TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Defiant001 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, ISP run at the core by those who understand tech"
Bad "Connection can be unstable at times, but this is rare."
Overall "A far better choice in Cogeco land"

·Cogeco Cable
Package: Cable 55 Unlimited - $112.94/month (used to be Cable 30 but was recently changed).

Speed: 55Mbps down/10Mbps up

Term: Been signed up for just over a year

Modem: Technicolor DOCSIS 3 modem

I signed up as soon as Teksavvy was available in my area, I could not stand Cogeco's (lack of) customer service anymore. Setting up the new connection was flawless, on the day the new connection was to be active I came home from work and plugged in the new modem I bought through Teksavvy and everything worked.

Initially there were some growing pains in Oakville area and connection issues here and there but those seem to have smoothed out now and everything is working well.

Customer service and tech support at Teksavvy are very good when I had to use them for the initial issues, always friendly and the tech support knows their stuff well.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your review

Hello Defiant001 See Profile

Thanks for taking the time to review our services.

We are glad to find out you have been satisfied with our services.

Enjoy them!

Review by ju1ce See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Straight Forward Fees, Active Tech Support on Boards"
Bad "Since they are at the mercy of Rogers Teksavvy may not be able to solve your problem"
Overall "Better than the competitors just be aware of possible issues when installing or having issues with the network and accept it"

Got hooked up with Teksavvy when I moved into the GTA region. I called them up to connect and order my modem which was done fairly quickly. We purchased the DCM476 and the Cable 18 Express package.

My modem arrived within 2 days as suggested but the installation side wasn't so smooth.

They (being Rogers) tried to come earlier than the scheduled window, for which I was at work, so I could not make it and I had asked the person to come during the scheduled time. I thought we came to an agreement and instead he did not show up as scheduled so I had to reschedule with Teksavvy. Once the new schedule date was given the person came and got it all up and running.

I knew coming in there may be a problem and that Teksavvy may blame Rogers but reality is since they are the ISP of my choice they need to own up to it period. I think most would agree that some sort of "compensation" should be in order but reality is I don't care because I don't NEED internet as though my life depended on it.

In the end I am satisfied with Teksavvy and would recommend them. I would just caution people that because they are a 3rd party provider it may not always go smooth and you should accept that going into it instead of being belligerent.

Updated --- October 23, 2013

I was down for approximately 9 days (even though I called Teksavvy on day 3 so to them it's 7) at the end of September and beginning of October 2013.

Tech support, from a calling point of view, had very long wait times (first was around 45 minutes, second was 1.5 hours) for speaking with someone. In both times I spoke with the tech support person we tried everything imaginable to get the internet to work. The first time was due to a connection issue between the router and the cable box outside and the second time was a DHCP issue.

The positive was:

- Tech support when finally reaching someone

- I was reimbursed for the 9 days I was down

The negative:

- Long wait times on tech support

- Rescheduled dates 2 times with 1 other being a completely different confirmation date on the same ticket which caused some confusion

- No backup should the internet be down for a long duration, but at your request I believe you can ask for a WIND wireless stick.

The reality is I'm still okay with Teksavvy overall. Can't beat the price, the usage cap, and last but not least the fact they are fighting for our rights.

Updated --- August 1, 2014

I just moved to another place and the transition was very smooth. No problems so far.

The only issue I would say is the cost of the move. Most expensive utility at 65 bucks.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We greatly appreciate it and are always happy to receive feedback.

As far as these random disconnects are concerned would you be able to contact us in the direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can look into this with you?

Also I'm sorry to hear about the rough start you had with us. Do you know if your billing dates were properly adjusted to account for this delayed start? If not we can check on that for you as well.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Response.

Thanks a lot for the update! I'd be glad to put through a credit for the two days as we had an IVR letting customers know the issue is in your area- Just message me in the direct so I can get your account information. We appreciate all feedback and will work to continually improve our services.

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Update!

Hi there!

Glad to hear the move went smoothly for you! Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you run into any issues, we'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Review by Aftcomet See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Pretty much everything."
Bad "Sometimes sales agents don't have the right information. But tech support has always been good."
Overall "I've been with Bell, Rogers, and Teksavvy. TekSavvy is hands down the best by a long shot."

I've had TekSavvy for over 7 years. I think that's a testament to itself. I can count on one hand how many times I've had an issue with them over that time period (which were always resolved). I started with DSL but moved to cable because you got higher speeds for cheaper. I don't even know what to write about. Everything exceeded my expectations (and I'm not one easy to please either). I think it's a shame that Bell and Rogers exist at all. The experience has been top notch from top to bottom. I have zero complaints.

My only wish now is for TekSavvy to succeed further WHILE REMAINING THE SAME.

