TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by samboi0 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Good speed when everything is working"
Bad "Hell sets loose when things go wrong, takes forever to fix an issue"
Overall "If you dont heavily rely on internet usage at home and dont mind outage for days, Teksavvy is for you :)"

I got my internet services through Teksavvy, supposed to be activated on 10th september. But then due to some activation issues and the fact that they sent me the wrong modem, they had to resend me the modem and then activation took couple of more days. So despite ordering my internet on the 4th Sep, it got finally activated on 14th september. I thought to myself that maybe the startup took some time but everything will be fine.

Then, two days ago on 1st October, my connection went down again, the upstream (US) LED which was green, had turned blue now. After trying several power cycles myself, I called up customer service. Firstly, it takes forever to get a hold on to a CSR, and afterwards, if they start being rude and blaming me that i am doing something wrong, thats just not right. I couldnt even raise a ticket for it on Oct 1st.

Then on Oct 2nd, early in the morning i called them again, this time the rep wasnt rude, but she took forever to determine that it is a routing issue by constantly asking me traceroute different webpage addresses. I kept patient with her and eventually she provided me with a ticket number.

Oct 3rd today, called up again, and they are telling me the issue wont be looked at until 24 hrs has passed??? Why is that? Is that some kind of mandotary waiting period, again with rudeness they asked me anything else and hung up.

Now, I am seriously considering to switching away from Teksavvy, I had joined this ISP based on the fact that many ppl were speaking of it, both negative n positive, but i still tried to take my chances. Didnt turn out so well, just had 2 weeks of internet service over the past month, and currently there is still no internet at my home (FYI we are heavy internet users at home and rely a lot on connectivity, so it is even more frustrating)

Question is should I just quit Teksavvy?

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: your review

I'm sorry for the bad experience you've had. I'm concerned that you've gotten agents that you've stated were rude. Could you please PM me your account information and I'd like to have a look to see what we can do to resolve this for you.

Danielle

Teksavvy

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Looks like the issue was resolved. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we did anything on our end. Testing done together in our Direct Forum showed no problems. It doesn't look like any troubleshooting was done on our end as there were never any tickets opened.

If you do have any other issues, please don't hesitate to contact us as we're always here to help.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
samboi0

join:2012-10-03
Nepean, ON

Re: Teksavvy

There was a ticket opened actually ref number: 2513686.

And yes the issue did got resolved so I will be quiet for now , if anything else happens, I will be sure to update here. And if nothing else goes wrong, I will mention about that too. Cheers!
samboi0

join:2012-10-03
Nepean, ON
Actually the issue is back, now that I connect it to my router I cannot connect to internet anymore, it seems like only if it is connected to my PC, it works, otherwise, it doesnt.

TSI David
TSI David
join:2007-06-25

Re: Teksavvy

Hi samboi0,

I have replied to your direct thread with a workaround to get this fixed.

David

Review by downtownr See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "It's great when it works but that's not very often."
Bad "Down for 11 days during first month. Noticeable congestion at night."
Overall "If you need reliable service with consistent speeds stick with Rogers."

The initial transfer didn't work out because of poor coordination between TekSavvy and Rogers. As a result, I was down for 3 days. This was after I followed the suggested process as noted in these forums.

This was followed by being down for 11 days after receiving slightly more than 2 weeks of decent service. What I mean by decent is that there was noticeable congestion between 7 and 10pm but not to the point where it was unusable.

I was with Rogers for 11 years, downtime was measured in hours (often less than 1), not days!

Tech Support was brutal. I'm almost certain that most of them don't read the notes or don't know how to read the notes on the account as every time I called in we had to give them all my modem information again. Why is this???

The grass isn't always greener @ TekSavvy. Often times, it's yellow!

Update 9/28

Congestion has gone from noticeable to terrible. No YouTube, no XBOX, only text based web pages load decently...back to the late 90's everyone!

Update 10/15

Absolutely disgusting speeds from 7pm onwards. The internet is unusable for anything other than text based websites. The promised POI upgrade is always just around the corner but from what I gather this has been the case for months now. Just terrible.

Update 9/18/2012

I'm pretty sure they have oversold again. The speed at 6pm is 1.42 Mbps. Thank you TSI for the "excellent" service...

Comments:

TSI Martin

Experience

I can understand how this must of been a frustration event. We seemed to have had issues getting all up & running for you. Even after we were able to connect you, your service still went down. I'm hoping the latest ticket opened with Rogers will fix you internet once & for all.

downtownr

join:2011-08-26

Re: Experience

Been back up since Sunday but now with noticeable congestion at night. I'm not asking for much. I just want the service to work at it's advertised speed.

Re: Experience

I agree these are painful times... We've stopped selling Dupont & Upgrade has been requested. All I have for the info on the Upgrade, is that it's part of our 2nd batch of Upgrades. Which at this point I know doesn't say much but we have ordered it.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: Cable Issues

Rogers doesn't want you to have a pleasant experience with anybody other than them , they'll do anything to keep your business with them . If TSI orders upgrades to avoid these things do you think Rogers is gonna care ?

No Stop Sell

Hello,

In regards to your 9/18/2012 update.

There isn't any reports of congested POI's. If you wouldn't mind posting in the »TekSavvy Direct forum & we may be able to find out more of what's going on.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

D2 or D3 Modem

Crazy Question... Do you have a D2 or D3 modem? If it's D2, I'm willing to bet that is part of your problem...

In the GTA, anything over 10mb should be using a D3 modem, cause the Rogers Network just isn't able to handle single channel Cable inet anymore.

Review by OTIS3 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "They try to create some competition with Rogers and Bell"
Bad "It only works during Off-Peak hours. No evening Gaming or Netflix"
Overall "With not being able to update your modems firmware, steer clear"

TSI Martin does a great job posting in the forums. Too bad its mostly a front to look like good customers service.

If you have any real problems, they are un-willing to help you. Consistently hide behind its Rogers, or its Bell.

All business rely on their vendors, it up to THEM to WORK with them and get things resolved for their customers, not play mediator. Its like bring your car to the dealership and being told, "oh, well, we didn't make that transmission, we'll mediate that getting fixed with supplier for you". What really happens is the dealer takes ownership of the issue, and just fixes the damn problem.

For those that need peak time internet, stay away. Probably good for heavy download during off peak times.

UPDATED:
With the in-ability to update you modems firmware, they have shirked yet another responsibility as an ISP. It is the ISPs responsibility regardless of company policy. It is also clearly defined in the DOCSIS standard.

Expect to have to buy a new modem yearly from Teksavvy to be under warranty and "supported". After being forced into a new modem(or cancelling) because I had continuous disconnections I bought a new modem they offered at a discount. Little did I know it would take more than a week and constant back and forth with them for it to get provisioned.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Unwilling to help?

I am sorry you believe that we are unwilling to help as this is untrue. I supposed that all the information I've discussed and gathered in a attempt to see if we can resolve your local issue isn't satisfactory. If you would like for me to open a single ticket for your issue please let me know & we will see what happens as a result of doing so.

OTIS3

join:2011-09-29

Re: Unwilling to help?

I guess you've forgot that I have a ticket open with both you and Rogers. What's been accomplished in the last 34 days of troubleshooting? Nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that there is an issue. That's what I thought.
mykeywld

join:2002-01-04
Toronto, ON

Teksavvy cable;works great until it doesn't.

I left Teksavvy today after many years of service. I started several years ago with DSL service that brought me a blazing 1.5 mps due to the distance frm the Bell Trunk. This fall I wanted more speed and was about to go with Rogers but saw that Teksavvy now had cable so I went with them. A Rogers contractor showed up,installed the cable ,saw I had service and left. Shortly there after I started what would become two months of intermittant service. Tech support tried lots of things including replacing my modem. It did not solve the problem so another tech was dispatched and ,luckily,he had a clue. He zeroed in on the poor signal to noise ratio and replaced the cable. Everything was fine until Oct 29/2011 at 3 am or so when service dissappeared. I took small consolation in knowing I was not alone;Teksavvy's tech support said there was a service outage in Toronto. This message remained until Mon the 31st. I was told it was a Rogers problem, I also found out Rogers has a separate network for resellers.On Wed I still had no service so I cancelled and went with Rogers. Because I have cable and phone with Rogers the difference between Teksavvy and Rogers is around 4 dollars. Teksavvy is cheaper but they are at the mercy of Rogers who provideds the network. Their Tech support is couteous but the skill level varies from person to person. They are not compensating me for service lost. Final verdict;you get what you pay for.
RayA

join:2010-10-26
canada

Re: Teksavvy cable;works great until it doesn't.

You know what the problem is for you and others who are in the same mindset, you want everything, you want it now and you expect everything to be absolutely perfect. You know what, life isn't perfect (neither is Rogers) and sometimes you need to live with that fact. I am absolutely certain that you would start complaining about Rogers pretty soon if you haven't already started doing so.
mykeywld

join:2002-01-04
Toronto, ON

Re: Teksavvy cable;works great until it doesn't.

I have had no issues with Rogers network in my 21 years using them for TV cable. I am more than satisfied with their telephone service since going with them. I did so because Bell interrupted my service for days and did not credit me as promised. In the same vein after my three months of ineffective tech support at the beginning of my Teksavvy cable experience,I was promised two months free internet by Mr. Phil Rogers.I copy and paste"From the dates I’m seeing here, it looks like your service has been effected since Jan 20th, which works out to about 6 weeks. Although it shouldn’t be a problem whatsoever to tack on an extra couple of weeks as a Thank you for your understanding and patience with us in trying to get this resolved for you." In reviewing my bank statements between March and now,I realize I was not billed for March but billed 73.41 for April. My usual monthly bill is 41.75 including tax.
You are correct in assuming if things go bad with Rogers I will complain . It is my right and duty as a consumer to do so.

·Bell Sympatico
Appreciate that you have included more facts than just opinion (unlike one of your commentator ). A review with rating will help us all. My internet just slowdown suddenly. I am not even on TS Thanks.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

I don't have issues but....

I never have any issues with TSI cable with netflix or any other service... so it's either a local node issue which a DOCIS 3 modem can help.. or the local POI is congested.. but it's not TSI as a whole.

Review by jo207 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "High bandwidth limit"
Bad "Service"
Overall "Customer service has dropped dramatically."

·TekSavvy DSL
The biggest disappoint of all has been their customer service. I had made a call to switch from their DSL service to their Cable service. They had forgotten to cancel the DSL service however and I did not notice that they been charging me both services for almost a year due to automatic payments. I had requested for a refund on the DSL service and dealt with 3 managers and all have failed to prove that any of this was my fault. Yet, they refuse to grant the refund.

I have been a customer of Teksavvy since they were a very young company. I was initially pleased by their prices, customer service reps, and connection reliability but more recently, I have been very disappointed with Teksavvy on all aspects.

They could have kept my business for years to come had they granted the refund (though miniscule to a growing company like Teksavvy) but I guess they are willing to lose more money in the long run. I have since cancelled all services with Teksavvy. I am just glad there are still competitors out there that seem more promising than Teksavvy.

Comments:

Tx

question

I have to address the elephant in the room...

How did you go a year without noticing a charge of $30-50 a month?

I'm not excusing their mistake if it was or wasn't for not cancelling DSL for you but i'm seriously curious

Re: question

Automatic payments, don't really check invoices that come in via emails as it had been very consistent over the years previous to the service change-over.

I agree, I should have checked sooner. But trusting Teksavvy at the time to make the cancellation was very easy to do because of the experience I had with them early on.

·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by jo207:

automatic on credit card or bank? Either way i monitor my credit card and bank like a hawk, so i guess that's why i mainly ask. Every cent that leaves has a job so it's not like $10 was taken and easily missed.

What solution did they offer or none?

2 edits

Re: question

Automatic on credit card, very easily missed transaction among other purchases on the card (i.e groceries, gas, etc.)

Not much help in terms of solutions, they said they would review the recording when the change-over request had been made but could not "find it" and therefore will not grant the refund. If they can't prove that it was my mistake, and clearly my whole purpose of doing the change-over was to cancel DSL for cable, then why should I pay for their mistake?

I don't typically go online to write reviews on anything, but I just had to write this review on Teksavvy because of this experience. You can tell I have been a member for years here and have just logged in now just to write this review.

spock

join:2012-07-08

Re: question

No offense but if I was you I would read every credit card statement you get every month and check it for odd transactions. Last Christmas I had 10 small random charges on my card. They were so random and only in the 40-50$ range I never noticed them. One of the transactions caught my eye and thats when I noticed the rest. Apparently my card was copied and being used around town.

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Service overlap

Hello there,

First off allow me to say that we do have some customers who have both DSL and Cable service active with us. Some do this because they work from home and want a backup connection in case there are any outages. Others surely have their own reasons. We do not make assumptions on behalf of our customer and typically the customer should give us a call once the new service is working properly if they wish to cancel their current service.

With that being said though, this obviously should have been explained to you when the order for cable service was made. Now, if you have already spoken to management multiple times I can make no guarantees here, but if you can message me your account info, or post it here: »TekSavvy Direct I'd like to look into this for you one more time.

TSI-Keith

Re: Service overlap

I understand that some customers have both DSL and cable as it was their request. There was no need to make assumptions for me as my request was simple really, cancel DSL and install cable. I did not call just to make a request for cable and expect to cancel DSL on a separate call. I was fine with a minor service interruption during the change-over. Regardless, I do not recall being advised to call back for the cancellation. Also, I was under the impression that Teksavvy was capable of coordinating a cancellation and installation simultaneously as both connections were Teksavvy services.

As well-meaning the managers and staff have been, they have not been able to help. However, I do appreciate you looking into this matter.

Review by behrouzef See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Bad "Extremely Angry"
Overall "If service does not change i will go back to rogers along with all the people i helped switch over."

I am very angry and unsatisfied with the service and quality of teksavvy for the whole time i have been a customer, when i had rogers i was getting 12 - 15 Mbps allways never any lower even at peak times, now that i have teksavvy, im paying for 15 Mbps which now they changed it to advertise as 18Mbps on their site and what do i get? on average i get .5 Mbps to 4 Mbps which is lower than their basic cable 24.95 service most of the time, and thats just the beginning,, i have been doing multiple tests on a daily basis and my ping and quality tests all ways every single time are either an E or F grade which is very concerning, significant packet loss and line delays.. and the speed im getting is not worth 40 plus tax at all, i am getting scammed to the max.

when it comes to getting their money they are very strict and to the point but when it comes to people getting ripped off they dont care, their customer service reps are rude and do not show any sign of caring for the customers or the company, i dont know if they are slaves that dont get paid or if they just hate their jobs but they are not representatives of the company in any way, its like talking to some random person about your issues.

If i dont start getting what im paying for i will demand a refund for the duration of my service that i have been paying 40 plus tax for 15 - 18 Mbps and instead getting .5 - 4 Mbps..

i will give it another month and see if this continues, if nothing improves i will look up exactly when i should cancel so that they cant charge me for another month and i will just sign a contract with rogers or bell. AT LEAST THERE I LOSE 5 DOLLARS HERE AND 2 DOLLARS THERE, BUT EVER SINCE I HAVE SWITCHED TO TEKSAVVY I AM LOSING 30 DOLLARS EVERY MONTH BECAUSE THIS SERVICE WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE EVEN UNDER THEIR BASIC CABLE SERVICE FOR 24.95

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1862243···G][/URL]

member for 2 years, 4 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:
behrouzef

North York, ON

update

at 12:34 am !!!!!!!!!!!!! this is every day and night not just peak hours

Re: update

8 374 ms 492 ms 837 ms willy.teksavvy.com [206.248.147.105]

Trace complete.

Help

Hello,

If you could please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile There looks to be something wrong. Please allow us to look at what is wrong.

Re: Help

Ok i Sent you my name and number, do i still need to repost in the direct forum?

Review by rjej123 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "The reliability of the service"

I've been with Teksavvy since April 2009 and used to be a very happy customer.

As many others, I started having big problems with my Internet speed a few months ago. Every evening 1-2 Mbps instead of 24 Mbps. I've been patient for a long time, but I finally decided to start "solving" the problem. Countless phone calls to the Support, the same investigation steps every time, new and shiny ticket with Rogers every day. I finally asked if I could get the discount for my service being so slow for a long time ? The answer was NO.

Finally, I decided to cancel my service. The lady from the cancellation department was very nice and asked me if I would like to switch to DSL instead. I said fine, but I need to try it for a few days or week because I used to have problems with the DSL. The answer was NO. You cannot try. You need to buy the new service. Ok, but can I at least have the installation fee waived for being your customer for a long time, referring so many people to you and now switching ONLY because YOU have problems with delivering me the service as promised ? Guess what the answer was: NO !

