LUS Fiber page on DSLReports

Review by StLCardsFan See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Hella fast ..whoa nelly fast"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "good bye telcos / cablecos"

Heh ... 75x75 connection actually gets 71.3 x 71.3. Installation was fun to watch. Installers were top notch and were more than happy to converse with me and answer all the questions I could think of.

The TV equipment looks like the Motorola ATT Uverse box ... but with zero artifacts. Channel selection isn't as good as DirecTV, but the picture is just as good. I'm willing to support the local LUS in hopes they pick up additional channels.

The biggest seller is the internet obviously. Whoa fast.

UPDATE: Internet is rock-solid. Decided to switch back to DirecTV for the mountains of HD channels, HBO go...ect.

was upgraded to 1gbitx1gbit ....

stupid fast

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

LUS

won't get any more channels- they'll be limited to the amount they can pay due to limited cash. It will hurt them in the end.

And with Congress considering the Muni bull- it would kill LUS. Which it is expected to pass and be signed by the President.

·LUS Fiber

2 edits

Re: LUS

they will not be able to kill the existing LUS network. They may be able to halt it expanding to other cities, but since its a state issue and the Louisiana State Court gave Lafayette the green light they wont be shut down anytime in the distant future. There is no executive order or congressional law that supersedes a state supreme court ruling... short of the US Supreme Court which would never hear a case regarding muni projects anyway.

Lastly, the cash cow is the internet. TV is passed off as an additional service with zero profit. TBO ..i dont really care if i get tv or not ... with these speeds i can watch whatever i want on the net anyway.

Oh ..they are adding more channels next month ... the fox sports networks apparently.

JohnSJ

join:2004-08-14
Lafayette, LA
LUS recently got into the national cable buying coop. That will change the pricing issue and reduce their outlay in that dimension by about 20% over time. (It'll take two years for all the old contracts to roll over.)
JohnSJ

join:2004-08-14
Lafayette, LA
There is no Muni bill under consideration by Congress. Citation please.

Re: LUS

there is no muni bill ... just someone anti muni anything.

Review by durindana See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Blazing fast, better speed than paid for, beats the hell out of every competitor"
Bad "Not a damn thing"
Overall "You need municipal fiber, and you need it NOW"

Not much more to say. We voted for municipal fiber, the existing monopolists (Cox, AT&T) tried their damnedest to buy their way out of it, now it's the Medicare of local politics. Cox doesn't even bother competing in this market anymore - they're focused on paying state legislators to prevent game-ending moves like we pulled in other cities.

We, along with Chattanooga and a few others, are why statehouses are the new battleground. The monopolists have seen what happens when muni fiber (actually it's muni triple-play) succeeds, and it terrifies them.

Comments:

TelecomGuru

@74.80.53.x

A few things...

Your review doesn't really meet the criteria of what a review should be. You and I both know that LUS Fiber rocks (at least their Internet portion) but how do others?

Also: Cox does indeed compete in this market. We were one of the first to get their 105Mbps (and also when it was 50Mbps) Ultimate tier. We were one of the first markets to test Contour. They completely upgraded their plant. Etc... They do still have a place in Lafayette (the non-city limits and the apartments)

AT&T, on the other hand, just doesn't compete. U-verse TV is launching very soon and that will blow Cox TV and LUS TV out of the water, but that's about all.

LUS TV is mediocre at best. Problem-riddled and crappy channel selection. This isn't really their fault, they're new and small. I personally have Cox for TV and LUS for Internet, at least until U-verse TV comes out this summer.

LUS has some inflexible policies (requiring a tech visit for almost EVERYTHING) and when you start to get all 3 services, pricing comes close to Cox territory.

But yes, we fought for it, and we got an amazing ISP out of it.

Review by pmk11584 See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Speed, Reliability, Everything"
Bad "Haven't had any yet"
Overall "Leaps and Bounds above Cox and AT&T"

Download speeds have consistently tested above advertised speeds.

»www.speedtest.net/result/933162170.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/23104634.png

Comments:

Review by nelsong See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "93 megabits symetric inside the city, bundled telephone and television"
Bad "None so far."
Overall "More speed, more channels + HD, telephone, all for $30 less than I was spending before."

I've been a Cox cable customer for 15 years, a Directv customer for 10, and then my city deployed fiber to the home.
Per month,
Ordered 10 meg up/down (symetric) for $28.95 for the internet.
Ordered advanced telephone with unlimited long distance for $46.28
Ordered Digital HD with 3 boxes and a DVR, 250+ channels for $83.26

No price breaks or extra charges for not bundling. I could have had 50 meg up/down for an additional $20 per month. Inside the entire city fiber loop its 100 megabits up/down peer to peer no matter what internet speed you pay for. I'm actually achieving 93 megs up/down inside, and exactly what I'm paying for on the internet (10 up/down).

Order went smoothly, installers showed up 10 minutes early for their planned appointment, and were waiting for me to show up. One other time I called them to install another box, they showed up on time as well.

Motorola IPTV boxes (vip1216 DVR). They seem to work well, but I'm still getting used to the interface, I've been using a Tivo for 10 years.

Overall, so far, no down time, no problems, getting more than I was expecting (I wasn't informed that they subscribed to espn360, but they have it). All for $30 a month less then I was paying ATT + Cox + Directv before.

Comments:

Review by zitch See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Lafayette,LA
Good "Incredible speeds! Nearly 1 ms pings to the first hop!"
Bad "I still don't know what to do with this speed! Ok, for real, LUS Fiber isn't available in all of Lafayette, LA yet."
Overall "Just a great internet experience in all aspects."

I came from one Cox's 15/1.5 tier internet packages to LUS Fiber's 50/50 Mbps for $57.95/per month tier as soon as I found out that it was available.

The only reason it took some time was because LUS Fiber didn't have a renter's agreement form ready when I called; renters from that point on were set thanks to me... Once that was in place (took a week), it was another week's time to get the line installed, which was actually done in two stages. First stage was the Friday before the inside install where some crews setup the Alcatel boxes outside my house and ran the fiber line from the pole to the boxes. On the install date, the tech hooked up the battery backup to an inside plug, then ran an ethernet line from the box to the room I wanted the line to go. Now, I simply have an ethernet jack I plug my router (Old Pentium III running pfSense) into for internet, and I'm flying on 50 Mpbs internet!

There was one incidence where I got home and the internet was down after a maintenance run (LUS Fiber actually called me to notify that they were doing this beforehand, too). Took all of 15 minutes to sort that out (And all of 15 seconds to dial the phone number, wait for the rings, navigate to the menu for tech support, and I was connected to a human!). Ended up they reset DHCP tables when they took down the network, and my router was red-flagged as it tried to use the old IP when the network went up. Only "black mark" I've ever had in the 5 months I've been on LUS Fiber's 50 Mbps package.

I can probably go on and on about what's been good, so I'll try to make a short list:

- The monthly fee is what you see is what you get. No install costs, no deposits, no contracts. They have $57.95/mo listed for the 50 Mbps package, and that is exactly what I pay per month! No hidden fees or taxes that are tacked on afterwards like many other companies do.

- I have successfully tested the 50 Mbps internet speeds both ways, hitting rates of 49 Mbps on torrents for both uploads and downloads. I've also tested the 100 Mbps "in network" speed with another customer with LUS Fiber, and I'm seeing real speeds up to 92 Mpbs both ways!

- Not only speeds, but ping times are incredibly reduced. My ping times have gone down by at least 20 ms going from Cox to LUS Fiber! I regularly see pings in the teens or less on servers in Texas, and see pings less than 100 ms to servers in Canada and 150 ms pings to UK servers in ArmA 2! This is with 2 other housemates doing their own game playing and torrent downloads at the same time!

In essence, the experience has been seemless. And now that I've gotten used to it, I find myself impatient on other networks now (like at work which is still on Cox Business since LUS Fiber isn't available at the location, yet). I can't recommend the Internet service enough for those who are in town and have it available.