TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Very fast, works great!"
Bad "None yet, will udpate in future"
Overall "Better price, sensible caps (or unlimited), what are you waiting for?"

·TekSavvy DSL
[1 day review]
Went live yesterday morning. The Rogers service was still working at 8am, but decided to plug in the SB6120 and try it. It worked right away without issues. Instantly noticed the significantly faster speeds (was on Express 10/0.5 previously)

Speed tests last night were hovering around 23Mbps, and sustained download speeds were hovering around 2.8-3.0 MB/s. So it seems I'm on the new 24Mbps profile, which is a nice surprise!

So far I've downloaded 10GB in queued up Steam and PSN games, completely guilt free. It's a wonderful feeling being able to use the internet without constantly worrying about the usage caps.

More updates to come!

Comments:

Review by technocar2 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, no throttling, low ping, large cap, excellent price ... what more do you want!"
Bad "none so far....I hope it stays that way"
Overall "Just all round awesome ISP that provides great service."

I signed up for the Extreme Cable and the order/installation was perfect. Tech showed up early morning on installation date; I showed him my modem's signal and he went into his truck and provisioned my modem and I was up and running. All this was done under 10 mins and he was on his way to the next work order.

I get very nice speeds, even during peak hours, I can max out my connection on torrents both up and down.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1333092399.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Sure 15 mbps can't compete with Robbers 50 mbps but lets not forget Robbers really low caps and excessive throttling. So I'm happy with 15mbps with high cap and no throttling.

I will probably get their unlimited tier as I'm already at 210 GB and I still have two weeks to go on my current billing cycle.

As for Pre Sales information, I feel Teksavvy needs to be more clear on how prepaid billing works as I needed some clarifications in that regard. I contacted them through direct forum and they told me everything I needed to know. Also I'm using a normal SB5101 and when I was ordering online it gave me the option of both the SB5101 and SB5101N but on your supported modem page you only listed SB5101N. So if you know that normal SB5101 works why not list that as well!

Update:
I now have a SB6120 and have gotten the 24 mbps upgrade before many other TSI users, yes I'm a guinea pig

»speedtest.net/result/1460931489.png

»speedtest.net/result/1464968562.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Comments:

Review by kuddles See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service; Reliable speed; Great Price"
Bad "Hefty initial investment may be a turn-off"
Overall "Best decision I ever made, wish I had done it sooner."

I had originally planned on switching to TekSavvy DSL the last time I moved, it turned out my new residence couldn't accept DSL in general. I had been using Rogers ever since then. While I didn't have any major issues with Rogers (unlike the numerous problems with Bell), the low caps and punitive fees for exceeding them were growing tiresome. When TekSavvy Cable became available in my area, I immediately decided to give it a try.

I chose the Extreme package as while I'm a heavy user 300 GB a month is still more than enough for my needs. The transfer from Rogers went smoothly. On the day of the change I came home from work and plugged in the new modem (which arrived mere days after my original order went through) and off I went. A minor gripe was that I initially had some issues with streaming content, but a couple reboots of the modem later and something seemed to "click". The connection has been completely consistent ever since. Downloading files, streaming content like Netflix and internet browsing have all been fast and reliable.

Customer service has been superior to any telecom I've ever dealt with, bar none. I have needed to call them 3 times, and all 3 times the experience was identical. I was on hold for less than two minutes, and then was assisted by someone who was extremely polite, quick and had no issues answering any of my enquiries.

The one negative I can think of is the upfront cost you need to make. As you currently cannot rent the modem from TekSavvy Cable, the initial cost including activation fee, modem purchase and first month of service made me hesitate for a second. But that hesitation disappeared since I already heard so many positive things about them. If I was a less tech-savvy (pun not intended) and more casual consumer, then such a pricey investment from a company you never heard of before may be a deterrent. Of course, over the long haul it is more than worth it, as my bill is 25-30% cheaper than it used to be under Rogers, and even then it's not taking into account how my Rogers bill sometimes had large overage fees because I dared to rent one HD movie too many that month.

Comments:

Review by Neozonz See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent Plans"
Bad "Update: Once congestion hits your connection will go at 20% of the advertised speeds."
Overall "Update: If you don't care about reliability and want to save money, Teksavvy will do it for you."

I had continuous problems with rogers.

I switched to TekSavvy and all my problems were solved- oh and at half the price with better speeds.
__________________________________________
Update:
I get a connection speed of 2-4mbits due to POI congestion. Teksavvy has said they would upgrade and fix the situation end of March, It's been a month and the issue is as of yet unresolved.

Not a happy customer.
___________________________________________
Update:

I moved to Don Mills and Eglinton and I'm speeding along at 30mbits.
My old house however at York university is still suffering though...

It was probably really congestion in that area because all the students living there, but now I'm speeding along great!

Comments:

Review by Nemo888 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rogers with NO THROTTLING or 50$+ overage charge every month."
Bad "If you eat a monopolists lunch they may try to destroy you/"
Overall "Great value, the owner fights monopolists and cares about his customers."

Great speed. No throttling. Great price. I don't have to deal with Rogers. Went from 109$ a month to 47 with faster, more reliable internet.

Comments:

Review by resa1983 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "Rogers likes to screw with Teksavvy"
Overall "Definitely worth it"

Feb 14 2011: Called and cancelled my Rogers (stupid 30 days!)
Mar 14 2011: Plugged in my new modem, and it worked right off the bat.

Unfortunately, my internet connection was slow during prime time due to Rogers' incompetence in not being able to do upgrades (and not wanting to contact the vendor for assistance when they couldn't figure it out!), however by May they finally contacted the vendor, and within a week things were finally fixed.

Another issue popped up in June where Rogers 'forgot' to upgrade some routers, so they were maxing out - was remedied fairly quickly once Teksavvy could prove it wasn't their problem, but was a Rogers issue.

Teksavvy service is awesome. Its just sad that they have no choice but to let Rogers screw with them and their business.

I'm paying less for better service, a faster connection, and better caps. Whats not to love.

member for 6.8 years, 1951 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by whitehorn See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Best customer service"

Best customer service

Comments:

Review by muqmeqe See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
Good "x2 speed and 5x the Gigs for the same price as Shaw"
Bad "Quality of customer service by phone patchy - Use Teksavvy direct forum"
Overall "If they stay on top of speed issues as they expand, great alternative"

Aug 2011 update - stability has been good. Thanks TSI

Briefly, here's the timeline for my installation:

March 21
- Called Teksavvy to sign up. They said to call Shaw and get a cancellation date

- Called Shaw can got a 10 biz day cancellation date since I owned the modem (April 4th)

- Called Teksavvy and provided cancellation date. I had a Motorola SB5101, but TekSavvy says Shaw is only allowing Teksavvy to provision Motorola SB5102s. Order one from Teksavvy for $75, figuring it will pay itself off in 5 months. Rep says I should receive an order confirmation email in the next few days, and then another notice 48 hours before the transfer. They say no Shaw tech need be on site.

March 24
- Received email confirming order. There was an error, saying I wasn't keeping Shaw TV, which I was. Called to call centre, and they said they would update the order and notify Shaw, and that a tech would need to be sent out to install a filter. (NOTE: This turned out not to be true.)

March 27
- Received and email saying new Motorola SB 5102 modem was shipped on the 25th via Canada Post - tracking number included.

March 29
- Modem arrived.

April 3
- Should have received the 48hr notice of installation yesterday, so I call customer service. Confirm install for tomorrow, no explanation as to why no notice. Also say that a Shaw tech will NOT be required on site. Simply wait for the Shaw modem to wink out, then swap with Teksavvy modem.

April 4
- Shaw modem does not go down so at 2200hrs I switched to Teksavvy modem, and it works. INSTALL COMPLETE.

- Run speed tests on Shaw "High Speed" service before switching and get 8.5Mbps/490kbps to San Fran and L.A. before switching. After switch to "Teksavvy Pro", re-run tests and get 1Mpbs/1Mbps. Yikes! Call Customer Service and they say that there might be an issue with Metro Vancouver customers, especially in the evening. Would have been nice to know at order time. No ETA to resolution. Understand this all part of know issue described here:

»[Cable] Ethernet Card upgrade in Vancouver?

Will update this review once I see what the speed is after the GigE card upgrade.

Other items of note:
-I signed up for the $5 domain hosting package, and I feel like I'm the first customer ever provisioned. Still a week an not all issues resolved (DNS working, webmail setup, multiple login sessions allowed, SMTP settings). Will post a separate forum note, as this is offered by Teksavvy business solutions and was independent of my cable internet.

--UPDATE April 14
GigE card installed for Metro Vancouver and speeds both ways are as they should be. Hope Teksavvy can stay ahead of the curve. Hosting issues resolved as well.

Comments:

Review by chaoticessence

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "High quality service (both product and customer service)"
Bad "Being a wholesale provider can mean switching can be a hassle"
Overall "Great product, great price... Overall - recommend!"

Switched from Rogers Cable to Tek. Transfer went smoothly, and, after switching, costs went down from around 70-80 (with overage charges) with Rogers, to about 41 after tax with Tek... for the same speed and a better gig cap!

Also, despite the many horror stories, I've had an extremely favourable experience switching: customer service rep was both thorough and extremely helpful - and required no escalation or transfer to an "activation specialist", the modem was shipped as promised, service started exactly as described, and there has since been no issues with either Rogers cutting the line (as per many a forum pust), nor any unannounced Tek issues. Overall, I'd strongly recommend them, for just about any type of user!

(review was emailed from domain hotmail.com)

Comments:

Review by motoraway See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Service works as advertised. Connection up time is good."
Bad "Customer service cannot complete changes of service correctly."
Overall "Service is good and works, as long as you're not making a change."

Our household has been a customer of Teksavvy for 3 years now. We've watched Teksavvy grow into what it is today.

Our original switch from Sympatico DSL service to Teksavvy was painless and simple. We placed the order and the connection switch happened while at work without us noticing. We switched to the MLPPP product once available without any issue at all. No calls to support as our connection always worked and if it was down, it would only be moments.

The problems with have encountered with Teksavvy have been both times we've had change in services. The first time we changed home phone companies, which we notified Teksavvy of a month in advance, what after several calls was our DSL disconnected 5 days early and being without internet access for 10+ days. We were offered a pro-rated discount for all the troubles, but it was never applied. Our second issue arrived recently when we notified Teksavvy 27 days in advance that we would be moving and switching from our DSL at our current location to cable when we moved into our new home a month later. I called them to inform them they were shipping our modem to our new home, not our current address. They corrected the information, however they didnt correct the problem as it was sent to our new address, which we can't access. Tech supports options will leave us without a new modem at our new location for over a week. I will be attempting to correct the situation with a manager and will update this review accordingly.

Overall the service is good as long as you don't have to make any changes to your service.