Wightman Telecom page on DSLReports

Review by cpsycho See Profile

• Location: Orangeville,ON
Good "Best customer service ever!"
Bad "Cant get better then 1mb in my area"
Overall "Best internet provider in orangeville"

·Start Communicat..
Been with Wightman a while now I should do an update.

UPDATED REVIEW:

Still a great service provider. I actual switched my phone service to them as well. Customer service is still great. There has been a once and a while hickup with their DNS servers but most of the time later at night like 1 am ish. That has happend like 4 times in the years I have been with them.

So if your in orangeville and don't want to go with rogers. Wightman is the best choice for dsl.

-----------------------------------------
Older Review

The best service I have ever payed for.

I get a static IP

I can run servers(email and web)

I get connected to competent tech service.

The sales reps are friendly and courteous.

When they say they will phone back to fallow up on a problem, they do.

As of right now I cant be happier with their service, just cant wait till they run fibre in my town if they do.

member for 5.8 years, 1949 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The_noob See Profile

Good "Not Sure"
Bad "Connection Drop Outs"
Overall "Needs Improvement."

Have been signed up with whightmans internet for a few years. Recently switched to their fibre to the home. At first, the service seemed to be a vast improvement over the high speed connection we previously had from them.

However, over time i have noticed the connection quality drops drastically, especially on weekends. friday evening to monday morning. Thanks to sites like speedtest.net I can see that, in fact, the service is very unstable and unpredictable.

Boasting a standard of 20Meg down and 5Meg up, I am lucky to get results close to these numbers. Usually, out of ten speed tests, eight will fail miserably in the download speed test.

Ping is consistently from 4-6 ms. Upload speed averages 4-6Meg.

However, the download speed can be anywhere from an unacceptable 0.02Meg, to an impressive 29.99Meg.

The bad news is such an unstable connection makes things like High Definition streaming, Online gaming and overall internet experience frustrating and disappointing. The connection was more stable before switching to fibre to the home.
very disappointed. Will be contacting customer service and hopefully have the issue resolved. interesting to see others here with only good things to say. Then again as i mentioned, the service WAS impressive for the first while, but has gradually degraded to the point of being unacceptable.

Comments:

Review by uptowngirl See Profile

• Location: Listowel,ON
Good "Fastest internet in Canada - we get more than 40 Meg download!"
Overall "Best value for your money - and best customer service, hands down!"

We live in Listowel and have Wightman's Fibre to the Home for our phone, internet, and TV service. Not only is the quality excellent, but they have the best customer service and technical team ANYWHERE. They actually answer the phone if you call, and they do fast installs.

We have phone with 10 FREE features (you don't that w Bell or Eastlink), and 2 cents/min long distance anywhere in Canada and the U.S., anytime day or night.

We have their internet - it's one speed for fibre - they say it's 20 Meg download, 10 Meg upload, but our average download speed is at least 40 Meg, and upload is at least 20 Meg on any given day. It's pretty much instant.

We also have their TV package - with a PVR and Essential and A Package (CNN, HGTV, MTV).

All total, set top box rental included, taxes included we only pay about $106/month. That's the same you'd be paying for Bell's TV service alone, or for two services from Eastlink in our area.

Wightman installed the network terminal in the basement of our house, so we have fibre coming right inside. Eastlink only brings it to the neighbourhood and you'd share a fibre cable, but with Wightman, you get your very own fibre optic line right into your house!! They did the install in less than 8 hours, and we were up and running with phone, internet, and full TV service. The customer service rep who signed us up was really nice, and didn't hide anything. She explained all the costs, so we wouldn't be surprised. The technician who did the install was great - he was clean, and didn't leave a mess. He even showed us how to operate the new remote control for our TV.

Wightman Telecom is the best! And they have the fastest internet speeds in Canada - I tested it on SpeedTest.net. Pretty awesome for a small town!!!

Comments:

Review by XaXiS See Profile

• Location: Canada Eh
Good "Unlimited bandwidth with no cap or throttling"
Bad "5 mbit is the fastest you can get right now"
Overall "Unlimited cap, doesn't go through Bell at all, nice and local and inexpensive"

I was with Cogeco, then Bell and now I am with Wightman. They are awesome. Friendly customer service, great connection, no download caps or throttling at all. The fastest you can get however is 5 mbit but hopefully that changes someday.

member for 4.6 years, 1037 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago