TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by bananabread See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap, fast, high bandwidth, no contract, speed as advertised, unlimited bandwidth between 2am-8am"
Bad "Customer service in steep decline, technical support non-existant, took very long time to activate, connection unreliable"
Overall "Wacky customer service & unreliability is leaving a bad taste. As mentionned already, they are suffering some growing pains."

I've been with Teksavvy for a little while (DSL before). I moved in from a DSL service to a cable service, because of speed issues and price. I have the Cable 10 package, which is 35$/mo, tax in which is great. The speed is as advertised and bandwidth generous for the common users (150GB) - you should browse normally and stream casually without worries.

Teksavvy used to be renowned for their support, however they were terrible at addressing the many issues I had when moving. There's many ways to contact them - perhaps too much. I had trouble finding a simple support email address and instead relied on previous email exchanges I had to submit an issue. Often by email my issues were left unanswered. On the phone, the reps are always extremely polite, but due to the company relying on the infrastructure of others, it's impossible for them to provide technical support. And because of that, they're overdoing it during normal support by being overly polite and all (no really it's annoying), but still cannot do anything.

It also seems that every department of reps. is independent and thus I had a hard time talking to the right person (who often told me it was out of their power). Even for basic stuff (cancelling my DSL line) they forgot to cancel it even though it was on the phone and subsequently received a confirmation of order for the next service (thus I was billed for the DSL).

Due to them relying on another cable company (in my case Videotron), they were slaved to Videotron's schedule for setting up my connection, postponing the tentative date without notifying me. As a result it took 20 days to get a technician on site (which went smoothly at this point).

Since recently, the connection is very unreliable for unknown reason (again, when contacting support I was told they were not qualified or capable of being aware of an outage). As per my modem, it appears to be an issue from their servers (as opposed to the cable infrastructure). I received valid information from the cable, just cannot connect to servers.

Bottomline, I know they can't do much since they are really far away from physically installing the physical cable, but I really wish they'd work better with their suppliers for giving them more power over the infrastructures. And give the customer support the power to do something, geez. However, when working, the speed is exactly as advertised and bandwidth generous. In which case, very good deal.

Neutral information:

Do know that you are required to buy a modem and pay an initial fee of 85 for the activation, which include a technician visit. I paid the modem (DCM475) from them (100$), which you own after (thank god). My first month, all-fees-included price was 234.49, after which it is 35$ every month for the rest of my life.

Note: I joined DSL Reports after lurking for a long while just to post this as it's been a while I've cumulated small issues with them and thought it'd be great if they could receive some honest feedback (since I wasn't able to deliver it through email or whatnot anyway...).

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Bananabred,

Thank you for this review. I do apologize if there was some delays with installing your services as you know we do have to use another companies technicians and infrastructure, this also includes following any rules or time frames laid out to us by our vendors. We unfortunately do not have a choice in these matters, for this I do apologize. We have been a little behind with our tech emails recently due to the amount of customer interactions we have been receiving and this has delayed some of our responses.
I’m not sure if you know aside from communicating with us through email or the phones, your better option maybe to speak to our Social Media team through the DSLr Direct Forum. We watch the forum everyday and do respond quite quickly and are more than happy to assist in any way we are able to.

I am happy to see that when the service is working you are enjoying it, which is fantastic to see!!
Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey and hopefully we will be seeing you in the Direct Forum for any questions or concerns or comments.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh

Review by ouimet05 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON

My experience with teksavy was a nightmare. They sent a Rogers technician to my home on May 22, a week after I placed the order. He asked me to wait 15 minutes or so to get connection, I waited whole night and nothing. I tried to call teksavy, and waiting time was killing me so I gave up. Next day, I called again, after long waiting, finally went through. A technician asked me to do some trouble shooting, it turns out something wrong with Rogers, so he asked me wait 24 to 48 hours. After weekend, I called again, they asked me to wait another 24 to 48 hours. Two days later, I called again on May 28, still asked me to wait 24 to 48 hours, I decided to cancel, they told me I cannot get my money back until they finished the investigation, and told me problem will be solved with big chance in next 24 to 48 hours. I wait another 2 days, May 30, finally somebody called me and said problem is solved. Unfortunately, when I got home, still same thing, no connection. I called them again, after another long waiting and trouble shooting; they said I have to wait again, so I decided to cancel. They told me I cannot get the activation fee back even though it seems to me nothing is been activated. I asked them how long I should wait, the guy told me he does not know, what a business.

Comments:

TSI Taunia

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I do apologize for the trouble you have had getting your service activated. This is not the type experience we want our customer to have. I would like to look into this further for you. Could you please post your account information in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Taunia

TSI Taunia

Review update

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the direct forum and giving me the opportunity to look into this for you.

I have investigated this further and have replied to you direct post with details of what happened with your account.

Based on what I have discovered I am happy to inform you, that you are entitled to a refund of the activation fee. I have contacted our accounting department to have both the first month and activation fee refunded to you.

I apologize for the experience you have had with Teksavvy. This is certainly not the type of service we want our customer to go through.

If there is any else we can help you with, please let us know.

Taunia
ouimet05

join:2013-05-30
Toronto, ON

Re: Review update

Hi, Taunia,

I just replied to you in direct forum, and I repeat here that I am impressed with the quick response. If teksavy can have the same quick respons over the phone, I will be happy to use teksavy again in future. After all, I had very good experience with teksavy a year ago.

Thanks again,
Min

Re: Review update

Hello Ouimet05,

Thank you for the response. I can assure you were working diligently to decrease the wait times for our customer's while calling us. We do understand it is frustrating to call us currently with the wait times.
We do hope to see you as a customer again in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us.

Ashleigh

Review by Void_Rift See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Unlimited Bandwidth"
Bad "Constant Disconnections without any reliable help"
Overall "Not worth the investment"

Our plan is the 28/1 Unlimited plan, after moving from away from Rogers. My family had Teksavvy for more than a year now, and after 6 months of reliable internet, the internet became completely unbearable. the connections drops every few minutes and takes a long time to get working again. Not only that, the connection speed drastically changes every time, from half the advertised speed to speeds, comparable to a dial up connection. The internet couldn't last half an hour on any time of day without any problems, leaving myself no other way but to seek a more reliable internet option which I can get from my phone tethered to my computer or from a free public hotspot. We had reached help many times in hopes of straightening this out for 4 months now, alternating between help over the phone and scheduled tech support coming over to solve the issue. Both support leaves without any progress.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Response

Hello Void_ Rift,

I’m sorry to hear about your connection issues. I absolutely would like to look into this for you so we can diagnose what is happening. Would you be able to send me your account information in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct ? That way I can look into this a little further for you?

Thanks again

Review by SKBrampton See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "It has been EXCELLENT for 3 to 4 years at my previous address in Brampton in L7A postal code"
Bad "I am only getting the speed of 3 to 7 Mbps download speed but I am subscribed for 18Mbps"
Overall "I am looking for another ISP provider as HelpDesk isn't getting my problem nor investigating my problem"

Since January this year I have been having incredibly slow connection to the Internet even though I have been subscribed to 18Mbps. The speed stays between 3 to 7 mbps and sometime it is even lower than what I said here. I can't load any page when it goes really down.

I called the Teksavvy and talked to someone at the Help desk who had me go through the following: power cycle the modem, had my computer direct connect to the cable modem, had reset / factory reset the modem, had me ping many addresses 50 times and the to send the results to Teksavvy. I was told that there seems to be a problem and they will have Rogers to investigate and also had me book an appointment if a tech needs to visit my place.

Few days passed, no calls back from anyone. I called back and I got someone else who had no clue of what went wrong and no details what I have been through. So I had to go through the same thing again and was told that they will contact me back BUT nothing happened.

Weeks and another week passed, called them back and I got very frustrated. The help desk was still telling me that the problem was not on their end and it was on my end. While I was on the phone with them the download speed came back to normal. When I say normal it usually stays between 18 to 25 or 30 Mbps.

Two months passed and I am back on the same boat again. I have been a happy customer for the last 4 years but it can't stay happy forever.

Please let me know if there's another ISP I can choose (not Rogers or Bell)

Thanks for the understanding.

Comments:
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Alternate ISP's

I recommend Start Communications. So far, my satisfaction with Start is higher than that of Teksavvy. My switchover from Teksavvy to Start was relatively painless, and aside from a few days of downtime (thanks to Teksavvy not releasing the modem I own on the day my service ended with them), it didn't really cost me anything (free installation).

The wait-times in the Start phone queue are smaller too. I have never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes to speak with someone. I've spent more than two hours in TSI's phone queue (total accumulated time over several calls).

I don't think this will solve your problem initially, if it's a node congestion issue. You may be less frustrated with Start's representatives. Inevitably though, I do recommend you vote with your wallet. If TSI isn't working for you, take your money elsewhere.

dslreports.com user ratings:
Teksavvy 6-month rating: 81%
Start 6-month rating: 97%
SKBrampton

join:2013-02-01
Brampton, ON

Re: Alternate ISP's

Tristan, thanks for your support. This is my very first review in my life as I have been frustrated with TSI. I just don't understand why the Help Desk isn't listening to us when we call. Thanks for letting me know about the Start Communications and I have read good reviews about them. I will let you know what I decide.

Thanks again.

Hello SKBrampton,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am truly sorry to see you encountered so many issues since January. For your speeds to drop this much there is definitely something wrong. Could you please provide me in a PM TSI Jon See Profile your account information so that we can investigate the issue.

From what you wrote it looks like we dropped the ball a few times and this is certainly not the type of experience we want any of our customers to have to go through. I am unsure as to what exactly happened but do want to find out so that we can either improve our processes or coach the agent(s) you spoke to. We strive to make our customers happy and we certainly don't want to see a loyal customer leave after being with us for 4 years.

E-Services Team Leader

Review by zetec452 See Profile

Good "Good price, mostly decent service."
Bad "Growing pains. Lack of communication when things break."
Overall "80% of the time everything is fine."

UPDATE: 19/03/2013. For the second time in two months my connection has been down for over 12 hours. The incident with car accident and fiber is unfortunate but very disruptive. As of today I've had no internet since 8:30pm and as of this morning it is still down. Unfortunately I'm in a position whereby I feel another provider will provide a better service.

Further Edit: It appears this latest issue is the result of DHCP issues. DHCP issues seem to a fairly common to Teksavvy, researching on the forums illustrates DHCP issues for at least 12 months.

UPDATE: 03/2012. Well unfortunately I seem to be having more problems with Teksavvy. My connection will disconnect every 2-4 hours. A very standard ticket response asking if I had TCP/IP installed and whether my computer was installed in it's original location was frankly pathetic. Unfortunately I am losing confidence in Teksavvy's ability to provide a good cable service and am seeking alternatives.

Final reivew of my ticket was to keep an eye on the logs and provide them feedback. No offer of extra help or recognition of any form of problem. Very unfortunate. They have grown too fast and have lost the customer service they are renowned for.

__________________________________________________________________

Teksavvy were really great until recently with issues in the London area (and other areas). They have demonstrated very poor customer communication in dealing with these issues, in which the default answer is "blame Rogers". Customer support has been OK with some long wait times in busy periods.

Teksavvy are going through some growing pains and I hope the management team improve customer communication and business planning as so they can try and avoid the issues recently experienced. It appears that Teksavvy are overselling and having to order upgrades via Rogers causing slowdown's in peak hours. Some stop orders have been seen and while I appreciate new business is key I would hope Teksavvy are forecasting upgrades in a more efficient manner going forward for existing customers.

Upon ordering I was not advised that I would start paying for the service right away. Unaware of this I waited 14 days for my previous internet connection to end prior to starting with Teksavvy. Had I known I was paying for the Teksavvy service anyway I would have requested a earlier installation date.

The order process other than that was concise and professional. Installation went smoothly with a Rogers tech attending site to ensure the cable connection was OK.

Comments:

TSI Martin

No tickets

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback & review. I'd like to first bring up that we have never had the opportunity to open a ticket for your issues.
If you would please continue the troubleshooting we have going with you in the Direct Forum... There hasn't been a conclusion brought up yet.
The TCP/IP properly installed is to ensure that the disconnections aren't related to DHCP being improperly configured on your system. Seeing you test from a router & not a computer, I'd see why this would not be important to you. Asking if modem is it's original location, is to confirm if you've moved something or started using different cables. These are standard questions that may contain more meaning then the eye can see.

Please continue the troubleshooting in the Direct Forum.

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Cable woes.

Hello,

Very sorry to hear about your issues.

Would you mind sending me a PM? TSI Martin See Profile

I'll have a look at your situation.

Regards,

Review by troisquatre See Profile

• Location: H2b
Bad "3 weeks no install"
Overall "Maybe good if I can be installed"

Went online ordered the service the 6 th and ordered for an install on the 14 th.

Called the 14 th asking why I didn't get installed, they said we will get back to you probably the 19 you will get your install date.

Called back the 19 th no date yet they is an issue with videotron call back tomorrow. (my modem serial was not entered correctly)

Called the next day the 20 th we will get you an install date by tomorrow the 21. Called the 21 th please call next week the 27 th ...

So thats more than 6 call just for an install.

People on the phone we're correct not long waiting time but then again I would prefer an install date instead of this waiting and calling for absolutely nothing moving. Will update with better rating as soon as I can test the service.

Comments:

TSI Jon

Hello troisquatre,

I trully apologize for what you had to go through so far and I want to take over from here. I'll make sure you stay up to date and that the information you receive is concrete. Can you please PM me TSI Jon See Profile your account information so that I can get things going for you. I'll make sure that evrything is on track and good to go.

Social Media Relations Team Leader

---

Review by telecia.knight

• Location: L4C2T
Good "Price"
Bad "Service, Customer Service, Long wait times"

I joined Teksavvy due to the affordable prices and reviews of great
customer service. Shortly after joining I was not able to connect. I called
Teksavvy technical support to discuss. The voice recording stated that
they were experiencing connection issues in my area and they were trying
to address the issues as quickly as possible. The recording also mention
how to reset the modem to see if it would resolve the connections issues.
Due to the message provided I disconnected the call and waited for them to fix the issues. I tried reset the modem to no success. Two days following I would reset my modem when I came
home from work I would reset to no success.

On the third day I reset and my internet started to work. I then called
customer service to find out if they would be crediting the account for the
days I was without service. The customer service agent explained that the
issue was resolved that day. I would not be eligible for a credit on my
account as I did not speak to technical support about my loss of service
as a result they are not aware of how many days I was without service.

I asked the rational of advising customer via recording that they are
experiencing service difficulties in their area if the expect them to
remain on the line. He agreed that he understood my rational but it is
beyond his control. I asked to speak to the Customer Service Supervisor.
They stated that the CS Supervisor wouldn't be able to assist as it is
related to a Technical Support.

I spoke with them to no success I attempted to cancel due to the cancel
service and inquired if I could return the modem as I only had it for
approximately 2 weeks in order to reduce my out of pocket cost due to the
up front fees associated with signing up with Tekksavy. Please noted 2
weeks is a reasonable return time for most retailers. She then mentioned a
slew of fees that weren't mention at time of purchase.

The service might be much improved if Teksavvy technical support team
sticks with repairs instead of attempting to following up with Customer
concerns. To make matters worse the speed which I use to get with our
internet has greatly depleted.

Both calls resulted in a 45 minute wait to even speak to an agent.

Do your research, I stay because of the equipment purchased and upfront fees that I would be out off. I have the cheapest internet plan so the credit to my account would of been less than $5. Its not the amount its the mere principle. As a result of their poor service my mother has decided to go with Comwave for internet provider.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

TSI Jon

Your review

Hello telecia.knight,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We definitely appreciate the feedback and I can understand how frustrating that must of been. What I will forward from this review is that we should add in our recording when outages happen that if you are still experiencing issues after 24hrs to contact us again to see if it is still related. If you could PM me TSI Jon See Profile your account information, I would like to use it as an example.

For the wait times, it is something we are aware of and we just hired on 20 more representatives to assist with that and even opened a new office in Gatineau where we will have an additional 12 more representative there for now.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review. It definitely helps us to see where we can do better in the future.

Social Media Relations Team Leader

• Location: Purgato
Good "Hasn't gone down but once every few months"
Bad "1/2 the advertised bandwidth, inept and argumentative support staff,"
Overall "1/2 the advertised bandwidth"

I've been told on numerous occassions that the speeds listed are: "up to"
and that they are legally covered. However, I consistently get 1/2 the
advertised bandwidth and have been told over and over by different reps
that this is perfectly okay. They keep emphasizing "UP TO". I've probably
submitted 20 line speed tickets and none of them has resulted in any action
or change. Add to that the amount of time that you spend on hold and that's
probably 20 hours of my life I'll never get back and half the time they
mess up the ticket. Another thing is how they respond to "updated
tickets". They send out a generic email saying "call us if anything is
still wrong" and of course it always still is, but you have to wait another
hour on hold just to find out that the last rep messed up your ticket.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

JonF

Up to Speeds

Hello,

I would like to take a look at your line to see what I can do for you. Could you please PM me your account OID, CID or phone number so that I may look into this issue for you?

purgato

@reliablehosting.com

Re: Up to Speeds

I've been on the phone probably 50 times. I even bought a different modem at your request. Of all the countless hours of phone and diagnosis time I spent, not once, not once was anything ever done on my behalf.

JonF

Re: Up to Speeds

I do apologize if you feel that you were put through all of this for nothing. I would love to look into this so we can reach a resolution. Please send me your account information and I will personally look into this issue for you.

purgato

@distributel.net

Re: Up to Speeds

Your company has shown me nothing but contempt. I don't believe you will help me. There's no reason for me to cooperate with you.

Re: Up to Speeds

If you'd like to give me the opportunity to call you so we can discuss the situation, it'll be my pleasure to find out what's going on.

Please let me help you as we do take problems of our customers seriously.

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

Review by emmydorie

• Location: L1J1H
Good "Very reassuring"
Bad "Terrible service, understandability, and LIES"
Overall "No one new what they were talking about... refund took 2 weeks"

I called Tek Savvy to install cable internet service in my house.

I set up the account online and pre-paid $219 for the service, installation
and modem. I never received any payment confirmation or indication my
account had been processed, so I called in. I was told no one contacted me
because they were looking to see if my area was serviceable. I was assured
it was, and that I would be receiving confirmation as to when a technician
will come by to install.

Literally the next day, I get a call from Tek Savvy stating that my area
was, in fact, NOT serviceable for cable internet, and that my only option
was DSL, and since I didn't have a house phone line, it was an extra $15 a
month. Needless to say, I was not interested in this and proceeded to
cancel my account. I asked how my refund would be handled, and I was was
told it would come back to me the same way I sent it in, via email. I was
told to expect it in my account within 2 days. 3 days passed and the money
never came. I called in to inquire about the status of my refund, and I
was told that they only issue refunds via cheque, and the cheques only get
written on Fridays. I have to wait 2 weeks for a refund of service that I
never even received.

I AM SO PISSED. This has been the worst experience of my entire life. I
was so looking forward to having Tek Savvy service, so this whole
experience has been disappointing at best. I am embarrassed for them.
It's service and BS like this that send people to Rogers and Bell. Shame
on you Tek Savvy.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: your review

Thank you for your comments. We definitely do not want the sign up experience to be like this. Can you please email your information to sm@teksavvy.com ? I'd like to have a look at the situation and see what can be done.

With regards to the serviceable issue, I'm sorry that things were not clearer. We do have access to many areas, but there are certain areas of Rogers' and Bell's footprints we do not have access to as of yet and that may be what happened in your case. I apologize that this was not communicated to you clearly.

Danielle

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "price, rest TBA"
Bad "No Internet yet"
Overall "TBA"

I joined Teksavvy for the cable 28 pkg on Oct. 26, the same day I cancelled my other cable service. When I signed up, there must of been some miscommunication between the sales rep and I, and the switchover(installation) wasn't as smooth as I expected.
Then a supported modem wouldn't work, so ordered and received Thomson 476 from them.
As of Oct 31, intermittent connection, and about 6 hours now spent on phone with tech support.
Will update and advise on how it goes!

Comments:

TSI Martin

Issues.

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so I may take a look at the issue. You can also contact me via PM TSI Martin See Profile