FreePhoneLine page on DSLReports

Review by Splendor903 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Glad to be with Freephoneline. So far so good. No issues."
Overall "Highly Rated. Happy to switchover"

I stay in Toronto,ON and started with Freephoneline, to say honestly, rather hesitantly. I was using Vbuzzer before but had to move from them as VBuzzer took out Call Waiting option from their service.

I have used my own ATA(Linksys SPA 2100) and ordered ATA Configuration. I got the file within one hour of online payment.

Configuration file was simple and my calls to customer service were promptly answered. I am with Freephoneline for the last 12 months and very happy with Freephoneline service.

I recommended Freephoneline to 2 of my friends who switchedover from Rogers and are happy with service.

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Overall "My email address got sold to spammers."

·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
Update:

I have a service that allows me to create a unique email address for everything I sign up for. That way, when an email address starts to get spam, I know who is responsible and I can block that individual email address. Lately I've been receiving lots of spam like "The ACH transaction (ID:19816583 ), recently initiated from your checking account (by you or any other person), was canceled by the other financial institution." from the unique email address I used for FreePhoneLine. Therefore, if you sign up for FreePhoneLine, I suggest you use a throwaway email address and provide minimal personal information.

From the privacy policy: "FPL, as part of the a Fibernetics Corporation group of companies, shares information with affiliate Fibernetics companies, and with specific branding partners, in this case Labatt Brewing Company Limited ("Labatt") and its affiliated companies or their agents and contractors, in order to offer customers products and services that they may find attractive."

Original review:

I only evaluated FreePhoneLine for its fax reception feature. With this feature, any incoming calls that go to voicemail that come from a fax will be converted to PDF.

On my first try, the sending fax reported success, but the received document was garbled and mostly unreadable.

On the second try, the sending fax reported failure after 23 seconds.

On the third try, the sending fax reported success, and the document was received perfectly. The speed of the successful attempt was 14400 bps and unfortunately ECM was not used.

I had similar results with different fax machines and different phone lines. (None of the faxes were sent over broadband VoIP.)

I did not provide a rating FreePhoneLine as the fax service is not advertised, not guaranteed, and I have not evaluated its service with regards to telephone use. Therefore, I feel a numerical rating would not be meaningful.

member for 5.8 years, 3476 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by concerned_ci See Profile

• Location: canada
Bad "spam and phishing"

Signed up with them using an email address created specifically for their site (this is how I find out who is selling my address to spammers) now I get several spam/phishing emails from multiple sources every day at that address.

Comments:

Review by nauru See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "No monthly fees, works perfectly, easy to use, free calls Canada-wide"
Overall "This is easily the best VOIP deal in the country"

What more can I say. It just works. Once you have the PAP2T-NA and a router with QoS capability, you just pay freephoneline.ca a one-time fee of fifty bucks and follow one page of very simple instructions. I had no idea what any of this jargon was at first, but actually it's really simple. There is a lot of community support here on broadband reports and also in the freephoneline.ca forum who helped me get up and running quickly.

Have never had an outage, or dropped call, or technical issue.

Oh and you get call waiting, call display, voice mail, unlimited long distance anywhere in Canada, all these things that Bell/Rogers/Telus make you pay for, for free.

Hard to believe some people are still paying $20 per month or more with one of the other phone companies when this service is available.

Comments:

Review by pierb See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Bad "Service not reliable at all; Customer Support is terrible"
Overall "Do not recommend. Not reliable service."

I do not recommend this service. You need communication line RELIABLE. This is the bottom line.

I am with freephoneline about two months.

Softphone works. Software is very poor, with some bugs but works. However, softphone is not the goal for many of us.

I bought from them settings for SIP device to use normal hardware phone. Firstly, the service does not work properly. There is a city in Canada (Winnipeg) to where I cannot call using hardware phone -SIP phone works only one way to that city. It means that there are possibilities that there could be other locations as well to where one cannot call or from where one cannot receive calls. Conclusion - service is not reliable if you are not sure that somebody can call you.

