Virgin Mobile Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by sojourner See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "ZIP"
Bad "Everything related to this purchase"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

After a week of research looking for a proper solution for a Mobile Broadband requirement with my company, I bought the Overdrive Pro and paid for overnight shipping in order to use it for a very important function Easter weekend 2013. So far I have spent endless hours on the phone ( about 15 calls in 3 days all with numerous promises to solve the problem or call back...no one EVER does ) getting a vague series of conflicting promises and a basic jargon run around from support ( they all completely understand my frustration of course as I was told a few dozen times...) but I still I cannot sign into my account and get this device in operation a full THREE DAYS LATER. This is by far the WORST experience EVER buying and setting up a new tech device in over 30 years. If your looking a for Mobile Broadband solution and would enjoy spending endless hours on the phone with tech support agents talking through voice modulation devices from an unknown overseas location and ultimately arrive at a completely UNWORKABLE solution and NO SERVICE - then look no further. You have reached the APEX of technical dysfunction and hyperbole!. ENJOY! but be VERY VERY WARY!!!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Doesn't work anyway so why bother?

If you do ever manage to sign in the data rate is so slow you can't use if for anything anyway. It depends on your location but here I was getting 27kb or so I think, too slow to even open a web page.

·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

simple to activate, simple to use.

Amazing how two different experiences are totally opposite.

4/9/13 i bought a VM Overdrive Pro at Walmart. Went out to my car, and within 15 minutes my device was activated and ready to use. activation was simple.
added the $5 plan, and in minutes I was on the internet on 4G average 8mbps.

40 miles away, No 4G where I live, so reverted back to 200MB 3G, 80% signal, 78 RSSI, and about 800kbps, topping out at about 1mbps..

This is definately a keeper for occassional use.

how do some folks have so many issues activating, and others dont?

the Overdrive is much better than the MIFI or the MC760

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Nothing is good about this company. The company is rotten to the core."
Bad "Dialup speed for broadband prices"
Overall "They lie about everything."

Virgin Mobile is terrible. I paid $19.99 for the broadband device and
$50 for the 1st month of service.
I was only able to download at 10kb a second, and constant disconnects.
Yes, dial up modem speeds on a broadband device.
It took 30 minutes to download a 14 meg file. The unit kept
disconnecting. When I called tech support they told me that the only
needed to tweak
the service a bit. The service worked for about 5 minutes, and then it
got really slow again.
I called back and asked for a refund for the first month as well as
return instructions. They told me that they would issue the $50 refund
immediately.
They would send a return postage envelope and send me a check in 4-6
weeks. Guess what? They never issued the $50 credit. They never sent me
the return envelope. I called Visa, and they agreed to refund all of
the fraudulent charges from Virgin Mobile.

(review was emailed from domain zoho.com)

Comments:

compuguybna

·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Fishy?

VM would not have issued you a "check for a refund".

They would have just credited your credit card you use to buy your plan.

and how were the charges "fradulent". you bought the device, you bought a plan, you were unhappy with it...How is that fradulent on VM's part?
Expand your moderator at work

CONNIE GEER

@spcsdns.net

Re: Fishy?

THEY DID NOT REFUND MY CREDIT CARD BUT THEY ARE REALLY SORRY THEY CANT THO

Review by Leo84115 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Absolutely nothing"
Bad "Customer service and connectivity"
Overall "Don't ever trust this company's internet service promise!"

I ordered the broadband2go service in September of 2012 thinking that it might be a good way to get some mobility and fast internet access because they promised me that there is 4G network in my area (downtown Salt lake City, UT). The only problem? There wasn't! After two ridiculous weeks of back and forth and more than 10 hours of frustrations with a change of device, I finally realized that Virgin Mobile was not able to provide 4G service in areas they promised. I see no reason of paying $40 a month for unreliable 3G service and canceled my account within a month and sent back the device and hoping for the refund of the price for the device as they promised. It is now 4 months later and they till deny they ever received my device. When I was a paying customer, returning the device was no questions asked. After I stopped paying, they ask for proof of mailing the device even though they have provided me with a tracking number. It is absolutely one of the most unreliable company to work with. After reading other reviews, I wish I had read them before. It is as bad as most of the bad reviews suggested. I suggest you never do business with this dishonest company!

Comments:

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "MiFi Dropped to $19.99/Daily Plan for $5 Available for Backup Use"
Bad "Slow browsing in the afternoon/evening hours, high pings frequently."
Overall "Only using the device as a backup plan. Good for 1 year."

Dec 2012. VM dropped the MIFI price down to $19.99. also added a $5 / 3G / ~200MB daily plan. Using it as a backup in case my HSI drops.

member for 5.4 years, 2476 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "It's only $35 per month / no contract"
Bad "Internet connection is extremely slow"
Overall "Not worth it"

EVDO Mobile Broadband

Paid $79 for it and I pay $35 / month for internet connection. Connection
speed is very very slow and not worth it. Don't buy the device. Just pay
for a cable company to get you internet service.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

compuguybna

DUH

If people had cable service, they wouldn't be buying internet service off a cell tower, now would they?

Review by elvey See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "For a while, it was the cheapest and decent value. I really wanted to like this service!"
Bad "Buggy network. Horriffic support."
Overall "I gave up and switched providers."

I was drawn by the $20/1 GB no commitment buy MiFi 2200 @ Walmart deal.

Initial (self-)setup was fine.

In brief, there was something wrong with Sprint's *wired* network that kept causing problems. I was unable to get them resolved and gave up.

Here are the technical and support nightmare details when I had Virgin:

I often get weird connectivity problems: The wireless connections are solid (I can *reliably* ping the DNS server (68.28.58.92) and reach 68.28.57.85 (hop1 whenever I run traceroute) but often, I can't browse any websites. The TCP connection is made, but no data comes back. (I used wget to get this low-level diagnostic info.) If I restart the MiFi enough times, data starts flowing fine; browsing, ssh, etc, from my PC, Mac and iPod suddenly all start working, and keep working reliably for a while. It could also be that Sprint starts blocking traffic because the don't want me to use SIP VoIP. VM tech support claims they don't block SIP, but their tech support is AWFUL. I didn't bug them 'till I'd tried troubleshooting myself, and had evidence pinpointing the problem. I called and took the time to very carefully explain the testing that I'd done and to my best to make sure the rep understood it. I called back to follow up the next day, as I hadn't heard back, and there was NO record of my phone call, or ANYTHING. I was pissed. I gave 'em all the info again, and got whatever bug tracking info I could. They promised I'd get a call back within a day or two. I got no call back. I called and they said well, we can see that you've been transferring data, so they must have assumed you got it working. Of course, I'd explained clearly the first and second time that the problem was intermittent...

I gave up and returned the Virgin MiFi 2200.

The Virgin service and support were so consistently awful and unresponsive that when I saw that Verizon was offering a $20/1 GB no commitment, buy MiFi 2200 with an iPad deal, I jumped on it. Verizon officially supports SIP, and the coverage, bandwidth and latency are all usually better. (I bought and sold an iPad with it to get the deal; it was a pain, but worth it.)

I returned my Virgin MiFi a week ago, with great difficulty, to Walmart. Walmart refused to honor their return policy; I went all the way up to the store manager, who was very rude, gave up, and returned it successfully, though with much further difficulty, at another Walmart. I had the receipt, everything was there and undamaged, all the packaging, and was within the return period.

I use the speedtest.net app on my iPod to log bandwidth and latency test results. It keeps a record of the external IP so I can go back and compare all my Virgin speed tests to all my Verizon speed tests.

UPDATE:

compuguybna mentions the return period. As I noted above, I was returning it "within the return period". I don't recall what it was, but I recall that it was there on the wall, at the customer service counters. I recall that the return policy was not uniform among cell phones, broadband cards and MiFI's, prepaid and postpaid.

I have a client with one of these, and was providing support yet again last week. Connectivity is less reliable than with my Verizon MiFi 2200, but is better than I had experienced.

member for 13.7 years, 707 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sspooner See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "No good points."
Bad "Terrible download speeds, unreliable connection, no customer support."
Overall "Avoid VirginMobileBroadband."

I purchased the MiFi 2200 online and it arrived fairly prompted in the mail yesterday.
After two hours of initial headache trying to get the device to connect at all it suddenly connected and starting working... for about an hour and then it locked up so badly that I needed to pull out the battery.

I have 5 bars of EVDO signal and see about 100-150 kiliobits per second, yes, that's kilobits, not kilobytes or megabits. The performance of the network is abysmal and definitely not "broadband"

I waited until about midnight, thinking the network would be quicker if less people are using it, sure enough it was ! I then saw nearly 200 kilobits... at midnight. Wow ! Welcome to the stone age.

This morning I called Virgin and asked for a return auth number to send it back.
They are crediting my purchase price and unused portion of that data back to my card.

I ordered a verizon mifi instead. Seems like people are getting good results with them.

Unless you are ok with dialup speeds and unreliable network access, coupled with a device that freezes every few hours steer well clear of this one.

member for 4 years, 7 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Papageno See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Sorta cheap I guess: $20 for 500MB"
Bad "Terrible support, very slow d/l speeds"
Overall "Not worth it. There has to be something better."

This is the third day straight that I can't connect to VirginMobileUSA's Broadband2Go (prepaid), $20 for 500MB/month using the MiFi2200 hotspot, and I've contacted customer service only to get the ever-helpful "try resetting your unit" advice, as though I'm a moron and hadn't already thought of that, done it AND PUT IT IN MY EMAIL TO THEM, but do they actually read the email? Of course not! After I answered that yes, I had reset the unit (I was polite, no capital letters or anything) they apparently have decided to ignore me.

I'm going on vacation soon and when I come back I'm going to try another carrier, maybe T-Mobile. They seem to have comparably priced prepaid wifi hotspot service. At least where I live, this VM service is undependable and slow (very often dialup speeds on the download), and I repeat, the customer service/tech support is a bad JOKE. Around 300 bucks down the drain, lesson learned.

Comments:

Review by ArizonaSteve See Profile

• Location: Apache Junction,Pinal,AZ
Good "Easy to install is about all."
Bad "Slower than 2G most of the time with long ping times"
Overall "Speed has dropped to 56k, slower than dial-up, now capped at 2.5Gb."

There are no other options available for broadband here at my house in Arizona so I decided to try VMo since the USB dongle is available locally at Walmart for $75.88. It started out at about 400kbps in November but by the end of December it had fallen to 56k which is slower than dial-up when you consider the long 600-1000Ms ping times.

The service is just too slow to do much except check email and browse the web but a lot of web pages time out before they can load.

Satellite internet users say this is an upgrade but I don't recommend it unless that's all you can get. It was advertised as being unlimited with no 5Gb cap like others have but that was Bait & Switch. They added a 5Gb cap, then reduced it to 2.5Gb but by then it was too slow to use anymore. Even at the fastest speed when I first tried it streaming video wouldn't play and nothing else would work that takes high speed broadband either.

Also the Sprint PCS network is unreliable and has been down a couple of times already in the one month I've had it. One Friday it was down natio wide all evening. They must only have one connection to the internet in somebody's basement in Kansas. If there are any lawyers out there who want to take on a class action suit I think we should sue Sprint for consumer fraud due to selling a service they can't provide.

»www.speedtest dot net/result/1074432596.png

Update: I got an email today saying Virgin Mobile was putting a 5Gb cap on their "unlimited" service! However that's not really a problem since it's so slow I couldn't really use that much. Last month I was able to use only a little over 4Gb and I quit using it when the speed dropped to around 56k and I don't intend to renew it for more bad service so it looks like I'm stuck with an $80 USB dongle I can't use for anything.

Update 2: Now it's being capped at 2.5Gb and costs $50? Why don't they just give up and admit they can't provide service or are they making too much money cheating everyone?

Some shills for the company have made comments that it must be customer/user error so for comparison I tried T-Mobile broadband using another USB adapter on the same laptop in the same location and got pretty fast speeds of 3Mb down/1.2Mb up! That really puts Virgin Mobile and Cricket to SHAME!

T-Mobile data is INSANELY Expensive though costing $50/mo for just 1Gb of data so I was only able to afford to use it for one day to do the tests. At that price it would cost me $200 just to watch a movie on Netflix!

»www.speedtest dot net/result/1171282445.png

Comments:

Review by dsl4ever See Profile

• Location: Whitewright,Grayson,TX
Good "No monthly contract"
Bad "Horrible latency and speeds"
Overall "Cheap "broadband" but not worth it"

Decided to give this a try in a fairly rem ote area in East Texas. Even with good signal strength, download speed was bad but latency HORRIBLE. I get the feeling that Sprint is giving virgin mobile customers the worst of their network. I went back to verizon mobile and plan to stay there.