TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

·WIND Mobile
Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Thanks,

Stavros

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Review by eheyl See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Speed, no cap, support, everything"
Bad "nothing that I can find"
Overall "Best value for Cable Internet either in Toronto or Kitchener"

I was with Rogers and liked the service, but when my work really took off I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY switching to higher service tiers (which is not saying much) to avoid being dinged for overage. I'm in Kitchener and at the time TekSavvy wasn't available. In April, they became so, and I signed up. I figured that I may as well go with the highest level, which was Cable Extreme Pro and no bandwidth cap. I set it up, bought the modem (the SB5101) and waited a month (As per Rogers policy, which I'm sure wasn't necessary).

The date came. I got up, plugged the modem in as well as my router. PERFECTION. I get double the speed TSI advertises, no drops, no lag and fast uploads. I haven't needed technical support and regardless of when I call I can always get prompt courteous service. Literally 24/7 which is good because as we all know, Mr. Murphy (I swear if I find him, he's dead) doesn't respect nice 9-5 business hours). I never felt pressured when asking questions, I felt like they really cared. In fact, the sales rep tried to get me to go with a lower plan, but with my work, unlimited is best.

I love the fact that I'm not tied into a contract and that there are not a bunch of weird charges. I know to the penny how much I'm paying each month and I never have to worry about a bandwidth cap which means I can just get on with my work.

In short, if you're on the fence, don't be. Go with Teksavvy, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE: It's been around three years...and despite Rogers severely going down tonight, Tek got things up and running again. Their support for any issues has been great. The folks on the phone really do help and they're easy going enough that you can share an off color joke with them and get a laugh. Won't be leaving anytime soon!

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi eheyl,

Thank you for the years of support! We are always happy to receive feedback from our customers and we are looking forward to keep you on board for many more years!

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by ryuhosuke See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Great bang for your buck for cable and that is Unlimited"
Bad "a few glitches here and there mainly not there fault"
Overall "excellent service"

Switched after the UBB thing happened with PRIMUS!!!! and 1 month earlier so i decided to cancel and switched over. Great speed even though i was left in the dark for 5 days and had to tether through my iphone.

ordered the cable extreme pro with 15 mbp/1 mbp.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for the review. We certainly appreciate it.

Sorry to hear you were left in the dark but glad to hear it was only a one time thing only.

Review by krakdotz See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Never had a problem, very cost effective."
Bad "If there's a mistake with a change in your order during a busy season, be prepared for long downtime."
Overall "As far as Cogeco area goes for TPIA's TekSavvy is amazingly reliable and excellently priced."

Don't feel like writing a lot, DSLr keeps asking me to review something.

I moved from one apartment to another in 2013 during a Massive delay in TPIA communications with Cogeco. TekSavvy somehow sent the request to Cogeco as a transfer of service at the new address (meaning there would have had to be an active Cable service at the new address) rather than a new connection. Took 3 weeks for that to be rejected, and then 3 weeks for the install after it was corrected. That's the reason for the low install co-ord, otherwise love TekSavvy, was worth the small bit of tethering my smartphone for 6 weeks while waiting.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Your Review

Hi krakdotz,

Thank you for posting the review. We definitely did have some issues with some of our vendors in 2013 which caused some severe delays however fortunately, those delay issues no longer exist to the extreme they did back then.

Don't be shy to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Your Review

Hey Andre,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on a smartphone right now.

Thanks for the reply! Not looking for anything out of it, like I said in the review, just hoping dslr stops spamming me to review something. Sorry again about the low install score, I know it was extenuating circumstances for both the delay and the accident while processing, but if it was any higher it wouldn't be accurate to my most recent experience. Original install when I first became a customer was smooth by the way, a bit longer than what I expected because I didn't know what a tpia was, but the date the sales agent told me was the date the cogeco guy showed up. Unfortunate about that move, but I promise if I move again I'll update to reflect the most recent experience.

Review by c_gadfly See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "saved from the Bell"
Overall "best experience ever - you will not regret it (until Rogers makes you regret it)"

-edit- originally from February 2011

Signed up for 10/0.5 and speedtests so far show 15/0.5. Bought DOCSIS 3.0 modem SB6120 for $99.

Saves me from Bell DSL with its 2.5M speed. Even though I had a unlimited grandfathered plan with Bell.

Modem came in 2 days. Had to wait for Rogers tech to come give his blessing. Before the tech visit, the modem showed bonding to downstream channels but no IP address. As soon as he "finished" his work presumably by letting Rogers know that the job is finished, the modem got an IP address. All he did was add a splitter near the cable modem and checked the signal strength. I wish TekSavvy would clarify that part about when exactly is the modem activated and by whom (in my case it was after the Rogers Tech visit was officially over).

-edit- August 2013 - prime time congestion, fiber cuts, botched ATPIA migration has made me change my review slightly towards the downside.

member for 6.1 years, 1023 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello C-Gadfly,

Thank you for this review. I’m happy you have been enjoying the service and that the installation had gone smoothly for you. This is great to read. When placing an order we do inform the customers that the service can take up to midnight to be activated this gives our vendor enough time to complete the work order and ensure everything is connected for our customers.

Are you currently having a service issue? I see in your update you have mentioned that congestion, fibre cuts and the migration have made you change your TekSavvy rating.
If there is anything we can look into for you please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this review.

Review by jibby See Profile

Good "Good value if/when it works"
Bad "installation went a bit rocky, had long term congestion"
Overall "good value and customer service"

My review got quite long so i figured I'd replace it with a cliffs notes version:

Install was rocky, and i had congestion issues that lasted for 9+ months. Teksavvy did their best to keep submitting tickets which Rogers would constantly close with 'modem online' which was very frustrating.

Teksavvy made a great effort to keep me happy, even went as far as sending me a new Teksavvy hat after i threw mine away in frustration during the troubles. Customer service was excellent, although i felt like their hands were tied as there seemed to be no escalation process with Rogers so it was and endless loop of open/close tickets. The only thing that kept me with Teksavvy is their earnest desire to try to help - even when they were at the mercy of the incumbents.

Eventually Rogers upgraded the CMTS on my node (although they never admitted to any problems beforehand) and for the last year or so, my connection has been rock solid and I've been very happy...

Until the last few weeks, when packet loss (up to 50% loss) started and now I'm dreading the rather lengthy process of opening a ticket and hoping Rogers actually tries to fix the problem rather than just close my ticket because my modem is still online.

Although I've always been happy with Teksavvy and their customer service, in my opinion Rogers provides them with sub-par tools to troubleshoot, and to open a ticket one must go through an insane amount of tedious, mostly pointless form-filling which will most likely be ignored when (IF?) Rogers actually looks at the ticket.

I'm hoping that it doesn't take weeks or even months of tickets before this issue is resolved, like it did the last time. I'm not going to wait months again for a fix - if it isn't resolved quickly, I'll unfortunately have to switch back to an incumbent who can address issues in a more timely manner.

Fingers crossed - will update my review if/when there is a resolution.

member for 6.3 years, 2315 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the Update

Glad to see thing got sorted out & you are still going strong.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Re: review

Hello jibby,

We are working with our vendor to have this issue resolved. We have originally opened a Slow speeds ticket. Our vendor responded stating that there is a Signal issue and to resubmit a ticket. We have done so. We are now awaiting a response to the latest ticket that was submitted earlier today.

As soon as we have an update we will let you know via our ticket status updates.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by motomandd See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great speeds, Great Price, Great Service!"
Bad "Ping times a little high."
Overall "Great Value for your money! Unlimited Prices a bit high, but never go over anyway."

***Note*** I'm with the Cable services in Quebec who uses Videotron as an Incumbent.

Ordered the Cable 60 300GB @ $79,95/Month on the 21st of March, Got installed on the 4th of April.

Tech was great, Installed in 20 minutes, cracking jokes and making everything nice and tidy with the cabling.

Am using a DCM475 with a TP-Link WR1043ND, Making everything run nice and smoothly, always at 60 down 10 up.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2949227624

UPDATE 3/21: Recently moved to another part of town, bringing my services with me. Minus the 3rd party videotron techs who refused to do the work until I called a number on their van and complained, It went great, and service is still extraordinary!

member for 1.4 years, 255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Motomandd,

Thank you for this fantastic review! I am very happy to see the installation went smoothly and the technician was tentative and thorough with your installation, it is also nice to see the technician was friendly with you. I am also very ecstatic to see the installation was completed rather quickly from ordering the service to installation. This is wonderful to see. Thank you for including the speedtest for your service in this review. The speeds you are receiving look fantastic!

