TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by rjej123 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "The reliability of the service"

I've been with Teksavvy since April 2009 and used to be a very happy customer.

As many others, I started having big problems with my Internet speed a few months ago. Every evening 1-2 Mbps instead of 24 Mbps. I've been patient for a long time, but I finally decided to start "solving" the problem. Countless phone calls to the Support, the same investigation steps every time, new and shiny ticket with Rogers every day. I finally asked if I could get the discount for my service being so slow for a long time ? The answer was NO.

Finally, I decided to cancel my service. The lady from the cancellation department was very nice and asked me if I would like to switch to DSL instead. I said fine, but I need to try it for a few days or week because I used to have problems with the DSL. The answer was NO. You cannot try. You need to buy the new service. Ok, but can I at least have the installation fee waived for being your customer for a long time, referring so many people to you and now switching ONLY because YOU have problems with delivering me the service as promised ? Guess what the answer was: NO !

She managed to convince me to try "the best" technician they had to fix my issue after promising me that I could cancel my service at any time and I would stop paying immediately if that didn't work. I agreed, but of course again the technician-magician didn't fix the problem. Because of that delay, caused by the cancellation department, my next billing cycle has started and when I asked for the immediate cancellation and refund of my money for the unused period, the answer was... NO ! I can cancel my service at any time, but they don't refund my money, even if I don't have the service anymore. I'm stuck until the end of March.

Come on, guys ! Even Rogers refunds the money for the days you didn't use.

I can believe some Teksavvy problems are related to Rogers network problems, but what I've recently experienced proved Teksavvy has a huge problem with the customer service. How can you answer NO to every single question ? It seems the customer doesn't have any value to the company at all.. I tried to support Teksavvy for a long time. Not anymore.

Comments:
ninithepug

congrat, bud!

finally someone has EXACT same experience with me, I canceled two days late into the month, got charge for entire month, for 1.5 m on my 24m line, no refund, no credit, no waive any fee.

exactly!! I just feel teksavvy dunt care their customer, at all, even Rogers is better than them.

Review by ninithepug See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Relative cheap if you do download a lot"
Bad "Terrible Terrible Terrible customer service"
Overall "IF everything went well, you are lucky, if you need help, there simply isn't any, you are on your own"

To anyone want to signup with teksavvy, mind you, if the service is working, you are good, if not, you on your own, do not expect any help, and.. watch your billing cycle

I signed up with 24m cable service, early last month (Feb 11) speed turns to 100k when I download, start calling them, do all kinds of test, creating tickets every day until (Feb 22) I finally giveup since support guy tells me rogers tell them my modem should have signal. for god sake, I've been calling them for 10 times and they still didn't figure out it is slow speed I am suffering not the signal.

So later I ask around, eventually someone here tell me my area is 'stop sell, the fix will start in April'. I just don't trust teksavvy again. but I made a mistake I didn't call right away to cancel.

Called in today, was told my billing date is Feb 28, the march payment was already charged. So I ask, it is not fair to charge me for March since I am getting not even 10% of the speed what I suppose to get from Feb. the support guy told me he cant do anything, start transfer me back and forth between customer service and tech, an hour later (I swear this is how long it takes ) a customer service supervisor talked to me said since this is a prepaid service and I am getting signal all the time, they can't refund anything for both Feb and March. Ok, I understand you may not refund me a penny for Feb, but for March this is just the 2nd day and i just dont understand why cant teksavvy immediately cancel me and refund the rest.

It's not cheap to start with teksavvy, spend $100 to get the modem, another 60 for activation, bumped up the price last month, having paid all this, Teksavvy have no support, does not care their customer at all.

I am so sad at teksavvy...I do not recommend teksavvy service at all, it is a gamble, if it works, you are good, otherwise, do not count on the help...since there is just not any. Oh, watch your billing cycle, since it is a 'prepaid service'.

Comments:

KevinAndrets

@teksavvy.com

Just par for the course

Teksavvy has fallen a long way... I have just cancelled my service with them and will be moving soon. Sorry bit $70 a month for no better than 5Mbps is a disgrace. What a disorganized and scamming company.

join:2012-02-14

Re: Just par for the course

Exactly, just checked my last month bill, $59 something! this is not cheap, at all, consider the service received and their customer care quality

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Better Experience.

I'm very sorry to have to hear your experience wasn't good. I'm not certain of what occurred in your situation, so I extend a hand in an attempt to understand what happened. Please fee free to contact me via pm TSI Martin See Profile so we can discuss this further.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Re: Better Experience.

IM sent

Re: Better Experience.

Teksavvy just replied, basically they cannot do anything about this. Anyway, I already canceled them, I rather pay more to get a quality service...

Tks user

@teksavvy.com

Teksavvy bad service

I agree 100% with the comment above. Tecksavvy is good when their up but when their not you cannot rely on their technical support, they simply cant do anything about your problem.

Rogers, who sells the servers to Tecksavvy, simply gives the customer the "illusion" that the service is better with its higher bandwith but as soon as you switch over they cut the servers. Doesnt matter who you're with, Rogers or Tecksavvy, because their both going to screw you over in the long run !

Cheers.

Re: Teksavvy bad service

agree. that's why I am trying bell for now..

Review by tonytoronto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Ah, yeah before they were great"
Bad "Greed, horrible hold times, cs sucks."
Overall "No longer recommended, stay away."

Well, they were the best in the business, they have turned into one of the worst.overselling seems to be the new way doing business, it's got to the point wind data service faster and more reliable. Not sure what happened to them, but seems greed as taken over. customer service hold times brutal, the more they oversell the more people will call. The thoushounds of people say they wired will never be enough when service has gone to shit the way it has. 15mb payed service to get 1-2 mb at best, at times can't even load simple websites. From one that religiously recommended them, now asking you stay away. Until they change the way they do business, look somewhere else. Blaming Rogers no longer works, it's your network, you the one sending me invoices, not Rogers. It's not the local node that's congested, my neighbor has no problems hitting 50mb when I can even surf the web.

Comments:

Review by droos99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "It was working fine for about 6 months"
Bad "Worst customer service ever"
Overall "Do not use these guys - such a pain to deal with"

I have been using Teksavvy cable for just over 6 months. Initially the install coordination was a bit of trouble and it seemed it took weeks to get a slot. Initially the speeds were considerably slower than advertised - promised 12 Mbps but was only getting around 3. After a week or so the speeds increased and I didn`t really have many issues until the last 2 weeks.

And the last 2 weeks were so frustrating I decided to cancel the service, this company has no concept of customer service. My internet initially went down on October 28th and I spent an hour troubleshooting with a tech rep until I actually had to get off the phone becuase I had to be somewhere. The next day I find out that there was an outage effecting large parts of Toronto.

Monday night I call back and the outage in Toronto is fixed but I still have no internet - I call back and go through all the troubleshooting again, another 45 minutes on the phone, this time the tech thinks it is a DHCP problem and must contact Rogers. The tech tells me that they will contact me over the next 48 hours to give me an update if the service has not been restored.

Wednesday night and no call. I call back and find out that Rogers has replied and said that they found nothing wrong. So the tech does another 45 minutes of trouble shooting with me. He thinks it is a DHCP problem, again. Sends the ticket back to Rogers again. This time he tells me to call back in 2 days to see if there is an update.

Call Back friday - Rogers has provided an update - it will be another 2 days. The tech tells me to call back Sunday if service isn`t restored. Sunday comes and goes and no service.

Service is finally restored Monday night (tonight) and I call to see what type of credit TekSavvy will offer. Although my service has been down for 11 days the tech initially only offers a 7 day credit. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold. 5 minutes later the tech comes back and says that as a courtesy they will give me the 11 days credit. I ask if they will provide any further credit for the inconvenience of the service interruption and having to spend so much time on the phone with them. He won`t. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold for 5 minutes. Tech returns and says he is connecting me to a supervisor. 34 minutes pass and I decide to call into Teksavvy on my other line.

