TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by rainetara See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Nothing "
Bad "Insanely inept customer service"
Overall "Will be seeking out a new ISP"

I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy last spring, and besides a few interruptions that were very poorly handled (I was told that I would have to go out and purchase additional computer equipment before they could file a service request re: service disruption) I had internet that worked well for the price that I agreed to pay. My satisfaction with their services began to deteriorate around a move and subsequent move of internet service scheduled for December 1, 2013. Below you will find the details of my complaint. I was told that my only recourse was to send an email to the complaints department as Teksavvy, which I have done TWICE with no reply. I did ask during one of the many phone calls with Teksavvy for the email address of the CEO, and was denied.

Content of email sent to Teksavvy complaints on December 19 and January 3:

"I would have written this email sooner, but I don't have internet and therefore had to compose on my phone. Yes, the service that I have ordered, had 2 technicians out to install, been overcharged refunded and then charged again for, filed several complaints over and spent HOURS on the phone demanding continues to elude me.

I was an existing customer and scheduled a move of my services for November 30th. The closest appointment I could get to the day was December 2. On that evening a technician came out and refused to install the service as there wasn't any existing cable run, so he demanded a letter from the landlord. I explained that she lives a few doors away and that I could get her to come over. He said he wouldn't wait and gave me a form for her to fill out. No one has lived in this apartment for many years, and I was aware that there was no existing cable and could have provided that information if anyone had bothered to ask.

Just to see if I was paying attention, my November bill had an additional $79 dollars or so tacked on. No one I spoke to could explain why. I had to then wait for a cheque to refund the money that your company was never authorized to take in the first place.

I made several attempts to get a hold of Teksavvy about my failed installation. I spoke with a male representative to whom I gave my availability and explained the situation. He stated that he would try to get the service resumed that following weekend.

A few days later I received a confirmation email booking a time that I had indicated that I was unavailable (fighting with Teksavvy isn't my only job). I spoke with two separate service reps that day, and very clearly expressed my concerns and availability and requested an appointment during a time that I was actually available. I heard nothing for a few days. I called Teksavvy and demanded to speak with a manager. After explaining this ridiculous breach of customer service to another unsympathetic agent, I was connected to a "manager". He was in fact the same person I spoke to who botched my second appointment request. He stated that no further attempts had been made to change the date of the appointment that I was unavailable for, in spite of my speaking to two separate people about the matter. He assured me that he would reschedule.

On the following Tuesday I received a tentative time for Friday evening. When I hadn't received any confirmation by Friday at 1pm, I called your office. After being "disconnected" twice and waiting a total of 30 minutes on hold, I received confirmation of my appointment. When I asked when exactly they intended to confirm this appointment, she told me that they were just about to call.

Technician number 2 arrives and immediately refused to install my service. He states that he needs daylight to install a new service and couldn't now that it was dusk. I argued with him for awhile explaining that a technician had already been out and should have known the situation. I begged him to rebook the appointment for me as I could not bear to have to play broken telephone with your inept customer service department. Rogers called me later that evening to arrange an appointment that will hopefully happen sometime today.

After the initial failure to connect my service, I explained to the person I was speaking to on the phone that I would obviously not be paying for services that I was not receiving. The person I spoke with informed me that it would be my responsibility to inform Teksavvy when I actually did get service and then I would be refunded the money. While speaking to the "manager" on a separate occasion he assured me that I would not be charged for the month and that he was sorry about all the confusion. I received an invoice this morning, and have been charged. Charged for services that I do not have access to and obviously have not received.

As you can imagine I am shocked my your companies complete failure to provide the service that we have agreed to, and the appalling lack of customer service and I would like to be compensated for such. I am extremely disappointed by your company and will tell everyone I can about my experience. As a former Rogers customer, who was tired of being ripped off and bullied, I was hoping that I had found a better alternative. It seems not."

As an update, the service technician did install the service on December 19, and the connection is suboptimal. My few, again botched attempts at support have yielded no improvement. I suspect that I have needlessly replaced the router and am now paying someone to come and assess the situation since Teksavvy is not interested in functional product or customer service.

Additionally, the 3 weeks of service interruption that I was charged for and assured that I would be refunded on a subsequent phone call on December 20th, was again missing from my invoice that I received tonight. So I once again spent 30 minutes arguing over a refund for services that were never provided.

TR

Comments:

TSI Andre

Your Review

Hi RT,

I apologize that your experience has been terrible so far. It is certainly not what we strive for.

I'd like to have one of my agents review your account so we can make this right and learn from our mistakes.

If you could post in our direct forum, we will investigate and make sure this gets corrected.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
rainetara

join:2014-01-18

Good morning,

So you can't investigate unless I post this elsewhere? I have spent the equivalent of weeks already pursuing this, are you now suggesting that this will only be investigated if I post on the forum page?

Re: Your Review

We can't investigate until you provide us information as we don't know who you are. Here is the direct forum where you can post your account info privately: »TekSavvy Direct
rainetara

join:2014-01-18

Horrendous service!!!

Content of email sent to Teksavvy complaints on December 19 and January 3:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

When we investigate we try to do so in the direct forum or via help.teksavvy.com so account information is not released publicly. This is for your privacy that we do it this way. Please let us know how you would like to proceed!

Liz

Investigating

Hi there,

Elizabeth has provided me a timeline and I am now investigating the account further.

I will get back to you shortly.

Info

Hi Rainetara,

I will be providing you with my response in the Direct Forum.

Review by ddduser See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "acceptable cap limit"
Bad "connection reliability and support"
Overall "avoid"

CABLE 6 Mb package with 300 gb limit
Very bad connection reliability. Connection is stalling every few minutes
When you get a hold of a tech representative they are indeed patient and respectful but this does not help me with my problem.
The speed is constantly less than half of what we are paying.
We were previously DSL clients of Teksavvy and the quality of service was even worse than for cable

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Review

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We understand that not everyone one is knowledgeable on how the internet works & how issues may not always be obvious on resolving. There are definitely many things to be verified when troubleshooting an issue.

That said, if you could possibly get in touch with us via the »TekSavvy Direct forum, I would like to see what has been done by our techs & see if we can help you out get to the bottom of your issue.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Leathal
join:2002-02-09

Re: Your Review

This client makes two very good points that Teksavvy needs to work on if they want to stay in business.

1. Tech support is painful. Waiting time are atrocious. They call you back after more than 24 hr when you are obviously away.
2. The troubleshooting is a very long and complicated process that requires considerable work and knowledge on client side.

The MSP that I work for has been around for 25 years, and has never left clients waiting for their call back for more than 2 hours. And I have pointed out the 2nd issue before in the forums if you are providing the service you sure as hell better be doing MOST of the leg work trouble shooting issues your clients have because MOST not all will have a hard time turning on their computers, getting their email or surfing the web, to expect them to do all the trouble shooting will upset up enough that they'll leave Teksavvy. I am Senior L2 Tech at the MSP I work at, so I simply refuse to do your homework for you as I am the paying the customer, paying you for the service that I expect to work, and I expect to be respected just like all your other clients do.

Regards,
Andrew

Pat

@pppoe.ca

Unstable Teksavvy

I currently have teksavvy and I have lost the connection more than I can remember. Since I have cable internet and know that TS is on Rogers lines I thought that I would call Rogers to see if it was just TS that was down. And it was the only one that was down. Long story short I may be wrong with by saying that it's Rogers fault but either way teksavvy has been terrible with service and time spent waiting and working with the techs is simply not worth it. Currently shopping for a new, more reliable ISP.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Re: Unstable Teksavvy

Hello Pat,

Thank you for your message.
We can certainly get to the bottom of your connections issues and see where the issue lies. Troubleshooting will be required.

Please post a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum. We can have a look at your account assist you further with the issues that you are experiencing.

TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by GFong See Profile

Good "Nothing: Rogers offered me the same price as TekSavvy when I switched"
Bad "Customer service, promised updates, insulting compensation, paying for service they didn't provide"
Overall "AVOID! 21 days without service, was offered to be compensated for only 18 of those days. Promised many things, lied about all."

I was 21 days without internet service from TekSavvy! When the service was back up, they only offered to compensate me for 18 out of those 21 days without reason....I was insulted! When I asked why I need to pay for days that service was not provided all they said was "18 days was all that was approved for". You would think that after THREE WEEKS without service, they would offered me a few months free for my hassle, but instead they insult me by only compensating me for 18 of the 21 days I didn't have service, making me pay for something I wasn't given... it's like STEALING!

For the 21 days I didn't have service, I've been made many promises (free extra month on top of outage days, 48 hour turnarounds to call me back)... none of which were kept. I understand that they use Rogers' infrastructure to provide service, but false promises for compensation, no call backs, no status updates, and an insulting offer at the end: 18 days CREDIT for 21 days of no service (credit would only be offered if I STAYED with TekSavvy...and I still needed to pay for 3 days for service I wasn't provided).

I've documented the past 21 days and have been on the phone with TekSavvy for ~20 hours. I have a CID number and phone logs as proof. My telephone line is VOIP and I've told them this, but they still insist on calling me there for some reason (I would think they would document if someone had VOIP and not call them there if their internet was down).

I will spell out the 21 day nightmare here (I have names and phone extensions of tech support and supervisor names, but I will leave them out... for now)

Day 1 wake up in the morning without service - September 25 (yes, the issue was only resolved yesterday... it was resolved by LEAVING TEKSAVVY!) - Called TekSavvy (30 min wait), was told a 48 hour turnaround to fix the issue

Day 3 - 48 hours later I receive TekSavvy phone call - issue resolved. When I get home, internet doesn't work. Call Tech Support (35 min wait), Tech Support says "I don't know why someone called you when clearly the problem hasn't been solved yet". They need another 48 hours to deal with the issue. We'll contact you within 48 hours.

Day 5 - by the end of the day, no one has contact me. Call Tech Support (30 min wait). Said they will "escalate the issue".... ESCALATION TAKES 48 hours!!! "We'll contact you for sure with an update in 48 hours"

Day 7 - NO ONE contacts me. Call Tech support (20 min wait) I finally become angry and request for the supervisor. Supervisor says "usually customers with issues over 4-5 days are put on a list so they can be given status updates". WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN ON THE LIST???!!! IT'S BEEN 7 DAYS! (I still don't get updates after this). Supervisor promises the following:

- will be compensated for at least 30 days on top of the outage days (DID NOT HAPPEN)

- A MANAGER will call me (DID NOT HAPPEN)

- A MANAGER will talk to me to compensate me more than 1 month since my case has taken an unusual amount of time to get resolved (DID NOT HAPPEN)

Once again issue has been "escalated".. second escalation.

Day 8 - NO ONE contacts me. Call Tech support. They say "I see the escalation...we'll escalate it again, this time we'll contact you within 24 hours". THIRD ESCALATION!!! WHAT DOES ESCALATION EVEN MEAN TO THEM??!!! I tell the supervisor regarding day 7... she said she can't make any promises and dismisses my concern regarding when the internet will be fixed and says that If I leave TekSavvy now, I won't get compensated for the days I didn't have internet (What?!! I need to pay for something I wasn't provided???), unless I stay with them until they fix the issue.

Day 10 - Another supervisor calls me (not manager as promised) - FIRST call I receive since day 3 (which was a call saying my internet was fixed...which obviously it's not)! He assures me they're still working on it and to give him 2 days and he'll personally call me back (he doesn't call and I never hear from him again)

Day 12 - 48 hour turnaround promised...but no one contacts me.

Day 13 - Teksavvy calls me... 1.5 hours turning my modem on and off

Day 14 - repeat of day 13

Day 18 (Thanksgiving weekend) - Calls me, and I'm busy so they leave a voice mail

Day 19 - receive an e-mail saying "If we do not get a response via e-mail or by phone, by either us contacting you or vice versa. Your ticket issue will be considered resolved." WHAT?!!! They call me once and now they're going to "CONSIDER" my issue RESOLVED! I call them and tell them it hasn't been resolved.

Day 21 - By the end of the night no one contacts me. I call tech support (40 min wait), after 30 mins of troubleshooting, internet works! They say they know I'm looking for compensation for the days I've been out of internet. She comes back and offers me 18 days for 21 days of no service!!! I was absolutely insulted, beside the fact that they didn't even offer me anything more for the 3 week nightmare.. their compensation offer was for me to PAY FOR SERVICE I DIDN'T RECEIEVE!!! So they didn't provide me the service and wanted to charge me for it.

I get a supervisor on the line and after another 20 mins, she only offers me 20 days and belittles me by saying that even if I call in again, tech support will see that I've already been offered 20 days and no one will give me more than that. I do call in again to tech support (25 min wait), and after some time, they give me 21 days of compensation. I tell them that I'm unhappy with their service and the promises that they made and I'll be leaving TekSavvy... and they say "the 21 day compensation is a CREDIT, and will receive it on your next bill, if you leave now, you won't get the credit". So now after 3 weeks of headache, they say they won't give me my money for a service I wasn't provided. After at total of 2 hours on the phone with them... they SAID they'll write me a cheque for 21 days... I left TekSavvy, it's not worth the headache.

Day 22 - Day after cancellation (today). I called TekSavvy-Accounts knowing their tendency to deliver false promises, I wanted to make sure. They said they won't be writing me a refund cheque for 21 days since the system still says it's only a CREDIT if I stay with TekSavvy (but I've already cancelled the service). Why do I need to keep checking up on them to make sure things are done properly??!!!

- 6 promised phone calls that I didn't receive

- Contact by a manager to discuss my situation which did not happen

- A promise to be put on a contact list for "prolonged no service scenarios" like mine, did not happen

- Compensation that was promised that was not delivered

- The nerve to e-mail (during a long weekend) informing me that if I didn't contact them that they would consider my issue resolved (considering all the promised phone calls from them)

- Making me pay for a service they didn't provide and offering an insulting 18 day CREDIT compensation after 21 days of NO SERVICE

- After hours of waiting and talking to "higher ups", they "said" they'll refund me 21 days in the form of a written cheque, however, when I called in to confirm the next day, it's still only a 21 day "credit" if I stay with them... another lie (They promised me a cheque in the mail and I've already cancelled my services, how would I use the credit?)... need to waste more time calling them to do their jobs properly and ensuring they deliver on what they promise.

BEWARE of their false promises and insulting compensations! I bought a modem from them only a year ago, can't use it at Rogers, now it's just a paper weight.

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hey there,

Thank you for your feedback! I'd first like to apologize for this situation, I can assure you that this is a rare occurrence that is not taken lightly.

Now since I do not have any account information I cannot confirm that this is indeed the case for your account, but generally speaking we advise a customer 48 hours as that is what Rogers requests from us. Since we are a reseller we are required to give them 48 hours to process the information we've sent to them in regards to the repair.

If they respond to us saying the issue is resolved we will let you know that the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately since we rely on them to complete the repair we cannot definitively determine if the issue has indeed been resolved without speaking with you. This is why we'd report the issue resolved when indeed it is not.

In regards to the credit, I'm not sure why my colleagues would only offer 18 days of credit for something that took 21 days to resolve. Would it be possible for you to post in the DSLR TekSavvy Direct forum with your previous account info so I can look in to what happened here so I could provide you with a better, more detailed explanation.

Unfortunately without account info I can only provide a very limited explanation and information.

Regards,
Jon

Re: Review

For you to "confirm this is indeed the case":

I understand the 48 hour turnaround since you are a reseller. I was surprised when tech support said "I don't know why someone called you when clearly the problem hasn't been solved yet" and all the times that someone was supposed to call me regarding my internet status but didn't. The supervisors apologized but it continued to happen afterwards.

I'm not sure why they offered me 18 days either, that's something you can look into.

Hello GFong,

Thank you for the account information. I have reviewed your account and I see the credit for 21 days was added to your account. It will be sent out by cheque for you, you will receive that shortly and cheques are sent out on Fridays. In regards to not receiving credit if we are not given the opportunity to troubleshoot and fix the issue; you were absolutely informed correctly. In the terms and conditions that you agree to three times when we are setting up your account you are informed of this. We also email you a copy of the terms and conditions when you first sign up for service with us so you can review them. Without agreement to these terms your account would not have been set up.

In regards to not receiving follow up on your account when requested. I see your account was with our case management team and they attempted to contact you almost every day from October 7th until October 14th, 2013. Every note left on your account says they reached your voice-mail, these notes also indicate the case management team left messages for you to call back as they were unable to reach you directly. When they were unable to reach you after a week of trying to contact you, they sent you an email stating they were no longer following your account; as they were unable to contact you after multiple attempts. Our case management team is the team you were told you were going to be contacted by and they would be following your account. They did have your account and they were following for a resolution.

I do apologize you are upset with this situation and we certainly do regret to lose you as a customer however when reviewing your account it looks like everything you were looking for was addressed and completed on your account.

Anymore questions please let us know through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to assist.

Re: Review

To clarify your above mentioned credit situation. I was given a 21 day credit after 3 hours of arguing with 3 different people and calling twice (waiting in the queue again) to speak to another representative after the 1st and 2nd one would not give me my 21 days of credit. You can be honest on this forum.... check the account, I was originally offered 18 days, and then 20 days and then finally 21 days with some more arguing.

Also, as written in my original note, I use VOIP which I informed the tech support staff MULTIPLE times, and as you know if I don't have internet, you can't reach me at my house line... OF COURSE it will goto my voicemail. And as you also said you only tried to reach me October 7th which was already my 13th day without service.

I didn't expect this type of customer service from TekSavvy, I spoke highly of TekSavvy until this incident.
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine

said by GFong:

You really have to understand the limitations of VOIP and as such have alternatives. ie FORWARD OR RING GROUP YOUR CALLS TO A CELL PHONE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE.

If your voip was unreliable, you should have given them an alternative phone number.

Sorry about your service being disrupted though. I do know that hardware will fail and it can be aggravating to diagnose what is going wrong with your system.

In an ideal situation, it's best to have backup hardware, but that is a lot of wasted money sitting around doing nothing.

1 day of service I would have gone crazy, so I feel for you.

How long had you had service for with teksavvy? Are you in a 'new' territory?

Re: Review

I understand the limitations of VOIP. It wasn't my VOIP that was unreliable, but I can't use it if there's no internet connection. TekSavvy does has my cell phone number but decided not to call it.

I was with TekSavvy for 1 year and 3 months, I heard good things about them so I switched over from Rogers but now I've switched back.
Expand your moderator at work
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Review

That's too bad. It's my experience that once something gets fixed in a catastrophic situation like this, almost nothing ever bad happens again. After that point it's time to reap the rewards.

I don't know what your region charges, but for my $30, I get twice the cap size for half the cost compared to shaw, and I get double the speed for half the cost of what Telus charges.

So from my viewpoint, I expect horrible customer service, and I'll take it gladly if I get a reduction in internet service costs.

Disregarding the service interruption of which 21 days is just too long, you did prove though that calling in isn't necessarily the best thing to do. If I ever have a problem like this. I"m going to the direct forum to get my issues solved. Call service is spotty depending on the person trained on the other end. The forum while slow, documents everything.

Review by pldube See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "illimité!"
Bad "rien trouver encore de mauvais chez TSI"

·Bell Fibe
Après 12 ans chez Vidéotron, j'ai fais le meilleure changement possible ! 30 Mbits illimité! 3x plus rapide et 6$ moins cher que le 8 Mbits illimité du Vidéotron Affaire.

Update 2013: Augmentation de 20$ quand les autres ont seulement 3$ d'augmentation pour le même forfait (vitesse et limite)

Comments:

TSI Andre

Merci

Bonjour,

Merci pour le mise à jour sur votre revue. Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît préciser si vous dites votre taux a augmenté de 20 $ avec nous ou si Vidéotron l'on fait?

Merci,

pldube

join:2011-06-11

Re: Merci

c'était lors de la hausse salé du mois de mai ... depuis je suis avec Bell avec un 175Mbits pour le même prix et illimité

Review by kimks3 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Pre-sales info is decent, depending on the rep you speak with"
Bad "Anything and everything is Rogers' fault."
Overall "My 25/2 mbps plan has been 0/0 mbps for the past week"

Warning: Incoming wall of text:

I've lurked on DSLR for the past several months in search of an ISP to replace Bell, who are still offering a paltry 6Mbit connection in my neighborhood, with caps that are nothing short of pathetic. Since I don't have a landline, cable is what I chose to go with, and Teksavvy's favorable reviews made me sign up with them some 2+ weeks ago.

My install date was set for today, December 1st, and I contacted Bell to terminate my DSL connection on this date, but only after checking and re-checking with Teksavvy to ensure that: (a) the connection will be ready for use upon completion of installation, and (b) the technician would be able to install a new coax jack in the house, as the only one we have is hooked up to a satellite dish. Both the TV provider and TSI reps recommended that a splitter/joiner not be used.

(By the way, I did not have to give Bell 30 day notice as there is an upcoming price increase and I was able to cancel the service on a date of my choosing, per their terms of service, since I did not agree with their changes)

Anyway, the Rogers tech arrived at 2:30pm, only calling me once he was right outside my house. No big deal; he entered and after taking one look at where I had planned to connect the modem, he told me that it wouldn't be possible because there was only one coax jack, and he did not have to (read: did not want to) do any drilling/fishing of wires, saying it was "not on the work order".

He claims that since I was not a Rogers customer and with a reseller, I would have to pay $125(!!) if I wanted him to install a new jack in the wall. Not only was he extremely rude, but he also had the audacity to tell me I would be better off using Bell, saying that the best he could do is connect the modem in my basement. I obviously declined as all my other devices requiring hardwire Ethernet connections are on the ground and upper floors.

He left after all of five minutes, but did say he would be in the area and told me to call if I worked something out with Teksavvy or I chose to pay the $125.

I first called my television provider, who said that they would send out a tech first thing tomorrow (Dec 2nd) to install a separate jack for their dish at no charge (excellent support considering this provider is "Bhell"). They said I was free to have Teksavvy rewire my current jack with their network, which shouldn't be hard since I had Rogers cable TV up until just 2 months ago, and all the wiring is still in my basement.

I called the technician and he said he would revisit to hook up the current jack for use with TSI. He mentioned something about checking his work order, then hung up as I asked what time he will arrive by. That was the last I heard from this technician and he never did return. All calls since have gone to voicemail.

I contacted Teksavvy, and was told that the technician should have installed a new connector, and the fact that they did not was "unfortunate". Rogers support of course wasn't willing to help since I was not their customer.

Teksavvy tells me that they are not permitted to contact the technician or even speak to anyone at dispatch. I was offered a new install date on the 4th which was the earliest day possible. Every time I had a problem with Bell, they would send someone out the next day, even on Sundays.

The fact that I will have no internet for 4 days was, again, "unfortunate". I spoke with a supervisor who offered me a whole ten dollars for the inconvenience. Refund on the $65 installation fee? Sorry, not available. TSI was kind enough to let me know that the second technician will be sent at no charge. Wonderful.

I can't wait to get my cellular bill after 4 days of tethering by a household of 5, not to mention I will have to take a day off to sit around at home for another tech on the 4th, who might maybe sorta do the job this time, if they feel like it. If they don't, I guess I'll be in the dark for another few days and get ten bucks off my bill to make up for it.

Since I don't trust Teksavvy telling me that the new technician (who may very well be the same guy from today) will install the jack and run a new wire, I will have "Bhell" come tomorrow to run a new line for their dish. Bell might be expensive, but their support is top notch and I can often get most problems taken care of in 15 minutes using their live chat. Teksavvy's hold times are usually longer than this, and telephone is the only method of real time support.

While it may have been the Rogers technician that caused this problem, I was still disappointed by the complete lack of communication and control Teksavvy had (can't even talk with the person installing your services for your customer?!), and the laughable "compensation" offered for what is a major waste of time and money for me.

I paid Teksavvy for Teksavvy Internet; to me, the "middleman" Rogers is more or less irrelevant. If they cause problems, it still = a poor experience with TSI.

I almost never write reviews, but my tethered connection is so slow, I don't have much else to do but try to share my experience...

The current ratings reflect the service (or lack thereof) I received as of Dec 1. I will change them to reflect any updates, and will hopefully improve. I was so excited to finally get a connection that isn't slower than what most third world countries have...

---

TL;DR: Technician didn't do what they were supposed to, waited whole day to find out install will have to be redone 4 days later. 4 days of no internet. Given 10 bucks for "unfortunate" situation. Rogers is evil, everything is their fault.

************

Dec 2 Update: Bell came by and installed a new direct coax line to the satellite dish in 10 minutes. The existing jack is *finally* ready to be used with TSI.

Install date however has been pushed back another day because I called to inquire about checking any earlier timeframes, even early mornings/late evenings--this meant I had to "forefeit" the Dec 4th date, and as luck would have it, the new date is now Dec 5th between 8 to 11. The joys of booking dates & times indirectly...

*******************

Sept 2013 update: The sheer number of long widespread downtime and poor service make it impossible for me to leave even a marginal rating.

After 2 days of downtime, I called earlier this morning, waited no less than 49 minutes before talking to a human, to be told they can credit me around a dollar per day, starting today, because that's when I called to report that the service wasn't working.

Comments:

sad eh

@videotron.ca

No refund again.

So after all that, did you get your refund? Or did teksavvy say too bad for you once again? Not giving people proper service or giving people their money back is a very obvious trend and game that we have been seeing for a good year.

Have you considered doing a charge-back with your credit card company to get your money back? Or filing a complaint with the CCTS?

You might want to consider both these avenues to get your money back, and don't settle for anything less than a full refund. How much time & money have you wasted so far on this and getting nothing but a big mobile bill?

No service and no refund is a trend with this company if you take the time to review it.
kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON

Re: No refund again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have not looked into reversing my payment or otherwise cancelling service (yet), because I still need internet, and setting up with Start/distributel/etc would take even longer. I invested too much time and money into TSI to ditch them now, and I am sure they are happy to hear that...

If I am unhappy with the connection, or if there are any further problems, I am ready to jump ship even if it means I have to eat the $100+ I paid already.

sad eh

@videotron.ca

Re: No refund again.

I can see how you just want it to work and just not bother with the hassles. But no one will do anything about it and this situation unless you do go through the hassle, sad to say.

But, in reference to your other post down below, +1 to you for standing your ground kimks3.

You can see how these situations end up by checking this, »Teksavvy sucks

and this »No Show Techs. Share your Experience

Personally, i'm not one to nickel and dime some company for compensation. But we have all had this happen to us time and time again. No end in sight. And the industry (ie Teksavvy) just doesn't care enough about you to bother bringing the issues to the CRTC, yet the owner will go ape sh*t to make sure they get your money and not refund it, as seen in the first link provided.

Something doesn't smell right in stinkville. And yes, they have a mechanism for charge-backs already in place but a few years ago they stated the cost to them in man-power outweighed them doing charge-backs. Both Teksavvy (Rocky when he was CEO) and Acanac stated this. But The current CEO, Marc, seems to state now that this isn't so. But I don't believe it. It's up to them to get it back. You already lost a day of work and will now lose another day of work. But don't dare ask for a refund.. OMG... those are fighting words to teksavvy and they will blacklist you (as seen in the first link provided).

That is what's sad about all this.

So +1 to you, but I say make it a hassle. Maybe after enough people b*tch and moan and demand their money back will the industry (ie teksavvy) do something about it. Right now they are not and just trying to simply refuse refunds. It really isn't right.

BTW, feel free to add your experience to the topic we have going (2nd link).

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I can definitely understand your perspective in the matter and why you're frustrated. The fact that you have satallite TV should have been known, as it does make a difference in installation requirements. I have already sent this information off to our Quality Assurance department to ensure everyone is informed of this. There are many benefits to being with a third party provider like us, bigger bandwidth, lower price, no contract, no cancellation fees, no throttling, etc. However, because we do not own the infrastructure that the installations need to be performed on, our install times are not as convenient as the owner of the infrastructure. There is little we can do about this. It is not that we are trying to inconvenience you further, this is just the soonest we could have done this.

