Clear Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by BellSouthBS See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Good Speed, Latency, No RF interference from other 4Gs, allows VPN, **supports NETFLIX SUPER HD & NETFLIX 3D**"
Bad "Required outdoor antenna for top speeds. CRITICAL ANTENNA PLACEMENT"
Overall "If you find an unobstructed path to the tower, this service is great"

·AT&T Southeast
I never thought I would ever be writing a review that was favorable to CLEAR, because the towers were quite far away, and because of so many bad reviews.

I had just received a call from OMGFAST, saying that they were not doing any new installs, and they were taking me off their list. I still needed a backup internet provider, so I reluctantly called the number on one of the CLEAR advertisements I received. The girl at the other end was not that familiar with the tech end of the product, but since I am a consultant for microwave communications systems, and fully licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, this is my forte.

I received the equipment on Monday, a day early. It came in a green box that said Plug Me In. I did, and finally found a spot that gave me 1 bar of signal strength. I expected this, and my heart sank. Throughput varied from 2 to 3 megabits down. I called tech support, and asked to be transferred to tier 3, and wasted quite a bit of time having to explain to people why I needed exact tower locations. Finally I was transferred to tier 3. I got the latitude and longitude of a few towers near me, then used "Google Earth" to plot these paths from the towers to my home. I used "properties" to elevate each path about 20 feet in the air to see what NEARBY trees and houses might be in the way. On the second tower, I WON THE LOTTERY. I had virtually no obstructions between my house and the Flamingo Road tower, but the antenna pattern for my sector from that tower was not aimed directly in my direction, which was like trying to see the side of a road at midnight, with the car headlights pointed in a slightly different direction.

Google Earth showed I had a virtually unobstructed path to a tower that was 1.69 miles away. The next day I took an extension cord and the CLEAR modem up on the roof, and started looking for a "sweet spot." This turned out to be in the back of the house, with 3 bars, compared to the peak in the center of the house, which only gave me 2 bars. I looked on the internet, and found the modem IP to be 192.168.15.1 and put that IP address in my browser. I did not need the password, as the modem displayed both signal level (RSSI) and Signal to Noise (CINR a.k.a. the Ratio of the Carrier divided by the level of Interference *plus* the Noise caused by man-made and electrical noise plus what was generated in the receiver itself.),

Basically stated, the incoming signal should be 20 times greater than all the noise and interference that the receiver sees, or generates internally, and the CINR is the formula that provides a number (db) corresponding to how good the signal is. This number is given in a logarithm of base 10, so going from a CINR measurement of 10 db to 30 db is actually an improvement of 100 times! A 20 db or better signal to noise ratio is quite good for digital microwave reception.

Dish antennas concentrate the incoming power to a small area, and the feedpoint is located at that point. A 20 db gain antenna concentrates 100 times the power and sends it to the receiver (modem). That is why an outside antenna is helpful or sometimes necessary if you can't see the tower out of your back window.

The most helpful thing is height. Since radio signals at 2.5 GHz have characteristics similar to light, they lose around 10% or more of their strength passing through a small tree, and up to 50% passing through dense Maple, Bischofia, or pine trees. Concrete walls and reinforced glass (contains metal) also reduce signal strength, along with wooden roofs with certain types of shingles. If you can get a clear path to the tower, between or above the trees and surrounding houses, you will be rewarded with the highest possible speeds, assuming the tower has the capacity to handle the bandwidth. Unfortunately, I already noticed signs that the tower I am pointed at needs more bandwidth, and the one that is closer to me bogs down during rush hour and early evening.

I just happened to have a clear path, starting at the very edge of the back of my house, so I mounted a 20 db gain grid dish antenna (one that my company makes). The CLEAR modem requires an "RP-SMA MALE" (not female) connector to connect to an outside antenna. Without the antenna and with the modem on the roof, I had a signal level of -75 dbm, with an unacceptable CINR of 8. This typically happens when you are receiving two or more towers operating on the same frequency, or if you are receiving multiple signals from the same tower's transmitter, which bounce off reflective surfaces and buildings. This is called multipath, and a highly directional antenna will get rid of all these reflected signals, and only let the main signal through. With a large grid dish antenna connected to the modem on the roof, I manually rotated the dish antenna, and the signal peaked at -55 dbm, with a CINR of 30. I brought the modem inside the house, connected low-loss cable between the outside antenna and the modem, and the CLEAR signal level dropped about 3 db to an RSSI of -58 db. The CINR was still a respectable 28, so I started running some tests.

What I was most concerned about was packet jitter. CLEAR packet jitter ranged from 6.5 to 7.5 milliseconds, which is very good for VOIP (internet telephone). An NDT server reported C2S packet queuing, so no packets were received out of order, although this did seem to negatively affect both "REGISTER" and "INVITE" timing. Latency to the tower could not be read because of either a firewall, or the first hop was not pingable, but the next hop could be read, and that hop averaged 80 ms LATENCY. AT&T's 4G latency averaged about 120 ms. It should be noted that best "Round Trip" ping latency has been around 60 milliseconds, which is very good for a wireless network.

I ran my speed tests using a server in Indianapolis Indiana from my home in Fort Lauderdale Florida, which is a little over 1000 miles distant. Speeds ranged from a low of about 8 Mb on the downlink and 995 k up, to a high of about 15 mb down, with most tests falling around 10 mb down. There were a few hiccups, and only once in 4 days did the modem disconnect and reconnect automatically. Although the service is relatively expensive, costing considerably more than AT&T's DSL but slightly less than AT&T's 4G Wireless service (although it can't compete with a properly working LTE system), I have to give it high technical marks. From the standpoint of a total home internet service for me and my family, CLEAR is clearly the winner, if it can provide more capacity.

"Rain Fade/Scatter" and attenuation from the signal passing through wet foliage in a heavy rainstorm is virtually non existent at my location because of path clearance, and amounted to a signal strength loss of about 3 dbm (RSSI dropped to -61 dbm), and reduced the signal to noise ratio a mere 1 db, from 28 db to 27 db. There are many television stations that would envy a Studio-Transmitter Link (STL) this solid, and with such a good fade margin.

I recently found out that Sprint now owns 100% of CLEAR/Clearwire, thanks to Billion$ of dollars of cash from a Japanese lender. Sprint is shutting down their Nextel/iDen 800 MHz service, and replacing it with the super-fast 800 MHz LTE Service. In the meantime, it will be using CLEARWIRE frequencies in the 2.5 MHz band to beef up their 4G service. Hopefully they will reserve the 2.5 GHz Band for data only, instead of trying to multiplex it and use both voice and data over the same channel, a move that would make the 2.5 GHz service useless for VOIP and Video, not to mention lost packets and high data overhead.

CLEAR (Clearwire) is a member of the NETFLIX Content Delivery Network (CDN) and is the only way I can watch *NETFLIX SUPER HD* or *NETFLIX 3D* programming in my area. COMCAST, AT&T, and FIOS cannot deliver NETFLIX advanced Super HD or 3D services.

>>> UPDATE: Friday, the 13th day of September, 2013. Service is great with no disconnects. I use VOIP for my home phones, and call quality has been the best I've ever had. There really are no caps, and Netflix 3D (12 mb/s stream) is great, even while the kids are playing games on their computers.

>>> UPDATE: Saturday, Sept 14th, 2013. Had Comcast 50 mb/s installed on 30 day trial. COMCAST BLOCKS NETFLIX SUPER HD & NETFLIX 3D !! I will be cancelling Comcrap and keeping CLEAR for as long as I can. I cannot receive NETFLIX in SUPER HD or 3D with Comcrap.

This is the best speed I was able to get with CLEAR Wireless at my location using an outside gain antenna:

Comments:

OldAxe

@50.10.235.x

Clear

I got my clear unit sat it on top of the monitor and I always get 3 or 4 lights. Fastest broad band I know of. I don't know where the towers are located and don't care. $50.00 + a month ain't bad.

Review by Skipdawg See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Skagit,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Much faster most of the time than former DSL service."
Bad "Speeds inconsistent and get to DSL speeds at peak hours."
Overall "WiMax 4G is new service and so far out the gate not bad. Expect improvement over the next year."

I had looked into faster DSL or FIOS was not available, looked into Cable the price for what was received and friends reviews did not impress me so looked at this new thing Wireless 4G WiMax and Clear the former Clearwire had it to offer.

I first just ordered Home with the fastest plan and a week later added mobile to get the pick 2 for $55 for life. In a year or 2 that will be a killer price and not to bad for right now.

I ordered on-line quick and easy on a Friday and had my home modem the following Monday when I ordered the mobile modem I had it the next day. WOW! I like fast.

I'm a fan Of Texas Instruments and Motorola and got both with this deal in modems. Very cool.

So far I've had no problems with Clear. Talked to them on the phone once for information and there was no diddle daddle as my grandfather would say. The fella got right to the point and made sure my on-line order for pick 2 was done eight. I thought I had messed up on-line.

This is a new thing so I expect issues from the start but so far connectivity is good. I have the slow speeds friends told me about in peak hours but I have had some very good off peak speeds with test at Speakeasy and Speednet. I had one 3 days ago about 5 AM of 10.3/1.1 Mbps my mid day norm is about 3.1/0.9 Mbps.

Looks like I have 3 towers within 4 miles of me so that is good. Home modem so far stays at 5 bars and all is lit on the mobile also.

Hopefully this ride just gets better. 4G WiMax seems to have allot of potential.

Will add more down the road as I feel is needed. So far happy. I blows my DSL out of the water.

As of March 2014 Clear broke their promise that they would never raise the price of my service. Was told that for the life of my account it would never go up well they raised the price. So I dropped half of the service. Will drop them fully when I find a suitable replacement. I hate liars.

Comments:

Review by chris92 See Profile

• Location: Rock Island,Rock Island,IL
Good "Decent Speeds"
Bad "Latency, Poor Speeds when you have less than perfect signal"
Overall "It's been a good run....Solid Speeds, Very useful for when you are traveling"

·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
I originally ordered Clear to use it as a backup/additional internet for my stay at College (Augustana College). Since the internet wasn't great, and I had an interest in WiMax, and decided to buy the PXU1900 modem off of eBay. As soon as I got it, I was surprised at the signal I had. Now, I am in an area where Clear does not sell service - there is only one tower that covers the area (This is in Davenport IA). This Clear tower is a "Protection Site" that only serves the purpose of maintaining the spectrum license. Off of this tower, I was getting about 9.5MBit Down, and 1.5MBit up. I decided to sign up for the Unlimited Plan at $45 a month.

Setup was a little difficult. Since I didn't live in an area that was "serviceable" by Clear, I had to make up an address in Chicago as my "Service Address". My Home address and Billing address were my local address. Once I was able to get the account, all I had to do was give them the MAC address of my modem that I bought off of eBay, and I was in business.

The signal that I got at Augustana College was about 75%. This is pretty good, considering it's a good 5 miles away from the tower. On average, I was getting about 6Mbit down, and 0.4Mbit up. Pings were about 120ms, and the traffic was routed through Denver, CO. Latency at times would spike up, but only when someone else is using the connection. Gaming was doable, but only if that was the only thing you were doing. When the signal drops to below 25%, speeds are non-existent. Especially upload speeds, for example, I was getting about 3Mbit down, but only 0.10Mbit up, so web browsing was pretty awful at times. Overall the service was not too bad considering the area.

After about a year of usage, I moved to a different part of the campus, where I didn't get a signal at all. So I decided I wanted to cancel the service. Tech support is outsourced, and extremely foreign. When I called, I was prompted to keep the service, but at a lower rate - only $20 a month for the same unlimited service. I went with that option, since I wasn't going to be using it as much.

Since then, I have been using it here and there, when traveling to Chicago, and other places where Clearwire service is available. It has been pretty solid, and a good choice for those who are able to get service.

After having Clear for over 2 years now, I've decided to pull the plug after an e-mail I just got. When I first signed up, I was paying $40/month for unlimited 4G, which was pretty good as a backup at college, using about 50GB a month. A year later, I found that I wasn't going to be using it very much (because I couldn't get a signal), and tried to cancel the service. They offered me to stay with them for $20/month, so I was paying for it for using it once or twice a month. A couple months ago I started using it more frequently, but not as a necessity. Today I received an e-mail stating that my rate would go up to $45/month, so I have decided to pull the plug.

UPDATE:

I'm too wishy washy and still have the service. Since the technology department at College don't know the difference between ethernet and internet, their internet still sucks. (they upgraded to 800MBit for the entire college, still have 80% packet loss, and peak usage is still around 250MBit -- this should be an alarm that their equipment sucks).

The colder months with no leaves on the trees help improve the service:

Comments:

Review by connectr6 See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Easy installation - 3 years ago"
Bad "Recently, (after Sprint merger) service has gotten terrible. All service folk are in India"
Overall "Terminated service with Clear last week - They actually gave me an argument about cancelling my service. Ugh. "

They used to be good. When I got them 3 years ago it was an easy install and superior service to Time-Warner. Everything was reasonable until about September, when service stated getting erratic. Tech support seems to be based in India and very hard to understand; nor are they technically savvy. Do not understand the difference on a wireless system between signal strength and delivered bandwidth. After 3 years with Clear, terminated service with last week - They actually gave me an argument about cancelling my service. Ugh.

Maybe in a year or two after Sprint figures out what they are doing it might get better, but in the mean time, I changed ISPs. I would no longer recommend Clear to anyone.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by skeechan See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Very fast, available, $100 for 4G UNLIMITED! fixed + mobile Internet"
Bad "Needed outdoor antenna to get decent speed"
Overall "Only alternative is dialup or T1, CLEAR is a good deal"

·Cox HSI
Overall I would recommend CLEAR if you have no real alternatives. I would never consider ditching regular wireline service like cable HSI for it, but it is definitely better than satellite or dialup.

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

Thanks

An EXCELLENT review! Lots of fine info.
Cooljosh

join:2012-05-22
Orange, CA

Re: Thanks

Great post!
I would like to try the outdoor antenna if I can find someone to install that for me someday.
Cooljosh

join:2012-05-22
Orange, CA

I did similar without the outdoor work. After reading this, I move the antenna to our highest spot at our second floor by the windows targeting the tower. I got 13 mbps most of time also. During busy hour, I still got 7 mbps in Los Angeles metro industrial area. we are about 1.5 miles away from tower where we can't see it.

Before, we only got from 3 to 6 mbps download when we put it at first floor by the windows. Since we catch similar to the outdoor antenna concept, our noise number reduce from -81 to -60 sometimes -56 range. At this point, out ping time to LA severs is like 76 ms compared to your 50s ms. I wished someone can go up to roof and set the outdoor antenna for me what can improve the ping as well as VoIP quality.

We use most of our phony business phone lines on Skype, Skype-In and Skype-Out with US numbers. For this setups, skype is fine; not fine with Good Voice though. We are experience iffy results with Good Voice due to internet line of quality on the SIP. I just can't work this out without landline based internet.

Again, great thought and review.
madmom1217

join:2012-08-31
Beaverton, OR
I have clear and am very unhappy with it. We get kicked when ever we have 2 people using email or normal internet. If anyone wants to play a game they either can't get on or it's so laggy it wont work properly.
Also I have found out recently that Clear is run by the government and that they cap it so you can't really get the speed they promise. They are and have had lawsuits filed against them. Just search online for Clear Lawsuits and you'll see more than most people want to go through.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI

Re: Clear

LOL...couple of extra folds in that tinfoil hat. Perhaps that is the source of your modem's connectivity problems.

Clear isn't owned or run by the government. They are a publicly traded corporation owned mostly by venture capitalists and Intel.

»www.nasdaq.com/symbol/clwr/insti···holdings

Meanwhile just search for lawsuits for any ISP, Cox, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Cablevision, etc and you will find no shortage of them. There are no black helicopters flying over Clear.

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "As fast as AT&T DSL, portable, real customer service (real people, helpful)"
Bad "Slightly more expensive, sensitive to thunderstorms."
Overall "No service technicians needed, so I'm very satisfied."

I had AT&T DSL until they decided to discard me as a customer (cut me off with about 2 weeks notice), tried to connect with their replacement (U-verse) - and it never connected once. Technician came out at a time/date that we explicitly told them we were not going to be home. Overall, experience was bad enough I just told them to take the modem back and cancel our U-verse service as well! I'm happy to be done with them (they also lost my land line, I switched to netTALK and never looked back).

I upped their rating for reliability: the first year I have had only four outages (one for about a day, the others for well under an hour), and no outages since the - not bad for something that depends on signals transmitted over the air. Pre-sales info is pretty sloppy, but this is an ISP after all, and they all hide everything they can. I doubt any install can compete, though. Unless you bought it as a DSL or cable replacement and have 6 inch concrete walls.... Service and value still beat any other alternative I have....

I have to say that occasionally I get 300 kbit down/300 kbit up (probably just short of losing the connection). And most days I now get only 1-3 Mbit down, 700-1200 Kbit up. That's not as good as it started out, but still quite acceptable.

Only slightly more expensive that the $40 AT&T charged for the 6000/768 that I never got, so I'm very satisfied!

AND I'VE NEVER HAD TO HAVE A TECHNICIAN OUT....

Comments:

Review by danparker See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, will go down for days on end. Useless support. "
Overall "Clear is a cut-rate wireless provider, and the area they economize most is in maintenance/reliability"

I live in a major metropolitan area, downtown DC, within two blocks of the nearest Clear tower. When it works, the service is fine. Brief capacity-driven slowdowns occur, but not often enough to complain about. What really sticks the knife in a customer's back is when there is an outage, and this happens with disturbing frequency.

These events, which occur every few months, cut access for between 24 hours and up to a week. As of this writing my local Clear network has been down for 72 hours. A scheduled maintenance outage began Friday morning promptly at 9:00 and has extended to Sunday evening.

Customer service, outsourced to India, will only repeat scripted troubleshooting advice, and will not always be aware of localized network issue. Their rote response to an outage report is to acknowledge it and say it should be fixed "by 10pm." Local tower maintenance, also outsourced, appears not to work on weekends. What is more likely, however, is that Clear has made the calculation that it is cheaper to not pay for weekend maintenance than to pay the handful of persistent customers who demand a refund for down time, even the one or two who will terminate their service.

Based on this formula, I fully expect my service to return promptly at 9:00 am Monday when the techs go back on duty.

If what you do requires a reliable connection, avoid Clear at all costs. Ask yourself the question, "Can I afford to lose my on-line access for days on end and with no advance notice?"

Comments:

whfsdude
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Outage

Happen to be on Capitol Hill near 7th and Constitution Ave NE. Tower I am on went down during this same time period and just returned today.

whfsdude
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Re: Outage

A little rain and we're down again.

bh137

@tccd.edu

Clear works great - cutomer service sucks

For three days I have given my new debit card information to customer service. And for three days they keep telling me I haven't paid my bill. Today they cancelled my service. I like the concept of Clear but would never recommend to anyone to use their service becasue of the customer service. Clear needs to realize that without customers there is no need for you. If I am a typical example of how well one gets treated by customer service then Clear will keep losing customers.

Review by ocjosh See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe Springs,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good price for 2 lines, no cap, no speed limit till you work it out your own"
Bad "Require outdoor antenna to make it usable, new customer need to pay a lot more now"
Overall "I am lucky"

It's definitely not good for mobile use, because it can't continuous connect to different towers right away like 3G when you are on the go. Only if you are moving within that single tower covered area, you may move as fast as you want. The coverage is great outdoors only. Indoors are more pathetic on most of cases, only by the opened windows. The WiMax signal can't go through low e windows well, not to mention insulated walls (from full bars to nothing easily).

Both home modem and hotspot mobile modem, I have to use external outdoor antenna which are hard to install and expensive, to make it stable and good speed. I use the service in high condense populated Los Angeles area. Speed varies like any ISPs, but decent 4.5 Mbps to 16 Mbps from peak to normal hours. I watch Netflix through smart TV, IPTV box for live international channels, and a lot of online radio streaming. It's wonderful service till I have outdoor antennas installed, which the rooftop installer cost is about $50 after calling around and the antennas for $31 for my mobile hotspot (now it went up to $100s range) and $89 for my home modem external outdoor antenna.

I should have signed up the 3 lines for $80 back in October 2011, it's so precious now for the plan and affordable price. But again, outdoor coverage is a lot better than their indoor poor speeds.

update: 8/8/2013

Both home and mobile hotspot at 2 locations in Los Angeles county, the speeds still at least 6 mbps but peak is like 9 mbps for past 2-3 months now. I think Clear might have more customer or something.

I am seeing 3D and Super HD on NetFlix for 3 weeks now, they are great. But Youtube is buffering often with higher resolution options during weekends somehow.

Comments:

Review by KBentley See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "absolutely nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "Worst than dial-up"

Clear is so unreliable today is July 9th and since the beginning of July my internet has worked about 10% of the time. So if you want so internet you can't watch videos above 360p and constant outages get clear. Not to mention the property next to me is a Clear tower. I literally can see the Clear tower from my window

Comments:

Review by vidmanpk See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Worked great for 4 years"
Bad "Abysmal last month"
Overall "After 4 years I have switched internet providers"

I signed up with Clear Wireless Internet 4 years ago as an alternative to Time-Warner and was extremely happy. My house was within a half mile of their tower and I got excellent speeds in the range of 8 to 12 Mbps with my modem always showing 5 bars. I was able to watch HD movies without interruption.

When I moved last year closer to downtown San Antonio I continued to receive excellent service although I occasionally was seeing freezing with some videos. Speeds were still in 8 to 10 Mbps range with 5 bars.

Last month I moved again, 1 mile away from my previous location. I can see the same Clear tower that is halfway between my last house and my current house from my front window. Now I'm getting 4 bars and speeds of 1 to 2 Mbps per second with 4 and sometimes 5 bars. Video is constantly stopping. Web pages load as if on dial-up. When I called customer service I was told slow speeds were due to congestion. I find that hard to believe since I should be receiving my signal from the same tower that I was on just a month ago.

I finally gave up and signed up with Grande on a 30Mbps special that is only 4 dollars more than I was paying for Clear. Now here's where it gets interesting. I missed my install with Grande which was supposed to happen at the same time my Clear service ended. Grande can't come out for another day so I bought a 1 day pass with Clear to tide me over. Well, lo and behold, my speed is back with Clear. They had to release my modem from my old account in order for me to purchase the 1 day pass. My question now is, were they throttling my old account? I called support at least 5 times over the past month and could not get my speed increased. Now with this one day pass I'm getting the speeds I had before. What's going on Clear?

Needless to say, I will think long and hard before going back with Clear. Here's hoping that Grande delivers what they promise.