CapuNet page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by reveye1 See Profile

• Location: Crofton,Anne Arundel,MD

Ordered DSL from Capunet in March. Service has been great but, the rebate from Flowpoint has yet to come through. Good thing I'm not holding my breath for that money. Anyone else with rebate issues???

• Location: Montgomery Village,Montgomery,MD
Good "Installer knew his stuff, quick response"
Bad "Bell Atlantic - nuff said"
Overall "Great to work with. Tech support very helpful."

I recently had CapuNet install DSL via Covad, and I must say after reading some of the horror stories on DSLreports, I was a little tentative. Lo and behold, my installation went smooth as silk, and in a very timely manner.

I submitted my application via fax to CapuNet, and received a confirmation of receipt the next day, telling me they would contact me with an appointment date shortly. A few days later, they sent me an email stating that Bell Atlantic would be coming by the following Thursday. The only problem - the best window they could give me was between 8am and 5pm, and, per Bell Atlantic's instructions, I had to be home! I had to take the day off work, and they finally showed up at 3:45, only to discover that since the box was outside they didn't have to come in the house and I didn't have to be home at all!!!

That same day, CapuNet sent me another email to tell me Covad would be by the following Wednesday between 8am and noon. That's a better window. The guy called me at 10 to let me know he was on his way. He also suggested I check my email to see if CapuNet had sent me my IP address. I checked, and there it was. When he got here, he connected the modem, hooked up the wires outside, and

voila! A signal. I went straight to DSLreports to use the speed test tool. I paid for 1.5MB/384kB, and I'm averaging (after several tests at different times of the day) 846kB/302kB. I'll call them to see why it isn't over 1MB, but overall I'm quite happy. I downloaded a 3.5MB MP3 file in under 2 minutes.

One nice feature CapuNet offers is if you pay for a full year in advance, you get 1 month free. Plus they told me they'd follow up after about a week to see if I'm happy, and won't charge me for anything until I say I am! Now that's customer service! Overall, at least so far, I highly recommend CapuNet.

(review was emailed from domain capu.net)

Comments:

Review by jbender See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Fast and so far reliable service, Sales Rep committed to satisfaction"
Bad "Covad's labor pool. . ."
Overall "Tough, frustrating install, but CapuNet is probably still the best option out there"

This is an update of an earlier post. I can't really say anything better about the installation process. Without going into more detail than I did in the earlier post, I'll just say that, based on my experience, and on reviews here, it seems that Covad's only requirement for installation technicians is a pulse.

That said, my DSL service has run for the past few days without downtime, and I've been getting download speeds of 465 to 550 kbs (average around 505 to 510).

Also, it turns out that there are some good folks at Capunet. In particular, Chris Holaday, their sales manager, is a great guy. Things got better as soon as he got involved with my case. He gave me his cell phone number right off the bat. He was always available and worked hard to make things right.

Would I do it over again w. Capunet? I think yes. Based on the reviews on this site, horror stories involving other companies often don't ever get resolved (except by cancellation). Capunet does seem to be going through a rough patch, but at least -- and this is no small thing in this market -- they try to put things right quickly. And, of course, there is that (so far) reliable and speedy service once things are up.

I'll post again after I have the service for awhile.

Comments:

Review by ldd See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Bad "Couldn't find their own asses with both hands."
Overall "Their process is deficient."

I've ordered service about a month ago now and it still isn't installed. Bell Atlantic took two weeks before coming. Nobody told me when they were coming but fortunately, I was home when they came. (This has been a bad experience in itself. This is Bell Atlantic's fault though, not CapuNet's. They almost left me without phone service. The tech told me all was setup and he was leaving. Just to make sure I picked up the phone and there was no dial tone. Fortunately, I was able to get him before he drove away.)

Then Covad came but again I was not warned of their coming and I wasn't home. After the Bell Atlantic episode I had complained but I guess my complaint never went anywhere since they didn't fix their process between the 2 appointments. After the missed appointment with Covad, I called and the representative told me they had a typo in my email address and that was the reason I didn't get the notices. This is absolutely ludicrous. First of all, I've communicated by email with 2 representatives there (and received mail from them) so they had my correct email address. Secondly, undeliverable mail generates bounces but I guess nobody over there ever does anything about bounces. Thirdly, when I complained about not getting a notice for Bell's visit, somebody should have realized that maybe there was a problem with the delivery of notices.

There is simply no good excuse for CapuNet's behavior. I'll give an update when the service is installed.

Louis

PS: I rated tech support low even though I don't have the service yet because their inability of dealing with email addresses implies that they are not very technically competent. I can think of half a dozen ways to deal with that issue.

• Location: Severn,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "none"
Bad "Poor coordination between Capunet/Covad/Bell Atlantic. Didn't return my calls"
Overall "This has been a ugly experience, Excessively long installation time"

I ordered my DSL line from Capunet almost three months ago. It has been a
miserable experience. Bell Atlantic has been here to my house 6 times. Covad
has been here twice and it is still not working. There appears to be a lack
of communication between all the parties. Bell Atlantic has been here more
than once to complete the same task. Tasks that have already been done. I've
emailed Capunet several times trying to get to take the next course of
action. These emails have clearly defined the status of the installation yet
service men appear to complete the same task more than once. I've left voice
mail for the President and Vice-President at Capunet. Neither
called me back. This has been a horrendous experience. The cable modem
people couldn't be as bad at this as Covad/Capunet and Bell Atlantic are.

(review was emailed from domain erols.com)

Comments:

Review by jbender See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "Satisfaction guarantee"
Bad "Installation a horror show so far"
Overall "Might want to view some prior reviews with skepticism"

I relied on reviews at DSL Reports to select CapuNet as my DSL provider. I now question the validity of some of those reviews.

So far, installation coordination has been nearly non-existent. Bell Atlantic came without warning (happily, we were home); Covad came today (Monday) after leaving me a voicemail Friday night astheir only warning; I had my IP ready for them only because I placed an "emergency" call to Covad tech support on Saturday; the Covad tech came at 1 pm, even though I was told he would be here between 8 am and 12 pm; he brought the wrong modem; modem aside, he did not complete my installation; he left me without phone service on my second floor, so I cannot even dialup from my desktop (I'm writing this from a laptop hooked up in my kitchen); I've missed a day of work for nothing; andI will have to miss more just to get my phone service back.

The tech told me that my inside wiring is to blame, and that the wire pair not dedicated to the phone line does not work. I would need "extensive rewiring" (at extra cost), he said. He spent quite a bit of time trying to persuade me to use a particular wiring contractor, and told me to be sure to tell them that he referred me (use his full name, he said).

After he left, I found that my phone connection was dead. On a hunch, I plugged the DSL modem into what was supposed to be my phone wire. VOILA! The DSL LED on the modem glowed a steady green. The tech disconnected my phone wire, and hooked up DSL to it. Not that I can take advantage of that, of course, since the modem is incompatible with my computer.

I contacted Capunet, and, after several unfulfilled promises of a call back, managed to speak to a woman named Pauline who was identified as a supervisor. After consulting with Covad, she decided that my lack of phone service upstairs was not a sufficient emergency to badger Covad into sending someone back the same day. She did muster some indignation at Covad, to be sure, but that and $1.10 will get me a short ride on Metro.

Despite much trying, I could not get Pauline to understand that if my phone line does not work as a phone line, but does work as a DSL line, the Covad tech must have crossed the lines. She finally said something like "I want to believe my customers, but the Covad tech says something different, and I just don't have the technical knowledge to tell. . ." I asked if she could conference in one of her tech people to help her understand. She said that probably would not help -- though she would be happy to transfer me to tech support. .

I also asked her why the tech brought a modem that required an ethernet connection, when I specifically requested a modem that would plug into my computer's USB port. She replied that installations go smoother with this particular modem. "We do have the USB modems," she said, "and I can have them bring you one." "You might also consider just getting an ethernet card," she continued. Draw your own conclusions.

In fairness to Pauline,I will say that she was unfailingly, even as I grew apoplectic. Politeness is important, I don't mean to minimize its importance, but re politeness without getting anything done, see my comment about indignation, above.

I will post a followup after the other shoe drops.

Comments:

Review by sstudham See Profile

• Location: Bowie,Prince Georges,MD
Good "They rode Bell Atlantic"
Bad "Tech Support is never in and it is often down"
Overall "Good for home use, BAD for buisness"

I've been an IT professional for about 8 years now. I understand how difficult an industry this is, so I'm normally willing to cut some slack. About a year ago I started my own consulting company. I have made the mistake of choosing CapuNet for my DSL service. Since my business relies on my ability to connect with my clients, I purchased a business account with static IP's. Regretfully over the past month CapuNet has been down about 3 times. I spent the last 1/2 hour dialing the support number and their PBX was so overloaded that it would give me a busy signal when I would hit the tech support option. When I finally did get through it was just an answering service.

So I'm typing this only after rerouting my entire business to go over a modem to a different ISP.

The service is good if you don't require 24x7 support or >99% uptime. They did a wonderful job with the install and we have had no problem with the equipment. But the support availability is really bad.

Scott Studham

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Good "competent, realistic, patient staff"
Bad "have to work with Bell Atlantic"
Overall "a really good deal"

"An Early Adopter"--Washington, DC

CapuNet was my second try at obtaining residential DSL service in the
District of Columbia--and it turned out great after about six weeks of
hassle with Bell Atlantic. Apparently, the BA Central Office and the guys
in the field have no relationship whatsoever, so a lot of baseless claims
are made, with acompanying delay.

I first tried InternetConnect as a provider (because they advertise
heavily). They are a west coast firm, had no followup, and charged my credit
card even before Bell Atlantic established "the loop" -- the copper from the
Central Office to my house. Getting a refund worked, but only after a
struggle. Then I read DSL reports (due to a Washington Post article),and
that's when I went local with CapuNet (Rockville, MD).

CapuNet and Covad worked seamlessly together in wiring my premises and
leaving the right gear (I have a Macintosh with built-in ethernet, and it
worked perfectly the first time I tried). I did not get billed early, even
though the process stretched out for weeks.

Bell Atlantic kept claiming I had a good loop test when there was no
physical connection and then, after a visit by a very competent linesman who
installed a new line, claimed that they had to come out and make the
connection. Duh!! The Central Office kept talking about the need for a
process that could not occur for six days (who knows why it was always six
days), and then contacted me about sending out a lineman AFTER the
connection was actually functioning.

Anyhow, the connection speed is fabulous. I have the $49 per month package,
and it feels faster than the T3 I have at work. I have little experience
over time, so things could go south but, so far, it is all that is promised
and more. I do not know if a a website can be served, but it has plenty of
bandwidth to to it (I just got nothing to serve). I'll wager this is going to be a lot of fun.

(review was emailed from domain ost.dot.gov)

Comments:

Review by omyde See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Tech support, reliable line, good speed"
Bad "Covad rescheduling appointment"
Overall "Great service!"

I recently had DSL installed in my apartment and
contrary to some of the reports I have read,it was a
pleasant experience.
The whole process from prequalification to install
took 3 weeks and that includes an extra week due to
Covad rescheduling the install date.
The line has been reliable so far and my download speed is good(80%)
CapuNet's technical support and customer care have been outstanding in terms of updates and assistance. I have nothing but good things to say about CapuNet and DSL

Comments:

Review by bsimon4 See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD

I have had a remarkably smooth experience with CapuNet. I choose them because they were local in MD. It took less than 3 weeks from order to install. Even BA came on schedule and tagged the line. The COVAD installer was pleasant and knew his job. Tech support e-mailed me my IP# etc 2 days in advance of installation. The 5260 modem synched immediately and I have been up for almost a week without problems. The 608/128 service gives me 480-500/ 85-105 on the DSL reports speed test. (My CO distance was around 9580 by DSL reports but by BA loop test it turned out to be 12500)

So far so good! When I get rid of my modem phone line and AOL the price increase won't be noticeable!

member for 14.6 years, 148 visits, last login: 5.6 years ago