Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by morisato See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Order process was Simple."
Bad "Rogers made me wait an extra day for Provisioning."

Order is Complete Now on Day 1

Sent in a beta preorder form for Atpia Cable 150/10 Package teksavvy mailed my modem out and forgot to bill me rofl p:0 so i politely asked for a bill so i can properly pay for it all But So far Presales Contact and Installation Info has been great 2 thumbs up to marc and andre. I

So on Install day today i was eager got my install @ 7:52 am all seemed to be going well Until about.. 7:53 am! rogers did not provision me so i spent the day resetting my modem every 30 minutes alll Day long p:) walked like 50 storeys worth of stairs in the process rofl. good exercise.

Bright side - Tsi Andre Called me to see if it was working - proactively It was not so we pushed a ticket into rogers to get it fixed. Will post The rest as it happens... My precious... Where is the
Precious.,..

So Another Day passed it is now been a full 48 hours since my rogers tech left and My Connection is still not live No fault of teksavvy though they have a ticket in and have been pushing for it.. Sigggh!

I woke Up on April 11th 10 Am Reset the Modem as per Andres PM and Now its working Speed tests @ non prime time are great Ip Does Geo locate to Nunavut Though. Will Update This review in approx 1 weeks time

So its been working fine for over a year now awaiting the new customer portal for the Primetime throttle to allow me to have unlimited on the cheap all in all teksavvy is doing good.

Now with Zap the Cap Functionality I get Unlimited Data at a Discounted rate and only get slowed down for 4 hours a day, Its very Handy! granfathered atm on 150/10 waiting for the new modems to show up so i can Jump to 250/20 if they offer it.!

member for 7 years, 1502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Glad to hear your return to TekSavvy has been a positive experience for you. We're delighted to have you back as part of the family!

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with along the way.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for updating your review Morisato!
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

off peak?

are you still getting over 150Mbps off peak?
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

Re: off peak?

No rogers removed Speed Boost from Third party lines A few months ago so Now u just Get the raw speed u ordered always.
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Review by audiofool See Profile

• Location: London Ont
Good "Consistent speed, keep fighting the good fight where they can"
Bad "Email has had more than it's share of issues lately"
Overall "Great value, great performance, very happy here."

I ordered the rCable 25/2 profile a year and a half ago. Ordering went smoothly and the sales rep was very helpful and knowledgable and was able to answer all of my questions and provided guidance.

Transistion from Tek DSL to rCable went very smoothly. Despite the fear and loathing instilled by tales of installation no-shows, the Rogers tech arrived as arranged, installation completed with the DCM476 and the work order was cleared within 30 mins of his leaving my house, allowing me to be online in short order.

Not that this is a Tek issue, but when the Rogers tech arrived he asked if we had TV cable installed already as his info did not support this. When I assured him that we had he then asked if we were paying for it. Nice. Real nice.

member for 14.4 years, 2160 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review

Hello audiofool.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our service.

We understand that our email service has not been feeling well lately. We hope to have it back in tip top shape very soon.

We are pleased to also read that your transition from DSL to Cable went very smoothly.
Enjoy your service! If you have any problems/concerns/questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

We would be happy to help
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

It is now January 31st, 2015 and I am still just as impressed with TSI as I was during my last review update. I recently upgraded my service to 60/10 easily through the online portal. I was contacted by email within 24 hours to confirm. The TSI representative even suggested that I may want to downgrade to a lower cap to save money since my previous usage was not very high. Despite being told the upgrade takes about 10 business days, it was done in less than 5. Great ISP, great people, great service.

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Cogeco User See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Excellent sign up and installation coordination"
Bad "No problems so far"
Overall "No problem"

I had this service installed (over Cogeco cable) for a relative in another city who needed basic internet. It seems the Cable 10 Lite package for $34.95 that I ordered in December 2013 has been discontinued, since the current lowest price in her postal code is now $39.95 for a 15 Mbps service. I assume her service will be grandfathered, otherwise I will look at going back to a Cogeco bundle again.

I placed this order by phone since I did not want the modem shipped to the service address. The TekSavvy rep was very knowledgeable and helpful and was able to answer all my questions. The calendar days to install were 23 but I placed the order on Christmas eve. My relative is not a demanding, high volume user but for her purposes everything has worked fine since the Jan 15th, 2014 install date.

Comments:

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

Thank you for your review!!!

Hi there!

Thank you very much for leaving a review for us!

We're happy that the service is functioning well!

As for the price change, unfortunately, current plans will not be grandfathered in, but rather will be bumped to the newer version / price that's currently listed on our website.

If it hasn't already done so, the price change will take effect for existing customers as of Feb. 15. So, while the speed will be bumped up, so will the price in this instance. Unfortunately the current package cannot be grandfathered. I'm terribly sorry about this.

If you have any other questions or concerns, by all means, please let us know!

Thanks again for your time today! Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

Regards,
TSI Joe-C

Review by wooi See Profile

• Location: 58818
Good "the support was knowledgable and good in general ... not that I need to call them often"
Bad "working with rogers through teksavvy could be painful"

I've been with them for many almost 4 years and recommended a few friends joining them.

Once you're set up, it is usually pretty smooth. The iffy part is the set up ... I was down for a few days without internet because I switched package and rogers conveniently messed up my account. I can't really blame teksavvy for the mess up but I do blame the problem resolution arrangement of teksavvy with rogers. It is a pain.

They are probably not the least cost provider -- they are a few bucks more expensive than their competitors -- and sometimes more expensive than the teasing rates rogers offer me. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it -- knowing that Rogers is going to jack up the prices for everyone if without these independent ISP.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hey wooi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others. I’m sorry to hear that you had a bumpy start with us. We are always trying to work with our vendors based off of our customers’ feedback so that we can improve where we can. Your feedback today is definitely appreciated!

We are happy to have you on board with us and if there is anything that we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to ask!

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Works great, professional staff to talk to."
Overall "Extremely pleased! Great service!"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Ordered this service beginning of Feb 2013 activated start of March. I disconnected my Rogers modem at 8 am plugged in new modem was up and running in minutes. Originally ordered 18 / 1 package with a DCM 476 modem supplied by Teksavvy.

Switched to new 35 / 3 package in June when APTIA was completed in Cambridge. Took approximately 2 weeks to get new package.

Changed packages prior to tiers changing on June 7, 2014, speed changed happened on June 11.
Tested speed it is exactly as stated 45 / 4 works great

Dec 18 2014

Still working decent some evening slow downs and high pings for the last month or so, not a deal breaker.Hopefully fixed soon.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you have been using the service for a few months now without issue. This is wonderful to see. I apologize for the delay in changing your speeds. Generally this is completed within 48 hours however it looks like you made the change when we were having vendor delays. I apologize for that delay.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

TSI ShawnS

re:review

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the update!

Glad to hear that you have the 45/4 package!

Please note that the 45/4 package is no longer available now. You are now on a grandfathered package. Enjoy your service!

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions!
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

canada

Update

Hey Maxx2006!

Thanks for the update on the review, we're are hoping that the issues described in your review have gone away and that you are back on a stable connection. If not, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us.

Review by crt See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Higher bandwidth cap, fair prices, and direct customer service via dslreports forums are all advantages over Rogers."
Bad "Once a year when it's time to upgrade the infrastructure, everything goes back to the dark ages."
Overall "Best residental ISP for Kitchener/Waterloo compared to other competition."

UPDATE - December 9, 2014
Still on 45/4, service since last update has been same as always. But who cares I guess. I doubt their customer service can help me, so I won't even bother. Just going to wait to get back to intermittent 45/4 when Rogers fixes the problem, which I suspect will take 2-3 months.

»www.dropbox.com/s/qwpnwt ··· 0.15.png

Upload test won't even connect.

UPDATE - July 17, 2013
Upgraded to 45/4 from 28/1. Not impressed by the speeds at all.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1967.png

Guess I'll wait for Rogers to fix it, like always. I should have stayed on 28/1. Keeping review scores the same, except for connection reliability. It has been god awful for years.

UPDATE - April 4, 2013
Modem fiasco is being resolved quickly. More updates after I see how the provisioning process goes. Hopefully my current modem does not prematurely deactivate before the new one is ready. Also, I was mistaken about the rates. I'm in Rogers territory, not Cogeco, which is more expensive.

UPDATE - April 3, 2013
Compared to when I first came to TekSavvy, the speeds and stability is much better.

Recently, I ordered a new modem and its been a week with no email for invoice/payment details. Looks like ATPIA rates are more money for slower speeds anyways. I give up again, just going to keep giving them my money because there's nothing better available. Maybe someday I can give a 100% rating.

UPDATE - Sept. 26, 2011
My theory on how Teksavvy is dealing with the network congestion. Step 1) Send Email to Rogers. Step 2) Wait 48 hours. Step 3) Done.

ORIGINAL review
TekSavvy pre sales information and install co-ordination is all a clever lure to take you away from Rogers for more of the same.

I'm supposed to be getting 15 Mbps downstream. For 2 months I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps for more than 12 hours a day.

Direct support forum takes 2 years to respond to any problems. The same drivel is given every time: "Rogers is upgrading, just be patient".

Value for money is terrible with activations fees when I was already on Rogers and had a modem already. They had to send two techs out to look at my modem lights and say 'Okay you're good'. The techs were not even Rogers employees. For all I know they could have been there to steal my TV.

The monthly fees and bandwidth caps are fine. Not that I'll ever reach 300 gb with a 1 Mbps connection. It's still better value than the lightest Rogers package. Though, not by very much.

Highly NOT recommended. Go with DSL or something else.

Comments:

Old Martin

Your Modem order

Hello,

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum as we would like to discuss the Modem with you.

Thanks,

join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Massive outage

Do you realize that there is a massive outage today affecting all ATPIA clients: »[OUTAGES] July 17th

I would recommend holding off on speedtests and updating your review on the 45/4 until the smokes clears from these fiber cut/routing issues.

Review by matmat09 See Profile

• Location: Vanier,ON
Good "Best price and best service "
Overall "The best Canadian ISP by far"

You can't beet teksavvy. Best price unmatched service. If your tired of paying high bills and not getting what you pay for like we were then you will be very happy with teksavvy prices. Never had a problem never had the internet dropped and i can now easily host any games with the guys which was impossible when we had bell. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Dec-8-14 update: Still quite satisfied with the service. No issues, reliable as a rock.

Comments:

Old Martin

Thanks for you review

Very happy to hear you have been a satisfied customers.

If you ever have any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

canada

Update

Hey matmat09!

Thanks for the update on the review. Glad that you are still enjoying the service. Don't hesitate to get a hold of us if you ever need anything.

Review by lillypad_339 See Profile

• Location: Breslau,ON
Good "No Slowdowns... Good customer service"
Bad "Was down for 2.5 days once"
Overall "Great service and great price"

I've been with Teksavvy cable for 2 years now.
In this time, there was one bumpy area where it seemed like half on Ontario was down. I think it was a public relations fight with Rogers. They were doing some upgrades and introducing caps at the same time. While I was down, the company offered to send me a wireless stick in the mail.

Since then, I've been up. All the time. To tell you the truth, it's more stable than my Rogers Business internet at work.

I have a comparison, as I used to have Bell DSL.
I use a VPN to connect to the US. While I was with Bell, they did something funky, as I constantly had to reset the VPN settings. It was almost every day that the VPN connection was going down. The DSL speeds were of course slow as hell to boot. It seemed like the maximum rate I could get was 2.5 meg from the VPN even though the advertised rate was 5.

With Teksavvy, I've never had to reset the VPN. It's just always up. For the same price, I have double the cap, and 5 times the speed.
Of course, I've gone to a zap the cap which limits my speed to 9 meg during the hours of 8pm - 12, but now I have no cap. The result is that 2 tv's can now stream movies without risk of going over the cap, where as with Bell we could barely do 1 tv at any given time.

I'm extremely happy with the price, and with the service. I recommend anybody who has rogers cable to make the switch.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hey lillypad_339!

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you are satisfied with the service. If there is anything that comes up in the future, please do not hesitate to get a hold of us.

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two and a half years (currently January 2015), and I have had to reach out to them once, when there was a problem affecting the whole area. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.8 years, 920 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Thanks again
Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Hey tross!

Thanks for the update on the review! Glad that the service is meeting expectations and happy to see you've been a customer of ours for 2 and a half years! If you ever need us, looks like you know where to find us.