Virgin Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by MrElectro See Profile

• Location: Griffin,Spalding,GA
Good "4G speeds work pretty darn good."
Bad "3G speeds are not so good, and cost a lot more, with lower data caps"
Overall "It's a great service if you use it for on the road, or if you are in a 4G area."

I live in a marginal 3G area, so I can't use this for home use. Otherwise I would. The service is usually great, and the price isn't that bad. I am actually grandfathered into the $35 unlimited 4G per month. I wish there was 4G in my home. '

I am actually in Vegas right not on business, and when the hotel casinos want to charge you $17 per day for internet, this thing is awesome. Service has been exemplary. Actually better than my phone in one of the hotels I stayed at, and my phone is a Verizon LTE.

I'll never give up this little box. I love my Virgin Broadband, at least when I am on the road. If they ever get 4G signals out as far as I live, I will definitely say "FU" to Comcast.

Comments:

I_hate_VMUSA

@sbcglobal.net

they keep ripping me off for fees

I have no data access on my phone, nor do I ever text, and in fact my account shows NO data access and NO texting allowed.
Since jan 1, 2014 I have been ripped of for over 90 bucks for "data charges, when my ohone at times, was in my truck, overnight and turned off. Other times I have had the battery out, sitting on my breakfast bar, and no one had touched it for days, yet it seems it kwept making data calls. I get charged 1.50 for each data call.
How many calls do you think it made since jan 1st?
When will the FTC step in and stop these thieves?
Like I said it is either turned off or the battery os completely out. for
When will the FTC step in and sto pthese thieves?

·Charter

Re: they keep ripping me off for fees

this forum is about mobile broadband devices, not VM phones.... Visit an android forum for those.

said by I_hate_VMUSA :

How many calls do you think it made since jan 1st?
When will the FTC step in and stop these thieves?
Like I said it is either turned off or the battery os completely out. for
When will the FTC step in and sto pthese thieves?

Review by ctceo See Profile

• Location: South Bend,St Joseph,IN
Good "Small, Easy set-up"
Bad "Limited 4G coverage areas, HORRIBLE customer service, price for cap"
Overall "Will be looking for a replacement from another provider. I recommend the same."

I have had this little device for about 6 months. Worked great @ $35/mo for 2gb 3g, Unlimited 4G. Then they upped the price and combined the 3g/4g as aggregated cap. to 2.5 @ $55/mo. To make matters worse their system switched over mid-plan on me running me out of bandwidth. They posted $50 on their site as the new price. I go get a card after the change, only to find out that while I was asleep they changed it to $55, not $50. Additionally their fine print still says $50 for Unlimited 4G. Phone rep refused to acknowledge error even though he stated he was looking at the page and was trying to get me to believe that the $50 package was a "discontinued package" even though prior it wasn't even a package at all. The correct discontinued package was $35/mo. Making the last price hike a $20 one for a mere 2.5 gb. To make matters worse the phone rep tried arguing with me over the $5 until I threatened to contact a supervisor.

WILL NOT GO BACK ONCE I CHANGE UNLESS PRICE COMES BACK DOWN!

Comments:

ctceo
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

slot machine prices

One month to the next they cant seem to keep their prices and plans the same. Now they charge $25 for 1.5gb, non recurring 3g4g aggregate. Their 3G meter doesn't reflect this properly and shows me as having used up 411mb in 20 hours just browsing a few sites mostly comprised of text. Leaving me with 25 mb of "unused 3g". No 4g where I live unfortunately.

Still okay for an emergency connection or if you only plan on doing NON-Media intensive web surfing. Worked just fine for MMORPG's.
----
As long as superstition prevails, we will fall short of eradicating war, poverty, and hunger. -J. Fresco

khanacademy.org
thevenusproject.com
---

Review by Psychotogen See Profile

• Location: Saint Augustine,Saint Johns,FL
Good "Highly portable fast ping good download speed at first"
Bad "modem overheats download speed capped"
Overall "ok solution for portability, bad choice for home internet"

I will use this service in the future for traveling, I am currently looking to switch companies for home use. My bandwith is 200kbs down for 25+ days out of the month. I am getting over 2mbps upload.

Comments:

Review by JonFro See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "nothing good to say"
Bad "could care less about their customers"
Overall "rip off artists"

I have had a Virgin Mobile Broadband to go account which I have had for many years. Sometime in 2011 they changed the terms of their unlimited plan so that the, already slow, data rates get slowed down even further after only five gigs. The notice that went out said this would only apply to plans purchased after that date. I had no problems until this month when one week after paying for my plan I got an email saying my "unlimited" plan had reached its data limit and my speeds would be capped. My service quickly went from frustratingly slow to almost useless. Two hours on the phone later with extremely rude and clueless customer service reps and a manager, I was basically told they couldn't help me, refund my money, or get me in touch with anyone superior to their office. I have been frustrated by their inept customer service before, but this time I feel like they robbed me. I highly recommend against using virgin. Go with a carrier that has decent bandwidth to start with and cares to keep their customers.

Comments:

compuguybna

Nashville, TN

Unlimited doesn't mean unlimited "high-speed" data

(It's important to note what Virgin Mobile means by "unlimited data" -- they don't mean unlimited high-speed data. You get throttled after 2.5GB until the next billing cycle.)
Psychotogen

join:2013-08-07
Saint Augustine, FL

Re: Unlimited doesn't mean unlimited "high-speed" data

It is "unlimited*". There's always an asterisks next to these kinds of deals. You have to read the fine print. I'm dealing with the same thing, and looking at different alternatives. I would only use this for travel.

Review by sojourner See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "ZIP"
Bad "Everything related to this purchase"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

After a week of research looking for a proper solution for a Mobile Broadband requirement with my company, I bought the Overdrive Pro and paid for overnight shipping in order to use it for a very important function Easter weekend 2013. So far I have spent endless hours on the phone ( about 15 calls in 3 days all with numerous promises to solve the problem or call back...no one EVER does ) getting a vague series of conflicting promises and a basic jargon run around from support ( they all completely understand my frustration of course as I was told a few dozen times...) but I still I cannot sign into my account and get this device in operation a full THREE DAYS LATER. This is by far the WORST experience EVER buying and setting up a new tech device in over 30 years. If your looking a for Mobile Broadband solution and would enjoy spending endless hours on the phone with tech support agents talking through voice modulation devices from an unknown overseas location and ultimately arrive at a completely UNWORKABLE solution and NO SERVICE - then look no further. You have reached the APEX of technical dysfunction and hyperbole!. ENJOY! but be VERY VERY WARY!!!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Doesn't work anyway so why bother?

If you do ever manage to sign in the data rate is so slow you can't use if for anything anyway. It depends on your location but here I was getting 27kb or so I think, too slow to even open a web page.

·Charter

simple to activate, simple to use.

Amazing how two different experiences are totally opposite.

4/9/13 i bought a VM Overdrive Pro at Walmart. Went out to my car, and within 15 minutes my device was activated and ready to use. activation was simple.
added the $5 plan, and in minutes I was on the internet on 4G average 8mbps.

40 miles away, No 4G where I live, so reverted back to 200MB 3G, 80% signal, 78 RSSI, and about 800kbps, topping out at about 1mbps..

This is definately a keeper for occassional use.

how do some folks have so many issues activating, and others dont?

the Overdrive is much better than the MIFI or the MC760

Review by Crooze See Profile

• Location: Lewis Center,Delaware,OH
Good "Consistently decent speeds on 4G"
Bad "30 days and no complaints"
Overall "I'm Satisfied so far"

I bought the Overdrive Pro hot spot to use at work with my tablet. I'm using the $35 a month 4G unlimited plan and so far I'm satisfied. I'm getting pretty decent speeds 4-5Mbps. Plenty enough for email, browsing and streaming audio. There has been once instance where I couldn't connect at 4G but that only lasted for about 30 minutes.

