TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by travyb See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Price, speed, 300gb cap."
Bad "the dont offer cable tv?"
Overall "cant beat it"

15/1 cable, 300gb cap $43/mth. speeds are within target and normally slightly higher. Very helpful sales rep when ordered. very friendly and helpful. Every question was answered right away. no run around. Switched from rogers who was charging a fortune and who's staff and field techs are clueless. would rather gouge my eyes out than to deal with rogers or bell ever again.

Comments:

Review by Aldagr8 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "The Rates, speeds offered and Bandwidth limits"
Bad "Slower speeds due to Rogers Server upgrades"
Overall "Overall once everything is normal, Speeds are Excellent"

I am happy with my Cable 15/1 service with 300 gb limit/mth. I will definitely upgrade to unlimited if i think 300 is not enough or the Exciting rumours of higher speeds on the way.

Inititally i faced some issues with setup speeds and constant disconnections. But overall the speed is fine now. It's sluggish towards late evenings near the Yonge/Sheppard and I am being routed to the Greensboro POI. As the servers are being upgraded, I am definitely excited about stable speeds in the near future.

Yesterday i had speeds of over 2 MB/s in the evening around 6 pm which was AWESOME . I have the DCM 475 which is running these speeds smoothly enough for the time being .

Used new DNS settings from google benchmark tool which might help other users if they are having connectivity issues to some sites. Here's the link from another helpful user: »code.google.com/p/namebench/

I got my service activated on June 30, 2011. Just initial Setup issues. Not blamed on Teksavvy but on Rogers Server upgrades.

Experience with the support staff?
They called me up the very next day at 10 in the morning eventhough it was holiday and routed me to tech who briefed me on some Modem dignostics page info. Very helpful and informative.

Comments:

Review by Leachman See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Friendly people, solid connection, call-backs!"
Bad "Some internal communication issues, soem patience require dif you encounter issues"
Overall "Solid vlaue, customer-centric service, no caps!"

I tried both 2-link MLPPP and cable for 1-2 months to test. I use my own VoIP for telephone service, and stream/download concnte exclusively for television and movie watching. Being able to stream HD, make a call and download content at the same time without issues was very important for me. I was gald to find the cable stable and quick. I dropped the DSL service and have been very happy with my Teksavvy cable service. I now surf, download and stream without worry about a data caps or service degredation.

Comments:

Good "grate speed reliable 300GB cap"
Bad "none"

thank you teksavvy. order went grate installation 1 day late as Rogers did not come on time, but it got connected 20 min. it was up and ruining no trouble

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by Giggity See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "Knowledgable Staff, Inexpensive/Stable/Unthrottled Connections, Unlimited Bandwidth"
Bad "NA"
Overall "If you want an ISP that honestly cares about their reputation, as well as your quality of service, look no further than Teksavvy"

I have been with TSI since May 9, 2011. I subscribe to the 15/1 Unlimited plan. By my router statistics, I estimate that our family downloads about 500GB, and uploads about 300GB per month. If anyone is wondering if the "unlimited" concept is actually real, without overages... It is very much real. I was paying Robbers $70 per month for service which was so badly throttled, I could barely surf the 'net or play World of Warcraft. Thank You Teksavvy!

member for 4.9 years, 176 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by ExpFist See Profile

Good "NO CAPS, Excellent and Consistant Speed, Zero Throttling, Great Uptime"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If you can get it, you'd be stupid not to switch"

I usually don't bother to write online reviews (except perhaps when the service or product is crap), but for the first time in a while I've felt that the service I've received deserves a positive review.

I am from Mississauga, and switched to Teksavvy the moment cable was available in my area. DSL from Bell is terrible, so I opted to wait for cable to be made available before making the switch from Rogers after 15 years. The Rogers cable network is great, but their Internet service is terrible. This is where Teksavvy has come in.

I bought a new modem and setup the installation on the date of cancellation from Rogers. The day of, my Rogers connection was active and working, I swapped the modems, and my Teksavvy was now active. This was far more seamless of a switch than I had hoped for. For those reading this review considering switching, I highly recommend that you obtain a new if switching to Teksavvy if you are looking for a seamless, outage free switch.

Speed has been excellent and consistent. My actual (non speedtest) downloads are always between 15Mbps and 16Mbps (not including the initial speed boost), and I have not noticed any periods where the connection slows down. Unlike with Rogers, my latency is not increased (ICMP) while downloading, Teksavvy does not inject wildcards into their DNS, and no traffic shaping of any kind is in place. Just raw, un$%@ed with Internet. This reminds me of the days when I first got Rogers back when they first offered cable Internet, minus the frequent re-synching and outages, and at a far greater speed. Within the first day of using the service, I felt an unexpected feeling of freedom when using the Internet.