She managed to convince me to try "the best" technician they had to fix my issue after promising me that I could cancel my service at any time and I would stop paying immediately if that didn't work. I agreed, but of course again the technician-magician didn't fix the problem. Because of that delay, caused by the cancellation department, my next billing cycle has started and when I asked for the immediate cancellation and refund of my money for the unused period, the answer was... NO ! I can cancel my service at any time, but they don't refund my money, even if I don't have the service anymore. I'm stuck until the end of March.

Come on, guys ! Even Rogers refunds the money for the days you didn't use.

I can believe some Teksavvy problems are related to Rogers network problems, but what I've recently experienced proved Teksavvy has a huge problem with the customer service. How can you answer NO to every single question ? It seems the customer doesn't have any value to the company at all.. I tried to support Teksavvy for a long time. Not anymore.

Comments:
ninithepug

congrat, bud!

finally someone has EXACT same experience with me, I canceled two days late into the month, got charge for entire month, for 1.5 m on my 24m line, no refund, no credit, no waive any fee.

exactly!! I just feel teksavvy dunt care their customer, at all, even Rogers is better than them.

Review by ninithepug See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Relative cheap if you do download a lot"
Bad "Terrible Terrible Terrible customer service"
Overall "IF everything went well, you are lucky, if you need help, there simply isn't any, you are on your own"

To anyone want to signup with teksavvy, mind you, if the service is working, you are good, if not, you on your own, do not expect any help, and.. watch your billing cycle

I signed up with 24m cable service, early last month (Feb 11) speed turns to 100k when I download, start calling them, do all kinds of test, creating tickets every day until (Feb 22) I finally giveup since support guy tells me rogers tell them my modem should have signal. for god sake, I've been calling them for 10 times and they still didn't figure out it is slow speed I am suffering not the signal.

So later I ask around, eventually someone here tell me my area is 'stop sell, the fix will start in April'. I just don't trust teksavvy again. but I made a mistake I didn't call right away to cancel.

Called in today, was told my billing date is Feb 28, the march payment was already charged. So I ask, it is not fair to charge me for March since I am getting not even 10% of the speed what I suppose to get from Feb. the support guy told me he cant do anything, start transfer me back and forth between customer service and tech, an hour later (I swear this is how long it takes ) a customer service supervisor talked to me said since this is a prepaid service and I am getting signal all the time, they can't refund anything for both Feb and March. Ok, I understand you may not refund me a penny for Feb, but for March this is just the 2nd day and i just dont understand why cant teksavvy immediately cancel me and refund the rest.

It's not cheap to start with teksavvy, spend $100 to get the modem, another 60 for activation, bumped up the price last month, having paid all this, Teksavvy have no support, does not care their customer at all.

I am so sad at teksavvy...I do not recommend teksavvy service at all, it is a gamble, if it works, you are good, otherwise, do not count on the help...since there is just not any. Oh, watch your billing cycle, since it is a 'prepaid service'.

Comments:

KevinAndrets

Just par for the course

Teksavvy has fallen a long way... I have just cancelled my service with them and will be moving soon. Sorry bit $70 a month for no better than 5Mbps is a disgrace. What a disorganized and scamming company.

join:2012-02-14

Re: Just par for the course

Exactly, just checked my last month bill, $59 something! this is not cheap, at all, consider the service received and their customer care quality

Better Experience.

I'm very sorry to have to hear your experience wasn't good. I'm not certain of what occurred in your situation, so I extend a hand in an attempt to understand what happened. Please fee free to contact me via pm TSI Martin See Profile so we can discuss this further.

Re: Better Experience.

IM sent

Re: Better Experience.

Teksavvy just replied, basically they cannot do anything about this. Anyway, I already canceled them, I rather pay more to get a quality service...

Tks user

Teksavvy bad service

I agree 100% with the comment above. Tecksavvy is good when their up but when their not you cannot rely on their technical support, they simply cant do anything about your problem.

Rogers, who sells the servers to Tecksavvy, simply gives the customer the "illusion" that the service is better with its higher bandwith but as soon as you switch over they cut the servers. Doesnt matter who you're with, Rogers or Tecksavvy, because their both going to screw you over in the long run !

