TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by kimks3 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Pre-sales info is decent, depending on the rep you speak with"
Bad "Anything and everything is Rogers' fault."
Overall "My 25/2 mbps plan has been 0/0 mbps for the past week"

Warning: Incoming wall of text:

I've lurked on DSLR for the past several months in search of an ISP to replace Bell, who are still offering a paltry 6Mbit connection in my neighborhood, with caps that are nothing short of pathetic. Since I don't have a landline, cable is what I chose to go with, and Teksavvy's favorable reviews made me sign up with them some 2+ weeks ago.

My install date was set for today, December 1st, and I contacted Bell to terminate my DSL connection on this date, but only after checking and re-checking with Teksavvy to ensure that: (a) the connection will be ready for use upon completion of installation, and (b) the technician would be able to install a new coax jack in the house, as the only one we have is hooked up to a satellite dish. Both the TV provider and TSI reps recommended that a splitter/joiner not be used.

(By the way, I did not have to give Bell 30 day notice as there is an upcoming price increase and I was able to cancel the service on a date of my choosing, per their terms of service, since I did not agree with their changes)

Anyway, the Rogers tech arrived at 2:30pm, only calling me once he was right outside my house. No big deal; he entered and after taking one look at where I had planned to connect the modem, he told me that it wouldn't be possible because there was only one coax jack, and he did not have to (read: did not want to) do any drilling/fishing of wires, saying it was "not on the work order".

He claims that since I was not a Rogers customer and with a reseller, I would have to pay $125(!!) if I wanted him to install a new jack in the wall. Not only was he extremely rude, but he also had the audacity to tell me I would be better off using Bell, saying that the best he could do is connect the modem in my basement. I obviously declined as all my other devices requiring hardwire Ethernet connections are on the ground and upper floors.

He left after all of five minutes, but did say he would be in the area and told me to call if I worked something out with Teksavvy or I chose to pay the $125.

I first called my television provider, who said that they would send out a tech first thing tomorrow (Dec 2nd) to install a separate jack for their dish at no charge (excellent support considering this provider is "Bhell"). They said I was free to have Teksavvy rewire my current jack with their network, which shouldn't be hard since I had Rogers cable TV up until just 2 months ago, and all the wiring is still in my basement.

I called the technician and he said he would revisit to hook up the current jack for use with TSI. He mentioned something about checking his work order, then hung up as I asked what time he will arrive by. That was the last I heard from this technician and he never did return. All calls since have gone to voicemail.

I contacted Teksavvy, and was told that the technician should have installed a new connector, and the fact that they did not was "unfortunate". Rogers support of course wasn't willing to help since I was not their customer.

Teksavvy tells me that they are not permitted to contact the technician or even speak to anyone at dispatch. I was offered a new install date on the 4th which was the earliest day possible. Every time I had a problem with Bell, they would send someone out the next day, even on Sundays.

The fact that I will have no internet for 4 days was, again, "unfortunate". I spoke with a supervisor who offered me a whole ten dollars for the inconvenience. Refund on the $65 installation fee? Sorry, not available. TSI was kind enough to let me know that the second technician will be sent at no charge. Wonderful.

I can't wait to get my cellular bill after 4 days of tethering by a household of 5, not to mention I will have to take a day off to sit around at home for another tech on the 4th, who might maybe sorta do the job this time, if they feel like it. If they don't, I guess I'll be in the dark for another few days and get ten bucks off my bill to make up for it.

Since I don't trust Teksavvy telling me that the new technician (who may very well be the same guy from today) will install the jack and run a new wire, I will have "Bhell" come tomorrow to run a new line for their dish. Bell might be expensive, but their support is top notch and I can often get most problems taken care of in 15 minutes using their live chat. Teksavvy's hold times are usually longer than this, and telephone is the only method of real time support.

While it may have been the Rogers technician that caused this problem, I was still disappointed by the complete lack of communication and control Teksavvy had (can't even talk with the person installing your services for your customer?!), and the laughable "compensation" offered for what is a major waste of time and money for me.

I paid Teksavvy for Teksavvy Internet; to me, the "middleman" Rogers is more or less irrelevant. If they cause problems, it still = a poor experience with TSI.

I almost never write reviews, but my tethered connection is so slow, I don't have much else to do but try to share my experience...

The current ratings reflect the service (or lack thereof) I received as of Dec 1. I will change them to reflect any updates, and will hopefully improve. I was so excited to finally get a connection that isn't slower than what most third world countries have...

---

TL;DR: Technician didn't do what they were supposed to, waited whole day to find out install will have to be redone 4 days later. 4 days of no internet. Given 10 bucks for "unfortunate" situation. Rogers is evil, everything is their fault.

************

Dec 2 Update: Bell came by and installed a new direct coax line to the satellite dish in 10 minutes. The existing jack is *finally* ready to be used with TSI.

Install date however has been pushed back another day because I called to inquire about checking any earlier timeframes, even early mornings/late evenings--this meant I had to "forefeit" the Dec 4th date, and as luck would have it, the new date is now Dec 5th between 8 to 11. The joys of booking dates & times indirectly...

*******************

Sept 2013 update: The sheer number of long widespread downtime and poor service make it impossible for me to leave even a marginal rating.

After 2 days of downtime, I called earlier this morning, waited no less than 49 minutes before talking to a human, to be told they can credit me around a dollar per day, starting today, because that's when I called to report that the service wasn't working.

Comments:

sad eh

@videotron.ca

No refund again.

So after all that, did you get your refund? Or did teksavvy say too bad for you once again? Not giving people proper service or giving people their money back is a very obvious trend and game that we have been seeing for a good year.

Have you considered doing a charge-back with your credit card company to get your money back? Or filing a complaint with the CCTS?

You might want to consider both these avenues to get your money back, and don't settle for anything less than a full refund. How much time & money have you wasted so far on this and getting nothing but a big mobile bill?

No service and no refund is a trend with this company if you take the time to review it.
kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON

Re: No refund again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have not looked into reversing my payment or otherwise cancelling service (yet), because I still need internet, and setting up with Start/distributel/etc would take even longer. I invested too much time and money into TSI to ditch them now, and I am sure they are happy to hear that...

If I am unhappy with the connection, or if there are any further problems, I am ready to jump ship even if it means I have to eat the $100+ I paid already.

sad eh

@videotron.ca

Re: No refund again.

I can see how you just want it to work and just not bother with the hassles. But no one will do anything about it and this situation unless you do go through the hassle, sad to say.

But, in reference to your other post down below, +1 to you for standing your ground kimks3.

You can see how these situations end up by checking this, »Teksavvy sucks

and this »No Show Techs. Share your Experience

Personally, i'm not one to nickel and dime some company for compensation. But we have all had this happen to us time and time again. No end in sight. And the industry (ie Teksavvy) just doesn't care enough about you to bother bringing the issues to the CRTC, yet the owner will go ape sh*t to make sure they get your money and not refund it, as seen in the first link provided.

Something doesn't smell right in stinkville. And yes, they have a mechanism for charge-backs already in place but a few years ago they stated the cost to them in man-power outweighed them doing charge-backs. Both Teksavvy (Rocky when he was CEO) and Acanac stated this. But The current CEO, Marc, seems to state now that this isn't so. But I don't believe it. It's up to them to get it back. You already lost a day of work and will now lose another day of work. But don't dare ask for a refund.. OMG... those are fighting words to teksavvy and they will blacklist you (as seen in the first link provided).

That is what's sad about all this.

So +1 to you, but I say make it a hassle. Maybe after enough people b*tch and moan and demand their money back will the industry (ie teksavvy) do something about it. Right now they are not and just trying to simply refuse refunds. It really isn't right.

BTW, feel free to add your experience to the topic we have going (2nd link).

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I can definitely understand your perspective in the matter and why you're frustrated. The fact that you have satallite TV should have been known, as it does make a difference in installation requirements. I have already sent this information off to our Quality Assurance department to ensure everyone is informed of this. There are many benefits to being with a third party provider like us, bigger bandwidth, lower price, no contract, no cancellation fees, no throttling, etc. However, because we do not own the infrastructure that the installations need to be performed on, our install times are not as convenient as the owner of the infrastructure. There is little we can do about this. It is not that we are trying to inconvenience you further, this is just the soonest we could have done this.

Our communication with Rogers is not ideal, and we do not have contact with the technicians that perform the installs. We do not try and blame Rogers as you are completely correct: if they cause problems= still a poor experience with us. We just try to be completely transparent in the matter to try and give you an exact idea of what is going on. I apologize if you feel the credit is laughable, however, something that needs to be understood is that we charged a very large portion of what we charge you for the monthly service. That $65 is charged by Rogers to us in full for the activation, which is why we were unable to engulf it. We cannot credit like the incumbents as we do not charge the extra amounts to give larger credits. Again, I'm not trying to provide an excuse but transparency for you to understand why certain actions were taken. I hope this situation resolves for you, and I'd love to have a look into your account. So please feel free to message us in the direct forum in order to have a look over your account to ensure all the proper steps were taken.
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."
kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON

Re: Response.

I appreciate the somewhat generic reply, but TSI need not "own" the infrastructure or technicians to ensure that its customer doesn't have to wait around for days for an installation which should have taken no more than an hour.

I don't care whether the $65 goes directly to Rogers or to Teksavvy's CEO's toaster replacement fund. I paid TSI to install and activate my service; whether or not Rogers is contracted to do this doesn't concern me.
Any sensible person would tell me to demand at least a portion of this be returned, if the technician not only does nothing but come and waste my time, but cause to live without internet access--which the UN deems a basic human right--for days.

Since it is Rogers that messed this up, it boggles my mind why TSI does not seek compensation from them.
If I pay the post office to ship merchandise to a customer, and the postal service messes up and loses the item, it would be ridiculous for me to refuse to refund the buyer "because I used their money for postage and the cost of the merchandise".
I would immediately refund the buyer and seek compensation from the post, just as TSI should from Rogers.

I'm not interested in posting in the direct forum, which just seems like a way to reduce the likelihood of prospective customers from seeing issues like this. You can find my account with the postal code L4E3V8.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Info

Hi kimks3,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience, Phil, our escalations manager and I have been talking about your case and we would like to do a deeper dive with Rogers.

Could you please PM me your account details so I can reach out to Rogers about your situation.

Also, please keep me posted on how the visit goes today.

Once I have more info, I will reach out to you with my findings.

Thanks,

Andre
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

huakimhoaya

@mnsi.net

Tech support

When you need tech support with Teksavvy is very bad. I made to many call only machine talking and took too long waiting on line. Not like Teksavvy 5 years ago. If the tech support like that how can we solve the problem

Review by kisanis See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Great speed and bandwidth once set up"
Bad "Terrible/Nonexistent customer service. Terrible wait times. Borderline bait and switch"
Overall "I seriously didn't believe someone could be as terrible as bell/rogers for customer service. I was wrong"

I have previously been with rogers, bell, and primus for my internet. I know how the system works, I get the last mile thing. I get they go through bell/rogers for the setup. That said, never again teksavvy. Never.

TLDR; They sold us a modem that became incompatible with our service 1 month after signing up, then refused to do anything about it, leaving us with either buy a new 100$ modem, or drop to 1/3 the speed.

