FreePhoneLine page on DSLReports

Review by cyber_06 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Gratuit pour appels locals"
Bad "50$ pour la configuration sip + 25$ transfère de numéro"

Point fort:

Un seul payement de 50$ pour la configuration sip et appel local illimité.
Aucun frais de e911 mensuelle
Site web bilingue
Options inclus : afficheur, boite vocal, conférence à trois, redirection de la ligne.
Logiciel gratuit (Windows et Mac).

Point faible:

Très peu support actif sur leur forum (pour se qu'on paye...). Seulement en anglais leur forum.
Aucun logiciel pour téléphone intelligent.
Pas de fonction de déactivé les options.
Limité à 1 activation de fxs

member for 10 years, 770 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by r212raa See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "It is a free phone line."
Bad "Their offerings can be confusing."
Overall "It's a money-saver. What else can I say?"

I cancelled my landline and I regret why I didn't do it sooner. This saves me at least $25 a month and it works pretty well.

Compared to other VOIP companies, features are minimalistic. There are no fancy features other than call forwarding and voicemail. However, this is ok given what they charge for the service and the fact their audience is home users not a business.

Their free coverage area is pretty good. I support them with international calls as I do want this company to exist for a long time. Remember: next cheapest company to have your own DID in Western Canada, you are looking at minimum $3~ a month including E911 fees AND you have to pay for every minute of outgoing calls. I believe users should support them for this reason alone.

I sometimes get registration error but it gets fixed within seconds so I don't think I'm missing any calls. There was big outage once but it was one-time event and not a regular occurrence by any count.

Their tech support is based overseas. Most of them sticks to scripts but they can solve most basic issues just fine. Their development and bug fixes are quite slow and they could improve on that.

Comments:

Review by VOIPWEST See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Free, Good quality, Mostly reliable"
Bad "Nothing to fault"
Overall "One time $75 fee, buh-bye Telus $27 monthly. 5-star company."

I've been using this for about a year and now I can write. In simple words, I like it. It is for residential use only therefore lacks some advanced features such as caller ID filtering or callback/DISA/sub-accounts however those are not great importance for home use.

Reliability has been good. There was one day outage this year and occasional evening congestion but they appear to be continually working on it. I see signs of growing company, not a status quo.

Even with slight annoyance with tech support when needed (overseas), I just have to give this company 5-stars for everything. It is well run, dynamic, young, employees are answering questions on their forum - you just don't see that from bigger guys. Yeah development takes long time but we aren't paying them monthly for service either.

With Telus going up to $27/mo, initial investment of $50 + $25 porting(optional) will pay for itself in a few months. No wonder SHAW has to offer their phone for $10 a month. Don't tell me about their "unlimited package" at $30+ as I would never reach that amount with my LD usage with FPL.

Comments:

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

FreePhoneLine is grossly overpriced

I'll stick with Magicjack until the price of FreePhoneLine comes down to a more reasonable level.
r212raa

join:2012-07-01

4 edits

Re: FreePhoneLine is grossly overpriced

Doesnt' Magicjack cost $30 a year to keep the service? $20 + $10 canadian number.

Only time Magicjack makes sense is if you don't care about the number (no DID porting in Canada), make lot of calls to US and areas of Canada that aren't covered with FPL. My US+CA charges with FPL is maybe $5 a year.
lovevoip

join:2012-07-26
Mississauga, ON
I am testing freephoneline for the last 2 months almost. the quality is good but the problem i am facing is, I cannot call some numbers even though they are listed in a free city like toronto and calgary number starting with 587, one of the number is 416-848-0000. i called couple of times freephoneline and told them to investigate but i think they are not interested.

Review by Muzzy See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Free calls to major Canadian cities"
Bad "Buying SIP setting by phone, slow connection time"
Overall "Excellent service for the price"

I signed up for the forwarding feature 18 months ago. About a year ago I took the plunge and purchased the SIP settings for $50. The annoying thing was that I had to do that over the phone and customer service was only available during work hours. I bought this service as a trial initially and at first the voice quality and reliability was somewhat flaky. Now (for at least the past six months) Freephoneline.ca has become our primary phone line. Our physical home number is now forwarding calls to our Freephoneline. (UPDATE 2012-05-24: you can now purchase SIP settings directly from the website)

The only problem we are having is that it sometimes takes over 45 seconds before connecting on outgoing calls but the sound quality is very good (19 out of 20 calls). (UPDATE 2012-05-24: the connection delay problem is more infrequent as of late).

I've now purchased a second SIP for my wife to use on her VoIP capable cellphone and setup a the PC software and account for my father for when he travels.

I highly recommend this service to Canadians. Best way to get away from Bell.

UPDATE 2012-05-24: I've recently ported my home phone number to a third account with Freephoneline.ca and I am finally Bell free The transfer took about 2 weeks from the day I put the order through by calling Freephoneline.ca; the only real issue I've had with Freephoneline is that every time I've called customer service, I found it difficult to get clear answers to my questions, for example at the time of placing my order to port my home number, the CSR couldn't clearly answer if I could port my number to an existing FPL account without losing my existing FPL number (i.e. having 2 numbers on the same FPL account). So to be safe, I ended up creating a new FPL account before porting my number.

member for 11.9 years, 1157 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by PETN Monkey See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Everything. Call quality is excellent, the service just works. Oh, and the price! $125 in up front cost $0/mo ongoing"
Bad "Porting my number took some time and effort on my part. See below though"
Overall "If you know how to configure a router, strongly consider FPL for a home phone"

(Sept 2011 and Mar 2012 update at bottom)

Wow is all I can say. I got fed up with Bell about 5 years ago. $70 per month for a home phone. I switched to my cable company and their home phone offering for $25 per month and all services and LD included. Great deal and the voice quality was good.

Time went on and the cable company decided they were going to start treating their customers like the phone companies had been. The $25/mo went to $30/mo, then to $35. Some "promotional pricing" expired and the $35/mo became $45.95. Then another $2/mo took it to $48 per month. I was almost paying the same as I was to Bell 5 years ago. What happened? I sure wasn't getting more service, I'll tell you that.

I'd mulled over VoIP several years ago but was happy paying the $25 to the cable company for no hassle. The last $2 increase was the straw that broke the camel's back. I started looking.

I found FreePhoneLine.ca and started researching just how it could work. They'd been around for a few years and are owned by Fibernetics and have many business clients across Canada.

Here's the deal. They offer a DID for free. This is a phone number that belongs to you once you register. You can use it for free with a softphone client through your computer. This part didn't interest me - I'm looking for a home phone solution. Here's where it gets interesting:

For $50, they'll sell you a configuration file - basically a username and password to their SIP server. For $50 you can buy their preconfigured ATA or you can use your own. This allows you to use your existing home telephones to make calls over your high speed Internet connection. You just pick up the phone, get a dialtone and dial as if you had a Bell line. If you want to keep your existing phone number, it's a $25 fee to port your number over. That's it. $125 in up front cost and you keep your home phone number. (Or just $100 and you use the number FPL assigns you.)

From there on, there are no costs whatsoever unless you make long distance calls to areas outside their coverage. Almost everywhere in ON and QC is covered. Major areas elsewhere in Canada are covered. Smaller towns in BC, AB, SK etc., aren't covered. These calls cost $0.02/min. See the list of cities at »www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing

Downsides? Porting my number took about a month. I had to follow up with FPL several times. It wasn't a big deal but it definitely wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Having said that, when the port finally went through, it was instant. Customer support is good although they are out of the Bahamas and don't always seem to have the most up-to-date information on the accounts.

You need a good quality Internet connection to ensure the VoIP will work well. If you're a heavy downloader (read: torrenter) you'll definitely want a router with QoS to ensure that there is always enough bandwidth left over to sustain a voice call. If you don't and you end up saturating your bandwidth, one or both parties on the phone call will start breaking up. I already had QoS on my router and it took all of 90 seconds to enable it and configure it.

I would not recommend this solution to anyone who doesn't know how to configure a router single-handedly. An ATA is very similar to a router. I ended up using a Linksys PAP2T. With the default settings, my audio was perfect but the other party on a phone call would complain of hearing their own voice echo. I tweaked a few of the gain settings and the echo has completely disappeared. There are many sites and forums that will help you with this type of troubleshooting but some people just want a solution without any of these types of "hassles". For those people, there is Bell and your cable company. To fix the echo took me about 5 minutes of researching and about 30 seconds to make the fix. The longest part was calling a few people to see if they still had echo. 15 minutes of my time, (and theirs!), is worth it to me for a $0/mo phone bill.

If I had known it would be this easy, I'd have made this switch years ago. The quality of the voice calls is equal to a landline if not better and I've had zero downtime in three months so far. Other users have reported downtime a couple of years ago but FPL was in its infancy and has invested a lot into hardware since then. I did a lot of research before signing up and the consensus is that it's a very stable system.

FPL doesn't have as many features as some other SIP providers. They're fairly slow to add functionality but seriously, look at the price. VoIP.ms is one of FPL's highly rated competitors who offers a ton of features but you'll probably end up paying around $5/mo. Check out both sites to see which you prefer.

tl;dr: Highly recommended; fantastic service for a price that literally can't be beat.

Sept 2011 update: Still going strong. Not one single outage so far. Call quality is amazing. Many calls have been in the 2+ hour range.

Cost so far (approx 6 months usage) : ~$155 incl taxes. (Includes LD vouchers.)

