Skybeam page on DSLReports

Review by skybummer See Profile

• Location: Windsor,Weld,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "used to be good"
Bad "incompetent support; overloaded network"
Overall "pick something else"

Years ago, I chose the wireless ISP because it was the only option available. Service was ok for a while after the acquisition by Skybeam but then began its inevitable decline. I was supposed to have 5Mb service but I could only achieve that speed to two test sites. Other speed test sites as well as internet in general could only manage 1.5Mb. Clearly the speed was being throttled because the Network chart in Task manager was so perfectly flat on top. Skybeam support seemed unable to comprehend this discrepancy in spite of all the data I sent them. It kinda didn't matter though, because their network was overloaded. Throughput would slow to a measly 200Kb in the evenings. I finally gave up and terminated service from them. For the final insult, they wouldn't refund the unused portion of the monthly charge.

Comments:

Review by tiredoflies See Profile

• Location: Amboy,Lee,IL
Bad "What a Friggen joke they are hiding under T6 Broadband In this area"

·theWISP

I have had them for 8 years since they have been purchased by Sky beam Aka Jab Wireless I have been forced to a 900 MHz module told that it is what it is and that is all its going to be. I contact their support when it goes out and I hood up directly to it and get same results. Their technicians treat you like a moron when you call in. I have a masters in Computer Information Technology Certified in wireless networking Wired netoworking Fiber optic networking. When they put the 900 Mhz module up they put a 4' Yagi on it that is made for a 50+watt broadcast equipment for ham radio not made for this internet connection equipment. The module is made by Trango to which I contacted them regarding the antenna they advised me that the antenna recommended for the equipment was only about 12 in long and that most of the time unless I was shooting through house walls wasn't needed on a install as close as mine is to the tower. Their tech installed the module ad eyeball level and I almost walked into it as they did the install on it while I wasn't home. When I called them on it and told them that if someone got hurt I would get sued for their installers stupidity. Their installer also didn't leave a power supply for the module thus he plugged in a powered ethernet cable that had 24 volts dc injected into it on a module thats power maxed out at 14 volts dc. I asked them about this and they said oh it will be fine. What happened the next day their installer was out A moving the module to my roof height and B replacing the module as it burnt out from being over powered. They then again plugged in the cable without changing the power injector and burnt that one out and 5 others even after I told the tech that hey you need to change the power injector on the line b4 you power that up when he replaced the first one he still kept replacing module after module b4 he finally listened to me. I have all my certificates on the wall My Degree From MIT hanging on the wall where their tech can see it when they walk in the door and I pointed it out to them along with my Transcript showing I graduated in the top 5 of my class That I know what I am talking about and he told me I could take the paper they were printed on and wipe my A$$ with it. I told him to get his S$%^ done and Get the F#@! off my property. I complained to his supervisor who failed to respond to my email including the 10 that were Cc to their Corporate office.

I offered to give them a free consult to help them find their problem and was told oh we know where the problem is at were overloaded the noise level is to high and is causing the speed to go down. I asked them why they don't stop installing new customers until they can come up with an alternative that will maintain the speed for all or better yet split it up instead of having 100 customers connecting to a module made for a max not recommended by Motorola to max it out but a max of 60 Client module connections 25 recommended max for maintaining speeds of 12 Mbps for each customer by Motorola. My speed averages .5 down and .1 up for a package that I am supposed to be getting 8 down and 1500 up. All of the service calls to my house said they needed to stop installing on the 900 MHz band as it was way to overloaded and they forced me to switch. One of their morons installed a 5.7 module at my location knowing full well that it would drop my connection 5.7 cannot go through trees at all and provide any kind of speed results.

I recommended switching to Ubiquity Modules as they can run at a full watt and not interfere with each other. They even tried to tell me that my 5.8 GHz cordless phone was interfering with the 2.4 and the 900 MHz modules. I laughed my rear off at them. Ubiquity is right now leading the market with their technology and their ability to be flashed with open market software. I was told to keep my opinion to myself that they would rather disconnect me than fix the problem considering that I had been a long standing customer of theirs. I need the connection for my VoIP phone and to access my server when I am away for my schedule and files I need for various client sites.

