Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by OlegL See Profile

• Location: L6A4E6

I made a decision to switch to Teksavvy from Rogers for several reasons: I was Teksavvy customer in the past but couldn't get their service after the move to new residence; 2nd is that TekSavvy started to provide cable internet service in my area; and 3d is that I'm tired to negotiate discounts with Rogers to get decent acceptable price.

So I arranged to have my Rogers internet connection "transferred" over to TS Cable on March 26, 2012. The 'transfer" never happened. I called Teksavvy Support at 12:30 AM on March 27th so they can file a ticket for Rogers which "should" be resolved in the next 48 hours. What a coincidence when Rogers called me back today morning on March 27th and asked if I consider to get their service back with new discounts, $50 gift card, free modem rental, etc. Now I cannot go back to Rogers immediately because Teksavvy will not refund my activation fee and first month service fee unless I provide them 48 hours to work it out with Rogers.

Basically I stuck with no Internet "until further notice". I hate Rogers for giving this pain to customers who leaving them, and I'm not happy with TekSavvy because they can't deal with these issue quick.

It is the fact that this issue is related to Rogers staff who did not register my new cable modem on their end. I bet they will not do it anytime soon.

I have wait 48 hours before I can do any move (back to Rogers, or going Bell, of whoever)

If you can't afford downtime with the internet service and want to switch to Teksavy cable, I recommend you switch to any DSL provider first without contract, then give a month or so time to TekSavvy and Rogers to play their "transfer" games. Once you get your new cable up and running, test it for all your need then cancel DSL.

To get DSL for me now is a 7 day waiting time so I'm stack with no Internet.

Update:

After 24 hours downtime, Rogers registered my modem in their cable network and my TekSavvy internet was up and running even faster then with Rogers, hitting 50 Mbps downstream on speed test.net

Very pleased with this. Teksavvy technical support called me home to follow-up if my Internet is up so they closed the ticket with Rogers.

Now I am happy customer who is glad to come back to Teksavvy with fast Internet service without contracts and without annoing small bandwidth monthly limits.

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by franklyong See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Price, speed, cap, and Tech Support"
Bad "Middleman for Rogers"
Overall "If you willing to take risks then go for it!"

·WIND Mobile
-I just jumped back on the bandwagon from not having Cable for a few years and is it much faster than before.
-Modem was scheduled the same day as installation but came in day before.
-Install took about 5 minutes but Tech left before connection was up.
-Ordered Technicolor Thompson DCM475 - 4/1 channel bonding.
-If your not affected by congestion or throttling then your good.
-Rogers Extreme 28/1

Lucky that it worked out for me.
»www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 8760.png
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6810.png

Comments:

Review by Cramoyo See Profile

Good "I love it, it's prepaid no contracts"
Overall "It's more than what I expected :)"

I had many choices to go with but I made the right choice when I signed up with amazing Tekksavy. I got the 24mb dn and 1up all I can say is oh wow I have the 3.0 drsis modem I get speeds upto 50mb really impressed with teksavvys Internet thanks to technical support for your advise.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by ghostly57 See Profile

• Location: QC, Canada
Good "Good coordination among TekSavvy employees, very good prices and packages"
Bad "Videotron likes to sabotage them"
Overall "Seems to be a very good ISP as long as you can handle the wait to get online"

At first, I wanted to order Acanac’s 5Mbps DSL at 24.95$/month with a 1-year payment in advance, but I discovered that the area I live in can only get speeds as high as 2Mbps. Therefore, I just forgot DSL and started looking at Cable. TekSavvy immediately caught my attention because of its outstanding prices. I ordered the Quebec High-Speed Package (8Mbps Down, 1Mpbs Up, 50GB cap, 32.95$/month) on August 22nd with a scheduled appointment date of August 27th (AM). I chose the Motorola SB5101N, since I don’t care about the newest technology; I just want something that works well (I have had dial-up for 9 years, so even the cheapest cable modem would make me very happy). Unfortunately, no one showed up on the install date. I called TekSavvy and they told that they‘d find me an evening appointment date after checking with Videotron. I am not mad at TekSavvy; I rather find them quite organized and kind. I really feel like Videotron likes to make them have a hard time with their customers and sabotage their reputation. So currently, I am waiting to get my appointment date. I ABHOR VIDEOTRON!!!

Today (01/09/2011), they gave me the appointment date of September 7th in the evening, which is exactly what I wanted. Let's see if he shows up this time.

Update: The Videotron tech didn't show up even if they had called to confirm. I called TekSavvy to book another appointment, but they told me to try the modem, since they may have activated it from the outside. I tried it and it worked. So it's great. Success. The bottom line is: TekSavvy is a wonderful ISP, but if you are the kind of person who is impatient try to go with Videotron or Rogers. Otherwise, GO TEKSAVVY GO!!! I'm getting around 8.3 Mbps Download and 1.04 Upload. It's very good!

UPDATE (13/03/2012) - Today, TekSavvy announced a new plan, which I'll be subscribing to. It's the 8Mbps Down and 1Mbps Up with a 75GB (25GB more than my previous plan) for 3 dollars less (down to 29.95$ from 32.95$). I am very pleased with TekSavvy.

Comments:

Review by TwiztedZero See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "DSLr Direct Support Online & Able to pay via Online Banking."
Bad "Dupont POI appears slow at some peak times. *improving though*"
Overall "I Heart My TSI Service so far now. Going on 6th month."

Found out about TekSavvy indirectly while looking for options to buy my own modem to go with my spanking new WNDR3700v1 Netgear router and happened upon both the SB6120 & TekSavvy via DSL reports. At this point I'd decided this might be the ISP I've been looking for.

Spent a few months watching the TekSavvy Threads on DSLr from as far back as April 2011 and liking what I saw in spite of other negativities, being particularly impressed by higher ups like Rocky & Marc and their no nonsense hands on approach to customer service and the pro consumer stance they take with the CRTC on UBB as well as the various things enabled on TSI that you won't find on other ISP's like running your own server for instance (something I've been wanting

to do on the hobby side). And so I sent in an inquiry about payment methods, and signing up online. Got good answers, and went from there.

Put my order in on the 31st of August, 2011 - and it got cleared fairly soon after. No need to use a phone. Though this presented a problem with the hook up techs for the physical connection; order was rejected for lack of a tel number. Resolved this through oodles of patience via the TekSavvy Direct forum. 2nd install date came on Sept. 20 and I met the line tech contractor from Link-On out front, had him come up and throw on a nice spanking new RG6; and watched him physically affix the orange TPIA tag before he left.

Ran a few tracerts determined that I'm indeed on the Dupont POI, then some speedtests both on speedtest.net and DSLr ... considering I'm still on the SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH 25+Mbps in the afternoons have been ok, though at night it drops considerably down around 1+Mpbs at times. I'll be keeping an eye on that over the next few weeks. No idea if that'll change when I get the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH firmware pushed to me, hopefully soon. But I'm hopeful once the POI upgrades are done, and everythings working smooth again things will be much better after November. So for now, Imma be patient. This is only DAY 2 of using TekSavvy; and I'm willing to stay the course through thick & thin, come whatever may.

Current Major Issues: As outlined in TSI Blog: »blogs.teksavvy.com/2011/ ··· ndwidth/ re: Dupont POI

* Sept 24- 2:30 A.M.: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH firmware was pushed to me. GREAT! So that puts me on the 24/1 profile, I think.

New price hikes announced Jan 2012: TSI Extreme Cable Pro Unlimited to be $70 including tax for an unlimited 24Mbps/1Mbps profile. ($7.91 raise from $62.09)

* The new prices went into effect Feb. 2, 2011. TSI Extreme Cable Pro Unlimited $61.95+ Ontario HST 13% $8.05: Total: $70.00

February 24, 2012 one new 1GigE link was activated at the Dupont POI after a legnthly delay of several months, with a second 1GigE expected to go live any day now since they installed both at the same time, Bringing the Dupon POI to I think a total of four GigE links.

* There is still a stop sell on Dupont POI at this time, it may be lifted in the near future, I'm hopeful that if and when that happens new upgrade GigE links will be on the way so we don't end up going through the congestion and long wait times again.

* Rogers is again upgrading the network speeds, so we are anticipating another bump up to 28Mbps down with the same 1Mbps upstream on the Extreme Pro tier probably sometime in March, or maybe longer for TSI subs, keep an eye on the forum for more details.

Is keeping a .txtfile record of speedtests on speedtest.net and TekSavvy speedtests both for references; I run these at random times.

Thanks go out to all the TSI staff that assisted me in getting up & running. Kudos!

; ==============================
; Additions to this 'review' will be updated
; as I go along through the matrix that is
; TekSavvy.
; ==============================
/*CHEERS*/

member for 4 years, 2158 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OmegAHAL See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Good "Very hard to beat value for the money!!!"
Bad "Install co-ordination was VERY bad"

So, after reading comments about this ISP and considering Vidéotron was announcing me that my cable acess would jump from 35$ IAC to 60$, I tried to switch to Techsavvy...

Feb 3, Vidéotron was past and Techsavvy was supposed to be future...
Well, it did not.

After more than 2 hours, in total, with techsavvy's cust. support they decided yesterday that they would send a Vidéotron tech to my house. It's been 1 week now that i'm Internet-less.

Stay tuned, more updates to go...

So here are the updates:
Its been a year and it working like a charm!!!!

member for 13.1 years, 240 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by komi See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Customer service, speed (daytime),"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Highly recommended, at least for Don Mills and Sheppard area, North York, ON"

·Bell Fibe
Hi all,
This is my first review ever.
It’s been 6 months since I signed up with TSI Extreme cable internet. So far no complaints. Happy camper.
I can’t even complain about waiting times over the phone back in Aug-Sept 2011 when a lot of people said they waited more than an hour to talk to a TSA representative.
For me the waiting time was just 8-10 minutes few times when I called in for some billing issues (promptly fixed) and to set up the e-mail accounts.
Now don’t get me wrong. There are some speed issues at night, but not as dramatically as others say. For me around 10.00pm the DL speed is around 15 Mbs and in the morning over 30 Mbs. All those speeds are wireless with a DOCSYS 2.0 modem and a crappy DIR 615 router.
As a mention, before I had Rogers Cable Internet, and the speed was somehow comparable. Why should I blame TSI?
All in all, I am giving TSI service 5 stars.

member for 3.7 years, 774 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yyzUnderdog See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Like the price, speed, independent spirit, personal touches, support from reseller"
Bad "Spotty performance in the evening hours"
Overall "If you have a stable Rogers Cable connection, probably worth looking at - that's what I did"

So far, so good with Teksavvy. I had a great TSI reseller walk me through the process and had dual rogers and TSI lines up for about 1 month just in case I didn't like the service. All things considered, a little less reliable than Rogers, and some more noticable slowdowns at peak, but worth the effort.

Not looking back. And fingers crossed that TSI balances out their quality of service.

Comments:

Review by stephsm See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "great package options; Good overall price; no throttling!!"
Bad "high upfront cost, no online usage tracking....really can't think of anything else...."
Overall "Great overall value for the money"

Originally had Rogers Express service for a number of year previous. Speeds have never been an issue and was always stable, however usage has been starting to become an issue over the last number of months with the increased use of Streaming and having participated in a game beta that required full 30GB downloads every couple of weeks. I had tried to upgrade, but Rogers cancelled the order with no explanation, so by the end of December, I more or less had to find another option. TekSavvy had come highly recommended by a number of friends and colleagues, and since it was in my area now, I figured why not; Seeing as they used Rogers network, the service had to be the same, right?

Cancelled Rogers on the 27th of December, to take effect on the 26th of Jan. Ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable 24 on the 10th of Jan. Order confirmed and modem shipped on the 12th, received on the 13th. On the 26th, still had Rogers Modem connected, and when I got home that evening, swapped the old with the new, and it just worked. Check of the IP confirmed I was now connected with TekSavvy. Kudo's to Rogers for making this a seemless transfer; gotta give credit where it's due. Now for the speed tests:

I've been extremely pleased with the overall performance with TekSavvy. With Rogers, despite Speetests showing that I had my advertised speeds of 12Mbps, I'd hit on average 800KB/s for most downloads, but on occasion I would hit over 1MB/s. Torrents were particularly terrible, hitting at most 300KB/s. I had tried downloading the client for World of Tanks just prior to the cancellation and I hit about 150KB/s, which was pretty typical... With TekSavvy, downloading the same client, I easily hit 2.5MB/s and I had a 2.5GB file in less than 30 minutes.. I just tried it again for the hell of it and again I'm streaming along @ 2.6-2.7MB/s; I never had this type of connection with Rogers

And so far, the connection is still as rock solid as it has ever been. The only downsides I've been able to think of is the $200 up front fee, for the modem, instlation and first month, and the fact they don't seem to have a usage monitor. Fixed the latter by taking an old router and installing the Tomato firmware and it's been doing a bang up job so far.

Overall, so far, I have absolutely no regrets with transferring over to TekSavvy. Reading some of the customer issues did have me a bit worried, and having worked for a telco who did wholesale sales to 3rd part ISP's, I knew there were risks, but on the whole, this was a pain free migration with Zero down time.

cheers!

Steph S.

Comments:

Review by phlypsyde See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Price & Connection (Shaw last mile)"
Bad "Feedback from support agents on phone"
Overall "Worth a switch from Shaw in BC! Best value for money!"

Background:
--------------------------------------
I understand the Shaw HFC & backend provisioning system well. I have been using Shaw for years as they have the best infrastructure next to Novus in Vancouver. Unfortunately Novus is not available where I live.

Teksavvy Switch:
--------------------------------------
I recently made the switch to Teksavvy Cable in the Kitsilano neighbourhood of Vancouver. I was on the Shaw 25/2.5 package that recently went up from $59/month to $62/month; the second price increase within 1 year! Knowing that Teksavvy leases the last mile from shaw and just hands off for internet routing at a Gbit Point Of Interconnect, I bit the bullet to give it a go. I'm on day 1 but so far so good as there is no major discernible difference.

I already had a Motorola SB5101 that I had purchased from Shaw years ago. Unfortunately Teksavvy couldn't confirm if the modem could be activated on Shaw as they have no system in place to pre-check. They informed me they would only find out if it could be provisioned once they placed an order with Shaw via email. I'm sure Shaw is making it as hard for them as possible as they are basically providing the same service for 1/2 price.

I knew no install technician was required as the switch-over to Teksavvy would just be a provisioning task on the Shaw side. However, Teksavvy still booked an install appointment. I asked support if an install technician had to visit for some reason and never got an answer. Ultimately the time came and went and I never hear anything from anyone. I called technical support who answered straight away (great!) but was clearly disinterested to the point of yawning twice during the call (terrible!) and didn't seem to understand how Teksavvy Cable worked in BC. This rep wanted to book another install time and I let him know it shouldn't be necessary. He couldn't confirm when the provision would be complete that day (why book the install time if the provision wouldn't happen?) and just told me Shaw had until midnight to provision so I should just keep trying. Unsatisfied with this I posed to the Teksavvy direct forum where I got a timely response from a knowledgeable representative who checked the account and confirmed no install technician was needed and that the provision would happen by midnight. So, I've learned to use the teksavvy direct forum from now on as they seem to have senior technicians who put thought into what they are doing.

Shaw vs Teksavvy testing
--------------------------------------
My Teksavvy service was provisioned by Shaw during the afternoon and I ran some rudimentary testing to share here while I had both Shaw 25/2.5 & Teksavvy 25/2.5 connections active. All tests were ran wired to the same model cable modem (Motorola SB5101) and then wired into the one on the other service.

Speettest.net

Shaw EasyNews (30 connections) - circa 1800 KB / sec
Teksavvy EasyNews (30 connections) - circa 1800 KB / sec

TL;DR:
--------------------------------------
Expect Teksavvy to give weak support via telephone. Post to teksavvy direct for good assistance. Post exact questions to get the answers you want. i.e. - Will a technician be dispatched for a transfer of service? Teksavvy not different than Shaw service in practice, up to the 25/2.5 plan as that is the fastest plan Teksavvy offer. Make the switch!