If you're contemplating getting TekSavvy services, DO IT WITH THE UTMOST CONFIDENCE.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Aftcomet,

Thank you for the great review of TekSavvy. I am thrilled to see that you have enjoyed the service for many years with minimal issue. I am happy to see you have tried both our internet offerings available and have settled with the Cable internet.

Thank you again for this great review. Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey. If you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by stevenmm See Profile

• Location: Dundas,ON
Good "Price, Tech Support Reps, Customer Service"
Bad "Install by Cogeco Tech, Teksavvy tech support wait times."
Overall "Great Value for your money, reliable service."

I have had Teksavvy Cable Internet service for 4 months; I am a very satisfied customer. Unfortunately I have decided to go back to Bell because I am getting their Fibe television service. I will keep Teksavvy in mind in the future if I ever leave Bell.

Customer Service:

My Teksavvy interaction with customer service was great since the beginning. They helped me pick my package and modem, and informed me how everything works. When I decided I was leaving to go back to Bell the customer service rep was understanding, and helped me pick the cancellation date, so I would save money. Customer service reps are friendly and professional.

Install:

When I had my service installed I had a Cogeco Tech guy came who was pretty rude. He hooked a wire into wall, the shortest one possible, and said you have to stick your modem there, and walked out. Heck I'm even a Cogeco Cable customer you figure he would have treated me better. I do not blame Teksavvy for that, they can't control what the tech reps from these companies do, they are at the mercy of them.

After the service was installed someone from Teksavvy called to make sure everything went ok. That was the first time I ever had someone call from a company to follow up on an install. I informed them about my experience with the Cogeco and he was very apologetic.

I had a problem with my internet going down, I called tech support and they worked on the problem with me, and we got my internet back up and running. The only thing I did not like about calling Tech support is the wait times. However when you get through to them they are very friendly and helpful. I have not had any problem after that with my internet unless there was real bad weather and the line was down.

I recommend Teksavvy Solutions for your internet needs they have great customer service, and reasonable prices. Tech support wait times need to be improved however from reading the Teksavvy forum on dslreports.com they are training more tech support reps, so wait times should go down in the future. I will defiantly return to Teksavvy in the future if I leave Bell.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Thanks for the great review.

Hello stevenmm See Profile

Thank you very much for the clear, concise, positive feedback.

As for the wait time, yes we are getting new hires to help bring this down. Most likely you called in the evening where things typically pick up in regards to the amount of calls we get.

We wish you the best with your new provider. By all means, if you ever feel the need to come back, let us know & we will continue to do our best to help you out.

Best Regards,

Review by ltpenguin See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "They have great staff on the Direct forum! No more waiting on hold :P"
Bad "Rogers needs to install can be a pain :I Update: they no longer require a technician in most cases"
Overall "It is a great value."

Would recommend especially if you are reading this on DSLReports. They have a great group in the Direct support forum. I never need to call in and be on hold for 30mins The worst part is having setup done by Rogers which is a pain to schedule but once setup it is great Total monthly cost included taxes

member for 1.6 years, 314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Kind words, the BEST gift on a Monday!

Thank you very much for the kind words! We're always glad to help in any capacity that we can! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can let us know in the Direct forum!

Thanks again for the kudos, and hope you enjoy your Monday!

TSI Joe

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two years (currently July 2014), and I have not had to have any interaction with them since requesting the upgrade from 3M to 6M more than a year ago. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.4 years, 782 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Thanks again
Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by mrbubbles See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Amazing pricing, unlimited 2am-8am, stable connection"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Buy it. Now."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Moved to Montreal and ordered a 20/10 cable connection. Modem (DCM475) was shipped quickly and installation was painless. They confirmed the date and service was online within 2h of the installation technician visiting.

All TekSavvy plans are unlimited use from 2am-8am and unmetered upload all the time. That means my 300GB cap is only for downloads not performed between 2am-8am.

Stable connection and the speeds are consistently as advertised, even during peak hours. Highly recommended!

Comments:

TSILiz

Hey There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this and to hear that everything has been a smooth process for you We appreciate the kind words and want to continue your positive experience so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Everything: value, reliability, speed, bandwidth you name it"
Bad "You'll have to buy and configure a wireless router (but you can do it!)"
Overall "Best internet in Canada"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
I've had bhell internet ('06-'09), It was a nightmare all the way to it's bitter end. I wish I'd known better. In came Robbers ('09-'12) which offered much better service, but at a cost. Traffic shaping was consistently inconsistent; some weeks yes, but mostly not. In the end economics rule and I switched to Teksavvy cable. The transition was no problem and right away I saw my upload speeds double. I've seen DL speeds just over 4 mb/s overall which was beforehand unthinkable to get half that. (have Teksavvy Extreme Cable 28/Unlimited and the Rogers' was Hi-Speed Express) I have 8 months of service so far and all my bills are predictable and the service has so far never been offline. Not one minute. I bought the modem (Thompson for $100 - same price at Canada Computers) and needed a router (Asus RT N-10+ open box $12) and can now have all the streaming and downloading and gaming that I want, which is a lot. My wife and I cut the cable 4 years ago and we've never looked back- Teksavvy cable allows us to do this with minimal hassles and we save a lot of money.

UPDATE:

Still 100% solid, Thanks TSI!

Update July 2014: Simply put, I never have a problem with Teksavvy cable Internet. I've noticed recently that the wait times for CS and TS have decreased significantly. Well done.

We would never consider changing ISP's. We feel sorry for all of you using Rogers, Bell and acanac.

UPDATE July 2014 (again)

Switched to a different package (cable 30) and it took minimal time to take effect. I was happy with the Teksavvy representative on the phone, as he knew exactly what to do and how to do it. He even reminded me that I would have to reset the modem for the change in speeds to take effect. As always, Teksavvy allows us to take the internet for granted which is appreciated! Without Teksavvy, subscribing to the internet would mean a whole world of pain and wasted money.

Thanks again

Comments:

TSILiz

Hi There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, always awesome to see when the service is working and the customer is happy! We appreciate your support and if you ever have any questions or concerns about your account feel free to reach us anytime.

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29

Greatest update!

Thank you very much for your wonderful update on this review! As if it couldn't get any better already!!!

We certainly appreciate your kind words, and love that everything is rock solid for you!

As always, if you need us for anything, please let us know! We'd be happy to help out!

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

TSI Joe-C

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Cheaper than the big 2 (Rogers & Bell)"
Bad "They use the big 2 (Rogers & Bell) network, so we are at their mercy "
Overall "Takes too long for tech support (can be one week without internet). They ask too many details when the problem is obvious."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
In my street Rogers cabling is very bad. Cables are supposed to be underground, but they are all old and not reliable. A lot of people have temporary cables hanging in the street (like me). We pay for a service but nothing get repaired properly. This is not the fault of teksavvy, this is Rogers (and Bell too) being ass holes and sitting on their money and not repairing their infrastructure properly. Internet reliability is worst than 15 years ago. We feel like the third world!

Mississauga, ON

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Herglod,

Thank you for the review. I have reviewed your direct thread we are assisting you with and this review and the issues are very different. You have not mentioned line issues outside the home in your direct thread so we would not be aware of your dissatisfaction mentioned in this review. If there are lines outside that need to be repaired please send us some photos of them in your direct post so we can look into having them repaired for you.

Thank you again for the review, we look forward to assisting you with this issue.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by Pastuch See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Customer service"
Bad "Rogers controls pretty much everything"
Overall "Genuinely impressed with the customer service"

Update 2: Service was activated this morning. The Thompson DCM476 is here. Everything is working. Thanks.

UPDATE:

I'm still not thrilled that I'll be paying $14 more a month than I had originally signed up for but Teksavvy has done everything in their power to mitigate the cost to me. They've promised to credit my install fee and provide a cable modem for free. They did this after informing me that my modem isn't compatible with their network even though their website says it is. I recognise that's a significant capital investment in bringing me on as a customer. I was really impressed with all of the sales/customer service people that have followed up with me over the last few days. The main reason I signed up was I was impressed with Teksavvys presence on this site.

The biggest problem for Teksavvy will always be Rogers, they do everything in their power to screw up every cable install. It took Rogers 8 days to process my disconnection from their service (Acanac) and now I've had no internet service for 2 days with no install date yet. Teksavvy is sending me a rocket stick to borrow but I won't get that until Wednesday June 25th. Hopefully my internet is working by then.

Suggestion for teksavvy: My modem was listed on your website as compatible. Please update your website to reflect changes in plan pricing (ahead of time) and modem Compatibility.

Original Review:

After years of poor service with Acanac/3web/Distributel I threw in the towel and canceled my cable service with them.

On June 12th I called Teksavvy and spoke with a nice sales agent that told me if I ordered today I could take advantage of their existing prices. She advised that Teksavvy would be increasing their rate plans on June 15th. I thanked her for her advice and placed my order online. I ordered Teksavvy Cable Internet 25 MB Pro on June 12th. The bill they sent me is for $120.85 after taxes, that includes an install charge. They could not activate my cable internet service immediately because Rogers takes 4 to 8 days to process disconnection requests from third party providers (Acanac in this case). I'm waiting for Rogers to process the disconnection but I got an email from Teksavvy sales on June 17th, telling me that the package I signed up for is no longer available! They want to charge me the rates that came into effect on June 15th.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Specified plan no longer available

Hello,

Terribly sorry to hear of your experience.

