EPB Fiber Optics page on DSLReports

Review by Vcize3 See Profile

• Location: Chattanooga,Hamilton,TN
Good "Super reliable, no data caps, no modem that needs finicky resets"
Bad "Literally nothing"
Overall "The best internet service that I have EVER used"

·Digis
I recently moved out of Chattanooga and EPB fiber is probably the thing I miss most. It may seem weird to miss the internet service most from a city that I really liked, but EPB was THAT good.

When we first moved to the area we had Comcast hooked up (EPB fiber was not yet available in our area) and I'm pretty sure I spent more time on the phone with support than I did actually using their internet service. Speeds were OK when it was working, but there were ALWAYS problems.

When EPB became available in the area we switched immediately. In 3 years of using the service we had one minor blip where the internet went out for maybe 10 seconds. In 3 years, that's it. Incredible. There's no modem to get bogged down that needs resetting, I actually got the speeds that were promised, and it was basically the same price as Comcast's unreliable junk. It was also great that the blazing speeds came alongside no data caps, so I was free to use cloud storage/backups to my heart's content, something that I badly miss now in the days of services like Bitcasa that are rendered unusable by my new, data capping ISP.

I remember living in the area and seeing Comcast run ads about people switching from EPB to Comcast. I have no doubt those were paid actors because there is no way any sane individual would make that switch. EPB is by far the best ISP I've ever used and is one of the few good guys in a business full of corruption and bad services protected by heinous government regulation.

Comments:

Review by stonewall264 See Profile

• Location: Hixson,Hamilton,TN
Good "Reliable connection. Consistently fast internet speeds. Outstanding customer service."
Bad "TV service could use some improvements."
Overall "Easily the best service in the area."

I've had EPB Fiber service since 2010. Over the years, EPB has constantly improved their services at a rapid pace, yet with minimal price increases. Ordering was done over the phone and was a breeze. Initial installation was a bit complicated since my home has buried utilities, requiring multiple truck rolls to get everything done. This increased installation time, but they never ran into any problems that required my intervention. A week after installation was completed, the ONT power supply failed, requiring a service call. EPB came out that day and had it fixed quickly- simply amazing service from a cable company.

I ordered the "Triple Play" package with (now) 100Mbps internet, HD TV, and basic phone. The discounts for bundling are very good.

The internet service is the star of the show here. When EPB advertises 100Mbps, they really do deliver those speeds, any time of day, period. Connection reliability is top notch, other than a few drop outs when the service was fairly new. EPB uses no apparent traffic shaping or throttling, so performance is great for any service such as torrents. Most ports are left open, with the exception of Port 25. Best of all, there are no apparent usage caps or limits, something that seems to be dropping out of favor with the big ISPs. It's hard to ask for anything better internet wise, EPB is simply the best.

TV Service is great as well, with a few caveats. EPB uses the Microsoft Mediaroom IPTV platform with Cisco/Scientific Atlanta set top boxes. Since the system is IP based, a total of 6 HD channels can be watched/recorded across every box. The guide UI looks great on a HDTV, and offers some additional features, such as a picture-in-picture type app called SmartView. Unfortunately the guide can be a bit sluggish sometimes, especially when opening applications. A multi-room DVR feature is included that works very well. The main box does all the recording, while the other boxes set or watch recordings and can control live TV as well. The HDD in the DVR appears to be 160GB, which is a little small, and as usual, the external USB ports can't be used to expand it. Picture quality is overall quite good, with less macroblocking on HD channels than cable thanks to the more efficient MPEG4 compression. However, SD picture is a little too soft in comparison. Once very nice advantage of EPB's TV is that the "basic cable" tier is unscrambled analog, so you can connect multiple TVs without more set top boxes.

Phone service is exactly what you would expect. All the various calling features and voicemail are included, and voice quality is clear. The ONT has a backup battery that can power the system for a few hours during a power outage, however, once the battery goes out, there is no other way to power it up since everything is hardwired into the smart meter (of course).

Overall, EPB delivers an outstanding product that has only minor faults. Service of this quality is hard to come by in the US, especially with the outstanding local tech support. If you are lucky to live in EPB's service area, it's hard to go with anything else.

Comments:

Review by PBNewman See Profile

• Location: Chattanooga,Hamilton,TN
Good "real live, polite, knowledgeable, local 24-hour customer service representatives"
Bad "printed billing statement can be confusing & online account management could be more user friendly"
Overall "absolutely the best, not just due to poor competitors, but actually an asset to this community."

