TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by daletkine See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast, knowledgeable pre-sales, great value"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "I'd say, possibly the best internet provider in Canada"

I ordered TekSavvy 15Mb package the same day that I cancelled my Rogers internet. I got fed up with Rogers charging $50 every single month for additional bandwidth.
To cancel Rogers, I had to wait 30 days, so TekSavvy scheduled connection on the same day of Roger's disconnecting. So, when time came, my Rogers modem stopped getting connection. I plugged in my TekSavvy-ready modem and It connected in about 5 minutes. One word: Effortless.
Had it only a few days so far, so this is more of a preview. I'll write another review a few months down the road.
I bought my modem at TigerDirect.ca, where the TekSavvy reps pointed me to. It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6120 Cable Modem.

Speed.
So, on a 15Mb plan, I achieved 22Mbps download speed on Speedtest.net and over 18Mbps on testmy.net.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1386995881.png
»testmy.net/W3COa0k.png
»testmy.net/0pExyWq.png
So, the speed is above what's advertised. That's great. Ping is also very low - and I play a lot of video games. Just FYI, my Rogers was 10Mb plan and all I got out of it was 5Mbps, probably thanks to their crappy modem.
»testmy.net/5FzadKC.png
That's the advantage of having your own modem. TekSavvy uses Rogers network, so speeds should be identical between them, with a good modem. I'm very happy so far!
The big advantage of TekSavvy is the great value of the packages. $45 is not exactly dirt cheap, but I get fast speed and 300GB download limit, which is enough for my 3 computers in household. Great value!
Finally, support was very helpful. They told me where to get the modem, there is a list of modems available on TekSavvy page, they answered all my questions and seemed knowledgeable.
Overall, I'm extremely happy so far - no delays, a perfect switch; fast speeds and excellent value. We'll see how it goes.

Comments:

Review by Deaks2 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "As expected from TSI, no issues!"
Bad "Nil"

Package: TPIA 15Mbps/1Mbps

Once TPIA providers came online in our area we quickly pulled the plug on our Rogers Internet service and signed up for TSI. I already knew the Rogers infrastructure in the area was solid, and I maintained Rogers TV, therefore avoiding any possible installation issues.

The connection always delivers its advertised speeds, the Speedboost feature is nice for the first 100 MB of each transfer, and unlike Rogers there is no throttling of VPN or torrents. Also, the DNS lookup delays I had experienced with Rogers are gone.

member for 6.8 years, 676 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by travyb See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Price, speed, 300gb cap."
Bad "the dont offer cable tv?"
Overall "cant beat it"

15/1 cable, 300gb cap $43/mth. speeds are within target and normally slightly higher. Very helpful sales rep when ordered. very friendly and helpful. Every question was answered right away. no run around. Switched from rogers who was charging a fortune and who's staff and field techs are clueless. would rather gouge my eyes out than to deal with rogers or bell ever again.

member for 3.3 years, 19 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Aldagr8 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "The Rates, speeds offered and Bandwidth limits"
Bad "Slower speeds due to Rogers Server upgrades"
Overall "Overall once everything is normal, Speeds are Excellent"

I am happy with my Cable 15/1 service with 300 gb limit/mth. I will definitely upgrade to unlimited if i think 300 is not enough or the Exciting rumours of higher speeds on the way.

Inititally i faced some issues with setup speeds and constant disconnections. But overall the speed is fine now. It's sluggish towards late evenings near the Yonge/Sheppard and I am being routed to the Greensboro POI. As the servers are being upgraded, I am definitely excited about stable speeds in the near future.

Yesterday i had speeds of over 2 MB/s in the evening around 6 pm which was AWESOME . I have the DCM 475 which is running these speeds smoothly enough for the time being .

Used new DNS settings from google benchmark tool which might help other users if they are having connectivity issues to some sites. Here's the link from another helpful user: »code.google.com/p/namebench/

I got my service activated on June 30, 2011. Just initial Setup issues. Not blamed on Teksavvy but on Rogers Server upgrades.

Experience with the support staff?
They called me up the very next day at 10 in the morning eventhough it was holiday and routed me to tech who briefed me on some Modem dignostics page info. Very helpful and informative.

Comments:

Review by Leachman See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Friendly people, solid connection, call-backs!"
Bad "Some internal communication issues, soem patience require dif you encounter issues"
Overall "Solid vlaue, customer-centric service, no caps!"

I tried both 2-link MLPPP and cable for 1-2 months to test. I use my own VoIP for telephone service, and stream/download concnte exclusively for television and movie watching. Being able to stream HD, make a call and download content at the same time without issues was very important for me. I was gald to find the cable stable and quick. I dropped the DSL service and have been very happy with my Teksavvy cable service. I now surf, download and stream without worry about a data caps or service degredation.

Comments:

Good "grate speed reliable 300GB cap"
Bad "none"

thank you teksavvy. order went grate installation 1 day late as Rogers did not come on time, but it got connected 20 min. it was up and ruining no trouble

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by Giggity See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "Knowledgable Staff, Inexpensive/Stable/Unthrottled Connections, Unlimited Bandwidth"
Bad "NA"
Overall "If you want an ISP that honestly cares about their reputation, as well as your quality of service, look no further than Teksavvy"

I have been with TSI since May 9, 2011. I subscribe to the 15/1 Unlimited plan. By my router statistics, I estimate that our family downloads about 500GB, and uploads about 300GB per month. If anyone is wondering if the "unlimited" concept is actually real, without overages... It is very much real. I was paying Robbers $70 per month for service which was so badly throttled, I could barely surf the 'net or play World of Warcraft. Thank You Teksavvy!

Comments:

Review by ExpFist See Profile

Good "NO CAPS, Excellent and Consistant Speed, Zero Throttling, Great Uptime"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If you can get it, you'd be stupid not to switch"

I usually don't bother to write online reviews (except perhaps when the service or product is crap), but for the first time in a while I've felt that the service I've received deserves a positive review.

I am from Mississauga, and switched to Teksavvy the moment cable was available in my area. DSL from Bell is terrible, so I opted to wait for cable to be made available before making the switch from Rogers after 15 years. The Rogers cable network is great, but their Internet service is terrible. This is where Teksavvy has come in.

I bought a new modem and setup the installation on the date of cancellation from Rogers. The day of, my Rogers connection was active and working, I swapped the modems, and my Teksavvy was now active. This was far more seamless of a switch than I had hoped for. For those reading this review considering switching, I highly recommend that you obtain a new if switching to Teksavvy if you are looking for a seamless, outage free switch.

Speed has been excellent and consistent. My actual (non speedtest) downloads are always between 15Mbps and 16Mbps (not including the initial speed boost), and I have not noticed any periods where the connection slows down. Unlike with Rogers, my latency is not increased (ICMP) while downloading, Teksavvy does not inject wildcards into their DNS, and no traffic shaping of any kind is in place. Just raw, un$%@ed with Internet. This reminds me of the days when I first got Rogers back when they first offered cable Internet, minus the frequent re-synching and outages, and at a far greater speed. Within the first day of using the service, I felt an unexpected feeling of freedom when using the Internet.

I have read others complaining about issues Teksavvy has had providing verbal (phone) support. I can not speak to this, since with Presales I used their web-site and the Teksavvy direct forums for any questions (which were promptly answered), and I've never had any issues that required me to phone them. To me this is an additional plus, as the old saying goes - "The best Administrator is the administrator no one knows exists, because they have no problems to report".

I am concerned Teksavvy will start to go downhill as their customer numbers increase, but I have personally not seen any signs of this yet, and have convinced a number of local friends to switch. I am very selective about the companies I recommend to friends. The fact that Teksavvy has been on the front lines of the UBB opposition is an added bonus, as I am pleased that I can put my financial backing to a company that supports and fights for an open unmetered Internet. I no longer have any Rogers/Bell services in my home.

To TekSavvy: Keep up the good work as you have been, and like Rogers once had, you'll have a loyal customer for decades.

Comments:

Review by mulambo187 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent internet connection at a great price!"
Bad "No cons, plenty fast, stable connection."
Overall "If available in your area, go for it!!!!"

I switched over from Rogers Cable after over a year of bondage, mediocre customer service and extortionate prices. Very happy with the move, my Rogers connection was OK. I was worried there would be some degradation but when the switch over to Teksavvy finally happend, it literally blew Rogers out of the water. My game pings are great, my downloads and uploads are great, my VOIP line is running crystal clear and everything seems consistent throughout the day, I am very happy with the service.

Comments:

Review by DarkStar33 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Price, Reliability and Performance"
Bad "Occasional Growing Pains"
Overall "Best ISP Option in Canada"

We migrated from TekSavvy DSL to TekSavvy Cable about a year ago and have been blown away by the results. Zero throttling, no caps and excellent speeds up/down at all times of the day.

Stability has been excellent aside from a few issues while Rogers resolve issues outside of TekSavvys control. Performance was downgraded but was never disconnected or unreliable.

The cable packages represents the best value for your money if you can get it.