AT&T Southwest page on DSLReports

Review by bqlauer See Profile

• Location: Maumelle,Pulaski,AR
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "When it doesn't work, be prepared for long periods of downtime"
Overall "For $22 a month, it's the best deal out there"

Decided to update this review.

I just re-upped with SBC for another year @ 19.95. You just can't beat that price! It took three calls to get that rate, but the lady on the other end told me to always call back at least month before my year is up and I will get the best promo pricing they have at the current time.

No major outages in a long time. Again, when it works, its flawless and the best thing to have.

I've had SBC DSL for five years now. Just like my review says, when it works, things are wonderful. However, if there is an outage, be prepared to be on dialup for a few days.

I love SBC DSL, well, 99% of the time. I just experienced my 2nd major outage, a problem with the remote terminal in my neighborhood. I was down for five days during this outage. As far as their tech support goes, there are vast differences between thier Tier 1 and Tier 2 tech support. I've called the main tech support number for SBC probably 6 or 7 times in these five years, and Tier 1 is pretty much useless. I assume that the 1st tier has been moved to India, because during this latest outage I spoke with Dexter, Tom, and Sarah but they had very thick Indian accents. I understand the reason for this 1st tier, but when you actually have a problem, you don't want to take the time dealing with these people. They can't really do much except tell you to "powercycle" your modem and can't provide any information about an outage.

Once you hit Tier 2, everything is different. The techs have knowledge, skill, and professionalism. They also give you the details on what is happening with an outage in your area, will frequently call you to check your status and give your progress, and always put the customer first. It's amazing the difference. The techs here at the SBC Direct forum are also excellent, and have solved many minor problems as well as intiated the fix to the other outage that I have had in five years. That outage was due to a router misconfiguration and users were experiencing extremely slow speeds. I knew of around 20 people who contacted the SBC tech support and got Tier 1 who attempted to troubleshoot and got nowhere. It took about two weeks before many of us found the SBC forum here, and once we all explained the situation, one of the techs escalated it and had it fixed within a day.

member for 12.7 years, 112 visits, last login: 4.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by MarfaTx See Profile

• Location: Marfa,Presidio,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "It all works as described and that is excellent"
Bad "Very rural remote area."
Overall "If you got to get it, get it with the big boys."

SBC Yahoo seem to have it all together as far as I am concerned. I had to replace the original Modem but can't blame the ISP for that. They got me a new one shipped within a few days and I was up and running at speeds promised. Would recommend them to anyone.

Comments:

Review by Albatross6 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Hmmmm. . . faster than a dial up? Very reliable. Some tech support people really want to help."
Bad "Install was miserable, billing is bad (but improving), tech support is good ONLY IF YOU HAVE A SOURCE TO CONTACT"
Overall "Expect a bumpy ride; Appreciate your fortune if you don't have one."

I ordered my line in the middle of April. I got my line in the end of August after them cancelling (by not showing up, not by calling as a normal person would cancel) between three and five install dates. Since then it was down a week because they installed some more people on my router and didn't reconfigure it properly. I am still waiting for them to post a credit to my bill as compensation for the install delay. If you don't have DSL find someone else. I will when my contract is up. If you do have SWBell DSL, find someone in Tech Support who knows something (not a first level tech) and get their name and extension so you can call them directly with problems.

I have read the reports on this site posted by either a SWBell or ASI (SWBell contractor) employee making excuses for the poor quality of their first level tech support people. I, as well as most other somewhat savvy computer users realize that demand for competent help has exhausted the available supply and money with the result that individuals with less than ideal credentials are necessarily hired. I agree that a first level tech need not be the best trained tech support person in the world. However, a modicum of training in the technology and system (which, if in place at all, is artfully masked by these poor souls)would do wonders with improving SWBell's stock with its customers. Even if such training is cost or time-prohibitive, at least educate them to the point that they realize when a customer knows more about the problem than they do and provide for a quicker response time to move the problem upstream.

Furthermore, if, as some have suggested, the problem lies solely with SWBell and not ASI, that does not alleviate ASI from responsibility. ASI should have been more careful in negotiating the terms of its contract with SWBell. If ASI is going to be the face to SWBell's customers, it should at least have realized whose face it was presenting to its other clients.

I sincerely believe that SWBell's problems are not fatal and can be fixed. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any efforts taken by SWBell to fix the problems. Until management seriously is concerned about its customers, the situation will not improve.

UPDATE: 1/4/01:

Today I had a really good experience with an ASI tech that responded to one of my complaints through this site. The tech was knowledgeable and the phone call was efficient. For those of you still having issues with the service, try to cajole the ASI and SWBell Tech Support people who post on this site regularly (and not anonymously) who offer to help. There's no shortage if you follow various threads or check back more than two times in one week.

To the ASI guy who helped me: Thanks a lot; speed has more than doubled. Hang in there, its a shame not all of your colleagues are as helpful as you.

UPDATE: 7/11/02

Despite a few problems with my physical phone line going down (SWB's fault) and a SWB tech falsifying a support visit to my house resulting in a >$100 bill I received for his time, which I had to argue (successfully), I have been generally pleased with the service. The connection is quite reliable (although the mail server occasionally drops out). My speeds are pretty good at 750/128 or so. I still believe that the tech guys who visit this site are your best answer to tech support, although I have started to have better luck with the telephone support staff. Now, if only I could get SWB to not suck at billing voice service, I might not cringe when the little white envelope comes each month. All in all, I would recommend SWB now that it seems that they've got the kinks worked out.

UPDATE: 3/22/05

A few billing issues a year ago with a pricing change that required monthly phone calls for almost 6 months. Connection has been great except for a few (I hope) minor problems.

Comments:

Review by stinger See Profile

• Location: Florissant,Saint Louis,MO
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Customer service, immediate support responses"
Bad "DSL speed varies wildly during "business hours""
Overall "Still worth a serious look"

Upgraded to DSLPro in November 2004. Initial speeds were great but as time passed (since January 2005) speeds have dropped by more than 50%.
Also noticed that during business hours there is a significant decrease in speed.
Could it be that the extra bandwidth is being allocated to businesses?

Hope that isn't the case...

Comments:

Review by FireWingz See Profile

• Location: Fort Smith,Sebastian,AR
Good "Lots of services for the money."
Bad "The Tech Support from anywhere else but SBC Direct at this site."
Overall "I can live with SBC"

I am having problems with my upgrade from DSL Express to DSL Pro. Tech Support is worse than no support at all. The tech support on the site fixed everything. Am happy now.

Comments:

Review by OldNerdGuy See Profile

• Location: Saint Peters,Saint Charles,MO
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Lies, Damn Lies, and SBC"
Bad "Lies, Damn Lies, and SBC"
Overall "Lies, Damn Lies, and SBC"

Lies, Damn Lies, and SBC...

Nothing but lies from the people I've dealt with. First, there is the Tech support person who informed me that "nobody can change it" when I asked about why I did not get a higher speed setting. After the 3rd "Supervisor", who wanted to know what technician I spoke who said I could, it finally got settled and I am at the 1.5 MBit rate. So much for "nobody can change it". Made them out to be a liar.

Now... when I signed up for the service, I specifically asked if I qualified for the $50.00 rebate. The answer was an unequivocal YES I DO!. Now, when I question them as to why I have not received said rebate, the rebate center call person says I do not qualify, and "nobody can change it".

The Mantra from SBC seems to be "we've screwed you, and there is nothing you can do about it". Cannot wait for the Naked DSL to come to our area. SBC Voice Line, your days are numbered. That, or hope that Charter finally gets their act together and realizes people do run their own mail servers, web servers, and firewalls, without killing the ISP.

Comments:

Review by mig See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Have been on-line without interruption for over 6 months"
Bad "Not many - Tier 1 tech support needs a new algorithm to follow"
Overall "Get it! Not a better deal around that I can think of."

My new review on SBC DSL. First ordered it 10/2000 at 39.95 for 1500/128. It was a nightmare at first with the ordering and then the tech support. However, they got their act together after an initial rough start. Price went up after the 2 year contract to 49.95 and still no complaint due to reliability of service. Then I rerated to 29.95 and after a couple of months got my upload increased to 256 with no charge to me. Quite happy then jumped on their new promo in Feb 2004 (grandfathered now) for 1.5 - 3/384 plan for 44.99. Unbelievable! Given a due date by on line rep of 2/9. Did not happen, so I called and basically got nowhere in upgrading. Went back to my on line rep (thanks to on-line tech only me) who steered me to the right group. Got upgraded 15" later. Speeds are 5000/515. I will say that after having these speeds for over a year now I have become more speed greedy and would like to see SBC increase their speeds to 10/1 for those who are close enough to support the speed. I know they're working on lightspeed, but that's still down the road.

Sorry to see so many of the original SBC support techs leave as they were a tremendous asset for many here. I don't have anything against the new ones as I don't know them as much, which tells you that the service at least for me has been great.

Comments:

Review by dbay See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "Reliable, easy setup"
Bad "They keep wanting to change the price!"
Overall "Beats RoadRunner Cable...hands down"

Ordered Basic Plus Service (up to 1.5M down, 128 up). Speed is in the 1100/136 range consistantly.

Order process was a little shaky. They didn't want to give me the $29.95 price as advertised, but they finally gave up. The order was placed (according to their web site) 5 days after I called to place the order. Then it took another 6 days to get my install kit. This was disappointing.

Install was great. I used a LinkSys 4-port switch/router for the PPPoE connection. I used the macintosh instructions which give you all the information needed to connect and log in without loading their software on. I don't know if it is a bunch of junk, but I can imagine it is. The entire installation took about 15 minutes. 5 of those minutes was going around the house putting the DSL filters on the phones!

Home equipment (free with 12 mo. commitment) is a DSL to Ethernet device.

Dynamic IP. Static is somewhat expensive (in my mind). My IP has not changed since my service was established (3 weeks). I would call this a "sticky" dynamic IP.

My first bill still is over charging me, but I will persist and win this battle.

Updated 2005-03-07:
The first year was $29.99. The second year I got a deal for $26.99 if I agreed to another 12 months. The third year the price shot up to $49.99. I called to lower the price. They lowered it to $26.99 for another 12 months but I opted for DSL Pro (384-768 up and 1500-3000 down) for another $10.00 making the current monthly price $36.99.

Technical support is horrible. I have a secondary email account that won't accept email. Their SMTP server is rejecting all inbound email because it is not in my address book. I don't even have an address book. Tech support wants to check settings on my email client. They refuse to listen that their server is rejecting the mail. The problem has been going on for more than a year. I've talked to level 2 support several times. They have referred the problem to yahoo. We'll see what happens.

[I've stuck with SBC because this problem is not important in the big scheme of things. This service is extremely reliable. In 2+ years it has never gone down.]

Comments:

Review by ImTheWeasel See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "Fast- Reliable"
Overall "Service is great in Bartlesville."

Service works great. Only have had a few instances of trouble, but it was due to weather.

member for 10.7 years, 1119 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by tertl See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Good "maybe an exception here, but ALL good"
Bad "none yet!"
Overall "very good service all around"

3-13-04 I Springfield, MO now. Thank You SBC!! Have the luck of an RT just 3k feet from my new house. Still about 1240/134 on the basic package. Install went flawlessly, even got a credit for the 3 weeks I couldn't connect due to the move and line "conditioning". Keep up the good work!!

2-23-05 Well, while discussing a phone bill problem with SBC, seems they have deleted the "mid-range" DSL service I was getting (1500/386) and replaced it with a "pro" service (3000/486). (I upgraded about 4 months ago to the mid-range). And the price to "upgrade'? zero $$$. Price jump..none. So, for the same price as advertised 3000/486. As tested here 2450/418. WAY cool !! Oh, and NO contract. PPPoE still. (The upload kinda sucks) But the download rivals cable here. AND, I have had NO outages here like my MediaCom freinds have ALL the time. And order time to upgrade time? 7 days. They said 10 to 14 BUSINESS days, but it was done in 7 CALANDER days! $39.95 a month. Well worth it! And I LOVE the tech folks ( be sure to call after 10PM though, that shift , late night, REALLY know the biz.) Seems my ratings are "above consesus" (?) Well, maybe because I actually TALK to these tech folk? And don't "talk down" to them? Grandma always said, "Talk sweet, attract bees, talk crap, attract flies".

member for 14.2 years, 178 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago