TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by mitchsomes

• Location: N2E
Good "Fantastic speed and ping times. Cheap, high cap"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "If you were thinking of switching from Rogers Cable, DO IT!"

Great ISP. I cancelled Rogers and the day of the cancellation I plugged in my
Teksavvy modem and after about 10 minutes it worked perfectly. I am getting a
constant 1.6-1.7MBps down and speedboost kicks it up past 50Mbps sometimes! just
check out this speedtest.net screenshot:

»speedtest.net/result/1406670073.png

Zero throttling thus far, just pure internet the way it is meant to be. I am on
the 15Mbps 300GB plan and it costs less than what I paid for 95GB and 10Mbps at
Rogers. I don't normally sign up do do reviews like this but this first day alone has blown me away. I haven't used tech support yet which is why I only rated it in the middle.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.ca)

Comments:

Review by sm00nie See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Service is exactly as described"
Bad "Nothing as of yet"
Overall "Absolutely excellent service for the cost"

I ordered Teksavvy internet a week before I moved out with a helpful rep over the phone (took about 10 minutes max). They told me it would take 7 days to get a rep out and service activated, which was fine as I would not be in my new apartment earlier. They offered to sell me a modem, but I had already purchased a sb6120. The rep came on the assigned date and within 10 minutes he was all done and said the service would be up within the hour. I was not at home for the rest of the day, but the next morning everything was working fine.

I ran a speedtest and then a sustained download to confirm the speed and I received exactly what I paid for, 15mbps down and 1mbps up (300gb allotted bandwidth) for $42.95. It's been a month and I have had one outage, but that was not Teksavvy's fault and it was caused by a construction crew accidentally cutting lines (major outage in midtown Toronto). Otherwise, there have been absolutely no issues.

The speed has been consistent and there were no surprises with the billing.

The installation went flawless and the service has been excellent for the one month period.

Comments:

Review by Stefan1975 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good Price for unlimited account"
Bad "Right now a little on the slow side"
Overall "Best deal in Canada in my opinion. I am totally satisfied with TekSavvy"

I had used Rogers for years (Ultimate package). However it was severely capped and cost to much. When I switch to TekSavvy their was no installation needed (because I was switching from Rogers) and on the day I switched I just plugged in my new modem from Teksavvy and it works.

Teksavvy was upfront about all fees and costs on the phone. No contract. You need to buy a new modem and pay the setup fee including the first month. This came to about 200 dollars. Worth the price for switching though because now I pay 63 dollars(Rogers was 99 dollars severely capped) for unlimited bandwidth. I currently have the fastest speed on TekSavvy's cable which is 15mps. It is a little slow. However for me I don't mind because unlimited bandwidth is more important to me then speed because I download hundreds of gigs per month.

The connection is reliable. Only had 2 times when I was disconnected from the internet. Both times for less then 5 minutes.

I recommend Canadians to switch to TekSavvy. I am Totally satisfied. Oh one more thing they are upgrading to faster accounts right now up to 24mbps I hear soon.

My order took 30 days to complete because Rogers made me give 30 days notice. I have heard that they can set your internet up in as little a 1 week maybe even sooner.

Comments:

Review by corster See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Faster than DSL, Fair Usage Caps, No money to Bell"
Bad "Rogers is still new to the wholesale game"
Overall "TekSavvy Cable is the best bang for your buck"

I ordered TekSavvy Express Cable (10/512) and had it up and running within a week of my order.

Had a couple of issues coordinating the install between TekSavvy and Rogers (through no fault of TekSavvy), but we eventually got it all sorted out. Rogers came to my apartment, tested signal strength, tagged my line TPIA, and the service began to work shortly thereafter.

I purchased the DCM425 modem from TekSavvy for $75, minus the $20 activation credit. It works well for the service i'm using, and I don't have any complaints, but if I were to do it all over again, I would likely spend a little bit more money for a DOCSIS 3 modem, to ensure compatibility with future speed increase - Rogers is already refusing to upgrade speeds for DOCSIS 2 customers, but this policy has not yet been carried over to TekSavvy.

Rogers is still fairly new to wholesale, so TekSavvy representatives do not have the diagnostic tools available to them that they would have with DSL. This means that it can be slightly difficult to have issues resolved, so make sure you're patient. Apparently Rogers is working with their wholesale clients to create tools for wholesalers to use for technical support, modem changes, etc, so once that it done, things should get alot better on the Cable front.

The service has been fairly reliable, consistent speeds, and much faster than my old Bell DSL line. If TekSavvy Cable is available in your area, it's the best bang for your buck.

member for 12.4 years, 5266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daletkine See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, knowledgeable pre-sales, great value"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "I'd say, possibly the best internet provider in Canada"

I ordered TekSavvy 15Mb package the same day that I cancelled my Rogers internet. I got fed up with Rogers charging $50 every single month for additional bandwidth.
To cancel Rogers, I had to wait 30 days, so TekSavvy scheduled connection on the same day of Roger's disconnecting. So, when time came, my Rogers modem stopped getting connection. I plugged in my TekSavvy-ready modem and It connected in about 5 minutes. One word: Effortless.
Had it only a few days so far, so this is more of a preview. I'll write another review a few months down the road.
I bought my modem at TigerDirect.ca, where the TekSavvy reps pointed me to. It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6120 Cable Modem.

Speed.
So, on a 15Mb plan, I achieved 22Mbps download speed on Speedtest.net and over 18Mbps on testmy.net.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1386995881.png
»testmy.net/W3COa0k.png
»testmy.net/0pExyWq.png
So, the speed is above what's advertised. That's great. Ping is also very low - and I play a lot of video games. Just FYI, my Rogers was 10Mb plan and all I got out of it was 5Mbps, probably thanks to their crappy modem.
»testmy.net/5FzadKC.png
That's the advantage of having your own modem. TekSavvy uses Rogers network, so speeds should be identical between them, with a good modem. I'm very happy so far!
The big advantage of TekSavvy is the great value of the packages. $45 is not exactly dirt cheap, but I get fast speed and 300GB download limit, which is enough for my 3 computers in household. Great value!
Finally, support was very helpful. They told me where to get the modem, there is a list of modems available on TekSavvy page, they answered all my questions and seemed knowledgeable.
Overall, I'm extremely happy so far - no delays, a perfect switch; fast speeds and excellent value. We'll see how it goes.

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Deaks2 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "As expected from TSI, no issues!"
Bad "Nil"

Package: TPIA 15Mbps/1Mbps

Once TPIA providers came online in our area we quickly pulled the plug on our Rogers Internet service and signed up for TSI. I already knew the Rogers infrastructure in the area was solid, and I maintained Rogers TV, therefore avoiding any possible installation issues.

The connection always delivers its advertised speeds, the Speedboost feature is nice for the first 100 MB of each transfer, and unlike Rogers there is no throttling of VPN or torrents. Also, the DNS lookup delays I had experienced with Rogers are gone.

Comments:

Review by travyb See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Price, speed, 300gb cap."
Bad "the dont offer cable tv?"
Overall "cant beat it"

15/1 cable, 300gb cap $43/mth. speeds are within target and normally slightly higher. Very helpful sales rep when ordered. very friendly and helpful. Every question was answered right away. no run around. Switched from rogers who was charging a fortune and who's staff and field techs are clueless. would rather gouge my eyes out than to deal with rogers or bell ever again.

Comments:

Review by Aldagr8 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "The Rates, speeds offered and Bandwidth limits"
Bad "Slower speeds due to Rogers Server upgrades"
Overall "Overall once everything is normal, Speeds are Excellent"

I am happy with my Cable 15/1 service with 300 gb limit/mth. I will definitely upgrade to unlimited if i think 300 is not enough or the Exciting rumours of higher speeds on the way.

Inititally i faced some issues with setup speeds and constant disconnections. But overall the speed is fine now. It's sluggish towards late evenings near the Yonge/Sheppard and I am being routed to the Greensboro POI. As the servers are being upgraded, I am definitely excited about stable speeds in the near future.

Yesterday i had speeds of over 2 MB/s in the evening around 6 pm which was AWESOME . I have the DCM 475 which is running these speeds smoothly enough for the time being .

Used new DNS settings from google benchmark tool which might help other users if they are having connectivity issues to some sites. Here's the link from another helpful user: »code.google.com/p/namebench/

I got my service activated on June 30, 2011. Just initial Setup issues. Not blamed on Teksavvy but on Rogers Server upgrades.

Experience with the support staff?
They called me up the very next day at 10 in the morning eventhough it was holiday and routed me to tech who briefed me on some Modem dignostics page info. Very helpful and informative.

Comments:

Review by Leachman See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Friendly people, solid connection, call-backs!"
Bad "Some internal communication issues, soem patience require dif you encounter issues"
Overall "Solid vlaue, customer-centric service, no caps!"

I tried both 2-link MLPPP and cable for 1-2 months to test. I use my own VoIP for telephone service, and stream/download concnte exclusively for television and movie watching. Being able to stream HD, make a call and download content at the same time without issues was very important for me. I was gald to find the cable stable and quick. I dropped the DSL service and have been very happy with my Teksavvy cable service. I now surf, download and stream without worry about a data caps or service degredation.

Comments:

Good "grate speed reliable 300GB cap"
Bad "none"

thank you teksavvy. order went grate installation 1 day late as Rogers did not come on time, but it got connected 20 min. it was up and ruining no trouble

(review was emailed in)