AT&T Southwest page on DSLReports

Review by nilness See Profile

• Location: Florissant,Saint Louis,MO
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "When it works, it's fast."
Bad "When it doesn't work, it's like pulling teeth. A little pricey."
Overall "Try to get service from someone else, first."

I was a subsriber for just over a year an apartment, then moved to a house. I wanted to transfer service, but of course "transfer" means kind-of cancel (my username/email stayed active, and I had dialup service during the process) and open new service at the new address. It took a month to get service activated at the new address. I have an Alcatel 1000 modem from the old "technician install" days and was assured it would work fine and I didn't have to do anything different at the new location, even though I new by then everyone was getting SpeedStreams and self-install (read "filters and PPPoE") kits.

Sure enough, got the notification service was on, plugged in the Alcatel, waited, no sync. Waited, waited, waited, dragged modem out to Network Interface, no sync. Called phone support. Yep, we see a problem with the line. A tech will come by tomorrow and fix the line, no I don't need to be home.

Get home on day 2, door hanger from field tech "no trouble found" so I try it again. No sync inside, no sync on box. Get passed to level 2 support. Long phone call short, we can send a specialist out but if it's a problem with my equipment, I pay $200/hour. I repeatedly ask "you're sure my Alcatel 1000 will work" "yes, it will work no problem". I agree to roll the dice on a service call. After setting it up, as we're ending the call, level 2 tech makes off-handed comment about the Alcatel 1000 using the line 2 wires. Lightbulb goes off in my head! 10 minutes and one rewired junction box later and I have sync. And a seriously fast connection, little to no thanks to SWBell. I call and cancel the service call. Get a call at work the next day from the service technician outside my empty house "I'm here for the service call" "no, i cancelled the ticket last night" "oh, okay".

About a month later, I got billed for a self-install kit I never ordered or received. Had to wait for them to make sure I'd paid for some kind of install at some point in my life otherwise I'd be paying for the self-install kit, never mind whether they actually shipped me one or not.

SWBell, when it works, the d/l is pretty good. The field personnel are always very friendly, capable, and dedicated to resolving the problem. The phone personnel are pretty much useless if you're a user with a real problem.

Comments:

Review by ez2bme See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Bad "Poor coordination between home and field staff."
Overall "Unorganzed support"

I moved to a new address on 5/9/04. I requested that my DSL be transferred to my new address on 5/7 and was told it would be activated on 5/18/04.

On 5/19, I began the activation process from my new address. I had to call SBC DSL tech support, since SBC software on CD wouldn't complete install. We spent two hours on the phone trying to resolve without success. 2 days later (during the SBC walkout) two "techs" visited and tried for almost 3 hours to get my connected without success. The next day, two more "techs" showed up and left after two hours, telling me the problem was "my isp". Duhhhh...guess they didn't realize THEY are my isp. I received numerous calls from SBC during the next two days.

My PC crashed during this period due to the multiple reboots by the "techs". I had to pay someone $250 to straighten out my PC. More calls and sympathy from SBC, but no action. I was then told by a tech support person that my DSL account, which no one could activate, had been disconnected and I would have to apply all over again as a new customer. I called Sales and the person who answered had to hear my entire story. He checked my acct and stated that there had been a huge mistake. He explained that DSL had been activated to my old address, instead of new. Now he tells me I can't get DSL until June 10th, at the earliest, since he entered a new order. At this point, I feel I'm going to have the same problem all over again and end up going to RoadRunner.

I've had DSL at my old address, where it worked without a hitch for 3 straight years. I move and SBC lets me down with very poor service and no resolution to my DSL problem.

Comments:

Review by drusher See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Can't think of one."
Bad "Totally dysfunctional network care organization"
Overall "Report your DSL problems to the child abuse hotline instead."

I am a Senior technical support engineer for the #1 ISP, and I can't even get Bell to fix their equipment. For at least a month, their largest mail server cluster (mail.swbell.net) keeps going unreacheable. It is impossible to get hold of anybody at Bell tech support who can fix it or send it someplace where it can be fixed.

They treat everyone like a stupid grandmother. Their customer care workers and supervisors have no authority to escalate, and there is no way to get to a higher-level management or technical supervisor to move things along. Customer care is a dead-end, even if you know what you are doing.

It is rare to find a person there who knows anything about networking at all. Even their Tier 2 guy I spent 2 hours on the phone with insisted that since I couldn't send email intermittently, it had to be a layer 7 issue. Of course, any idiot knows that if you cant ping their mail server intermittently, the problem is in their mail server cluster.

In this case, they have a cluster of 4 outbound mail servers on a hunt group hanging off a vlan out in San Francisco on PBI.net. The 4 mail servers randomly go unreacheable. Sometimes all are unreacheable.

This is a HUGE problem, when nobody in the SBC network can send email. They don't even know about it, and as hard as I have tried, I can't get anybody to fix it. So, about half the time Bell customers can't send email. Lovely.

Where I work, heads would roll immediately if mail services were like this. We are rated on network availability of every device in the network. Our systems track availability of everything every few seconds, and report the numbers daily. If our mail servers were unavailable like this, everybody from the President of the company on down to the network technician would be on a bridge conference call within 30 minutes and they would stay on it until it got fixed.

Bell couldn't care less. If its dead, its dead.

I am astonished at the stupidity of these folks. Bell has no proactive network monitoring of their equipment. They depend on customers to call, and at that, assume its always a customer issue. They have no e-bonding of ticketing systems, and no way to make a trouble ticket and refer it to a group that can fix it. What little they do is by email.

Bell's planners and process people should be fired immediately. They don't know anything about networking and couldn't design a process to run a network if their lives depended on it. I am saying this as a network engineer and planner.

I have had a large number of tickets in the last year, all of which I spent many hours on the phone, some of which finally got fixed. These tickets include other huge problems such as their mail servers being configured for open relay, which were being blacklisted, causing all swbell emails to be dropped by many ISPs.

So you know I'm not kidding, here are a few of the ticket numbers I logged: 26488649, 264391374, 26610688, 26921731, WASEC827015, 33108660, 39866242m 40263888, 44455084, WASEC353993.

Here is where the traceroute dies:
1 2 2 192.168.0.1
11 51 1 151.164.191.62 bb2-p15-0.pltn13.pbi.net
12 51 0 64.164.97.228 srvr2-vlan30.pltn13.pbi.net
13 Timed out
14 Timed out

When its working the mail servers are the next hop:
13 50 ! ;-1 64.164.98.8 mta7.pltn13.pbi.net , or

2 151.164.30.28 56 0 Failure - Timed Out
3 151.164.30.28 56 0 Failure - Timed Out
4 151.164.30.28 56 0 Failure - Timed Out
5 151.164.30.28 56 0 Failure - Timed Out

I did it again later and none of the servers were pingable.

I just did it again. This time

64.164.98.56 is not pingable
64.164.98.8 is pingable
151.164.30.28 is pingable
64.164.98.52 is pingable.

I got news for everyone. If I can't get it fixed, nobody can. I even tried to get phone numbers for Dallas Corporate, and that isn't even on the SBC site.

The fact is, Bell doesn't want to hear from anybody. They are Ma Bell, and they think they got the world by the phone line. Wimax is going to eat these guys shorts. I can hardly wait for a real alternative here in St. Louis so I can entirely drop Bell phone services.

Comments:

Review by mikess51 See Profile

• Location: El Paso,El Paso,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "tech-knowledgeable sales and billing staff"
Bad "Couldn't answer an obvious question- did DSL exist in new zip code?"
Overall "Actually improving but techs tend to be overly defensive"

In response also to the tech replies- hey guys who are you kidding? I didn't ask for dynamic or a router. SBC provided both as a method of "improving" the service. Cleaning up the DSALMs and the coppernests would have been a better approach but then again I LIKE good client reviews...it also helps me stay in business by correcting SBC errors.

None-the-less, it took SBC over a week to find out what we knew on the ground and by using the CO reports- no DSL in the 79938 area in Nov 2003. Finally got a call in March announcing that they now had the service. I'm on RR/Earthlink cable now- no glitches, no fusses. Will probably stay awhile then switch over to SBC after they settle down.

Comments:

Review by aaronfitz See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Reliable connection once setup kinks are worked out"
Bad "Still at 1.5mbps in St. Louis, problematic voice service"
Overall "While SBC DSL was once a good buy in St. Louis, Charter is now a better alternative."

I've had DSL through Southwestern Bell since 2001 (originally for $40/mo). When I originally signed up, the downstream I had was uncapped (woooohoooo!), so plus. Two months in I began having alternating problems with the DSL and the actual phone service, which were fixed in a couple of months. They simultaniously added my download cap . Near the end of my second contract, I began having multiple problems with both the phone service and DSL again, so I dropped the DSL contract and changed providers on that line.

I figured since I had a relatively smooth ride (with a great run of a year and a half) with DSL on the other line to move it to the business line. For this third contract we were offered a price of $35/mo instead of $40. To me, this is a very small discount for a service they have been offering almost unchanged for more than two years and is now relatively slow compared to other DSL providers. Installation was seemless except for the loss of the e-mail addresses we were promised. All went well until SBC decided to double the upload cap of everyone. Now download speeds have been slashed in half. I would much rather have kept the 1.5mbps instead of 768kbps. The connection reliability has steadily decreased (I have tested it with 3 different DSL modems). Static is also beginning to appear on the voice portion of the line. This left me dreading the problems I had when I first signed up for DSL. Now, my third contract is ending, and I have decided to drop DSL altogether.

Here in St. Louis, Charter has a plan for $5/mo more than what I was paying for DSL, and it has 2.0mbps (supposedly guaranteed) downstream and the same upstream I was just given on the DSL. From what I have been reading on the forums, in most places DSL is better, but not in St. Louis. My friends from the county all have Charter Pipeline for access, and none of them have had any problems besides the scheduled maintenances, so we'll see what the land of cable internet has in store for me.

member for 10.4 years, 2414 visits, last login: 270 days ago

Comments:

Review by matrix57 See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Wyandotte,KS
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Faster than Dial up"
Bad "Very slow compared to Cable"
Overall "Cable is Cheaper and Faster"

I had been with Roadrunner running 3200 down and 420 up for a couple of years. Their price at that time was 39.95 per month, so I checked into SWB Yahoo DSL and was told the basic package would run at 1800 down and 384 up in my area. I was also told the basic package would be 26.95 per month. After getting hooked up I have yet to reach 1200 down or 200 up, and was unknowingly hooked up at the Deluxe rate of 36.95 which is supposed to be faster than the 1800/384 I was promised but have never achieved.

If anybody reads this please be smart, don't sign a contract with anyone, and go with Cable. At this time Kansas City Roadrunner is going for $26.95 per month, no contract and 3 times faster than SBC.

Another thing I noticed is every three or four days I am having to remove a virus after switching to SBC Yahoo whereas when I had KCRR I believe I had 1 Worm in three years, same Zone Alarm and same V-Scan.

In short SBC is all talk and a very expensive way to go. In fact they want me to pay for Expert Service at twice the rate of Cable just to achieve the same speed as RR, (so they say).

Very Dissatisfied and paying the early termination fee ($150) so I can return to the REAL SPEED of Cable at half the price and 3 times the speed.

Comments:

Review by cpucrash0 See Profile

• Location: Mcallen,Hidalgo,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "I can't think of any right now"
Bad "speed went down and hasn't gone back up like it use to be"
Overall "When your speeds go down they won't do anything to speed things up"

I've had dsl for about 2 years or so when they first came out here in my town. I was one of the first ones here to get it. I live about less then a mile from the telco. I get good reasonable speeds. 1.1 or so dowload and 240 or so upload. I have dsl deluxe package 768-1.5mpbs down and 256 up. I just got the deluxe package I use to have the standard 368-1.5 down and 128 up. I called a saturday to upgrade the package and got the package upgraded on tuesday (thanks to beach boy)* I really like swbell and there service. I never have had a problem and I don't mind signing up for a 1 year contract since I know that I will have it forever. I had to sign up for 1 year so I could get that price. I recommend swbell to anyone which I have sbc yahoo dsl. There's also cable here but I prefer dsl since I'm getting great speeds and for the price. If your thinking about getting dsl please do, it will make your internet surfing much better and downloading video and mp3s are fast. I'm a happy customer. Good job sbc.

---------------------------------------------------------

update 10/12/2003: I have just signed up for expert plus dsl and so far so good. I have goten around 4mbps and 310kbps upload and I am likeing it. I think I'm getting a good deal here for the price and the speeds are so good I am going to stay with sbc cause I like the service. Hey it's faster then most cable modems and I have heard sbc is raising the upload speeds so that will be so much better and faster. I just like SBC plus the guys here on the forums are so nice and helpful they got me set up in no time. Thanks guys!

-------------

update 11/11/2003

SBC has just upgraded my upload speed to 500kbps and my download speed has goten a little boost also it use to be around 4mbps now I get on download 4500 or so. I like the speeds I am getting and everything has been alright, I got upgraded yesterday. Hope it stays at those speeds.

------------

update 2/23/2004

Well I've had sbc dsl for a while now and the service stinks. My speed has gone down really bad and all they can tell me is ADSL isn't guaranteed. I use to get really fast speeds with dsl and I have 1.5-6.0 megs and I always have goten close to 5mbps and now I've been getting 3.3mbps or close to that, Also my upload is slow it's close to 300kbps and it use to be over 500kbps. I think the service stinks and I shouldn't have to pay for this kind of service anymore so I have decided to go to Roadrunner. I have called Roadrunner and they will install it on wed., I just called Monday, Also I am getting rid of my dish network and going with cable tv "getting more channels" because I am getting cabletv at the same time I'm ordering roadrunner I will only pay 40 bucks a month and for the first 6 months it will be something like 29.95 or so. I am really happy that I'm switching and not paying 99.99 for sbc with the static ips and not getting the speed I use to. I use to like SBC and since my speed went really down it's just not worth it anymore. So good bye sbc, thank goodness and hello Roadrunner!

member for 11.2 years, 2688 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by nehemiahcox See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Harris,TX
Good "At this time I find few good points"
Bad "After 14 months it still doesn't work right"
Overall "Had to call SBC corporate office to get things done."

Over the past 14 months the service work close to advertised speeds one or two days a week. Techs came to my house 9 times. Each time the SBC line was good, my inside wiring was good and it would only get 27 kbs down load! Each time I called ASI (the SBC dsl maintainence group) in St Louis and they would "balance the line" and it would work a few days. On 01-08-04 SBC sent out a telephone tech a dsl tech and a crew supervisor. Everything out side worked, everything inside worked but when they hooked up their laptop 27 kbs! They called "the switch" and a supervisor got on the phone and challenged everything the techs at my house said (we used my speaker phone) Finally the crew superivisor said "I do not care what your readings are, I do not care if you believe we are stupid out here but the damn thing is not working!" At that point the switch guy got 2 of his techs on the line and finally one said "I have seen this sort of thing once before. Let me try something." They service suddenly jumped to 1.2 megs! It lasted 3 days!

I called SBC corporate (NO TECH OR SUPERVISOR WILL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER! Call directory assistance San Antonio Texas and ask for SBC corporate office) They sent out 3 techs and started at the switch testing every connections and every piece of wire. After 7 hours they found a bad wire on their side! It would go intermittent under stress! The next day a supervisor called and said they had been monitoring my signal and it was unstable. They wanted to send another group of techs out to check out my house wiring for the 10th time! I told them the had already done that and I had bought 2 dsl modems from SBC because the said they were bad, I had changed from windows 98 to Win 2000 to XP because they thought I had system problems. He assured me their would be no charge regardless what they find. They found nothing wrong in the house!

I called SBC corporate again and they said "It will be fixed by 5 PM tomorrow!" The bottom line was "the switch" had connected 2 dsl signals to my line the day the service was connected! The switch supervisor had no answer for why they had not noticed that in 14 months and 44 complaints!

Bottom line they refunded 14 months dsl payments, refunded both modems they had sold me and sent me a letter of apology! Six months from now I will write a report that may be more reflective of the actual dsl service offered by SBC in Houston.

Comments:

Review by kinglemur See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "No plusses. After five months of unreliable service and overbilling, they dropped our service, and we're glad"
Bad "Completely screwed up voice service for two weeks during install, billing issues, lots of outages, worthless customer service"
Overall "Really awful experience, glad we got out."

(see my diary for the play-by-play that was originally in this space)

--------------------------------------------

This review refers to an order placed in December of 2000 and canceled in May of 2001. Stories from friends who have the service today (December 2003) suggest that while some of the problems I describe have been resolved, others remain. Proceed with caution.

---------------------------------------------

Summary of the experience:

- Incompetent installation that left us without voice service for two weeks (in spite of daily calls begging for help)

- billing errors that amounted to hundreds of dollars before they were finally resolved after six months of frequent calls to two different customer service numbers and numerous promises that the problem would be fixed

- outages that, by May, were more frequent than uptime

- finally allowed to withdraw from contract with full refund after 6 months because of continual outages. Still no compensation for the hours we spent on hold trying to resolve the numerous problems with our service and billing.

--------------------------------------

One consistent fact about our dealings with Southwestern Bell was that customer service reps always said they would resolve our problems, then did nothing. During the initial install, our phone line was crossed with a line that was supposed to be out-of-service, and it took two weeks of daily phone calls just to restore our voice service. We could tell we had the wrong line because friends' caller ID's gave them a different number when we called them. In spite of this information, all the technicians would do was come out, verify that the line worked (even though we specifically reported that it was the _wrong_ line), and report that the problem was fixed. When a supervisor finally did it himself, it took him all of fives minutes to figure out what was wrong and fix it.

The billing issue, which involved charges for a computer that we neither ordered nor received with our service, required six months of frequent calls to both SBC Internet Services and Southwestern Bell Telephone. We had to call one number every month to complain about the overbilling and ask for a credit and another to stop them from cutting off our phone service for not paying the overbilled charges. Asinine.

The whole thing left me with such a bad taste in my mouth that even now, I'm hesitant to have any dealings whatsoever with SBC.

Comments:

Review by tobiasboon9 See Profile

• Location: Niles,Trumbull,OH
Good "The price is cheap, but you get what you pay for"
Bad "Sales representatives tell you anything to make a sell, even if it contradicts the terms of service contract."
Overall "For a cheap price you get a shaky connection, poor tech support, and a contract designed to screw you over"

Update:

Well, I have been in my new house with verizon dsl for almost 3 blissful months now. No down time, no reboots, just a clean fast internet connection, no contract!
Today in the mail I got 2 letters from SBC
The first said that I had a past due amount (After I had already paid my final bill in full) The second letter threatened collection!!!!!
The nerve!!!
I'm on the phone right now with a very pushy representative that has reminded me twice that it's almost 7:00 when they are supposed to leave and the billing specialists department is swamped. And I should call back Monday to try to get this resolved.

I'm ready to send SBC a bill for MY time!

For those of you who may be in the situation I am in right now:
I hope you find this post.
SBC's Original Terms of use agreement (Before May 21, 2003) did include a moving clause. If you were to move out of SBC's DSL coverage area before your 12 month service agreement was over, you would not be subject to the early termination fee.

It seems that after SBC changed their Terms of Service on May 21, 2003 (Completely omitting any such clause) they have completely forgotten that many of their customers signed up to the previous terms.

I recently went through an ordeal with SBC, I am moving out of state, and SBC does not even cover the state I am moving to. After speaking to 1 rep and 2 supervisors, SBC refused to do anything about the termination fee. They told me that the agreement I signed up for did not have that clause.

Thank God for this site. Someone was kind enough to e-mail me with this information. After giving the above date to SBC and verifying that my agreement was signed before the change was made, and a brief moment on hold, the fee was removed. ( or so I thought ) Get ready for a fight, they won't give you YOUR money very willingly!