So far so good.

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Nothing is good about this company. The company is rotten to the core."
Bad "Dialup speed for broadband prices"
Overall "They lie about everything."

Virgin Mobile is terrible. I paid $19.99 for the broadband device and
$50 for the 1st month of service.
I was only able to download at 10kb a second, and constant disconnects.
Yes, dial up modem speeds on a broadband device.
It took 30 minutes to download a 14 meg file. The unit kept
disconnecting. When I called tech support they told me that the only
needed to tweak
the service a bit. The service worked for about 5 minutes, and then it
got really slow again.
I called back and asked for a refund for the first month as well as
return instructions. They told me that they would issue the $50 refund
immediately.
They would send a return postage envelope and send me a check in 4-6
weeks. Guess what? They never issued the $50 credit. They never sent me
the return envelope. I called Visa, and they agreed to refund all of
the fraudulent charges from Virgin Mobile.

(review was emailed from domain zoho.com)

Comments:

compuguybna

Fishy?

VM would not have issued you a "check for a refund".

They would have just credited your credit card you use to buy your plan.

and how were the charges "fradulent". you bought the device, you bought a plan, you were unhappy with it...How is that fradulent on VM's part?
Expand your moderator at work

CONNIE GEER

@spcsdns.net

Re: Fishy?

THEY DID NOT REFUND MY CREDIT CARD BUT THEY ARE REALLY SORRY THEY CANT THO

Review by Leo84115 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Absolutely nothing"
Bad "Customer service and connectivity"
Overall "Don't ever trust this company's internet service promise!"

I ordered the broadband2go service in September of 2012 thinking that it might be a good way to get some mobility and fast internet access because they promised me that there is 4G network in my area (downtown Salt lake City, UT). The only problem? There wasn't! After two ridiculous weeks of back and forth and more than 10 hours of frustrations with a change of device, I finally realized that Virgin Mobile was not able to provide 4G service in areas they promised. I see no reason of paying $40 a month for unreliable 3G service and canceled my account within a month and sent back the device and hoping for the refund of the price for the device as they promised. It is now 4 months later and they till deny they ever received my device. When I was a paying customer, returning the device was no questions asked. After I stopped paying, they ask for proof of mailing the device even though they have provided me with a tracking number. It is absolutely one of the most unreliable company to work with. After reading other reviews, I wish I had read them before. It is as bad as most of the bad reviews suggested. I suggest you never do business with this dishonest company!

Comments:

Review by twhbhp

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Ok when it works"
Bad "Worked for months - doesn't work now."
Overall "Inconclusive"

I use Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go intermittently when travelling. It's
worked pretty well for a year or so. Starting recently I have had to
call customer service every time I want to connect. They say that
they've moved to a new system and it's not working correctly. Four of
the last five times I've called I've been told that the customer service
person I'm talking with has fixed the problem and it won't happen again.
I stopped believing that the second time I heard it. Twice they
billed me extra when the service was already paid up to date. I'm beginning to wonder if they just want me to leave. The symptom is that I can connect to the Virgin Mobile
login page, but I'm trapped there. When they reset something on my
account I get taken to a page that only says ESPERATE ALLI and then I'm good
to go until I shutdown the connection. Then I have to call customer
service again to reconnect. Is anyone else having this problem ?

(review was emailed from domain mindspring.com)

Comments:

sickofvirgin

@spcsdns.net

Connection blues

Same deal. I could have wrote your post! I guess it's time to start shopping.

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "MiFi Dropped to $19.99/Daily Plan for $5 Available for Backup Use"
Bad "Slow browsing in the afternoon/evening hours, high pings frequently."
Overall "Only using the device as a backup plan. Good for 1 year."

Dec 2012. VM dropped the MIFI price down to $19.99. also added a $5 / 3G / ~200MB daily plan. Using it as a backup in case my HSI drops.