FreePhoneLine page on DSLReports

Review by morph69 See Profile

• Location: Penetanguishene,ON
Good "everything"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "well for 180 one time set-up fee and no monthly charges its PERFECT"

·Acanac
·Acanac
update - basically two years of free phone service behind me - do i really ahve to say more? It works all the time never goes down and its free????? Do i really need to update it? Lol love it its awsome

looked at 5-6 providers of voip - most in Canada do not offer home phone porting
all costs - initial
20 - port home number
50 - settings to thier service with physical hardware
80 - preconfigured linksys ata (afterwards purchased a speedotucvh gataway/ata used that works awesome with service)
monthly
$4 long distance package that includes calling to all areas of Canada
-basic phone offer local calling to probably 90 percent of Canada - but i use with my cell phone my 5 package and there are some remote places in Canada i have to call not inside the extended local areas - most in Canada would not need

I have been using this service beside my home phone for about a month and have been pleased both quality and cost - i will update the review after a few months - I go live to just using them in about a week with a dry loop

Well the results are in - months of hassle free, no cost home phone service - bel and rogers calling me all the time with DEALS lol, i tell them if they can match i will switch - they seem confused when i explain how much it costs

update November 15th, 2011

Awsome awsome awsome.
no technical issues
still costs nothing
use another number now as as a voip dialer on my android phone - (good 3G data or wi-fi equals a great call)
set up multiple friends with service - porting process was always smooth and service is great

so been a COUPLE OF YEARS !!! dont miss the phone bill lol ... works flawlessly... anyone still paying a phone bill needs to get their head checked

Comments:

Review by ekster See Profile

• Location: Lachine,QC
Good "Free, good quality, and good support"
Overall "It's an awesome deal"

There is not much to say when they give you a DID and unlimited calling for free. I dumped the POTS and bought my own ATA for $30 and paid $50 for the configuration file. I find the $50 config file more than reasonable considering I get a DID, unlimited calling, voice mail and caller id for $0 a month.

Their support is great, the forum is very useful, very easy to get in touch with and they are always there to help.

With the ATA, the voice quality is perfect. Didn't have a problem after constantly trying different numbers to stress-test it for a week. In fact, it's better than my cellphone and as good as a post line.

I read before that some people had trouble getting the config file or had to wait up to a week, but when I called, they activated it on my online account right away and I had access to the password before the call to purchase the file even ended.

All in all, zero problems, 0 monthly fees and a perfectly working line makes me more than happy!

Edit after several months:
Aside from a few small bugs that they're trying to iron out after a server upgrade (VM indicator won't turn off on my phone, for example), it's still working great, line quality never had any trouble and the price is still $0

Edit 2:
After a year, I can say that the service has been great and perfectly stable. They had a few small bugs, but that was quickly fixed with upgraded hardware and it has been running great ever since, with zero down time AFAIK. The quality is great, the staff on their forum are very helpful and my monthly bill remains to be a big fat zero.

Edit 3: 3 years and still working without a problem, not a single interruption in more than a year. I've also been using long distance calls frequently of late and never had a problem with it as well.

member for 3.7 years, 2178 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
spookstaz2

join:2002-10-05

Nice review

I had a similar experience, but it did take me a few weeks of trial and error to get SIP configured properly.

AnonName

@acanac.net

Re: Nice review

Freephoneline was a good service. Now it is completely useless. Customer service does not exist. My phone line has not been operating for months. The company does not respond to any type of communications. Seriously thinking of porting my numbers out to a paid company.

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Truly is free. Free long distance to major cities,"
Bad "A service truly only for the technical expert. Occasional delay in initial pick up."

·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
Good

Great call quality. Once connected, as clear as POTS line. Occasional delay when answering calls.

Zero monthly cost.

Free email to voice mail. Call forwading.

Free calls to major cities in Canada.

Bad.

Zero support. Setup is only suitable for experts with an extensive understanding of router and ata setup..

Does not play nicely when interacting with other voip services, ie voip.ms.

Conclusion.

It is a lot of work to set up, but once done, it is well worth the effort. Don't expect any help and expect to do your own tech and research.

Now that I am configured, it works as well as my old phone and so far is as just as reliable.

Comments:

Review by dsl2u See Profile

• Location: CANADA
Bad "No service, emails are ignored, forum post was deleted."
Overall "Perhaps they are discontinuing the service?"

I can't make outgoing calls. I can't receive incoming calls. It tells me my connection is fine. I posted to their forum and it was deleted. Does anybody know anything about this bizarre company? Or they moving away from the free service? It would be great if they would just tell us if they are. Right now, their reputation is going into the toilet. Typical irresponsible Canadian daft management. No wonder Americans dominate us in almost every area. They're serious about their business! We aren't. Its like people treat their work like some half assed part time job that they can't move away from fast enough.

------------

Hopefully this will help others. I found out the problem was that 3 ports needed to be forwarded.

5060-5061

6060-6061

13000-13001

My review was poor because of the lack of response from them regarding it for weeks. I did get in touch with them in the last few days and they walked me through it. Hopefully they'll update their system to better inform their users about these 3 ports. In the last few days their response time has been excellent so maybe this is a change in the company for the better.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US
·Sipgate VOIP

Did you try the Online Chat?

Does the online chat answer you? I was wondering how they could provide free service and they may do that or they may not but they sure charge a lot for every other little thing, $25 to keep your old phone no, $50 for the file to setup a phone, $4.95/mo to use a Fongo phone, whatever that is, and credits for long distance. It says they are going to start charging $0.99/mo for Vancouver or New York phone numbers in 2013.

Review by Hyrules See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "No monthly fee, portable phone number"
Bad "Not for everyone. You must have a good technical background to fix the problems you might have in the beginning"
Overall "Recommended to save alot of money. Even on long distance call."

·ELECTRONICBOX
·Videotron
it's a great money saver if you do and dont do long distance call. Long distance call are really cheap and if you don't do them you will end up paying 0$ per month.

VoIP is somewhat taking momentum recently. People are finding it cheaper than POTS or other type of phone line. Be aware that you need a good internet connection and a good router for it to work properly. VoIP is really touchy with quality of internet connection and home phone line circuit. That is why I specified that it's not for every one to have.

But if you are able to pass the point of finding out and fixing all the problems you might get, you will end up saving alot of money and the quality of the line is the same as other types. The initial invoice is initially around 200$. Yes it's might be alot but if you do the math you will end up saving in only 7 months.

I cannot say about Tech support as I didn't need any. ( I bought my own ATA ).

Reliability depend mainly on you internet connection. I never had any loss of service up to now.

Note that the 911 you have with them is not the traditionnal 911. You won't end up immediately at the local emergency service of your sector. it's E911. You will first have to talk the main 911 central which will dispatch you to the local one. If you have a life threatening sickness that might depend upon a 911 call i wouldn't recommend going to VoIP until the find a way to dispatch to local 911.

In the end, I will recommend it. If you have good computer technical skills you will be able to overcome the inital problems if you have some. A word of advice, get a descent router. Any basic el cheapo router you can get for less that 100$ will mostlikely cause you problems. You need a good router and don't get caught with the VOIP routers they causes more problems than they fixes.

member for 7.7 years, 1326 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by juan See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "The Price ($0), The voice quality; THE FEEEAAAATUUUREEEEES"
Bad "THE CONTACT US... the Pope have a Twitter... GUYS get a Free Phone Line for yourselves LOL"
Overall "Great service... Go for it!"

·WIND Mobile
I have been with FreePhoneLine for about a week.

Service GREAT! BUUUUUTTTT the answering machine went on a funny mode for
about a day. When I called my voicemail, the SIP got disconnected; I had to
reset it every single time. When I went on the website. that particular tab
was BLANK!!!

If they have problems at least they should email you automatically!!! I
expect.

I had issues but they and 24 hrs later they contacted me and help me to solve my issues, they explained me the changes they are bringing to their system. I understand that portion but they should have better customer service by now.

Anyways Great service after all!!! I would recommended to everyone, just be patient sometimes.

Notes:
Web-Site: Guys, A LOT to improve! 3/5
Installation: despite the lack of information from them, the forums are GREAT
Call Quality: I cannot denied... 100% and no issues whatsoever
Reliability: the voice service so far GREAT
Tech Support: Guys YOU DO need a couple of phone lines (there are some "free" LOL)
Value for money: 5/5 no doubts now

BTW: ATA is Cisco SPA122, no issues. 25Mb network, the only thing is, my modem is connected to the WAN port on the ATA and the LAN port from the ATA to the router, so the ATA will handle the QoS. Both the router and the ATA will have different networks (192.128.15.1 and 192.128.1.1)

Regards.

Comments:

Review by Tx See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "$50 one time"
Bad "Can't really think of anything..."
Overall "Highly recommend if you setup with an ATA"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I've been a customer for well over 4 years. Paid a one time fee of $50 to "access config file" basically username and password for my ATA and so far everything works as advertised. I have e911, which i haven't tested yet but it's a plus.

Free phone number with it. They did have some call quality issues awhile back but those have since been history.

I'm not sure why everyone doesn't switch to them. I don't call long distance, and everywhere i call is within their allowed list without funds in my account.

Comments:

Review by Dark_Cobra See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Free!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Use it!"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
Been with freephoneline.ca for about 2 years after having it recommended by a friend who has been with them for almost 4 years now.

I ported my landline from bell which cost $80 and included the 'voip unlock code' (which is just the SIP credentials). Took I think a week to activate and port the number.

No problems with them after about 2 years of service, call quality is great! Using a Linksys PAP2 & have QoS setup on my router to give priority to the PAP2.

Can call anywhere in Canada and not pay a cent, I've setup other family members with this service. Some are out of town, but got them both a local number and a 647 number since they have friends in Toronto so people can call them without paying long distance.

All-in-all excellent service, no complaints, would recommend using it.

• Location: L9T4T
Good "Service is 100% free (unless you want to call outside Canada), relatively easy to use"
Bad "Major privacy breaches; strangers can port your computer and listen to you without you accepting their calls"
Overall "I would not recommend this service to anyone"

I am providing this review based on my personal experience with FreePhoneLine.ca, which is greatly mixed.

If you're looking for a free phone line, this company truly offers it. For the most part it is user friendly, with good call quality. Some calls would get choppy now and then, but would fix themselves after a few minutes.

My biggest concern relates to privacy and is why I would not recommend them, ever.

I had left the application open to receive calls as anyone would normally do as it acts as a phone line this way. At 5:45 in the morning, I heard a voice coming from my computer next to me saying, "Hello? Is anyone there?". I immediately popped up the app to figure out what was going on, and noticed that a call had become active automatically from a stranger. This stranger was listening into my home for over 10 minutes before they said anything. It was not only the scariest thing ever that has happened to me on a computer, but it was also a complete invasion of my privacy. I immediately quit the application to end the call, and deleted it in fear of a hacker continuing to use it to access my computer through the vulnerability of the software. Do not get this application for that reason alone.

(review was emailed from domain me.com)

Comments:

Review by michely See Profile

• Location: Terrebonne,QC
Good "Cheap, call quality when it's working."
Bad "Not 100% reliablable, atrocious technical support."
Overall "OK if you have a cell in case the line stop working and don't care about spending many hours of your time to have it fixed."

For those who don't know, Freephoneline advertise providing you a free phone number and a software where you can receive and make free call to many cities in Canada. Also, you can buy for $50 a configuration file to use with your own VOIP ATA adapter or buy a preprogrammed adapter for $99. This way, you can use any regular phone work as if you have a regular land line. Many cities are not part of their free cities, so you need to pay long distance fee that are needs to be prepaid.

I have been a freephoneline user since 2010 and ditched Bell completely when I bought the configuration file for my Linksys SPA-2102 in may 2011. I spend about $5 a month in long distance using the service and paid the $50 configuration file.

Lately I was having some problems with my line. I stopped having a dial tone on a Friday a couple of weeks ago. I called for technical support and was told that they had a server problem and I should reset my ATA two hours later and the problem should be resolved. It didn't resolve the problem, and couldn't take the time to resolve the problem the Saturday, so I didn't have a line for the whole week end. The week later I called and spoke to someone that would do something and call me back after on my cell phone. Never had a call back. Called again and spoke to someone that told me that can't help me as I was not in front of the computer and the ATA when I called. I finally was able to have someone resolve the issue after 4 calls and speaking with 4 different technical support assistants.

Last week, I started having the exact same problem. The only difference is that every single time I called to get support it hung up and asked me to call later. Both with French and English support.

I sent a service request and was told that my description of the problem was too vague to work on the issue. I replied to look back at the closed service request as I had the same problem as last time. I wrote down every troubleshooting steps I have done and asked to be called back on my cell.

3 days later, still no call.

Called service over 10 times using my cell and it always disconnect me. I even tried leaving my phone number to be called back when trying to reach the tech support for client that purchased the adapter. Got an auto call about 20 minutes later and I WAS STILL ON HOLD. Even worst, after waiting another 5 minutes I got disconnected. ARGGH!!!

I called back and chose the purchase department. Obviously, this one took my call directly. I explained my problem to the guy and he told me that he could help me as he is also a tech.

I explained my problem and he looked into my account.

He told me that my problem is that the Follow me setting was enabled and there was no number to transfer to. This is why I was getting directly in the voicemail when calling from my cell.

I told him I haven't enabled that feature and even if I would it wouldn't prevent me from getting a dial tone.

He told me to open the software and disconnect my ATA to test it. I replied that I was not home, I could start the software, but not disconnect the ATA. He told me probably the ATA was the problem. I told him I have already tried doing what he told and still wasn't able to receive calls using the software. He told me the problem was because someone enabled call forwarding.

When I arrived home during lunch time, I disconnected the ATA, started the software and still couldn't receive calls from it. I logged in the software using another account and it worked fine. I verified that call forwarding was not set on and it wasn't. Got back to work to come back about 4 hours later, I called back Fongo. While I was on the phone waiting, I connected back the ATA and to my surprise everything was working fine. Disconnected the ATA and tried the software and everything was OK.

I guess that someone there saw my service request reply and resolved the issue.

In my 10 years working in the computer and network business, I haven't seen such bad support except when I was threatened by a Dell technician.

I know some people would say they advertise free service so I shouldn't expect good technical support, but as I paid $50 for the configuration file and spend about $5 a month in long distance, I think I should at least have some sort of support when I consider that using the VOIP.MS service would cost me roughly the same amount.