With its 100% fiber optic network supporting speeds of up to 1 gig/second and an enterprise-wide commitment to support and advance the Chattanooga metro area it serves, EPB Fiber Optic is far and away the best ISP, period. I think they can be a model for other communities and the development of viable alternatives to big name providers such as Comcast and UVERSE.

Comments:

Review by Malor See Profile

• Location: Chattanooga,Hamilton,TN
Good "Incredible service"
Bad "Some issues with the box, now resolved"
Overall "The best service in the United States."

Fourth edit, 9/17/2013: they changed everything today. There are now two tiers of service: 100Mbit bidirectional for $58/mo, and gigabit bidirectional for $70/mo, plus $5 in junk fees.

Yes, that's right, they are now delivering **gigabit to my house** for $75/mo. To my house! My first modem was 2400 baud: this is, near as I can figure, 416,000 times faster. I now have more bandwidth to my house than probably the entire city had, where I grew up.

I've attached my new Speedtest result, and you can see the original file here:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2972820055.png

Third edit, still 10/1/2012: It occurs to me that I should also link the Speedtest result, because folks might think the shot I uploaded is faked. It's on their servers here:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2188551934.png

Second update, shortly after the one just below: Hey, I can attach pictures now! Here's a shot of the Speedtest results. Note that Speedtest doesn't seem to measure upload properly; a closer server gave me about the same result for download, but only 75Mbit upload. I'm nearly certain that the low upload number in that shot is because of Speedtest, not EPB.

Update, 10/1/2012:

The service was upgraded in the last couple of weeks. The old 30/30, 50/50, and 100/100 tiers are now 50/50, 100/100, and 250/250, so I now have 250 megabits. Into my house.

As I mention below, once they switched the port to gigabit, that fixed an ongoing problem I had for ages. But now that the the midgrade plan is 100/100, this may be more of an issue for more people. I'd suggest making sure you use a Gigabit Ethernet device to plug into the wall port. If you plug in with regular Fast Ethernet, 100/100 speed, you might potentially have the same problem I did, with daily disconnects and, about every 2-3 months, a near-total crash of the connection, requiring a call into the service center for them to reboot the box. They may have fixed this already, but if you use a gigabit Ethernet device, you shouldn't run into it at all.

Note that 250 megabits is scary, scary fast, and there are very few consumer routers that can handle it. Check smallnetbuilder for reviews. What I did, for myself, was to use a rackmount 1.6Ghz Atom box, with a 4-port Intel NIC, running Linux. This works fabulously well, but it was really expensive, several hundred dollars, and I have to be my own sysadmin, keeping up on my Linux patches, and I had to build my own rule set, which is not for the faint of heart. If you aren't already expert with Linux networking, this is probably not a good solution. But, if you are, I can report that a 1.6GHz Atom has no problem pushing 250 megabits with a few dozen connections, using a fairly complex rules set, including two separate internal networks. (DMZ and trusted).

Original review starts here:

This is, very simply, an incredible service. The bandwidth is first-rate, and it's symmetric, meaning you have as much upload speed as download. You can upload videos to Youtube as fast as you can receive them, and you can easily host local servers, assuming you can get along okay on a single DHCP address.

EPB mostly doesn't care what you do with their bandwidth, as long as it's not spam or illegal. The only blocked port is outbound 25. I have 100 megabit service, and I really do get 100 megabits, both ways, at the same time.

It is absolutely unreal, better than anything you can buy anywhere in the country that runs to your house. You can get better bandwidth at colocation facilities, but it's far more expensive there.

I had issues for the first few months where, about once a day, the fiber box would essentially freeze up and drop all my connections -- it would be frozen for about a minute, so everyone using any service I was running would be kicked off. And about once every three months, the whole connection would freeze up almost completely and require a reboot of the box, which took a phone call into the service center. I'm running a streaming audio server locally, and this was VERY frustrating.

But about six weeks ago, they finally seem to have fixed the problem; they changed the port from 100 megabit to gigabit, and set a speed throttle instead of a port throttle, and that cleared the problem right up. I assume the box has a bug where running 100Mb service on a 100Mb port causes some kind of buffer accumulation and eventual crash, as the data is showing up from the larger network much faster than a mere 100 megabits. Running the port in gigabit mode, I assume, lets the throttling engine do its thing, instead of the code that tries to queue packets onto the physical port. That code appears to have problems, where the throttling code works properly.

