TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ExpFist See Profile

Good "NO CAPS, Excellent and Consistant Speed, Zero Throttling, Great Uptime"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If you can get it, you'd be stupid not to switch"

I usually don't bother to write online reviews (except perhaps when the service or product is crap), but for the first time in a while I've felt that the service I've received deserves a positive review.

I am from Mississauga, and switched to Teksavvy the moment cable was available in my area. DSL from Bell is terrible, so I opted to wait for cable to be made available before making the switch from Rogers after 15 years. The Rogers cable network is great, but their Internet service is terrible. This is where Teksavvy has come in.

I bought a new modem and setup the installation on the date of cancellation from Rogers. The day of, my Rogers connection was active and working, I swapped the modems, and my Teksavvy was now active. This was far more seamless of a switch than I had hoped for. For those reading this review considering switching, I highly recommend that you obtain a new if switching to Teksavvy if you are looking for a seamless, outage free switch.

Speed has been excellent and consistent. My actual (non speedtest) downloads are always between 15Mbps and 16Mbps (not including the initial speed boost), and I have not noticed any periods where the connection slows down. Unlike with Rogers, my latency is not increased (ICMP) while downloading, Teksavvy does not inject wildcards into their DNS, and no traffic shaping of any kind is in place. Just raw, un$%@ed with Internet. This reminds me of the days when I first got Rogers back when they first offered cable Internet, minus the frequent re-synching and outages, and at a far greater speed. Within the first day of using the service, I felt an unexpected feeling of freedom when using the Internet.

I have read others complaining about issues Teksavvy has had providing verbal (phone) support. I can not speak to this, since with Presales I used their web-site and the Teksavvy direct forums for any questions (which were promptly answered), and I've never had any issues that required me to phone them. To me this is an additional plus, as the old saying goes - "The best Administrator is the administrator no one knows exists, because they have no problems to report".

I am concerned Teksavvy will start to go downhill as their customer numbers increase, but I have personally not seen any signs of this yet, and have convinced a number of local friends to switch. I am very selective about the companies I recommend to friends. The fact that Teksavvy has been on the front lines of the UBB opposition is an added bonus, as I am pleased that I can put my financial backing to a company that supports and fights for an open unmetered Internet. I no longer have any Rogers/Bell services in my home.

To TekSavvy: Keep up the good work as you have been, and like Rogers once had, you'll have a loyal customer for decades.

Comments:

Review by mulambo187 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent internet connection at a great price!"
Bad "No cons, plenty fast, stable connection."
Overall "If available in your area, go for it!!!!"

I switched over from Rogers Cable after over a year of bondage, mediocre customer service and extortionate prices. Very happy with the move, my Rogers connection was OK. I was worried there would be some degradation but when the switch over to Teksavvy finally happend, it literally blew Rogers out of the water. My game pings are great, my downloads and uploads are great, my VOIP line is running crystal clear and everything seems consistent throughout the day, I am very happy with the service.

Comments:

Review by DarkStar33 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Price, Reliability and Performance"
Bad "Occasional Growing Pains"
Overall "Best ISP Option in Canada"

We migrated from TekSavvy DSL to TekSavvy Cable about a year ago and have been blown away by the results. Zero throttling, no caps and excellent speeds up/down at all times of the day.

Stability has been excellent aside from a few issues while Rogers resolve issues outside of TekSavvys control. Performance was downgraded but was never disconnected or unreliable.

The cable packages represents the best value for your money if you can get it.

Comments:

Review by greenrosetta See Profile

• Location: Squamish,BC
Good "Well worth switching to."
Bad "nothing bad"
Overall "Good value for $"

Teksavvy cable in BC, From what I had read there was no issues (in BC) with this isp from pre-order to up and running. Well not so, pre-order with sales staff 10/10, tech support when not hooked up on time, lets just say first tech unable to provide connection (2.5/10 tried but failed). Ultimately had to pass my account to a Shaw specialist within Teksavvy tech support 24hrs later, I decided not to wait and called Shaw themselves and inquired what happened to the smooth transition I was promised. The Shaw support team for Teksavvy connections said they had never received an email to hookup my connection, thats 10 days of notice and no heads up? A glitch indeed, so much for planning ahead, my connection for Teksavvy was made by Shaw support team, but I was told that do not call us again for support please call Teksavvy. Ok up and running so time to hook up my netgear wndr3700 router and called Teksavvy support for some insight on this no ip address scenario, to my surprise the tech csr was very unhelpful and interrupted me at least five times through my inquires, not good. There will always be one bad apple in the crowd but thats two failed attempts for tech support, not impressed but I will let it go due to the fact that this connection is presently working better than the Shaw connection I just had disconnected from. To go back to the router, Netgear themselves were unable to assist me in getting it up and running, engineer I spoke with did not have english as a first language and consistently said FINE whenever things did not work, she finally said unable to assist. So searching online I found the following that helped me get the router to function as it should, (How to change the DHCP server subnet of a netgear router-necessary if you have a Nat modem). Well none of that made any sense to my knowledge of internet connections but it worked, If someone cares to explain what that is go for it but I am not an engineer so try laments terms. Oh yeah I am using the motorola sb5102 modem, same modem that Shaw uses in BC. So here we are and my Teksavvy connection works well during non-peak hours, 25mbps down and 2.5mbps up with 300gb cap. I have noticed that during 4pm to midnite the advertised speeds are not what the pro package is but I thought that this would be the case with Shaws saturated or congested infrastructure, still way better than Shaws connection, as for torrents use I have for the first time ever hit 2mbps download speed-WOW!

Comments:

Review by GBerry See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Connection speed, reliability, cost"
Bad "Sale coordination, installation"
Overall "Perfect once install is complete but sales support is currently weak"

While install was fairly prompt, the process could have been accelerated had Teksavvy sales agents properly recorded the information that I gave them.

Information which was given during the sale failed to be placed in my file. Also, information which was required for install was not asked for at that point. Upon receiving a confirmation email I called to rectify the errors so as not to delay my install date. Again the details were not recorded, nor my file updated.

The installation team then called to request this information. Luckily I called to confirm the install date at that point as well as they had sent an email. However, without internet I had no way to receive their confirmation request, nor confirm.

In the end, install was delayed by only 4 days but I couldn't help but feel the whole process could have went smoother.

One month into service and it has been excellent. Speeds were as expected (15mb down / 1mb up) with no noticeable slowdown at all.

Teksavvy is a great company and I expect any problems will be solved promptly by their team as they have been for my DSL connection with them in the past.

member for 3.1 years, 1025 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Theriex See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Customer Service/Tech Support is good but can be hit or miss sometimes. Fast Speeds and Unlimited Usage (On Unlimited Plan)."
Bad "First month pre-billing, activation and modem fee's make the first month very expensive. Invoice due date window is too short."
Overall "They have some minor drawbacks but are still better than Rogers or Bell."

·Start Communicat..
I signed up for Teksavvy Internet as soon as it was available in my area. Frankly, I was tired of Rogers crappy speeds with low caps. I made my order on the 9th or 10th of May and had a scheduled modem provisioning for the 16th. I kept in touch with Teksavvy through the Direct Forums to make sure everything was going smoothly as I was sure that Rogers would screw it up on them some how. During this time, the support staff were extremely helpful and polite. A couple days before my provisioning/activation date the modem came and was held at the post office for me so no one else could take it. On my activation date, I plugged my modem in and my internet was up and running. My speeds have been consistently running at 15Mb down with not slow downs at any time of the day. I've only had one minor service interruption where the modem was offline a couple times for 15 - 20 minutes. This was at about 3am though and was most likely Roger's doing maintenance.

If Teksavvy's service stays the way it is right now, then I will be a customer with them for a long time.

Update: Recently received my second invoice. It was dated for the 1st and was due 10 days later. This is too short a window between the invoice date and due date. Most companies, including Rogers have an average window of about 3 weeks. Teksavvy was able to resolve this issue and lengthen the window for me.

member for 3.8 years, 1053 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Riazg See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Fast speeds, rock solid connection, Speed boost enabled"
Bad "Install process done by Rogers techician"
Overall "Great alternative to the Bell or Rogers"

I ordered Teksavvy cable's 10Mbps/512K. The order process was simple and straight forward over the phone. I purchased a SB6120 modem from Teksavvy. It arrived before my install date. On the install day, a Rogers technician arrived and was unable to find the drop at the side of the building. A couple days later another Rogers technician was deployed and he was able to trace the cable. Once he hooked up the cable, the modem started to work right away.I performed some speed test and was impressed. With SpeedBoost enabled, I can peak at 60Mbps and my average is around 15Mbps. Not bad for a 10Mbps service. Referral system is great! You get $1/month credit for each user you refer.

Thank you Teksavvy!

Comments:

Review by superbluefox See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great service!"
Bad "The CSR I talked to the first time gave me some incorrrect info, but I got it all sorted out in the Direct Forum."

Was a satisfied DSL customer (although speed was not great due to my line quality), and now I'm a happy Cable customer! Woot!

Comments:

Review by moffa See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "Fast speed, reliable, cost effectiive"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Ditch Rogers, its a no brainer"

·CIKTEL Telecom
Switched from their DSL service so I ordered the Motorola SB6120 from Teksavvy and they coordinated the installation with the Rogers technician. Installation went smooth and the service was active within 30 minutes of the technician leaving.

Fast connection - with speedboost I can obtain 30 Mbps although I get the 15 Mbps when downloading large files. Have a full 1 Mbps upload which is great for torrents.

Great company, reliable service and cost effective - everything you could ask for.

Comments:

Review by MmmPancakes See Profile

• Location: L4J
Good "Timely activation, speeds as promised, gigantic cap"
Bad "I honestly can't think of anything right now."
Overall "You need to switch to Teksavvy unless you like burning money."

[Jun 7 2011]
I will write a preliminary review here, seeing as I just got my service activated. Will update as I go along if I bump into any trouble.

I have had experience with Teksavvy before using their DSL service at my old residence, so I was elated to hear that when cable finally arrived in my new area (Thornhill, close to Bathurst/Centre), I could dump Rogers and their >$50/month for 60gb cap plan for good.

Gotta clarify the "order to success" # of days criteria here: certainly it's not that long because of hiccups with my activation, just simply because Rogers requires a 30 day notice so I couldn't get my Teksavvy up right away until I'm done with Rogers. I called in around mid-May, found out everything from Teksavvy that I need to do to switch, and called in Rogers to get my termination date. Unfortunately just another gesture for Rogers to gouge the customer for that last month of money, but what can you do?

Dealing with the sales rep was very smooth, didn't have to wait long and got all my confirmation in the email a day later. Modem received a couple days later well before my activation date. Plugged the modem in this morning at 9:30 and everything is running on Teksavvy now, gotta say that's efficiency at its best.

I'm on the 10mbps/512kbps plan, works out to ~$41/month all-in, modem costs $75 to buy outright. Happy customer so far, and I expect TSI's staff will be extremely helpful should I encounter any problems (knock on wood). Hence why I have left the tech support rating blank for now.

I will give it more time before I add a rating for connection reliability also, as one day obviously isn't enough for me to gauge this, but I'm sure everything will work out fine

Speed test (for some different times of day)
»www.speedtest.net/result/1331383313.png