The sales guy gives me the same run around and won`t let me talk to a supervisor.

I had to cancel my service. These guys don`t care about the customer at all - when there is a problem with Rogers they just sit on their hands and don`t do anything. Plus they will not do anything to make the customer happy. All I wanted was an additional week comped. I had to cancel just for the principle of this exercise in frustration.

This never happened when I was with Rogers.

Save yourself the headache - take a pass on TekSavvy

Update - Feb 10

I ended up staying with TekSavvy only to see their speeds drop drastically in recent weeks. Paying for 12 MBPS and getting 1 on a regular basis is pretty terrible. After paying for the installation and modem Teksavvy is turning out to be pretty terrible value.

Comments:

Review by vitamin_d See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick response"
Bad "Inneffective response"
Overall "Not as good as they have been and getting worse."

I moved from Rogers to TSI and for several months all was well, so much so that I became a big advocate for them.

Nov 13 2011 - DHCP issues began. I was unable to get connected as an IP address was not being allocated by my modem.

I understand that the cause of the problem is Rogers, but the way this issue has been handled by TekSavvy has changed my opinion of them completely.

After 3ish weeks of calling regularly (almost every day, sometimes twice a day) for updates and using the TekSavvy direct support forum I had had enough.
I called up and asked for a temporary DSL connection because the Internet service that I rely on TSI providing me over cable was non-existant and I could no longer afford to spend time chasing them up for a solution.

Now they have managed to get the DSL connection wrong as well. Further delays, further cost and still no end in sight.

I'm still sticking it out because I hope that TSI can live up to their reputation, but right now they are falling at every hurdle.

Will update this review when/if there is any change in my situation.

UPDATE:

After spending almost an hour speaking to various representatives from customer service and technical support I thought I had finally got through to someone who had taken ownership of this issue and was going to get things resolved. He assured me that he would make a few calls and get back to me shortly. 24 hours later, no calls.

I have had to call again, and have now been on the phone for another 35 minutes and have gotten nowhere.

All I am asking for is a reliable internet connection and now, some compensation for the hours I have spent on the phone over the last 3.5 weeks, but it seems that no-one as TekSAvvy can make this happen.

Comments:

Review by randar007 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "$39.70 more in my pocket each month."
Bad "No concern, caring, ownership, explanation or resolution of my slow speeds"
Overall "If it isn't resolved by 2012 I am quitting Teksavvy."

Over 6 months of 2 meg speeds on a 14 meg profile without any resolution. I know see that I have to provide my own "resolution" to my slow speed issue.

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Not Rogers"
Bad "Unstable speeds, downtime, bad speeds ...expensive ...bad speeds"
Overall "Its not Rogers ...?!!!!"

Teksavvy is awesome, if you can think of something you want out of an ISP Teksavvy will deliver. Unless they are restricted of course. I have no complaints about them.

The only reason I have this a lower rating for Install Co-ordination was because Rogers failed to show up. Fully 100% Rogers fault. Teksavvy was nice enough to call me and let me know they were not going to show, Rogers was not so nice to inform me.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be with teksavvy? Why pay Rogers for half the service twice the price?

UPDATE: It has almost been a year, and I've experienced a few issues here and there with being disconnected. I did at one point go a few days without internet because there was an issue where they ran out of IP addresses. This was annoying say the least and it took awhile for me to actually get in contact with support. However the problem was resolved later.

Also I often get very very very slow speeds, I would say I get around 2mb/s connection speed. I play online games and I would say 40% of the time I experience really bad lag and find it hard to play online.

Overall Teksavvy isn't so bad, but I've had a bad experience, I would like to see why my connection is so bad and people I know in my area or in other areas that have Teksavvy have no issues. From what I've been told I'm on the Dupont POI and it has issues, which if this is true I'm disappointed that I'm one of the affected customers by this.

UPDATE #2: Just over a year and I have to say the service just gets worse and worse. I've now downgraded my service to the 12M one, as I never got past 10mb/s on speed tests. I've had horrible speeds, and lots of bursts. While playing games sometimes I'd have very bad lag, other times it was fine. Overall I didn't feel it was worth paying more for getting less. Even after changing services I stll get HORRIBLE speeds, past few days I've been doing speed tests and average about a 5M connection sometimes it goes up to 8 but thats not enough.

UPDATE: I've edited the ratings to reflect overall, recently it takes a week for teksupport to reply, and the few times I tried to call I was on hold too long and gave up. The connection is horrible, and its not very reliable at these speeds and the fact they had so many problems with the dupont POI which I was on. Also at these prices we should be getting way better internet, it sucks Canada is 10 years behind.

Comments:

Review by thanos750 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better Caps"
Bad "Unusable speeds after 7pm"
Overall "Paid for 24/1 got 1/1"

Modem delivered on time. Installation was fine. Speeds are terrible. They blame Rogers but unfortunately I'm not paying Rogers I'm paying Teksavvy. Had to go back to the competitor for same price of 24/1 just a lower cap. Consider joining when they fix their POI issues which have been going on now for literally months. I gave them 2 months to get this in order to no avail. They completely acknowledge the issues and are very upfront and apologetic about it but just try asking for some type of refund...oh no no no...just like everyone they hide behind some clause about 'up to speeds'.

So long.

Comments:

Review by iMPLiCiT4 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast during off peak hours"
Bad "1 mbps download at night time (most important time)"
Overall "DO NOT GO WITH TEKSAVVY TILL THEY GET THEIR ISSUES SORTED OUT."

Missed original installation call and had to wait another week or so extra to get it installed...

Fast during the day, slow as hell (.5 - 3 mbps) after about 4 PM. Extremely disappointed. Will be cancelling if it stays like this. Not the only person in Guelph to have these issues either, so its not an isolated incident.

Comments:

Review by neuromancer1 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Great prices,truthful sales department,300GB Cap,not Rogers or Bell."
Bad "Tech support has no control over tech issues and doesn't care to resolve them,installation fees"
Overall "Teksavvy is an okay company if everythng is working but if you have issues with your service it's impossible to get it fixed"

·VMedia
Well I've been Teksavvy DSL customer since 2006ish and made the switch to there cable service in October 2010 everything seemed to worked fine until I noticed in December the problems. I've been getting timeouts that cause my online games,torrents to disconnect,my web pages and You tube to lagg out basicly making 10/512 cable connection useless. I've spoken to every senior tech at Teksavvy none can solve my issues they even sent a Rogers tech, out mind you he was clueless and blamed my modem,computer,router,NIC,Teksavvy. I've given up on getting the issue repaired and figure there is just no resolution because Rogers and Teksavvy doesn't care. I'll be switching back to Teksavvy DSL dry loop ( disconnecting my landline with TSI ) sometime this month and will be taking a loss on the installation fees,cost of the cable modem. This leaves me sort of angry at Teksavvy because I wasted all that money and time for nothing but I know there only so much Teksavvy can do. Well my advice to new cable users is if everything is working your gold but if your having issues your screwed because Teksavvy doesn't care to fix customers issues.

I'm updating my review of Teksavvy because the company has taken a major nosedive. I've recently started experiencing nightly disconnections not to mention all the new issues with the company one,two hour wait times on the phone for tech support, poor or no tech support,congested and oversold POI's,nightly slow downs and most annoying of all blaming Rogers for everything with no resolutions for technical issues. I can no longer recommend this company to anyone and I'm considering switching to another ISP myself.

member for 7.8 years, 2047 visits, last login: 288 days ago