TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by stickittoem See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON

Use this provider. Is it me or are they going downhill. Whats going on there? The employees dont seem as happy as they used to be when i would talk with them on the phone.

Seems like they have no one working there as i have to wait 30-45 minutes to ask a quesiton about my account. I feel like cancelling as it feels like teksavvy doesnt care about anything but money now-a-days. Turning into bell and rogers.

I find that when i first signed up the customer service was great. Ever since around febuary i feel like i am a paycheck to teksavvy and not a customer.

Anyways i hope they can pull up their socks or i guess i will switch to bell or rogers. Sad to say but i only have the service for the customer service aspect. Now that it is in the toilet i couldnt give you 1 reason why i still with them

Sorry.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Customer service

Hello,

I'm not certain as to when you would of called, but we've been pretty good with call wait times today. There are the odd times when call Q builds up, but it's not because we don't care.

Now if your question(s) havn't been answered, please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile & it will be my pleasure to help answer any questions or needs you may have. If you feel that you were treated incorrectly by the agent, please advise & we'll pull the call. If coaching is needed than we'll make sure the agent gets it.

We strive to make all calls as pleasant as possible, but can't comment on your experience until we hear the call.

Again, please contact me so we can look into your situation.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

Re: Customer service

I think it's just you. Been with them 3 years and had only the best experience and great prices.
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: Customer service

said by AkFubar:

Ahh yes, Akfubar has had a perfect experience so the rest of the TSI customers should also feel the same way. Hallelujah!

You realize if it was just him there wouldn't be 47 other negative reviews and how ever many others that simply weren't posted?

To the OP:

Talk to Martin, Rocky if he's free or Marc if he's free. These guys are top notch, you won't find anyone who will try to make things right. Keep in mind TSI went down a 1 way road that most thought they would fail.

They have to pave the road for a few more miles and then maybe things will be a lot better. It's rough now here and there, but if i were to ever predict a business and their success it's TSI.

Their rapid growth was a curve ball, cut them some slack i think in the end it'll be worth while. I do hope you let them try to make it right though. Personally since i talk to Marc every so often, PM him. Amazing guy

Review by blup8189720 See Profile

Good "It's Cheap, It's Fast, It's Great. It's Teksavvy. I Love it!"
Bad "Occasional slow-downs."
Overall "If you're not with TekSavvy, you don't care much for the Internet, do you?"

***Although this review appears on the positive feedback page it reflects my very negative experience trying to get my service transferred. The ISP is top notch and I love them, hence the positive page. It's perhaps the same reason I would not judge a car company because I got flat tire driving down the street. This review simply reflects the one very disappointing experience I had in moving the service from residence "A" to residence "B".***

I love TekSavvy. Since that fateful day few years back when I was stuck in traffic behind a TTC bus with a TekSavvy ad looking back at me it was a match made. That's right, a match made.

I will try and not make this into a long story no matter how exciting or boring. I just want to throw out a few facts and how things went down trying to move my existing cable Internet service with TekSavvy from my house to a brand new condo. So new in fact that they didn't even have postal code information on file and had to check if they can even service that area.

On May 22nd, maybe 23rd I called to have my service moved to my new residence. We agreed on Wednesday May 30th with the 31st and June 1st being the two alternate dates. It worked for me because I was off those three days. I provided all of my information including my suite number as this was a brand new condo (and my third of which TekSavvy serviced, so we went through this process at least twice before). Awesome.

On May 23rd at 19:04 I received the following email confirming my order. [spacing in email removed to save space, go figure]

"TekSavvy Solutions, Inc. : Account Information
Thank you for choosing TekSavvy for your Internet needs!
Your change of service request has been received and has been processed.
Please save this order confirmation email. If you need to make any changes, please contact our customer service department at 1-877-779-1575.
For 24/7 technical support please call 1-877-357-2889.
Thanks again for choosing TekSavvy Solutions!"

On May 24th at 13:08 I got the following email titled "OID-****** [masked for privacy] Rejected Cable Order: Attention Required":

"TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Thank you for choosing TekSavvy for your Internet needs!
We're having trouble processing your order and need to confirm/discuss some of the information submitted. Please call us at your earliest convenience at 1-877-779-1575.
Thanks again for choosing TekSavvy Solutions!"

I immediately called to inquire about the problem, and why my order was running into trouble in being processed. I was told that they didn't have my unit number. I was told that apparently it was Rogers that didn't have this information to be able to connect my service. I then, once again, provided all of the information. My name, full address including the suite number and postal code, and my telephone number, which they already had and wasn't changing. All was good.

May 29th: I was at work and called TekSavvy around 21:50 to confirm that all is set for May 30th as I had a lot to do that day and I wanted to be there so as not to miss the appointment.

I was floored. There was no order scheduled for movement. Oh, did I mention I also got this email on the 23rd of May at 19:22:

"Your cancellation for your rCable has been processed as requested for 5/30/2012. Your cancellation number is: 333940X******.
MOVED TO NEW ACCOUNT" [cancellation number masked for privacy reasons]

So, it was the day before and the three hours between 08:00 and 11:00 would have gone to waste as nobody was going to show up to hook up my Internet. Period.

I was irate and the CSR made another appointment for me at the earliest possible convenience of June the 4th.

I purposely called early enough to arrange for this NOT to happen and if it did, there would be some time in my favour!

She said she would escalate this to a priority department/escalations department (?) and I would get a call in 24 to 48 hours. Can't remember why. She might have said it but by then I wasn't level headed on this issue to retain this information in my memory. After work I called back to try and get a few explanations as to how this might have happened. Who dropped the ball? TekSavvy, the rep taking the info, the other rep taking the info, Rogers, the computer system?!?!? I wanted some accountability. Didn't get anywhere. The CSR told me that my issue has already been escalated and I knew we came to the end of the line in conversation when he started repeating what he already told me. Simply put, there was nothing else he could do in my eyes other than repeat what I was already told. I don't blame him completely, but some answers would be nice. But I do understand that he may not have been in a position or even have the access and ability to provide those answers to me so I let the issue go and hung up irritated. However, I did ask him that if I had I not called would I have been without Internet six months from now (yes, I did say that, purposely exaggerating that number), to which my question was met with his "pretty much, yup" reply. And you ask yourself why I wanted to throw my computer at him that very moment and kill my phone by means of crushing it with my bare hands while stomping the ground like a mad-man.

On May 30th at 13:05 and 13:07 (yes, I got the same email two minutes apart from sales@teksavvy [the previous emails came from support@teksavvy]) I got the following email:

"TekSavvy thanks you for your order!
A technician will be dispatched to activate your residential cable service on 2012-06-03 between 8:00am-11:00am.
Your Account # is: CID***** [masked for privacy reasons]
Package: TekSavvy Extreme Cable 28
We would appreciate if you could confirm by clicking below. You will be redirected to our confirmation system. Once your order is completed we will not need to contact you and as such if you have any problems or concerns you will need to communicate with us to make us aware of the problem.

Click To Confirm Your Order"

I clicked. Now I wait.

I love TekSavvy. I have no ill feelings towards them. They are absolutely the best ISP in my area to my knowledge. Perhaps even other areas, but I can't speak for those as I'm not there. I'm here. I especially LOVE!!!! their option to call you back while retaining your place in the queue instead of wasting your time and minutes on hold. That blows me away! I think that is the single best invention in phone customer service I have ever come across. And yes, they actually do call you back and it works! I won't let this little mishap sour my relationship with TekSavvy. It just pisses me off at how everything was handled and in all fairness, Rogers is like the damn babysitter with the master key. Or so that is how I perceive it. So, the screw up could have been anywhere in the chain. But, someone could have called me. The deal shouldn't break because you may not have my unit number--it's a condo and you will eventually have to access to the building to get into the wiring closet to get the cables hooked up. Last resort: you do your bit and I'll make sure the wires in my unit talk to your wires in the wiring closet of the building. Even so, you already have or should have my number and I would be the one letting you into the building so you bet my Internet I'm waiting for you and/or your call. We have an appointment. I will be home waiting for YOU! Why are you not going to show up? Call me, and I will take you by your hand and lead you to my apartment. I am expecting you on this day between these three hours. Trust me. I want, no, NEED your service. It's not a day I'm going to go skydiving.

Fix this damn process and/or follow it through and get some accountability in place and I will love you like this never happened for many years to come.

Until then, I have my cell phone for Internet access, but using that to surf the web is like having sex without a condom: scary and fun at the same time, and while it's great if it works you never know what's going to happen next and if all goes well you may get what you wanted in the end.

I want my "www"!

P.S. My place is so new that even though I put the postal code into the proper field, after I posted my review it lists my location as "undisclosed location". It's Guelph, Ontario.

Comments:

Review by Torabo See Profile

Good "Great when everything works, high or no caps on usage"
Bad "Unable to get Rogers to go fix things"
Overall "Still needs cable usage monitoring tool. DSL may have better value if you want higher upload"

*Update* 05/24/12

The POI I'm on has been upgraded, speeds have been great for the past few months, consistent downloads at 3+Mbyte/sec from servers that support the speed, no problems aside for the odd routing issue, though that's an issue that's usually out of their hands. Also, there still needs to be a Cable usage monitoring tool for Ontario customers not on the Unlimited Plan..

For those who have a greater need for upload BW, the DSL options are probably better right now in terms of value, with up to 7x the maximum upload rates compared to cable.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

York Mills

Upgrade should have stabilized everything. If you continue having issue, please let us know as their may be an outstanding issue.
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Torabo

join:2009-09-01
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: York Mills

said by TSI Martin:

Still seeing slowdowns in the evenings, not as bad as before, but its still there.... been posting in the direct forums about this for over two months now... since before the POI congestion worsened it....
Its hovering around 10M right now, which would've been acceptable a while back... but now that the speeds should be 24/1 and not 15/1... its a huge slowdown compared to the daytime, when I'd see speeds anywhere between 30~45M w/ speedboost....

Review by ergosteur See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great service. Good Price/Speed+data allowance ratio. Cable service (no dry loop)."
Bad "Still have to rely on Rogers network."
Overall "Overall, happy with the service."

Update: Connection has been very reliable at my Toronto site. Was one of the lucky ones to get on the Dupont POI before the stop sell. Since March I've had virtually no downtime (Pingdom reports 99.90% up) and very good speeds, always in the 20-35Mbps range even at peak times.

Price is $70 tax included for the 28M/1M unlimited service.

Signed up for TekSavvy cable this summer after a particularly bad experience with Rogers earlier this year. I had considered switching to Bell Fibe or one of the regular 5Mbit DSL providers, but liked the 15-20Mbit I was getting with Rogers and Fibe has ridiculously low caps.

As soon as I heard TekSavvy cable was available in my area, I called to sign up for the Extreme Pro 12/1 uncapped service. I was told the install had to be coordinated with Rogers, and I would have to get a cancellation date for my existing Rogers Hi-Speed before TekSavvy could process the order. So I called Rogers, who said the earliest I could cancel was in 30 days. Put in the order for cancellation and called TekSavvy back to set up the install. I ordered the Thomson DCM475 which was quickly delivered to me at work. (I should note that for some reason Canada Post wouldn't deliver the package to the receptionist and required me to sign for it. Not sure why.) On the designated day, I unplugged the old Rogers modem, plugged in the TekSavvy one and that was it.

The connection's performance is good, haven't really noticed a difference between the Rogers 25mbit service and TekSavvy. Also was happy to discover that I got a free speed bump to 24mbit from 12 and my DCM475 was compatible.

I have, however, like many people in Brampton it seems, been experiencing random downtime (loss of sync?). The connection will go down without warning but be back up usually within 5 or 10 minutes, but sometimes as long as 30 minutes or an hour. Naturally, I called Tech Support. They were very friendly, but at first didn't acknowledge that there was a problem and said the line would stabilize after some regular maintenance, and that some downtime was normal. A few months later, I started having more disconnects, and not just at 3AM anymore. So I posted in the TSI direct forum here and was informed that there is possibly a known issue and that a fix is in the works. I really hope that the fix comes soon, and works well!

Comments:

Tekvict

@74.198.9.x

Teksavvy cable is extremely bad.

Outage from time to time, tech support is friendly (if you ate lucky to reach), but no help at all except saying "send email to Rogers", ...
sas

join:2011-01-28

IMHO:

downtime once a month and less than 1 hr at a time = normal

more than once a month or more than 1 hr at a time = NOT normal

Review by Cyborg994 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Unlimited, reliable and fast"
Bad "Slows down a little once in a while (1-2 hours a month so far)"
Overall "Better value then DSL (with any provider) and Videotron"

I was hesitationg between Teksavvy and Acanac. Since Acanac took a very long time getting their modems, and the price difference was small, I went to Teksavvy.

It took about 3 days after ordering to get an install date. Once done the process was smooth, got the modem quickly and the installation was done when it was scheduled (a 4-hour window, much better then Bell).

Speed is excellent i'm getting about 17 mbit/s in real life, on an official speed of 15 mbit. I did experience 2 short periods of slow downs (was maxing out at 10 mbit instead of 15 for a few hours), and 1 partial outage (some sites were not reachable, others were fine).

Overall it is a great ISP

member for 9 years, 1222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2

Welcome and Thank You!

Thank you for the review. Welcome to the family! We're glad you made the decision to go with us.

I'm glad the installation went well and you're seeing great speeds. We have had a routing issue with some customers over the past few days, so if the sites you weren't able to reach are still unavailable, please let us know by calling our tech support at 1-877-357-2889 or messaging us here.

