TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by DaJackel See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High Caps"
Bad "3-4 Hour Customer Service Wait Times, Unusable Internet Speeds"
Overall "Stay far away from TekSavvy until they get their act together."

I was switching to TekSavvy from another TPIA and was informed that it would be an easy switch and I was told I'd have a technician scheduled for my install date and I'd receive a call with the exact time. The day before my internet was supposed to be activated I still hadn't received the call regarding my installation so I called TekSavvy myself. After waiting 80 minutes to get through to someone I was informed that I couldn't be activated as a switch and I'd have to instead be set up as a new account.

Wonderful. I complained and was told I'd get priority installation and it would be scheduled for 3 days from the call. 3 Days later I got a call saying they couldn't have an installer in at that time and it would be delayed another few days.

Fast forward a few more days and I did have my internet up and running. For 2 days.

After that my line was cut cold (it WAS marked as TPIA). I had to wait another 8 days to get a Rogers tech to come out and look at it. He came and did his business but I was still not able to connect. Spent another hour waiting to get a hold of TekSavvy and they said they'd put in another request to Rogers and would call me back. The next day I called TekSavvy and got someone else who did something magical that the other support rep could not do (apparently?) and my internet was finally working again.

Of course, that is if you call 300kb/s download speeds 'working'.

I was also promised a credit for my downtime but of course I never got that. When I received my bill from the accounting department and mentioned the credit they said they heard nothing about it.

Stay far away.

Comments:

Review by TKWizard See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely fast internet (In the mornings/afternoon), no caps."
Bad "SLOW IN THE EVENINGS"
Overall "Stay away from it if you're in the Dupont POI area, you WILL be ignored!"

I used to be a customer of Primus and they announced their UBB plan as predicted. So I quickly signed up for Teksavvy on the 31st of December over the phone and gave the necessary information and date of installation. I ordered the 15/1 Extreme Cable Pro package. All that was smooth.

The Modem (SB6120) came to the Post office on Friday January 7th, but it was picked up on Saturday Jan 8th, due to work.

On January 10th, the technician came 30 mins earlier than the scheduled install time (4:30pm) and drilled a hole in our house for the cable to be connected to the Demarc point and the modem upstairs.

After a few hours wait and a dumb mistake of putting in the wrong RJ-45 cable, the service was activated!

Ran a speed test and got a 24.17 Up (With speedboost) and 1 down as advertised. I also do not have the problems that some people have been getting on the Dupont POI where my house is located during peak times.

Tried to download a 14 Gig video, finished in almost 2 1/2 hours. WAY Better than the ultra slow take over 20 hrs to get it @ 320KB/sec..

So far I'm very happy with the service and I would recommend it to everyone!

-edit- September 28.

The Dupont POI has been ridiculously slow in the evenings for the last 1/3 of the year and Teksavvy completely ignores us. I have already put in a ticket into the Direct Forum and its being ignored there. Its like we do not exist.

Yesterday's result.

»/im/98883322/29814.png

My downstream is between 591000000 Hz and 615000000 Hz on four channels with a S2N ratio of 37-38dB.

Please stop dropping the ball Teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by joewahba See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High cap limits"
Bad "1mb/s download during peak ours, 2 hour wait times for service.."
Overall "Much worse service than Rogers"

I've been a Teksavvy extreme cable (15/mbs) customer for a month and have decided to go back to Rogers. I've been getting 500kb downloading during 5pm-2am for the past couple of weeks. They put the stop sale on now, but they should have calculated the strain this customer base would put on their current bandwidth. I'm not impressed at all by their support, they haven't offered to reimburse customers for their error and after waiting 2 hours to get to tech support they simply ask you to send you more statistics. This isn't how you run a business, I'm taking mine elsewhere.

Why would you expand your customer base when you knew you didn't have the bandwidth to provide service? I can't even download youtube vids from 5pm on. I'm pissed off and angry and when I call the customer service they recommend I wait 2 hours to talk to Tech Support. Tech support recommends I keep them up to date on the shitty service they're providing and standby for the next few weeks while Rogers "upgrades" their service.

I experienced slowdowns with Rogers too, but they were apologetic, they comp'd me the months that I wasn't getting the advertised download rates. They sent out service techs to try and remedy the service. They didn't tell me to wait while i'm charged 50 bucks a month for dial up service. If you're in KW you should forego tek and just use an AOL 870 free hours cd-rom. You'll be glad you did.

Comments:

Review by Xeliax See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not Bell, Not Rogers, Not Videotron"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds when you need your connection the most (evenings)"
Overall "Avoid until problems are resolved"

I was happy to leave Bell ADSL for TSI Cable but now I regret since I don't get my advertised speeds and can't stream online content... which is extremely important for me since I don't have cable TV or anything else.

No matter who provides the lines to TSI (Rogers, or Videotron in Quebec) if I understand this right, TSI rents volume from them. As much as I pay for the apartment I rent, if the apartment has a problem I can go against my landlord and get this fixed rapidly to get what I paid for. I don't know but if TSI signed an agreement with Rogers mentioning that they can't sue Rogers, then they, and we the customers, are in trouble... but I really don't know about this... just questioning myself.

Would it be also possible that Rogers wants to drive business away from TSI ? In any case, even though I'd like to stick with TSI for what they represent, this is business and we shouldn't have to pay for speeds as slow as 0.5 Mbps when we are paying for much higher speeds as per our agreement with TSI. And even though TSI used to represent a way out of Bell and Rogers (and Videotron in Quebec), if they don't have the power or means to make Rogers deliver what TSI pays for, then in no way I'll be sticking with TSI. And Bell/Rogers will win again unfortunately.

I'll give 4 more weeks to TSI to have the speed in the Montreal area fixed to what they should be, then I'm out. It will then have been 12 weeks that I will have waited... I believe that's fair enough for a small company I want to support as much as possible... but won't if they can't deliver.

I didn't give a high score for install co-ordination since on the 2 days that their provider was supposed to show up at my place, it didn't. Wasted my time. TSI should address with their providers since it seems I'm not the only one impacted by this.

My review is not really good, but I just hope it will kick TSI's behind in order to get it all together and start delivering as they used to. Please don't tell me to send a PM, I've addressed the situation with TSI through other means than this web site.

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by tazooo See Profile

Good "Bandwidth limits"
Bad "Speeds have been terrible for almost a month now and there doesn't seem to be a close fix"
Overall "Until this is fixed, do not join. I'm already considering switching providers."

I was waiting for Teksavvy to make it's way to my city and when it did, i was probably one of the first to signup with them. I called and waited for about 10-15 minutes and made my order very quick. The rep on the phone was nice and did a good job. We had a little miscommunication with the name but that was resolved pretty quick in the direct forums. That's one of the good things about this service. The direct forums and phone reps respond quickly and help out when they can.

My plan is the 10mbps/0.5mbps one with 300GB. So far i haven't been anywhere near that but it's good to be free to download what i want or watch what i what without the pathetic 60GB limit with Rogers. For less money and high caps, this decision worked great for me. The speeds are always a little higher than advertised when i tested them and the service has been reliable and consistent. The price difference between Rogers and Teksavvy (speed plans) wasn't too different since i had discounts with Rogers but the caps made a huge difference.

The only hiccup i had on day 1 was with Rogers randomly coming by and cutting my cable when i wasn't home. Fortunately the Rogers rep was a rep based out of my city so i gave them a call and they resolved it completely within a couple of days. I contacted Rogers the day before to make sure they didn't touch anything but of course that message didn't go through properly. This was more of a problem with Rogers but Teksavvy should work a little harder with them to get these small problems resolved.

Overall, i've been using Teksavvy for almost two months and it has been great. No problems other than the initial ones and i'm extremely happy with their service.

UPDATE: So it's been a few months but it seems like the grace time is over. Speeds have been way below average for the past month (around 2mbps most of the time with 5 MAX) and the lack of feedback from Teksavvy has been appalling. I'm definitely not impressed right now and i'm looking at switching providers if this doesn't change soon.

Comments:

Review by zbw68973631 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "High quality when it works properly"
Bad "Sometime it does not work properly"

Almost have been with Teksavvy's extreme pro cable for three months now, the overall experience is good, nice speed, no usage limit, $60 per month but worth it. However, I don't know what happened these days, the connection is being very unstable, almost losing connection every 1-2 minutes. I tried to contact the technical support but I was told that they may have to send Rogers technical team to my house, and there is a possible cost of $90 dollars.

After I making the phone call, it worked nicely for like 4 hours, so I called back to cancel the appointment with Rogers. But unfortunately it fails again, during the time I was typing this review, it lost connection for 3 times.

I will be glad to stay with them if the thing works properly as before, but right now I am very disappointed.

5-31-2011 Update

Now after I called TS's tech support Rogers made some adjustment so the service is back online now. BUT the tragedy is that now Rogers BANS one of my download software called "Thunder Network", and I spent a lot of money on their membership. They did it without sending me any acknowledgement, I just can't understand, if they do not allow their customers to download a lot, what's the reason for me to spend $59 a month for the Extreme Pro? The only reason I choose TS's top level cable is because it has the highest speed and no usage limit, now that only seems to be my own wishes.

7-27-2011 Update

They keep blocking one of my downloading software even I do NOTHING with it. Here is the speed test results.

9-20-2011 Update

See the speedtest result I had at 9:22 PM in Mississauga.

Comments:

Review by CID128292 See Profile

• Install: about -1 days
Good ""Good" is not the synonym of the word "TekSavvy""
Bad ""Bad" = incorrect information of technical support (lies in other words)"
Overall "my 170$ of service activation = no internet service at all (zero) provided by the company"

CID128292

The only good thing was with teksavvy's services is a lady on the phone that sounds really nice when you could get hold of her today at 5 pm. After this time company literally dies. What can I say 24/7 support when I am calling right now from 730pm to 930pm non stop for on a connection that sadly is not mine, but rogers that lags every 3seconds through skype, because guess what... I have spend all my money on my cell phone calling you first 30 minutes, taking a note from that lovely lady speaking with me today at 5pm that stated "...it is easier to get hold of us at the evening or at night...". Hopefully she wasn't talking at the same time with someone else.

Next, before going home from work at the same 5pm I got transferred by that lady to the tech support and tech guy with a good voice was talking to me as supposed to a customer.. But...

First of all, activation date was yesterday 9/13/2011 and I took a day off from work in order to be here (at home) and wait for tech support. You should have a certain time when you would come to my place or call me on the phone but I have never received a phone call on the same date when I should of get an activation. And your certain time is somewhere between 8am and 5pm which is absurd obviously.

No one came. (Dot) Perfect... But today (9/14/2011) I am receiving a text message on my phone stating that service was actually activated. Just this moment I thought I am a happy customer again and that is a time when I called tech support and they began to explain to me that they actually activated it outside of a house and everything I need to do is to plug in my modem to my computer and to a phone line.

+ They said that modem is already configured and BOLD[ guy was sure about that ]!!! At the same time when I was talking to tech support I was looking at this page: »www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp. While being on the phone I was also making a research just to be sure what he is talking about. So he stated that he did set up Routed Mode that appears he obviously didn't when I came back from work to test it. Also again he stated surely that internet connection on my address is activated and I just need to connect all in all...

Outcome:
-i took a day off from work, no sign of a person near the door
-i tried everything in teksavvy's support page (»www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp), nothing worked
-through the same page I set up myself routed mode for modem doing teksavvy's work (it appears I have nothing else to do)
-yes I have windows 7 and yes I changed that file permission and renamed it and copied required one
-so i looked in documentation and checked all rooms of a house for internet connection, only Power indicator works
-i spent 2 hours calling you for support... nothing... no response... (value = null)
-in total for two days i spent 6 hours trying to fix a problem myself for which I paid in total 170$ for the second day and stayed home for no reason first one

I must say that support (person that talks on the phone) is a face of a company especially in your case. Giving incorect information to customers and lying to them would never make a good business to you and to your customers in the long run.

This is disrespect to me and my time in the first place.

Concussion:
1. I would really appreciate to have day and my 6 (now 7 hours) back. But, well, sad fact is that it would probably never happen.
2. I would also appreciate to solve my problem till Saturday this week, because we are all people and I have a family that waits for my in skype every weekend.
3. I would want a refund of your services you provided if 2nd point fails

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by spal2010 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "I'm no longer paying for this bad service"
Bad "New activation and now cancellation is a nightmare"
Overall "customers beware - another smaller version of Rogers"

[Update Aug 31 2011]

Teksavvy is another Rogers, I call to cancelled back on August 11, 2011 and I'm still waiting for the modem to be release which was suppose to be completed back on Aug 16, then 22 now who knows. No callback or followup by anyone. This company needs to get its act together before people start leaving in mass.

[History]

Ordered internet cable on Feb 16 and it's now Mar 16. I'm still without internet.

Tech Support is rude and waiting for hours before I get a customer support rep and now waiting for a manager callback.

This is the major problem with Teksavvy, placing the blame anywhere else and not doing much for the new customer. It's like they are working with Rogers making it difficult as possible to get internet service.

[Update March 21]

Spent over a week trying to setup an activation date with Rogers tech, never happened.
Contact sales and technical support, refuse to give full refund said it is not their fault. Advise to setup a technical call and a request to send out a Rogers tech on Sunday March 20. I waited all day, emailed Teksavvy to see if Rogers is coming or not. No reply, no return call and no Rogers Tech show up. Wasted another day.

This is getting ridiculous, please reply to email at the very least.

8:00pm - Rogers cable guy came around 6:45pm and from the cable room, switch on proper cable line going to the living room. Previous owner had cable in living room and cable internet to bedroom. I'm now on-line with speed of 3.6M/5K - not 10meg, but right now it's better than being off-line.

Comments:

Review by s0dhi See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Promise and Price"
Bad "Unable to resolve issues"
Overall "If you rely on your connection, avoid them."

·TekSavvy DSL
I signed up for Teksavvy cable internet service after using Rogers cable internet services for the past 15 years. In those 15 years, I have had, at most, 5 days where I have had an issue.

The switch to Teksavvy was very easy. On the cut-over day, I simply switched my Rogers rental modem for the Thompson modem sold to me by Teksavvy. The entire switch took about 30 minutes.

However, since I switched to Teksavvy, I have had an issue where the internet service disconnects multiple (3-5) times a day for periods of 1-3 minutes. I am an IT professional that works from home daily and I rely on my connection. These disconnects have had a rather large impact on my daily activities.

Within the first 5 days of the switch, I reported the issue to Teksavvy and have spent the last 20+ days performing troubleshooting, re-arranging my devices on my network to facilitate the escalation and troubleshooting of this issue. The interesting fact is that I have been in my house using Rogers for 10 years and have never experienced this issue in the past.

To date I have no resolution to the issue - in fact the escalation to Rogers resulted in the reply that the modem is offline. Magically, I still use this "offline" modem to write this review.

Teksavvy's hands are tied. Aside from repeatedly telling me that if Rogers doesn't find an issue that I would be charged and additional $100 for the diagnostic, they have been of little help other than lending a sympathetic ear.

I'm at my wit's end. I have asked for someone to call me if they wish to retain me as a customer. If nobody calls me by next week, I will be cancelling this service and returning to Rogers.

If you rely on your connection, I would suggest you approach Teksavvy with caution. My experience tells me that even though everything should work and switch may be easy, if you run into problems, those problems will become YOUR problems, not Teksavvy's or Rogers' problems.

member for 3.2 years, 840 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Hawgpappy See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Nothing so far"
Bad "Everything so far"
Overall "Don't use these guys their service is the worst ever"

In July I enquired to hook up with Teksavvy was told I had to disconnect from Rogers first.

Made a disconnect date and called Teksavvy, they said when Rogers disconnects their tech would connect. That was Aug. 14. Monday I called for no service was told a ticket would be made. Tuesday still no service was told they had the wrong modem info even though I went through that info with them on Monday. New ticket so now I have to wait another 24 hrs. Waited to call back on Thursday was told that they would escalate it. Another 24 hour wait. Friday afternoon I called again and was told there was no response from Rogers so they would escalate it to the second level. Today Monday one week later I was told they responded and said a tech had to come out and instal the modem. Ridiculous because I am watching cable tv and talking to these guys on a cable phone and the modem is telling me I am already connected. Every time I phoned these guys in the last week I was on hold for a minimum half hour and when I left a callback request no one called. Asked to speak to a manager and they never called me back either. No one seems to be able to do anything about this and won't give me the name of anyone higher in the company. Called customer service and was told there was nothing they could do, I had to talk with tech. This is only a partial recount of my experience so far. It goes on and on, the blind leading the blind. So 8 days and counting and I am no further ahead than I was then. If I ran my business this way I would be out of business. Anyway I am not giving up. I'll get some satisfaction sooner or later.