TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by motoraway See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Service works as advertised. Connection up time is good."
Bad "Customer service cannot complete changes of service correctly."
Overall "Service is good and works, as long as you're not making a change."

Our household has been a customer of Teksavvy for 3 years now. We've watched Teksavvy grow into what it is today.

Our original switch from Sympatico DSL service to Teksavvy was painless and simple. We placed the order and the connection switch happened while at work without us noticing. We switched to the MLPPP product once available without any issue at all. No calls to support as our connection always worked and if it was down, it would only be moments.

The problems with have encountered with Teksavvy have been both times we've had change in services. The first time we changed home phone companies, which we notified Teksavvy of a month in advance, what after several calls was our DSL disconnected 5 days early and being without internet access for 10+ days. We were offered a pro-rated discount for all the troubles, but it was never applied. Our second issue arrived recently when we notified Teksavvy 27 days in advance that we would be moving and switching from our DSL at our current location to cable when we moved into our new home a month later. I called them to inform them they were shipping our modem to our new home, not our current address. They corrected the information, however they didnt correct the problem as it was sent to our new address, which we can't access. Tech supports options will leave us without a new modem at our new location for over a week. I will be attempting to correct the situation with a manager and will update this review accordingly.

Overall the service is good as long as you don't have to make any changes to your service.

Comments:

Review by Syntekka See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Actual speeds very close to advertised speed, easy all-online signup/activation, seamless transfer from existing cable provider"
Bad "None so far."
Overall "No caps, great speeds, easy ordering and activation!"

Our seamless activation of TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (15 down/1 up, with no downloading cap) didn't require even one call to Teksavvy at any time. We signed up online at their website, and got various notification emails they sent over the course of the several days before activation. One of the later emails requires you to click to confirm the activation date, so make sure you do read the notes.

Leading up to our switch, we gave our existing provider (Rogers) the requisite 30 days notice, and clearly stated to them that although we were canceling, we were switching to TekSavvy cable, not cutting off cable internet service completely on that day! We had them note these specifics in their file.

We then submitted our online application to TekSavvy 14 days in advance of our desired activation date. I'm glad I didn't leave a shorter window before signing up online with TekSavvy, or else the desired activation date might not have been available to choose in their online system.

Our cable modem (DCM475) arrived in the mail about a week before service was to start.

The Rogers termination date and Teksavvy activation date were set to be the same day, 8am-11am. Around 8:10am the Rogers internet service stopped working, and shortly after that the Rogers truck showed up. The technician checked things out inside and outside the house, and said the cable internet signal was coming through fine and we were all set.

We hooked up the new cable modem and booted up the computer and weren't getting a working internet connection. The Rogers tech suggested that if we still couldn't connect for another half hour after he left to call TekSavvy. Since I'm familiar with troubleshooting (fixing loose cables and rebooting several times usually solves things) I soon noticed the ethernet connector cable to our PC wasn't pushed all the way into our new TekSavvy cable modem, so pushed it in until we heard a click. After we did a few spread-out power offs/reboots of the cable modem and then the router, all was well and the TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro service began working perfectly!

On the day of activation, our speedtest result was: 14.3m/987 over wi-fi using my laptop, which is extremely close to the advertised maximum speed.

I suggest you do your online application with TekSavvy 14 days in advance to ensure you can select the day/time you desire, even though their website says 7 business days currently. 14 days should ensure you'll get the activation day/time you want like we did.

Best of all was never having to even once call TekSavvy for technical support during the entire process. I love it when things are seamless like that.

I will update this review in a month once we see how stable the service is. So far I have zero complaints, and it's great to have slightly faster service and no download cap now. Plus, I enjoy supporting an "indie" ISP with Canadian customer service staff (not that we've needed them...).

Comments:

Review by Zed071 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Easy install and runs faster than a scalded dog."
Bad "Still has to use Robbers Cable for the last mile."
Overall "As good as it gets as a new install with and indy ISP"

·Start Communicat..
What can I say?

It does what it says on the tin (website). Fast and cheap with a cap I'll never hit.

I think going as a new install with no other services from Robbers probably made mine a lot easier than converting from existing cable as Robbers does not want to give up its customers easily.

If you have a need for speed and can do it as a new install, it's cheap and cheerful.

IMHO, there's no better value for the money in this area.

member for 4.1 years, 1294 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: H2R2L
Good "Amazing reliability and speed."
Bad "Takes a long time to connect due to Videotron's awful ethics."
Overall "Totally worth it, if you're hesitant don't wait a minute longer."

I was a former, very disgruntled Videotron customer. I decided for the first
time to switch to a smaller company, and chose Teksavvy after asking for
recommendations online.

First things first. The price is a bit higher on my review because I'm located in Montreal, and the major service providers in Quebec are ridiculously pricey so Teksavvy has to deal with that. If you're in another province it should be way cheaper so it's worth looking into their local deals.

It took a long time to get connected, but this is partly my fault as I
called them rather late. The Videotron technicians are the ones who come
connect the line and I suspect they take their time on purpose in order to
give Teksavvy a bad image. They never came on the date that was agreed upon,
leading to me staying at home all day for no reason. I had to call Teksavvy
back a number of times in order to get a second date and to confirm it.
Nobody called me back to confirm, I had to contact them myself. A couple
weeks later I had a connexion.

However!!!!!! Now that I am connected I am as happy as a clam. The speed is
incredible (I'm currently downloading at 840 kb/s and I didn't even get the
fastest connexion they offer because I'm not in the right area). I never get
service interruption. There are no downtimes when the connexion is slower.
Everything is peachy and great.

If you're thinking of switching but are unsure, do it, it's absolutely worth
it.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by ProphLondon See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Stable, as advertised speed if not a bit faster, cheap as heck!"
Overall "Best choice for normal people with a brain in their head."

I picked their 3M Cable plan as while I download a decent amount, stream videos from Netflix, download games via Steam and such I do not intend to live and die in front of my PC.

I thought the upload would be rough at only 256k, but it seems to be just fine for online gaming and Skype (voice) works great. I find I can download large files at a respectable speed and watch HD Netflix without hiccups (just not at the same time )

Never had to call for technical support so can't give that a rating, but with most support systems I'm sure quality depends on the time of day.

In the ~2 months I have had Teksavvy Cable the uplink has died once for an entire Sunday afternoon, found out that Rogers was doing some work and everyone in my apartment complex had lost their Rogers TV so can't really blame Teksavvy for that. Although, I wish warning could be forwarded from Rogers -> Tek -> Customer in those instances.

Comments:

Review by mitchsomes

• Location: N2E
Good "Fantastic speed and ping times. Cheap, high cap"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "If you were thinking of switching from Rogers Cable, DO IT!"

Great ISP. I cancelled Rogers and the day of the cancellation I plugged in my
Teksavvy modem and after about 10 minutes it worked perfectly. I am getting a
constant 1.6-1.7MBps down and speedboost kicks it up past 50Mbps sometimes! just
check out this speedtest.net screenshot:

»speedtest.net/result/1406670073.png

Zero throttling thus far, just pure internet the way it is meant to be. I am on
the 15Mbps 300GB plan and it costs less than what I paid for 95GB and 10Mbps at
Rogers. I don't normally sign up do do reviews like this but this first day alone has blown me away. I haven't used tech support yet which is why I only rated it in the middle.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.ca)

Comments:

Review by sm00nie See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Service is exactly as described"
Bad "Nothing as of yet"
Overall "Absolutely excellent service for the cost"

I ordered Teksavvy internet a week before I moved out with a helpful rep over the phone (took about 10 minutes max). They told me it would take 7 days to get a rep out and service activated, which was fine as I would not be in my new apartment earlier. They offered to sell me a modem, but I had already purchased a sb6120. The rep came on the assigned date and within 10 minutes he was all done and said the service would be up within the hour. I was not at home for the rest of the day, but the next morning everything was working fine.

I ran a speedtest and then a sustained download to confirm the speed and I received exactly what I paid for, 15mbps down and 1mbps up (300gb allotted bandwidth) for $42.95. It's been a month and I have had one outage, but that was not Teksavvy's fault and it was caused by a construction crew accidentally cutting lines (major outage in midtown Toronto). Otherwise, there have been absolutely no issues.

The speed has been consistent and there were no surprises with the billing.

The installation went flawless and the service has been excellent for the one month period.

Comments:

Review by Stefan1975 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good Price for unlimited account"
Bad "Right now a little on the slow side"
Overall "Best deal in Canada in my opinion. I am totally satisfied with TekSavvy"

I had used Rogers for years (Ultimate package). However it was severely capped and cost to much. When I switch to TekSavvy their was no installation needed (because I was switching from Rogers) and on the day I switched I just plugged in my new modem from Teksavvy and it works.

