Clear Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by connectr6 See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Easy installation - 3 years ago"
Bad "Recently, (after Sprint merger) service has gotten terrible. All service folk are in India"
Overall "Terminated service with Clear last week - They actually gave me an argument about cancelling my service. Ugh. "

They used to be good. When I got them 3 years ago it was an easy install and superior service to Time-Warner. Everything was reasonable until about September, when service stated getting erratic. Tech support seems to be based in India and very hard to understand; nor are they technically savvy. Do not understand the difference on a wireless system between signal strength and delivered bandwidth. After 3 years with Clear, terminated service with last week - They actually gave me an argument about cancelling my service. Ugh.

Maybe in a year or two after Sprint figures out what they are doing it might get better, but in the mean time, I changed ISPs. I would no longer recommend Clear to anyone.

Comments:

Review by danparker See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, will go down for days on end. Useless support. "
Overall "Clear is a cut-rate wireless provider, and the area they economize most is in maintenance/reliability"

I live in a major metropolitan area, downtown DC, within two blocks of the nearest Clear tower. When it works, the service is fine. Brief capacity-driven slowdowns occur, but not often enough to complain about. What really sticks the knife in a customer's back is when there is an outage, and this happens with disturbing frequency.

These events, which occur every few months, cut access for between 24 hours and up to a week. As of this writing my local Clear network has been down for 72 hours. A scheduled maintenance outage began Friday morning promptly at 9:00 and has extended to Sunday evening.

Customer service, outsourced to India, will only repeat scripted troubleshooting advice, and will not always be aware of localized network issue. Their rote response to an outage report is to acknowledge it and say it should be fixed "by 10pm." Local tower maintenance, also outsourced, appears not to work on weekends. What is more likely, however, is that Clear has made the calculation that it is cheaper to not pay for weekend maintenance than to pay the handful of persistent customers who demand a refund for down time, even the one or two who will terminate their service.

Based on this formula, I fully expect my service to return promptly at 9:00 am Monday when the techs go back on duty.

If what you do requires a reliable connection, avoid Clear at all costs. Ask yourself the question, "Can I afford to lose my on-line access for days on end and with no advance notice?"

Comments:

whfsdude
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Outage

Happen to be on Capitol Hill near 7th and Constitution Ave NE. Tower I am on went down during this same time period and just returned today.

whfsdude
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

Re: Outage

A little rain and we're down again.

bh137

@tccd.edu

Clear works great - cutomer service sucks

For three days I have given my new debit card information to customer service. And for three days they keep telling me I haven't paid my bill. Today they cancelled my service. I like the concept of Clear but would never recommend to anyone to use their service becasue of the customer service. Clear needs to realize that without customers there is no need for you. If I am a typical example of how well one gets treated by customer service then Clear will keep losing customers.

Review by KBentley See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "absolutely nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "Worst than dial-up"

Clear is so unreliable today is July 9th and since the beginning of July my internet has worked about 10% of the time. So if you want so internet you can't watch videos above 360p and constant outages get clear. Not to mention the property next to me is a Clear tower. I literally can see the Clear tower from my window

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 325 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by GTForce See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "Getting ~1 Mbps instead of the 6 Mbps I was promised and am paying for"
Overall "Stay away!"

I am very close to one of their towers, achieving up to CINR:28, but my speed often is around 1 Mbps instead of the 6 Mbps I was promised when I talked to them on the phone before ordering. The rep. told me that they check the address to make sure they are not overloading the towers to ensure the speed they are promising. He also told me that I would be more likely to get higher speeds than 6 Mbps, since the modem is not capped.

All lies so far. I called their tech support and talked to a support rep. and then a supervisor (overseas), and nothing changed!

STAY AWAY FROM CLEAR WIRELESS INTERNET until they can buy more bandwidth for their towers to support the number of connections they sell at the speeds they are promising.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
vibsdj

join:1999-11-25
Marietta, GA

Clear is Unclear

Same situation here in Marietta, GA. Towers are too congested and won't be upgraded for months. They oversold their bandwidth and I rarely get over 1.5 Mbps download now as opposed to 4 Mbps a year ago. Tech support up to Level 3 no help at all.

Review by grazing See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Worked at 1st"
Bad "Intermittent service, horrible overseas tech support"
Overall "Skip it unless you have no choice"

I thought Clear would be a good solution for us, and it was for about six months. The the router kept losing and regaining the signal resulting in either no bars or four bars. We called customer support, got no real assistance. There is Clear store in Montgomery Mall near us, I went to buy a new router... the were only allowed to sell us a router if new opened a new account. The company has no customer service backbone at all.

I bought a new router from Amazon and still had the same problem. Either their transmission of of our tower is a mess or we some form of interference was introduced long after our initial install. In general, a lot of time wasted overall.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

External Attenna

I would try an external attenna if you router has a port for one. Sounds like your loosing signal and the router is bouncing from tower to tower.

»www.amazon.com/MaxWiMAX-Outdoor-···06O3MHHQ

»www.danlampie.com/?p=708

• Location: Lawrenceville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Very bad company"
Bad "The worst company"
Overall "Don't use this service. They do not care about customer service!"

I called CLEAR in March 2012 to report that my modem was not working. The
gentleman (from another country, obviously) told me there are no towers
working in the area of my office and that it would not work there. I asked
him to cancel my service and he said that he would.

That was in March of 2012. Because of serious illness, I did not check my
bill closely, and in September I realized they were still charging me for
service that has not been used since February of 2012. I called again and
was told that it would be cancelled and they would credit my account.

I called again today as I found another charge of $31+ on my account. I
asked to speak with someone in the USA. They did not transfer me to a rep
in the USA as requested.

Even when I was using the service in another city it did not work most of
the time. This is the worst service and the worst customer service that I
have ever experienced.

My advise is never subscribe to a service that mainly uses people from other
countries to provide that service. There is little integrity in the states
these days, and absolutely none in most of the countries that are doing
these jobs today. YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF!

I WOULD NEVER SUBSCRIBE TO CLEAR AGAIN!

(review was emailed from domain bellsouth.net)

Comments:

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "It's not AT&T"
Bad "High ping rates, only gets 2-3 Mps"
Overall "Counting days till I can term w/o an ETF... RUN AWAY!"

This is the second attempt at using Clear third modem the original modem was crap, the series M modem was flaky at best, very unstable. The series G modem seems stable (its on) speed is not so great though. Had to move modem to a window to get a usable connection.

Oh they REQUIRE auto billing you don't see an invoice till after the bill ya. Watch out for fees and taxes they do not disclose when they quote you a price

~~~.

I moved the first of 2012 the new address gets better than 2-3 bars now. I knew the 4th and fifth lamp worked seen it flashing when starting up or acting up. I get a solid 5 bars now depending on day of week and hour of day speed can still be poor (0.41 down 0.92 up on 1/5/2012). the best yet > 15+ down 0.92 up 1/4/2012. Oh probably very important I can literally see the tower from my balcony

~~~

Steady decline in service, Jan 2013 it got extremely poor, dial-up poor ~ over saturated towers. They lowered my bill to $25, Somewhere along the way they slipped in a change of plan lowering the promised 10 Mbps down to 6Mbps this was never mentioned. Unless and yes there are neighborhoods in large urban cities like Dallas where cable doesn't exist, unless there is no other option RUN AWAY from this it's shady sales techniques and lousy un-reliable service!

Comments:

Review by kdepasquale See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "It's an internet connection"
Bad "Horribly slow."
Overall "Not worth it unless you have no other alternatives"

Service is very slow (I usually get less than 3 mbps), the reach of the wireless router that is given is far less than advertised.

• Location: Winter Springs,Seminole,FL
Good "Prompt delivery of modem"
Bad "Slow connectivity, mindless and repetitive tests that lead to same results, no improvement."
Overall "After many tries, we decided that it was not going to get better. Only available means of tech support is via chat. Wasted time."

After too many hours of trying to get straight answers and running test after mindless test we've decided that using CLEAR was a major fail in trusting their sales pitch. Just trying to watch a youtube video was more frustrating than coming in second to Lance Armstrong.

I am committed to voice my opinion vociferously as CLEAR's strategy is just to hand you over to some impersonal techie whose main tool is insincere repetetive apologies counting on you getting frustrated and go away. Nothing doing, I want some retribution for $$$ and time wasted with these bozos.

(review was emailed from domain me.com)

Comments:

Review by jamond

• Location: Lake Oswego,Clackamas,OR
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Terrible service, unethical company."
Overall "Avoid this company"

What a mess. This company has always had poor service. When I finally
arranged for another provider I cancelled their service. I made a big
mistake when I gave this company authority to bill my credit card. I have
cancellation confirmation dated October 18, 2012 and just received a notice
that CLEAR has billed my credit card another $110.00 on January 1, 2013. My
calls to CLEAR have not gained any satisfaction. I am now trying to work
with the bank to get them to deny the charges and to stop the authorization.

(review was emailed from domain abcinc-mail.com)

Comments:
stuffbyd1959

join:2013-03-22
Brooklyn, NY

clearwireless

I sued n won a case against them and am tryin 2 collect. I paid with cash so i dont hav their banking info can u HELP, do you know what bank they use? I am willin to pay 4 this info I REFUSE 2 LET THEM GET AWAY WIT WAT THEY DID but I NEED HELP will you help me PLEASE - from 1 SCREWED OVER CLEAR CUSTOMER 2 ANOTHER