Cablemas page on DSLReports

Review by suppafly See Profile

Good "Decently priced Triple play"
Bad "Internet modem disconnection, technical support never showed up to replace modem"
Overall "Id seriously consider another Internet provider, if reliability is the most important aspect you value"

After spending almost 10 years using ADSL from the "big company", I finally decided to switch to Cablemas triple play, here in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

For 57 USD they offer you 10 megabits Internet (a quite decent speed by mexican standards), along with telephone service w unlimited USA/Canada (limited to 1000 mins) and Cell phone calling (limited to 100 mins), along with Analog TV for up to 4 TVs (and a digital box included, others can be rented for 3 usd/month).

The only small hiccup during installation is that, given the choice by the provider, I specifically chose to have the installation done in the afternoon. Turns out they requested it for the morning, and I couldnt be home to watch the install like I would have hoped.

My main interest due to my work was to have a good internet connection. Luckily the speeds are great as advertised, and the pings and latency are much lower than with the "big company". The internet is clearly beyond the quality offered by the competitor on ADSL.

So far Im very happy I switched to Cablemas, lets just see what happens with time. Ive been using the service for a couple days so far, no issues!.

Update February 2013: The internet connection worked fine for 2 months, then for 5 days the latency (pings) were tripled to all destinations. Their technical support was limited to asking me to power cycle my device, and nothing else.

There were also 2 incidents last week where the cable modem lost connection (orange lights), I called technical support again and they scheduled an afternoon visit on last friday. Their techs never showed up, and they havent called me about this either. I am considering switching back to the "Big company" when my Cablemas contract is finished. The "Big company" has slower internet connections, but the service is more stable regarding the outages and equipment disconnections.

My internet connection has been back to normal for a few days, however these recent incidents leave me with serious doubts of the support I will get if there is a more serious/persistent issue later on.

Update December 2013: I am no longet a Cablemas customer. I went back to the BIG telephone company, their internet is slower (3 mbs) however it is reliable, and you dont have to wonder if itll work tonight or not

member for 4.7 years, 1652 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RaulG See Profile

• Location: 62164
Good "Fastest internet. Better than DSL. Good programming. VoIP modem without backup battery."
Bad "Tech/customer support. Analog signal is down, and had to pay for additional boxes."
Overall "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king. This is best company for your money."

I worked at this company, so I had it installed next day after I moved to my new home. Got the advertised speed for couple of months and now it's half the seed. I NO longer work for the company. I have 3 play (telephone, video, internet). Modem was new, but no battery backup. Mexico has numerous blackouts. Analog video signal is being shutdown, forcing you to get additional boxes for digital signal. Although you pay for 2,3,4 additional tvs at time of install, now they charge you again for the boxes (monthly). All in all, despite this facts, is the best company in town. Customer service is good, but most of the time they don't have manners. Tech support is less that acceptable.

Comments:

Review by gringo legal See Profile

• Location: Mexico
Good "They fixed the issue."
Bad "Was OK, now in limbo"

I returned to live as an retire in Tijuana. I ordered Cablemas, the only cable provider in town. I went with the "basica" plan to start, and was told I could upgrade as needed.

Lived here 4 years ago then I used Axtel, an over the air phone/internet provider, slow then but reliable.

Here is the status: They installed fine in 4 days, ran professionally mounted cable and gave me a great Netgear fixed/wireless model router. All documents also provided were in English.

I started with the 40 or so basic channels, (no TV bought yet), and 1 MB download, .26MB upload. Everything working as advertised for what I paid for. After a few days I realized this would not meet my needs. I had a friend who speaks a lot better Spanish than me call them on the phone. In a few minutes the girl has upgraded my account to the next level. A whole bunch of TV channels, and local San Diego feeds, (still no TV bought yet), and 4 MB download and .50 MB upload. Went home 30 minutes later and no speed change. So we called them on the phone and was talked through a reset of everything, and all working well. Speed as supposed to be for the next plan. Gringo happy! ( About 200.00 pesos more a month).

At this point I was very pleased with support and service, especially considering the infrastructure age they have to deal with. But now comes the bad part..............

A week later I see I am back to the original slow speed?? So my friend calls them up and gets a different and rather nasty female rep this time. She won't listen to the fact I had the higher speed, claims I can't have it until an install crew comes out in 2 weeks. She is told I had the faster speed and I understood that at some point a crew would be needed to make a physical location change to allow me more TV channels. ( I assume for the TV they remove a bandpass filter up the pole to allow the extra channels)? But that the faster speed was already there! Turned on at the their office and working for over a week. Nope no go, she claims that it is impossible and we must wait for crew to arrive and to basically have a nice day. Asking for her supervisor got an even nastier response and that was it.

So when I had the speed, it was fine. Cablemas has an internal problem they need to work on, and bad reps need to be educated. So I will wait until the install crew arrives, sigh.

Paying the bill was easy, (no on-line service), but I stopped at a local market, entered my contract # into an ATM looking machine, my info popped up for verification. I fed it the required pesos, got change and a receipt, and done.

If I have any more issues, I will drop them, live with over the air TV, and go with the phone company Telnor. I have friends that work at mid management their, so I will have no issues. I can get more than 4 MB, so we will wait to see what happens with Cablemas.

I have to remind myself that things operate different here, so I am learning.
___________________________________________

UPDATE: Well it took a while, but it was the holiday season and things do more a bit slower here.
Yesterday a CableMas technician arrived at 630PM, in the dark to upgrade me. We had communicated by phone prior and they were doing the best they could do to bad weather. (It was bad for several days, hard rain).

Between my bad Spanish and his limited English , he removed the bandpass filter at the pole, coordinated with the office, and left in 30 minutes. I now have my 100+ cable channels, lots of digital, and the 4MB internet. I must admit I was surprised at this late
evening effort, but have to give CableMas their just due.

So all in all, the saga is ended. Please don't waste time on the basic package, and then upgrade like I did, get the better one up front.

Gringo is happy.

Comments:

Review by Hanevet See Profile

• Location: Hampton,Hampton City,VA
Good "Only cable internet service in Tijuana, Mexico."
Bad "Sometimes down, sometimes bad latency, speeds slower than advertised, horribly slow uploads."
Overall "Cheapest internet option in the city."

There are no other broadband providers in the city. There was Telmex (Prodigy) Dial-up which was more expensive than Cablemas. We had cable TV by Cablemas also, but it was not part of a package. The internet service cost $40 a month. We ordered one day and it got installed the next, which is good service by Mexican standards. We were given a 3COM modem that looks like a shark fin. The only bad experiences were some intermittent problems, but it seems the problem was with the cable infrastructure being old, having been placed by another defunct company before Cablemas.