Skybeam page on DSLReports

Review by sogden See Profile

• Location: Crowley,Tarrant,TX
Good "constant speed of 10MB, very friendly installer and phone rep., AND IT IS NOT ATT!"
Bad "contacting company takes time, equipment on your roof."
Overall "The first day with Skybeam is great."

I read a lot of negative reviews on Skybeam. I have to admit I was very hessitant to sign up with them. But because of the none stop terrible service from AT&T, I went with my only! other choice of Skybeam. I am in Crowley TX. I signed up for the 10Mb download /2 Mb upload package. I can upgrade to 15Mb by just calling if I decide to. (I did find out that the 10Mb equipment works with all 3 choices of 5Mb, 10Mb, or 15Mb. So go with 10Mb first then go down to 5Mb later if need. The 5Mb equipment does not go up if started)

It took a 30 min. wait to call in and sign up in the evening. So apparently contacting them takes time. They called before coming like promised. J.,my installer, was very friendly and helpful. He made my wife feel comfortable with just her and my 3 year old here. I came home and he explained everything he did and tested it all. He hooked up the service to my existing router/Wifi network. I had no problems with the service working right away. He even did me a big favor while running the new line to my office and ran another cable through the wall to the attic for me.

To be fair I am on the top of a small hill and I knew this would help with my signal strength. And it apparently has. I have a constant 10Mb down and 2 up on multiple checks today.

As of the first day with Skybeam, I am VERY happy,

Comments:
sphinxguy18
join:2008-01-13
Dallas, TX

Agreed

I just moved out in the country, and the previous owner had DSL but she was grandfathered in. Once she cancelled, AT&T told me I could get dial up and that was it. So my choice were limited as well. I read a lot of negative reviews for them, however I have the 10/2 just like you and it's worked perfectly with Vonage (VOIP) which is my house phone and video chatting, working from home, etc.

So I cannot understand why there are so many negative reviews. But good post!!

Poz

@74.221.102.x

SkyBeam

I have the 5Mb business plan, unlimited data. The download speeds have been consistently less than 1 MB/s and the upload speed about 0.5Mb/s.

I can't download a 1.8Gb file. It should take about 6 min NOT DAYS. Tech support said they limit the amount of data per hour. SO MUCH FOR UNLIMITED DATA.

Review by KCsage711 See Profile

• Location: Sealy,Austin,TX
Good "I may get a 3mbps connection 1% of the time"
Bad "all other times, its in the >1meg"
Overall "dont buy this, not worth it."

Well... A while back a neighbor informed me of an isp called Twilight which was eventually bought out by Skybeam so we switched to skybeam thinking that we might get a 5 megabyte connection which is what we're currently paying for... however I'm lucky to get a 1 megabyte connection. I tried to contact tech support hundreds of times quite literally. but I get the same answer every time "oh the problem is going to be fixed soon if it persists please give us another call" then they try to blame it on the tower, but I've noticed a trend. about a month ago my neighbors didn't pay their bill, and my service skyrocketed I mean it was amazing I was getting a 3.5 connection CONSISTENTLY which is still not what I'm paying for, anyway I was getting a 3.5 megabit connection that's amazing compared to what I've been getting Lately. so now I know what the problem is, Skybeam runs off of radios, SO whenever there's two radios wanting to run at the same frequency, one cancels out the other or they both cancel out. I'm going to continue to try to get Skybeam to fix this problem but knowing their corporate minded employees I'm probably never going to get this problem fixed, however not all hope is lost because I have found a new smaller ISP in my area that can promise me 6 megs down CONSISTENTLY. so if Skybeam continues to ignore my problems as their customer then I will be forced to switch

Comments:

Review by RockyJim See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Larimer,CO
Good "Network is available more often than not"
Bad "Inconsistent network service, slow speeds"
Overall "They need a competitor in our area"

I have (pay for, anyway) 7 Mbps service. That's "Up to" and it's up to 5 Mbps download + 2 Mbps upload to total "7 Mbps". I have to do my periodic call to ask about low speed; today was down to 1.1 Mbps. On occasion it's up to 4 Mbps. Problems are usually blamed on "the tower". The service people are nice, though -- I've nothing against them. But the company should deliver the value that they sell to its customers. Especially when they get so many calls about the same issue -- slow speeds, inconsistent availability. Please, Skybeam!

Comments:
DLow

join:2013-11-16
USA

speeds

Are you on a 10ft poll ? how far away are you from the tower

id contact a supervisor i had the same issues for a while but now i constant pull 20mbps down and 11mbps up on the 15meg plan
Skybeamtruth

join:2014-01-14
Masonville, CO

The Truth about Skybeam

These are true facts from a person who worked there: The advertised speeds are RARELY ACHIEVED, on 5x2 your lucky to get 1/3 of that, if they disconnect you for even 5 mins. ( an automated process) they will charge you a 25.00 disconnect fee ( although it is all done with a click of the mouse to reconnect.) They charge different amounts for the same service ( depending on where you are located ) the billing is extremely unreliable and they change the cancellation terms without notification.

wishing4fast

@skybeam.com

Wish the speeds were faster.

Sure wish I could get what Skybeam advertised.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3255842215

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3255839664

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3255844725

These results were before 10:00am.....I'm thinking I should be closer to the 5mb down and 1 up that I'm paying for. Still waiting, a year later, for them to upgrade the tower I use. I've never had problems with the customer service. For some reason, when I check my speeds using the speedtest.skybeam.com, it always shows about 1Mbps faster than if I use the www.speedtest.net site......so I'm within specs according to skybeam.

Review by fishingrod4 See Profile

• Location: Poolville,Parker,TX

I moved to the sticks in 2006. Hughsnet was the only thing available other than dial up at the time. After about 6 months I heard about Unite Wireless. We signed up and everything was great until SKYBEAM bought them out. Our speeds steadily decreased to the point that I called customer service. After waiting for about 40 minutes I was fortunate enough to get a newbie on the line. I told him about my original agreement with UW. He was able to increase my DL speed to about 5 Mbps. That didnt last too long. For the last few years our connection is hit and miss. Right now I'm using my mobile which is limited. SKYBEAM is the worst wisp in the world. They are full of lies and deception, but they still expect your payment in full when it is due. For anyone livining in rural America, if there is any mobile provider with strong signal in your area, do yourself a favor. Purchase a data plan that will allow you to read the news at home and maybe stream a YouTube video here and there. If you think SKYBEAM is your only option, THINK AGAIN. They should be bankrupt from a class action lawsuit. THEY ARE THIEVES!!!

Comments:

Review by jfortune06 See Profile

• Location: Terrell,Kaufman,TX
Good "Best available option in my area"
Bad "Service is spotty, speeds slow at peak times, tech dispatch very slow"
Overall "It's better than Satellite or cellular on a price per speed ratio."

I live just outside of town where my only options are...

Satellite - which never lives up to it's advertised speed, is expensive and caps downloads.

DSL - which I am too far way from the C.O. to get any usable speed.

Cellular - I can get 4G surprisingly from Verizon but they cap bandwidth and make you sell your firstborn to get more available cap.

Skybeam - Not the fastest option, or the most reliable, but the best combination of speed, price, reliability available to me.

Here's the deal. I am a realist. Skybeam is filling a void in internet service for those of us in rural areas who are semi-heavy internet users. Their profits are not going to be as high as in a denser populated area where cable and local phone companies are available with better speeds and service. They have to pay pretty steep prices to get the fiber transmission lines to these remote towers so their profit margin isn't going to be huge. That being said, I have some advice on how they can help their customers...

Pricing structure - If you are going to offer higher priced connections, you need to be able to supply the bandwidth. If you can't supply 5Mb, don't offer it to suckers who expect to get that kind of bandwidth. I think an even better option would be to offer customers the option to pay a little more to get a guaranteed minimum bandwidth of something like 3, 5, 10, etc bandwidth. Just charge whatever you would need to in order to pay for the required backbone connection to make this happen. You can use QOS settings in your APs to make it work. I, for one, would be willing to pay $100 a month if I could get 5MB 24/7 with no slow-downs.

Installation - Please help those of us who are technically savvy to get the best possible connection by giving us access to our radio's signal aiming software. We don't need full access to change settings you don't want us to change, only access to see the signal and noise levels to help us better aim the dish to get the best possible connection. This would save your field techs SOOOO much time. I know that my dish moves slightly during high winds. Sometimes trees change during the seasons and affect the signal path. If I could just SEE what the heck is going on, I could fix it myself when I have time rather than waiting 2 weeks for one of your techs to come to my house and move my dish 2 degrees to the right. I watched the tech the last time to see how it works and it's really not that complicated. I actually did the dish adjustments while he watched the screen to make things go faster. He showed me how it all works.

Tech Support - Hold times, obviously, are an issue. This means you need more staff. The other issue, is you need more knowledgeable staff. I am in the tech support business myself and I know that much time can be saved if the techs can quickly diagnose an issue. You would need less staff if the staff you have are faster. A tech can better diagnose an issue if they have a full understanding of how everything works rather than relying on a script that wastes the clients time checking things that don't need to be checked. I had to explain the Ethernet OSI model to almost every tech I spoke to when diagnosing a physical connection issue. It was quite simple. I was getting a link up / down connection issue which is either link layer or physical layer, not network, transport, application, etc. Rebooting my PC won't help. They had no idea that the link light should remain on no matter what the connection status from dish to tower was. A tech visited twice on this issue and just replaced the POE injector which did not fix anything. I ended up fixing myself by re-crimping both ends of the cable from dish to the POE injector inside my house. The original crimps were HORRIBLE.

I hope someone from Skybeam reads this and takes some of my advise. I really want this thing to work. I understand the uphill battle rural internet service can be but there's no reason to shoot yourself in the foot too.

Comments:

wilbarger

·SkyWave
·Skybeam.net

Skywave

You do have a much better option if Skywave-TX is available to you. They have wireless ISP from Terrell to Quinlan (at least). Price is a little higher, but I get a very stable 8 Meg down and 2 Meg up. Very low pings also. You can check and see if they can offer you service. Phone is 214-763-7016

i called skywave-tx 2 times they didn't pick up

Re: Skywave

Leave a voice mail. Scott will call you back.

ya he called back

·SkyWave
·Skybeam.net

Re: Skywave

Are they going to be able to provide service to you? If so, please post back and let me know if your service is good. Mine has been exceptional for a WISP. It is a small company, but many of my neighbors now have switched to them. Good luck.

Re: Skywave

i am waiting for another call to see if i can get it

Quinlan, TX
is their service unlimited data?

Re: Skywave

Yes and they do not care if you VPN either. I use Netflix streaming and it works very well.

Re: Skywave

Did you ever get Skywave? If so, what do you think?

Review by Skybeamweak See Profile

• Location: Dennis,Parker,TX
Good "In January and February of 12' service was good. Since no bueno"
Bad "Zero consistency"
Overall "At times it's just moderately slow. Other times pages will not load at all."

Skybeam in Brock Texas has the privilege of having the best tower location in this area.
Other wise the would have zero subscribers left.

South Parker county folks:

If you can get any line of sight towards Tin Top or 1-20 Cierra net is your best bet.
They haven't used the 900 frequency type service that skybeam uses for years. Their technology
Has been basically out of date for years.

Regretful customer.
Disclosure:
I would happily change this review if they would upgrade the network here;)

Comments:

Review by elisamae See Profile

• Location: Paige,Bastrop,TX
Bad "MONOPOLY - Can't fix the tower"
Overall "A new provider is avail and I'm outa here"

Old company ECC Wireless (local in Texas) was purchased by SkyBeam out of Utah. Old company was great - no complaints worked as expected.

SkyBeam lowered the internet speed of service and raised the prices, refused to honor the previous deal (where I paid for a full year in advance and rcvd extra time) and said that they had no requirement to honor any previous agreements. Service tech response time is now measured in weeks. The shortest we had to wait for a tech was 13 days and whenever they came out they always said there was nothing wrong with our equipment it is all the towers fault. But there is no one from the company in the entire State of Texas that can climb the tower, so the ticket remains open with no resolution from June 2012 until present March 2013.

Basically, we were stuck with no other companies to change service to since SkyBeam bought ALL the local providers and created a monopoly. I tried to be friendly, cordial, patient while we were Up and Down and Up and Down. One time the speed test reported .45kbps (That's slower than Dial Up)! They kept saying they were going to give us credit for the bad internet days on the bill, and every now and then they did, but that was not the point. The point is I wanted internet that worked not a credit for when it didn't or me having to chase down the billing people to give me my credit and argue that I didn't get the credit.

A few months back I started receiving Denial of Service attack being reported from my router. The traces showed they were being generated from within the SkyBeam local network. The SkyBeam tech support told me that I needed to buy a better router and that it was my problem. They didn't even want the logs! The tech didn't even know what a DoS attack was, thought is was something to do with the old MSDos Operating System. I think i confused him when I told him I was running Linux.

Google search bbs SkyBeam Texas: They have improved since December last year from a "F" rating to a "D+".

But finally a new company has moved into the area. The internet speed is faster that my daughters cable service in the city. Absolutely NO issues and they are local people (yes local, they live in the area)!

I patiently waited for another company and a new provider is available and I'm outa here.

I'll give you a very bad analogy:

I think a service provider should be like underwear; you shouldn't have to know it's there, it doesn't have to be seen, and it certainly should support you when and where you need it. But when it is obvious that it's not working and you've tried everything to fix it, it's better to toss that aside and get something new.

Comments:
Skybeam

join:2013-04-01

Thank you for your comment.

Thank you for this opportunity to help. We strive always be your best connection choice. This includes providing amazing support and response from our dedicated Customer Support Team. I want to personally reach out and help with any issues you may be experiencing. Would you please contact me directly? Thank you, Tom Gallegos, Director of Customer Care, Direct Line - 970-295-4092 (M-F)

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Lower on the cost scale"
Bad "Poor service, poor speeds at peak times"
Overall "Too bad they cannot provide the service level of the company they bought out"

We were with Air Wave Access for years with few problems and fantastic
customer service. Then, like many others, we got the 'opportunity' to
change when Skybeam took over and bought Air Wave out. They're pitiful.
Tech support emails do not get returned, are often in broken english when
they are answered, phone calls are useless since they just have you shut
everything down, sratch their heads, come out to the house, mess around for
a while and tell you 'it is what it is'. As long as I don't want to use the
internet when it's convenient for me, the speeds are ok. I am so sick of
these idiots I could scream. I think these companies use the poor speeds
to extort you to upgrade your service(for another 10.00 or more per month).
The traffic is their problem to handle, I shouldn't have to pay more to get
what I'm already paying for. We're in a rural area south of Denver and
there isn't any cable in the ground so we have to use one of these services.
The direct-to-satellite providers are a lot more expensive and try to hide
it with the promos. Our phone provider has internet but it's Century
Link(formerly Qwest) and they're just waiting to die, I think. Their
service is beyond bad.

Thanks,

Mark Horton

303 902 3810

"Teamwork is based on outstanding execution of assigned responsibilities,
not compromise and cooperation."-Chuck Coonradt, The Game of Work

(review was emailed from domain myawai.com)

Comments:

Review by RenHoek See Profile

• Location: Peyton,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Good high-speed internet in the "middle of nowhere""
Bad "Goes down once in a while, but usually for only a few minutes"
Overall "Good value for the price"

When me moved to "the country", we went through the Qwest website for DSL and their website said high speed DSL was available at our address. When we tried to order, they said, "sorry, not available in your area". Same with Comcast, the local cable monopoly. Our new neighbors had SkyBeam and were happy with them. The service is "point-to-point" wireless using a dish similar to DirecTV. We have direct line-of-sight to the tower about 7 miles away so the signal is awesome, even when it rains or snows. So far only a couple of minor outages in 6 months, nothing for more than 1 hour and that was due to power issues at the tower. So far I'm very happy with the service. 5Mbps down/1Mbps up for $41 a month is WAY better than satellite internet.

Comments:
Skybeam

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Skybeam. We strive always be your best connection choice. Thank you, Tom Gallegos, Director of Customer Care

Review by lathcar See Profile

• Location: 81403
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "When it works...only relatively high speed choice for remote locations"
Bad "I wish I had another choice"

I have never had so many problems with an internet company before. Always it is internet performance issues. In the beginning (in 2010) until around Nov 2011 things went well. Something happened in Nov , and I started having issues with speed. It took them about 3 months to resolve. I must have called them every week to get an update. I even had to write a letter to BBB to get some resolution. BTW - their rating with them is "F".

Recently (8/2012) their system went down in Colorado and Wyoming for two entire days. It is still not up in my area. But, as support always says, they are aware of the problem and working on it. They must have subpar equipment and maintenance protocols to have these ongoing issues...not to mention management direction. I wish I had another choice (besides satellite, which is not much better than dial up), else I would have dropped them a long time ago.