TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by layora See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Almost unlimited bandwidth, cheap and resonable price"
Bad "unstable internet service with lots of packet loss."
Overall "If you live in mississauga square one area, I don't recommand Teksavvy. It is highly unstable."

I tried my best to fix this problem, but it seems like teksavvy doesn't know how to fix it.

From consumer's perspective, whether it is roger's fault or not, all I want is just a stable internet. Teksavvy failed to deliver this simple service although the company takes my money every month.

I called so many times trying to fix this problem and I even upgraded the plan hoping that it would somehow fix this problem. Even rogers technician visited my house and checked it but the guy said there is no problem on roger's end.

Using Teksavvy for 2 years, the first year was fine but past 3 ~4 months, internet is highly unstable.

over 90% of the time, it works but very often, the internet suddenly became really slow and had serious packet loss problem.

Deeply disappointed and frustrated...

I really wanna stick with teksavvy but the company fails to deliever a stable internet.

I'll wait till this weekend and if the internet is still unstable, I guess I have to leave Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Marty

Hello,

We regret that you had such a great experience turn negative, If you can PM me I can certainly look into the situation and do my best to have this resolved as soon as possible to provide you that stable connection once again and up hold the TekSavvy standard of service excellence the best I can. I again apologize for the issues you have faced and hope to hear from you to begin working towards a resolution with you.

Review by schnauz See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Great when it works as advertised"
Bad "I haven't had a reliable connection for 3 months and support is unable to do anything about it."
Overall "Great price, terrible service. Techs are well-meaning but completely ineffective."

August 12, 2013 Update

Service transferred to Start as of Aug. 6th with only about an hour of downtime. All the back and forth with Rogers about the disconnect/reprovision orders may or may not have been an issue, but I do know that Start did keep me in the loop about the order status. In the back and forth between TSI and Start, the two reps at TSI I spoke to on the phone told me that the order had been received and processed by Rogers (which it hadn't), it wasn't until I chatted with TSI Ashleigh through the direct forum that things moved along and the order went as it should. Kudos to TSI Ashleigh for her help, boo to the two reps on the phone who either didn't have a clue or were trying to make me happy by telling me the order was processed. TSI Ashleigh was very good to deal with through the direct forum and I'd advise any customer of TSI to use it rather than even thinking about calling in. I'm raising the Tech Support rating a notch based on Ashleigh's help. Other than that, the rating is staying the same, I really hope the full transition to aggregated means better times again for TSI and their service returns to what it was in the past.

Update as of July 30, 2013

Now in the process of transferring my service to Start as they are offering higher uploads on their lower download tiers which is extremely useful for me. The issue here is that having placed my cancellation order on July 20, Start informs me that Rogers still hasn't received the cancellation request from Teksavvy. I have a long thread in the direct forum as well as having called in at least twice to get the request pushed through and ten days later it still hasn't happened. Teksavvy and/or Rogers has dropped the ball here and it's another disappointing experience dealing with Teksavvy's support. Even getting rid of TSI's service is difficult and aggravating and now I'm looking at up to a week of no service because of incompetence or inability to deal with Rogers' procedures. I made the cancellation request with over two weeks of lead time so I wouldn't be billed for another full month in advance, and to cover the required 10 business days to get my connection switched, and it still wasn't enough. Very unhappy.

Original review:

I've been a TSI cable user in the year or so that it's been available on the Fallowfield POI in Ottawa, and a TSI DSL user for several years before that. I've always stuck with TSI because of their advocacy, their fair prices, and up until recently, their excellent support and transparency. I signed up for cable in May 2011, and had an excellent connection from the start. However, in late January, 2012, my 1/28 connection started acting up considerably. One weekend, my modem would not connect and seemed to be stuck in an infinite reboot loop, I called in, and after two calls and several hours on the phone, a Rogers tech was dispatched for the following Monday. During this time, I'd occasionally get connectivity, but only for minutes at a time. Mysteriously, an hour before the Rogers tech was due to arrive, my connection came back and stayed on. I really shouldn't have cancelled the dispatch in hindsight, but at the time, it was the first time I'd had any connection issues and thought it was just a local node issue. The TSI phone techs were polite and well-intentioned, but had little ability to do much other than dispatch a Rogers tech, which on the second call was quickly done.

February I was away most of the month, so I can't comment on connectivity at that time, but when I got back from vacation, my connection was suffering random disconnections and slow speeds. This continued through March up until the 25th, where my speeds slowed to the point of near dialup and pretty much intolerable. After waiting a day to see if it was just Sunday high usage, I started a thread in the Direct support forum. Since then, I have had to perform speedtests, ping tests, traceroutes, and answer a large variety of questions taking up quite a bit of my time, with the aim of getting a Rogers tech dispatched to check my line and modem. Through the week, I have provided up to date test results which are all pretty much uniformly bad, and twice Rogers seems to have dismissed the request. TSIJoel seems to have spent the most time and effort on the ticket and indicated that I should have been able to get somewhere with this, but as the thread has gone on, two other techs have dealt with the ticket. The last tech basically asked the exact same questions as Joel did on the first post, as if he hadn't looked at anything in the thread. I don't see the point in filling out the questionnaire yet again to provide information I already provided at the start of the thread. Nothing has changed for the better on my end, speeds are still just as slow, pages are slow loading or just timeout, VOIP barely works (why I'm using the direct forum rather than calling in). At this point, I'm extremely frustrated with TSI support and their reluctance to push Rogers to send a tech, as it's obvious (at least to me) that there's a line problem or my modem is toast. Either way, a tech would be able to diagnose that if they would just send someone. I've done my part in this (and far more than any customer should have to), TSI should just stop wasting my time as well as theirs, push for a dispatch and get my connection sorted out. It worked great up until the last couple of months, I haven't changed anything on my end, but now the connection is garbage and TSI Support has been unable to do anything about it.

I've been a loyal customer for 5 years of this company, and since their expansion into cable, I've watched the quality of their service and support plummet. I understand that they're at the mercy of the incumbents, but at the end of the day, I'm still paying TSI for a service that I'm not receiving. I'm looking at going back to DSL, at least third-party companies have some ability to troubleshoot DSL connectivity issues, but I'm not excited about having to pay more for slower speeds. 1/28 cable costs me $46/month, where 1/16 Dry DSL will be in the neighbourhood of $56/month due to the dry loop cost. If it's consistent though, I'll be able to live with it. Unlike this broken cable connection that TSI seems unwilling to do anything about...

Right now, I don't recommend Teksavvy Cable to anyone, it's not worth the money for an unstable, congested, and unserviceable product.

Update as of Apr. 8, 2012:

I was finally able to find someone that I could test my modem at their place, gave it a whirl there with the same results as before, and then was able to convince TSI to send me a new modem. Received a new DCM475, went through the de-provisioning/re-provisioning process which went fine, plugged in the new modem and speeds are back to normal. We'll see how it works out in the long run, but at least I'm getting advertised speeds and reliable connectivity again. I won't be changing the scores on my review though until I see that connectivity stays that way.

My bottom line is still pretty much the same though. Aside from a couple of techs who actually seemed concerned with my situation, all the troubleshooting was done by myself on this end and TSI support was of little value when it came to actually finding the fault in the connection. For cable, TSI is basically just an answering service for Rogers, and have very little ability to deal with any technical problems. My question is what happens when a) a user doesn't know how to run a tracert or other diagnostics? or b) a user is unable to test the modem elsewhere? My wife's comment about all this was if it were up to her, she would have just gotten frustrated and cancelled after a week of poor service. My recommendation for anyone considering TekSavvy cable is to make sure you understand that if there are problems, you will mostly be on your own. And before anyone says, "Well blame Rogers for that", I am well aware of TSI's relationship with Rogers, but all the same, it's TSI taking people's money for providing a service, and it's up to TSI to deal with problems as they arise.

Comments:
schnauz

Speedtest

Speedtest around 1PM on a Monday:

This is a 1/28 connection and I still can't get a tech dispatched to check this out?

JCohen
join:2010-10-19
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: Speedtest

I'm in Craig Henry and on the Fallowfield POI using an SB5100 Docsis 2 modem and my speeds are fine. I have the same 28/1Mbps plan.

Re: Speedtest

So far, TSI support seems to think that it's an RF interference issue on my line, and I'm inclined to agree. Rogers however doesn't seem to want to do anything about it so far. My speeds were pretty much the same as yours up until a week ago.

JCohen
join:2010-10-19

Re: Speedtest

Can you post the signal from your modem?

Are their any splitters in between the coax coming in and your modem?

Have you tried plugging the modem directly into the coax cable coming into your house?

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
join:2009-09-28
said by schnauz:

We are just waiting for your availability in the Direct forum to get a tech out from Rogers to look at the line.

The reason why the information was asked twice in the direct forum was to make sure that when the ticket is submitted for a dispatch to Rogers the most recent and up to date information is sent along as well. We don't want sent them incorrect information which can delay the dispatch and get a resolution to the problem.

Thanks,
Paul
nordtwilight

join:2007-11-04
Toronto, ON
I am reading your post and shaking my head. I am having the same problems from the other end, on dry-loop DSL.

A month ago I requested an upgrade to 16mbps from 6. Bell came in, but set my profile too high, so I would be burnt off the connection by having a line rate my phone line could not take.

Bell sent another guy a week later, but suddenly now I had a different problem - now I was suffering from multiple logins on the same line: Same result, I get knocked off connectivity.

I also use MLPPP. I have been told multiple times that this is not playing a role.

THe multiple login was admitted to me on Friday after an epic call of some 90 mins - as TS' fault, not Bell's.

After multiple, multi-hour phone calls all demanding the same actions (unplug modem, reset it, try a different modem, try a different cable/phone line, try a different login name and password, etc etc etc) I *still* suffer daily brownouts and general interrupted connections.

Finally at the weekend I broke down and asked to be switched to cable. I also asked for some of my install charges to be paid by TekSavvy, as I am not getting reliable service now, which was rejected by TS personnel. This despite the fact that I would have not requested it in the first place were it not for this unacceptably poor connection.

I am reconsidering things. I would like to know why multiple logins continue to occur. I really would like to be reimbursed for the lack of connectivity and the considerable inconvenience. I used to be very satisfied with TS service, but things have definitely declined in the last 2-3 years.

I'm going to raise this with TS again this week. As much as I hate both Bell and Rogers from direct experience, I need to explore other options.

Thanks for listening.
Massimo Savino

Answers for A & B.

quote:
A) We would guide the customer on how to launch the command prompt & what would be needed to be typed in.

B) It does happen that a customer is unaware of anyone that may be able to help them. ie. Someone just recently moved to the country. The reason we ask to test the modem is so that the modem doesn't get blamed as the issue. If the modem is the problem & it hasn't been tested, then when a Rogers tech that shows up & proves the modem was the issue the customer could end up with a 99$ charge. Not only would the charge also be there but a new modem would be required. Now if the modem was provided by TekSavvy, we can do an exchange, but if the modem wasn't provided by TekSavvy, not only would the 99$ charge apply but a new modem would need to be purchased by the customer. The reasoning behind testing the modem is to protect the customer, not to cause additional problems or fees.

Hope this will clear those things up for you.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: Answers for A & B.

Thanks for the response Martin. However, my end judgment of this experience is that you guys really need to negotiate a much better support system with Rogers. Having the user spend hours of their time collecting data on TSI's behalf, the 48 hour turnaround every time something is submitted to Rogers, TSI having to try to justify a ticket with Rogers, TSI techs having little or no insight into Rogers' network status, it's a ridiculous way to do business. One thing that really struck me (and I don't know if it's just your techs, or if Rogers techs don't care either) is how no one paid any attention to the huge discrepancy in the count of correctable and uncorrectable codewords in the modem stats. That that count changed immensely from the norm should have said right away that there was a line issue or the modem failing, yet without me pushing to have the modem replaced and finding somewhere finally to test it, nothing would have been done. Rogers declined to take the ticket twice, and I'd still be living with a garbage connection. I don't really care about a $99 diagnostic fee (and I'd gladly pay it if it sped up the process), the point is that TSI couldn't even get Rogers to take my ticket in the first place (even with all the tracert data, ping tests, speed tests, and modem logs indicating a connection problem), at least that's my understanding of how this went. And the end result would still have been me paying for a 1/28 connection running at near dialup speeds and TSI still gladly collecting $46 a month for it.

Bottom line is that I'm very soured on TSI by this experience, and I've been a customer for 5 years and recommended TSI to other people in the past. If you can't adequately support a service you provide, you either shouldn't be offering it, or you should be charging a whole lot less money for it. I feel that TSI support was unable/unwilling (either way, makes no difference to me in the end) to go to bat for me as a paying customer with Rogers, and that speaks volumes about the quality of how your company is run these days. If I have to go through this nonsense again to get something fixed, I'll be saying goodbye to cable and to TSI.

Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Schnauz,

Thank you for the update! I do apologize for any inconvenience your disconnection has caused, however as per our thread in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. Your account has been disconnected and confirmed (with our vendor) for disconnection for the past 5 days. You should have no difficulty having an appointment scheduled with your new provider. As always if you have any questions please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help!

Thank you again for the update and enjoy your future endeavors!

Ashleigh

Re: Update

Thanks Ashleigh, your efforts were the first satisfying result I've gotten out of this situation. Obviously it's a Rogers issue, I really wish TPIA clients had a better way of dealing with things besides this ridiculous 48 hour turnaround and general lack of communication from Rogers. Hopefully Start can manage to get through to Rogers to re-provision my modem without causing me downtime. You'd think cancelling/ordering over 3 weeks in advance would cover it, but then again, it is Rogers we're dealing with here.

TSI ShawnS

Re: Update

Hello schnauz,

Thanks again for your review,

We apologize for the vendor delays and we are sorry to see you go. We are certainly working on bettering our communication.

I'll definitely let TSI Ashleigh know about the Kudos.

TSI Shawn S.
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by whytoolate See Profile

• Location: Courtenay,BC
Good "Its my only and last hope"
Bad "8pm to 12am it seems to be all me all the time and never faster than .83 MBS Took 45 days to get it started and running"
Overall "You need a dns admin and less PPPOE Robots 285 to install 48 bucks a month for basic DSL"

Well its been nearly about 3 months of service so far with Teksavvy. I originally got teksavvy because I had exausted all avenues of services available to me in rural western bc other than this company. Telus has treated me like garbage ever since I tried getting business service at this location , shaw utter garbage as well disconnecting me 3 times and now putting me on some kind of blacklist and tells me I can't have services any more with them because it causes there community problems. I guess the problem is no one seems to set a PTR to what is real and not fake and unmaintained. Regardless of getting into why all the ISP's seem to be criminals lets focus on the ones that are making a legitimate effort at delivering on a service and not isolating and spying on there customer base. I ask myself why do I want the added layer of privacy and they seem to ask themselves the question how can we intercept this customers data better. Well it took about 45 days to get hooked up after talking with teksavvy repeatedly, they never understood how to set up ATM frame relay and have no DHCP servers. They only understand PPPOE because its software automatically uses 255.255.255.255 and dhcp understand propagating numbers on 255.255.255.0 but pppoe is different uses much more overhead of TCP packets and never needs to be maintained. They seem to be unwilling at Telus to open port 25 to even there business installs I guess because no one is left to even maintain there Nortel router. Teksavvy however does have all ports unfiltered wow was that worth waiting 45 days for and arguing with people that dont understand the fundamentals? I dont know why I need internet since it seems its just used to gather information on how to extract dollars from its customers here and less like a service that respects its customers privacy. I dont know exactly whats going on other than no one is at the helm and PPPOE will reign at LIGHTSPEED PPPOE.CA and copperdsl.ca for years with no maintainence until some poor customer comes allong and wants a ip. While I guess how long can this go on is what the real question should be. Im tired of doing everything and having to pay for internet. Yes Im used I know I am used and its pathetic. But why doesnt any isp in BC have class? A dhcp server that can assign static ips, allocate PTR records and enjoy mixing there dns. Why do they all have to be jerks and have literally no control over there network other than push button activation? Maybe you should cry now. Next why doesn't the CRTC test these isps once and awhile to make sure they have full control over there netblocks let them demonstrate how to set and propagate a ip to a PTR on there netblock. Its sad to watch the speed get less and less every night between 8pm-12am and where someone in another country Im guessing by the timeframe starts and stops there shift making things worst only to watch downstream dip below upstream I wonder how is being relyed on the most here the customer or the dns admin that is non existant.

The fact I get 5/.83 is exactly the same as acadias , montreal bottleneck and huricane just reflect that its apart of the network which is controlling caps which has no infastructure. Telus doesn't care about its service area to rural bc and will never invest to do it. Its stupid , look at the airport in the comox valley they said telus invested 17 million in fiber and the dns is recursive to shaw parksville. Its all stupid and backwards in this area I can't ever seem to get out of the 90's for speed and in the 21 century. What is wrong with all of you guys? I swear you have to have a mental illness to work for a ISP these days, every burries there head in the sand and refuses to believe reality and forwards dns to the competition. If this isn't anti-competitiveness I dont know what is.

I sit here starring at canoes all day my mind is slowly getting saturated with something that doesn't exist VDSL. The 999mhz spectrum is so competive I swear shaw pays telus not to invest 700 bucks per dslam to upgrade to VDSL and add a gpon line.

I have no options left, Shaw refuses me service, Telus seems to keep making up bills like rogers and bell what the hell is wrong with all these people?

I ordered 6/1 dsl I got 5/.83 which is .40/.83 at peek hours which means cable and me are mixing is best I can figure out.

I provided my own equipment trust me its not the hardware's error

I can't seem to get what I pay for and I pay dearly for it trying to get Nucleus, Lightspeed and now Techsavvy seems to pay 250 per start up and they are all vengful and impossible to talk to. They all seem to be incapable of understanding reality and do what needs to be done to provide a stable connection. Since there seems to be no admin there things are going to get worst and worst the longer I am connected since they dont understand proper peering with there wholesale providers.

Man am I ever good.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's not very clear what you are attempting to bring to the review, but if you require help with our Service, please don't hesitate to contact us Via the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

To clarify a few points, yes we use PPPoE, we don't block ports & we do allow for PTR's to be set. Albeit we may have to configure them for you. As for DNS servers, you can use which ever DNS server you prefer.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by kevin brown See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON

I have been a Teksavvy customer for five years. Good experience as long as you don't have to interact directly with them.

I signed up to transfer my internet service to my new property. I decided to move away from Dry Loop/DSL to Cable. I purchased a cable modem from Teksavvy.

I signed up with a sales rep at Teksavvy. They asked for a contact as a way of identifying myself. They didn't tell me that this would be used by Rogers to confirm access to my property on the install date.

The sales rep also took down my address wrong (she entered 32 instead of 22) and yes I had a message on the wrong phone regarding rogers waiting outside the wrong house. I'm now told that they will take 48 hours for their SRA to get off his/her ass and review voice records. They did throw in that the SRA may now expect me to pay a new cable install fee. Services are obviously delay by at least one week. The next threat was "If I cancel then that will be another $25". They really know how to wind up a bad situation for a customer.

If this goes to dispute, I will cancel and I will return my Modem Hardware and seek compensation through a legal small claims.

The initial sales staff are not capable of asking and taking in the right information or giving out important messages.

Their customer service staff demonstrate the lack of empathy dealing with a situation and threaten further charges when you mention leaving.

They don't frighten me and we all have options.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hello Kevin,

I am sorry to read that your switch from DSL to Cable didn't go as smoothly as expected. I would like to look into your account and see what I can do to have things go faster so we can get you connected asap. Could you confirm your account information by sending me a quick PM TSI Jonathan. I can confirm to you that there will not be another installation fee.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and will ensure to follow up on it.

Paullll

@bell.ca

-1 recommendation

Re: Review

Very unhappy with them. They've ignored a support issue about service drops for weeks. We're promised 8Mbps upload and only get 2.

We're switching to someone else, probably Comwave.

Re: Review

Hi Paullll,

I'm sorry to hear about your service drops. I wasn't able to locate any direct thread with us and your username is not linked to any accounts. Could you please post in the direct forum with your account information so that we can investigate this issue for you?

Review by tanimhbk See Profile

• Location: Wellesley,ON
Bad "No refund even if they cannot connect you to internet"
Overall "If i buy a service for 202$ and the product didnt work for 3 weeks, I sud get full refund when i return or cancel the service"

I ordered Teksavvy cable on June 28. They charged me 202$ for this and when they could not get me on internet for technical issues (they kept blaming rogers but I was not sure what i have to do with this) by July 18 I cancelled their service. In those 3 weeks they even sent technicians and they could not solve the problem. They keep mentioning the technicians are from Rogers and they are not right all the time, etc. And I am like..didn't you guys send them and now you are saying they are bad? lol So basically after 3 weeks of no service of a new order, i had to cancel my line and asked them for a refund. They refused to refund me any money and told me that they do not have refund any thing until they can resolve the issue. I asked what if it takes years to resolve the issue, they said I have to wait lol. I was talking to a supervisor name "Dave" he said his employee id is 529. He said there is no refund and I asked him there was 100$ charge for the modem and I am returning the modem and there is always a return policy for a purchase. And he got nervous and started saying things that didn't make sense. Anyway I filed complaint at CCTS website as suggested by CCTS cause I am a student and 202$ is a lot for me and I do not think they honor a consumer at all. Its not fair to charge a person 200$+ for a product that didnt work and no refund just because after 3 weeks of calling tech support everyday for hours the customer cancelled the line.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time for doing your review. If you could please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so I can take a look at your situation.

