TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by droos99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "It was working fine for about 6 months"
Bad "Worst customer service ever"
Overall "Do not use these guys - such a pain to deal with"

I have been using Teksavvy cable for just over 6 months. Initially the install coordination was a bit of trouble and it seemed it took weeks to get a slot. Initially the speeds were considerably slower than advertised - promised 12 Mbps but was only getting around 3. After a week or so the speeds increased and I didn`t really have many issues until the last 2 weeks.

And the last 2 weeks were so frustrating I decided to cancel the service, this company has no concept of customer service. My internet initially went down on October 28th and I spent an hour troubleshooting with a tech rep until I actually had to get off the phone becuase I had to be somewhere. The next day I find out that there was an outage effecting large parts of Toronto.

Monday night I call back and the outage in Toronto is fixed but I still have no internet - I call back and go through all the troubleshooting again, another 45 minutes on the phone, this time the tech thinks it is a DHCP problem and must contact Rogers. The tech tells me that they will contact me over the next 48 hours to give me an update if the service has not been restored.

Wednesday night and no call. I call back and find out that Rogers has replied and said that they found nothing wrong. So the tech does another 45 minutes of trouble shooting with me. He thinks it is a DHCP problem, again. Sends the ticket back to Rogers again. This time he tells me to call back in 2 days to see if there is an update.

Call Back friday - Rogers has provided an update - it will be another 2 days. The tech tells me to call back Sunday if service isn`t restored. Sunday comes and goes and no service.

Service is finally restored Monday night (tonight) and I call to see what type of credit TekSavvy will offer. Although my service has been down for 11 days the tech initially only offers a 7 day credit. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold. 5 minutes later the tech comes back and says that as a courtesy they will give me the 11 days credit. I ask if they will provide any further credit for the inconvenience of the service interruption and having to spend so much time on the phone with them. He won`t. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold for 5 minutes. Tech returns and says he is connecting me to a supervisor. 34 minutes pass and I decide to call into Teksavvy on my other line.

The sales guy gives me the same run around and won`t let me talk to a supervisor.

I had to cancel my service. These guys don`t care about the customer at all - when there is a problem with Rogers they just sit on their hands and don`t do anything. Plus they will not do anything to make the customer happy. All I wanted was an additional week comped. I had to cancel just for the principle of this exercise in frustration.

This never happened when I was with Rogers.

Save yourself the headache - take a pass on TekSavvy

Update - Feb 10

I ended up staying with TekSavvy only to see their speeds drop drastically in recent weeks. Paying for 12 MBPS and getting 1 on a regular basis is pretty terrible. After paying for the installation and modem Teksavvy is turning out to be pretty terrible value.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Credits

I'm sorry that the credit for your down time wasn't enough in your eyes. We are a prepaid service & so we provide credits on downtime. I understand you went through a frustration time during the time your service wasn't working but all credits are applied in the same similar fashion.

droos99

join:2011-11-07
Toronto, ON

Re: Credits

The frustration wasn't necessarily form the down time.

It was dealing with the irrational CSRs you have. I spent over a half hour on hold while "waiting" to speak to a supervisor. I am pretty sure your CSR was just going to leave me on hold indefinitely.

Re: Credits

I would have to listen to the call to see what happened. Please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile & I'll see if this is a coaching opportunity.

sas

join:2011-01-28

Re: Credits

In all fairness, I hope droos99 will get credits not only for downtime but also for the emotion he endured, out of good will of company.
I plan to buy TS starter kit for cable (Scarborough). I call TS sales line and be assured with a very courteous rep. that my area (given postal code) is good to proceed (i.e: no stop sale).
Martin, I have a couple questions for you. Can you please confirm this: I will buy the TekSavvy Extreme Cable starter kit (with the DOCSIS 3.0 Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16) but will only order the Express Cable or Lite Cable service. Will it work? Secondly, I never had cable internet but do have Rogers cable TV, is it necessary for a Rogers tech to come? (don't want to waste a work day to wait for a tech who may or may not come in my house). Thanks you.

said by sas:

