TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by randar007 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "$39.70 more in my pocket each month."
Bad "No concern, caring, ownership, explanation or resolution of my slow speeds"
Overall "If it isn't resolved by 2012 I am quitting Teksavvy."

Over 6 months of 2 meg speeds on a 14 meg profile without any resolution. I know see that I have to provide my own "resolution" to my slow speed issue.

member for 2.9 years, 13 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Speeds

Hello,

Are you still having these issues?

If so, Please PM me your accounting details. I would like someone to investigate again.

Andre

Re: Speeds

Here is my latest speed test as of June 19th...nothing has changed. I was also recently gaming with a friend who is on Cogeco cable on Park Ave (same speed cable as I have) as he was blazing while I am still no better off then when I had my terrible 5 meg dsl service

Sorry here is the url
»www.speedtest.net/result/1348432269.png

Re: Speeds

I thought Teksavvy and Cogeco were suppose to have done the upgrades by now? Has this happened? I have a 14 meg service and am barely getting 5 meg. I took the speed test at 11:30 am.

Hello,

Here are my Cogeco Cable results (16megs)
I have my kid watching youtube in a playlist... & I have Torrents running as uploads.

Detroit

Toronto

If you still have issues, please let me know so we can do some testing. Contact me via PM TSI Martin See Profile or by posting in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum.

Martin
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: Speeds

Here is my latest pathetic readings at 1:25 pm on a Monday (no one else is home, no torrents running, just Firefox) »www.speedtest.net/result/1434051055.png
Wtf am I paying for a 14 meg service that is suppose to have a decent ping? I want to call tech support, but I dont need the merry go round hassle. Where are the upgrades they told me about?

TSI JoelM
join:2011-04-22

I'd like to help.

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear this, not that it makes a difference I'm sure. I really hope we get an update from Cogeco soon as to when these upgrades will be completed. I've looked at all of your speed tests and read all of the notes on the account in regards to this situation and I understand your frustration.
We really do want to help and we really do want you to have the speeds that you desire. I know you've heard this several times before, but can you send me a PM about this? I would like to work with you to see if we can find some sort of middle ground until the upgrades are complete.

TSI Joel - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: I'd like to help.

anytime is good.
Randy
cid111
»www.speedtest.net/result/1513400191.png

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Not Rogers"
Bad "Unstable speeds, downtime, bad speeds ...expensive ...bad speeds"
Overall "Its not Rogers ...?!!!!"

Teksavvy is awesome, if you can think of something you want out of an ISP Teksavvy will deliver. Unless they are restricted of course. I have no complaints about them.

The only reason I have this a lower rating for Install Co-ordination was because Rogers failed to show up. Fully 100% Rogers fault. Teksavvy was nice enough to call me and let me know they were not going to show, Rogers was not so nice to inform me.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be with teksavvy? Why pay Rogers for half the service twice the price?

UPDATE: It has almost been a year, and I've experienced a few issues here and there with being disconnected. I did at one point go a few days without internet because there was an issue where they ran out of IP addresses. This was annoying say the least and it took awhile for me to actually get in contact with support. However the problem was resolved later.

Also I often get very very very slow speeds, I would say I get around 2mb/s connection speed. I play online games and I would say 40% of the time I experience really bad lag and find it hard to play online.

Overall Teksavvy isn't so bad, but I've had a bad experience, I would like to see why my connection is so bad and people I know in my area or in other areas that have Teksavvy have no issues. From what I've been told I'm on the Dupont POI and it has issues, which if this is true I'm disappointed that I'm one of the affected customers by this.

UPDATE #2: Just over a year and I have to say the service just gets worse and worse. I've now downgraded my service to the 12M one, as I never got past 10mb/s on speed tests. I've had horrible speeds, and lots of bursts. While playing games sometimes I'd have very bad lag, other times it was fine. Overall I didn't feel it was worth paying more for getting less. Even after changing services I stll get HORRIBLE speeds, past few days I've been doing speed tests and average about a 5M connection sometimes it goes up to 8 but thats not enough.

UPDATE: I've edited the ratings to reflect overall, recently it takes a week for teksupport to reply, and the few times I tried to call I was on hold too long and gave up. The connection is horrible, and its not very reliable at these speeds and the fact they had so many problems with the dupont POI which I was on. Also at these prices we should be getting way better internet, it sucks Canada is 10 years behind.

Comments:

fz

@speakeasy.net

Cable Installation

I don't have cable service. Does the Tech need drill a hole to run cable inside of my house?

Zennith
The Way Of Zen

join:2002-08-27
Toronto

Re: Cable Installation

For you yes I already had the cable on the floor ready to go
Maybe One Day the Internet Fairy God will save us all.

Dupont POI

I understand how this is all very frustrating. I know by being on the Dupont POI isn't working very well these for a lot of folks. Not only have we done a stop-sell but there seems to be local issues as well. I must say tho that you don't seem to be as affected as some other customers I've.

Hopefully we can get some quick resolutions from Rogers in the area.

Review by thanos750 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better Caps"
Bad "Unusable speeds after 7pm"
Overall "Paid for 24/1 got 1/1"

Modem delivered on time. Installation was fine. Speeds are terrible. They blame Rogers but unfortunately I'm not paying Rogers I'm paying Teksavvy. Had to go back to the competitor for same price of 24/1 just a lower cap. Consider joining when they fix their POI issues which have been going on now for literally months. I gave them 2 months to get this in order to no avail. They completely acknowledge the issues and are very upfront and apologetic about it but just try asking for some type of refund...oh no no no...just like everyone they hide behind some clause about 'up to speeds'.

So long.

Comments:
Snarf Bailey

join:2011-08-20
York, ON

re:Teksavvy review

If you do a bit of research, and I wish I had before ever getting mixed up with Teksavvy, you'll find that they have been making the same excuses since 2007. It's Rogers' fault, it's Bell's fault, we're growing so fast we can't keep up but we're hiring new people and training them as fast as we can. We're doing everything we can to ensure that our customers are getting the best experience that they can. Strangely, even though they claim to be doing everything that they can, even though they claim to be hiring people as fast as they can and training them as fast as they can, and even though they have fanboys by the boatload run amok in the dslreports forums, the sad truth is that the only thing that has changed since about 2007 is the amount of customers that they have and the amount of traffic that dslreports is seeing chatter from discussing Teksavvy.

If Teksavvy's goal was to put a dent in Rogers' or Bell's business, enough so that Rogers and Bell took notice well I would say that perhaps they achieved that but it served no positive purpose for Teksavvy. All that has happened is that on one hand Bell is dropping their drawers in price to entice people to go with them and for under $50 tax inc. for Bell's Fibe 25 with 25 MB/s down and 7MB/s up and 205GB of monthly data transfer with no BS peak usage plummeting speeds and on the other Rogers is offering deals as well. On top of that Rogers is dragging their feet and not upgrading POIs for Teksavvy so teksavvy customers and customers for other companies like Telehop for example are being screwed royally for trying to give the independents a shot. You can only give the little guys so much of a shot. We work hard for our money and we don't have unlimited funds with which to wage war on the incumbents and we shouldn't be expected to. When it comes right down to it all that can be expected of any consumer is that they should go wherever the best deal is and there is absolutely no way anyone can make any logical argument that Teksavvy has the best deal right now given the shoddy customer service/tech support and the horrid reliability when it comes to speeds and their habitual overselling of capacity on the POIs when they know how f'ing long it takes Rogers to do the upgrades.

My only question is how much longer people will hang on with Teksavvy and the other 3rd party companies, because none of them are any better, before they all jump ship back to the incumbents. Of course it won't take all of them to jump ship to put the 3rd party boys out of business but unless things change in a big hurry that where this mess is headed.

Anthing

I can do to look into this, please let me know. Feel free to post in »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile

Re: Anthing

No worries Martin one of your fine co-workers Shawn already replied with "Best of luck and I wish we could have done more." I'm assuming TSI has no need for customer retention since you oversubscribed anyways.
downtownr

join:2011-08-26
·TekSavvy Cable

said by thanos750:

TSI doesn't care about retention. When you tell them you're thinking of leaving they respond with "okay, we took the activation fee + cost of modem" already, go ahead"

Re: Anthing

That is a lousy business model when a company is looking for scraps like a $20 activation fee and a couple bucks on the market up of a modem. I hope that isn the case. TSI is simply just a mom and pop shop that is at the mercy of the big boys. Go with the big boys. TSI is obivouosly letting customers down and of course the effects will be felt.

Martin...

Unless you can fix Dupont by Oct 30th or offer some time of refund on this crappy service then although I appreciate the offer of help i don't think you can really do anything.

Review by iMPLiCiT See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast during off peak hours"
Bad "1 mbps download at night time (most important time)"
Overall "DO NOT GO WITH TEKSAVVY TILL THEY GET THEIR ISSUES SORTED OUT."

Missed original installation call and had to wait another week or so extra to get it installed...

Fast during the day, slow as hell (.5 - 3 mbps) after about 4 PM. Extremely disappointed. Will be cancelling if it stays like this. Not the only person in Guelph to have these issues either, so its not an isolated incident.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

It is unfortunate about the missed call for your dispatch & this was escalated to you.

Guelph POI doesn't reach 40% during peak times. I've search our accounts & found 2 other TekSavvy cable users in your area. Those users have never called us for an issue. We are currently attempting to troubleshoot with you on the Direct Forum.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by TSI Martin:

Not sure the right approach would be to publicly discredit a customers accusations with a search of customer complaints and congestion in his area.

Food for thought lol
Bwareofmeh

join:2011-10-19
Tilbury, ON

Re: .

Well he basically looked at the area and said that no issues...
So he just doesnt want the customer to bash "false information"..

Would make sense if the POI was overwhelmed... but this case shows other users have no issues..

And they are trying to resolve the issue with him, which is a good thing

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Bwareofmeh:

Well he basically looked at the area and said that no issues...
So he just doesnt want the customer to bash "false information"..

And they are trying to resolve the issue with him, which is a good thing

One thing for a customer, another for a business. Customers aren't required to remain professional. Customers sometimes act like children and business needs to remain professional.

TSI has nothing to defend. Publicly discrediting a customer is actually far more harmful then letting a ranting customer go. There are far more happy with TSI then there are unhappy.

This is not my way of saying TSI is failing at things though as they do have to pickup in areas.
iMPLiCiT

join:2011-09-19
Cambridge, ON
I can assure you this is not an isolated incident, there are at least 10+ people with the exact same symptoms as me. I pay for service, I expect to receive said service.

Review by neuromancer1 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Great prices,truthful sales department,300GB Cap,not Rogers or Bell."
Bad "Tech support has no control over tech issues and doesn't care to resolve them,installation fees"
Overall "Teksavvy is an okay company if everythng is working but if you have issues with your service it's impossible to get it fixed"

·VMedia
Well I've been Teksavvy DSL customer since 2006ish and made the switch to there cable service in October 2010 everything seemed to worked fine until I noticed in December the problems. I've been getting timeouts that cause my online games,torrents to disconnect,my web pages and You tube to lagg out basicly making 10/512 cable connection useless. I've spoken to every senior tech at Teksavvy none can solve my issues they even sent a Rogers tech, out mind you he was clueless and blamed my modem,computer,router,NIC,Teksavvy. I've given up on getting the issue repaired and figure there is just no resolution because Rogers and Teksavvy doesn't care. I'll be switching back to Teksavvy DSL dry loop ( disconnecting my landline with TSI ) sometime this month and will be taking a loss on the installation fees,cost of the cable modem. This leaves me sort of angry at Teksavvy because I wasted all that money and time for nothing but I know there only so much Teksavvy can do. Well my advice to new cable users is if everything is working your gold but if your having issues your screwed because Teksavvy doesn't care to fix customers issues.

I'm updating my review of Teksavvy because the company has taken a major nosedive. I've recently started experiencing nightly disconnections not to mention all the new issues with the company one,two hour wait times on the phone for tech support, poor or no tech support,congested and oversold POI's,nightly slow downs and most annoying of all blaming Rogers for everything with no resolutions for technical issues. I can no longer recommend this company to anyone and I'm considering switching to another ISP myself.

member for 7.2 years, 2047 visits, last login: 66 days ago

Comments:

Review by torontoitguy See Profile

• Location: M8Z0B8
Good "Decent order process. Installed on time"
Bad "Can not use service in the evenings"
Overall "Do not choose TekSavvy. Rogers will force them out"

Order to live went without a hitch...

The sales/Install coordination staff could use more training. The agent I initially called could not find the MAC of my modem in their system... She put me on hold for 5 minutes, and all seem to be fine with the modem/MAC.

Connection installed 29/9 at around 1pm. Decent speeds - 20M/1M (down/up). Then it went downhill in the evening...

I'm on the Scarlett POI.... in the evenings, the service is unusable (.9M/1). My fault, should have read these groups further before putting an order through.

Overall these issues are probably the fault is mostly Rogers'. However, doesn't seem like TekSavvy has a strong enough lobby or regulatory support to keep their customers happy.

Bottom line - Beg Rogers for a discount and stay with them. I will cancel my TekSavvy service after the initial month (prepaid as I bought the Canada Computes bundle).

So disappointed, we not refer my customers to TekSaavy (this was my attempt to test them out).

Comments:

TSI Martin

Scarlett POI

In case you posted your review prior to have reading the following...

»Scarlett & London issues

If your still having issues, please let us know.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
·TekSavvy DSL

"Do not choose TekSavvy. Rogers will force them out"

I seriously doubt Rogers will force Teksavvy out. There was a Rogers network issue that Rogers was responding to, and which has now been announced as fixed. Enjoy your improved performance Teksavvy Cable internet.
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? AVPeeeeeee'd Off!

Review by DaJackel See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High Caps"
Bad "3-4 Hour Customer Service Wait Times, Unusable Internet Speeds"
Overall "Stay far away from TekSavvy until they get their act together."

I was switching to TekSavvy from another TPIA and was informed that it would be an easy switch and I was told I'd have a technician scheduled for my install date and I'd receive a call with the exact time. The day before my internet was supposed to be activated I still hadn't received the call regarding my installation so I called TekSavvy myself. After waiting 80 minutes to get through to someone I was informed that I couldn't be activated as a switch and I'd have to instead be set up as a new account.

Wonderful. I complained and was told I'd get priority installation and it would be scheduled for 3 days from the call. 3 Days later I got a call saying they couldn't have an installer in at that time and it would be delayed another few days.

Fast forward a few more days and I did have my internet up and running. For 2 days.

After that my line was cut cold (it WAS marked as TPIA). I had to wait another 8 days to get a Rogers tech to come out and look at it. He came and did his business but I was still not able to connect. Spent another hour waiting to get a hold of TekSavvy and they said they'd put in another request to Rogers and would call me back. The next day I called TekSavvy and got someone else who did something magical that the other support rep could not do (apparently?) and my internet was finally working again.

Of course, that is if you call 300kb/s download speeds 'working'.

I was also promised a credit for my downtime but of course I never got that. When I received my bill from the accounting department and mentioned the credit they said they heard nothing about it.

Stay far away.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Credit.

We should of adjusted billing for these issues. Please contact me TSI Martin See Profile for me to look into this.

The Kitchener/Waterloo is due to be upgraded soon... We are attempting to get this done as fast as possible by Rogers.

I apologies for your experience and would like to see what happened.

Review by TKWizard See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely fast internet (In the mornings/afternoon), no caps."
Bad "SLOW IN THE EVENINGS"
Overall "Stay away from it if you're in the Dupont POI area, you WILL be ignored!"

I used to be a customer of Primus and they announced their UBB plan as predicted. So I quickly signed up for Teksavvy on the 31st of December over the phone and gave the necessary information and date of installation. I ordered the 15/1 Extreme Cable Pro package. All that was smooth.

The Modem (SB6120) came to the Post office on Friday January 7th, but it was picked up on Saturday Jan 8th, due to work.

On January 10th, the technician came 30 mins earlier than the scheduled install time (4:30pm) and drilled a hole in our house for the cable to be connected to the Demarc point and the modem upstairs.

After a few hours wait and a dumb mistake of putting in the wrong RJ-45 cable, the service was activated!

Ran a speed test and got a 24.17 Up (With speedboost) and 1 down as advertised. I also do not have the problems that some people have been getting on the Dupont POI where my house is located during peak times.

Tried to download a 14 Gig video, finished in almost 2 1/2 hours. WAY Better than the ultra slow take over 20 hrs to get it @ 320KB/sec..

So far I'm very happy with the service and I would recommend it to everyone!

-edit- September 28.

The Dupont POI has been ridiculously slow in the evenings for the last 1/3 of the year and Teksavvy completely ignores us. I have already put in a ticket into the Direct Forum and its being ignored there. Its like we do not exist.

Yesterday's result.

»/im/98883322/29814.png

My downstream is between 591000000 Hz and 615000000 Hz on four channels with a S2N ratio of 37-38dB.

Please stop dropping the ball Teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by joewahba See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High cap limits"
Bad "1mb/s download during peak ours, 2 hour wait times for service.."
Overall "Much worse service than Rogers"

I've been a Teksavvy extreme cable (15/mbs) customer for a month and have decided to go back to Rogers. I've been getting 500kb downloading during 5pm-2am for the past couple of weeks. They put the stop sale on now, but they should have calculated the strain this customer base would put on their current bandwidth. I'm not impressed at all by their support, they haven't offered to reimburse customers for their error and after waiting 2 hours to get to tech support they simply ask you to send you more statistics. This isn't how you run a business, I'm taking mine elsewhere.

Why would you expand your customer base when you knew you didn't have the bandwidth to provide service? I can't even download youtube vids from 5pm on. I'm pissed off and angry and when I call the customer service they recommend I wait 2 hours to talk to Tech Support. Tech support recommends I keep them up to date on the shitty service they're providing and standby for the next few weeks while Rogers "upgrades" their service.

I experienced slowdowns with Rogers too, but they were apologetic, they comp'd me the months that I wasn't getting the advertised download rates. They sent out service techs to try and remedy the service. They didn't tell me to wait while i'm charged 50 bucks a month for dial up service. If you're in KW you should forego tek and just use an AOL 870 free hours cd-rom. You'll be glad you did.

Comments:

KidRichard

@teksavvy.com

Rogers - Apologetic?

I have never had anything but a "I'm sorry, there isn't any problem with your download speeds (often less than 100 kilobytes per second)" or "Your argument is invalid," from Rogers. Also, I have never been comped months.

Albeit, TekSavvy isn't perfect and their current tech support isn't great, but its miles ahead of Rogers.

Also, many of the issues that TekSavvy are facing stem from Rogers being uncooperative.

Farmer Chuck

@teksavvy.com

You only pay for what you're capped at

You first look at the cap rate and that's mostly all that matters. Do you have enough speed to download/upload 300 gigabytes in a month? It seems you have more than plenty. I fail to see what your gripe is?

Clarification

I would like to add that although you seem to think we may have been late in the stop sell in your area, keep in mind that upgrades asked a long time ago, have yet to have been performed & on top of things the vendor has raised the speeds in many areas. (not sure where you are located) This is all coming at a bad time as they raise speeds but don't do our requested upgrades.

The wait time has been attributed to several factors including popularity of our services, congestion issues on our cable services. Unlike other vendors, we don't get updated by Rogers in a timely fashion even with pressure put on them.

As credits are concerned, we never prevent these from being provided. All that we've asked is that issues be resolved first.

I've said all of this as a way for you to see the bigger picture rather then just your experience with the service... Trust me when we say we do care about what is happening & we are apologetic to the situations you have to endure as we fight to get all if this all caught up to what we've been known as a provider in the past.

Review by Xeliax See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not Bell, Not Rogers, Not Videotron"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds when you need your connection the most (evenings)"
Overall "Avoid until problems are resolved"

I was happy to leave Bell ADSL for TSI Cable but now I regret since I don't get my advertised speeds and can't stream online content... which is extremely important for me since I don't have cable TV or anything else.

No matter who provides the lines to TSI (Rogers, or Videotron in Quebec) if I understand this right, TSI rents volume from them. As much as I pay for the apartment I rent, if the apartment has a problem I can go against my landlord and get this fixed rapidly to get what I paid for. I don't know but if TSI signed an agreement with Rogers mentioning that they can't sue Rogers, then they, and we the customers, are in trouble... but I really don't know about this... just questioning myself.

Would it be also possible that Rogers wants to drive business away from TSI ? In any case, even though I'd like to stick with TSI for what they represent, this is business and we shouldn't have to pay for speeds as slow as 0.5 Mbps when we are paying for much higher speeds as per our agreement with TSI. And even though TSI used to represent a way out of Bell and Rogers (and Videotron in Quebec), if they don't have the power or means to make Rogers deliver what TSI pays for, then in no way I'll be sticking with TSI. And Bell/Rogers will win again unfortunately.

I'll give 4 more weeks to TSI to have the speed in the Montreal area fixed to what they should be, then I'm out. It will then have been 12 weeks that I will have waited... I believe that's fair enough for a small company I want to support as much as possible... but won't if they can't deliver.

I didn't give a high score for install co-ordination since on the 2 days that their provider was supposed to show up at my place, it didn't. Wasted my time. TSI should address with their providers since it seems I'm not the only one impacted by this.

My review is not really good, but I just hope it will kick TSI's behind in order to get it all together and start delivering as they used to. Please don't tell me to send a PM, I've addressed the situation with TSI through other means than this web site.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Quebec cable

Yes, we do have a congestion issue on the aggregated POI we have. We have place an order for an upgrade. This is our first time upgrading with Videotron and we are excited to find out how long this will take to get completed. Hopefully we can get better results from them then what we are getting from our Ontario counterparts.