If you want 100Mb service from this company, make certain that you're using an external device that supports gigabit, and you should be deliriously happy. If your external device only supports 100, you may have the same issue I did, rendering the connection unsuitable for use to run servers. If you want to host services for others, and your firewall/router is only 100 megabit, you will probably be happier on 50 megabit service than 100.

The tech support department is very nice, very easy to deal with, and the installers were pretty good. The first installer I had didn't do a very good job, but when I complained, they sent someone out who really knew what he was doing, and he got the wall port installed flush.

If you live in Chattanooga and you don't have this service, consider yourself whacked with a rolled-up newspaper. If you're using Comcast, you are being very silly.

(and, yes, I am new to DSL reports, although I've been reading here off and on for many years, but this is not a shill review. My only association with EPB is that I pay them, and they give me bandwidth.)

Comments:

RobinM
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN

Re: Upload speed

I am also getting those results. My download speed is right, but the upload numbers are WAY off. I have no idea what the issue is, but I believe it is with the speed test, not my actual speed. If you ever figure this out, please let me know.

Thanks

...

Use this speed test, guys. »speedtest.epbfi.com/epbfiberoptics

This is hosted at EPB and will let you know for certain that you're getting what you pay for.
Speedtest.net is known to be bad at measuring upload for those with high upload speeds.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state
·Verizon Broadban..
·DIRECTV

SPEED

Wow! Your connection is 500 times faster than mine.

Review by keithps See Profile

• Location: Soddy Daisy,Hamilton,TN
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Nothing now"
Overall "Considering the options are AT&T or Comcast, you can't go wrong"

I moved into a house with a friend that had EPB fiber already installed, however he told me his experience with the install was great. The only downside to the install is you have to wait a few days as they are booked constantly with people switching from Comcast and AT&T. We have the 50/50 package and usually always get a pretty solid 50-52Mbps transfer.

Update 3-8-2011

I haven't had any problems with disconnects in the last month or so. Everything seems to be rather peachy now.

Update 6-16-11

So, I've discovered that EPB will change your IP address on a daily basis if you do massive uploading (such as 50GB or more a day). I can only presume this is to prevent you from running a server.

Update 4-4-2012

Still doing well. In the time since the last update (6-16-2011) I think the internet service has gone down a total of about 3 times, never for more than an hour or so. Have uploaded and downloaded a ton, between myself and my roommate, well over 2TB a month at times and no word from EPB.

Update 2-25-2013

In July of 2012 I moved into another residence still with EPB. I have phone and internet service (no video) with them. I have the 100/100 package which is $70/month. Phone costs basically $10 if it included with the internet package. So far, in 8 months, my service has not been down for a single minute. Did find out my poor Linksys router couldn't handle the speed though, so I had to change that. My average speed is around 115/100. Here is a link from speedtest: »speedtest.net/result/2534674092.png

member for 12.4 years, 5530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

The Washington D C beta server on speedtest.net is the best I've found for testing upload.

Review by MonkeyLick78 See Profile

• Location: Hixson,Hamilton,TN
Good "Fast, reliable connection."
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Great service that delivers speeds faster than I'm paying for."

*Update* 9-12-12

Service is still 100% rock solid. I did a speed test today and found out my 30/30 package has apparently been increased to the 50/50 package at no additional cost. It's odd to actually have an isp that surprises you with something you actually want rather than another price hike.They still offer the 30/30 package on their site but I'm unable to check their pricing since that part of their site is down at the moment. They might have lowered the price of their 30/30 package and just moved all of their current customers to the higher package. Either way, I'm more and more impressed with every passing year with what EPB offers.

*Update 9-30-11*

It's been almost a year and a half and the service is still rock-solid. It feels so nice to have a service that you can completely rely on with no worries of bandwidth caps. I do 0 torrenting but still use plenty of bandwidth with legal activities.

So far the service has been rock-solid and made me a firm believer that FTTH should be available to all asap.

»speedtest.net/result/1509226410.png

I've had the service for about a week and I'm very impressed so far. I ordered their 15/15 service with FiPhone basic for $68.83 a month. That price includes a free install and doesn't require a contract. They did say that if I cancel before 1 year I would have to pay $75.00 for the install fee. When I called to order it took literally about 5 minutes and that includes having my existing phone number transferred to my EPB account. I had to wait a week for the final step of the install (actually installing it inside your home) but I was fine with that since it was free.

The day after I ordered they ran the fiber from the pole and attached it to my house. About 2 days later, they came and installed the ONT and backup battery beside the power meter on my house. It was a nice and clean install with everything level and all wires neatly tucked away.

I was given an appointment between 8-9 AM on a Friday for the final step of the install. It was about 8:45 when he arrived, so they were right on the mark and respectful of others people's time. The installer was nice and answered every question I had for him. I'm a tech head and was glad he was willing and able to talk about the technology and products in such an informal way. I asked about replacing the backup battery if it were to go dead, and he told me that it has a sensor on it that alerts them in the event of a failure. They will come out to your house and replace it for free. I told him how I wanted my CAT5 cable ran to my router and he was happy to do it just how I wanted. As we were talking while he installed, he told me that EPB was the first company he had worked for that actually had briefings when he was hired detailing the level of workmanship they expect out of their installers. He said they're very strict and I would get a visit by an EPB representative in the coming days checking out the install and asking question about how satisfied I was and how courteous he was.

We did a speed test and got about 19.5 down and 14.5 up. That's pretty good for a 15/15 connection.

He cleaned up his mess and had me sign off on the job.

*EDIT* I just wanted to add that even though it's called FiPhone Basic, it's not basic phone service at all. It has Call Waiting, Caller ID, Call Waiting Caller ID, 3-Way Calling, Call Blocking, Voice Mail....a lot more than you would expect for only $10.84 more a month bundled with internet access. I get more features with this phone service than I did paying almost $40.00 a month to AT&T.

*EDIT* (7-30-10) EPB just doubled my speed from 15/15 to 30/30 at no additional cost. EPB impresses me more and more as time goes by.

»www.speedtest.net/result/899700947.png

Comments:

MonkeyLick78

Hixson, TN

I guess Comcast hasn't found that switch to flip yet to run EPB into the ground. 2 years later and it's doing better than ever.
Malor

join:2011-09-26
Chattanooga, TN
·EPB Fiber Optics

Re: ..

Yeah, I just remembered to come back and update my earlier review. I have two hundred and fifty megabits into my HOUSE. My house! And it's symmetric. Comcast just can't compete.

As far as I know, in the entire country, if you want speeds like this to your house, you have to either be in Chattanooga, or in an area of Sebastopol, CA that's a few blocks wide, served by Sonic.net. (which is an awesome service; I actually slightly know the owner. One of the best ISPs in the country, no joke.)

In the whole country, two spots, and Chattanooga is a lot cheaper and easier to get into than Sebastopol.

Kansas City will eventually be hooked up by Google, but that's still a ways off yet.

rob_in_chatt
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN

EPB

how is the HDTV service? i still have that from comcast. i know when the tv part first went available, the channel selection sucked.
Iceylinux

join:2003-06-13
Wilkes Barre, PA

Lets see some 50/50 Speedtests!!

As it says, lets see some 50/50 speed tests!!

»i46.tinypic.com/bey3h5.png
dbyrd25

join:2012-10-28

heres a link to 100mg service at a cost of 69.99

»speedtest.net/result/2283612527.png

Review by nrgeek See Profile

• Location: Hixson,Hamilton,TN
Good "SPEED SPEED AND MORE SPEED, 30up and 30down"
Bad "Telephone support"
Overall "Worth Every Penny and then some!!"

Im writing this review , mainly so other potential business clients or home users that want static IP and it doesn't work after EPB gives you your static IP settings and you cant connect, and you check everything 5 times, and then you call SUPPORT, and they say .. without doing any real testing that gee we can see your connected to your router ! .. try plugging in directly to a computer .. you have a bad router call router manufacturer !!

Didn't matter that the router was working just fine with my other provider and a T1, just minutes before I changed the router config and my dns server with the new forwarding dns ip's .. I still have a bad router WTF!!!

Ok so .. Im a lil pissed at this point .. but just to satisfy my self and prove them wrong .. which I already knew they where .. I used 3 different routers , and 2 different clean install computers.. after entering their Static IP info no surfing .. set to auto detect ip and dns and it works .. put in static and no worky worky

So after all this I call them back couple hours later .. and give them this info .. the tech on the phone has to hand it off to a on-call network tech .. this is at 11pm .. and SHE will call me back .. at 2am I get a call from the original tech "JOSH" nice guy by the way .. and he says that SHE said that the VLANS on their side where MIS-CONFIGURED and that it was their fault .. YA THINK!

So if you are a Business or Home user and need static IPs make sure you can connect with the static IPs before they leave.. in my case . I couldn't with existing equip , had to wait till after hours to configure.

But If I had thought there would have been a problem with the static ips I would have hooked up a desktop to the EBP provided ethernet .. the EPB installer did check the connection on his laptop .. but that was just auto detect settings .. did plug in any of the static IP info .. cause at that time he didn't have it and they still hadn't sent that info to me .. so he couldn't have tested the static IP part .. I got the static IPs and dns settings emailied to me about an hour after the Installer left.

But at my house I have it and love it .. they seem to be over whelmed .. and gee I wonder why .. cause your the fastest and rock solid connection .. comcast .. and guarantee you ATT dsl cant say that and not be lying ! Unless you get a T1 for 500 a month! oh then ATT is solid lol but thats a different review lol

UPDATE .. The whole issue, was a STATIC IP VLAN mis-configuration on EPB's side , once I convinced them it was not a router issue, they started check other things.. and they found the problem .. now is fine.. if you have a buisness and need remote access from the outside make sure you request a /28 routed subnet not just static IPs other wise you will be pulling your hair out .. most users he will see this review prob dont even know what a static IP is or a routed /28 subnet is ... and wont have these issues at all

Comments:

Review by BLinc See Profile

• Location: Hixson,Hamilton,TN
Good "Speed is as advertised."
Overall "Great service great price."

I ordered the 20Mbps connection from EPB as well as basic home phone and the top tv package with HBO, Encore, and Showtime ( the quad dvr and 3 additional STB's )all for 185$ a month.

The fiber optics IPTV signal is amazing you even notice a difference on my 420p televisions it's much crisper and the signal doesn't have moments where you get that "digital noise"

From my home to the epb server i am getting the advertised 20 up 20 down. It is actually higher than that at different servers across the US and other countries.

The order process was simple fast and easy and so was the install. The technicians were very polite and answered all the questions i had. They ran the cat5 cables where i wanted/needed them with no hassle or complaint they cleaned up before leaving and left everything the way it was before they arrived they even left me a 100ft cable for later use free of charge.

The modem as well as all the receivers are energy star efficient which will be saving me money in the long run.

I play a lot of games on the PC and have noticed a significant difference in my ping all across the board since switching from comcast.

In the future i will definitely be upgrading to the 50Mbps connection

here is my Trace Route to www.yahoo.com

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 5 ms 3 ms 3 ms 12.91.215.185

Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=49
Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 209.191.122.70:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

This is with the 20down 20up plan

Connected to server 4.71.251.149.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 52531 Kbps.
Downstream: 49388 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 51557 Kbps.

Here is a wide server spectrum test

Comments:

Review by RobinM See Profile

• Location: Lupton City,Hamilton,TN
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Billing department"
Overall "Service is great but watch your bill"

I have had EPB fiber for about 7 months. The speed is good and tech support is great and easy to get hold of. However, if you ever have a question about your bill, or you notice an error, be prepared for a months long journey into idiocy. I was being charged for service when I didn't even have it for 3 months. It took another 3 months to get it straightened out, and every bill since then has been a fiasco and my blood pressure rises every time I call billing because I know it will be crazy.

After all of that my service suddenly gets cut off at midnight one night...including phone. So I use my son's cell and call and find out THEY don't even know why. They said something about an order to disconnect??? Holy cow. I guess when you call to cancel internet they cut the whole thing off? So then they had to "rebuild" my account. How long I ask them. 2 days??!! They have to send it to the main office for some reason and I have to wait that long with no phone, tv, or internet.

Finally I went to a supervisor who said she would call me back when she got it straightened out. So I wait three days and call back. I have to leave a message. She never calls back. I called 4 times over two weeks and she NEVER returned my calls. Why do they tell you they will call back if they DON'T?

When it was time to get internet turned back on I call. I am told a supervisor has to call and schedule. Which btw I never understood from the beginning. Why do they have to call you back to schedule install? So I wait. No call. Big surprise. I call back and they tell me my internet has been on since I called. That all they had to do was flip a switch or something. What?? Wow...

It has taken that long for the "credit" for those months to show on my bill. Every time I call them they put me on hold forever, then come back and tell me they can't see where any of this shows up on the call records. I understand it is a "new" service and they have to get the kinks worked out. But why do they have to work them all out on MY account?

Comments:

Review by rob_in_chatt See Profile

• Location: Chattanooga,Hamilton,TN
Good "amazing speed. incredible. wow."
Bad "none found yet."
Overall "if you live somewhere and you can get Fiber internet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????"

great speed. if anyone has the ability to get fiber but just doesnt want to switch, what are you waiting for? this stuff is amazing.

member for 10.1 years, 1841 visits, last login: 306 days ago