TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by rob1114 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "300 GB+ caps, not throttled, price"
Bad "Odd dip in speed"
Overall "happy with Teksavvy"

Was with Rogers, dumped them when I moved out of my apartment and into my new home. Teksavvy has been a great ISP so far, I would recommend them to anyone. Price is reasonable, I don't have to worry about hitting my 300 GB monthly bandwidth cap like I used to with Rogers (a paltry 60gb) trust me it was a constant headache and worry and I wasn't ready to pay 100+ for Internet service every month for the higher packages. What a refreshing experience to download without being throttled like Rogers does.

So far so good since signing up with them in January 2012. As a result, I'd use these guys over Rogers any day.

Update June 9 / 12

Still very happy with these guys. I am getting better speeds now than when I joined in January. I am located in Kanata, Ontario.
High def YouTube videos are now streaming properly, this was an issue until mid-April or so. Playing online multiplayer games like COD MW3 used to be problematic when I was with Rogers due to throttling, unforgivable in my opinion. No issues when playing now, smooth and quick multiplayer gaming experience. Also, I see that some people here are having issues with their speeds due to congestion at the local switch. I'm assuming that if Teksavvy customers experience this, Rogers customers must be experiencing this as well. I also REALLY REALLY appreciate getting slightly better connection speeds than expected when I run speed tests at speedtest.net.

This ISP provides a great alternative to the other guys.

Update May 8 /14

Ok, so we're having some connection speed issues. I am on the 25/2 package and was on the 35/3. I had to drop the 35/3 package after a few months because I was not getting anything near the 35 download - but the 3 upload was fine.

Typical download speed test results were on average in the 22-26mbps range on the 35/3 package. Not what I was paying for, and a hair below the 25/2 package.

Downgraded back to 25/2, and now I am experiencing a mix of speed test results -12,14,16,18,21 mbps on speedtest.net; Upload speed 1.5, 1.75, occasionally 2.

Now, I do not believe that this is Teksavvy causing the slowdowns. I cannot prove, but I would strongly suggest that Rogers is behind the slowdowns. The people keying in the speeds must be asleep at the wheel and are mistyping the speeds. Lets just leave it at that, you can determine what I am getting at.

Anyhow, I have called support a few times and have informed the tech that I know what I am talking about. It's almost pointless to troubleshoot a speed issue when you are running the test on an i5 with 16 gb of RAM connected via ethernet cable to an Asus RT-n65 router on a dcm475 docsis 3 modem.

Pulling a full 25 mbps is peanuts for this equipment, it's nowhere near capacity.

Anyhow, this is unnaceptable because I am not getting what I am paying for. It is also unnaceptable because Kanata, Ontario is a lot like Waterloo where we have a lot of high tech here, including cisco, and I am experiencing these types of speeds. I live in a brand new development a 5 minute drive from these companies and I rarely, if ever get the speeds that I am paying for.

I would assume that my neighbors who have Rogers high speed are not experiencing these issues. My next step could be to ask my neighbors who use Rogers (townhomes, we are connected at the wall and use the same panel) to perform a speedtest.net test, and I will run my own and post the results here. I want to know first hand if I am being shafted because I am a teksavvy customer.

I am pretty annoyed. All in all though, Teksavvy is a fair company, they seem to have the best interests of their customers at heart. I will continue to use their service for now, but will keep cringing when I run those speed tests.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

"Very happy with Teksavvy"

Thank you for the review. We're glad you're happy with us. Welcome to the family!

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Rob1114,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear that you are having a speed issue. I have attempted to locate your TekSavvy account with your handle however it doesn't look like you have spoken to the online team prior for assistance.

We would certainly like to investigate your connection and diagnose if you are having a service issue that is attributing to a slower connection. Please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information so we can assist you further.

Thank you again for the review.

TSI-Ashleigh
rob1114

join:2012-04-08
Kanata, ON

Re: updated review

Hi Ashleigh,

Will do, thanks very much for the follow-up.

Review by jkelso_1 See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Good "Was good while it lasted. Consistent speed whenever I tested."
Bad "Horrible tech support by email."
Overall "I stopped using them for a while but came back via DSL, Bypass Rogers :)"

·Acanac
I will start by saying I have had Teksavvy for a few years now with minimal disruption to service. Being down when the whole region is having issues is acceptable.

I had the TekSavvy Extreme Cable 28 which doesn't show on their site anymore. Closest comparable would be the Cable 25 which is $7 + tax cheaper.

Order and install was easy. The techs who did the install found a bad connection from my house to Rogers and fixed it. Outside of my house at the pole.

Modem is Thomson DCM 475

Not so any more. For weeks now I have had intermittent issues. The modem reboots. First step for me was to reboot the modem manually which did not fix anything. I then checked Teksavvy site and found they had issues with cable in my area so I did not call or open my own ticket.

After a few more days, I checked the Teksavvy site and my area was cleared. I did a factory reset which didn't fix it so I emailed tech support and began a six day eight tech journey of frustration with their first level support.

"What are the lights doing on the modem?"

Power solid
DS solid
US Slow blink
online solid link flickering

"That looks like it could be an RF problem. If possible could you please log into that modem, you can do so by typing 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. Once in the Thompson configuration page you can click on diagnostics on the left. Once your on the diagnostic page, can you take a screen shot of that?

This way we will be able to see what the problem is with the modem and get the service restored for you if it is In fact an RF (Radio Frequency)"

I sent the screen shot and added the event log for good measure which showed multiple events. No ranging response received, DHCP warnings , re-initializing etc...
Screen shot of events attached.

I eventually did my homework and found what those errors mean here »volpefirm.com/docsis_timout_descriptions/

They kept insisting I take a screen shot while I was experiencing the issue. I never did figure out how to take a screen shot "while the modem was rebooting"

"Your logs do show us what may be wrong but logs alone do not confirm your issue. Your signal levels do look in spec but because your issue is intermittent, we need tests done while you have the problem. Please provide new signal levels and the information below when you are experiencing the issue."

I warned them if this was not resolved before next billing cycle I was gone. They had a week left.

I finally got to the next level of support where they say they opened a ticket with Rogers. Apparently I didn't really reboot the modem when I unplugged it, even though one of the times I left it unplugged for 30 minutes.

"Update: We have received an update from the vendor and they require additional information.
Next Steps: Our vendor confirmed that your modem was not power cycled, we need to ensure this has been completed before we can proceed with opening a repair ticket. Please disconnect the power from your modem for 30 seconds and reconnect. Please let us know if this resolves your issue or if it continues to persist and we will follow-up with our vendor for a dispatch."

I reboot it again and got this reply.

"Thank you for the reply. I would suggest to give it a few days just to be sure."

Ultimately, I got this from them. Again, insisting I get a screenshot while it is rebooting.

"At this point Rogers has closed the ticket and it will not be re-opened until we have information from your connection that show an issue. So far the modem's diagnostic information that you sent do not show any signal/power issues. Also, the IP Config information showed that your computer had a public IP address that would only be obtained if the connection was functioning fine. Due to the intermittent nature of the issue, we have not been able to get the information require by Rogers to send a repair ticket.

At this point the best option we have to get the issue repaired is to complete the troubleshooting template that Rogers has us fill out. We need to "catch" the issue when you are experiencing connection problems. Rogers WILL NOT open a repair ticket without a completed troubleshooting template and will most likely reject any tickets sent with no problems found on the line. This is why we requested your IP information after you sent the modem's diagnostic information because there were no issues for us to open a ticket with."

I did at some point through this ordeal mention that there had been corrosion that the install techs had found on the original install but this fell on deaf ears. they were too focused on the script they follow.

"While I understand your frustration, I'm not sure you completely understand our process for dealing with issues like this. In case you were not aware, we are a reseller of services provided by the Rogers' network. This means that A) we don't have access to your modem to see stats or event logs, B) we do not have our own techs that we can just dispatch out to resolve the issue C) Most of the technical support staff here at Teksavvy are trained to look at a problem from this type of perspective, so we're quite persistent on getting the information needed to move forward with submitting a repair ticket."

They can blame Rogers all they like, I was paying Teksavvy.

Update May 3, While the experience above made me furious I have changed my rating.

I found the two options Keith gave me to correct this to be well worth trying but did not accept because I had already booked an install with another provider and was eagerly anticipating IPTV. My goal was to be able to give Rogers the heave ho. I am 99% sure my issue was Rogers based and not my modem.

When the other provider failed to provide I contacted Keith to check if the offer was still open.

I believe Keith's handling of this supersedes the mishandled email support I experienced.

Thank you Keith.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I do see that your cancellation order has already been placed so I won't really be able to offer any assistance here. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulty you had. Not only with the service issues, but with reporting the issue and getting a ticket submitted for you. These interactions are being reviewed and will be used as a learning experience to improve ourselves and attempt to avoid situation like this in the future.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
jkelso_1

join:2009-10-01
Newmarket, ON

Re: Your Review

I accept your apology.

Thank you for the generous offer but we cannot come back. We have already paid for service elsewhere.

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

sorry I missed you

Hello again,

I had just tried to call you and left a voice mail. We'd like to see if there's anything we can do to keep you on board and make you a happy customer again here. I've sent you a PM including my personal email here. I would love to hear from you either in response to what I have offered or as a means of providing additional feedback.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by BGB See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Install went smoothly"
Bad "None at this point in time"
Overall "When things go smoothly it works well"

Unlike some of the reviews out there, my install went smoothly. The day I discovered it was available in my area, and i confirmed it was not a error in the postal code db by a TekSavvy Employe, I registered for the service. Several days later, I received my SB 6120 modem, and my installation date. The Rogers tech came during the time slot registered, and had me up and running in under 10 mins. Other than the order confirmation and the installation date, I did not get any other communication from TekSavvy. The service has been running smoothly since the install, with me getting full speed (45/4) not only during off peak hours, but during peak hours as well.

Update 5/03/2014: Updated to reflect newer speeds and the fact I switched from a unlimited to capped 300GB plan (Which it is still generous compared to the incumbents.) Still quite happy with the service so far.

member for 5.4 years, 1980 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for your review

Thanks for taking the time to review our services. Glad to hear everything went smoothly with your install & that the service has been working as expected.

Enjoy your service.

Review by Bugblndr See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Always up, always full speed, fast install"
Bad "None thus far"
Overall "Bigger cap and a cheaper price than Cogeco"

·TekSavvy DSL
I've had 20/2 service for over a month now on Cogeco. Ordered during the beta on a Monday, received my modem on the Tuesday, plugged it in and it was working immediately, even though the install date was still 10 days away.

I've had zero downtime and always my full speed since day 1.

Update: Full speed continues to be in effect 24/7. Instead of 2 Mb up, I've been increased to 10 Mb up, all at the same price as before.

member for 4.8 years, 2133 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty
join:2012-11-22

Your Review

Thank you for your review.

Its great to hear that your beta service is going better than you expected and with little/no downtime is always great.

We hope that you continue enjoying the services and appreciate your feedback on the Beta services.

Review by rjs65 See Profile

• Location: Dresden,ON

Order the Up to 10 Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up at 37.95/month. I am not a heavy user. Mostly use it to stream NHL Game Center on my playstation3 and run TekTalk Service

Using the DCM476 modem, Grandstream 505 ATA and a WD router. everything works great. Very happy

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Review

Hello Rjs65,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see you have the service with no issue. This is great to see. If you have any further questions please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

brad82

@cgocable.net

horribly service

Teksavvy is the worst company to deal with there in is crap allways drops from day one called for a month they keept giving me the run around until the 30 days are up then they said they will have to send a bell tech out at a cost to me of 90 dollars I would not recommend this company to nobody I am allso canceling my service or shold I say what service if you can go to another company tekssvvy customer service sucks

Re: horribly service

Hello Brad,

Thank you for your comments. I have attempted to locate your account with your handle however it doesn't seem that you have spoken to us prior.