What happened: My girlfriend and I signed up for Cable 18 express in April/May 2013. The cost was 40/month +75$ to buy the modem and 10$ to ship it to us. We were recommended to purchase an RCA DCM425 modem. Rogers came and hooked up. All was well.

Then 5 months later we decided to move apartments.

We called TSI to ask how their process works. Then it all fell apart. wait times on the phone for support were taking 15mins-30mins. Finally my we hung up and called the new customer line, and got through right away. (surprise surprise). We were told that our cable 18 package is no longer offered, and we'd have to upgrade to cable 25, no cost difference, faster speeds, same bandwidth. Seemed ok - lets do that.

But wait, we'd also have to buy a new modem - or else we'd drop to the cable6 package. Pay 100$ for a new modem (plus a 65$ activation again, for moving) or keep our modem but downgrade to 1/3 the speed. We couldn't transfer our existing cable 18 service. They sold us a modem that they essentially made obsolete with our current level of service a month later.

After some research, i learned about DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 and how badly their sales rep screwed us over. TSI cancelled the cable 18 package one month after we signed up for it - replaced it with a DOCSIS 3.0 only cable25 package; but told us when we signed up that we wouldn't need 'the more expensive' modem, and that TSI 'recommends' the DCM425.

Just some background. DOCSIS 3.0 was released on 2006, rogers began switching their network to be DOCSIS 3.0 only in 2011 and teksavvy announced their DOCSIS 3.0 based speed packages in March of 2013, 2 months before we signed up.

"We didn't know" was the answer we got when we asked what the hell was going on. Thats either a lie, or gross incompetence.

"Can we return and swap the modem for a new one then?" I was told yes, but no one gave us a cost. Just that it was possible. I asked how much we will get back, and didn't get an answer. The only firm 'discount' available was a 20$ credit.

So to keep essentially the same service, and to move my internet a 5 minute drive south, the cost would go from 165 to 145.
because 1 month in, the hardware they sold me was obsolete with the level of service we paid for - and they just refused to do anything about it.

We've cancelled. As I said to them on twitter, it appears TSI has just run out of expletives to give.
(They then wanted me to send them my account info via twitter, to look into the situation - a laughably unprofessional, if not moronic move).

No one seemed to give a damn until we hit public forums. No one to pick up the phone, but twitter and these forums get quick replies. They claimed they didn't know about the service changes they announced (in a hidden away Press release) 2 months before our service started. and their salesperson told us to buy a modem, that became essentially useless with their new services within a month of ownership.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Kisanis,

Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had an issue with your move order. In regards to the modems we can use for which packages this actually was introduced to us from our vendor. We unfortunately don’t have a say in which modems can be used for which speed tiers. Our vendor simply will not provision a docsis 2.0 modem on anything other than the 6 mbps connection anymore. This wouldn’t have been something that was informed to you when you signed up as at that time we were still able to use the Docsis 2.0 modems on higher speed tiers other than the 6 mbps connection. Once all of our areas where upgraded and new packages offered our vendor changed what modems they will provision on their infrastructure. We are aware that the need to purchase a new modem is a hassle and we do offer a discount off of a new modem if needed and you also have the option to purchase your own modem. You don’t have to purchase one from TekSavvy.

In regards to our online team, we are the team that watch all online communications for TekSavvy. Since we watch Twitter we were aware of this issue with your account; as you were speaking to one of my team members regarding this. I apologize you didn’t like our responses and I also apologize you didn’t want to give any account information through Twitter, without any account information we wouldn’t know who you were to help you. To be honest no matter if you call us directly or speak to us online, we will ask for your account information and verify you prior to assisting you. This is for the protection of our account holder’s information. As you go through all the online forums remember you’re speaking to the same ten agents; and yes we respond very quickly as we watch our forums every day.

We also understand there is a wait on the phones and that is why our online team has quite the online presence; we can be reached through Twitter, Facebook, TekSavvy Forum, DSLr Direct, and TekSavvy Chat. We have ensured there are many ways to reach us while as our phone lines are a little busy currently.

I do regret that you have currently cancelled, however in the future if you have any questions please contact us through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by martin123 See Profile

Good " ..."
Bad "Extremely long waiting times for support, Support team makes lost of mistakes."
Overall "DO NOT CHOOSE TEKSAVVY YOUR TIME IS WORTH MORE THAN THE SAVINGS!"

I decided to switch to teksavvy but was forced to cancel after 1.5 hours on calls with the customer service people due to mistakes they made.
first the open box modem I ordered and paid for was not a available so after missing their call i called back and it took 30 min on hold then 45 minutes to figure out how to add the new order without being charged for both modems.
Then of course the agent messed up and I was billed the full amount for the new modem. called back and after 30 min on hold I decided it was not worth the moderate savings so I opted to cancel my service.

Now without even receiving the modem I am forced to pay $20 for the shipping $10 each way, note i have not received the modem yet and will be refusing the delivery when it arrives so I am pretty sure the return shipping is not charged.

In addition I have to pay a $25 restocking fee. $25?!?!? for what it was never opened are they building a new shelf for it??

TOTAL BS

Trust me your time and frustration is the price you pay to go with Teksavvy

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hi Martin123,

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. I would like to look into your account to see where our mistakes were. We can ensure that they are addressed and coached out to the appropriate agent(s).

I'd also like to look into the fees charged to return the modem. I believe you are accurate, I still would like to confirm but when refusing the package it should not be charged.

Could you please PM me TSI Jon See Profile your account information?

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager

Review by camelot See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Used to be."
Bad "Pretty much everything about their process."
Overall "Find someone else."

·Start Communicat..
I was a satisfied customer- up until the last month. Oh how quickly you lose customers.

I had decided that I can no longer rely on a service with multiple daily disconnects, and the subsequent hour-long wait to speak with someone.

I had called on September 9th, to schedule a disconnection day for 30 days out (end of my billing cycle)- for October 10th.

Come September 19th, I have no service. After waiting on hold yet again, the CSR tells me that I've been disconnected... 3 WEEKS EARLY. I asked if it was Rogers or TSI's fault, and they said without a doubt- TSI's fault. They improperly handled the disconnection order to Rogers.

I have no service at all. No phone, and it's awfully embarrassing to use the public library or coffee shop wifi to work.

I called Start, and the earliest they can do a "transfer of service" is October 2nd. Or the other option would be to setup as a NEW customer in 5 days....with a $50 connection charge. Transfers from existing are free. TSI offered to set me up as a new customer too, however they wouldn't be able to do it until mid-October...?????

This was supposed to be a same-day disconnect/reconnect and no additional costs incurred. A minute to swap the modem. Instead, I'm getting boned for the $50 connection fee because I simply cannot wait another 2 weeks for a transfer. No compensation other than waiving the "reconnect" if I sign back up with TSI. Really? So, come back to the same company after more than a month of being offline because of a mistake YOU made??

TSI, get your shit in shape. The boat won't float much longer if you keep making basic mistakes. I was an avid TSI supporter- even after my decision to leave. However this is a rotten way to end things. How hard is it to schedule a disconnect???

I called Start. How nice it is to speak to someone on the 3rd ring.

member for 6.3 years, 1538 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hi Camelot,

I am very sorry to read the end of our business relationship ended on a bad note. I was able to locate your account and yes, it definitely was our fault on this one. The manager of the agent that created this problem has been notified to ensure proper coaching will be performed.

I sincerely apologize for what happened, delays have been impacting us very hard during the busy back to school season which has been hurting wait times. It’s been discussed in in Marc’s blog here -> »blogs.teksavvy.com/?p=2533

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

said by TSI Jon:

I sincerely apologize for what happened

Whatever. That's all I've been getting aside from one offer to get me back up and running by mid-October (possibly/maybe) and waiving the connection fee. Gee. What a deal.

I'll be advising other potential customers to steer clear of TSI.

Review by mel_vin See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "rates and not one of the big boys"
Bad "reliability, access to support, long phone time waits for help"
Overall "forced to switch - need reliable internet for my work!"

I was super excited about getting TekSavvy when we moved. Had heard great things about them from friends a few years ago.

Installation went fine and on install date. got the cable internet.

All good until I arrived home one evening after work and internet was down. A phone call revealed little other than outages nearby but none specifically for my location. Waited on phone to speak with someone but after 20 minutes had to hang up -- spoke with no one, just listened to bad music and occasional 'helpful hints'.

Phoned twice more that evening. Unplugged modem, cable, re-plugged them, nothing.

Next morning tried again -- nothing. Called, long wait, had to hang up.

Went to public internet place to see if service problems in my area - nothing noted.

home again, called again. Waited 35 minutes to finally reach a person.

Ran through diagnostic tests -- they said it was the cable carrier and the cable carrier would be out sometime next week.

I work from home and need reliable internet access, so asked to be transferred to cancellations. too bad. poor customer service wait times coupled with unreliable service -- TekSavvy needs to up their game with the big boys and complain + pull rank with CRTC to level this playing field!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Mel-Vin,

Thank you for the review. I apologize for the wait times on the phones. We are aware there are long wait times on our phone lines and have ensured there are many ways to contact us. TekSavvy can be reached through Twitter, Facebook, TekSavvy Forum, DSLr Direct, and TekSavvy Chat. Currently with the wait times the best way to contact us is through our DSLr Direct forum »TekSavvy Direct we watch it every day and answer quite quickly.

I regret to see you have cancelled due to phone wait times, perhaps in the future we will see you back with TekSavvy. If you have any other questions please message us through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI-Ashleigh

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Giving TSI The Business

Another person using residential internet for business purposes

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

Re: Giving TSI The Business

you can't actually get business internet at a residential address usually. i suppose you feel the quality of service he received was acceptable even if he didn't work from home regardless of who is to blame?

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: Giving TSI The Business

said by jmck:

He is never the less using residential internet for business purposes . And No i don't feel the quality was acceptable regardless .....

Review by Taraban See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "A high usage limit."
Bad "Incompetent technical support. Overpriced."
Overall "Not recommended. Look for a professional, customer friendly ISP."

When problems with internet connections have happening, I called Teksavvy support. A technician says my modem is outdated and I need a new one. Immediately he start pushing me to buy a modem from Teksavvy. I do not like models and prices from Teksavvy. Especially, I do not like aggressive pushing. So, I purchased two new modems Motorola SB6121 (I have two accounts).

I called Teksavvy support on August 8 to submit info to provision my new modems. That when torturing starts. A technician call me every day to inform that they are good but Rogers gives all problems. Sometimes one person call me to inform that there is a problem with my modems. In two minutes, another person call me to inform that everything is good. Then in a couple minutes, other person call me to say that firmware of my modem is outdated. One day I have received four contradicting calls. Feels like that idiots never communicate to each other.

They request me to update the modems firmware! I called Motorola support and they said that this is only call for firmware update in the company history. Any modem firmware can be updated only by an ISP. I called Rogers if I can switch to Rogers with my own modem. Rogers says “no problem” with a modem firmware. When provisioning is done any modem will upgrade to the latest firmware. Regardless this info, Teksavvy continues request to upgrate the firmware. I called Motorola again to exchange my modems. Motorola said the new firmware was out on August 12, 2013 (four days later my request to Teksavvy to provision the modems!!!). Due to that, all modems in any store have old firmware!

I was trying to deliver all the info to Teksavvy support but unsuccessfully. A technician continues pushing me to buy a modem from Teksavvy.

Twenty two days later one of my modems start working. It took just 22 days for Teksavvy to provision one modem! With old firmware! I think they should register with Guinness World Records book.

Amazingly, they continue to request a firmware update on the second modem. No argument can pass thick forehead bone of Teksavvy sheep.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review

Hello Taraban See Profile

We certainly apologize to hear that we have forced you into buying a new modem. You shouldn't be forced to buy our modems. However you would be limited to the modems from our approved modems list. We do offer open box modems at a discounted price as well so there are some options when ordering another modem.

When it comes to wrong firmware on the account, we are unable to open a repair ticket or upgrade your service as we cannot guarantee that the service will fully function with said modem.

The approved firmware for your current modem is:

Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.12

We apologize for our vendor delays when it came to provisioning your modem. We are working on rectifying this as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Any feedback good or bad is definitely appreciated. We would certainly like to look into your account and investigate your situation further.

Can you please post a message along with your account information in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum?

TSI Shawn S,
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Sebastien

join:2013-02-18
Gatineau, QC

"vendor delays"
Taraban

join:2008-11-01
North York, ON

Horroble experience with Teksavvy

So, one modem with firmware 1.0.5.1 is good and another with the same firmware is not. Identical modems, the same day provisioning and one is good another is not. In the mean time both modems are still in the retail box. How firmware of not online modem is affecting provisioning?

Will you suggest me to upgrade the firmware?
cription

join:2013-07-22
Vanier, ON

Re: Horroble experience with Teksavvy

I have been dealing with the same issues with having to buy a new modem with teksavvy as well, did the modem die just out of warranty(2 months) as well?
Taraban

join:2008-11-01
North York, ON

Re: Horroble experience with Teksavvy

I got request from Teksavvy to update the modem firmware!!!
How can I update a modem firmware?!!!
said by TSI Support2:

If you can have the firmware updated

What do you mean?!!!
I still do not understand how a firmware can affect provisioning if a modem is not on line. And why another the same modem with the same firmware is been swabbed.
Problems with Rogers are your problems. I deal with Teksavvy, I do not want to hear about any other company. BTW, pointing a finger on third party is not professional manner.

Review by layora See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Almost unlimited bandwidth, cheap and resonable price"
Bad "unstable internet service with lots of packet loss."
Overall "If you live in mississauga square one area, I don't recommand Teksavvy. It is highly unstable."

I tried my best to fix this problem, but it seems like teksavvy doesn't know how to fix it.

From consumer's perspective, whether it is roger's fault or not, all I want is just a stable internet. Teksavvy failed to deliver this simple service although the company takes my money every month.

I called so many times trying to fix this problem and I even upgraded the plan hoping that it would somehow fix this problem. Even rogers technician visited my house and checked it but the guy said there is no problem on roger's end.

Using Teksavvy for 2 years, the first year was fine but past 3 ~4 months, internet is highly unstable.

over 90% of the time, it works but very often, the internet suddenly became really slow and had serious packet loss problem.

Deeply disappointed and frustrated...

I really wanna stick with teksavvy but the company fails to deliever a stable internet.

I'll wait till this weekend and if the internet is still unstable, I guess I have to leave Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Marty

Your Review

Hello,

We regret that you had such a great experience turn negative, If you can PM me I can certainly look into the situation and do my best to have this resolved as soon as possible to provide you that stable connection once again and up hold the TekSavvy standard of service excellence the best I can. I again apologize for the issues you have faced and hope to hear from you to begin working towards a resolution with you.

Review by schnauz See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Great when it works as advertised"
Bad "I haven't had a reliable connection for 3 months and support is unable to do anything about it."
Overall "Great price, terrible service. Techs are well-meaning but completely ineffective."

August 12, 2013 Update

Service transferred to Start as of Aug. 6th with only about an hour of downtime. All the back and forth with Rogers about the disconnect/reprovision orders may or may not have been an issue, but I do know that Start did keep me in the loop about the order status. In the back and forth between TSI and Start, the two reps at TSI I spoke to on the phone told me that the order had been received and processed by Rogers (which it hadn't), it wasn't until I chatted with TSI Ashleigh through the direct forum that things moved along and the order went as it should. Kudos to TSI Ashleigh for her help, boo to the two reps on the phone who either didn't have a clue or were trying to make me happy by telling me the order was processed. TSI Ashleigh was very good to deal with through the direct forum and I'd advise any customer of TSI to use it rather than even thinking about calling in. I'm raising the Tech Support rating a notch based on Ashleigh's help. Other than that, the rating is staying the same, I really hope the full transition to aggregated means better times again for TSI and their service returns to what it was in the past.

Update as of July 30, 2013

Now in the process of transferring my service to Start as they are offering higher uploads on their lower download tiers which is extremely useful for me. The issue here is that having placed my cancellation order on July 20, Start informs me that Rogers still hasn't received the cancellation request from Teksavvy. I have a long thread in the direct forum as well as having called in at least twice to get the request pushed through and ten days later it still hasn't happened. Teksavvy and/or Rogers has dropped the ball here and it's another disappointing experience dealing with Teksavvy's support. Even getting rid of TSI's service is difficult and aggravating and now I'm looking at up to a week of no service because of incompetence or inability to deal with Rogers' procedures. I made the cancellation request with over two weeks of lead time so I wouldn't be billed for another full month in advance, and to cover the required 10 business days to get my connection switched, and it still wasn't enough. Very unhappy.