I have read others complaining about issues Teksavvy has had providing verbal (phone) support. I can not speak to this, since with Presales I used their web-site and the Teksavvy direct forums for any questions (which were promptly answered), and I've never had any issues that required me to phone them. To me this is an additional plus, as the old saying goes - "The best Administrator is the administrator no one knows exists, because they have no problems to report".

I am concerned Teksavvy will start to go downhill as their customer numbers increase, but I have personally not seen any signs of this yet, and have convinced a number of local friends to switch. I am very selective about the companies I recommend to friends. The fact that Teksavvy has been on the front lines of the UBB opposition is an added bonus, as I am pleased that I can put my financial backing to a company that supports and fights for an open unmetered Internet. I no longer have any Rogers/Bell services in my home.

To TekSavvy: Keep up the good work as you have been, and like Rogers once had, you'll have a loyal customer for decades.

Comments:

Review by mulambo187 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent internet connection at a great price!"
Bad "No cons, plenty fast, stable connection."
Overall "If available in your area, go for it!!!!"

I switched over from Rogers Cable after over a year of bondage, mediocre customer service and extortionate prices. Very happy with the move, my Rogers connection was OK. I was worried there would be some degradation but when the switch over to Teksavvy finally happend, it literally blew Rogers out of the water. My game pings are great, my downloads and uploads are great, my VOIP line is running crystal clear and everything seems consistent throughout the day, I am very happy with the service.

Comments:

Review by DarkStar33 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Price, Reliability and Performance"
Bad "Occasional Growing Pains"
Overall "Best ISP Option in Canada"

We migrated from TekSavvy DSL to TekSavvy Cable about a year ago and have been blown away by the results. Zero throttling, no caps and excellent speeds up/down at all times of the day.

Stability has been excellent aside from a few issues while Rogers resolve issues outside of TekSavvys control. Performance was downgraded but was never disconnected or unreliable.

The cable packages represents the best value for your money if you can get it.

Comments:

Review by greenrosetta See Profile

• Location: Squamish,BC
Good "Well worth switching to."
Bad "nothing bad"
Overall "Good value for $"

Teksavvy cable in BC, From what I had read there was no issues (in BC) with this isp from pre-order to up and running. Well not so, pre-order with sales staff 10/10, tech support when not hooked up on time, lets just say first tech unable to provide connection (2.5/10 tried but failed). Ultimately had to pass my account to a Shaw specialist within Teksavvy tech support 24hrs later, I decided not to wait and called Shaw themselves and inquired what happened to the smooth transition I was promised. The Shaw support team for Teksavvy connections said they had never received an email to hookup my connection, thats 10 days of notice and no heads up? A glitch indeed, so much for planning ahead, my connection for Teksavvy was made by Shaw support team, but I was told that do not call us again for support please call Teksavvy. Ok up and running so time to hook up my netgear wndr3700 router and called Teksavvy support for some insight on this no ip address scenario, to my surprise the tech csr was very unhelpful and interrupted me at least five times through my inquires, not good. There will always be one bad apple in the crowd but thats two failed attempts for tech support, not impressed but I will let it go due to the fact that this connection is presently working better than the Shaw connection I just had disconnected from. To go back to the router, Netgear themselves were unable to assist me in getting it up and running, engineer I spoke with did not have english as a first language and consistently said FINE whenever things did not work, she finally said unable to assist. So searching online I found the following that helped me get the router to function as it should, (How to change the DHCP server subnet of a netgear router-necessary if you have a Nat modem). Well none of that made any sense to my knowledge of internet connections but it worked, If someone cares to explain what that is go for it but I am not an engineer so try laments terms. Oh yeah I am using the motorola sb5102 modem, same modem that Shaw uses in BC. So here we are and my Teksavvy connection works well during non-peak hours, 25mbps down and 2.5mbps up with 300gb cap. I have noticed that during 4pm to midnite the advertised speeds are not what the pro package is but I thought that this would be the case with Shaws saturated or congested infrastructure, still way better than Shaws connection, as for torrents use I have for the first time ever hit 2mbps download speed-WOW!

Comments:

Review by GBerry See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Connection speed, reliability, cost"
Bad "Sale coordination, installation"
Overall "Perfect once install is complete but sales support is currently weak"

While install was fairly prompt, the process could have been accelerated had Teksavvy sales agents properly recorded the information that I gave them.

Information which was given during the sale failed to be placed in my file. Also, information which was required for install was not asked for at that point. Upon receiving a confirmation email I called to rectify the errors so as not to delay my install date. Again the details were not recorded, nor my file updated.

The installation team then called to request this information. Luckily I called to confirm the install date at that point as well as they had sent an email. However, without internet I had no way to receive their confirmation request, nor confirm.

In the end, install was delayed by only 4 days but I couldn't help but feel the whole process could have went smoother.

One month into service and it has been excellent. Speeds were as expected (15mb down / 1mb up) with no noticeable slowdown at all.

Teksavvy is a great company and I expect any problems will be solved promptly by their team as they have been for my DSL connection with them in the past.