Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "no throttling and higher caps for cheaper"
Bad "start up costs are high"
Overall "If it's available in your area, get it,"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I had been with Rogers for about 10 years and about a year ago I got dinged big time by overage charges one month. Since then I'd hoped more ISPs would emerge so I could switch.

About 2 months ago I noticed a Teksavvy ad in a bus shelter on my way home from work. Checked them out, found out they were available in my area so about 2 weeks later I ordered the express service.

I got the modem about 2 days after I ordered. And on the day it was supposed to activate, I just plugged in the modem and was good.

What's great is they don't throttle torrents so you can have them finish in no time if there are enough seeders. I was having some things download at 1MB/second which I've never seen before. And not only that, you have a 300gb cap as well which I'd imagine would be difficult to reach so you can actually go with Netflix if you were considering it and not worry. Also, no DNS redirects if you mistype a URL.

The only drawback for me is the high startup costs, you have to buy the modem, pay an activation fee of $65(which they knock $20 off if you buy the modem from them), and pay the first month in one fell swoop. But to get away from Robbers though, it's worth it.

If Teksavvy is available in your area, you should make the switch.

member for 3.7 years, 629 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Thanks for your review - and welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Glad to hear the switch has been a positive experience for you.

Let us know if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Hung Dao

@99.224.103.x

Roger over usage

Move in to my new address since Aug 2013 got the promotion from my builder 6 month free of 150gb/month with rogers. after six month I had to pay around $600 on top of the free service ,because mostly every month my usage was over 50gb to 60gb that I could not track. Then i pumped up my usage to 300gb which is double the previous cap, I believed that I have a large gap to the cap for safety??? can you image that I still received 60gb over of my 300gb cap some time... what the...
So I called to cancel the service to GET AWAY from Rogers, they will disconnect my service this Nov 11, 2014. I will come back with Teksavvy, the internet provider that I used before I switched to Rogers. With 300gb at Teksavvy I never had gone over usage.

Review by peatbog See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast"
Overall "So Far So Good"

2014 10 13 Update

I switched to teksavvy cable 20/10 in August. The service has been fine except for the one-day or so glitch (some general problem - not teksavvy alone) several weeks ago. Since the glitch, the download speed has continued at a steady 20, and the upload speed is now a steady 10, as opposed to the lower average I was getting before it.

Testing is done several times a day using speedtest.net, so the speeds should be representative. I am not on the pc after 7pm or thereabouts, so God knows what happens then, but for my usage, the service could not be better.

---

2014 08 01 Initial Review

I decided to get cable because, for one or two dollars more a month than our dsl connection, I can get 20/10 for download/upload, and that is much faster than the dsl we had. There is no static IP but that is ok because we no longer run our mail server, and the web server is hardly ever used by us.

The cable installer showed up on Wednesday and connected the cable. He reported a good signal and attached the cable to the new modem that I had bought several days earlier from teksavvy. He said to give it 20 minutes to sync up or whatever it does, and left. There was no other hand-holding. I had also bought an asus wireless router since my dlink is about 4 years old, and had managed to get it running with my dsl connection.

After running an errand, I came home and found all the lights lit on the modem, plugged in the router, and it worked.

Since then, the connection has been fine. I have been home all week and have tested the connection speed several times a day: it almost always hits 20 download, while the upload varies anywhere from 3 to 10, averaging around 6 or 7. Since we were getting .6 for upload with the dsl connection, even 3 for upload is hot stuff. The dsl gave us 5 for download, so 20 is terrific.

The main use is with two desktop computers, but we also have a laptop and that gets a good signal anywhere in the house.

So far so good.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for the review of your TekSavvy services! I am happy to hear you have our Cable internet connected and have had minimal issues with it and are receiving consistent speeds. I am happy to see the installation went smoothly and everything connected right away. This is fantastic to see!!!

If you have any questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forumhttps://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

TSI ShawnS

Re: latest Update

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for your update!
We are pleased to see that you are still enjoying your Cable service! If you have any other questions please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "Works just like Rogers without limiting caps"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Excellent value for money"

·WIND Mobile
I was a Rogers customer for about 8 years ... and generally that was reliable, especially after the move to a DOCSIS modem, so since nothing over the last mile (15km in reality) has changed, I don't expect to see any difference between TekSavvy and Rogers.