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
tanimhbk

join:2013-07-20
Wellesley, ON

Re: Your Review

Hi Martin I did.

»[Cable] Refund requested for purchase of Cable that did not work

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you had difficulty getting connection with your services. I have had a chance to review your account with my manager. What we see is multiple attempts at sending a ticket to our vendor to correct this issue, however our vendor never responded to any of our requests; stopping any fix to this issue. Since our vendor never responded to any of our requests to fix your issue we were never able to get this fixed and connected.

Now I do have to tell you, for the most part yes you were advised correctly from our phone agents, as per the terms and conditions we do need to troubleshoot a connection prior to refund. However in this case, we never received a response from our vendor to fix this after sending multiple requests to them. Negating any fix to this issue.

As I said I have been speaking to my manager about this and we are going to provide a full refund for this issue. As there was no resolution when there should have been. If you can check your post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct I have left some more information for you.

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this matter for you.

Anymore questions please let us know.

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by bananabread2 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap, fast, high bandwidth, no contract, speed as advertised, unlimited bandwidth between 2am-8am"
Bad "Customer service in steep decline, technical support non-existant, took very long time to activate, connection unreliable"
Overall "Wacky customer service & unreliability is leaving a bad taste. As mentionned already, they are suffering some growing pains."

I've been with Teksavvy for a little while (DSL before). I moved in from a DSL service to a cable service, because of speed issues and price. I have the Cable 10 package, which is 35$/mo, tax in which is great. The speed is as advertised and bandwidth generous for the common users (150GB) - you should browse normally and stream casually without worries.

Teksavvy used to be renowned for their support, however they were terrible at addressing the many issues I had when moving. There's many ways to contact them - perhaps too much. I had trouble finding a simple support email address and instead relied on previous email exchanges I had to submit an issue. Often by email my issues were left unanswered. On the phone, the reps are always extremely polite, but due to the company relying on the infrastructure of others, it's impossible for them to provide technical support. And because of that, they're overdoing it during normal support by being overly polite and all (no really it's annoying), but still cannot do anything.

It also seems that every department of reps. is independent and thus I had a hard time talking to the right person (who often told me it was out of their power). Even for basic stuff (cancelling my DSL line) they forgot to cancel it even though it was on the phone and subsequently received a confirmation of order for the next service (thus I was billed for the DSL).

Due to them relying on another cable company (in my case Videotron), they were slaved to Videotron's schedule for setting up my connection, postponing the tentative date without notifying me. As a result it took 20 days to get a technician on site (which went smoothly at this point).

Since recently, the connection is very unreliable for unknown reason (again, when contacting support I was told they were not qualified or capable of being aware of an outage). As per my modem, it appears to be an issue from their servers (as opposed to the cable infrastructure). I received valid information from the cable, just cannot connect to servers.

Bottomline, I know they can't do much since they are really far away from physically installing the physical cable, but I really wish they'd work better with their suppliers for giving them more power over the infrastructures. And give the customer support the power to do something, geez. However, when working, the speed is exactly as advertised and bandwidth generous. In which case, very good deal.

Neutral information:

Do know that you are required to buy a modem and pay an initial fee of 85 for the activation, which include a technician visit. I paid the modem (DCM475) from them (100$), which you own after (thank god). My first month, all-fees-included price was 234.49, after which it is 35$ every month for the rest of my life.

Note: I joined DSL Reports after lurking for a long while just to post this as it's been a while I've cumulated small issues with them and thought it'd be great if they could receive some honest feedback (since I wasn't able to deliver it through email or whatnot anyway...).

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Bananabred,

Thank you for this review. I do apologize if there was some delays with installing your services as you know we do have to use another companies technicians and infrastructure, this also includes following any rules or time frames laid out to us by our vendors. We unfortunately do not have a choice in these matters, for this I do apologize. We have been a little behind with our tech emails recently due to the amount of customer interactions we have been receiving and this has delayed some of our responses.
I’m not sure if you know aside from communicating with us through email or the phones, your better option maybe to speak to our Social Media team through the DSLr Direct Forum. We watch the forum everyday and do respond quite quickly and are more than happy to assist in any way we are able to.

I am happy to see that when the service is working you are enjoying it, which is fantastic to see!!
Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey and hopefully we will be seeing you in the Direct Forum for any questions or concerns or comments.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh

Review by ouimet05 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON

My experience with teksavy was a nightmare. They sent a Rogers technician to my home on May 22, a week after I placed the order. He asked me to wait 15 minutes or so to get connection, I waited whole night and nothing. I tried to call teksavy, and waiting time was killing me so I gave up. Next day, I called again, after long waiting, finally went through. A technician asked me to do some trouble shooting, it turns out something wrong with Rogers, so he asked me wait 24 to 48 hours. After weekend, I called again, they asked me to wait another 24 to 48 hours. Two days later, I called again on May 28, still asked me to wait 24 to 48 hours, I decided to cancel, they told me I cannot get my money back until they finished the investigation, and told me problem will be solved with big chance in next 24 to 48 hours. I wait another 2 days, May 30, finally somebody called me and said problem is solved. Unfortunately, when I got home, still same thing, no connection. I called them again, after another long waiting and trouble shooting; they said I have to wait again, so I decided to cancel. They told me I cannot get the activation fee back even though it seems to me nothing is been activated. I asked them how long I should wait, the guy told me he does not know, what a business.

Comments:

TSI Taunia

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I do apologize for the trouble you have had getting your service activated. This is not the type experience we want our customer to have. I would like to look into this further for you. Could you please post your account information in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Taunia

TSI Taunia

Review update

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the direct forum and giving me the opportunity to look into this for you.

I have investigated this further and have replied to you direct post with details of what happened with your account.

Based on what I have discovered I am happy to inform you, that you are entitled to a refund of the activation fee. I have contacted our accounting department to have both the first month and activation fee refunded to you.

I apologize for the experience you have had with Teksavvy. This is certainly not the type of service we want our customer to go through.

If there is any else we can help you with, please let us know.

Taunia
ouimet05

join:2013-05-30
Toronto, ON

Re: Review update

Hi, Taunia,

I just replied to you in direct forum, and I repeat here that I am impressed with the quick response. If teksavy can have the same quick respons over the phone, I will be happy to use teksavy again in future. After all, I had very good experience with teksavy a year ago.

Thanks again,
Min

Re: Review update

Hello Ouimet05,

Thank you for the response. I can assure you were working diligently to decrease the wait times for our customer's while calling us. We do understand it is frustrating to call us currently with the wait times.
We do hope to see you as a customer again in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us.

Ashleigh

Review by Void_Rift See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Unlimited Bandwidth"
Bad "Constant Disconnections without any reliable help"
Overall "Not worth the investment"

Our plan is the 28/1 Unlimited plan, after moving from away from Rogers. My family had Teksavvy for more than a year now, and after 6 months of reliable internet, the internet became completely unbearable. the connections drops every few minutes and takes a long time to get working again. Not only that, the connection speed drastically changes every time, from half the advertised speed to speeds, comparable to a dial up connection. The internet couldn't last half an hour on any time of day without any problems, leaving myself no other way but to seek a more reliable internet option which I can get from my phone tethered to my computer or from a free public hotspot. We had reached help many times in hopes of straightening this out for 4 months now, alternating between help over the phone and scheduled tech support coming over to solve the issue. Both support leaves without any progress.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Response

Hello Void_ Rift,

I’m sorry to hear about your connection issues. I absolutely would like to look into this for you so we can diagnose what is happening. Would you be able to send me your account information in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct ? That way I can look into this a little further for you?

Thanks again

Review by SKBrampton See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "It has been EXCELLENT for 3 to 4 years at my previous address in Brampton in L7A postal code"
Bad "I am only getting the speed of 3 to 7 Mbps download speed but I am subscribed for 18Mbps"
Overall "I am looking for another ISP provider as HelpDesk isn't getting my problem nor investigating my problem"

Since January this year I have been having incredibly slow connection to the Internet even though I have been subscribed to 18Mbps. The speed stays between 3 to 7 mbps and sometime it is even lower than what I said here. I can't load any page when it goes really down.

I called the Teksavvy and talked to someone at the Help desk who had me go through the following: power cycle the modem, had my computer direct connect to the cable modem, had reset / factory reset the modem, had me ping many addresses 50 times and the to send the results to Teksavvy. I was told that there seems to be a problem and they will have Rogers to investigate and also had me book an appointment if a tech needs to visit my place.

Few days passed, no calls back from anyone. I called back and I got someone else who had no clue of what went wrong and no details what I have been through. So I had to go through the same thing again and was told that they will contact me back BUT nothing happened.

Weeks and another week passed, called them back and I got very frustrated. The help desk was still telling me that the problem was not on their end and it was on my end. While I was on the phone with them the download speed came back to normal. When I say normal it usually stays between 18 to 25 or 30 Mbps.

Two months passed and I am back on the same boat again. I have been a happy customer for the last 4 years but it can't stay happy forever.

Please let me know if there's another ISP I can choose (not Rogers or Bell)

Thanks for the understanding.

Comments:
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Alternate ISP's

I recommend Start Communications. So far, my satisfaction with Start is higher than that of Teksavvy. My switchover from Teksavvy to Start was relatively painless, and aside from a few days of downtime (thanks to Teksavvy not releasing the modem I own on the day my service ended with them), it didn't really cost me anything (free installation).

The wait-times in the Start phone queue are smaller too. I have never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes to speak with someone. I've spent more than two hours in TSI's phone queue (total accumulated time over several calls).

I don't think this will solve your problem initially, if it's a node congestion issue. You may be less frustrated with Start's representatives. Inevitably though, I do recommend you vote with your wallet. If TSI isn't working for you, take your money elsewhere.

dslreports.com user ratings:
Teksavvy 6-month rating: 81%
Start 6-month rating: 97%
SKBrampton

join:2013-02-01
Brampton, ON

Re: Alternate ISP's

Tristan, thanks for your support. This is my very first review in my life as I have been frustrated with TSI. I just don't understand why the Help Desk isn't listening to us when we call. Thanks for letting me know about the Start Communications and I have read good reviews about them. I will let you know what I decide.

Thanks again.

Hello SKBrampton,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am truly sorry to see you encountered so many issues since January. For your speeds to drop this much there is definitely something wrong. Could you please provide me in a PM TSI Jonathan See Profile your account information so that we can investigate the issue.

From what you wrote it looks like we dropped the ball a few times and this is certainly not the type of experience we want any of our customers to have to go through. I am unsure as to what exactly happened but do want to find out so that we can either improve our processes or coach the agent(s) you spoke to. We strive to make our customers happy and we certainly don't want to see a loyal customer leave after being with us for 4 years.

Review by zetec452 See Profile

Good "Good price, mostly decent service."
Bad "Growing pains. Lack of communication when things break."
Overall "80% of the time everything is fine."

UPDATE: 19/03/2013. For the second time in two months my connection has been down for over 12 hours. The incident with car accident and fiber is unfortunate but very disruptive. As of today I've had no internet since 8:30pm and as of this morning it is still down. Unfortunately I'm in a position whereby I feel another provider will provide a better service.

Further Edit: It appears this latest issue is the result of DHCP issues. DHCP issues seem to a fairly common to Teksavvy, researching on the forums illustrates DHCP issues for at least 12 months.

UPDATE: 03/2012. Well unfortunately I seem to be having more problems with Teksavvy. My connection will disconnect every 2-4 hours. A very standard ticket response asking if I had TCP/IP installed and whether my computer was installed in it's original location was frankly pathetic. Unfortunately I am losing confidence in Teksavvy's ability to provide a good cable service and am seeking alternatives.

Final reivew of my ticket was to keep an eye on the logs and provide them feedback. No offer of extra help or recognition of any form of problem. Very unfortunate. They have grown too fast and have lost the customer service they are renowned for.

__________________________________________________________________

Teksavvy were really great until recently with issues in the London area (and other areas). They have demonstrated very poor customer communication in dealing with these issues, in which the default answer is "blame Rogers". Customer support has been OK with some long wait times in busy periods.

Teksavvy are going through some growing pains and I hope the management team improve customer communication and business planning as so they can try and avoid the issues recently experienced. It appears that Teksavvy are overselling and having to order upgrades via Rogers causing slowdown's in peak hours. Some stop orders have been seen and while I appreciate new business is key I would hope Teksavvy are forecasting upgrades in a more efficient manner going forward for existing customers.

Upon ordering I was not advised that I would start paying for the service right away. Unaware of this I waited 14 days for my previous internet connection to end prior to starting with Teksavvy. Had I known I was paying for the Teksavvy service anyway I would have requested a earlier installation date.

The order process other than that was concise and professional. Installation went smoothly with a Rogers tech attending site to ensure the cable connection was OK.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Cable woes.

Hello,

Very sorry to hear about your issues.

Would you mind sending me a PM? TSI Martin See Profile

I'll have a look at your situation.

Regards,