Cheers.

Re: Teksavvy bad service

agree. that's why I am trying bell for now..

Review by tonytoronto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Ah, yeah before they were great"
Bad "Greed, horrible hold times, cs sucks."
Overall "No longer recommended, stay away."

Well, they were the best in the business, they have turned into one of the worst.overselling seems to be the new way doing business, it's got to the point wind data service faster and more reliable. Not sure what happened to them, but seems greed as taken over. customer service hold times brutal, the more they oversell the more people will call. The thoushounds of people say they wired will never be enough when service has gone to shit the way it has. 15mb payed service to get 1-2 mb at best, at times can't even load simple websites. From one that religiously recommended them, now asking you stay away. Until they change the way they do business, look somewhere else. Blaming Rogers no longer works, it's your network, you the one sending me invoices, not Rogers. It's not the local node that's congested, my neighbor has no problems hitting 50mb when I can even surf the web.

Comments:

Tx

damn

Edit: I was in a bad mood and wrote on my own feelings lol. 8 of my servers went down and then trying to write is a bad idea.

So i removed my post
Subashan

join:2011-09-19

Not Recommended!

TekSavvy is not what it used to be. For anyone who is reading this, please stay way if you want to watch even 360p videos on youtube without buffering for like 1 min!!!!!
priyen

join:2009-12-23

Re: Not Recommended!

i struggle to watch youtube videos at night too also on Acanac cable..[at night] [sept 25th 2011 7 35pm] what options are there left?
ahm2307

join:2011-08-16

Re: Not Recommended!

Honestly? None! We just have to live it. We live in one of the richest and most prosperous countries on earth, and Teksavvy/Acanac are the best we will ever pull off.

And really, why keep switching? It costs you money every time and it requires you to take a few hours off-work just so some guy can tinker around in a box in your apartment building then leaving 10 minutes later...and it's ALL garbage.

^ This is not a product of anger by the way, this is a realization I had way after I accepted that Teksavvy is as bad as the rest of them.

tonytoronto

join:2007-10-31

Re: Not Recommended!

But that's the thing, they weren't! You could call and talk to someone in less than 3 phone rings that was able to help you, now you waiting hours on end for someone to read you a script. Not sure why they decided to go this way, but it's not helping them one bit. They will keep blaming Bell and Rogers, but at some point they will have to admit this they own doing, they know full well how long it takes for upgrades to happen, they should plan accordingly. Its more based on greed now, lets signup as many as we can, knowing full well they can't serve them. Humm, that's out of a page Bell's book.

Chuck sTruck

I still blame Rogers

Until Rogers lets the moths out of the wallet and actually spends money i will always blame Rogers. One has only to look at cable internet in the rest of the world and nearly keel over at how bad Rogers runs things in this country.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Re: I still blame Rogers

How can you blame Rogers when its TK's network that the customer is connecting to? TK provides and pays for the bandwidth those customers use on the cable network. They have NOTHING To do with Rogers except for the last mile and the switching equipment to make it possible for the POI.

TK issues a stop-sell for cable - yet they still keep signing people up. And there is SOLID proof of that here on BBR. TK is only about the $$ and nothing else anymoe. There was a time that i could say it would be interesting to see them do business in the US but not any more.

Review by droos99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "It was working fine for about 6 months"
Bad "Worst customer service ever"
Overall "Do not use these guys - such a pain to deal with"

I have been using Teksavvy cable for just over 6 months. Initially the install coordination was a bit of trouble and it seemed it took weeks to get a slot. Initially the speeds were considerably slower than advertised - promised 12 Mbps but was only getting around 3. After a week or so the speeds increased and I didn`t really have many issues until the last 2 weeks.

And the last 2 weeks were so frustrating I decided to cancel the service, this company has no concept of customer service. My internet initially went down on October 28th and I spent an hour troubleshooting with a tech rep until I actually had to get off the phone becuase I had to be somewhere. The next day I find out that there was an outage effecting large parts of Toronto.

Monday night I call back and the outage in Toronto is fixed but I still have no internet - I call back and go through all the troubleshooting again, another 45 minutes on the phone, this time the tech thinks it is a DHCP problem and must contact Rogers. The tech tells me that they will contact me over the next 48 hours to give me an update if the service has not been restored.