Our communication with Rogers is not ideal, and we do not have contact with the technicians that perform the installs. We do not try and blame Rogers as you are completely correct: if they cause problems= still a poor experience with us. We just try to be completely transparent in the matter to try and give you an exact idea of what is going on. I apologize if you feel the credit is laughable, however, something that needs to be understood is that we charged a very large portion of what we charge you for the monthly service. That $65 is charged by Rogers to us in full for the activation, which is why we were unable to engulf it. We cannot credit like the incumbents as we do not charge the extra amounts to give larger credits. Again, I'm not trying to provide an excuse but transparency for you to understand why certain actions were taken. I hope this situation resolves for you, and I'd love to have a look into your account. So please feel free to message us in the direct forum in order to have a look over your account to ensure all the proper steps were taken.
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."
kimks3

join:2012-12-01
Richmond Hill, ON

Re: Response.

I appreciate the somewhat generic reply, but TSI need not "own" the infrastructure or technicians to ensure that its customer doesn't have to wait around for days for an installation which should have taken no more than an hour.

I don't care whether the $65 goes directly to Rogers or to Teksavvy's CEO's toaster replacement fund. I paid TSI to install and activate my service; whether or not Rogers is contracted to do this doesn't concern me.
Any sensible person would tell me to demand at least a portion of this be returned, if the technician not only does nothing but come and waste my time, but cause to live without internet access--which the UN deems a basic human right--for days.

Since it is Rogers that messed this up, it boggles my mind why TSI does not seek compensation from them.
If I pay the post office to ship merchandise to a customer, and the postal service messes up and loses the item, it would be ridiculous for me to refuse to refund the buyer "because I used their money for postage and the cost of the merchandise".
I would immediately refund the buyer and seek compensation from the post, just as TSI should from Rogers.

I'm not interested in posting in the direct forum, which just seems like a way to reduce the likelihood of prospective customers from seeing issues like this. You can find my account with the postal code L4E3V8.

Info

Hi kimks3,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience, Phil, our escalations manager and I have been talking about your case and we would like to do a deeper dive with Rogers.

Could you please PM me your account details so I can reach out to Rogers about your situation.

Also, please keep me posted on how the visit goes today.

Once I have more info, I will reach out to you with my findings.

Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

huakimhoaya

@mnsi.net

Tech support

When you need tech support with Teksavvy is very bad. I made to many call only machine talking and took too long waiting on line. Not like Teksavvy 5 years ago. If the tech support like that how can we solve the problem

Review by kisanis See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Great speed and bandwidth once set up"
Bad "Terrible/Nonexistent customer service. Terrible wait times. Borderline bait and switch"
Overall "I seriously didn't believe someone could be as terrible as bell/rogers for customer service. I was wrong"

I have previously been with rogers, bell, and primus for my internet. I know how the system works, I get the last mile thing. I get they go through bell/rogers for the setup. That said, never again teksavvy. Never.

TLDR; They sold us a modem that became incompatible with our service 1 month after signing up, then refused to do anything about it, leaving us with either buy a new 100$ modem, or drop to 1/3 the speed.

What happened: My girlfriend and I signed up for Cable 18 express in April/May 2013. The cost was 40/month +75$ to buy the modem and 10$ to ship it to us. We were recommended to purchase an RCA DCM425 modem. Rogers came and hooked up. All was well.

Then 5 months later we decided to move apartments.

We called TSI to ask how their process works. Then it all fell apart. wait times on the phone for support were taking 15mins-30mins. Finally my we hung up and called the new customer line, and got through right away. (surprise surprise). We were told that our cable 18 package is no longer offered, and we'd have to upgrade to cable 25, no cost difference, faster speeds, same bandwidth. Seemed ok - lets do that.

But wait, we'd also have to buy a new modem - or else we'd drop to the cable6 package. Pay 100$ for a new modem (plus a 65$ activation again, for moving) or keep our modem but downgrade to 1/3 the speed. We couldn't transfer our existing cable 18 service. They sold us a modem that they essentially made obsolete with our current level of service a month later.

After some research, i learned about DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 and how badly their sales rep screwed us over. TSI cancelled the cable 18 package one month after we signed up for it - replaced it with a DOCSIS 3.0 only cable25 package; but told us when we signed up that we wouldn't need 'the more expensive' modem, and that TSI 'recommends' the DCM425.

Just some background. DOCSIS 3.0 was released on 2006, rogers began switching their network to be DOCSIS 3.0 only in 2011 and teksavvy announced their DOCSIS 3.0 based speed packages in March of 2013, 2 months before we signed up.

"We didn't know" was the answer we got when we asked what the hell was going on. Thats either a lie, or gross incompetence.

"Can we return and swap the modem for a new one then?" I was told yes, but no one gave us a cost. Just that it was possible. I asked how much we will get back, and didn't get an answer. The only firm 'discount' available was a 20$ credit.

So to keep essentially the same service, and to move my internet a 5 minute drive south, the cost would go from 165 to 145.
because 1 month in, the hardware they sold me was obsolete with the level of service we paid for - and they just refused to do anything about it.

We've cancelled. As I said to them on twitter, it appears TSI has just run out of expletives to give.
(They then wanted me to send them my account info via twitter, to look into the situation - a laughably unprofessional, if not moronic move).

No one seemed to give a damn until we hit public forums. No one to pick up the phone, but twitter and these forums get quick replies. They claimed they didn't know about the service changes they announced (in a hidden away Press release) 2 months before our service started. and their salesperson told us to buy a modem, that became essentially useless with their new services within a month of ownership.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Kisanis,

Thank you for the review. Sorry to hear you had an issue with your move order. In regards to the modems we can use for which packages this actually was introduced to us from our vendor. We unfortunately don’t have a say in which modems can be used for which speed tiers. Our vendor simply will not provision a docsis 2.0 modem on anything other than the 6 mbps connection anymore. This wouldn’t have been something that was informed to you when you signed up as at that time we were still able to use the Docsis 2.0 modems on higher speed tiers other than the 6 mbps connection. Once all of our areas where upgraded and new packages offered our vendor changed what modems they will provision on their infrastructure. We are aware that the need to purchase a new modem is a hassle and we do offer a discount off of a new modem if needed and you also have the option to purchase your own modem. You don’t have to purchase one from TekSavvy.

In regards to our online team, we are the team that watch all online communications for TekSavvy. Since we watch Twitter we were aware of this issue with your account; as you were speaking to one of my team members regarding this. I apologize you didn’t like our responses and I also apologize you didn’t want to give any account information through Twitter, without any account information we wouldn’t know who you were to help you. To be honest no matter if you call us directly or speak to us online, we will ask for your account information and verify you prior to assisting you. This is for the protection of our account holder’s information. As you go through all the online forums remember you’re speaking to the same ten agents; and yes we respond very quickly as we watch our forums every day.

We also understand there is a wait on the phones and that is why our online team has quite the online presence; we can be reached through Twitter, Facebook, TekSavvy Forum, DSLr Direct, and TekSavvy Chat. We have ensured there are many ways to reach us while as our phone lines are a little busy currently.

I do regret that you have currently cancelled, however in the future if you have any questions please contact us through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Review by martin123 See Profile

Good " ..."
Bad "Extremely long waiting times for support, Support team makes lost of mistakes."
Overall "DO NOT CHOOSE TEKSAVVY YOUR TIME IS WORTH MORE THAN THE SAVINGS!"

I decided to switch to teksavvy but was forced to cancel after 1.5 hours on calls with the customer service people due to mistakes they made.
first the open box modem I ordered and paid for was not a available so after missing their call i called back and it took 30 min on hold then 45 minutes to figure out how to add the new order without being charged for both modems.
Then of course the agent messed up and I was billed the full amount for the new modem. called back and after 30 min on hold I decided it was not worth the moderate savings so I opted to cancel my service.

Now without even receiving the modem I am forced to pay $20 for the shipping $10 each way, note i have not received the modem yet and will be refusing the delivery when it arrives so I am pretty sure the return shipping is not charged.

In addition I have to pay a $25 restocking fee. $25?!?!? for what it was never opened are they building a new shelf for it??

TOTAL BS

Trust me your time and frustration is the price you pay to go with Teksavvy

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24

Hi Martin123,

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. I would like to look into your account to see where our mistakes were. We can ensure that they are addressed and coached out to the appropriate agent(s).

I'd also like to look into the fees charged to return the modem. I believe you are accurate, I still would like to confirm but when refusing the package it should not be charged.

Could you please PM me TSI Jonathan See Profile your account information?

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by camelot See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Used to be."
Bad "Pretty much everything about their process."
Overall "Find someone else."

·Start Communicat..
I was a satisfied customer- up until the last month. Oh how quickly you lose customers.

I had decided that I can no longer rely on a service with multiple daily disconnects, and the subsequent hour-long wait to speak with someone.

I had called on September 9th, to schedule a disconnection day for 30 days out (end of my billing cycle)- for October 10th.

Come September 19th, I have no service. After waiting on hold yet again, the CSR tells me that I've been disconnected... 3 WEEKS EARLY. I asked if it was Rogers or TSI's fault, and they said without a doubt- TSI's fault. They improperly handled the disconnection order to Rogers.

I have no service at all. No phone, and it's awfully embarrassing to use the public library or coffee shop wifi to work.

I called Start, and the earliest they can do a "transfer of service" is October 2nd. Or the other option would be to setup as a NEW customer in 5 days....with a $50 connection charge. Transfers from existing are free. TSI offered to set me up as a new customer too, however they wouldn't be able to do it until mid-October...?????

This was supposed to be a same-day disconnect/reconnect and no additional costs incurred. A minute to swap the modem. Instead, I'm getting boned for the $50 connection fee because I simply cannot wait another 2 weeks for a transfer. No compensation other than waiving the "reconnect" if I sign back up with TSI. Really? So, come back to the same company after more than a month of being offline because of a mistake YOU made??

TSI, get your shit in shape. The boat won't float much longer if you keep making basic mistakes. I was an avid TSI supporter- even after my decision to leave. However this is a rotten way to end things. How hard is it to schedule a disconnect???

I called Start. How nice it is to speak to someone on the 3rd ring.

member for 6.6 years, 1642 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24

Hi Camelot,

I am very sorry to read the end of our business relationship ended on a bad note. I was able to locate your account and yes, it definitely was our fault on this one. The manager of the agent that created this problem has been notified to ensure proper coaching will be performed.

I sincerely apologize for what happened, delays have been impacting us very hard during the busy back to school season which has been hurting wait times. It’s been discussed in in Marc’s blog here -> »blogs.teksavvy.com/?p=2533

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.
camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
·Start Communicat..

said by TSI Jonathan:

I sincerely apologize for what happened

Whatever. That's all I've been getting aside from one offer to get me back up and running by mid-October (possibly/maybe) and waiving the connection fee. Gee. What a deal.

I'll be advising other potential customers to steer clear of TSI.

Review by mel_vin See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "rates and not one of the big boys"
Bad "reliability, access to support, long phone time waits for help"
Overall "forced to switch - need reliable internet for my work!"

I was super excited about getting TekSavvy when we moved. Had heard great things about them from friends a few years ago.

Installation went fine and on install date. got the cable internet.

All good until I arrived home one evening after work and internet was down. A phone call revealed little other than outages nearby but none specifically for my location. Waited on phone to speak with someone but after 20 minutes had to hang up -- spoke with no one, just listened to bad music and occasional 'helpful hints'.

Phoned twice more that evening. Unplugged modem, cable, re-plugged them, nothing.

Next morning tried again -- nothing. Called, long wait, had to hang up.

Went to public internet place to see if service problems in my area - nothing noted.

home again, called again. Waited 35 minutes to finally reach a person.

Ran through diagnostic tests -- they said it was the cable carrier and the cable carrier would be out sometime next week.

I work from home and need reliable internet access, so asked to be transferred to cancellations. too bad. poor customer service wait times coupled with unreliable service -- TekSavvy needs to up their game with the big boys and complain + pull rank with CRTC to level this playing field!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

review

Hello Mel-Vin,

Thank you for the review. I apologize for the wait times on the phones. We are aware there are long wait times on our phone lines and have ensured there are many ways to contact us. TekSavvy can be reached through Twitter, Facebook, TekSavvy Forum, DSLr Direct, and TekSavvy Chat. Currently with the wait times the best way to contact us is through our DSLr Direct forum »TekSavvy Direct we watch it every day and answer quite quickly.

I regret to see you have cancelled due to phone wait times, perhaps in the future we will see you back with TekSavvy. If you have any other questions please message us through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Giving TSI The Business

Another person using residential internet for business purposes

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

Re: Giving TSI The Business

you can't actually get business internet at a residential address usually. i suppose you feel the quality of service he received was acceptable even if he didn't work from home regardless of who is to blame?

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: Giving TSI The Business

said by jmck:

He is never the less using residential internet for business purposes . And No i don't feel the quality was acceptable regardless .....

Review by Taraban See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "A high usage limit."
Bad "Incompetent technical support. Overpriced."
Overall "Not recommended. Look for a professional, customer friendly ISP."

When problems with internet connections have happening, I called Teksavvy support. A technician says my modem is outdated and I need a new one. Immediately he start pushing me to buy a modem from Teksavvy. I do not like models and prices from Teksavvy. Especially, I do not like aggressive pushing. So, I purchased two new modems Motorola SB6121 (I have two accounts).

I called Teksavvy support on August 8 to submit info to provision my new modems. That when torturing starts. A technician call me every day to inform that they are good but Rogers gives all problems. Sometimes one person call me to inform that there is a problem with my modems. In two minutes, another person call me to inform that everything is good. Then in a couple minutes, other person call me to say that firmware of my modem is outdated. One day I have received four contradicting calls. Feels like that idiots never communicate to each other.

They request me to update the modems firmware! I called Motorola support and they said that this is only call for firmware update in the company history. Any modem firmware can be updated only by an ISP. I called Rogers if I can switch to Rogers with my own modem. Rogers says “no problem” with a modem firmware. When provisioning is done any modem will upgrade to the latest firmware. Regardless this info, Teksavvy continues request to upgrate the firmware. I called Motorola again to exchange my modems. Motorola said the new firmware was out on August 12, 2013 (four days later my request to Teksavvy to provision the modems!!!). Due to that, all modems in any store have old firmware!

I was trying to deliver all the info to Teksavvy support but unsuccessfully. A technician continues pushing me to buy a modem from Teksavvy.

Twenty two days later one of my modems start working. It took just 22 days for Teksavvy to provision one modem! With old firmware! I think they should register with Guinness World Records book.

Amazingly, they continue to request a firmware update on the second modem. No argument can pass thick forehead bone of Teksavvy sheep.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE: Review

Hello Taraban See Profile

We certainly apologize to hear that we have forced you into buying a new modem. You shouldn't be forced to buy our modems. However you would be limited to the modems from our approved modems list. We do offer open box modems at a discounted price as well so there are some options when ordering another modem.

When it comes to wrong firmware on the account, we are unable to open a repair ticket or upgrade your service as we cannot guarantee that the service will fully function with said modem.

The approved firmware for your current modem is:

Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.12

We apologize for our vendor delays when it came to provisioning your modem. We are working on rectifying this as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Any feedback good or bad is definitely appreciated. We would certainly like to look into your account and investigate your situation further.

Can you please post a message along with your account information in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum?

TSI Shawn S,
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Sebastien

join:2013-02-18
Gatineau, QC

"vendor delays"
Taraban

join:2008-11-01
North York, ON

Horroble experience with Teksavvy

So, one modem with firmware 1.0.5.1 is good and another with the same firmware is not. Identical modems, the same day provisioning and one is good another is not. In the mean time both modems are still in the retail box. How firmware of not online modem is affecting provisioning?

Will you suggest me to upgrade the firmware?
cription

join:2013-07-22
Vanier, ON

Re: Horroble experience with Teksavvy

I have been dealing with the same issues with having to buy a new modem with teksavvy as well, did the modem die just out of warranty(2 months) as well?
Taraban

join:2008-11-01
North York, ON

Re: Horroble experience with Teksavvy

I got request from Teksavvy to update the modem firmware!!!
How can I update a modem firmware?!!!
said by TSI Support2:

If you can have the firmware updated

What do you mean?!!!
I still do not understand how a firmware can affect provisioning if a modem is not on line. And why another the same modem with the same firmware is been swabbed.
Problems with Rogers are your problems. I deal with Teksavvy, I do not want to hear about any other company. BTW, pointing a finger on third party is not professional manner.