We most certainly would like to investigate your account please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information.

lies

@24.141.96.x

Re: horribly service

I got my inter net in December I call and call and called the month come up after I got scrowed around the conveniently you guys said the same thing there no report of you calling but we can send a bell guy out for 90 buck at your cost my internet to this day it the most garbage I jabe ever had has soon ass I get extra money im going to a company that actually cares about customer service and I tell ever body I noe to never deal with teksavvy cuz there is nothing but problems y

cable_custom

@teksavvy.com

couple of months low speed, disconnect - no useful service at all

Please check support call log for account CID125176.

The internet speed is low. I got disconnected couple of times in last couple of month.

Support calls are useless.

Just 10 minutes ago (Friday April 25 2014 8:15pm the customer service agent hung up the phone (or hopefully it was dropped) with no result.

Review by lurg1975 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great customer service, good value compared to most companies"
Bad "Having to use a different company to install (sometimes a disconnect between the two)"
Overall "If all goes well- a great choice"

A rough start at first but mostly due to poor testing by the installers who were not Teksavvy employees (and that's unavoidable at this point). After a few weeks of back and forth (and 3 technicians sent out) it was determined that the brand new Thompson DCM476 was at fault. After voicing my frustration to Teksavvy management, I was taken care of extremely well, and a new modem was shipped out to me to arrive the next day. Since then everything has been perfect- their service team has contacted me daily (sometimes more than once to check up) and the service itself has been without issue. Very glad I made the choice to use Teksavvy!

Comments:

TSI Martin

Hello lurg1975 See Profile,

Thank you for your review. I agree that the installation may have been worrisome, but at the end of the day, we are here to work with you to get issues resolved.

We are glad to hear all is now good for you & you are happy with our service.

If you require any additional assistance, feel free to contact us anytime.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by dan_n256 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Great value! good speeds and good serive "
Bad "Had a few hickups with connection. overall very stable "
Overall "If you are shopping for internet teksavvy should be the one to get"

Ordered unlimited package two years ago, plans have changed since then. first plan I was with I was paying $60 a month for 28megabit unlimited I went to 45megabit 300gb capped which costs $56.

the change only took two days to complete. I average 200gb per month so I am ok with bandwidth. my connection went down a couple of times over the past two years it was only down for a little while. speeds have always been great as advertised. the bottom line is teksavvy is a really good isp. maybe the only thing I would like to see is 45megabit connection with unlimited bandwidth for around the same price im paying right now.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Review

Hello Dan_n256,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see that you have been enjoying your service for a few years with minimal issue. This is wonderful to see. I am also happy to see you were able to upgrade into our newly introduced Cable speed once it was introduced.

If you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help you.

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Bandwidth."
Bad "Depends on Rogers."
Overall "If it works for you, then it's worth it."

Had ups and downs but overall, I am satisfied with Teksavvy Internet Cable. Currently on 25/2 plan with 300gb.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Erfan,

I see the review says there was an update, but it doesn't show anything since October 2012. I also see that there is no communication with you since Sept 2012. Was there something we can do to help?

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Erfans,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to see you are still enjoying the service. This is great to see. Reading through the other comments on this review I see there were a few issues with your phone service; I do regret to see this but am happy TSI-Martin was able to assist and ensure everything was corrected for you while the issue was occurring.

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review and have a great night!!

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by Max See Profile

• Location: Saint-Felicien,QC
Good "Best pricing in the market; excellent performance and reliability so far."
Bad "Inconsistent tech support with quite long waiting times."
Overall "Awesome price and reliability. However, having experienced tech support, I hope i won't ever have issues..."

So far, my experience with Teksavvy is great, except for a very bad case of tech support (which ended well). Let's put that aside right now: so far, TekSavvy's big flaw seems to be the tech support: when the Videotron guy came to activate the cable, he had to install a new cable, and while doing so, drilled right through our Satellite TV cable. We only noticed after he was gone. Anyways, calling at TekSavvy to enquire what to do about this situation led me to many different (often contradicting) answers. It ended with a supervisor who obviously had a bad day and completely refused to listen to anything I would say, interrupting me many times; he was very condescending and insulting during the whole conversation. That was by far my worst customer service experience ever. The only reason why I rated the support 25% instead of 0% is that despite this, most people actually looked like they were honestly trying their best to help me with this special situation.

Anyways, I got lucky and the guy from the satellite TV repaired the cable for free. However, despite spending hours talking to support (and even accounting) about this, I still have no idea about what I should have done if the satellite company charged me for the repair. Oh, and the wait time before talking to someone averaged 45 mins, which is quite long.

Ok, enough with the bad. Other than that very bad experience, I haven't had a single downtime yet (in over 60 days). The many speed tests I did over this time show that I have a very consistent 20/10 internet, which is exactly what I am paying for. At only 39,95$/month (+tax) for this, with a 150GB monthly bandwidth (unlimited during the night), that's by far the best package I could get here, at over 150km away from any city with a population over 50 000. Interesting thing: my ping is better here than the one I had with another cable ISP while I lived in a 120 000 population city much closer to the main internet backbone.

In conclusion, so far, I had no major issue, so everything is perfect. However, I do admit that I am a bit scared of what will happen if someday I do have serious issues...

2014-04-10 UPDATE

About 7 months with TekSavvy now, and I must say: this has to be the most reliable internet I've had so far. Since we got it working on day 1, I spent many (too many!) hours using internet, and I didn't notice a single minute of downtime. Only once I got a drop in speed (from 20Mbps to 1,5 Mbps!). However, I think that drop was caused by the cable modem getting lazy or something, since everything went back to perfect as soon as I rebooted it.

As you may guess, I did not have to communicate with the tech support, so I can't say if things got better over there. I have to mention that since the time of my original review, my 150Gb 20/10 package's price rose up to 42,95$/month (+tax). Still a great value, as long as price increases such as this one are a rare occurrence.

P.S. could some moderator remove the comment from Toddy? I don't see why he would post it under my review...

Comments:

Flux

join:2013-07-10
canada

Bad day an excuse?

Woah, that's rather disturbing about the manager; I'm sure one of the online managers here will want to hear more so they can look into it.

Your Review

Thanks for taking the time for posting your review.

If you could please send me a PM with your account information I like to take a look & investigate the call with the manager. We certainly don't want our customers to feel that way & sometimes even seasoned agents may need some coaching.

That said, Once again, thanks for you review,

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Toddy

@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. Dont use them.

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. My internet keeps dropping out, is very slow and often does not work for days. I have spent more than 40~50 hours on the phone with them, changed modems ($100)and I am still having issues. They refuse to send a technician at any cost. When I finally had them say they'd send one, they changed their minds the next day saying the problem was fixed, but is not. If you call tech support they are constanly having servive outages across Ontario. There is not a single day where they do not have service outages. They try to blame this on Rogers infrastructure but I know people in my area who's Rogers service is fine. They are apathetic and a terrible ISP. Just awful service. I have been with them now for a couple years and it has been a non-stop technical disaster. I have not had a 2 month period where I dont have to be calling their hapless and sometimes rude tech support. I have rebooted, tested and done tech support for them now ever since signing up. Enough is enough.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Max,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear that you are still enjoying your internet with minimal issues with the service. In regards to price increases they only occur when the vendor requests these types of increases. Other than that we don’t change our prices.
Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any questions or concerns please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

PissedCanada

@175.156.249.x

-1 recommendation

Re: Updated Review

Are you using pre-written messages? Did you actually read the message just above yours that stated the horrid, pathetic state of affairs in your company?

Teksavvy sucks. The service is terrible. The connection is terrible.

Now let's see your respond with your pat message. Thank me for my review. Go ahead.
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada

Re: Updated Review

The OP updated the review he wasn't responding to the commenter from 2013.

Edit: Removed vulgar.

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

·WIND Mobile
Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Thanks,

Stavros

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Cheers,