Wednesday night and no call. I call back and find out that Rogers has replied and said that they found nothing wrong. So the tech does another 45 minutes of trouble shooting with me. He thinks it is a DHCP problem, again. Sends the ticket back to Rogers again. This time he tells me to call back in 2 days to see if there is an update.

Call Back friday - Rogers has provided an update - it will be another 2 days. The tech tells me to call back Sunday if service isn`t restored. Sunday comes and goes and no service.

Service is finally restored Monday night (tonight) and I call to see what type of credit TekSavvy will offer. Although my service has been down for 11 days the tech initially only offers a 7 day credit. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold. 5 minutes later the tech comes back and says that as a courtesy they will give me the 11 days credit. I ask if they will provide any further credit for the inconvenience of the service interruption and having to spend so much time on the phone with them. He won`t. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold for 5 minutes. Tech returns and says he is connecting me to a supervisor. 34 minutes pass and I decide to call into Teksavvy on my other line.

The sales guy gives me the same run around and won`t let me talk to a supervisor.

I had to cancel my service. These guys don`t care about the customer at all - when there is a problem with Rogers they just sit on their hands and don`t do anything. Plus they will not do anything to make the customer happy. All I wanted was an additional week comped. I had to cancel just for the principle of this exercise in frustration.

This never happened when I was with Rogers.

Save yourself the headache - take a pass on TekSavvy

Update - Feb 10

I ended up staying with TekSavvy only to see their speeds drop drastically in recent weeks. Paying for 12 MBPS and getting 1 on a regular basis is pretty terrible. After paying for the installation and modem Teksavvy is turning out to be pretty terrible value.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Credits

I'm sorry that the credit for your down time wasn't enough in your eyes. We are a prepaid service & so we provide credits on downtime. I understand you went through a frustration time during the time your service wasn't working but all credits are applied in the same similar fashion.

droos99

join:2011-11-07

Re: Credits

The frustration wasn't necessarily form the down time.

It was dealing with the irrational CSRs you have. I spent over a half hour on hold while "waiting" to speak to a supervisor. I am pretty sure your CSR was just going to leave me on hold indefinitely.

Re: Credits

I would have to listen to the call to see what happened. Please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile & I'll see if this is a coaching opportunity.

Re: Credits

In all fairness, I hope droos99 will get credits not only for downtime but also for the emotion he endured, out of good will of company.
I plan to buy TS starter kit for cable (Scarborough). I call TS sales line and be assured with a very courteous rep. that my area (given postal code) is good to proceed (i.e: no stop sale).
Martin, I have a couple questions for you. Can you please confirm this: I will buy the TekSavvy Extreme Cable starter kit (with the DOCSIS 3.0 Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16) but will only order the Express Cable or Lite Cable service. Will it work? Secondly, I never had cable internet but do have Rogers cable TV, is it necessary for a Rogers tech to come? (don't want to waste a work day to wait for a tech who may or may not come in my house). Thanks you.

said by sas:

You can buy the kit, but on the 2nd month only will you be able to change the service to Express or Lite. There will be a $5 Change of service fee.
said by sas:

Yes it will be necessary for a Tech to go, but it will be a 3 hour window not a full day.

Re: Credits

Martin, thanks for the reply. Depend on when the "3 hour" window is allocated in the day, it could be full day or at best half a day off work. Another question: If after I got a fully operational TS cable internet, I decided to cancel Rogers cable TV but keep TS cable internet, is it possible? If so, will it affect the quality of the internet connection in anyway (reliability, speed, availability, etc.)? Thanks.

Re: Credits

Dispatches are performed on these time slots.

AM 8-11
MID 11-2
PM 2-5
EVE 5-8

If you cancel your TV subscription, all that will stop is your TV service everything else should remain the same. It's always good to notify Rogers that your currently are using a TPIA Cable internet service. There have been times when Rogers puts filter on Cable that cuts all services. So we then need to get Rogers to send a new tech out to fix your Line & remove filter they've installed.

Review by vitamin_d See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick response"
Bad "Inneffective response"
Overall "Not as good as they have been and getting worse."

I moved from Rogers to TSI and for several months all was well, so much so that I became a big advocate for them.

Nov 13 2011 - DHCP issues began. I was unable to get connected as an IP address was not being allocated by my modem.

I understand that the cause of the problem is Rogers, but the way this issue has been handled by TekSavvy has changed my opinion of them completely.

After 3ish weeks of calling regularly (almost every day, sometimes twice a day) for updates and using the TekSavvy direct support forum I had had enough.
I called up and asked for a temporary DSL connection because the Internet service that I rely on TSI providing me over cable was non-existant and I could no longer afford to spend time chasing them up for a solution.

Now they have managed to get the DSL connection wrong as well. Further delays, further cost and still no end in sight.

I'm still sticking it out because I hope that TSI can live up to their reputation, but right now they are falling at every hurdle.

Will update this review when/if there is any change in my situation.

UPDATE:

After spending almost an hour speaking to various representatives from customer service and technical support I thought I had finally got through to someone who had taken ownership of this issue and was going to get things resolved. He assured me that he would make a few calls and get back to me shortly. 24 hours later, no calls.

I have had to call again, and have now been on the phone for another 35 minutes and have gotten nowhere.

All I am asking for is a reliable internet connection and now, some compensation for the hours I have spent on the phone over the last 3.5 weeks, but it seems that no-one as TekSAvvy can make this happen.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Sent you a PM

I've sent you a PM regarding the ticket we are working on to get your service back up.

Chatham, ON

I've attempted to contact you

But haven't heard of any news from you.

I work escalations but if you don't let me help you... I can't do anything for you. So when you are ready to contact me, please feel free to do so.
vitamin_d

join:2011-11-14

Re: I've attempted to contact you

I have called customer services and technical support numerous times. Today and yesterday I have spent over 2 hours speaking with several of your colleagues.
I have now been promised a call back from a manager named Andre. I have been waiting since 10:45 AM.

In a nutshell I have been without reliable cable internet since the 13th Nov and TekSavvy have not been able to provide a definitive date when this will be resolved.

Prior to this I have been very happy with TekSavvy, recommending them to anyone in the market for Internet service. Unfortunatly when problems arise TekSavvy fails miserably.

There are two main reasons for my frustration.

Firstly, the issues stemming from Rogers node splitting. I am fully aware that the underlying cause for the technical issues that impacting me are due to Rogers. But, I do not pay Rogers nor do I have any communication with them regarding my Internet. I have chosen to trust TekSavvy to provide my Internet service.

Since the initial problem began around Nov 13th I have patiently been calling in for updates, calling in to report issues (going through lengthy trouble shooting steps each time) and waiting for updates. I haven't measured it exaclty but I am sure I have spent 6+ hours on the phone trying to get this fixed.

Secondly, in order to have a reliable, comparable, connection the only choice I had (apart from leaving TekSavvy) was to sign up for DSL - not something I really wanted to do as there is a $99 set up fee and the cost is $67 a month. A supervisor named Kelly said that he can provide a discount of $20 for my trouble on top of any credit I would be receiving for the cable internet issues.

When calling in to TSi tech support to report yet another issue with my cable internet I asked for an update on my DSL application and I am told that is has been rejected due to the number not being recognized. This stemmed from the fact that my telephone services are provided by Rogers, not Bell. During the tiem of application all I was asked when going through the application process was if I had a regular phone, to which I replied yes.

The rejection of the appilcaton has led to further delays and I have now been informed, higher cost. A higher cost for a service that I initially thought was expensive and I don't really want, but am forced to subscribe to in order to get a reliable connection.

After all this I spoke to manager today named Matt who offered my a discount on the DSL connection (again, which I don't really want but due to unreliable cable internet I am forced to subscribe to) totalling $28. I don't think this is enough and am now waiting for Andre to call me to discuss options.

I value my time, between family, work and other obligations I don't have much left.

It is quite apparent TSI doesn't value me or my time, $28 compensation for 6+ hours of my time works out to $4.67 an hour at most.

I am sorry Vitamin_D,

It has been a busy day I will be calling you in the next 10 minutes.

Thanks,

Andre

Hello,

I just tried calling and I got your vm.

I will try calling you in 15 minutes.

Thanks,

Andre
vitamin_d

join:2011-11-14

Ready when you are.

said by vitamin_d:

Ready when you are.

Don't forget to email me