Original review:

I've been a TSI cable user in the year or so that it's been available on the Fallowfield POI in Ottawa, and a TSI DSL user for several years before that. I've always stuck with TSI because of their advocacy, their fair prices, and up until recently, their excellent support and transparency. I signed up for cable in May 2011, and had an excellent connection from the start. However, in late January, 2012, my 1/28 connection started acting up considerably. One weekend, my modem would not connect and seemed to be stuck in an infinite reboot loop, I called in, and after two calls and several hours on the phone, a Rogers tech was dispatched for the following Monday. During this time, I'd occasionally get connectivity, but only for minutes at a time. Mysteriously, an hour before the Rogers tech was due to arrive, my connection came back and stayed on. I really shouldn't have cancelled the dispatch in hindsight, but at the time, it was the first time I'd had any connection issues and thought it was just a local node issue. The TSI phone techs were polite and well-intentioned, but had little ability to do much other than dispatch a Rogers tech, which on the second call was quickly done.

February I was away most of the month, so I can't comment on connectivity at that time, but when I got back from vacation, my connection was suffering random disconnections and slow speeds. This continued through March up until the 25th, where my speeds slowed to the point of near dialup and pretty much intolerable. After waiting a day to see if it was just Sunday high usage, I started a thread in the Direct support forum. Since then, I have had to perform speedtests, ping tests, traceroutes, and answer a large variety of questions taking up quite a bit of my time, with the aim of getting a Rogers tech dispatched to check my line and modem. Through the week, I have provided up to date test results which are all pretty much uniformly bad, and twice Rogers seems to have dismissed the request. TSIJoel seems to have spent the most time and effort on the ticket and indicated that I should have been able to get somewhere with this, but as the thread has gone on, two other techs have dealt with the ticket. The last tech basically asked the exact same questions as Joel did on the first post, as if he hadn't looked at anything in the thread. I don't see the point in filling out the questionnaire yet again to provide information I already provided at the start of the thread. Nothing has changed for the better on my end, speeds are still just as slow, pages are slow loading or just timeout, VOIP barely works (why I'm using the direct forum rather than calling in). At this point, I'm extremely frustrated with TSI support and their reluctance to push Rogers to send a tech, as it's obvious (at least to me) that there's a line problem or my modem is toast. Either way, a tech would be able to diagnose that if they would just send someone. I've done my part in this (and far more than any customer should have to), TSI should just stop wasting my time as well as theirs, push for a dispatch and get my connection sorted out. It worked great up until the last couple of months, I haven't changed anything on my end, but now the connection is garbage and TSI Support has been unable to do anything about it.

I've been a loyal customer for 5 years of this company, and since their expansion into cable, I've watched the quality of their service and support plummet. I understand that they're at the mercy of the incumbents, but at the end of the day, I'm still paying TSI for a service that I'm not receiving. I'm looking at going back to DSL, at least third-party companies have some ability to troubleshoot DSL connectivity issues, but I'm not excited about having to pay more for slower speeds. 1/28 cable costs me $46/month, where 1/16 Dry DSL will be in the neighbourhood of $56/month due to the dry loop cost. If it's consistent though, I'll be able to live with it. Unlike this broken cable connection that TSI seems unwilling to do anything about...

Right now, I don't recommend Teksavvy Cable to anyone, it's not worth the money for an unstable, congested, and unserviceable product.

Update as of Apr. 8, 2012:

I was finally able to find someone that I could test my modem at their place, gave it a whirl there with the same results as before, and then was able to convince TSI to send me a new modem. Received a new DCM475, went through the de-provisioning/re-provisioning process which went fine, plugged in the new modem and speeds are back to normal. We'll see how it works out in the long run, but at least I'm getting advertised speeds and reliable connectivity again. I won't be changing the scores on my review though until I see that connectivity stays that way.

My bottom line is still pretty much the same though. Aside from a couple of techs who actually seemed concerned with my situation, all the troubleshooting was done by myself on this end and TSI support was of little value when it came to actually finding the fault in the connection. For cable, TSI is basically just an answering service for Rogers, and have very little ability to deal with any technical problems. My question is what happens when a) a user doesn't know how to run a tracert or other diagnostics? or b) a user is unable to test the modem elsewhere? My wife's comment about all this was if it were up to her, she would have just gotten frustrated and cancelled after a week of poor service. My recommendation for anyone considering TekSavvy cable is to make sure you understand that if there are problems, you will mostly be on your own. And before anyone says, "Well blame Rogers for that", I am well aware of TSI's relationship with Rogers, but all the same, it's TSI taking people's money for providing a service, and it's up to TSI to deal with problems as they arise.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
schnauz

Speedtest

Speedtest around 1PM on a Monday:

This is a 1/28 connection and I still can't get a tech dispatched to check this out?

JCohen
join:2010-10-19
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: Speedtest

I'm in Craig Henry and on the Fallowfield POI using an SB5100 Docsis 2 modem and my speeds are fine. I have the same 28/1Mbps plan.

Re: Speedtest

So far, TSI support seems to think that it's an RF interference issue on my line, and I'm inclined to agree. Rogers however doesn't seem to want to do anything about it so far. My speeds were pretty much the same as yours up until a week ago.

JCohen
join:2010-10-19

Re: Speedtest

Can you post the signal from your modem?

Are their any splitters in between the coax coming in and your modem?

Have you tried plugging the modem directly into the coax cable coming into your house?

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
join:2009-09-28
said by schnauz:

We are just waiting for your availability in the Direct forum to get a tech out from Rogers to look at the line.

The reason why the information was asked twice in the direct forum was to make sure that when the ticket is submitted for a dispatch to Rogers the most recent and up to date information is sent along as well. We don't want sent them incorrect information which can delay the dispatch and get a resolution to the problem.

Thanks,
Paul
nordtwilight

join:2007-11-04
Toronto, ON
I am reading your post and shaking my head. I am having the same problems from the other end, on dry-loop DSL.

A month ago I requested an upgrade to 16mbps from 6. Bell came in, but set my profile too high, so I would be burnt off the connection by having a line rate my phone line could not take.

Bell sent another guy a week later, but suddenly now I had a different problem - now I was suffering from multiple logins on the same line: Same result, I get knocked off connectivity.

I also use MLPPP. I have been told multiple times that this is not playing a role.

THe multiple login was admitted to me on Friday after an epic call of some 90 mins - as TS' fault, not Bell's.

After multiple, multi-hour phone calls all demanding the same actions (unplug modem, reset it, try a different modem, try a different cable/phone line, try a different login name and password, etc etc etc) I *still* suffer daily brownouts and general interrupted connections.

Finally at the weekend I broke down and asked to be switched to cable. I also asked for some of my install charges to be paid by TekSavvy, as I am not getting reliable service now, which was rejected by TS personnel. This despite the fact that I would have not requested it in the first place were it not for this unacceptably poor connection.

I am reconsidering things. I would like to know why multiple logins continue to occur. I really would like to be reimbursed for the lack of connectivity and the considerable inconvenience. I used to be very satisfied with TS service, but things have definitely declined in the last 2-3 years.

I'm going to raise this with TS again this week. As much as I hate both Bell and Rogers from direct experience, I need to explore other options.

Thanks for listening.
Massimo Savino

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Answers for A & B.

quote:
A) We would guide the customer on how to launch the command prompt & what would be needed to be typed in.

B) It does happen that a customer is unaware of anyone that may be able to help them. ie. Someone just recently moved to the country. The reason we ask to test the modem is so that the modem doesn't get blamed as the issue. If the modem is the problem & it hasn't been tested, then when a Rogers tech that shows up & proves the modem was the issue the customer could end up with a 99$ charge. Not only would the charge also be there but a new modem would be required. Now if the modem was provided by TekSavvy, we can do an exchange, but if the modem wasn't provided by TekSavvy, not only would the 99$ charge apply but a new modem would need to be purchased by the customer. The reasoning behind testing the modem is to protect the customer, not to cause additional problems or fees.

Hope this will clear those things up for you.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Re: Answers for A & B.

Thanks for the response Martin. However, my end judgment of this experience is that you guys really need to negotiate a much better support system with Rogers. Having the user spend hours of their time collecting data on TSI's behalf, the 48 hour turnaround every time something is submitted to Rogers, TSI having to try to justify a ticket with Rogers, TSI techs having little or no insight into Rogers' network status, it's a ridiculous way to do business. One thing that really struck me (and I don't know if it's just your techs, or if Rogers techs don't care either) is how no one paid any attention to the huge discrepancy in the count of correctable and uncorrectable codewords in the modem stats. That that count changed immensely from the norm should have said right away that there was a line issue or the modem failing, yet without me pushing to have the modem replaced and finding somewhere finally to test it, nothing would have been done. Rogers declined to take the ticket twice, and I'd still be living with a garbage connection. I don't really care about a $99 diagnostic fee (and I'd gladly pay it if it sped up the process), the point is that TSI couldn't even get Rogers to take my ticket in the first place (even with all the tracert data, ping tests, speed tests, and modem logs indicating a connection problem), at least that's my understanding of how this went. And the end result would still have been me paying for a 1/28 connection running at near dialup speeds and TSI still gladly collecting $46 a month for it.

Bottom line is that I'm very soured on TSI by this experience, and I've been a customer for 5 years and recommended TSI to other people in the past. If you can't adequately support a service you provide, you either shouldn't be offering it, or you should be charging a whole lot less money for it. I feel that TSI support was unable/unwilling (either way, makes no difference to me in the end) to go to bat for me as a paying customer with Rogers, and that speaks volumes about the quality of how your company is run these days. If I have to go through this nonsense again to get something fixed, I'll be saying goodbye to cable and to TSI.

Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Schnauz,

Thank you for the update! I do apologize for any inconvenience your disconnection has caused, however as per our thread in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. Your account has been disconnected and confirmed (with our vendor) for disconnection for the past 5 days. You should have no difficulty having an appointment scheduled with your new provider. As always if you have any questions please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help!

Thank you again for the update and enjoy your future endeavors!

Ashleigh

Re: Update

Thanks Ashleigh, your efforts were the first satisfying result I've gotten out of this situation. Obviously it's a Rogers issue, I really wish TPIA clients had a better way of dealing with things besides this ridiculous 48 hour turnaround and general lack of communication from Rogers. Hopefully Start can manage to get through to Rogers to re-provision my modem without causing me downtime. You'd think cancelling/ordering over 3 weeks in advance would cover it, but then again, it is Rogers we're dealing with here.

TSI ShawnS

Re: Update

Hello schnauz,

Thanks again for your review,

We apologize for the vendor delays and we are sorry to see you go. We are certainly working on bettering our communication.

I'll definitely let TSI Ashleigh know about the Kudos.