Attempts to fix it: more than 3 weeks I am trying to deal with their customer support to fix the issue. I was VERY patient. Here is what they do: every customer rep gets information what happened, going through possible issues, as soon as he/she realizes that the issue is on their side they say "I will escalate the ticket. Somebody will call you in 24 to 48 hours. If nobody calls - call again, but only after 48 hours". In fact - nobody calls back and nobody fix an issue. Then I call back in even more than 48 hours - they do and say the same.

Another issue - customer reps behaviour. Here is an example:

After 3 times my ticket was "escalated" I did call freephoneline again and went through same routine. At the end a rep said to me same mantra "I will escalate a ticket, etc...". However, at this time I did not accept this, and in quiet tone, politely started to tell to the rep that it was already done 3 times and just escalating ticket is not a solution. However, I did not have a chance even to say everything. As soon as the guy hears that I do not accept his mantra he started to yell to the phone "Hello! Hello!" pretending that he does not hear me (well known but rude technic to avoid conversation...). Then, after awhile the rep said that he did not hear me due some issues with the line. Then he tried to sell me his "escalation" again, but I did not agree with it. I again told him same things but as soon as I started to talk on this subject he started again to yell "Hello! Hello!" pretending that he does not hear me and then simply hanged up.

This is the way how they solve technical issues. In fact I assume they do not really work on problem solving, but cheating customers just to get them off the phone.

Today I did try to call their manager. They put me on hold, and after awhile they told that the manager is not available (in the middle of working day), and that manager will call me back. Of course, nobody will call me back, this is obvious. I am going to make a one attempt to get money back and if this fails then I will just charge back my credit card.

Once again - communication line should be reliable, and freephoneline does not provide with reliable service. This is possible that it works for some cities and for some devices. But you never know what calls you are missing and in case of any issues you will end up with their terrible customer support. I DO NOT RECOMMEND freephoneline.

09/23/11 - Update:

Of course, manager did not call back on my first attempt to reach him. Then, I called to get my money back. A rep told that a manager should talk to me on this, and at this time he did call. However, he tried again to "escalate ticket and wait" (after number of weeks...) and when I said "No" he said that he will pass it to Accounting and they will decide, but that they have no refund policy. He did not realize that they did not really sold me a product that works. So, they should call me back. They did not. Will wait up to Monday. So, once again - beware this unreliable service.

09/28/11 - Update.

Nobody called back to me after 5 days. I made the last attempt to settle the issue and called back freephoneline. The rep said that can do nothing.

What is clear - their so called 'support' just a shield between people and administration. This is their main goal. They do not have enough knowledge or resources to do anything. So, beware such company if you need reliable phone service.

As for me - I am going to report it to credit card company and charge back as since they did not provide me with the service, and did not want to refund money or fix the issue.

Hope this experience will be helpful for other people.

Comments:

Review by BossKumar See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast installation, Good customer service."
Bad "N/A"
Overall "Good VOIP Service"

Switched from Rogers Home Phone to Freephoneline service and I'm very happy with the service. I bought their Grandstream ATA device and the config file for $99 and paid an extra $25 to port my old number from Rogers. With all the taxes + shipping the final total was $158. No monthly fees, no service charges, no activation fee. Very good value for the money you pay. Free local calling and to all major cities in Canada. (»www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing). Long distance rates are very cheap and can be easily added to your account by buying it from their website online.

July 25 - Ordered Service. Got a free temporary phone # right away.

July 28 - Received the ATA device already configured. Plug it in and works with the temporary line.

August 9 - Old # is ported over from Rogers and everything works fine with the new service. (Caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, 3-way calling)

*Should you ever experience one-way audio/connection issues with the ATA device, you will need to forward some ports on your router. This happens only if you are using a third-party router like linksys. It is very simple to do and you can find out how to do this just by searching "how to forward ports on a ____ router" on Google. The ports to forward are 5060-5061 and 10000-20000.

UPDATE: Online store has so many glitches and errors. I purchased a $10 long distance credit and I was charged $124 for it on my credit. Called customer service 3 times over a week and still have not received a credit yet. Last time I called today, the line was disconnected while I was talking to the CSR.

Comments:

Review by SimGuy See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Great price, great features, supports SIP profile for ATA/PBX's"
Bad "$50 for SIP Profile, Softphone leaves a bit to be desired"
Overall "Great alternative to POTS"

·TekSavvy Cable
Have a Cisco Unified Call Manager Express / Unity Express VoIP setup running on a Cisco 2811 ISR and Cisco IP Phone 7941-GE/7961 SCCP end points. Wanted to test out the SIP functionality and see how ready SIP was to replace a home phone line.

The FreePhoneLine.ca softphone leaves a little to be desired, but for $50 up front you can get the SIP profile and dump that into any SIP-based PBX.

Quality has been very good in tandem with a 5 Mbps Teksavvy ADSL2 link.

Ordering process was quick and easy, and no BS. Had a local callable DID in about 20 minutes. All in all, a great alternative to paying for overpriced POTS service.

Just make sure to use your line - it expires if not used in 60 days and your DID is released back for resale.

Comments:

Review by straw See Profile

Good "Pas cher à moyen terme, qualité de voix excellente, afficheur, boite vocale"
Bad "rien"
Overall "Je ne pourrais demander mieux pour mes besoins"

Ca peut paraître cher en commençant, 50$ pour le compte et 50$ pour adapteur voip, mais a moyen/long terme ca en vaut la chandelle. Plus besoin d'avoir à payer par mois pour une ligne téléphonique résidentielle, c'est super pour le porte-feuille.

Le service a toujours fonctionné lorsque j'en avais besoin alors je n'ai rien à dire la dessus.

J'adore le fait que FPL offre l'afficheur et la boite vocale sans frais!

Je ne conseillerais pas le téléphone par voip à tout le monde ( pas à ma grand-mère en tout cas ), car si vous avez des problèmes, il faut savoir se débrouiller un peu en informatique.

member for 5.4 years, 2452 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oxymoron69 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,ON
Good "fast and easy to get a free voip phone line"
Bad "needs existing phone# to setup account"
Overall "great phone service when used with a voip ATA like PAP2T"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
I signed up for the softphone based service and within 5 mins I had a working DID# that I could call and be called from without recurring fees.

This service includes UNLIMITED local calling & free long distance to most cities AND small towns in ontario as well as a few other majors across the country.
Although other providers may not choose to terminate calls with fibernetics.

911, CallerID, voicemail, voicemail to email, visual call waiting, call forwarding (follow me) and any *69 smart-touch type service are included for free. Unfortunately, the service doesn't support fax (likely to prevent abuse).

Support is competent and quick to answer on their self-hosted forum at »forum.freephoneline.ca/

Eventually, bought the ATA config file for $56.50 (total with tax) and a Linksys PAP2T-NA from dell.ca hooked up to my DECT 6.0 gear.

When I bought the config file, I did it on the website through a fully automated system, billed to a credit card, no bullshit, instant transaction.

Sound quality is amazing, no echo or delay, every feature you could want and then some...
Only issue I had was DTMF transmission for IVRs, had to set DTMF to InBand, then it was sorted. I've experienced a few outages (sometimes my fault), but the system handles it in stride and forwards incoming calls to my POTS service when the voip is down.

I've kept my POTS line because it's almost as expensive to have DSL with a dry loop and ditched all the features on it to make it cheaper.

/update/
9 months in, stable as hell and still no bills to pay

Comments:

Review by Sharky905 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Free Phone - what could be better!"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Can't be beat"

Believe it or not they even have great support - for free! Why not try it. I have used it as both my home phone (with adapter), as well as a second line for the kids (computer based) and never had a problem. Even long distance (if you need it, most of Canada is free) is very well priced.