You can buy the kit, but on the 2nd month only will you be able to change the service to Express or Lite. There will be a $5 Change of service fee.
said by sas:

Yes it will be necessary for a Tech to go, but it will be a 3 hour window not a full day.

sas

join:2011-01-28

Re: Credits

Martin, thanks for the reply. Depend on when the "3 hour" window is allocated in the day, it could be full day or at best half a day off work. Another question: If after I got a fully operational TS cable internet, I decided to cancel Rogers cable TV but keep TS cable internet, is it possible? If so, will it affect the quality of the internet connection in anyway (reliability, speed, availability, etc.)? Thanks.

Re: Credits

Dispatches are performed on these time slots.

AM 8-11
MID 11-2
PM 2-5
EVE 5-8

If you cancel your TV subscription, all that will stop is your TV service everything else should remain the same. It's always good to notify Rogers that your currently are using a TPIA Cable internet service. There have been times when Rogers puts filter on Cable that cuts all services. So we then need to get Rogers to send a new tech out to fix your Line & remove filter they've installed.

Review by vitamin_d See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick response"
Bad "Inneffective response"
Overall "Not as good as they have been and getting worse."

I moved from Rogers to TSI and for several months all was well, so much so that I became a big advocate for them.

Nov 13 2011 - DHCP issues began. I was unable to get connected as an IP address was not being allocated by my modem.

I understand that the cause of the problem is Rogers, but the way this issue has been handled by TekSavvy has changed my opinion of them completely.

After 3ish weeks of calling regularly (almost every day, sometimes twice a day) for updates and using the TekSavvy direct support forum I had had enough.
I called up and asked for a temporary DSL connection because the Internet service that I rely on TSI providing me over cable was non-existant and I could no longer afford to spend time chasing them up for a solution.

Now they have managed to get the DSL connection wrong as well. Further delays, further cost and still no end in sight.

I'm still sticking it out because I hope that TSI can live up to their reputation, but right now they are falling at every hurdle.

Will update this review when/if there is any change in my situation.

UPDATE:

After spending almost an hour speaking to various representatives from customer service and technical support I thought I had finally got through to someone who had taken ownership of this issue and was going to get things resolved. He assured me that he would make a few calls and get back to me shortly. 24 hours later, no calls.

I have had to call again, and have now been on the phone for another 35 minutes and have gotten nowhere.

All I am asking for is a reliable internet connection and now, some compensation for the hours I have spent on the phone over the last 3.5 weeks, but it seems that no-one as TekSAvvy can make this happen.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Sent you a PM

I've sent you a PM regarding the ticket we are working on to get your service back up.

Chatham, ON

I've attempted to contact you

But haven't heard of any news from you.

I work escalations but if you don't let me help you... I can't do anything for you. So when you are ready to contact me, please feel free to do so.
vitamin_d

join:2011-11-14
Scarborough, ON

Re: I've attempted to contact you

I have called customer services and technical support numerous times. Today and yesterday I have spent over 2 hours speaking with several of your colleagues.
I have now been promised a call back from a manager named Andre. I have been waiting since 10:45 AM.

In a nutshell I have been without reliable cable internet since the 13th Nov and TekSavvy have not been able to provide a definitive date when this will be resolved.

Prior to this I have been very happy with TekSavvy, recommending them to anyone in the market for Internet service. Unfortunatly when problems arise TekSavvy fails miserably.

There are two main reasons for my frustration.

Firstly, the issues stemming from Rogers node splitting. I am fully aware that the underlying cause for the technical issues that impacting me are due to Rogers. But, I do not pay Rogers nor do I have any communication with them regarding my Internet. I have chosen to trust TekSavvy to provide my Internet service.

Since the initial problem began around Nov 13th I have patiently been calling in for updates, calling in to report issues (going through lengthy trouble shooting steps each time) and waiting for updates. I haven't measured it exaclty but I am sure I have spent 6+ hours on the phone trying to get this fixed.

Secondly, in order to have a reliable, comparable, connection the only choice I had (apart from leaving TekSavvy) was to sign up for DSL - not something I really wanted to do as there is a $99 set up fee and the cost is $67 a month. A supervisor named Kelly said that he can provide a discount of $20 for my trouble on top of any credit I would be receiving for the cable internet issues.

When calling in to TSi tech support to report yet another issue with my cable internet I asked for an update on my DSL application and I am told that is has been rejected due to the number not being recognized. This stemmed from the fact that my telephone services are provided by Rogers, not Bell. During the tiem of application all I was asked when going through the application process was if I had a regular phone, to which I replied yes.

The rejection of the appilcaton has led to further delays and I have now been informed, higher cost. A higher cost for a service that I initially thought was expensive and I don't really want, but am forced to subscribe to in order to get a reliable connection.

After all this I spoke to manager today named Matt who offered my a discount on the DSL connection (again, which I don't really want but due to unreliable cable internet I am forced to subscribe to) totalling $28. I don't think this is enough and am now waiting for Andre to call me to discuss options.

I value my time, between family, work and other obligations I don't have much left.

It is quite apparent TSI doesn't value me or my time, $28 compensation for 6+ hours of my time works out to $4.67 an hour at most.

I am sorry Vitamin_D,

It has been a busy day I will be calling you in the next 10 minutes.

Thanks,

Andre

Hello,

I just tried calling and I got your vm.

I will try calling you in 15 minutes.

Thanks,

Andre
vitamin_d

join:2011-11-14
Scarborough, ON

Ready when you are.

said by vitamin_d:

Ready when you are.

Don't forget to email me

Review by randar007 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "$39.70 more in my pocket each month."
Bad "No concern, caring, ownership, explanation or resolution of my slow speeds"
Overall "If it isn't resolved by 2012 I am quitting Teksavvy."

Over 6 months of 2 meg speeds on a 14 meg profile without any resolution. I know see that I have to provide my own "resolution" to my slow speed issue.

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Not Rogers"
Bad "Unstable speeds, downtime, bad speeds ...expensive ...bad speeds"
Overall "Its not Rogers ...?!!!!"

Teksavvy is awesome, if you can think of something you want out of an ISP Teksavvy will deliver. Unless they are restricted of course. I have no complaints about them.

The only reason I have this a lower rating for Install Co-ordination was because Rogers failed to show up. Fully 100% Rogers fault. Teksavvy was nice enough to call me and let me know they were not going to show, Rogers was not so nice to inform me.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be with teksavvy? Why pay Rogers for half the service twice the price?

UPDATE: It has almost been a year, and I've experienced a few issues here and there with being disconnected. I did at one point go a few days without internet because there was an issue where they ran out of IP addresses. This was annoying say the least and it took awhile for me to actually get in contact with support. However the problem was resolved later.

Also I often get very very very slow speeds, I would say I get around 2mb/s connection speed. I play online games and I would say 40% of the time I experience really bad lag and find it hard to play online.

Overall Teksavvy isn't so bad, but I've had a bad experience, I would like to see why my connection is so bad and people I know in my area or in other areas that have Teksavvy have no issues. From what I've been told I'm on the Dupont POI and it has issues, which if this is true I'm disappointed that I'm one of the affected customers by this.

UPDATE #2: Just over a year and I have to say the service just gets worse and worse. I've now downgraded my service to the 12M one, as I never got past 10mb/s on speed tests. I've had horrible speeds, and lots of bursts. While playing games sometimes I'd have very bad lag, other times it was fine. Overall I didn't feel it was worth paying more for getting less. Even after changing services I stll get HORRIBLE speeds, past few days I've been doing speed tests and average about a 5M connection sometimes it goes up to 8 but thats not enough.

UPDATE: I've edited the ratings to reflect overall, recently it takes a week for teksupport to reply, and the few times I tried to call I was on hold too long and gave up. The connection is horrible, and its not very reliable at these speeds and the fact they had so many problems with the dupont POI which I was on. Also at these prices we should be getting way better internet, it sucks Canada is 10 years behind.

Comments:

Review by thanos750 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better Caps"
Bad "Unusable speeds after 7pm"
Overall "Paid for 24/1 got 1/1"

Modem delivered on time. Installation was fine. Speeds are terrible. They blame Rogers but unfortunately I'm not paying Rogers I'm paying Teksavvy. Had to go back to the competitor for same price of 24/1 just a lower cap. Consider joining when they fix their POI issues which have been going on now for literally months. I gave them 2 months to get this in order to no avail. They completely acknowledge the issues and are very upfront and apologetic about it but just try asking for some type of refund...oh no no no...just like everyone they hide behind some clause about 'up to speeds'.

So long.

Comments:

Review by iMPLiCiT4 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast during off peak hours"
Bad "1 mbps download at night time (most important time)"
Overall "DO NOT GO WITH TEKSAVVY TILL THEY GET THEIR ISSUES SORTED OUT."

Missed original installation call and had to wait another week or so extra to get it installed...

Fast during the day, slow as hell (.5 - 3 mbps) after about 4 PM. Extremely disappointed. Will be cancelling if it stays like this. Not the only person in Guelph to have these issues either, so its not an isolated incident.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

It is unfortunate about the missed call for your dispatch & this was escalated to you.

Guelph POI doesn't reach 40% during peak times. I've search our accounts & found 2 other TekSavvy cable users in your area. Those users have never called us for an issue. We are currently attempting to troubleshoot with you on the Direct Forum.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by TSI Martin:

Not sure the right approach would be to publicly discredit a customers accusations with a search of customer complaints and congestion in his area.

Food for thought lol
Bwareofmeh

join:2011-10-19
Tilbury, ON

Re: .

Well he basically looked at the area and said that no issues...
So he just doesnt want the customer to bash "false information"..

Would make sense if the POI was overwhelmed... but this case shows other users have no issues..

And they are trying to resolve the issue with him, which is a good thing
iMPLiCiT4

join:2011-09-19
Cambridge, ON

Re: .

I can assure you this is not an isolated incident, there are at least 10+ people with the exact same symptoms as me. I pay for service, I expect to receive said service.

Review by neuromancer1 See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "Great prices,truthful sales department,300GB Cap,not Rogers or Bell."
Bad "Tech support has no control over tech issues and doesn't care to resolve them,installation fees"
Overall "Teksavvy is an okay company if everythng is working but if you have issues with your service it's impossible to get it fixed"

·VMedia
Well I've been Teksavvy DSL customer since 2006ish and made the switch to there cable service in October 2010 everything seemed to worked fine until I noticed in December the problems. I've been getting timeouts that cause my online games,torrents to disconnect,my web pages and You tube to lagg out basicly making 10/512 cable connection useless. I've spoken to every senior tech at Teksavvy none can solve my issues they even sent a Rogers tech, out mind you he was clueless and blamed my modem,computer,router,NIC,Teksavvy. I've given up on getting the issue repaired and figure there is just no resolution because Rogers and Teksavvy doesn't care. I'll be switching back to Teksavvy DSL dry loop ( disconnecting my landline with TSI ) sometime this month and will be taking a loss on the installation fees,cost of the cable modem. This leaves me sort of angry at Teksavvy because I wasted all that money and time for nothing but I know there only so much Teksavvy can do. Well my advice to new cable users is if everything is working your gold but if your having issues your screwed because Teksavvy doesn't care to fix customers issues.

I'm updating my review of Teksavvy because the company has taken a major nosedive. I've recently started experiencing nightly disconnections not to mention all the new issues with the company one,two hour wait times on the phone for tech support, poor or no tech support,congested and oversold POI's,nightly slow downs and most annoying of all blaming Rogers for everything with no resolutions for technical issues. I can no longer recommend this company to anyone and I'm considering switching to another ISP myself.

member for 7.5 years, 2047 visits, last login: 171 days ago

Comments:

Review by torontoitguy See Profile

• Location: M8Z0B8
Good "Decent order process. Installed on time"
Bad "Can not use service in the evenings"
Overall "Do not choose TekSavvy. Rogers will force them out"

Order to live went without a hitch...

The sales/Install coordination staff could use more training. The agent I initially called could not find the MAC of my modem in their system... She put me on hold for 5 minutes, and all seem to be fine with the modem/MAC.

Connection installed 29/9 at around 1pm. Decent speeds - 20M/1M (down/up). Then it went downhill in the evening...

I'm on the Scarlett POI.... in the evenings, the service is unusable (.9M/1). My fault, should have read these groups further before putting an order through.

Overall these issues are probably the fault is mostly Rogers'. However, doesn't seem like TekSavvy has a strong enough lobby or regulatory support to keep their customers happy.

Bottom line - Beg Rogers for a discount and stay with them. I will cancel my TekSavvy service after the initial month (prepaid as I bought the Canada Computes bundle).

So disappointed, we not refer my customers to TekSaavy (this was my attempt to test them out).

Comments:

Review by DaJackel See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High Caps"
Bad "3-4 Hour Customer Service Wait Times, Unusable Internet Speeds"
Overall "Stay far away from TekSavvy until they get their act together."

I was switching to TekSavvy from another TPIA and was informed that it would be an easy switch and I was told I'd have a technician scheduled for my install date and I'd receive a call with the exact time. The day before my internet was supposed to be activated I still hadn't received the call regarding my installation so I called TekSavvy myself. After waiting 80 minutes to get through to someone I was informed that I couldn't be activated as a switch and I'd have to instead be set up as a new account.

Wonderful. I complained and was told I'd get priority installation and it would be scheduled for 3 days from the call. 3 Days later I got a call saying they couldn't have an installer in at that time and it would be delayed another few days.

Fast forward a few more days and I did have my internet up and running. For 2 days.

After that my line was cut cold (it WAS marked as TPIA). I had to wait another 8 days to get a Rogers tech to come out and look at it. He came and did his business but I was still not able to connect. Spent another hour waiting to get a hold of TekSavvy and they said they'd put in another request to Rogers and would call me back. The next day I called TekSavvy and got someone else who did something magical that the other support rep could not do (apparently?) and my internet was finally working again.

Of course, that is if you call 300kb/s download speeds 'working'.

I was also promised a credit for my downtime but of course I never got that. When I received my bill from the accounting department and mentioned the credit they said they heard nothing about it.

Stay far away.

member for 3.1 years, 49 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by TKWizard See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely fast internet (In the mornings/afternoon), no caps."
Bad "SLOW IN THE EVENINGS"
Overall "Stay away from it if you're in the Dupont POI area, you WILL be ignored!"

I used to be a customer of Primus and they announced their UBB plan as predicted. So I quickly signed up for Teksavvy on the 31st of December over the phone and gave the necessary information and date of installation. I ordered the 15/1 Extreme Cable Pro package. All that was smooth.

The Modem (SB6120) came to the Post office on Friday January 7th, but it was picked up on Saturday Jan 8th, due to work.

On January 10th, the technician came 30 mins earlier than the scheduled install time (4:30pm) and drilled a hole in our house for the cable to be connected to the Demarc point and the modem upstairs.

After a few hours wait and a dumb mistake of putting in the wrong RJ-45 cable, the service was activated!

Ran a speed test and got a 24.17 Up (With speedboost) and 1 down as advertised. I also do not have the problems that some people have been getting on the Dupont POI where my house is located during peak times.

Tried to download a 14 Gig video, finished in almost 2 1/2 hours. WAY Better than the ultra slow take over 20 hrs to get it @ 320KB/sec..

So far I'm very happy with the service and I would recommend it to everyone!

-edit- September 28.

The Dupont POI has been ridiculously slow in the evenings for the last 1/3 of the year and Teksavvy completely ignores us. I have already put in a ticket into the Direct Forum and its being ignored there. Its like we do not exist.

Yesterday's result.

»/im/98883322/29814.png

My downstream is between 591000000 Hz and 615000000 Hz on four channels with a S2N ratio of 37-38dB.

Please stop dropping the ball Teksavvy.