TSI Shawn S.
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by whytoolate See Profile

• Location: Courtenay,BC
Good "Its my only and last hope"
Bad "8pm to 12am it seems to be all me all the time and never faster than .83 MBS Took 45 days to get it started and running"
Overall "You need a dns admin and less PPPOE Robots 285 to install 48 bucks a month for basic DSL"

Well its been nearly about 3 months of service so far with Teksavvy. I originally got teksavvy because I had exausted all avenues of services available to me in rural western bc other than this company. Telus has treated me like garbage ever since I tried getting business service at this location , shaw utter garbage as well disconnecting me 3 times and now putting me on some kind of blacklist and tells me I can't have services any more with them because it causes there community problems. I guess the problem is no one seems to set a PTR to what is real and not fake and unmaintained. Regardless of getting into why all the ISP's seem to be criminals lets focus on the ones that are making a legitimate effort at delivering on a service and not isolating and spying on there customer base. I ask myself why do I want the added layer of privacy and they seem to ask themselves the question how can we intercept this customers data better. Well it took about 45 days to get hooked up after talking with teksavvy repeatedly, they never understood how to set up ATM frame relay and have no DHCP servers. They only understand PPPOE because its software automatically uses 255.255.255.255 and dhcp understand propagating numbers on 255.255.255.0 but pppoe is different uses much more overhead of TCP packets and never needs to be maintained. They seem to be unwilling at Telus to open port 25 to even there business installs I guess because no one is left to even maintain there Nortel router. Teksavvy however does have all ports unfiltered wow was that worth waiting 45 days for and arguing with people that dont understand the fundamentals? I dont know why I need internet since it seems its just used to gather information on how to extract dollars from its customers here and less like a service that respects its customers privacy. I dont know exactly whats going on other than no one is at the helm and PPPOE will reign at LIGHTSPEED PPPOE.CA and copperdsl.ca for years with no maintainence until some poor customer comes allong and wants a ip. While I guess how long can this go on is what the real question should be. Im tired of doing everything and having to pay for internet. Yes Im used I know I am used and its pathetic. But why doesnt any isp in BC have class? A dhcp server that can assign static ips, allocate PTR records and enjoy mixing there dns. Why do they all have to be jerks and have literally no control over there network other than push button activation? Maybe you should cry now. Next why doesn't the CRTC test these isps once and awhile to make sure they have full control over there netblocks let them demonstrate how to set and propagate a ip to a PTR on there netblock. Its sad to watch the speed get less and less every night between 8pm-12am and where someone in another country Im guessing by the timeframe starts and stops there shift making things worst only to watch downstream dip below upstream I wonder how is being relyed on the most here the customer or the dns admin that is non existant.

The fact I get 5/.83 is exactly the same as acadias , montreal bottleneck and huricane just reflect that its apart of the network which is controlling caps which has no infastructure. Telus doesn't care about its service area to rural bc and will never invest to do it. Its stupid , look at the airport in the comox valley they said telus invested 17 million in fiber and the dns is recursive to shaw parksville. Its all stupid and backwards in this area I can't ever seem to get out of the 90's for speed and in the 21 century. What is wrong with all of you guys? I swear you have to have a mental illness to work for a ISP these days, every burries there head in the sand and refuses to believe reality and forwards dns to the competition. If this isn't anti-competitiveness I dont know what is.

I sit here starring at canoes all day my mind is slowly getting saturated with something that doesn't exist VDSL. The 999mhz spectrum is so competive I swear shaw pays telus not to invest 700 bucks per dslam to upgrade to VDSL and add a gpon line.

I have no options left, Shaw refuses me service, Telus seems to keep making up bills like rogers and bell what the hell is wrong with all these people?

I ordered 6/1 dsl I got 5/.83 which is .40/.83 at peek hours which means cable and me are mixing is best I can figure out.

I provided my own equipment trust me its not the hardware's error

I can't seem to get what I pay for and I pay dearly for it trying to get Nucleus, Lightspeed and now Techsavvy seems to pay 250 per start up and they are all vengful and impossible to talk to. They all seem to be incapable of understanding reality and do what needs to be done to provide a stable connection. Since there seems to be no admin there things are going to get worst and worst the longer I am connected since they dont understand proper peering with there wholesale providers.

Man am I ever good.

member for 1 year, 2 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's not very clear what you are attempting to bring to the review, but if you require help with our Service, please don't hesitate to contact us Via the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

To clarify a few points, yes we use PPPoE, we don't block ports & we do allow for PTR's to be set. Albeit we may have to configure them for you. As for DNS servers, you can use which ever DNS server you prefer.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by kevin brown See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON

I have been a Teksavvy customer for five years. Good experience as long as you don't have to interact directly with them.

I signed up to transfer my internet service to my new property. I decided to move away from Dry Loop/DSL to Cable. I purchased a cable modem from Teksavvy.

I signed up with a sales rep at Teksavvy. They asked for a contact as a way of identifying myself. They didn't tell me that this would be used by Rogers to confirm access to my property on the install date.

The sales rep also took down my address wrong (she entered 32 instead of 22) and yes I had a message on the wrong phone regarding rogers waiting outside the wrong house. I'm now told that they will take 48 hours for their SRA to get off his/her ass and review voice records. They did throw in that the SRA may now expect me to pay a new cable install fee. Services are obviously delay by at least one week. The next threat was "If I cancel then that will be another $25". They really know how to wind up a bad situation for a customer.

If this goes to dispute, I will cancel and I will return my Modem Hardware and seek compensation through a legal small claims.

The initial sales staff are not capable of asking and taking in the right information or giving out important messages.

Their customer service staff demonstrate the lack of empathy dealing with a situation and threaten further charges when you mention leaving.

They don't frighten me and we all have options.

member for 1 year, 5 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello Kevin,

I am sorry to read that your switch from DSL to Cable didn't go as smoothly as expected. I would like to look into your account and see what I can do to have things go faster so we can get you connected asap. Could you confirm your account information by sending me a quick PM TSI Jonathan. I can confirm to you that there will not be another installation fee.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and will ensure to follow up on it.

E-Services Team Leader

Paullll

@bell.ca

-1 recommendation

Re: Review

Very unhappy with them. They've ignored a support issue about service drops for weeks. We're promised 8Mbps upload and only get 2.

We're switching to someone else, probably Comwave.

Hi Paullll,

I'm sorry to hear about your service drops. I wasn't able to locate any direct thread with us and your username is not linked to any accounts. Could you please post in the direct forum with your account information so that we can investigate this issue for you?

E-Services Team Leader