Cost for cable company phone for 6 months: $332 incl taxes. (LD included)

Extrapolating my LD usage to a year, I'd be at $166 incl taxes for FPL and $664 for the cable company.

Presuming the cable company doesn't raise prices, a 5 year extrapolation gives my total cost for FPL to be $256 and the cable company to be $3320. That's over $3000 difference. What more is there to say?

FYI: The reason the FPL costs are increasing is because I use around $10 of long distance every 6 months to areas not included in the free calling.

Mar 2012 update: There was an outage around two weeks ago on a Sunday. I only noticed it for about three or four hours but many users on the forums seemed to have issues (complete disconnection) for ten to twelve hours. This was the first outage I have experienced in my time with FPL. The feeling on the forums is that it is related to FPL's partnership with Dell and the vast increase in the amount of users in a short time overloading the servers. It hit at a bad time when all the offices were closed. It took several hours to even notify the FPL staff and I believe it only occurred by chance when one of the FPL staff happened upon a quickly growing forum post with dozens of users discussing the outage. Anyway, all was fixed in the end and it happened on a beautiful sunny weekend so I spent most of the day outside.

Keeping the outage aside, the service has been exemplary. FPL has added more calling areas to their included cities list which means that there is only one number I regularly call which isn't a free call. My long distance costs were minimal before but are even less now.

I am still extremely happy with the service. I don't remember my Bell telephone line ever going down. My Cogeco phone was definitely less reliable than FPL though. I would usually have three or four major issues per year with it, some lasting for many hours. Cogeco's PSTN gateway (ability to call from Cogeco's network to Bell or other networks) often had chronic issues.

Am I biased in favour of FPL? Probably. It's hard not to be once you've used them.

Comments:

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "One time fee of $50 dollars"
Bad "Need to setup yourself might be hard for unteksavvy people."
Overall "Great once setup :)"

·WIND Mobile
It took 10 days to activate stating on the website 7 -10 days. Tech support only available from 9AM to 5PM but the service as been rock solid so far. You have to configure the voip adapter your self if u but they have configuration screenshots that you just copy and you should be up and running. The tech support on the forum is great . For the 50 dollars i paid for it is unbeatable.

Comments:

Review by loubnani See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Free phone number for life. Easy setup. Port your own home number"
Bad "One or two times service not available for few minutes"
Overall "Best free phone in town"

Great service especially that I do not pay any monthly fees or any contract.

Nothing to complain about a free service so far

Comments:

Review by zadigre See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Can't beat the price... free calling in"
Bad "support is sub par"
Overall "go get it... it's the best free phone service!!!!"

·ELECTRONICBOX
I've been using freephoneline for the past 5 months.
I bought the SIP settings to be able to use my account with my own ATA.
I also port my existing number after testing the service for a few days.

The total upfront cost was 75$... and that's it... nothing more to pay because nearly all my calls are made to Montreal numbers...
Later, I added 5$ in my account for future long distance charges... but after 5 months, my balance is still at 4.50$.

So far, I'm 100% satisfied with the service...
I was using voip.ms... I got some reliability problem with this provider... but since switching to freephoneline, it's been perfect!

with voip.ms, I was speeding 10$/month... now, this 10$ goes into my pocket...

I also got an other line for my fax machine... sending works fine for "free" cities... but outside the free list, I would say the success rate is 15%. receiving works for all numbers... I've been using the non-supported feature that forward all fax by email when the call goes to voicemail and this call is a fax... worked fine every time!

I'm also using my fax number as a voicemail for my cell phone... so instead of paying 12$ with my cell phone provider to get the visual voicemail for my iPhone, I'm paying for a package that give me unlimited call forwarding... so I can forwards my unanswered calls to my freephoneline fax number... voicemail kicks in after 1 ring... I PDF is sent to my email if it's a fax... a mp3 is sent if it's a voice call...

Comments:

Review by DSLJeans See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,ON
Good "Free, Reliable, Good Tech Support"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Best VOIP service in Canada"

I signed up to get the $50 config file using my own PAP2T-NA.. Setup was a blast as I'm a techie. I had the phone line up and running in minutes. Support g711 codec, never had downtime.

Comments:

Review by Splendor903 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Glad to be with Freephoneline. So far so good. No issues."
Overall "Highly Rated. Happy to switchover"

I stay in Toronto,ON and started with Freephoneline, to say honestly, rather hesitantly. I was using Vbuzzer before but had to move from them as VBuzzer took out Call Waiting option from their service.

I have used my own ATA(Linksys SPA 2100) and ordered ATA Configuration. I got the file within one hour of online payment.

Configuration file was simple and my calls to customer service were promptly answered. I am with Freephoneline for the last 12 months and very happy with Freephoneline service.

I recommended Freephoneline to 2 of my friends who switchedover from Rogers and are happy with service.