I asked for installation on the 16th of May. I ordered an SB6120 which arrived in time. I said a tech visit was not required. I connected the modem at 08:00 and it was still in Rogers Walled Garden. At 09:00 I was live on TekSavvy and apart from a login glitch on DSLR everything was identical. No tech appeared at my door.

This is operating in parallel with Rogers service. Nobody told me I can't since I had 2 modems it was technically good to go and that's how it's been since. I didn't want any risk of prolonged down time if I did a transfer that went awry.

I'm on TekSavvy Express and was on Rogers Express. Speedtests behave similarly. I really can't tell much difference. Pings around the world are comparable. There are a couple strange routings out of TekSavvy but the same would happen with Rogers ... just different.

Happy to pay less for a higher throughput limitation. 300GB/month as opposed to 60.

----------------------------

6 months on ...

Told Rogers to take a hike after the extra month of 2 providers. TekSavvy's service has been no different from Rogers apart from a minor technical issue created by Rogers mismanagement of the TSI POI router at Fallowfield causing a slowdown.

Since I lost the discounts with Rogers, it's not saving me as much as I might prefer, but hey, I'm happy to be supporting TSI.

---------------------------
August 2012

Upgrades have resulted in terrific download speeds. Uploads still slow, but that's Rogers for ya ... not offering improved speeds yet.

The underlying Rogers service has been quite solid and I haven't had to use TSI support, since the couple times internet has gone out, so has TV ... so that's a Rogers issue ... 1-888-ROGERS1 fixes all

---------------------------
June 2013

DOCSIS 3 implementation by Rogers has with a Motorola 6120 modem allowed further upgrades and I chose to upgrade to a 1Mbps upload profile. Speed is very reliable except during the recent DDoS attack on TSI. 28/1 profile.

Any contact with TSI has had things resolved quickly and easily. I use the Direct forum ... I think I've only phoned them once ever!

Will consider the change to non-grandfathered profile after the change to ATPIA on our head end.

It would take a mega disaster to make we want to go back to Rogers!

Sep 2014

Still on 28/1 ... chose not to go non-grandfathered ... this does the job well. I'm waiting for the changes coming down the line after the CRTC process.

member for 13.3 years, 6551 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty

Your Review

Thank you for the update on your review, this is very much appreciated and we are ecstatic that you are still enjoying the services!

Martin

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi sbrook!

Glad to hear you're still happy with your plan! Hopefully we'll soon hear great news from the CRTC end, so thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Review by nbegin See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better than posted DL speeds when backhaul is not congested"
Bad "It took 8 days to recover from last Ice - TPIA's are definitely second class "
Overall "Good value - but don't run voip on cable"

Originally ordered 10M/500K on an SB5100. Install was horrific (thanks Rogers) and had to wait 8 days for a Rogers tech to close a ticket to get service. Good speeds (20M) off hours. Upgrade to 15M/1M on an SB6120. Upgraded to 45M/4M and it's pretty good. Connection has been pretty solid, though definitely felt like a second class citizen during the last ice storm. Had to wait 8 days for a Rogers tech even though they were on the street the day after the storm and I called as soon as the cable went down.

member for 13.1 years, 88 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hello nbegin,

Thank you for the review, we do appreciate when our customers take the line to let us know how we are doing.

We are happy to hear your internet connection has been solid. We understand how you feel about waiting for the technician, we tried to get them out as soon as we can. We are working with our vendor to alleviate the wait times our customer have to endure for the technicians. We appreciate your understanding and loyalty during times like these.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free contact us.

Thanks,

Chris

Review by Jayar See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Great service within the GTA, unlimited usage option"
Bad "A large leap in cost for unlimited; (currently) cheaper and comparable alternatives"

Pre-Sales info wasn't very thorough, but since it is a new service, I understood that TSI just wanted to get it out there. The team did a great job filling us in at DSLR, but their main website is still left wanting.

Install Coordination was spot on, a tech wasn't sent to my house, rather, the transfer of service from Rogers to TSI was done remotely (as it should be). I suffered a maximum of 5 minutes downtown, which is great considering I was expecting to be out of internet for a day or two when I signed up!

Connection reliability is great, but I do suffer from a bit (1-2%) of packetloss. As I understand, Rogers is looking into it, but aside from that, stability is great.

Tech support now has longer wait times. Whereas I used to wait about 5 minutes max to have someone on the phone with me, I now wait at least 10 minutes. But the former was three years, and the latter is part of the growing pains of a company who I think is slowly coming in to their own. I'm sure in the coming months these wait times will be again reduced, luckily for us, the tech support staff are absolutely delightful to deal with in my experience.

Service is great. I was with TSI for three years on a 1.7/600 connection, and left it for Rogers hoping the hearsay of TSI providing cable internet would actually come. Nine months later, I'm back!

Value for money is a mixed bag, mainly because of the upfront cost. $45 to activate, $25 if you purchase a modem from them, which is $85 after shipping. That's $110 + the monthly service of your choosing the first month. With HST now in effect, it may be a hard pill to swallow, but you do save in the long run.

In short, I'm glad to be back with TSI, which is now the only safe haven for unlimited cable users in Toronto.

UPDATE 9/13/14: Service has been excellent. No complaints!

UPDATE 1/01/13: It's been almost a year, and for the greater part of it service has been excellent again. They've kept up with capacity over here, and currently have no criticisms on service. Keep it up, Teksavvy!

UPDATE 1/12/12: Service was good for a while, probably the longest it's been since cable launched. But then congestion hit, and upgrades that were ordered MONTHS, many months in advance than previous upgrades failed to be installed by Rogers. The (upgrades) were supposed to be installed on the 28th of November, and after that date passed, I believe it was moved to the 5th. After that date passed it was moved to sometime in January. It is now the middle or so of the month and we haven't heard from TSI, who I assume has not heard from Rogers about the upgrade.

UPDATE 4/22/2011: 2gig is now active, and all is well. If Rogers can get the 3rd gig installed and activated before McNicoll get oversubscribed, I'll gladly change my review scores.

UPDATE 4/18/2011: More of the same congestion, different reason for it.

UPDATE 1/1/2011: I spoke too soon. Again. There were signs of congestion at the beginning of December and up until now upgrades that were apparently ordered the month before have still not been done. Peak time rates are a joke now, and lo and behold this whole time McNicoll has only been on a 500mbit pipe which we've all been previously told to be a gig. If this is what's in store for Teksavvy cable, then I don't imagine myself ever changing this review.

It's a happy new year, but the service in McNicoll sucks.

UPDATE 11/27/2010: Everything has been great the past few months. Speed was bumped from 10/1 to 15/1 at no extra cost for extreme customers, and just recently, customers are now allowed to use the Motorola SB6120 D3 modem. More recently still, McNicoll now has powerboost activated! Whatever complaints I had earlier I no longer have now.

UPDATE 9/12/2010: So McNicoll got the 10gig link, seemed OK for a couple of days, then we were hit with congestion...AGAIN, and the packetloss we've come to know and hate. On the 10th of September, Rogers performed a 10gig cross-connect upgrade which should have fixed that... but it didn't. Packetloss is still there, and browsing is affected because of it. Forgot about trying to game online, too. I'm not updating this review until months after this mess is (if?) fixed, and as it stands right now, I wouldn't recommend Teksavvy cable to anyone. Not to be malicious, as I like them as much as the next person, but simply because it currently isn't worth the problems.

UPDATE 8/16/2010: The McNicoll POI is heavily congested during peak hours due to the volume of new subscribers connected within the area. Streaming any type of media, and online gaming becomes impossible because of packet loss, not to mention downstream plummeting to about the same rate as the upstream. Recently, it's gotten much worse due to Teksavvy STILL accepting orders on that POI. I can understand the logic, but with no given date for the 10gig link they are making the problem much worse and even worrisome as none of us know when things will return to normal. I tried calling in to get a date, but after about 10 minutes I was asked to leave a message. I'm very disappointed to say the least.

UPDATE 7/20/2010: Packet loss issue has been fixed.

member for 10.2 years, 1897 visits, last login: 107 days ago

Comments:

TSI Taunia

Hello,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad to hear you are happy with the service.

We are currently working on bring our wait times down for technicial support and customer service.

Tsi TB

TSI ShawnS

re:09/13/2014 Update

Thank you for your most recent update!
Glad to hear that everything is running smoothly!

Have a great weekend!
Shawn S

Review by chrisA See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Low monthly price"
Bad "High startup cost"
Overall "Great value, friendly service"

Just had Teksavvy DSL 25/10 installed ($40/mo). I had several questions prior to the install, because this connection was going to be installed alongside a separate Bell DSL connection in the same house. Since the house has several lines coming in, I was assured this would not be a problem.