Thanks again for this review and please keep us posted on your connection.
If you have any questions or concerns we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
motomandd

join:2013-03-04
Gatineau, QC
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Review

Hey Ashleigh!

My pleasure! I adore this connection, its pretty much perfect!

My only complaint is for some strange reason I cannot get the 120 down connnection, but strangely I can get it with Videotron. Any ideas?

Update!

Thanks for the update. Glad you are still lovin' it!

Review by BrianON See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Straight forward with fees and prices. Excellent value due to generous cap (300gb)."
Bad "They weren't available in my area until a few months ago."
Overall "They have plans that match my usage better than Bell or Rogers."

Used Bell for a few years followed by Rogers for several more. Both have now transitioned to having lower speed packages with tiny usage limits and large overage fees. The only option for more usage is moving to a higher tier package costing considerably more per month and even then caps can still be pretty meagre. While there are some non-advertised packages and discounts available it can be tiring trying to get them year after year.

I transferred from Rogers to Teksavvy using my existing modem (SB5100) that I had purchased from Rogers several years ago. About a day without access during the transfer. Since then I have had no disruptions.

The $28/month for 3mbs down and 256kbps up might seem slow compared to other packages but since it's just me it's not a problem. Netflix HD streams fine and web surfing is very fast thanks to Rogers' SpeedBoost. The 300gb cap is much more generous than what Rogers or Bell provides for the lower tier packages and overage fees are a lot less ($0.50/GB compared to $2.50 - $5.00 per GB).

Update: Price increased to $31/month which is a fairly large increase % wise but it seems to be a one time thing with tariff changes and not every year.

Update: Fall 2012 - some service disruptions so connection reliability has dropped a bit.

Update: March 2013 - After reading about some new proposed cable rates for aggregated I phoned in to upgrade from 3mbps to 6mbps. Same monthly price but a one time $5 fee for the change. Five minutes on the phone and a couple days latter the change went through.

Update: March 2014 - No connection problems for a long time so updated reliability score from 4 to 5.

member for 2.8 years, 731 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

response to review

Hi There,

Glad to see you are happy with the connection for the most part. Concerning the disconnections, if that issue persists please either PM myself, or message us in the direct forum and we'd be glad to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

Have a great day!
Liz

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for posting an update. I am glad the change went through quickly for you

Thanks for the update!!!

Review by RizzleQ See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
  • Install: about -9 days
Good "Quick and simple sign up; rock solid connection"
Overall "High quality, reliable service... what more could one ask for?"

·TekSavvy DSL
So, I used to be a Cogeco Cable Internet subscriber on the 30/1.5 package for several years. I was getting hammered with overage fees every single month due to the absurdly low usage caps Cogeco is all about, so I finally ditched them for TekSavvy's DSL in early 2012. My 6/0.8 DSL service was working fine for me until early 2013. There was some kind of congestion issue in the Windsor area causing crazy slow speeds. My understanding was that this issue was pretty much un-fixable at the time, but I stuck through it for a few months longer just waiting for TekSavvy Cable to come to Cogeco land. As soon as they went aggregated with Cogeco, I jumped on the 30/2 package as quickly as I could.

The sign up was fast and easy considering it was part of the Beta after they went aggregated, and hadn't began offering it to everyone quite yet. I got my DCM476 modem on 3/1/2013, well before the activation date, and connected it to my existing coax behind three splitters (Cogeco TV subscriber). A few hours later the Internet was already working at full speed. Cogeco provisioned my modem way before the activation date? Awesome!

The activation date 3/9/2013 rolls around and I spend all day at home getting nervous no one would show up as it got closer to the 5:00 PM deadline. Fortunately, the Cogeco tech does finally arrive... at 4:50 PM. He verifies the RF signal was good to the coax I had going behind those three splitters, replaces an F-connector on some other coax in my house for whatever reason, and leaves five minutes later.

Ever since then I have had a stable Cable Internet connection, just like it was when I was with Cogeco for all those years. However, the most important difference is NO MORE OVERAGE FEES!!

Now, I say stable in that my connection has yet to drop even once. Though, there was a bit of an issue I encountered only a couple months into the service. Slow speeds hit me again in Windsor. I assumed it couldn't possibly last for too long, but ended up eventually posting in a thread about it here: »Slow Cable Speeds in Windsor, ON

Less than 24 hours after I posted, TekSavvy's CEO, TSI Marc jumps in and saves the day. Additional capacity was turned up and speeds were phenomenal again. Lets fast forward another few months and I'm still getting a high performance and stable Internet connection. I'm lovin' it!

ANNUAL UPDATE (3/11/2014):

Around August or September of 2013, I noticed my upload speed go from 2 Mbps to 10 Mbps. This was part an official increase Cogeco was planning on doing which ended up affecting TPIA as well. TekSavvy has yet to update their website to reflect this change but I'm fine with that. It has been so many months now where I've had a stable and reliable 5x increase in my upload speed. Still lovin' it.

RizzleQ

member for 8.5 years, 900 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello RizzleQ,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m very happy you have enjoyed the service for many years now; DSL and now our Cable internet offering in your area. I’m very happy to see the installation went as planned and you’re receiving consistent speeds; and that you no longer have to worry about overages on your monthly billing statement. It is great knowing that your billing statement will be the same every month without extra bandwidth overage fee’s added.

I’m sorry to hear there was a brief period where you were receiving slower connection speed in the Windsor area, however am happy we were able to resolve it in a timely manner.

Please keep us updated on your TekSavvy Journey and if you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Good speed, caps, support, unlimited / cap-free overnight hours."
Bad "Depend on rogers for last mile. "
Overall "TSI is great."

·WIND Mobile
Feb 24, 2014
----------------
Still very happy. Service is rock solid last couple of months. The congestion issues I was concerned about last review have been resolved. I vaguely remember having a few outages in the fall but those issues seem to be behind us now. Very interested to see how the proposed peak time voluntary throttle in exchange unlimited service works out.

Aug 2, 2013
-----------------
Just switched to the 35/3 package with cap free over nights. Summer combined with more speed options seems to have caused noticeable node congestion during peak and mid peak times. (as low as 15 mbps on a 35 mbps connection). Nothing that cripples my connection but signs that Rogers needs to start a local infrastructure improvement strategy. Hopefully Teksavvy will push them that way as well. No outages (except the one required to upgrade my speed). Still happy and loyal to Teksavvy.

Jan 18, 2013
-------------------
I am very happy since I switched from TSI DSL 6 to TSI Cable 28/1 with a Docsis 3 Thomsm DCM 476. Direct support on the forums was great for presales info and the process went exactly as described. I had considered the 18 package but for 5 bucks more I couldn't say no. Install tech was efficient, friendly and on time. There were a few outages when I first signed up but that was related to upgrades Rogers was making in the area. It's been rock solid since September. I wouldn't be with any other company.

member for 11.3 years, 1572 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Thanks!

Hi graniterock,

Thanks for the review! Glad you found our staff helpful and that everything went well. Happy to hear that the kinks from the beginning have been resolved since September. If there's ever anything you need us for you know where you can find us .

TSI Jonathan
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hey graniterock,

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to see that you're still happy with the service! In regards to the congestion issues, it's something that both ourselves and our vendor are aware of. They have confirmed that they are working on resolving these issues along with completing the ATPIA upgrades. Unfortunately since this is more of routine maintenance than the APTPIA upgrades, we have no ETA as to when this will be completed. This is also partially dependent on the DOCSIS 2 modems many customers are using. Although they are still capable of using these modems any new sign ups, upgrades to a higher tier speed or a move to a new location will require a DOCSIS 3 modem which puts less strain on the infrastructure it's self. Unfortunately this is not a instant remedy that will cause the congestion to go away, but it will in time have quite an impact on the congestion issues you see today.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post in the DM!

Regards,
Jon

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Re: Feb 24 update

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying our service! The peak time throttling is not yet in place. We currently have no ETA on when this will be implemented.

Thank you for your update!
Regards,
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork