TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by TFArchive See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Much faster than DSL"
Bad "Occasional slowdowns during peak"
Overall "If you can get it, don't hesitate, these guys will take care of you."

I've been a Teksavvy DSL user for 4+ years with no complaints that weren't related to Bell outages. I have been waiting since Teksavvy offered Cable in Toronto in 2010 for it to come to Ottawa and in May my waiting paid off. Service was ordered mid may and on the 21st the tech hooked everything up and a couple hours later my modem was activated.

Speeds have been excellent, the first week or so I had problems getting the full 15mbit during prime time but it appears to have been a temporary issue as this last week as been great.

If you are on DSL and want something faster, cable is the answer, check teksavvy's site to check if you can receive service.

I'm using the Motorola 6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that is recommended by users in the forums here and it is working rock stable.

member for 11.2 years, 2375 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by redrain85 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Monthly price (with no contracts), Speed, Generous caps, Useful and friendly tech support (in my experience)"
Bad "Up front cost (modem purchase and first month in advance)"
Overall "TekSavvy seems to actually value their customers, there's no reason to put up with Bell or Rogers"

I've had TekSavvy Extreme Cable for a week now, and so far I'm not disappointed. I haven't experienced any disconnects or reliability issues. Speeds seem to remain consistent, no matter the time of day. Always 15mbps down (or more due to Speedboost), 1mbps up, and latency is steady. This could change if the POI I'm on or the local node becomes congested, but for now it's all good. Hopefully, TekSavvy will stop taking sign-ups when they know the POI is reaching its limit, until they can do the necessary upgrades. Which they have done in the past.

So far, the tech and sales support both on the phone and in the direct forum have been excellent. My only minor beef is that the installation appointment was never actually confirmed with me. I had to call to ensure the visit date had been approved by Rogers. Also, the tech who did the installation showed up at the last minute in the time window chosen and didn't call before showing. I know the latter is something that is more or less out of TekSavvy's hands, but it's why I can't give them a perfect score.

Unfortunately, the tech discovered the cable line was damaged and had to drop a temporary one. Now it's a waiting game to see when Rogers sends a crew to replace it with a permanent line and bury it. It's possible a permanent line might slightly improve the error rate I'm seeing in the modem stats, as well as perhaps lowering latency just a little. Or, the connection could actually become worse (doubtful).

I'll update this review as time goes on, and once the temp line has been replaced.

Comments:

Review by spartan002 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "great speed and cap with perfect pricing"
Bad "none"
Overall "if you have dsl internet you should switch to teksavvy cable for faster experience"

·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
·Mobilicity
i placed the ordered about a week ago, with sales rep detailing me on everything. You will need to purchase your own modem to use this service. teksavvy took $20 of from the activation fee for buying a modem from them. As stated by the sales rep, Rogers’s technician came to install my cable service. He quickly installed the cable and left. After attaching my modem I had to wait about 3-4hrs before my modem got provisioned. Once provisioned i could get 15mb thanks to speed boost. i recommend this service who is looking for a fast internet with correct pricing.

Comments:

Review by snickfiberal See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Very Good"
Bad "Charges for Moving and troublshooting"
Overall "Will go for TS anytime."

I just got TS when moved to new house in Scarborough.
Its not bad at all.
Everything from online ordering, Installation went smooth.
Not much of download person. Just browsing/e-mail stuff.

So far so good.

Comments:

Review by bbhog See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Switch from DSL to Cable was flawless."
Bad "Upfront Costs of $160. Speed can slow to 5 Mbit/s during peak times"
Overall "Great service, great product!"

I've been with Teksavvy for over 2 years. Over that time I've been using their dry loop DSL service and I have been really impressed. Their customer support and Tech help have been great. Wait times on the phone are minimal. No automated menu system to tinker with.

I just made the switch from Dry Loop DSL to Express Cable. I don't quite understand the Extreme package and I don't recommend it. Paying $6 more for 512Kb/s upload doesn't make sense to me, but if uploading is important to you then you may need it.

Unfortunately the start-up costs are high and if you don't know Teksavvy you may shy away from their service. You have to invest in a cable modem plus their activation fee, and you are paying for the month's service upfront. That totals $166 with HST. With the history I've had I was confident in making the switch. My decision was also helped that the monthly charges for cable, getting double the speed, is actually CHEAPER than the DSL (with dry loop).

I had coordinated an install time with Teksavvy and the Rogers Tech showed up early for the installation and it was done quickly and easily. Although he was really trying to rush me and almost left before I could get him to staple in some loose cables. Good ol' Rogers!

Since installed the speed has been great but not perfect. I'm getting an average of 1230 KB/s. That translates to 9.6Mbit/s, so almost up to the max 10Mbit/s advertised.

However during peak hours I'm only getting around 5-7Mbit/s, so hopefully they increase the nodes in my area sooner than later.

So far I'm satisfied with the switch over, getting double the speed for essentially the same price. I would recommend anyone on Rogers that downloads over their bandwidth caps to come to Teksavvy, they will not regret it!

UPDATE: MAY 25TH 2011

A year later and I am very happy. I upgraded to Extreme about 6 months ago for an extra $6 and it was well worth it. The peak hour issues I mentioned before weren't an issue for long. However over the last 4 months there have been some peak hour issues popping up again. I am not really bothered by them though as speeds are still good.

member for 3.7 years, 1186 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Xuhum See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Cheap, Reliable, Fast, Friendly Support, Transparent"
Bad "Order Form, Dragged by Ball and Chain of Rogers"
Overall "Well worth my money, will continue to do service with Teksavvy!"

It's been a week since my Cable Internet got activated. Had 2 downtime's at 2-3am, I highly suspect being Rogers' fault, trust me. Am getting the full 15/1 speeds as advertised. Installation went ok by Rogers contractor.

Love that Teksavvy is very transparent when it comes to technical details such as their POI link speeds, and if a POI is becoming congested [which they promised to cancel new orders if it does ] and if there is downtime someone from Teksavvy is sure to post it here. Even the Teksavvy CEO posts here from time to time to keep us updated!

I think they could improve on the Order Form very much, it's been the same style for years. Every major and small website in this century has modern order forms. I believe Teksavvy could get a freelancer or someone to create a new one, or just add order steps and click next to go to the next step, not do it all at once like it is now.

(ex. 1 - Choose Package /w detailed Information, 2 - Customer Information & Create MYWorld Account, 3 - Billing, 4 - Order Confirmation, 5 - Redirect to new MYWorld Account)

Aside from the order form and website Teksavvy is definitely a good bang for your buck and I would recommend them any day.

Comments:

Review by BGB See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Install went smoothly"
Bad "None at this point in time"
Overall "When things go smoothly it works well"

Unlike some of the reviews out there, my install went smoothly. The day I discovered it was available in my area, and i confirmed it was not a error in the postal code db by a TekSavvy Employe, I registered for the service. Several days later, I received my SB 6120 modem, and my installation date. The Rogers tech came during the time slot registered, and had me up and running in under 10 mins. Other than the order confirmation and the installation date, I did not get any other communication from TekSavvy. The service has been running smoothly since the install, with me getting full speed (15 mbit + speedboost) not only during off peak hours, but during peak hours as well. And a Bonus, I now have unlimited bandwidth and can get Bell out of my life forever.

member for 4.7 years, 1719 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pgfox46 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "no contract 300GB cap"
Bad "montly contract starts on order place not servece start"
Overall "It has been excellent for me"

Bell requires you to rent there modem and it has low caps. Rogers change my 1998 contract for internet with out my permission ( a mistake they say) and can not undo the problem as i would have 800 up 8mb down and unlimited internet, so for that they lost my $220 tv and internet package.
TekSavvy gave me the only real alternative good price same speed as bell and way better cap and no contract. I never had any long interruption of service, tech support has always been great, and my transition from dsl to TekSavvy cable went as plans, speed is grate, service is reliable, and i can honestly say that it will not promise the word but it delivers if they can.

pgfox46

Comments:

Review by ProfXtra See Profile

• Location: Maple,ON
Good "Speed, lots of it. Great value. No contracts"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "It took a while to get to my area, but it was worth it."

After waiting almost a year for Teksavvy Cable to come to my area, I jumped at the first hint that my area had service. There was some doubt expressed in the forum here about whether my order would go through, but all I can say is that everything went perfectly.

I called in my order, received the modem in a couple of days, and the Rogers tech showed up 15mins earlier than the start of the window. He took about 20mins to run a new line into my house and was very professional the whole time. After about 45mins, my service was provisioned and I was online. No fuss, no hiccups. A speedtest showed 33 mbps down and .99 mbps up on the Extreme package. 9 or 10 msec ping times. Speedboost works just fine. I haven't run into any congestion or slow speeds, even at peak times. Haven't noticed any throttling.

Highly recommended if it is available in your area.

Comments:

Review by Ikarasu See Profile

• Location: Port Coquitlam,BC
Good "Unlimited, Run by a company with goals of expanding internet, not their wallets."
Bad "Not the fastest speeds."
Overall "Worth the switch, Great ISP and great people who run it."

Onlything to complain about really is the installation, which is out of Teksavvys jurisdiction.

I was at work, so my cousin was at home waiting for the installer... they showed up at the last minute of the 4 hour timeframe (Thats ok, wasn't really waiting), when they got here they said they couldn't hook up the internet because someone spliced my Satellite dish into the wiring inside of one of the walls in my house, and they don't know where it was, so a whole new wire would have to be put in, and it would cost $50...

Good thing my cousin called to confirm this with me, because I'm the one who installed the satellite dish... A wire runs from the dish, into the cable box, and connects to my inside wiring from there. No splicing, no splitters even, nothing... I don't know if the guy was incompetent, or just after some quick cash. After arguing with him on the phone for 10 minutes that theres no splice... he decided to check the box again, and magically found that one of the wires led to my room and just needed to be re-plugged back into the shaw cable.

Other than that... Webpages load instantly, faster than my DSL does. On my 25/M Telus connection I got 2.4 MB down, On Teksavvy it fluctuates... from 1.5 MB to 2.0 MB. The woes of cable I guess.

Well worth the switch though, I'm not with a great company that values what their userbase thinks, and hopefully what little money they make off me, will help them fight for net neutrality.

member for 10.2 years, 2350 visits, last login: 121 days ago