TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by BryceS See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Consistent Speed | 300GB Usage | Canada Computers Promotion"
Bad "Rogers Tech Didn't Activate My Modem -- Took a week to get online"
Overall "Better service than TekSavvy DSL where I live due to crappy phone lines"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Purchased an open box Canada Computers kit for $95+tax

Included:
DCM425
Extreme Service 1 Month Free
Waived Activation Fee

Saved about $60 compared to directly getting setup through TekSavvy

The Rogers tech who installed it has never done a TPIA before, so he didn't know to activate my modem for me. This caused me to not have activate cable internet service for about a week after install. I had TekSavvy DSL service still running as a backup though.

Service has been tip top after that installation snafu.

I live in a small town, so my POI isn't congested at all and I receive 24/1 mbps service all day long compared to some people who live in downtown Toronto.

Comments:

Review by bcwetcoast See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Setting up just before Xmas, was installed just over a week later, stable connection so far , good setup by phone/internet"
Bad "Will call tech support, currently on a 7.5Mbps cable plan but have not achieved anywhere close to that."
Overall "Vancouver, BC Cable Plan. Will keep you updated. Anyone have similar problems? Please leave me a msg."

As of the first posting I gave Teksavvy Cable 4/5 across the board. I wll review again once issues have been ticketed.

Pre-Sale Info, website was straight forward, I have a older SB5101 modem on a WinXP computer. Ordered High speed elite unlimited as I dont' know if I am going to stream TV.

Install, email stated that the tech would call 30mins before he arrives. He just came knocking on the door at 9am. Maybe teksavvy could update that information on the confirmation email as "Tech may call in advance" as my tech stated that he just usually shows up and doesn't call first.

Connection Reliability, possible problems with the existing RG6 cable coming into my apartment, a friend has a cable tester but the look of the installer kind of said it all when I asked him to test the line. It was a "ya it's passable but not great". He didn't say that but his body language looked like that! No disconnects on wired so far.

Tech Support N/A (I haven't called them yet will do in a few days if I don't get enough bandwidth to stream without pauses; great setup support when I ordered)

Services: Good plans, changing due to UBB or whatever the big telecoms renamed it to.

Value for money: Compared to the other providers Teksavvy seem to be one of the leaders in their market.

Thank you Teksavvy will review you again once my issues get resolved.

Comments:

Review by edward80 See Profile

Good "Great service, competitive pricing, friendly staff"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Please continue being the best ISP I've ever known"

Just want to post a review on my experience so far.

Ordered the service on Friday December 23 at about 6PM, no wait time, a rep picked up right away. Within 30 minutes I was able to sign up without any problem.

Got an email from Canada post regarding my modem being picked up for delivery on December 28 as mentioned by the rep from December 23. Modem arrived the next day.

Cable installation happened from my second choice, considering it was during Christmas/New Years, I'm slightly impressed that Rogers can keep up with it! Installation was scheduled between 11AM-2PM on January 2, 2012. Got a call from the Rogers tech at 10:30AM asking me if I was home and he will arrive in 20 minutes. He parked his car infront of my house, did his thing and rang the door bell at 11AM, came in and hooked everything up. During the test to see if I can get to the Internet, it failed but the tech told me to call my provider to activate it.

Called up TekSavvy's technical support line for help .... _no waiting_, someone picked up right away. He brought up my file and confirmed that I got my modem and the installation happened today and said he would activate my service and I should get Internet within 12 hours.

By 2PM after running errands, I came back with Internet! All and all, it was a very painless process, exactly how I remembered it two years ago when I signed up for DSL service. I only left them 5 months ago because the bandrate in my area for dry-loop was too much. But at least now I'm back.

I've given full marks for my review, but for the record there's always room for improvement!

If you're wondering why I was signing up for Internet during the holidays:
Was with Acanac dry-loop and whatever shouldn't happen as a company happened with them. (Bad customer service, had a guy hang up on me because I didn't want to go out in the rain to do a dmarc test, long wait time (at least 60 minutes) for customer service, refusing to use logic that it wasn't the customer's end that was having the problem, list goes on)
Took me about four months to get them to admit there's no problem on my end and the problem is with Bell. With no ETA (which I find unacceptable), they finally agreed to give me my refund on the unused portion. Still waiting for my refund in the mail.

Comments:

Review by RagingBull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "high caps low price"
Bad "high activation fee, ignorant support"

Ordered it about a month ago, modem arrived 9 days after my order, the same date of activation, i did not know i had to reset my router for it to work, so wasted a little bit of time there
so far i have not gotten any downtime, and the speed is as promised(average of 25-35mbps with speedboost and about 15mbps without(1.7mb/s+ torrenting)) the 300gb cap is great.
i've called their customer service once to confirm my address (since there were main and bse i my house) only had to wait 2minutes to get a rep, compared to my past experience with rogers who put me on the line for a hour and called me rude while not being useful, teksavy has done a great job, the entire confirmation process only took a couple of minutes
The initial fee is quite high for me, for that i paid 200 including tax( modem- 99 internet 43, activation 25 and the rest tax) and i the next billing date was a little bit confusing
everything else was fine.

couple of speedtests from different time: »speedtest.net/result/1327624684.png
»speedtest.net/result/1327190895.png
»speedtest.net/result/1323622848.png

New Edit: i am starting to have some slow down issues at night, so what i did was post it in the direct forums, however..the support people keep telling me i'm getting more than what i am paying for(i am assuming they have no idea what speedboost is)
now..without router/speedboost this is the speed im getting at night
[img]»www.speedtest.net/result/1334427···ng[/img]
now understandably this is a upto service, i have no problem dealing with a slightly slower service, but the problem is the attitude and the way they are handling this
the package i ordered is 15/1, the reason why i posted speedtests at all is so that congestion issues can be avoided in the future, as any slow downs should be reported first hand
[BQUOTE=[user=TSI JoelM]]Hi,
It looks like you are getting great speeds for your connection. There seems to be no speed issues here at all. If your torrent is the only thing having difficulty, I would suggest to look it over, maybe re-install it. The issue does not seem to be with our service at all. This test proves that.

[/BQUOTE]
12/0.8 is no where near great speed on a package of 15/1 especially when its a cable service, and again i have no problems dealing with speed but from the sound of it they aren't even gonna bother looking into it until everyone is getting 3mbps again

my service has just taken another dip, connection might seem normal..even ping tests are normal..but everything is throttled to the point that i can barely load youtube videos in 240p nor download stuff off rapidshare or torrents over 30kb/s..made a few threads about this..none of their techs or anyone replied to a single thing..and it seems im not the only one experiencing this.

Comments:

Review by lipper See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Great speed.Getting 40Mbps on 25Mbps line. Price is good."
Bad "Slow email tech support"
Overall "So far so good although I hear price is going up."

Teksavvy support stated I didn't have access to high speed cable...checked online on dslreports with Teksavvy people and they confirmed I had it. Order was painless. Cable modem arrived in a few days. Installation guy from Rogers came on the day and during the time they said. Had high speed cable working about 2 hours after the guy left.

There was no technical info about how to setup anything...coming from DSL I thought I had to setup things but apparently not. No information from Teksavvy about email accounts.

Their tech support is not bad by phone but pretty terrible by email. I was with execulink for DSL for years and I would get an email response within 30 minutes from them and their telephone support was top notch.

So far I'm pleased with Teksavvy. The speed is pretty crazy (getting up to 42Mbps down/1Mbps up)...coming from 1.7Mbps DSL (house far from CO and/or poor cables) it's awesome...

Comments:

Review by Jack Burton See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "300GB monthly bandwidth, Canadian employees, Not Rogers or Bell!"
Bad "Being a 3rd party ISP means Rogers and Bell play games with Teksavvy"
Overall "Switch from Teksavvy DSL to Cable went flawlessly."

I was originally Teksavvy DSL but Bell Canada was constantly playing games by pulling me off the remote and causing my connection speed to drop as low as 2.8 meg. I loved the service and the price when I was on the remote but terrible speeds when they put me back on the distant CO.

Finally decided to switch over to Teksavvy Cable instead of dealing with putting in a ticket to see if I could be put back on the remote again. Unfortunately when I looked into switching Teksavvy had a "stop sell" on the YorkMills POI. They weren't allowing any new customers in my area because of network congestion. I had to wait about two months for Rogers to complete the upgrades in my area.

As soon as the "stop sell" was lifted I placed an order using the form on the Teksavvy website. Was nice and painless but had to wait a day or so to get a confirmation email...no big deal. I also ordered the DCM475 DOCSIS 3 Modem at the same time on my credit card.

Modem arrived within 2 days and I picked it up at my local postal outlet. Very small modem that looks fairly cheap for $99 but when I did a search I found that Teksavvy was charging a good rate for it so I had nothing to complain about. My old DSL modem in comparison looked much sturdier and had a robust set of menus (ie stats reporting). Obviously I can't blame Teksavvy for the design of the modem.

I had a few questions about how my old DSL service would be de-activated so I posted in the Teksavvy "direct" forums of this website. I am used to a fairly short response time in the direct forums but it took a few days for an answer. This surprised and worried me a little. I was finally told that I had to call into Teksavvy to cancel the DSL service and that it would be de-activated almost immediately. Does that mean I will get a refund for the remaining days that I already paid for? If not, shouldn't the DSL service be de-activated after the month runs out? They need a system that is more customer friendly for people switching over. I am still confused about this part of the process.

Activation day finally came (I had 3 days to choose from when I booked the technician and Teksavvy emailed me which day he would actually show up...this part of the process was very well done). Technician showed up about 2:45 which was nice since the window was 2-5pm. Of course he did the old sales pitch trying to get me to switch over to Rogers but other than that he was pleasant to deal with. He stapled the cable to the wall, put in a splitter, and checked the quality. He reported that everything was working at their end but that we had to call Teksavvy since the service wasn't fully activated.

Called Teksavvy and spent a very short time on hold. Pleasantly surprised because of the stories of longer wait times recently. The Teksavvy person was great and had the service up and running in 45 mins despite saying that it could take as long as 9 hours for it to be fully working.

So far I seem to be getting the full advertised price for the Extreme cable package on the YorkMills POI. However it is difficult to get an accurate speed test because of Roger's Speed Boost. I will still also have to watch how the connection is during peak hours. I am crossing my fingers hoping that the YorkMills POI won't get congested again.

Overall very happy with the service and for the most part a perfect transition from Teksavvy DSL to cable.

Update: A major screw up by Teksavvy. When I went to cancel my Teksavvy DSL service I made it very clear that I had switched to Teksavvy Cable. The woman gave me a pro-rated credit applied to my next cable bill. Everything seemed fine until a few days later when I noticed that ALL OF MY EMAIL ACCOUNTS had been deleted! Argh! I had to call back in to get them activated but the damage was already done. Teksavvy had already permanently deleted all of the emails from the server! All I got was a very brief apology and no concern for my deleted emails or for my lost new incoming emails. It appears that they did absolutely nothing to ensure that this doesn't happen to other people.

Comments:

Review by Gongster See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Good speeds, no caps, no contracts"
Bad "Poor support and installation time"
Overall "If you are trying to get away from Rogers take a look at Teksavvy"

I have had my Rogers connection for about 15 years now and have had both good and bad experiences with it. In the past 5 years the Rogers connection has been solid however the data caps are what made up my mind to switch.

It took 16 days from calling Teksavvy until everything was installed. Calling them in the beginning was a hassle, as there would be no one to pick up the phone. It took me a couple of days to reach someone because I did not have the time to hold. Also their callback feature is a joke. I placed a call at 7PM and received the callback at 1AM.

Service wise Teksavvy looks like it is on the same level as my Rogers connection which I have had no complaints. (»www.speedtest.net/result/1673517666.png) Pretty much the same speed as my old connection without the caps.

Comments:

Review by oldsam See Profile

Good "Good speeds throughout the day, exceeds promised (up to 28-33mbps) during off peak hours"
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Moving from Rogers to Teksavvy has been a very good decision."

I ordered the Teksavvy Extreme Cable Pro package back in july, since I've been aching to move to an unlimited connection (I was with Rogers). The initial procedures to switch to Teksavvy did not go very smoothly, and I ended up without an internet connection for 4 days. My house was supposed to be already connected and I only needed to plug in the cable, but about 10 days after the order, I get an email saying that It will have to be new order. I was given a specific day where my connection will be activated, and everything went extremely smoothly from there onward. I was a bit skeptical because of all the negative reviews regarding slowness during off peak hours, but my experience so far has been absolutely amazing. I only had one downtime, and it was from 3:00 to 5:00am, and that's about it. I'm now paying the same as what I was paying back with Rogers, and I'm so much happier. I stream about 90 hours of HD content a month and I don't even have to worry about it.

Comments:

Review by mikefallen See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, Stable, Price, Indie ISP"
Bad "Rogers & the installation process"
Overall "Yeah it might take you a while to get going, but once you are its smooth sailing"

I have been with teksavvy for 8 months now, i'm on the mcnicol POI and am very happy.
Yeah it took rogers 3 times to get the installation correct, but that is their own fault not teksavvy's.

KEEP IT UPPPPP!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by sas See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Responsive to Customers. Real people on the phone and online. Large bandwith allowance. Reasonable price."
Bad "Install co-ordination could be better. Sales/service could've been trained more."
Overall "Best bang for my bucks (under review as of Dec. 8)"

Update #3: 2011-12-15

Got internet on the cable back on December 12, quite late at night. Not sure what really happened. TS support probably had no idea either! Anyway, I am glad I got it back. I revised my rating for "connection reliability" from 1 (worse) to 2 (just under average ,maybe?). This pretty much reflect TekSavvy's wholesaler "Rogers" cable internet reliability. TS has no control whatsoever on the reliability as the DHCP outage has proved. Rating for "value for money" is now back to 5 (best).

End of update #3

Update #2: 2011-12-11

I still have no access to the internet via TS cable service. Post my problem in the TS direct forum, I got prompt responses. However, the responses have not solve the problem!

They passed on the message from Rogers to me via the forum. The message stated that I was online with x.x.x.x IP address, with instructions to cycle power of the modem. I never had an IP address and could not log on the modem to find out what happened! I have contacted TS tech support a second time after following the instructions posted in the TS direct and failing to get an IP address on the modem. We went through the same troubleshooting steps as the first time and finally gave up. The same ticket went back to Rogers. Another message from Rogers, posted by TS agent , indicated I also have had an IP. I never had one.

I wished TS tech support would call me when they Rogers response so that we can verify Rogers claim, which I find hard to trust! Because of the non-result tech support, I now revised the rating for tech support form 5 (best) to 3. Services from 5 (best) to 3. Vaule for money from 5 (best) to 4.

End of update #2

************************************************

Update: 2011-12-08

My cable internet is down today. I don't know when it started. Last night I still used it until 6pm. Went to work. When I started my computer at 11:20am this morning, I realized the internet did not work. My router report that I have no IP address. I went to the usual steps of power off computer, router, and modem, renew ip address, but they did not help.

I called TS tech support but after 40 minutes on the phone, he could not help me to get back online. There was a pre-recorded message about an outage in the Toronto area. TS tech put in a ticket for me, regarding my call, but I have to wait 48 hours for a response. He asked me to keep power-cycling the modem to see if I can get any connection: none so far.

I now revise this review and downgrade the connection reliability to zero (no connection) to reflect the situation.

End of update

************************************************

Service+Performance+Trust/Price = best ratio out there in the GTA and maybe in Ontario. Most phone calls, forum questions, and emails are answered or replied quickly, in a responsive and professional manner. Bandwidth allowance is generous. For me, these points are attractive and will keep me with them.

The reason why I give them 4 stars for install coordination is that their sales staff don't seem aware of the current DHCP outage. Also, they don't know much about the installation guidelines that Rogers has to provide to customer at minimum. They did transfer me to tech staff to answer the questions.

2011-11-11: Call TS sales to confirm no "stop sell". I plan to buy the "extreme" starter kit from Canada Computers. TS confirms that even though I will buy the DOCSIS 3.0 DCM475 modem, it is it's OK to use with express or lite when I want to downgrade. I, however, must enrolled on extreme on first free month. I can change account in second month and pay $5 change fee.

2011-11-12: I plan to disconnect my cable TV at a later date. Contact TS Martin on dlsreport forum about effect of disconnecting TV cable and installation time slots. He confirms there is no ill effects on the performance of the internet on cable, if Rogers only disconnect TV service. I was worried about Rogers installation appointments out of past experience. He assured there are 4 times slots to choose from.

2011-11-18: Buy starter kit. Call TS to register. Scheduled installation on November 29. Got email for order confirm same day. She is very helpful but not quite knowledgeable to my questions. I think she had to put me on hold 2 times to get the answers. The last question, I was transferred to tech support for an answer. Tech staff assured outage should end by the time I get service.

2011-11-21: Got invoice in email.

2011-11-29@10am. Rogers tech called and said would arrive at 10:30am. He arrived quite soon. I was quite worried out of past experience with Rogers, that the tech will just do a quick and dirty job to leave. Turned out he was quite pleasant to deal with. He introduced his name, and a handshake. He did not work for Rogers. His jacket had the embroiled words "on contract for Rogers".

Once inside my house, he quickly inspected site and size the job. I showed him the hole in the wall I drilled yesterday. Incidentally its raining all day, so the pre-drilled hole kept him working long in the rain. I explained I did not desire to have the cable running across the house, thus the drilled hole on the wall. He agreed.

He went outside, opened the grey box, test the cable from the ground check the splitter. Run a long cable from the box into the hole on the outside brick wall. I pulled the cable from inside. The cable run took only a minute. He went back inside to test the signal. I quickly powered up TS DCM475 modem and hooked it to the computer. When he handed me the cable, I plugged it to the modem.

To my surprise, it only took a few minutes to get Google page. I'm on the net. Run a speed test for proof, while he stapled the cable to the outside brick wall. Despite of the advertised extreme cable speed of 24Mbps on dl, the speed test only showed 7.4Mbps.

I contacted TS on TSdirect forum, and was told that my ATA phone adapter/router was the problem. Upon removing the ATA from the cable modem, I got flying colors speed test at 49Mbps.

Once I re-installed my Dlink router and ATA phone adapter, the speed was reduced. Not sure why but still happy. Over all, the installation was easier than I think. I am lucky in a way the DCHP does not seem to affect me the way I feared. I think it a good move.