CapuNet page on DSLReports

Review by cdthompso1 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Uptime is solid"
Bad "Referral fee flop"
Overall "Wish I'd get my referral fee..."

CapuNet claims to give referral fees, but I've had 3 co-workers notify
CapuNet that I referred them, but I have seen nothing from them. While the
service is great (except problems do to Above.net, a backbone provider), the
sales promo seems to be false.

CDT

Chief Technology Officer
WeFusion.com

Comments:

Review by CybermanSpiff See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Good connection"
Bad "Loooong wait, bad communication with Covad"
Overall "Good, but was a pain gettin it installed..."

CapuNet was real impressive at first, responded fast, sounded like they knew what they were doing. Then, when they started scheduling appointments to come and install it, things started goin downhill. Appointments were made and cancelled, no real reason given (that we could understand, once they even said that we requested it changed, which I didn't). It was annoying as hell, but when it got up a few days ago, it's been awesome. Great once it got up, but a pain to get it installed, which was not our fault, apart from the fact that they had to run a new line. All in all, CapuNet is cool...

Comments:

Review by campbellm See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Good sales and account support/follow-up"
Bad "Tech Support seems to be overloaded"
Overall "A competent company with high standards"

After a horrible experience with Teliquest/Northpoint, having CapuNet/Covad as the providers has been a dream. The sales and support followup were conscientious, Covad's installers were very knowledgeable, and the tech support in getting the computer set up were competent (but had to wait a few hours for a call back - but at least they called back!). My prior experience was just the opposite on all fronts.

The reason for the long time for install was the Verizon strike and then the Verizon installers finally doing the install.

Have only been on for a few days, but am getting 511 up/107 down for 608/128 service. This seems reasonable and am happy with the speed.

It's a pleasure to have a service provider that is professional and competent.

Comments:

Review by lorettakelley See Profile

• Location: Takoma Park,Montgomery,MD
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Capunet tech support answers within 2 minutes, gave correct answer to sticky problem"
Bad "Service agreement prohibits multiple computers sharing one line"
Overall "Extremely happy so far"

CapuNet and Covad must have been very frustrated by Bell Atlantic's less than knowledgeable technicians, but I'm sure I was shielded from the worst of it--a true mark of excellent service! Bell Atlantic had to come back twice to redo their installation, then had to come back as Verizon after the strike to redo it again (reason for 90 day wait between order and installation). Finally got working, Covad showed up right as scheduled and did their install perfectly, got working. Speed has been better than expected, between 300-600. Later I had a problem with my PC because I was still trying to use a dialup account to access my work server. Even though I changed all the settings back, one application I have still stubbornly refused to recognize the DSL connection and kept looking for a dialup. CapuNet tech support answered the phone immediately and solved my somewhat unusual problem within five minutes. My one negative comment is that their contract prohibits sharing of the connection. But...how are they going to know?

Comments:

Review by Tristan_Bostone

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "Not much"
Bad "Terrible tech support, couldn't bring up link"
Overall "A complete waste of three months"

I sent the following letter last week to the VP of Capunet's tech support. My
connection is still not up and my trouble tickets have been closed. My customer
service from them has been abysmal.
-----------
I am writing to express my extreme displeasure at the cavalier way I have been
treated by your company. I had an install date of Sep 22. On that day, Covad
came
to my house and plugged in the router and brought the circuit up. My link did
not come up. On Monday, I called your company asking for more configuration
information to ensure that I wasn't doing anything wrong on my end. I plugged in
the settings, and the link did not come up. At that point I was told that Covad
would
have to come out the next day.

Covad did not come the next day, as they were never called by your company. I
called back again and again and again. Each time, I was greeted with the same
response "are you sure your link's not up? Let's do a ping." On a few occasions
I was conferenced in with Covad who explained that they thought that there was a
misconfiguration at your company's end.

I have asked many times to have this issue escalated to a manager. I have
specifically asked that of at the very least, Bob and Julian. At one point I
called back only
to hear that my trouble ticket had been closed. Today, I just heard that my
second ticket was closed.

My link is still down, in fact, it's never come up at all. I was promised that
Covad would come out and check the line, they never did. I was told twice (by
Bob and
Julian) that this would be escalated to management. This never was. I was told
that the circuit would be "rebuilt". It never was. I was told numerous times
that I would
receive callbacks, only to end up calling again the next day.

I am completely dissatisfied with your company's handling of my Internet access.
I am asking that you solve the problem, or admit that you can not solve the
problem,
and give me a full refund.

(review was emailed from domain discovery.com)

Comments:

Review by operagost See Profile

• Location: Ardmore,Montgomery,PA
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Poor latency (being resolved), poor organization in tech support"
Overall "Good deal, won't let you down"

I ordered their 608/128 RADSL service. A tech was scheduled for two weeks, but I had to postpone it because I was assigned a weekday which I would not be home. They don't let you pick the inital day! After that, I was able to pick a day myself. That's somewhat inefficient. Got sync, but no data. The COvad tech called them up, but he told me they were closed. What? In the middle of Saturday? They weren't, he just didn't listen to the phone message and leave a voice mail as instructed. That brings me to the worst thing about Capunet. Their tech support staff is fine, but small. If they're busy, you get voice mail... no option to hold. The problem was some piece of hardware called a Redback. The service is rate adaptive DSL, so I had to get the Speedstream modem. The $79 rate includes four IPs. The reliability is excellent. I have less than 1% dropped packets, where Bell Atlantic.net had as much as 4%! However, the latency is poor. I get 100ms pings just to my router. This is something they are rectifying with individual customers. After some reconfiguration, my latency should be cut in half.

member for 15.4 years, 385 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Service, Support"
Bad "Prices. Was told one thing and ended up ending up with something else."
Overall "A good company. If they could remember what they tell their customers, it would be better."

Took 8 months to find an ungrounded tip on the D-SLAM that downed my
circuity for short periods througout the day.

Was told I would be able to pay the lowest advertised price for my service
by a member in upper management. What I was not told was that I had to sign
up for another year with CapuNet to enjoy that price. Bottom Line: Customer
Loyalty does not pay off, unless you commit your loyalty for another year.

Other than this pricing issue, everything has been outstanding. 100%.

Dan Zubairi
dan@us.net

(review was emailed from domain us.net)

Comments:

Review by TimmyB9 See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Excellent performance...and a great ISP"
Bad "Tech support could use a little booster shot"
Overall "A good over all ISP....and an excellent DSL provider"

CapuNet has been wonderful to deal with. They are a top rate ISP. Unfortunatly, I got caught in the middle of the Bell Atlanic/Verizon strike switching from Bell Atlantic Infospeed DSL to Capunet (Covad Provided) DSL. Verizon disconnected my DSL service during the strike, even though they told me they wouldn't. It was the usual expected behavior since my experience with Verizon as a DSL provider was horrible, leading to my switching providers. CapuNet was nice enough to give me a dial-up and e-mail account until my DSL installation was completed. They also kept me well informed of the strike situation and called me as soon as they had a wiring install date from Verizon. The Covad Technician showed up on time as scheduled and all was successful.

With Verizon DSL, the best speed I ever reached on MSN's speed test page was about 350K download with a 640k/90k DSL line. The tests today with CapuNet's 640K/128K line showed well over 500K download. I also tested the connection with streaming video using Quicktime, RealPlayer and Microsoft Media Player 7. The video was crystal clear and excellent at the high bandwidth setting.

I only gave them a 3 on Tech Support because it's difficult to get a person on the phone when you call. You usually have to leave a message...however, they have always been prompt to return the call and were helpful in their response.

What an improvement over Verizon. Here's to CapuNet. I highly recommend their service.

Comments:

Review by klucas See Profile

• Location: Manassas,Manassas City,VA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Quick, good communication"
Overall "Perfect so far"

Been on-line for a couple of months now. Perfect service to date. No drops. (pings to default gateway are ~65ms)
Running 4 computers thru a Linksys router for a home office, so we are on 10-12 hours a day.
Had a mistake on the first monthly bill, called Capunet, and it was credited back within two days.
This is the way it is supposed to work....

Two and a half weeks from order to completed install. Great communication along the way.
Tech support was very helpful.

Comments:

Review by Bogden See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Henrico,VA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Solid, easy installation, always works."
Overall "A little pricey, but solid. After Bell Atlantic Infospeed, this is almost Heaven"

Ordered Capunet in late June, 2000. Activated July 17, 2000. Contract is $79 per month, 1500/384 (DSLReports speed test of 9-10-00 said 1301/316 kbps), one static IP, one e-mail address, 12 month contract, 1 month free, $99 installation after rebates.

Set up is SpeedStream 5260 external modem feeding a Linksys BEFSR41 router providing access for four Windows 98 SE machines and an iMac running OS 8.6.

Installation was nice. I switched from Bell Atlantic Infospeed, which had installed a 'home run line from the NID to the external Westell modem. After almost six months of Hell Atlantic, I decided to switch instead of fight.

I made a few telephone calls to Capunet headquarters in Rockville MD, traded a few e-mails, signed the contract and sent it in.

I have two telephone lines but only a two pair cable to the NID. Bell Atlantic Infospeed line shared, but Covad could not at the time of installation so Bell Atlantic had to run a separate drop from the pedestal to my NID for Covads connection. Bell did a nice job of that at no expense to me.

Covad arrived on the appointed date and time, the technician spent about 30 minutes disconnecting Bell Atlantics wire (I did not cancel Bell Atlantic DSL until after Capunet was operational), connecting the Covad line to the 'home run cable Bell had installed inside my house, achieved synch with the modem, checked routing with his laptop, left me with DNS and Domain information, and he left.

I reconfigured the Linksys in about five minutes and spent another five minutes on each of the computers on the LAN, and was off and running.

After three days of service, I lost routing. I called Capunet Technical Support, they set up a conference call with Covad, they had me run a tracert, they ran a tracert, told me they had a problem with a router in Vienna VA. It was up and running the next day and has been solid 24/7 since then with no issues.

Bell Atlantic used to go out about every two weeks. Very nerve wracking. Every sign on was a new adventure.

After a couple of months of Capunet, this is what broadband should be. I don't even think about it anymore. We just turn the computers on and everything works all of the time.

Bottom line: A little pricey, but solid. After Bell Atlantic Infospeed, this is almost Heaven.

Update as of 01/01/2001.
Have not had a single outage or problem since the service started. With all of the ISP's going belly up, maybe it isn't so pricey after all. I am completed satisfied with my price/value.

member for 14.4 years, 5158 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago