Skybeam page on DSLReports

Review by toddy71 See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "They were great a long time ago when they were MesaNetworks"
Bad "Horrible support, no care attitude, long wait times"
Overall "It was the only thing available when I first moved there, but now there are other options"

I started out with Mesa Networks in 2003 since they were the only option in my rural Elizabeth, CO home. Service was great until about 2006-2007. Speeds got slower, there were intermittent outages, I would get "connection reset by peer" messages constantly. Upon calling support, they were able to try to help, but ultimately couldn't find any issues.

In 2009 I noticed that service prices had dropped and I was still paying my original price for slower services. I called billing, and had them move me to the 5mbps plan at the correct price. I should have checked my service speeds then. Recently I took my speeds at several times a day and only ended up with 1.5mbps at best. Upon calling, I get a 'too bad, that's the way things go' spiel.

Last week we had a very close thunder strike, and service has been out since then. Upon calling support, they say they can see the radio fine, and basically leave the ball in my court instead of helping. Here's the letter I sent to both their "Customer Care" and Corporate email this morning, still no response:

I've been out of internet service now for 6 days. It was last useable on Sunday morning 7/10.

I called tech support on Monday 7/11 and left a callback number around 5:30pm and never got a call back.

I called tech support on Tuesday 7/12 and waited on hold for 56 minutes, and got Ryan. He was very nice and stayed on the phone with me for about a half hour. He tried lots of things, but in the end thought it was the little plug in device in the house. We thought we were maybe struck by lightning and that got zapped. He sent me a new one and we received it on Thursday, 7/14. Upon plugging it in, and rebooting my computer, I still didn't have internet.

I called tech support on Thursday 7/13 and waited on hold for 1 hour and 37 minutes! I got Chris who stayed on with me maybe 10 minutes before dismissing the problem and saying he really didn't know what it was, but if it wasn't working in an hour, call back. It, of course, is still not working.

I've been with you guys since 2003, but for the first time am seriously considering cancelling your service. I need a technician to come out immediately and help determine why the connection isn't working. Yes, the technicians all tell me everything looks good on their side, but it's not good on mine, and for Chris to basically dismiss this as being my problem is unacceptable. Please send a technician immediately.

I've even gone as far as connecting directly to the radio before the grounding cable, just to make sure it wasn't any of the cabling in the walls at my home.

I work from home, and it's really affected me not having internet all week! Please help immediately! Thank you.

I'll update if I get a response!

• Location: /9227
Good "Good Skybeam service - pleasantly surprised!"
Bad "n/a"

I'm in Aubrey, Texas (just N.E. of Denton) which is a somewhat rural
area. I used to have Partnership Broadband and now it's Skybeam. I
was worried in the beginning - anticipating trouble and issues.
However, it's been a couple of months since the takeover and I
honestly can say I haven't noticed a difference, either way. Well,
okay - the billing system is a bit different. I still get pretty
reliable service although it's somewhat slow - but good enough to use
Netflix. Thanks Skybeam. You're doing something right in Aubrey!

Kimmerest

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by rmccomack See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Fannin,TX
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Nothing but a letter stating they bought out my internet service provider. Taken as a Warning that my service will now suck!"
Bad "Everything!"
Overall "They buy out isp's that are taking care of their customers, and Crap all over the people paying for the service!"

Update: 5/22/2011 It's been two months since I have been trying to contact them, and get things resolved. They never return phone calls, they never respond to emails, or never pick up on their chat support. Service is still just as bad, if not worse. I guess I will have to do the same thing I did with my last ISP and drive to their office and make a scene, so they can promise the world, but not ever attempt to deliver what they promise. Better yet, I can show up at the front door of the top guy in the country with a bull horn and let his neighbors know how bad this guy is at running legitimate business that charges his customers for something that he obviously can't deliver!

It's a sad day to find out that Skybeam (Texas) just bought out Partnership broadband (Texas)! I already went through this same stupid scenario with Rhino Communications (Oklahoma) who bought out Skytex (Texas) and drove the service into the ground. Basically they buy out smaller ISP's and turn the satisfactory service into nothing but hell and headaches, as they milk you of your money month by month, as they make up unintelligent excuses about why they can't deliver service to their customers. Its simple math folks! You can't resell more bandwidth than you buy! You have to stop expanding your customer base, unless you have the bandwidth available to sell! This should be illegal, and those of us who are being lied to should be compensated for all the countless hours we spend trying to use the service we pay for, but don't receive! To those who are running these organizations, talk is cheap! You show people by doing!

Not flapping your worthless mouths into a telephone, nor your worthless fingers on a keyboard! Words are Cheap when they don't mean anything! Good intentions are just that, Good intentions. Pull your heads out and show those that pay your bills, month by month, some results! I am a customer that is being screwed by those who take my money monthly for something that I never get! Sounds like these kinds of companies are basically ran by professional crooks, by the way they treat those who pay their bills! About 5 days ago, since Skybeam started screwing with something that wasn't broken, my service has severely sucked. Now I average between 10% to 25% of the download/upload speeds I pay for, and my latency and ping has skyrocketed from between 20 ms to 60 ms, to 100 ms to 400 ms! Thanks Skybeam for the great welcome you are giving your new customers!

Comments:

Review by sandybourne See Profile

• Location: Springtown,Parker,TX
Good "Nothing at all."
Bad "Terrible Customer Service"
Overall "Find another WISP, if you can. Sadly this company is reaching joke status."

I was with Partnership Broadband and had received good service and speedy tech support for last 18 months. We were then handed over to Skybeam when they took over PB 2 months ago. Last week the service dropped out after a storm. I was told to purchase a new router I did this and had service but was slow. The tech came out after many calls and left messages to Skybeam. I once waited for a 100 mins on the phone for no response.

They finally came out a week later ,installed a new roof aerial and lined up to new tower. Whilst doing this the tech played with my router, told me I should go buy a new one , I protested that it was 3 days old ! After they left the system has been working very slowly and I am now unable to get into some of my favorite sites !

Still waiting for a response from SKYBEAM after calling them following the techs visit. Skybeam is a real mess;poorest customer service I have ever experienced. One really has to wonder what chumps are managing this outfit. Any CEO worth his salt would not keep his job for long with the company rated the worst in the league charts for WISP !

Update 4/26: Still waiting for these cowboys to return my calls.

Comments:

Review by Big_j See Profile

• Location: Venus,Johnson,TX
Good "I have nothing good to say bout Skybeam."
Bad "You name it. It's all bad"
Overall "You would be better off handing your money to a bum on the streets and let him kick you in the junk than to sign up for skybeam."

I was a subscriber to Air canopy and all was great. Fast speeds both up and down and great customer service. Then Skybeam bought them out. I feel as though i have been violated. Next to no service even though i'm paying for one of the high end phone and internet plans. I rarely see download speeds any higher than .5- 1mbs. I have never been able to get my Air Canopy e-mail transferred over to Skybeam. They rarely answer my calls and they never call back. They always say it's my computer or router, but i build and maintain a high end gaming system along with the latest and greatest router(s). Plus i test my equipment on my friends fios internet and it's scary fast. I no other service provider that reaches out here so i am kinda stuck. I would really go back to dial up if i could find someone to provide that service. I have had a tech come out several times now and why he is here it works great, but later that evening it's down again. Also the tech says they will be here at a certain time and show up either a lot earlier or later to try and avoid running into anyone at the house. Never in my life have a i seen such complete lack of regard for customers. All i can really say is that DO NOT FOR ANY REASON USE SKYBEAM.

Comments:

Review by wolfcry0 See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Internet where we dont have cable or DSL"
Bad "Slow speeds, ping is unstable under load"

For the past 6 months our internet has randomly throughout the day become extremely slow, to the point of unusable for basic web browsing, much less VOiP, netflix, gaming, etc

Update 1: I've finally gotten a service call scheduled to place some new equipment, I'm hoping this will fix the problems

Comments:

Review by riccarlson

• Location: Glenwood Springs,Garfield,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "they call back...."
Bad "The service is crappy"

I am a SkyBeam customer in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. (previously Sopris
Surfers).
Service was fine when it was Sopris Surfers, but ever since SkyBeam took
over, things have been deteriorating.
About 4 months ago, a technical issue brought the speed crashing down.
This weekend, our service plunged to .06Mbps.
They do not seem to know what the problem is and have no idea when it will
be repaired.
It seems like this is not just a local issue...when Skybeam acquires a
competent service provider.

Rick Carlson

• Location: Glenwood Springs,Garfield,CO
  • Telco party Qwest

I want to join the hordes of dis-satified customers of Skybeam. My friend has a t shirt : Skybeam Sucks.
Slow connections, horrible service and completely absent connection a few times a month.
So why not just change? We are in a rural valley ( Skybeam bought out a local company) where often
the only other option is satellite. Many areas have no cable infrastructure. So, for now....I just
need to vent that this company is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain sopris.net)

• Location: Cheyenne,Laramie,WY
Good "Cheap intro rate, free install"
Bad "Flaky service, slow speeds, awful tech support hold times"
Overall "Its better than dial up"

Users in the Cheyenne, Wyoming area should AVOID skybeam. They get their service from Net Wright, whom gets it through a Qwest virtual circuit. They currently throttling users at 1mpbs down and 768mbps up due to issues with Net Wright. Lousy speeds and terrible customer service, 2+ hours hold time. Find another ISP unless you have no other choice. I receive approx. 50k down most times.

tracert www.skybeam.com

7 22 ms 33 ms 38 ms dvr-edge-13.inet.qwest.net [67.14.24.93]
8 38 ms 24 ms 28 ms 205.171.52.90
9 26 ms 38 ms 73 ms webhost.skybeam.com [208.68.50.108]

Trace complete.

I got 6 months of service for $19.99/mo then $40/mo afterwords for the 5mbps down and 2mbps up. Actual speeds are 2-2.5mbps down and about 1mbps up when they are not overly congested or throttling my connection. Maximum effective tcp/ip connections is around 7-10 in, 2 out (full open); 90 half-open. Pings and latency vary, but are usually high.

Cablevision will be offering service in the beginning of may for 50mbps down and 10mbps up for around $60/mo including a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem rental. If you can wait for this, I would advise it.

-Aaron

(review was emailed from domain health.wyo.gov)

• Location: Alvarado,Johnson,TX
Good "Inexpensive"
Bad "Telephone customer service is nonexistent"
Overall "I do not recommend Skybeam"

Skybeam's Customer Service is lacking in all aspects.

> After choosing to receive a service call back, which NEVER happened, and after
> being on hold for 50 mintes & listening to the "call back" recording literally every 6 seconds... I am resorting to email....and hoping Skybeam can respond.
> My Internet speed for months is similar to dial-up. I do not have a
> virus or spyware on my computer, and do have a router. When the company was Dot11net.net the service was much better.