TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by smoothrocker See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great speeds, and great customer service experience"
Bad "2 day delay in modem provisioning"
Overall "Would recommend"

We recently decided to upgrade to Teksavvy Cable 18/512k from our Bell DSL plan. The order process was smooth and our install was scheduled for August 28th. Rogers showed up bright and early to install our service that morning.

The only issue with the whole setup experience came with the 2-day provisioning delay for our new modem. During this time, I called in to Teksavvy the evening of the 28th and 29th and spoke with two very knowledgeable and patient CSRs. A ticket was opened on the 29th with Rogers and we were up and running the next afternoon.

Since then, the internet speeds have been higher then advertised and consistent with no slowdowns and we are extremely happy with the change.

I know that smaller ISP's sometimes get a bad rap for their customer service, especially those that are growing, but I just wanted to post that I've had a great experience dealing with everyone there. The highlighted came with a phone call from Teksavvy this evening to make sure everything was up and running smoothly. A small gesture, but one that will go a long way with this new customer.

Comments:

Review by dbarron See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Speed, truly unlimited with no caps, rock steady"
Bad "Hard to reach tech support in a hurry"
Overall "Good value"

·TELUS
Switched from Telus due to faster speed and similar price. Unlimited transfers, good speeds, reasonable price, and rock steady service over the six months we've been with them. The only downside is slow response when calling tech support, but they do have a direct forum here on DSL so it possible to leave a message and get a response without hanging on the phone. We're really glad that we took a chance on Teksavvy!

member for 14.8 years, 1950 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Happy

We're also happy you did take a chance with us. Glad you are happy with the service!

As for the wait times for when calling in, we are working in getting all of it reduced!

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

Review by DanJRWalsh See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Higher than promised speeds, good ping, good price, high bandwidth cap, nice and helpful tech support"
Bad "Slow tech support (VERY long hold times), occasional slow downs, occasional modem resets/disconnects"
Overall "Fast and good internet, but it has some flaws as with anything"

I receive higher speeds than I'm promised, the price for the services beats any other company around, and its bandwidth as well beats any company around. Occasionally I run into problems like slow downs or modem resets/disconnections which can be very annoying but for the most part it's very fast internet.

I'm on the 12/512 cable plan (Now 18/512 I believe) located in Brampton, Ontario

As an overall, I do highly recommend TSI, as the speeds and bandwidth you receive for the price completely beats any other main players such as: Bell or Rogers. I have already got a friend to switch from Bell to TSI and he says he loves it.

The services I receive compared to what I used to get from Bell (and for cheaper!) is amazing, if only the disconnections were solved TSI would be 5/5 for me. Right now they're 4/5. However I believe my problems may be related to the modem.

UPDATE July/25/2012: Major speed problems for the last two days with disconnections still present. Waiting for response from TekSavvy

Comments:

TSI Martin

Service type

Would you be able to advise what service you use? And if you'd like to PM me TSI Martin See Profile I'll look into it for you.

DanJRWalsh

join:2011-09-22
Brampton, ON

Re: Service type

I added what plan and where I'm located to the review

Review by ftcnt See Profile

• Location: Toronto, ON
Good "Speeds are great"
Overall "Worth switching over if it is available in your area"

July 15, 2011
Rock solid connection

After being down for 4 days, it came back and has been rock solid for the last week Updated my rating

February 1, 2011

Service has been down since Friday evening ...no ETA from Rogers. I fall behind my work when a service is down for 4 days. I hope it is resolved ASAP. I have changed connection reliability accordingly.

=================
Excellent service, switched from DSL with them to cable.

Comments:

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine

Huh ?

Your review looks more like status updates, not a review.

'Reviews' such as this to bump poor reviews down look really bad IMHO. Write a proper review about your experience.

Your 100% across the board is also odd. No one is perfect, be more honest with it. You had downtime, even if it was handled well you set a rating based on your experience during that downtime.

I find reviews like this even as you're a member for almost 9 years, i figure you'd be a little more in-depth with a great review.

I do hope to see a nicely written review to explain your 100% rating. Same goes for anyone else with reviews too. If you want to take the time to help TSI with a great review, at least take the time to do it properly

nevertheless, great to hear about cable. Been procrastinating getting cable out of fear with previous headaches.

Review by LinS See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Very good value for money."
Bad "Stability has been a problem recently."
Overall "Still better than the incumbents, if a little unstable currently."

Ordered Extreme cable, and is working very well. There are some slight speed problems, speed tends to vary at times. But overall it is very usable and quick. Considering how this is a shared connection with 3 other people in the same household, the 300GB cap is much enjoyed. The speed issues might be due to problems in the house but I can deal with it.

Very good service for the price I pay.

Been a year and other than some slight connection and IP problems still pretty satisfied.

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Solid, GOOD Customer Service/Support, knowledgeable.."
Bad "Still requires incumbent involvement, Rogers Forced install costs."
Overall "GREAT VALUE, GREAT SPEED, GREAT SERVICE, DOES NOT GIVE BELL A PENNY!"

·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
As most who frequent this site know, Bell has started and continues war against wholesale ISPs. With the CRTC giving Bell a green light on almost anything they ask for, I decided after many years having Teksavvy DSL, and having over 20 dollars, plus 10 for dry loop fees going to Bell out of that, I had to stop the flow of funds to Bell.

At the time, 3web was the only option for cable internet in my area other than Rogers. TSI was still didn't know when Cable would make it to this part of Toronto at that time.

I've had 3web Cable in the past, in Mississauga and it was horrible. They had been sold and I figured, I had nothing to lose. Install was free due to the fact I owned my own modem I got from ebay and already had a cable drop installed for Internet (forward thinking when Rogers re-cabled our building) It was great until September when students went back to school.. Every night things would slow to a crawl. It was not as bad as I had experienced before but I dead lines would come and go on upgrades at 3web and nothing would change. I think they will, but I simply could not deal with it any longer as I have voip for phone along with time sensitive applications that would be affected by the slow downs.

I then knowing how TSI has been in the past, figured I would look to see if they offered cable in my area. They DID!

So I called to figure out how best to move my services to them with the same modem I owned and how best to do this between providers.

One major beef I have is it seems 3web and TSI have a slightly different agreement with Rogers, and transfers or simple non-Tech required installs (where the drop and modem are already with the customer) required an 44.95 dollar install charge with TSI, where 3web can do this for free.

Due to the fact I was already with a wholesaler, Rogers didn't exactly play ball nicely to make the transfer easy. I was forced to have 48 hours of no service between providers. I would recommend when going 3rd party to 3rd party, to have a 2nd modem. It would have made the process simple and easy.

Once I was on the TSI network, it was clear that the speed, response and flow of data was much MUCH better. There was some packet loss issues but this was addressed fairly quickly and seemed to be a router in the mix on either Rogers or TSI's end that needed attention. TSI is really new in the cable game, but they are not new in the Internet game, so what problems may come up, they are able to deal with things fairly fast.

Although some would say dropping DSL to avoid funding Bell and moving to cable is just moving the money from BELL to Rogers or one evil to another but, Rogers from what I have seen has not been the instigator in this WAR and seems to be playing FAIR with TSI.

I also get 15x1mb service with a 200 gig cap, for 42.95 which is very reasonable and DSL couldn't come close to that.

I recommend TSI for anyone, who really likes LOCAL, to the point customer service/support, with people who seem to get the product and are not just some script reading agents. If you can get TSI Cable, I would recommend using it over DSL, simply to stop Bell from receiving funds to kill off competition.

UPDATE OCT 28 2011

I still to this day, have no issues at all with the service... I upgraded not long ago to DOCSIS 3, and it's been really solid.

Any issues I have experienced with speed have been minor compared to some but have been addressed with an upgrade Rogers finally did to the POI.

I would recommend TSI to this day. I recommend anyone educate themselves on how Wholesale works and who is responsible for what though.. A lot of people in reading these reviews that are having issues, clearly don't understand how Wholesale operates.

UPDATE June 15 2012

I recently moved from Etobicoke to East York and everything went very smooth!.. The $65 MOVE CHARGE SUCKS! But this is what Rogers charges them, so I have more understanding why they charge it. Still sucks! Had their not been a stop sell, I would have likely just cancelled and ordered new. Service is still PERFECT, solid. Works GREAT with Netflix too! Still very happy with the service! Keep up the great work TSI!

Comments:
l053r

join:2009-03-29

What POI are you on?

I am also in Etobicoke and I have Teksavvy DSL but I'm thinking of switching to Teksavvy Cable. Can you please tell me what POI you are connected to? because there are 2 of them for Etobicoke. One is Scarlett and the second is Greensboro.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·VMedia

Re: What POI are you on?

Scarlett was the POI I was on.... I had no issues with a D3 modem.. No slow downs or anything. I have since moved to EAST YORK, but for anywhere in the GTA, I would STRONGLY recommend no one buy the cheap D2 modems. They will show congestion issues, where the D3's won't unless it's the connection to the POI.

Review by stickittoem See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON

Use this provider. Is it me or are they going downhill. Whats going on there? The employees dont seem as happy as they used to be when i would talk with them on the phone.

Seems like they have no one working there as i have to wait 30-45 minutes to ask a quesiton about my account. I feel like cancelling as it feels like teksavvy doesnt care about anything but money now-a-days. Turning into bell and rogers.

I find that when i first signed up the customer service was great. Ever since around febuary i feel like i am a paycheck to teksavvy and not a customer.

Anyways i hope they can pull up their socks or i guess i will switch to bell or rogers. Sad to say but i only have the service for the customer service aspect. Now that it is in the toilet i couldnt give you 1 reason why i still with them

Sorry.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Customer service

Hello,

I'm not certain as to when you would of called, but we've been pretty good with call wait times today. There are the odd times when call Q builds up, but it's not because we don't care.

Now if your question(s) havn't been answered, please send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile & it will be my pleasure to help answer any questions or needs you may have. If you feel that you were treated incorrectly by the agent, please advise & we'll pull the call. If coaching is needed than we'll make sure the agent gets it.

We strive to make all calls as pleasant as possible, but can't comment on your experience until we hear the call.

Again, please contact me so we can look into your situation.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

Re: Customer service

I think it's just you. Been with them 3 years and had only the best experience and great prices.
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Customer service

said by AkFubar:

Ahh yes, Akfubar has had a perfect experience so the rest of the TSI customers should also feel the same way. Hallelujah!

You realize if it was just him there wouldn't be 47 other negative reviews and how ever many others that simply weren't posted?

To the OP:

Talk to Martin, Rocky if he's free or Marc if he's free. These guys are top notch, you won't find anyone who will try to make things right. Keep in mind TSI went down a 1 way road that most thought they would fail.

They have to pave the road for a few more miles and then maybe things will be a lot better. It's rough now here and there, but if i were to ever predict a business and their success it's TSI.

Their rapid growth was a curve ball, cut them some slack i think in the end it'll be worth while. I do hope you let them try to make it right though. Personally since i talk to Marc every so often, PM him. Amazing guy

Review by BLUP9720 See Profile

• Location: K2S0M1
Good "It's Cheap, It's Fast, It's Great. It's Teksavvy. I Love it!"
Bad "Occasional slow-downs."
Overall "If you're not with TekSavvy, you don't care much for the Internet, do you?"

***Although this review appears on the positive feedback page it reflects my very negative experience trying to get my service transferred. The ISP is top notch and I love them, hence the positive page. It's perhaps the same reason I would not judge a car company because I got flat tire driving down the street. This review simply reflects the one very disappointing experience I had in moving the service from residence "A" to residence "B".***

I love TekSavvy. Since that fateful day few years back when I was stuck in traffic behind a TTC bus with a TekSavvy ad looking back at me it was a match made. That's right, a match made.

I will try and not make this into a long story no matter how exciting or boring. I just want to throw out a few facts and how things went down trying to move my existing cable Internet service with TekSavvy from my house to a brand new condo. So new in fact that they didn't even have postal code information on file and had to check if they can even service that area.

On May 22nd, maybe 23rd I called to have my service moved to my new residence. We agreed on Wednesday May 30th with the 31st and June 1st being the two alternate dates. It worked for me because I was off those three days. I provided all of my information including my suite number as this was a brand new condo (and my third of which TekSavvy serviced, so we went through this process at least twice before). Awesome.

On May 23rd at 19:04 I received the following email confirming my order. [spacing in email removed to save space, go figure]

"TekSavvy Solutions, Inc. : Account Information
Thank you for choosing TekSavvy for your Internet needs!
Your change of service request has been received and has been processed.
Please save this order confirmation email. If you need to make any changes, please contact our customer service department at 1-877-779-1575.
For 24/7 technical support please call 1-877-357-2889.
Thanks again for choosing TekSavvy Solutions!"

On May 24th at 13:08 I got the following email titled "OID-****** [masked for privacy] Rejected Cable Order: Attention Required":

"TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Thank you for choosing TekSavvy for your Internet needs!
We're having trouble processing your order and need to confirm/discuss some of the information submitted. Please call us at your earliest convenience at 1-877-779-1575.
Thanks again for choosing TekSavvy Solutions!"

I immediately called to inquire about the problem, and why my order was running into trouble in being processed. I was told that they didn't have my unit number. I was told that apparently it was Rogers that didn't have this information to be able to connect my service. I then, once again, provided all of the information. My name, full address including the suite number and postal code, and my telephone number, which they already had and wasn't changing. All was good.

May 29th: I was at work and called TekSavvy around 21:50 to confirm that all is set for May 30th as I had a lot to do that day and I wanted to be there so as not to miss the appointment.

I was floored. There was no order scheduled for movement. Oh, did I mention I also got this email on the 23rd of May at 19:22:

"Your cancellation for your rCable has been processed as requested for 5/30/2012. Your cancellation number is: 333940X******.
MOVED TO NEW ACCOUNT" [cancellation number masked for privacy reasons]

So, it was the day before and the three hours between 08:00 and 11:00 would have gone to waste as nobody was going to show up to hook up my Internet. Period.

I was irate and the CSR made another appointment for me at the earliest possible convenience of June the 4th.

I purposely called early enough to arrange for this NOT to happen and if it did, there would be some time in my favour!

She said she would escalate this to a priority department/escalations department (?) and I would get a call in 24 to 48 hours. Can't remember why. She might have said it but by then I wasn't level headed on this issue to retain this information in my memory. After work I called back to try and get a few explanations as to how this might have happened. Who dropped the ball? TekSavvy, the rep taking the info, the other rep taking the info, Rogers, the computer system?!?!? I wanted some accountability. Didn't get anywhere. The CSR told me that my issue has already been escalated and I knew we came to the end of the line in conversation when he started repeating what he already told me. Simply put, there was nothing else he could do in my eyes other than repeat what I was already told. I don't blame him completely, but some answers would be nice. But I do understand that he may not have been in a position or even have the access and ability to provide those answers to me so I let the issue go and hung up irritated. However, I did ask him that if I had I not called would I have been without Internet six months from now (yes, I did say that, purposely exaggerating that number), to which my question was met with his "pretty much, yup" reply. And you ask yourself why I wanted to throw my computer at him that very moment and kill my phone by means of crushing it with my bare hands while stomping the ground like a mad-man.

On May 30th at 13:05 and 13:07 (yes, I got the same email two minutes apart from sales@teksavvy [the previous emails came from support@teksavvy]) I got the following email:

"TekSavvy thanks you for your order!
A technician will be dispatched to activate your residential cable service on 2012-06-03 between 8:00am-11:00am.
Your Account # is: CID***** [masked for privacy reasons]
Package: TekSavvy Extreme Cable 28
We would appreciate if you could confirm by clicking below. You will be redirected to our confirmation system. Once your order is completed we will not need to contact you and as such if you have any problems or concerns you will need to communicate with us to make us aware of the problem.

Click To Confirm Your Order"

I clicked. Now I wait.

I love TekSavvy. I have no ill feelings towards them. They are absolutely the best ISP in my area to my knowledge. Perhaps even other areas, but I can't speak for those as I'm not there. I'm here. I especially LOVE!!!! their option to call you back while retaining your place in the queue instead of wasting your time and minutes on hold. That blows me away! I think that is the single best invention in phone customer service I have ever come across. And yes, they actually do call you back and it works! I won't let this little mishap sour my relationship with TekSavvy. It just pisses me off at how everything was handled and in all fairness, Rogers is like the damn babysitter with the master key. Or so that is how I perceive it. So, the screw up could have been anywhere in the chain. But, someone could have called me. The deal shouldn't break because you may not have my unit number--it's a condo and you will eventually have to access to the building to get into the wiring closet to get the cables hooked up. Last resort: you do your bit and I'll make sure the wires in my unit talk to your wires in the wiring closet of the building. Even so, you already have or should have my number and I would be the one letting you into the building so you bet my Internet I'm waiting for you and/or your call. We have an appointment. I will be home waiting for YOU! Why are you not going to show up? Call me, and I will take you by your hand and lead you to my apartment. I am expecting you on this day between these three hours. Trust me. I want, no, NEED your service. It's not a day I'm going to go skydiving.

Fix this damn process and/or follow it through and get some accountability in place and I will love you like this never happened for many years to come.

Until then, I have my cell phone for Internet access, but using that to surf the web is like having sex without a condom: scary and fun at the same time, and while it's great if it works you never know what's going to happen next and if all goes well you may get what you wanted in the end.

I want my "www"!

P.S. My place is so new that even though I put the postal code into the proper field, after I posted my review it lists my location as "undisclosed location". It's Guelph, Ontario.

Comments:

Review by Torabo See Profile

Good "Great when everything works, high or no caps on usage"
Bad "Unable to get Rogers to go fix things"
Overall "Still needs cable usage monitoring tool. DSL may have better value if you want higher upload"

*Update* 05/24/12

The POI I'm on has been upgraded, speeds have been great for the past few months, consistent downloads at 3+Mbyte/sec from servers that support the speed, no problems aside for the odd routing issue, though that's an issue that's usually out of their hands. Also, there still needs to be a Cable usage monitoring tool for Ontario customers not on the Unlimited Plan..

For those who have a greater need for upload BW, the DSL options are probably better right now in terms of value, with up to 7x the maximum upload rates compared to cable.

Comments:

Review by ergosteur See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Great service. Good Price/Speed+data allowance ratio. Cable service (no dry loop)."
Bad "Still have to rely on Rogers network."
Overall "Overall, happy with the service."

Update: Connection has been very reliable at my Toronto site. Was one of the lucky ones to get on the Dupont POI before the stop sell. Since March I've had virtually no downtime (Pingdom reports 99.90% up) and very good speeds, always in the 20-35Mbps range even at peak times.

Price is $70 tax included for the 28M/1M unlimited service.

Signed up for TekSavvy cable this summer after a particularly bad experience with Rogers earlier this year. I had considered switching to Bell Fibe or one of the regular 5Mbit DSL providers, but liked the 15-20Mbit I was getting with Rogers and Fibe has ridiculously low caps.

As soon as I heard TekSavvy cable was available in my area, I called to sign up for the Extreme Pro 12/1 uncapped service. I was told the install had to be coordinated with Rogers, and I would have to get a cancellation date for my existing Rogers Hi-Speed before TekSavvy could process the order. So I called Rogers, who said the earliest I could cancel was in 30 days. Put in the order for cancellation and called TekSavvy back to set up the install. I ordered the Thomson DCM475 which was quickly delivered to me at work. (I should note that for some reason Canada Post wouldn't deliver the package to the receptionist and required me to sign for it. Not sure why.) On the designated day, I unplugged the old Rogers modem, plugged in the TekSavvy one and that was it.

The connection's performance is good, haven't really noticed a difference between the Rogers 25mbit service and TekSavvy. Also was happy to discover that I got a free speed bump to 24mbit from 12 and my DCM475 was compatible.

I have, however, like many people in Brampton it seems, been experiencing random downtime (loss of sync?). The connection will go down without warning but be back up usually within 5 or 10 minutes, but sometimes as long as 30 minutes or an hour. Naturally, I called Tech Support. They were very friendly, but at first didn't acknowledge that there was a problem and said the line would stabilize after some regular maintenance, and that some downtime was normal. A few months later, I started having more disconnects, and not just at 3AM anymore. So I posted in the TSI direct forum here and was informed that there is possibly a known issue and that a fix is in the works. I really hope that the fix comes soon, and works well!