Review by RMerlin See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast, stable, and less expensive than the alternative from big players"
Bad "Long installation delay (caused by a failure on Videotron's portal actually)"
Overall "Bell's retention might try as hard as they want, I ain't going back"

After over a decade of DSL with Bell, I decided that recent price raises versus the new fast and generous cable packages offered by Teksavvy were enough to convince me to leave. I was satisfied with Bell's service, their tech support had always been pretty quick at resolving technical issues I had over the years (once it was a port gone bad in the DSLAM, another time it was bad wiring outside my house), but when you take your customers for granted, and constantly increase your price while not increasing the offered services, you eventually reach a point where the customer starts seriously looking elsewhere.

The cable service goes through Videotron (as I am in Quebec), not Rogers. The modem is a DCM-475, provided by Teksavvy. I went with Teksavvy's 30 Mbits / 300 GB service.

The reasons I went with Teksavvy are:

- Faster service and much larger monthly quota for the same price currently paying with Bell

- Moving to cable will allow me to eventually ditch my landline phone and switch to VoIP without the hassle of ordering a dryloop

- I have many of my own customers (I work as a tech for a small IT consulting/VAR company) hooked to Teksavvy (all DSL however), with very few issues.

The installation took much longer than expected. The fault however was more on Videotron's end, as their TPIA portal went down at about the same time I ordered. Most likely your order now would get processed much faster now. There was also a lot of confusion surrounding the actual installation date (at first Teksavvy couldn't even tell us any firm date, as they had to wait for Videotron to sort things out on their end), and my initial request for an evening installation was changed for "All day". In fact, they didn't even contact me to confirm the requested installation date changes, we had to call them a few days before to discover that the date was postponed "by a week or two". But again, it's unlikely that others would face all those issues now.

On the (finally) scheduled day the Videotron tech came, replaced the (old) outside wiring, and did a very good job at installing the new wiring. He told me however that he wasn't authorized to touch the modem, ("not even hook it on a wall"). Not an issue for me.

After he left, it took a bit under an hour for my modem to become authorized at their end. Since then (a bit over two weeks now), I haven't had a single issue. I ran a few Speedtest during peak hours to see if there was any sign of congestion. None. I always get 29-30 Mbits. Not a single disconnection either.

Overall, I'm really happy with the switch (aside from Bell's retention chasing after me, but that's another story). IMHO, you are less likely to run into issues with cable than DSL, as the cable wiring tends to be newer than the phone wiring, and since they always send a tech on-site, issues won't be discovered only after the activation.

It's hard for me to give any score to their tech support service as I didn't have to deal with them so far. I'm still giving them a 4 because of their very active presence on these forums, and their representatives being proactive in asking customers to contact them when they report issues on the forums.

Comments:

TSI Support2

Your reveiw

Thank you for taking the time to review our service. I apologize that you had a rough time getting connected to us. It was definitely an unusual issue that has been resolved and hopefully won't happen again.

I'm happy that things are going well after we got you installed onto our network and you're seeing good speeds. We're glad to have you with us.

Review by k3nt See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Excellent support, communications, managment. High speed most of the time."
Bad "In Vancouver, BC, Youtube occassionally rebuffering and stalling during busy hours."
Overall "Good price for light Youtube user. All other video services work excellent at any time. No throttling."

When I signed up for Teksavvy cable in Vancouver, it was during the time Canadian ISPs were going to charge for bandwidth. It took a while to get set up, and the first month of speeds were slow because so many people signed up. After Teksavvy increased their capacity they were excellent. Downloading was far better than Shaw (that throttled religiously). For the most part of my 14 months with Teksavvy I enjoyed high speeds and good streaming on Youtube. But I am a hardcore user of Youtube for entertainment and research. I was frequently having issue with buffering and stalling 720p and 1080p videos. However lesser quality videos performed fine. These Youtube issues surfaced a number of times through my 14 months of the Teksavvy cable service. Sometimes for a single day, other times a week or more. Then they would resolve for a while. Sadly my single issue with Youtube forced my hand to sign with Telus and cancel with Teksavvy. Very sad indeed. They are otherwise excellent.

Comments:

TSI Support2
Chatham, ON

Thank you for the review.

Thank you for taking the time to review our service. I'm happy that your interactions with us were excellent. I'm sorry to see that the issues with streaming HQ video forced your hand in leaving us. Check back in with us when you're done your contract with Telus and we'll be happy to see if we can solve the video issue and have you back with us.

Review by ASharp See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Great speeds and service at a reasonable price."
Bad "Recurring congestion issues."
Overall "Relatively new service that needs some kinks worked out but fantastic otherwise."

I've been a Teksavvy DSL customer for years and was ecstatic when Teksavvy announced their cable service. Their DSL service was fantastic and the price was decent but unfortunately, speeds were rather lackluster. I had been contemplating making the switch to cable but couldn't justify the high initial cost.

When Bell seemed to be making some serious headway with UBB, I decided to finally jump ship and I don't regret it one bit. Initial cost of installation was rather high coming in at just under $200 for the modem purchase (SB6120), activation, and first month of service (Extreme Cable) but, it was well worth it in the long run. Speeds are much faster as I'm on the 15/1 package compared to when I was on DSL (~4.3Mb down / ~680Kb up). Originally, the service only came with a 200GB bandwidth limit but since has been increased to 300GB at no additional cost. Reliability has been fantastic as I haven't experienced any disconnects or anything like that over the approximately six months or so since I've had the service.

In terms of the ordering process, it was a very smooth transition from DSL to cable. I called in one day in early November and connected with a representative within a minute. She was very friendly and we walked through the order process smoothly. The cable was scheduled to be activated a week before my month of DSL was up so I would still have internet access in case there were any issues with the install. Luckily, I didn't need this extra time. The Rogers tech came by on time and only took a couple of minutes to check the signal on the line. A few minutes later, my modem was active and I was surfing away. Also of note is that my DSL service was properly cut off with regards to the actual service and there were no billing issues.

My only complaint is that I'm on the McNicoll POI and as some of you may know, it is notorious for congestion issues (along with a bunch of other POIs). What normally happens is that the POI link for Teksavvy becomes congested over time as more users are added to the network. Eventually it gets to the point where during evenings, speeds slow down significantly and in some cases even packet loss occurs. In time, Teksavvy adds a higher speed link (now up to 2 Gb links) and the problem will appear to go away. I'm not sure if this problem will happen again seeing as how a third Gb link has already been ordered but just be aware, congestion may become an issue. With that being said, it never affected my service to the point where the reliability was compromised. Speeds were poor but I never lost my connection nor was it ever unbearable to use.

Overall, my Teksavvy cable experience has been positive and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering it. The initial setup cost may be higher especially if you need to purchase the modem but, the speeds and bandwidth limits available as well as the fantastic customer service more than make up for it.

Update (April 8, 2012): For the last little while my internet experience has been quite good. Since I wrote my review, my speeds have increased from 15/1 to 24/1 and now 28/1. I also went ahead and upgraded from the 300GB service to unlimited since my usage demands have increased a bit. Overall, the congestion issues on the McNicoll POI have more or less ceased. I haven't had any major issues in months now. It does get a little slow on some nights but, it's generally still perfectly usable and I still get very good speeds. During the day, my connection flies. It would be great to see the upload speeds increase but I guess TSI is at the mercy of Rogers on that one. It seems like Teksavvy's service department has been lacking these last few months but I called in not too long ago for my service change and it went smoothly so I can't really comment on any bad experiences. At the end of the day, my service has been superb and I still recommend them.

member for 12.7 years, 1632 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2

Thanks for the review.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your comments on the service and interactions you've had with us.

We are working on the congestion issues with the McNicholl POI, and seeing the comments on your updated review, it looks like a majority of the issues you've had have been solved. We are adding new users to the POI in small groups, so you shouldn't see the congestion issues again on the POI.

Review by d4m1r See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Cheaper than Rogers, Much Larger Cap, No Throttling!"
Bad "Slightly higher latency and an occasional hiccup."
Overall "Overall, Teksavvy is still the best Canadian ISP I've ever been with."

·Start Communicat..
Previous plan from Rogers:

$60/month for 120GB cap, 28/1 plan, AND they throttle P2P traffic...

Current plan from Teksavvy:

$50/month for 300GB cap, 28/1 plan, and NO throttling of any kind!

Installation went smoothly as I just bought my own modem online and switch it out with the Rogers modem on the day I was supposed to. Has been working perfectly ever since then (almost 1 year now). In fact, 9/10 times I get much faster speeds than I am even supposed to:

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1881087···G][/URL]

Maybe once a month my modem does reset randomly and I lose my connection for a few seconds but I haven't had any major outages...Thanks Teksavvy and I'll continue to recommend you guys to friends and family!

member for 2.6 years, 439 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shannoncc98 See Profile

Good "Good speeds, no throttling"
Bad "Startup costs"
Overall "Overall great internet provider"

I switched from Rogers express internet to Teksavvy express about 2 months ago. I'm much happier with Teksavvy. Aside from the occasional slowdowns during peak periods, speed tests register at or above 18mbits. Unlike Rogers, I no longer experience problems with Netflix not working properly and certain downloads and apps being throttled down to less than 1mbit.