TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by OmegAHAL See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Good "Very hard to beat value for the money!!!"
Bad "Install co-ordination was VERY bad"

So, after reading comments about this ISP and considering Vidéotron was announcing me that my cable acess would jump from 35$ IAC to 60$, I tried to switch to Techsavvy...

Feb 3, Vidéotron was past and Techsavvy was supposed to be future...
Well, it did not.

After more than 2 hours, in total, with techsavvy's cust. support they decided yesterday that they would send a Vidéotron tech to my house. It's been 1 week now that i'm Internet-less.

Stay tuned, more updates to go...

So here are the updates:
Its been a year and it working like a charm!!!!

member for 12.9 years, 240 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by komi See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Customer service, speed (daytime),"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Highly recommended, at least for Don Mills and Sheppard area, North York, ON"

·Bell Fibe
Hi all,
This is my first review ever.
It’s been 6 months since I signed up with TSI Extreme cable internet. So far no complaints. Happy camper.
I can’t even complain about waiting times over the phone back in Aug-Sept 2011 when a lot of people said they waited more than an hour to talk to a TSA representative.
For me the waiting time was just 8-10 minutes few times when I called in for some billing issues (promptly fixed) and to set up the e-mail accounts.
Now don’t get me wrong. There are some speed issues at night, but not as dramatically as others say. For me around 10.00pm the DL speed is around 15 Mbs and in the morning over 30 Mbs. All those speeds are wireless with a DOCSYS 2.0 modem and a crappy DIR 615 router.
As a mention, before I had Rogers Cable Internet, and the speed was somehow comparable. Why should I blame TSI?
All in all, I am giving TSI service 5 stars.

Comments:

Review by yyzUnderdog See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Like the price, speed, independent spirit, personal touches, support from reseller"
Bad "Spotty performance in the evening hours"
Overall "If you have a stable Rogers Cable connection, probably worth looking at - that's what I did"

So far, so good with Teksavvy. I had a great TSI reseller walk me through the process and had dual rogers and TSI lines up for about 1 month just in case I didn't like the service. All things considered, a little less reliable than Rogers, and some more noticable slowdowns at peak, but worth the effort.

Not looking back. And fingers crossed that TSI balances out their quality of service.

Comments:

Review by stephsm See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "great package options; Good overall price; no throttling!!"
Bad "high upfront cost, no online usage tracking....really can't think of anything else...."
Overall "Great overall value for the money"

Originally had Rogers Express service for a number of year previous. Speeds have never been an issue and was always stable, however usage has been starting to become an issue over the last number of months with the increased use of Streaming and having participated in a game beta that required full 30GB downloads every couple of weeks. I had tried to upgrade, but Rogers cancelled the order with no explanation, so by the end of December, I more or less had to find another option. TekSavvy had come highly recommended by a number of friends and colleagues, and since it was in my area now, I figured why not; Seeing as they used Rogers network, the service had to be the same, right?

Cancelled Rogers on the 27th of December, to take effect on the 26th of Jan. Ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable 24 on the 10th of Jan. Order confirmed and modem shipped on the 12th, received on the 13th. On the 26th, still had Rogers Modem connected, and when I got home that evening, swapped the old with the new, and it just worked. Check of the IP confirmed I was now connected with TekSavvy. Kudo's to Rogers for making this a seemless transfer; gotta give credit where it's due. Now for the speed tests:

I've been extremely pleased with the overall performance with TekSavvy. With Rogers, despite Speetests showing that I had my advertised speeds of 12Mbps, I'd hit on average 800KB/s for most downloads, but on occasion I would hit over 1MB/s. Torrents were particularly terrible, hitting at most 300KB/s. I had tried downloading the client for World of Tanks just prior to the cancellation and I hit about 150KB/s, which was pretty typical... With TekSavvy, downloading the same client, I easily hit 2.5MB/s and I had a 2.5GB file in less than 30 minutes.. I just tried it again for the hell of it and again I'm streaming along @ 2.6-2.7MB/s; I never had this type of connection with Rogers

And so far, the connection is still as rock solid as it has ever been. The only downsides I've been able to think of is the $200 up front fee, for the modem, instlation and first month, and the fact they don't seem to have a usage monitor. Fixed the latter by taking an old router and installing the Tomato firmware and it's been doing a bang up job so far.

Overall, so far, I have absolutely no regrets with transferring over to TekSavvy. Reading some of the customer issues did have me a bit worried, and having worked for a telco who did wholesale sales to 3rd part ISP's, I knew there were risks, but on the whole, this was a pain free migration with Zero down time.

cheers!

Steph S.

Comments:

Review by phlypsyde See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Price & Connection (Shaw last mile)"
Bad "Feedback from support agents on phone"
Overall "Worth a switch from Shaw in BC! Best value for money!"

Background:
--------------------------------------
I understand the Shaw HFC & backend provisioning system well. I have been using Shaw for years as they have the best infrastructure next to Novus in Vancouver. Unfortunately Novus is not available where I live.

Teksavvy Switch:
--------------------------------------
I recently made the switch to Teksavvy Cable in the Kitsilano neighbourhood of Vancouver. I was on the Shaw 25/2.5 package that recently went up from $59/month to $62/month; the second price increase within 1 year! Knowing that Teksavvy leases the last mile from shaw and just hands off for internet routing at a Gbit Point Of Interconnect, I bit the bullet to give it a go. I'm on day 1 but so far so good as there is no major discernible difference.

I already had a Motorola SB5101 that I had purchased from Shaw years ago. Unfortunately Teksavvy couldn't confirm if the modem could be activated on Shaw as they have no system in place to pre-check. They informed me they would only find out if it could be provisioned once they placed an order with Shaw via email. I'm sure Shaw is making it as hard for them as possible as they are basically providing the same service for 1/2 price.

I knew no install technician was required as the switch-over to Teksavvy would just be a provisioning task on the Shaw side. However, Teksavvy still booked an install appointment. I asked support if an install technician had to visit for some reason and never got an answer. Ultimately the time came and went and I never hear anything from anyone. I called technical support who answered straight away (great!) but was clearly disinterested to the point of yawning twice during the call (terrible!) and didn't seem to understand how Teksavvy Cable worked in BC. This rep wanted to book another install time and I let him know it shouldn't be necessary. He couldn't confirm when the provision would be complete that day (why book the install time if the provision wouldn't happen?) and just told me Shaw had until midnight to provision so I should just keep trying. Unsatisfied with this I posed to the Teksavvy direct forum where I got a timely response from a knowledgeable representative who checked the account and confirmed no install technician was needed and that the provision would happen by midnight. So, I've learned to use the teksavvy direct forum from now on as they seem to have senior technicians who put thought into what they are doing.

Shaw vs Teksavvy testing
--------------------------------------
My Teksavvy service was provisioned by Shaw during the afternoon and I ran some rudimentary testing to share here while I had both Shaw 25/2.5 & Teksavvy 25/2.5 connections active. All tests were ran wired to the same model cable modem (Motorola SB5101) and then wired into the one on the other service.

Speettest.net

Shaw EasyNews (30 connections) - circa 1800 KB / sec
Teksavvy EasyNews (30 connections) - circa 1800 KB / sec

TL;DR:
--------------------------------------
Expect Teksavvy to give weak support via telephone. Post to teksavvy direct for good assistance. Post exact questions to get the answers you want. i.e. - Will a technician be dispatched for a transfer of service? Teksavvy not different than Shaw service in practice, up to the 25/2.5 plan as that is the fastest plan Teksavvy offer. Make the switch!

Comments:

Review by JaY_III See Profile

• Location: Port Moody,BC
Good "Competitive pricing"
Bad "Company is managed very unprofessional"
Overall "You get what you pay for, some good and some bad."

Been with TSI for about 11 months, writing this review as I have just left them to go back to Shaw Cable.

TSI is not a bad ISP, but they are by no means a great ISP.
I would classify them as a discount ISP and you get what you pay for.

Speeds they offer are not competitive anymore, and I have been asking for 6 months when they will be matching Shaws plans and get DOSCOM 3.0 support. The company has no idea when this is going to happen. The level of professionalism from the management and people in charge is awful.
They provide no knowledge of what the company plans to offer in the future while at the same time being completely uncompetitive with the big boys in my local market of Vancouver.

When DOSCOM 2.0 was as good as you could get they were a good alternative to Shaw, and had great rates if you could put up with the terrible install procedure you have to go through to get hooked up.

Would i recommend TSI to others is the question.
For the most part i would say no. You save a few dollars a month if you want slow internet.
Now most people that are happy with slow internet are not the most technical people. TSI phone support is great, don't get me wrong. But if someone has to come to your house, you have a good chance you will have to pay for that yourself. Oh and its SHAW that comes.

For anyone else that wants higher speed internet, Shaw offers 50/100/250/1000 in Vancouver, TSI is not even an option.

So to sum it all up, TSI is an OK discount ISP.
If you are ok with yesterdays speeds, and are trying to save every last penny, give them a look.
But until they get DOSCOM 3.0, it might not be worth your time and effort.

Comments:

Review by DJM1983DJM See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "I get up to 50M/s, yet pay for 25M/s"
Bad "The rate is going up, yet still cheaper than any other ISP"
Overall "TekSavvy would be my #1 recommendation for anyone"

They fight for your rights to download whatever the hell you want. Copyrighted or not. They are even trying to fight the rate increase that Bell and Rogers have put upon them.

Always fast, never slow. You can even setup your new service online without even talking to anyone. You buy your modem, $100. No rentals, no bullshit. I use Xbox Live with no problems, Netflix, YouTube, uTorrent... The list goes on.

Overall, I recommend TekSavvy 100%

Comments:

Review by BryceS See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Consistent Speed | 300GB Usage | Canada Computers Promotion"
Bad "Rogers Tech Didn't Activate My Modem -- Took a week to get online"
Overall "Better service than TekSavvy DSL where I live due to crappy phone lines"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Purchased an open box Canada Computers kit for $95+tax

Included:
DCM425
Extreme Service 1 Month Free
Waived Activation Fee

Saved about $60 compared to directly getting setup through TekSavvy

The Rogers tech who installed it has never done a TPIA before, so he didn't know to activate my modem for me. This caused me to not have activate cable internet service for about a week after install. I had TekSavvy DSL service still running as a backup though.

Service has been tip top after that installation snafu.

I live in a small town, so my POI isn't congested at all and I receive 24/1 mbps service all day long compared to some people who live in downtown Toronto.

Comments:

Review by bcwetcoast See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Setting up just before Xmas, was installed just over a week later, stable connection so far , good setup by phone/internet"
Bad "Will call tech support, currently on a 7.5Mbps cable plan but have not achieved anywhere close to that."
Overall "Vancouver, BC Cable Plan. Will keep you updated. Anyone have similar problems? Please leave me a msg."

As of the first posting I gave Teksavvy Cable 4/5 across the board. I wll review again once issues have been ticketed.

Pre-Sale Info, website was straight forward, I have a older SB5101 modem on a WinXP computer. Ordered High speed elite unlimited as I dont' know if I am going to stream TV.

Install, email stated that the tech would call 30mins before he arrives. He just came knocking on the door at 9am. Maybe teksavvy could update that information on the confirmation email as "Tech may call in advance" as my tech stated that he just usually shows up and doesn't call first.

Connection Reliability, possible problems with the existing RG6 cable coming into my apartment, a friend has a cable tester but the look of the installer kind of said it all when I asked him to test the line. It was a "ya it's passable but not great". He didn't say that but his body language looked like that! No disconnects on wired so far.

Tech Support N/A (I haven't called them yet will do in a few days if I don't get enough bandwidth to stream without pauses; great setup support when I ordered)

Services: Good plans, changing due to UBB or whatever the big telecoms renamed it to.

Value for money: Compared to the other providers Teksavvy seem to be one of the leaders in their market.

Thank you Teksavvy will review you again once my issues get resolved.

Comments:

Review by edward80 See Profile

Good "Great service, competitive pricing, friendly staff"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Please continue being the best ISP I've ever known"

Just want to post a review on my experience so far.

Ordered the service on Friday December 23 at about 6PM, no wait time, a rep picked up right away. Within 30 minutes I was able to sign up without any problem.

Got an email from Canada post regarding my modem being picked up for delivery on December 28 as mentioned by the rep from December 23. Modem arrived the next day.

Cable installation happened from my second choice, considering it was during Christmas/New Years, I'm slightly impressed that Rogers can keep up with it! Installation was scheduled between 11AM-2PM on January 2, 2012. Got a call from the Rogers tech at 10:30AM asking me if I was home and he will arrive in 20 minutes. He parked his car infront of my house, did his thing and rang the door bell at 11AM, came in and hooked everything up. During the test to see if I can get to the Internet, it failed but the tech told me to call my provider to activate it.

Called up TekSavvy's technical support line for help .... _no waiting_, someone picked up right away. He brought up my file and confirmed that I got my modem and the installation happened today and said he would activate my service and I should get Internet within 12 hours.

By 2PM after running errands, I came back with Internet! All and all, it was a very painless process, exactly how I remembered it two years ago when I signed up for DSL service. I only left them 5 months ago because the bandrate in my area for dry-loop was too much. But at least now I'm back.

I've given full marks for my review, but for the record there's always room for improvement!

If you're wondering why I was signing up for Internet during the holidays:
Was with Acanac dry-loop and whatever shouldn't happen as a company happened with them. (Bad customer service, had a guy hang up on me because I didn't want to go out in the rain to do a dmarc test, long wait time (at least 60 minutes) for customer service, refusing to use logic that it wasn't the customer's end that was having the problem, list goes on)
Took me about four months to get them to admit there's no problem on my end and the problem is with Bell. With no ETA (which I find unacceptable), they finally agreed to give me my refund on the unused portion. Still waiting for my refund in the mail.