I have setup several Apartment complexes with Hotspot services for their residents and I can tell you that I use Ubiquity modules on each setup I have installed one complex with 48 buildings I had 1 AP and connected 48 modules to each one all on 5.7 GHz then inside each building I put a 2.4 GHz AP for the residents to connect to. The Complex has a 4pair bonded T-1 and maintains 6 MB with 0ver 200 people connected at anyone time. I have tried to explain to T6 this is something they need to use their first response was their Techs couldn't configure the modules so I gave one to my 12 yo niece that isn't computer savvy with novice experience told her what she needed to do to connect it to her computer then told her to configure the module. After 5 min she had it connected to their home network. Now if a novice child with novice experience can do it in 5 min than their supposed techs should be able to do it just as fast and have no problems.

I contacted them tonight as I have a static IP with them and when they went down and were down for more than 5 min I connected my laptop to their module directly got an error of duplicate IP detected by windows. Then rebooted my pc when to Linux and got the same error. I contacted them about it through their chat over my Verizon Mifi that I had to purchase for a reliable connection until Comcast installs at my location which wont happen for the next 20 days. So im in the chat with their rep to which I sat on hold for 35 min and on the phone I was still on hold when the tech came online. He tells me to please hold for 1 min. 10 min later I asked if he was still there he said he was on the phone with a customer he had several calls come in after he connected with me and that I was a constant complainer so I wasn't a priority. He then transfers me to another tech who didn't even read the problem just tells me to to email my logs to their support department and to have a nice day. I advised him that he needed to pay attention to the problem I was having and that I passed it on to him in slow detailed steps of what I had done and what errors I got. He got rude with me in the chat I then asked if his supervisor was available and who it was. I was told that I didn't have any right to speak with his supervisor. I advised him by FCC and FTC requirements they had to have a supervisor available for escalated calls and that I did have a right to speak with them I was then told to f#@! off and then he disconnected.

I was setting up a replacement for a new client went to a private owned tower and requested on the clients behalf to lease space on the tower. T6(Sky Beam Jab Wireless) had modules on their tower already they were open band unlic internet frequencies to which they proceeded to tell the owner of the tower that it was illegal for my client to lease space on the tower and use the same freq as them or any other freq on the tower. Then they proceed to Slander my client telling the tower owner that my client would damage their tower and that they had already caused a tower to fall down because of their incompetency. All false information this was the first tower my client was leasing space on and that I attempted to contact their corporate office about this slander that the T6 rep had done to my client and was told by them do not harass them anymore regarding that as it was a waste of their time they would not look into it. I then proceeded to file a complaint with the FCC and FTC as well as the States Atty Generals office against them for their practices as the tower owner was kind enough to pass over a copy of that phone call to me or my legal usage for my client to which I passed copies over to each agency that I contacted.

They aslo take advantage of people that have no knowledge of how to run a speed test what it means what their speed is. They are ripping people off I am surprised there hasn't been a class Action Law suit against them . I have had a total of 20 clients that I have setup with links that originate on a tower site where they end up leasing space on the tower and installing Cable internet at the tower and beaming that to their homes. All 20 clients were originally T6 Customers that were being ripped off by them and their Coherts at Sky Beam and Jab Wireless.

Seriously People don't buy from them they will rip you off big time contact me Ill get you setup with a link from comcast or who ever your cable internet company happens to be in your area. I do it for a low price and you own your equipment and I stand behind my work and guaretee that you will get 80% of the speed package you pay for up to 100 mbps.

Comments:

t6 is a lie

@t6b.com

T6 false advertising

Yep, they are trying to rip me off too. I am signed up for the siler package including phone which is supposed to be the 6mb plan. They only give me 6m for 30m of data transfered and then idle down to 1.5m. So if I do a speed test it says 6mb, but if I watch net flix for 5 minutes and do a speed test, it says 1.5m. I just verified this with there tech support as well. They actually have mu "sustained speed" set to 1.5m. The 8mb plan obly has a sustained speed of 2mb. I told them they are misleading there customers and false advertising. Where should I get internet? I will be canceling with T6.

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "the overall speed is good"
Bad "no cross department communication and nobody to sort out problems to solve issues"
Overall "if everything goes correct they might be allright but if someone at their end messes up you can't get it fixed"

Last month I ordered Skybeam 10m voip bundle when the installer came (although very knowledgeable) he=A0 didn't realize they even offered 10m service so he called to check and found out=A0it took a different antenna so he installed the 5m antenna and told they would be back next week to change it out , of course that never happened but after many yrs. of dial up I was getting 3-6m I'm happy with that and had them change to 5m service price .I then submitted a porting request to keep my old phone # after a few weeks skybeam e-mailed me to tell me my # had been ported so I started using the voip and for a week it worked fine. After a week the phone went dead the first few days. I assumed it was due to outages=A0then I began the beat down process of calling tech. support first day they blamed the outages told me it should be on any=A0 time probably before I went to bed now it hadn't worked in 3-4 days I had little faith it would suddenly start but OK.

Next evening still nothing back to support this time they said it must be the way I have it hooked up so I unplugged replugged rewired changed phones as told even though it had previously worked just fine, know that reaching and dealing with tech. support is no quick endeavor finally gave up 5am comes early for me. So next evening back to tech. and back to telling me it's my wiring then I asked why I wasn't able to access my phone acct. on-line as I was able to before things went dead that's when they figured out they turned off my service told me I wasn't signed up for phone service mind you after they installed a voip modem ,assigning me a temp # and porting my old # so being Sat. I was told it would be Mon. before it could be restored ok what are you gonna do but wait . Well Mon. evening came still no service so back to tech. By now it's been a full week my wife and 4 yr old out in the country haven't had a phone .I was at the point fix it or forget it the tech. assured me it would be restored shortly and it was so I thought all was well . The next day I tried to call home and once again I get their recording ( were not accepting calls at this time ) This time I wasn't waiting till I got home to call=A0 back to tech. support=A0for the 4th or 5th time and each time its like it's your 1st call explained all that happened and instantly he went back to their default solution he has no signal so it must be that I have it wired up wrong, yes I was livid !! at that point. I told them to cancel my phone service. Well that evening when I got home expecting the worse from the wife found the phone was=A0 working fine only they turned on the wrong number the temp. instead of my ported.

So I thought give it one more try I really wanted =A0to keep a land line and my old phone number so back to tech. I explained what they did wrong t=

his time and if he could just switch the numbers all would be fine then he told me since I cancelled I had no phone service and my old number was probably lost in the poole. Needless to say I have no phone service . I would highly recommend if you have any other options or high blood pressure don't use Skybeam . They seem to have no contact between departments the left don't know what the right is doing and after this entire debacle was clearly the fault of Skybeam no customer support made any attempt to get this right it's as if they really don't care buyer be ware

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

Review by avaghayes

• Location: Cedar Creek,Bastrop,TX
Good "I've not found it!"
Bad "Service"
Overall "Lack of Service"

Another bad review!

I am a previous customer of PVCo. They were always very friendly and
helpful. With the sale of PVCO to Skybeam, helpfulness has come to a
screeching halt!

Inordinate amount of time lost on making telephone contact for service.
Another inordinate amount of time lost in having repairs made. And now,
they are totally unresponsive to requests for adjustment to billing for
period of non-existent service - and they are threatening me with disconnect
and additional charges.

Ava Hayes

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Elgin,Bastrop,TX
Good "Nothing good"
Bad "Will not answer calls or e-mails on a simple service issue, no service for a month"

Skybeam has be horrible company to deal with in Elgin Texas. I have tried to contact by phone on numerous occasions and e-mail. My wife attends ACC and much her homework and papers are submitted on the WEB. Drop connections on time tests are not acceptable. No service for nearly a month does not help. My VoIP Phone has been useless.

My only option is ranchwireless.com. The kicker with these bums is after you go with a new provider they come by and claim the equipment you purchased from Eccwireless is theirs. They take the new equipment from Ranch Wireless and claim it theirs. You are then stuck with a reinstallation fee and the old equipment.

I have asked for a two month refund but I know my chances are zero. Eccwireless was local and their service was great. The service has been nonexistent and there is no one that will return calls. This is a simple directional issue that can be solved over the phone if someone would call or e-mail back. Hope this helps someone else avoid the problems I have had with Nobeam Wireless.

I will be filing a complaint with PUC and the AG's Office over this. I have never had such unacceptable service from any company in my life. For entrainment purposes only call 1-877-367-2622 for the never ending list of whole Texas Counties with outages that never seem to go away. They hope we are not inconvenienced. Dropped tests are a little more than this.

John Harmon

(review was emailed from domain austin.utexas.edu)

Comments:

Review by wheel4 See Profile

• Location: Elgin,Bastrop,TX
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "If you have options, take them"

I live in Elgin, and just like everyone else in this area Skybeam is or has bought all wireless ISP having a monopoly now. We have not other choice. We are paying a premium as Skybeam advertises 5MB down and phone for $59, but not if you were on an ISP they bought. Anyway, like others, service is frequently out, speed is slow and trying to get anyone on tech support doesn't happen. And, take a look at their website were they say, "We pride ourselves in offering exceptional customer service." What a crock. I am going to BBB. They have a C+ rating, I think we all should go there, BBB. I am pissed at his crap.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by slackmagnet See Profile

• Location: Hillsboro,Hill,TX
Good "so far good 2.5down to7.0down, 1.3up to 4.7 up"
Bad "was out about 6 hours 1 day only"

so far so good, i have had it about 2 weeks.
i got the poweruser at about $63 a month.
i not used to the fast speed.
my wife is on facebook-farmville all the time.
i am a xbox player.
the installer knew what he was doing, had a hard time getting the tower, but
finally found it.
im a happy custumer.
we are about 13 miles from hillsboro texas in the country.

service is getting worst, some time great 40%, some time bad 60%.
can't get a hold of service, left number no call back.
service is very bad about 5pm to 10pm.
no happy right now

• Location: Krum,Denton,TX
Good "Skybeam bought out Partnership Broadband which was the absolute worst; always losing connection"
Bad "billing problems"

I just sent an email message to Skybeam regarding billing, from their
website and the mail was just returned as undeliverable - permanent error..
Now What??

Tried calling and all I get is electronically transferred and transferred
and put on hold....

Sarah Paddack
Krum, Texas

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Burleson,Johnson,TX
Bad "Skybeam merged with Partner broadband wifi"
Overall "two companies merged and failed to notify its customers and then refused to refund money when product doesn't work"

I am extremely upset with Sky beam and Partner Broadband. They merged and then
failed to tell their partner broadband customers that they no longer maintain their site. AND to top it all off refuse to refund the money I paid for this service that I can no longer use. Any suggestions?

(review was emailed from domain BaylorHealth.edu)

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "works pretty well, when it works"
Bad "tech support is horrible"
Overall "would use anyone else if they were available"

I was orgianlly with a company called Unite Wireless which Skybeam purshased I suppose. Either way, since skybeam took over the isp had been dreadfull. I have been without service for over 3 weeks now. Each Monday I call them and ask for someone in charge to explain to me how they see this as acceptable, and each Monday I sit on hold for over an hour. I assure you, if I had another choice in my area, I would be there already. Today, I have filed complaints with the BBB and everyother post I can find. I simply would like to recieve the service that i am paying for

Lee

(review was emailed from domain ge.com)