Teksavvy was upfront about all fees and costs on the phone. No contract. You need to buy a new modem and pay the setup fee including the first month. This came to about 200 dollars. Worth the price for switching though because now I pay 63 dollars(Rogers was 99 dollars severely capped) for unlimited bandwidth. I currently have the fastest speed on TekSavvy's cable which is 15mps. It is a little slow. However for me I don't mind because unlimited bandwidth is more important to me then speed because I download hundreds of gigs per month.

The connection is reliable. Only had 2 times when I was disconnected from the internet. Both times for less then 5 minutes.

I recommend Canadians to switch to TekSavvy. I am Totally satisfied. Oh one more thing they are upgrading to faster accounts right now up to 24mbps I hear soon.

My order took 30 days to complete because Rogers made me give 30 days notice. I have heard that they can set your internet up in as little a 1 week maybe even sooner.

Comments:

Review by corster See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Faster than DSL, Fair Usage Caps, No money to Bell"
Bad "Rogers is still new to the wholesale game"
Overall "TekSavvy Cable is the best bang for your buck"

I ordered TekSavvy Express Cable (10/512) and had it up and running within a week of my order.

Had a couple of issues coordinating the install between TekSavvy and Rogers (through no fault of TekSavvy), but we eventually got it all sorted out. Rogers came to my apartment, tested signal strength, tagged my line TPIA, and the service began to work shortly thereafter.

I purchased the DCM425 modem from TekSavvy for $75, minus the $20 activation credit. It works well for the service i'm using, and I don't have any complaints, but if I were to do it all over again, I would likely spend a little bit more money for a DOCSIS 3 modem, to ensure compatibility with future speed increase - Rogers is already refusing to upgrade speeds for DOCSIS 2 customers, but this policy has not yet been carried over to TekSavvy.

Rogers is still fairly new to wholesale, so TekSavvy representatives do not have the diagnostic tools available to them that they would have with DSL. This means that it can be slightly difficult to have issues resolved, so make sure you're patient. Apparently Rogers is working with their wholesale clients to create tools for wholesalers to use for technical support, modem changes, etc, so once that it done, things should get alot better on the Cable front.

The service has been fairly reliable, consistent speeds, and much faster than my old Bell DSL line. If TekSavvy Cable is available in your area, it's the best bang for your buck.

member for 12.6 years, 5364 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daletkine See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, knowledgeable pre-sales, great value"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "I'd say, possibly the best internet provider in Canada"

I ordered TekSavvy 15Mb package the same day that I cancelled my Rogers internet. I got fed up with Rogers charging $50 every single month for additional bandwidth.
To cancel Rogers, I had to wait 30 days, so TekSavvy scheduled connection on the same day of Roger's disconnecting. So, when time came, my Rogers modem stopped getting connection. I plugged in my TekSavvy-ready modem and It connected in about 5 minutes. One word: Effortless.
Had it only a few days so far, so this is more of a preview. I'll write another review a few months down the road.
I bought my modem at TigerDirect.ca, where the TekSavvy reps pointed me to. It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6120 Cable Modem.

Speed.
So, on a 15Mb plan, I achieved 22Mbps download speed on Speedtest.net and over 18Mbps on testmy.net.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1386995881.png
»testmy.net/W3COa0k.png
»testmy.net/0pExyWq.png
So, the speed is above what's advertised. That's great. Ping is also very low - and I play a lot of video games. Just FYI, my Rogers was 10Mb plan and all I got out of it was 5Mbps, probably thanks to their crappy modem.
»testmy.net/5FzadKC.png
That's the advantage of having your own modem. TekSavvy uses Rogers network, so speeds should be identical between them, with a good modem. I'm very happy so far!
The big advantage of TekSavvy is the great value of the packages. $45 is not exactly dirt cheap, but I get fast speed and 300GB download limit, which is enough for my 3 computers in household. Great value!
Finally, support was very helpful. They told me where to get the modem, there is a list of modems available on TekSavvy page, they answered all my questions and seemed knowledgeable.
Overall, I'm extremely happy so far - no delays, a perfect switch; fast speeds and excellent value. We'll see how it goes.