TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jo207 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "High bandwidth limit"
Bad "Service"
Overall "Customer service has dropped dramatically."

The biggest disappoint of all has been their customer service. I had made a call to switch from their DSL service to their Cable service. They had forgotten to cancel the DSL service however and I did not notice that they been charging me both services for almost a year due to automatic payments. I had requested for a refund on the DSL service and dealt with 3 managers and all have failed to prove that any of this was my fault. Yet, they refuse to grant the refund.

I have been a customer of Teksavvy since they were a very young company. I was initially pleased by their prices, customer service reps, and connection reliability but more recently, I have been very disappointed with Teksavvy on all aspects.

They could have kept my business for years to come had they granted the refund (though miniscule to a growing company like Teksavvy) but I guess they are willing to lose more money in the long run. I have since cancelled all services with Teksavvy. I am just glad there are still competitors out there that seem more promising than Teksavvy.

Comments:

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

question

I have to address the elephant in the room...

How did you go a year without noticing a charge of $30-50 a month?

I'm not excusing their mistake if it was or wasn't for not cancelling DSL for you but i'm seriously curious

Re: question

Automatic payments, don't really check invoices that come in via emails as it had been very consistent over the years previous to the service change-over.

I agree, I should have checked sooner. But trusting Teksavvy at the time to make the cancellation was very easy to do because of the experience I had with them early on.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by jo207:

automatic on credit card or bank? Either way i monitor my credit card and bank like a hawk, so i guess that's why i mainly ask. Every cent that leaves has a job so it's not like $10 was taken and easily missed.

What solution did they offer or none?

2 edits

Re: question

Automatic on credit card, very easily missed transaction among other purchases on the card (i.e groceries, gas, etc.)

Not much help in terms of solutions, they said they would review the recording when the change-over request had been made but could not "find it" and therefore will not grant the refund. If they can't prove that it was my mistake, and clearly my whole purpose of doing the change-over was to cancel DSL for cable, then why should I pay for their mistake?

I don't typically go online to write reviews on anything, but I just had to write this review on Teksavvy because of this experience. You can tell I have been a member for years here and have just logged in now just to write this review.

spock

join:2012-07-08
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: question

No offense but if I was you I would read every credit card statement you get every month and check it for odd transactions. Last Christmas I had 10 small random charges on my card. They were so random and only in the 40-50$ range I never noticed them. One of the transactions caught my eye and thats when I noticed the rest. Apparently my card was copied and being used around town.

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Service overlap

Hello there,

First off allow me to say that we do have some customers who have both DSL and Cable service active with us. Some do this because they work from home and want a backup connection in case there are any outages. Others surely have their own reasons. We do not make assumptions on behalf of our customer and typically the customer should give us a call once the new service is working properly if they wish to cancel their current service.

With that being said though, this obviously should have been explained to you when the order for cable service was made. Now, if you have already spoken to management multiple times I can make no guarantees here, but if you can message me your account info, or post it here: »TekSavvy Direct I'd like to look into this for you one more time.

TSI-Keith

Re: Service overlap

I understand that some customers have both DSL and cable as it was their request. There was no need to make assumptions for me as my request was simple really, cancel DSL and install cable. I did not call just to make a request for cable and expect to cancel DSL on a separate call. I was fine with a minor service interruption during the change-over. Regardless, I do not recall being advised to call back for the cancellation. Also, I was under the impression that Teksavvy was capable of coordinating a cancellation and installation simultaneously as both connections were Teksavvy services.

As well-meaning the managers and staff have been, they have not been able to help. However, I do appreciate you looking into this matter.

Review by behrouzef See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Bad "Extremely Angry"
Overall "If service does not change i will go back to rogers along with all the people i helped switch over."

I am very angry and unsatisfied with the service and quality of teksavvy for the whole time i have been a customer, when i had rogers i was getting 12 - 15 Mbps allways never any lower even at peak times, now that i have teksavvy, im paying for 15 Mbps which now they changed it to advertise as 18Mbps on their site and what do i get? on average i get .5 Mbps to 4 Mbps which is lower than their basic cable 24.95 service most of the time, and thats just the beginning,, i have been doing multiple tests on a daily basis and my ping and quality tests all ways every single time are either an E or F grade which is very concerning, significant packet loss and line delays.. and the speed im getting is not worth 40 plus tax at all, i am getting scammed to the max.

when it comes to getting their money they are very strict and to the point but when it comes to people getting ripped off they dont care, their customer service reps are rude and do not show any sign of caring for the customers or the company, i dont know if they are slaves that dont get paid or if they just hate their jobs but they are not representatives of the company in any way, its like talking to some random person about your issues.

If i dont start getting what im paying for i will demand a refund for the duration of my service that i have been paying 40 plus tax for 15 - 18 Mbps and instead getting .5 - 4 Mbps..

i will give it another month and see if this continues, if nothing improves i will look up exactly when i should cancel so that they cant charge me for another month and i will just sign a contract with rogers or bell. AT LEAST THERE I LOSE 5 DOLLARS HERE AND 2 DOLLARS THERE, BUT EVER SINCE I HAVE SWITCHED TO TEKSAVVY I AM LOSING 30 DOLLARS EVERY MONTH BECAUSE THIS SERVICE WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE EVEN UNDER THEIR BASIC CABLE SERVICE FOR 24.95

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1862243···G][/URL]

Comments:
behrouzef

North York, ON

update

at 12:34 am !!!!!!!!!!!!! this is every day and night not just peak hours

Re: update

join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Help

Hello,

If you could please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile There looks to be something wrong. Please allow us to look at what is wrong.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Re: Help

Ok i Sent you my name and number, do i still need to repost in the direct forum?

Review by rjej123 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "The reliability of the service"

I've been with Teksavvy since April 2009 and used to be a very happy customer.

As many others, I started having big problems with my Internet speed a few months ago. Every evening 1-2 Mbps instead of 24 Mbps. I've been patient for a long time, but I finally decided to start "solving" the problem. Countless phone calls to the Support, the same investigation steps every time, new and shiny ticket with Rogers every day. I finally asked if I could get the discount for my service being so slow for a long time ? The answer was NO.

Finally, I decided to cancel my service. The lady from the cancellation department was very nice and asked me if I would like to switch to DSL instead. I said fine, but I need to try it for a few days or week because I used to have problems with the DSL. The answer was NO. You cannot try. You need to buy the new service. Ok, but can I at least have the installation fee waived for being your customer for a long time, referring so many people to you and now switching ONLY because YOU have problems with delivering me the service as promised ? Guess what the answer was: NO !

She managed to convince me to try "the best" technician they had to fix my issue after promising me that I could cancel my service at any time and I would stop paying immediately if that didn't work. I agreed, but of course again the technician-magician didn't fix the problem. Because of that delay, caused by the cancellation department, my next billing cycle has started and when I asked for the immediate cancellation and refund of my money for the unused period, the answer was... NO ! I can cancel my service at any time, but they don't refund my money, even if I don't have the service anymore. I'm stuck until the end of March.

Come on, guys ! Even Rogers refunds the money for the days you didn't use.

I can believe some Teksavvy problems are related to Rogers network problems, but what I've recently experienced proved Teksavvy has a huge problem with the customer service. How can you answer NO to every single question ? It seems the customer doesn't have any value to the company at all.. I tried to support Teksavvy for a long time. Not anymore.

Comments:

Review by ninithepug See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Relative cheap if you do download a lot"
Bad "Terrible Terrible Terrible customer service"
Overall "IF everything went well, you are lucky, if you need help, there simply isn't any, you are on your own"

To anyone want to signup with teksavvy, mind you, if the service is working, you are good, if not, you on your own, do not expect any help, and.. watch your billing cycle

I signed up with 24m cable service, early last month (Feb 11) speed turns to 100k when I download, start calling them, do all kinds of test, creating tickets every day until (Feb 22) I finally giveup since support guy tells me rogers tell them my modem should have signal. for god sake, I've been calling them for 10 times and they still didn't figure out it is slow speed I am suffering not the signal.

So later I ask around, eventually someone here tell me my area is 'stop sell, the fix will start in April'. I just don't trust teksavvy again. but I made a mistake I didn't call right away to cancel.

Called in today, was told my billing date is Feb 28, the march payment was already charged. So I ask, it is not fair to charge me for March since I am getting not even 10% of the speed what I suppose to get from Feb. the support guy told me he cant do anything, start transfer me back and forth between customer service and tech, an hour later (I swear this is how long it takes ) a customer service supervisor talked to me said since this is a prepaid service and I am getting signal all the time, they can't refund anything for both Feb and March. Ok, I understand you may not refund me a penny for Feb, but for March this is just the 2nd day and i just dont understand why cant teksavvy immediately cancel me and refund the rest.

It's not cheap to start with teksavvy, spend $100 to get the modem, another 60 for activation, bumped up the price last month, having paid all this, Teksavvy have no support, does not care their customer at all.

I am so sad at teksavvy...I do not recommend teksavvy service at all, it is a gamble, if it works, you are good, otherwise, do not count on the help...since there is just not any. Oh, watch your billing cycle, since it is a 'prepaid service'.

Comments:

Review by tonytoronto See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Ah, yeah before they were great"
Bad "Greed, horrible hold times, cs sucks."
Overall "No longer recommended, stay away."

Well, they were the best in the business, they have turned into one of the worst.overselling seems to be the new way doing business, it's got to the point wind data service faster and more reliable. Not sure what happened to them, but seems greed as taken over. customer service hold times brutal, the more they oversell the more people will call. The thoushounds of people say they wired will never be enough when service has gone to shit the way it has. 15mb payed service to get 1-2 mb at best, at times can't even load simple websites. From one that religiously recommended them, now asking you stay away. Until they change the way they do business, look somewhere else. Blaming Rogers no longer works, it's your network, you the one sending me invoices, not Rogers. It's not the local node that's congested, my neighbor has no problems hitting 50mb when I can even surf the web.

Comments:

Review by droos99 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "It was working fine for about 6 months"
Bad "Worst customer service ever"
Overall "Do not use these guys - such a pain to deal with"

I have been using Teksavvy cable for just over 6 months. Initially the install coordination was a bit of trouble and it seemed it took weeks to get a slot. Initially the speeds were considerably slower than advertised - promised 12 Mbps but was only getting around 3. After a week or so the speeds increased and I didn`t really have many issues until the last 2 weeks.

And the last 2 weeks were so frustrating I decided to cancel the service, this company has no concept of customer service. My internet initially went down on October 28th and I spent an hour troubleshooting with a tech rep until I actually had to get off the phone becuase I had to be somewhere. The next day I find out that there was an outage effecting large parts of Toronto.

Monday night I call back and the outage in Toronto is fixed but I still have no internet - I call back and go through all the troubleshooting again, another 45 minutes on the phone, this time the tech thinks it is a DHCP problem and must contact Rogers. The tech tells me that they will contact me over the next 48 hours to give me an update if the service has not been restored.

Wednesday night and no call. I call back and find out that Rogers has replied and said that they found nothing wrong. So the tech does another 45 minutes of trouble shooting with me. He thinks it is a DHCP problem, again. Sends the ticket back to Rogers again. This time he tells me to call back in 2 days to see if there is an update.

Call Back friday - Rogers has provided an update - it will be another 2 days. The tech tells me to call back Sunday if service isn`t restored. Sunday comes and goes and no service.

Service is finally restored Monday night (tonight) and I call to see what type of credit TekSavvy will offer. Although my service has been down for 11 days the tech initially only offers a 7 day credit. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold. 5 minutes later the tech comes back and says that as a courtesy they will give me the 11 days credit. I ask if they will provide any further credit for the inconvenience of the service interruption and having to spend so much time on the phone with them. He won`t. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I get put on hold for 5 minutes. Tech returns and says he is connecting me to a supervisor. 34 minutes pass and I decide to call into Teksavvy on my other line.

The sales guy gives me the same run around and won`t let me talk to a supervisor.

I had to cancel my service. These guys don`t care about the customer at all - when there is a problem with Rogers they just sit on their hands and don`t do anything. Plus they will not do anything to make the customer happy. All I wanted was an additional week comped. I had to cancel just for the principle of this exercise in frustration.

This never happened when I was with Rogers.

Save yourself the headache - take a pass on TekSavvy

Update - Feb 10

I ended up staying with TekSavvy only to see their speeds drop drastically in recent weeks. Paying for 12 MBPS and getting 1 on a regular basis is pretty terrible. After paying for the installation and modem Teksavvy is turning out to be pretty terrible value.

Comments:

Review by vitamin_d See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick response"
Bad "Inneffective response"
Overall "Not as good as they have been and getting worse."

I moved from Rogers to TSI and for several months all was well, so much so that I became a big advocate for them.

Nov 13 2011 - DHCP issues began. I was unable to get connected as an IP address was not being allocated by my modem.

I understand that the cause of the problem is Rogers, but the way this issue has been handled by TekSavvy has changed my opinion of them completely.

After 3ish weeks of calling regularly (almost every day, sometimes twice a day) for updates and using the TekSavvy direct support forum I had had enough.
I called up and asked for a temporary DSL connection because the Internet service that I rely on TSI providing me over cable was non-existant and I could no longer afford to spend time chasing them up for a solution.

Now they have managed to get the DSL connection wrong as well. Further delays, further cost and still no end in sight.

I'm still sticking it out because I hope that TSI can live up to their reputation, but right now they are falling at every hurdle.

Will update this review when/if there is any change in my situation.

UPDATE:

After spending almost an hour speaking to various representatives from customer service and technical support I thought I had finally got through to someone who had taken ownership of this issue and was going to get things resolved. He assured me that he would make a few calls and get back to me shortly. 24 hours later, no calls.

I have had to call again, and have now been on the phone for another 35 minutes and have gotten nowhere.

All I am asking for is a reliable internet connection and now, some compensation for the hours I have spent on the phone over the last 3.5 weeks, but it seems that no-one as TekSAvvy can make this happen.

Comments:

Review by randar007 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "$39.70 more in my pocket each month."
Bad "No concern, caring, ownership, explanation or resolution of my slow speeds"
Overall "If it isn't resolved by 2012 I am quitting Teksavvy."

Over 6 months of 2 meg speeds on a 14 meg profile without any resolution. I know see that I have to provide my own "resolution" to my slow speed issue.

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Not Rogers"
Bad "Unstable speeds, downtime, bad speeds ...expensive ...bad speeds"
Overall "Its not Rogers ...?!!!!"

Teksavvy is awesome, if you can think of something you want out of an ISP Teksavvy will deliver. Unless they are restricted of course. I have no complaints about them.

The only reason I have this a lower rating for Install Co-ordination was because Rogers failed to show up. Fully 100% Rogers fault. Teksavvy was nice enough to call me and let me know they were not going to show, Rogers was not so nice to inform me.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be with teksavvy? Why pay Rogers for half the service twice the price?

UPDATE: It has almost been a year, and I've experienced a few issues here and there with being disconnected. I did at one point go a few days without internet because there was an issue where they ran out of IP addresses. This was annoying say the least and it took awhile for me to actually get in contact with support. However the problem was resolved later.

Also I often get very very very slow speeds, I would say I get around 2mb/s connection speed. I play online games and I would say 40% of the time I experience really bad lag and find it hard to play online.

Overall Teksavvy isn't so bad, but I've had a bad experience, I would like to see why my connection is so bad and people I know in my area or in other areas that have Teksavvy have no issues. From what I've been told I'm on the Dupont POI and it has issues, which if this is true I'm disappointed that I'm one of the affected customers by this.

UPDATE #2: Just over a year and I have to say the service just gets worse and worse. I've now downgraded my service to the 12M one, as I never got past 10mb/s on speed tests. I've had horrible speeds, and lots of bursts. While playing games sometimes I'd have very bad lag, other times it was fine. Overall I didn't feel it was worth paying more for getting less. Even after changing services I stll get HORRIBLE speeds, past few days I've been doing speed tests and average about a 5M connection sometimes it goes up to 8 but thats not enough.

UPDATE: I've edited the ratings to reflect overall, recently it takes a week for teksupport to reply, and the few times I tried to call I was on hold too long and gave up. The connection is horrible, and its not very reliable at these speeds and the fact they had so many problems with the dupont POI which I was on. Also at these prices we should be getting way better internet, it sucks Canada is 10 years behind.

Comments:

Review by thanos750 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better Caps"
Bad "Unusable speeds after 7pm"
Overall "Paid for 24/1 got 1/1"

Modem delivered on time. Installation was fine. Speeds are terrible. They blame Rogers but unfortunately I'm not paying Rogers I'm paying Teksavvy. Had to go back to the competitor for same price of 24/1 just a lower cap. Consider joining when they fix their POI issues which have been going on now for literally months. I gave them 2 months to get this in order to no avail. They completely acknowledge the issues and are very upfront and apologetic about it but just try asking for some type of refund...oh no no no...just like everyone they hide behind some clause about 'up to speeds'.

So long.