Would it be at all possible for you to either reach out to me by PM TSI Martin See Profile or via our »TekSavvy Direct forum. We would like to see if we can find a solution about this.

Thanks & Regards,

Chatham, ON

Thanks for taking my call earlier today. As explained, we'll do our best to get your service up & running ASAP. Feel free to reach out to me personally if you have any questions or issues regarding your order.

Roldy

@192.171.50.x

10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

Im actually a long time teksavvy dsl subscriber and after about a deacade my new cable order was denied too! But let me begin with this:

Ive had a great time with them, usually a very honest/knowledgeable ppl on the front line...dont judge them too harshly (as long as you and I get solutions to pur issues in the long run)

Fact is I get why misinformation was rampant, its not like they discontinue plans often! (playing devils advocate, teksavvy itself should know how from past experience how rogers handles hard cutoff dates, and give themselves a 5 day buffer to avoid these kind of issues)

But I didnt mean to hyjack your thread Pastuch , but I did want to make you aware that your not the only 1, and not to give up on teksavvy so easily. I think it helps both of us to know about each other. It tells me they didnt plan this very wel...which is frankly surprising!

I also didnt think it appropriate to make a new thread while I am still negotiating. Im fairly confident that in the long run theyll do the right thing, and make us both happy

So I put my story below for those who want more than the broad strokes
================================================================================== ================================================================================

I was switching from dsl to cable. I had also been warned as much as 2 weeks earlier that the plans were changing. I expected i would switch anyway, as I was switching my landline to voip with teksavvy too, and as my dsl modem is on the fritz, and dry loop fees, etc. the now obsolete 25mbit cable plan became my best option.

Researching to come to that conclusion, comparing rates, saving vm's before porting my phone took a while; long enough to get me a day or 2 prior to the deadline. But every rep I asked along the process, including the 1 that took my order was under the impression that as long as the order is IN before the 15th, its reserved, Im in.

They sent my billing instruction the afternoon of the 15th, paid on the 17th, got my modem friday, and was told it was declined when I called in to confirm my service call date! :/

First, I was told it was cause it got thru the system and to rogers too late, then because I PAID after the 15th, and to paraphrase, I was pretty much told sorry we can no longer offer the plan you ordered, and I would have to just order an inferior/&/or more expensive plan off the (new) shelf. This was my biggest surprise! The phrase 'same or equal value' came to mind. It was their fault after all so this only seemed natural to me... but i had to really push to get them to even entertain the idea of a compromise.

but i do want to stress: if theres ANY company deserves my patience, even if I have to kind of push them to do the right thing, its Teksavvy

At this point I am waiting to hear back today. Ive made several suggestions that satisfy me and make things right. Not the least of which is push rogers to honour the order like I was pushing them to do. Or give me @ least the speed I paid for, at no more than the price I signed up for.

Wish me luck, and good luck to you (and any other ppl with similar issues!!) plz update this thread when yours gets resolved
Pastuch

join:2004-02-29
Kanata, ON

Re: 10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

"Pushing rogers to honour the order" isn't something Teksavvy is capable of doing. Hopefully they compensate you in some other way.

Roldy

@199.119.233.x

Re: 10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

I know, @ this point it feels like a valid thing to say.

Im just pointing out that they can justifiably blame rogers, but I have no point of contact with rogers (other than teksavvy themselves). The onus is on teksavvy to insulate themselves (and thus their customers) from rogers...especially since they dont even communicate well.

But to be told 'its rogers fault' without any recourse isnt appropriate either; I have no business with rogers. theyre just being honest, but it left us nowhere. Im just surprised they didnt expect hyjinx outa rogers.

But I told you that youll be happy in the long run! Am I reading your post right?? free modem (+120$) & free install (+$50)?!? WOWWEEE!! Well done Pastuch!

They hadnt proposed anything to me at first, so I suggested getting the 30mBit/150 cap (usually $45/m) for the $42 I was expecting for 25mBit/300gb cap (literally 3 bux off. I get slightly higher speed, but half the gb/month...fine compromise in my mind).

over several conversations it goes from: "im sorry but we do not offer discounts like this" - to: 3$ off for 2months - then: 6months. Now $30 over 6mo if i go back to dsl (25mBit tho...my suggestion to find more wiggle room). But still reverts to full price, and nowhere near the appeasement you got! **applause**

I dont think im asking for allot...again "same or equal value" is my focus. but if they refunded my modem/activation, Id agree too. thats effectively 3-5months free or 56+months of my 3bux off!

anyway, wish me luck, i think I just have to remind the right rep about the companies roots
enjoy teksavvy! trust me, this is an extraordinary problem. these things dont happen, we just got unlucky