution to that I discovered that an RT had been available in my area since November 2000 although I had not been notified of the possibility to upgrade my account.

I immediately ordered service on my second POTS line, to take advantage of the RT without down time, and placed my order on-line. It was confirmed, but the due date came and went with nothing happening. When I called, the sales rep could find no trace of the order; I placed it again, upgrading it to the 1500/256 5-static-IP business service since I do use the line for my data recovery service. This time, things happened exactly on schedule, and thanks to the official SBC reps here in the Southwestern Bell forum, I now have true broadband service, free of problems.

In the past five years I've had no significant signal outages, although my original modem (SpeedStream 5260) is showing its age and the replacement I bought at the time of the upgrade (5360) is also getting long in the tooth. Looks like I'll need to pick up a 4100 before long. (Edit as of December 2007: Both of the old modems finally did give up the ghost, and I'm now using a 4100 which does a great job.)

The company itself seems not to have many clues about using their web sites to best advantage, though. The help files are hopelessly out of date. Placing an on-line order simply didn't work, even though I received a "confirmation" E-mail message. The excellent support provided in the forum here, however, more than compensates for that shortcoming. I've learned more about the technical details of getting and keeping good service in the years that I've been active here, than I could ever hope to discover elsewhere.

Not long after I moved to the RT, the company discontinued true static IPs in favor of "sticky PPPoE" addresses. Were it not for that and the fact that any changes to my service would convert me to PPPoE connections, I'd take advantage of the price changes that would give me 6000/768 speeds for the same price I pay for 1536/512. Since I use a Linux box as my firewall and router, I'm unwilling to switch to PPPoE at all, and continue the service unchanged.

Bottom line: I'm a mostly happy camper, and advise anyone considering the choice between SBC and other providers to visit the forum here and get the real low-down before making any decisions. It's now been 5 years since I made the service change from CO to RT, and it's still performing excellently even though my costs are not in line with current standards.t

member for 11.7 years, 5492 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OldKid1943 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "As I remember it, the installer did a lot of extra things. Tech Support is almost always helpful."
Bad "On site phone line repairman split a pair to repair a noisey line. I guess that's a no-no."
Overall "I have nothing to compare to, but it seems to be expensive at 48.00 a month."

My original speed was for under $20 years ago. It was for up to 1.5 mbps. I upgraded to 3.0mbps 5 months ago. It's now 48.08 per month.

Easy to order and installer was very good.

2Wire 2701 installed

Complained about a bad line for over a year before they found the problem and replaced the line.

Comments:

Review by Darkfire See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Lots of bandwith, reasonable price, all around not bad!"
Bad "Dynamic IP but thier packages for the static IP is nice!"
Overall "Pretty decent and worth the money"

In the race for good and reliable internet providers Southwestern Bell is that and more. They stand out in the market for ISP's by not being an overpriced unreliable provider. Though their software may not be up to par because it crashes, they definitely deliver the goods when it come to fast, easy, and reliable service. Since I have gotten their service I have gotten speeds around 1140/128 kilobits per second, which very good in my mind. They have also not been down since i have had it. The downfall for me is that the IP's are dynamic which means they change ever so often, but otherwise it's good. So if you're looking for a trusting service dont go for those companies who are just out to get you money but rely on the one of the best in the race for broadband DSL , Southwestern Bell because they know what they're doing.

Comments:

Review by snerd See Profile

• Location: Lawton,Comanche,OK
Good "Good lord, this review was 8 years old! LOL! I can't believe I paid $45 for Elite back then! It's $19.95 now!"
Bad "Yahoo Software - Still don't install or use it."
Overall "I just got DSL back as a backup for my 15/1 Cable Internet. It can bog down in Prime Time some nights."

Update 7/8/04: I happened to be hanging around the boards here when SBC offered the 6000/608 deal for $44.95 back in February of '04. I jumped on that deal, and it's been blazing speeds ever since! No problems with service or billing. Dumped the Linksys router for a Cayman 3546 router/modem combo. It's performed flawlessly for me.

=================================================================

Have only been up for 2 days, but all went very smooth. Ordered the Deluxe package online, got both e-mail and phone confirmations. Setup package arrived the day before it was to be turned on, so I hooked it up and it was already online with 1180/245 speeds! Sure beats the local cable company speeds of 650-700/64-90. And it's also cheaper for the first year!

I did not install any of their software, especially the Yahoo stuff. I connect direct through my Linksys router's pppoe. So far so good....... very happy with SBC DSL so far!

member for 12.5 years, 1084 visits, last login: 135 days ago

Comments:
bevyw6

join:2012-12-05
Cedar Hill, TX

new motorola dsl box getting IP address changed

I have had 3 pcs that are now no good because some one has been hacking into my home wired dsl box. I purchased a new dsl modem and another pc. Someone is still controlling my line. Its been happening for at least 6 months. My husband and I have spent way to much money on the geek, pcs you name it. We are very frustrated. PLEASE Help.
Thanks so much
bevyw
CompTech210

join:2008-09-14
San Antonio, TX

Re: new motorola dsl box getting IP address changed

What do you mean someone is hacking into your wired dsl box? Please elaborate some and sounds like you may have either a faulty modem or maybe an issue with the wiring somewhere on AT&T's side.

Review by bkoeni1 See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "Once they get you working ... it really works !!!"
Bad "I'm capped at 384k due to my distance from the CO"
Overall "Expect start-up problems, keep your cool, don't get mad, don't point fingers"

·Charter
I switched to Charter Cable for my HSI service provider due to Charter being able to provide me with much faster speeds than DSL offered.

Update 03/20/2010 - I have had very stable service for the last several months because I'm capped and on an interleaved line.

AT&T sent a tech out on a truck roll around the end of September, 2009 after I kept losing sync on the modem. I had replaced the modem with a spare I had and I still kept losing sync; so I called for help. The tech made some wiring changes at the NID and that didn't solve the problem so he did some testing and determined that I needed to be capped at 768/384. I told him that I was previously capped and interleaved and he explained what had changed at AT&T. His explanation was that AT&T had been sued by several customers recently for capping customers speed in an effort to provide them with quality DSL service. He explained that the customers claimed that they didn't request the cap and were paying a higher price than the price they should be paying with the cap in place. He said AT&T decided to uncap all DSL customer's speeds in an effort to avoid litigation. He said that was why I was seeing much higher speeds the first part of September, 2009. He continued to explain that at one point when my speeds increased, the number of errors on my line increased to the point where most of the data packets were in error and were being re-transmitted several times per packet and therefore the sync issues. Anyway, he ended up capping my speeds and placing my line back on interleave after obtaining my permission and the monthly cost of my DSL service was lowered from $24.95 to $19.95. All this because I'm over 14k wire-feet from my CO. I also don't expect U-Verse to be available anytime soon in my older neighborhood as AT&T ran new copper from the CO to my neighborhood at the end of last summer.

Update 9/17/2009 - My speeds have increased! This happened back in July, 2009. My speed tests began showing 1000+/384 and have been running 800+/384 for the last two months. I didn't make any changes on my end. I did notice that there were several problems with the modem losing sync above 1000. Good work AT&T.

Update 3/27/2009 - I've been paying $25.00 per month for the last four months on the Express plan. I was offered a lower rate when I changed some of my options on my land line. My connection has been excellent for the past year as I've had no outages at all. I'm still capped at 384/384 but recently, my speeds have been running 353/322 (Speakeasy Dallas speedtest). I've not had the need to contact customer support recently. All of the telephone cables have been recently updated (replaced on the poles) in my neighborhood which has increased the stability of my connection.

Update 3/16/2008 - I've been paying $34.95 per month for over a year now for the Express plan and still capped at 384k. I have a second landline here at my home that I use for monitoring my alarm and voice and the AT&T online application that you use to see if DSL service is available in my area tells me that it is not available for the second line; so I realize that I am really far from my CO (line distance).

As far as service is concerned, I've had a very stable connection and stable (slow) speeds up and down for well over a year now. I've not had to contact AT&T support at all. I changed out my ADSL modem from an older Westell Wirespeed to a Speedstream 5100 after the Westell failed and have had no problems at all.

Update - I agreed to another 12 month commitment at the $14.95 a month rate and am being billed for $28.58 per month. On 9/11/2005, my minimum latency (as measured by BBR test) jumped from 55.2ms to 124ms. I also went from 14ms to 24ms to my first hop! Web pages were not rendered completely as some frames never loaded on non-cached pages. I received more error messages trying to render a web page than I can remember. Nothing has changed on my end. I used the SBC Direct support forum on BBR and was finally downgraded from interleaved 384/384 to fast path 192/128. Now it's slower than ever! I continued to check my latency using the BBR test and on Oct 5, my latency dropped to 67.3ms (from 122ms the day before). I just ran another latency test and it's back to 124ms.

I'm nearing my 3rd anniversary with SBC ADSL (Jan 1, 2001). My service has been very good during the last year with very few outages and few problems. My only desire is for higher upload and download speed. I'm still capped at 384 kbps due to my 14,000 ft (wire) distance from my CO. I live in an older neighborhood in Fort Worth and there is no Remote Terminal. We have older copper lines in my area. Within the last few months, my upload speed has gone from 108 kbps to 94 kbps with my download pretty steady at 324 kbps.

Everything is pretty normal with my ADSL service from SBC/Yahoo. I've had ADSL service for over two years now and have very few outages, usually whenever my pots service goes out, my ADSL service goes with it. This has happened twice in the past twelve months. Each time the problem has been external from my premises and has been fixed within 24 hours.

I've run a home-run from my NID directly to my Westell ADSL modem and installed a Siecor splitter at my NID. I continue to be capped at 384 down and am continuously experiencing about 318 down and 107 up. I have been told that I am 14,000 wire feet from my local CO. Other than the two outages mentioned above, I have had no reason to contact SBC about my DSL service.

It has been over a year now since I first got Southwestern Bell DSL (Jan 1, 2001). They raised my monthly rate from $39.95 to $49.95 after my first year of service. The first several months of service were hit and miss and SWB seemed to have problems providing me with quality service. I continually lost sync on my modem. I reported so many problems to ASI that SWB actually tried to cancel my DSL service two different times. I was determined to keep it as I really thought it should work. For the past 6 months, I have had very few problems with my DSL service. I leave my PC connected all the time and I always seem to have sync. My download speeds vary between 306 - 319 kbps (I'm capped at 384kbps because of my distance being so far from the CO). I had ASI uncap me and I immediately lost sync, so I guess I'm stuck at this speed. I live in an older neighborhood and have older telephone lines.

As far as service goes, ASI and SWB seem to have their act together at this point. The last time I called ASI and reported a problem, it was handled promptly and I really got the impression everyone involved was knowledgeable of what the other person was doing. At this point, I'm satisfied with my DSL service from SWB. I always wish for faster download speeds and I think the monthly rate is a bit high for the speeds I'm getting; but it beats the problems associated with cable.

I have left my original review in-tact below for those who are interested.

I put in my original request for ADSL via SWBELL's web page. I received an e-mail back in three days with an acknowledgement, but no install date. Received my self-install kit within two weeks. I heard nothing until an ASI tech showed up at my front door on Monday, Dec 11, 2000 to check for a DSL signal. He indicated I had a strong DSL signal and told me to go ahead with the install. I did the self-install without any problems, but I didn't have sync at the DSL modem. I called ASI and was told my turn-on date wasn't until Monday, Dec 18, 2000. I waited all day Monday thinking it would somehow sync but it never did. Called ASI back on Tuesday and they scheduled a tech to come out to check DSL signal strength again. Tech showed up on Dec 22, 2000 and tested DSL signal strength. He reported that it was too weak and he would turn in a trouble ticket with SWBELL.

The next contact I had was on Tuesday morning, Dec 26, 2000 when another ASI tech showed up to check the DSL signal strength again. He reported a strong DSL signal but a 70db attenuation on the line at the network interface. He called another ASI tech and I talked to him. He gave me two options, box it all up and send it back or he could put in a request to SWBELL to condition my line. He indicated my line was adjacent to T1s & T3s and he reported a bridge tap present on my line. I opted for the line conditioning as I knew that I was only 8913 feet from my CO. Another week went by and on Jan 1, 2001 at 5pm, an ASI tech left me a voice mail message saying that I had a strong DSL signal at my network interface and that if I could not get sync now, I must have an inside wiring problem in my home. I turned on the DSL modem and I had sync !!! My speed tests indicate that I am getting 315 kbps down and 106 kbps up. I'm paying the $39.95 a month fee for 384/128. I received the Speedstream 5260 modem. I am on PPPoE and have a dynamic IP. I configured my new mail/news account to work with MS Outlook express and this works just fine. I use IE 5.5, not Netscape. This certainly beats 56k dial-up speeds. I have had no other problems since Monday, Jan 1, 2001.

member for 13.6 years, 5946 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by no__1__here See Profile

• Location: Tomball,Harris,TX
Good "Very reliable connection, good latency"
Bad "Lack of bandwidth for my neighborhood; Lack of bundle or contract pricing now (though some would say no contract is good)"
Overall "Great service at an okay price"

UPDATE (Aug 2012): Same plan, same bandwidth, same story. Would love to upgrade but U-verse is not an option. I have no idea why it isn't, since the neighborhood is not all that old and others around us have the option... Clear's latency is off-putting. I shudder to consider Comcast, but I have several times. But so far I am still on DSL. I ticked the 'value-for-money' downward one notch ($30 for 3Mbps).

Besides my lack-of-bandwidth options, I would love to change over to a dry-loop but I don't want to deal with the mess of the cut-over. Why AT&T can't simply change it "at the box" is crazy to me.

UPDATE (Aug 2011): Still using the same service. At this point would like the option of more bandwidth but my neighborhood tops out at my existing 3MB.

UPDATE (Nov 2007): Ditto April 2007. No problems, no contract. Same bundle and price.

UPDATE (April 2007): Continue to have no problems with the service. Pro plan has gone up to flat rate of $25/month (no contract). Not too happy about that, considering how much other money I give AT&T/SBC every month. Should get a bundle discount at least, even if they don't want to do contract pricing any longer (yes, I did call and ask).

UPDATE (Aug 2006): No problems to speak of, so still happy with the service. Pro plan now at $15/month.

UPDATE (Feb 2006): Have since moved, but still have Pro. Still great speeds & latency. No problems to speak of, really. The move went without a hitch (actually SBC had the DSL up 3 days early!).

UPDATE (2004): Now on the "Pro" plan (384k/3000k). I pretty much get all of that.

ORIGINAL (2003):
I have the 128k/384-1500k PPPoE plan (I get around 1300). Think it was $39 - $10 discount for 12 month contract when I signed up. I was previously using DirecTV DSL (hey -- you got 5 static IP's included!). There were some issues around the DirecTV disconnect/SBC reconnect for the DSL service, but I believe that was more a DTV problem than SBC. Other than that the install went well.

I have had a handful of outages in the past year, but most have been 5 minutes or less. The only "major" outage lasted about two days, and was due to an ATM line card problem in my RT. The only other problem was extreme packet loss (>30%) due to my pair being wet (which was repaired within 4 hours).

Overall I am very pleased with my service. I've only dealt with tech support twice, and both times they have honestly tried to be helpful. My only complaint is that they wouldn't let me cut to the chase (heh, I'm a network engineer myself) and needed to go down their "troubleshooting card".

BTW, if you have SBC and have a problem, your very first stop should be the SBC forum on this site. Great guys in there who can help you quickly.

member for 10.7 years, 1908 visits, last login: 101 days ago

Comments:

Review by hga See Profile

• Location: Joplin,Jasper,MO
Good "Rock solid."
Bad "A bit expensive if you just consider speed/cost and included usage of 150GB/month"
Overall "If you aren't a heavy video user and want reliablity without paying big bucks go with AT&T DSL"

Because of their technical culture vs. the cable companies I've only gone with telephone company broadband service, Verizon (2001-2004) and now AT&T: 2004 or 5-6 at one house, 2007 to now at my apartment although I still help maintain my parents' 2 AT&T DSL connections; this review reflects the experiences of all three connections. UPDATE: Now down to two connections after my apartment was trashed by the May 22nd 2011 Joplin, MO tornado.

I've enjoyed rock solid service. It's not fast, their "Express" at 1.5 Mbps/384 Kbps, but with only a few special case/unusual exceptions the service has been absolutely reliable. I don't knock them for a days long power outage from an ice storm that eventually drained DSLAM batteries or the squirrel who immolated himself on a transformer and knocked down a power line that induced enough current in the phone line to toast a 2Wire modem/router.

The only problem of note was a very strange intermittent fault that I and others who were affected helped AT&T diagnose on their dedicated forum on this site. They swapped out all the hardware they could and eventually in desperation air freighted in a replacement for the Cisco box that serves SW Missouri from Springfield (home -DSL> DSLAM -ATM> Cisco box and AT&T's internal Internet). These things happen (I've been playing the networking game since 1982 (sic) or so) and they handled it as well as anyone would.

When this particular line (UPDATE: no longer in service, see above) was brought into service in 2007 the DSLAM line card was bad (voice worked but DSL didn't really); one phone call got a service guy out there within a day as I recall (maybe hours???). He called me to make sure he'd fixed and and told me this apartment's new copper was as hoped for very good and I indeed get pretty much the provisioned up and down speeds.

Other nice things about the AT&T network:

Skype and Internet radio at 56Kbps work very well with only a glitch in a blue moon (and it's not clear who's at fault then).

They've got two stratum 2 Network Time Protocol servers that are open for their customers and that are 0.025 seconds away from me.

But the bottom line is that their service is very reliable. If you're not so demanding of raw speed but it has to be there whenever you need it seriously consider them.

UPDATE: No changes to the above, except of course the price has gone up and of course AT&T now includes only 150 GB/month with it; as I recall $10 for each 50 GB over. If any of us were inclined to cut the "cable" cord AT&T wouldn't be a good option, and the cap discourages me from upgrading the speed of the line. AT&T U-verse will probably never be available in our town (and even then that only ups the bundled usage to 250GB/month) ... but these are of course well known problems for everyone using AT&T. Still just as reliable, which is the primary reason we're sticking to it.

member for 6.2 years, 1609 visits, last login: a few hours ago