The technician visit was confirmed for 7 days after the order, and on one of my selected dates, which was a pleasant since I expected a delay due to the back-to-school rush. The technician arrived on schedule, and finished working quickly. The connection was active immediately after the technician left, and is working with great line stats, I'm getting the advertised speed.

I'm paying $5 extra per month for the dry loop connection. Some providers like Start have started to waive the dry loop fee, but they charge $10 more for the same plan, so Teksavvy still ended up $5 cheaper.

I would highly recommend Teksavvy to anyone looking for a more human ISP.

member for 2.6 years, 196 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Your Review

Thank you so much for your review. We are always glad when these things go according to plan.

Welcome to the TekSavvy Family!

John
Online Services Account Manager

Review by CyberCam See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Cable d/l speed is at full 28mb all the time & is AWESOME! Much better than the dual line MLPPP! Customer service is EXCELLENT!"
Bad "Cable u/l speed is less than the old dual line MLPPP. Hopefully this will improve soon."
Overall "There's a reason I've been a TSI customer for 5yrs... bottom line is, they're the BEST in the GTA!"

I've been a Teksavvy DSL customer for about 5 years. Started off with 6mb/800k single line for the first several years. I added another line a couple years ago to get some half decent speeds. Unfortunately, TSI didn't have cable in my area for some time, so the dual line MLPPP was the best I could get without turning to Rogers cable internet. Do I go with Rogers again...yeah right, not in this lifetime!

For the last little while I've been noticing my dual line MLPPP speed had dropped, so I troubleshoot'd my router a bit, not thoroughly because my workload was large and I didn't have the time, so I just lived with it. I did end up calling Teksavvy about the slow speeds in late November and they said they would look into it.

On December 1st I received a call from a TSI csr supervisor named "Chris", who advised me than Bell had disconnect one of my lines back in April and TSI didn't realise it and had they been charging me all this time. It turns out after calculating all of the charges up for the not service, TSI owed me almost $300.

Chris let me know that TSI cable was finally in my area and using my $300 credit, he could set me up on a 28mb/1mb profile with a modem and that I wouldn't have to pay for a couple of months as well! Obviously I agreed... Chris said he would handle everything and follow-up on the situation as it progressed. The good news is I would keep my DSL until everything was to my satisfaction, so there would be no downtime. Throughout the process (the 10 days) Chris called me couple times to relay my accounting/profile changes & conformation.

Well December 10th (d-day - technician installing my cable), I choose to have them come between 8am to 11am. To my surprise, my long time buddy that I've seen doing the Rogers connections in my area, called me at 8:15am and I was all hooked up by 8:25am.

Awesome! The new speed is fantastic 28/1 (20Mbps more than MLPPP), the speed is right on the money! I'm now going to be paying $20+ less per month on my internet, now that I've dropped the dual line MLPPP. Of course later that day I received a call from Chris again, calling to follow-up on the install. All I have to say is that I'm very impressed with his dedication to making sure I was happy. I thought that I was the only one that had customer service like that... which is a long lost trait, most companies these days have abandoned.

Again thanks TSI & Chris for everything, as long as you keep it up the great work, you'll always have a customer for life!

EDIT: Sept. 9 2014

Just updating my review as I have changed my tier to 150/10 (since April 2014). I'm please to say that my internet connection is still fantastic and stable, I've had only a couple of small outages, that lasted only 20 minutes.

I have also move almost half of my clients to Teksavvy and all are very happy with the service! Thanks again TS!

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

Hi There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, very happy to hear you are seeing full speeds and if you ever have any questions or concerns in terms of your account please feel free to reach out to us anytime

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by dsoegiarto See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Horrible Installation and follow-through thanks to Rogers"
Overall "If you're prepared with the long wait until you're online, they got the best pricing. Otherwise, stay away."

·TekSavvy DSL
Horrible setup and installation. Had to reschedule 4 times (1 was my mistake), 2 nobody showed up. Rogers mainly at fault but TSI can't even lift a finger. EMAIL is the best they can escalate. Still have no service until today (minus the 2 days after it got installed, but as of yesterday morning, it's gone again).

TSI got pooched by Rogers and there's nothing they can do. Horrible experience.

But kudos to the frontline team to do everything they can (no matter how little the result).

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your Review

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your service here, especially after a delayed install. We will be staying on top of this ticket and pushing for a resolution as often as we can.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Entire team

Hi dsoegiarto,

Just wanted to let you know that the entire team is and has been on this. There is no valid excuse for this level of ineptitude and yet we have next to no recourse as you correctly point out. It really does require a change in law that the CRTC has been sitting on for close to a year now and recently punted further down the road. All of which perplexes me to no end.

You should be hearing from the team on further steps, please work with them if you have the stamina to continue. I have given them instructions to make it worth your while. Hopefully we can find a way forward together.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

dsoegiarto

join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Entire team

said by TSI Marc:

Hi dsoegiarto,

Way past my stamina a while back but I'm also sure by the time the dust settles all will be well.

I just can't seem to wrap around my head, the idea that TSI is being treated this way and there's nothing that can be done.

I do acknowledge and appreciate your support, but I will keep a vigilant eye for the next few days before I can update my review of the experience with TSI cable.

Review by thebaz 568 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Looking for reliable, high quality service at a great price. Teksavvy has you covered"
Bad "Line was broken underground, some problems getting online"
Overall "A love absolutely everything about teksavvy."

·NetTalk
·Acanac
I had a really difficult time getting online read: »[Cable] Why cant cogeco provide a temporary line? Please help

but these two new technicians came that were very friendly got a temporary line going and I am finely up and running. All the technicians came on time. I am positive if you have a line that is not broken, you will get the service up the day it says you will.

The modem I received was great, on the correct firmware and everything. I was so happy when all those lights turned on.

Teksavvy is so good for gaming, I receive half the ping that I got on bell and acanac and around 30 less then I get on cogeco. The internet never went down yet, and also the second those modem lights turned on I got the 20/10 speed right away. The monthly priced is great.

I love the My account page on teksavvy, it is really useful, but quick question, how long will it take for the data to appear after I used it. Also I wish it showed the data I used during my unlimited data period (2am to 8am) so I know that everything is going well.

I highly recommend teksavvy to everyone, it is great. I am happier then ever.

Thanks teksavvy for providing a reasonably priced high speed internet service.

+1 to Teksavvy

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

2 edits

Response.

Hi There!

To answer your question- it populates the next day and logs end at midnight.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. We always love feedback, your words are really appreciated. We want to make sure you are always a happy customer so if you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us anytime!

Have a great rest of your weekend,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by Raz8988 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Fantastic customer service. Great tech support. Never had down time!"
Bad "Reliance on vendors"
Overall "Perfect value, friendly and knowledgable staff. Amazing community involvement. "

It's been awhile since we actually ordered the service, so I can't speak to the original install - however, we just recently moved and everything went almost perfectly. The only snag was a minor glitch in dates where my internet was turned off a day early but hey, if we can't survive one day without internet there's a bit of a problem.

My speeds only suffer when my router is being *special* (the word I'd like to use for it cannot be uttered in polite company). Otherwise, I have perfect speeds, and have yet to have a single non-router related minute of downtime (with the 1 day move glitch aside).

I find their customer service and tech support agents are always friendly, and for the most part knowledgeable about their jobs. We are technically on a 300GB capped package HOWEVER we use Zap The Cap and we have unlimited for the small sacrifice of a 4 hour speed downgrade. Did I mention this service is free? How many companies do you know that give their customers free stuff that's actually useful?!

What i love is how transparent they are. the CEO and directors have a very well established presence on this site and others and to me, that means a lot. Most CEO's are to busy to care about their customers, to actually care enough to take time out of their own days to actually sit down and talk. The fact that their CEO does says a lot about how much this company and his customers mean to him. It's awesome.

The only really bad thing I can say is the fact that they have to rely on vendors. This isn't entirely fair either since its not as if TekSavvy really has a choice in the matter (yey monopolies!) but it is what it is. We went with TekSavvy knowing that they were a third party and that meant probably having to deal with some delays and other issues. Still, all this aside, I'd recommend them a thousand times over. We just got my parents to switch to Teksavvy Cable and TekTalk after almost 15 years with Bell.

Keep it up TekSavvy - and keep fighting the good fight!

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the awesome review!

Thanks for you positive comments. It's always great to hear how customer have enjoyed our services. We'll certainly pass on the good word internally.

Regards,