TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by BGB See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Install went smoothly"
Bad "None at this point in time"
Overall "When things go smoothly it works well"

Unlike some of the reviews out there, my install went smoothly. The day I discovered it was available in my area, and i confirmed it was not a error in the postal code db by a TekSavvy Employe, I registered for the service. Several days later, I received my SB 6120 modem, and my installation date. The Rogers tech came during the time slot registered, and had me up and running in under 10 mins. Other than the order confirmation and the installation date, I did not get any other communication from TekSavvy. The service has been running smoothly since the install, with me getting full speed (45/4) not only during off peak hours, but during peak hours as well.

Update 5/03/2014: Updated to reflect newer speeds and the fact I switched from a unlimited to capped 300GB plan (Which it is still generous compared to the incumbents.) Still quite happy with the service so far.

member for 5.3 years, 1952 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for your review

Thanks for taking the time to review our services. Glad to hear everything went smoothly with your install & that the service has been working as expected.

Enjoy your service.

Review by Bugblndr See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Always up, always full speed, fast install"
Bad "None thus far"
Overall "Bigger cap and a cheaper price than Cogeco"

·TekSavvy DSL
I've had 20/2 service for over a month now on Cogeco. Ordered during the beta on a Monday, received my modem on the Tuesday, plugged it in and it was working immediately, even though the install date was still 10 days away.

I've had zero downtime and always my full speed since day 1.

Update: Full speed continues to be in effect 24/7. Instead of 2 Mb up, I've been increased to 10 Mb up, all at the same price as before.

member for 4.7 years, 2104 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty
join:2012-11-22

Your Review

Thank you for your review.

Its great to hear that your beta service is going better than you expected and with little/no downtime is always great.

We hope that you continue enjoying the services and appreciate your feedback on the Beta services.

Review by matmat09 See Profile

• Location: Vanier,ON
Good "Best price and best service "
Overall "The best Canadian ISP by far"

You can't beet teksavvy. Best price unmatched service. If your tired of paying high bills and not getting what you pay for like we were then you will be very happy with teksavvy prices. Never had a problem never had the internet dropped and i can now easily host any games with the guys which was impossible when we had bell. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for you review

Very happy to hear you have been a satisfied customers.

If you ever have any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Review by rjs65 See Profile

• Location: Dresden,ON

Order the Up to 10 Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up at 37.95/month. I am not a heavy user. Mostly use it to stream NHL Game Center on my playstation3 and run TekTalk Service

Using the DCM476 modem, Grandstream 505 ATA and a WD router. everything works great. Very happy

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Rjs65,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see you have the service with no issue. This is great to see. If you have any further questions please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

brad82

@cgocable.net

horribly service

Teksavvy is the worst company to deal with there in is crap allways drops from day one called for a month they keept giving me the run around until the 30 days are up then they said they will have to send a bell tech out at a cost to me of 90 dollars I would not recommend this company to nobody I am allso canceling my service or shold I say what service if you can go to another company tekssvvy customer service sucks

Re: horribly service

Hello Brad,

Thank you for your comments. I have attempted to locate your account with your handle however it doesn't seem that you have spoken to us prior.

We most certainly would like to investigate your account please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct with your account information.

lies

@24.141.96.x

Re: horribly service

I got my inter net in December I call and call and called the month come up after I got scrowed around the conveniently you guys said the same thing there no report of you calling but we can send a bell guy out for 90 buck at your cost my internet to this day it the most garbage I jabe ever had has soon ass I get extra money im going to a company that actually cares about customer service and I tell ever body I noe to never deal with teksavvy cuz there is nothing but problems y

cable_custom

@teksavvy.com

couple of months low speed, disconnect - no useful service at all

Please check support call log for account CID125176.

The internet speed is low. I got disconnected couple of times in last couple of month.

Support calls are useless.

Just 10 minutes ago (Friday April 25 2014 8:15pm the customer service agent hung up the phone (or hopefully it was dropped) with no result.

Review by lurg1975 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great customer service, good value compared to most companies"
Bad "Having to use a different company to install (sometimes a disconnect between the two)"
Overall "If all goes well- a great choice"

A rough start at first but mostly due to poor testing by the installers who were not Teksavvy employees (and that's unavoidable at this point). After a few weeks of back and forth (and 3 technicians sent out) it was determined that the brand new Thompson DCM476 was at fault. After voicing my frustration to Teksavvy management, I was taken care of extremely well, and a new modem was shipped out to me to arrive the next day. Since then everything has been perfect- their service team has contacted me daily (sometimes more than once to check up) and the service itself has been without issue. Very glad I made the choice to use Teksavvy!

Comments:

TSI Martin

Hello lurg1975 See Profile,

Thank you for your review. I agree that the installation may have been worrisome, but at the end of the day, we are here to work with you to get issues resolved.

We are glad to hear all is now good for you & you are happy with our service.

If you require any additional assistance, feel free to contact us anytime.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by dan_n256 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Great value! good speeds and good serive "
Bad "Had a few hickups with connection. overall very stable "
Overall "If you are shopping for internet teksavvy should be the one to get"

Ordered unlimited package two years ago, plans have changed since then. first plan I was with I was paying $60 a month for 28megabit unlimited I went to 45megabit 300gb capped which costs $56.

the change only took two days to complete. I average 200gb per month so I am ok with bandwidth. my connection went down a couple of times over the past two years it was only down for a little while. speeds have always been great as advertised. the bottom line is teksavvy is a really good isp. maybe the only thing I would like to see is 45megabit connection with unlimited bandwidth for around the same price im paying right now.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Dan_n256,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see that you have been enjoying your service for a few years with minimal issue. This is wonderful to see. I am also happy to see you were able to upgrade into our newly introduced Cable speed once it was introduced.

If you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help you.

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Bandwidth."
Bad "Depends on Rogers."
Overall "If it works for you, then it's worth it."

Had ups and downs but overall, I am satisfied with Teksavvy Internet Cable. Currently on 25/2 plan with 300gb.

member for 6.1 years, 895 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Erfan,

I see the review says there was an update, but it doesn't show anything since October 2012. I also see that there is no communication with you since Sept 2012. Was there something we can do to help?

Thanks,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Erfans,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to see you are still enjoying the service. This is great to see. Reading through the other comments on this review I see there were a few issues with your phone service; I do regret to see this but am happy TSI-Martin was able to assist and ensure everything was corrected for you while the issue was occurring.

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review and have a great night!!

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by Max See Profile

• Location: Saint-Felicien,QC
Good "Best pricing in the market; excellent performance and reliability so far."
Bad "Inconsistent tech support with quite long waiting times."
Overall "Awesome price and reliability. However, having experienced tech support, I hope i won't ever have issues..."

So far, my experience with Teksavvy is great, except for a very bad case of tech support (which ended well). Let's put that aside right now: so far, TekSavvy's big flaw seems to be the tech support: when the Videotron guy came to activate the cable, he had to install a new cable, and while doing so, drilled right through our Satellite TV cable. We only noticed after he was gone. Anyways, calling at TekSavvy to enquire what to do about this situation led me to many different (often contradicting) answers. It ended with a supervisor who obviously had a bad day and completely refused to listen to anything I would say, interrupting me many times; he was very condescending and insulting during the whole conversation. That was by far my worst customer service experience ever. The only reason why I rated the support 25% instead of 0% is that despite this, most people actually looked like they were honestly trying their best to help me with this special situation.

Anyways, I got lucky and the guy from the satellite TV repaired the cable for free. However, despite spending hours talking to support (and even accounting) about this, I still have no idea about what I should have done if the satellite company charged me for the repair. Oh, and the wait time before talking to someone averaged 45 mins, which is quite long.

Ok, enough with the bad. Other than that very bad experience, I haven't had a single downtime yet (in over 60 days). The many speed tests I did over this time show that I have a very consistent 20/10 internet, which is exactly what I am paying for. At only 39,95$/month (+tax) for this, with a 150GB monthly bandwidth (unlimited during the night), that's by far the best package I could get here, at over 150km away from any city with a population over 50 000. Interesting thing: my ping is better here than the one I had with another cable ISP while I lived in a 120 000 population city much closer to the main internet backbone.

In conclusion, so far, I had no major issue, so everything is perfect. However, I do admit that I am a bit scared of what will happen if someday I do have serious issues...

2014-04-10 UPDATE

About 7 months with TekSavvy now, and I must say: this has to be the most reliable internet I've had so far. Since we got it working on day 1, I spent many (too many!) hours using internet, and I didn't notice a single minute of downtime. Only once I got a drop in speed (from 20Mbps to 1,5 Mbps!). However, I think that drop was caused by the cable modem getting lazy or something, since everything went back to perfect as soon as I rebooted it.

As you may guess, I did not have to communicate with the tech support, so I can't say if things got better over there. I have to mention that since the time of my original review, my 150Gb 20/10 package's price rose up to 42,95$/month (+tax). Still a great value, as long as price increases such as this one are a rare occurrence.

P.S. could some moderator remove the comment from Toddy? I don't see why he would post it under my review...

Comments:

Flux

join:2013-07-10
canada

Bad day an excuse?

Woah, that's rather disturbing about the manager; I'm sure one of the online managers here will want to hear more so they can look into it.

Your Review

Thanks for taking the time for posting your review.

If you could please send me a PM with your account information I like to take a look & investigate the call with the manager. We certainly don't want our customers to feel that way & sometimes even seasoned agents may need some coaching.

That said, Once again, thanks for you review,

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Toddy

@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. Dont use them.

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. My internet keeps dropping out, is very slow and often does not work for days. I have spent more than 40~50 hours on the phone with them, changed modems ($100)and I am still having issues. They refuse to send a technician at any cost. When I finally had them say they'd send one, they changed their minds the next day saying the problem was fixed, but is not. If you call tech support they are constanly having servive outages across Ontario. There is not a single day where they do not have service outages. They try to blame this on Rogers infrastructure but I know people in my area who's Rogers service is fine. They are apathetic and a terrible ISP. Just awful service. I have been with them now for a couple years and it has been a non-stop technical disaster. I have not had a 2 month period where I dont have to be calling their hapless and sometimes rude tech support. I have rebooted, tested and done tech support for them now ever since signing up. Enough is enough.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Max,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear that you are still enjoying your internet with minimal issues with the service. In regards to price increases they only occur when the vendor requests these types of increases. Other than that we don’t change our prices.
Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any questions or concerns please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

PissedCanada

@175.156.249.x

-1 recommendation

Re: Updated Review

Are you using pre-written messages? Did you actually read the message just above yours that stated the horrid, pathetic state of affairs in your company?

Teksavvy sucks. The service is terrible. The connection is terrible.

Now let's see your respond with your pat message. Thank me for my review. Go ahead.
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada

Re: Updated Review

The OP updated the review he wasn't responding to the commenter from 2013.

Edit: Removed vulgar.

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

·WIND Mobile
Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Thanks,

Stavros

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Cheers,

Andre

Review by eheyl See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Speed, no cap, support, everything"
Bad "nothing that I can find"
Overall "Best value for Cable Internet either in Toronto or Kitchener"

I was with Rogers and liked the service, but when my work really took off I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY switching to higher service tiers (which is not saying much) to avoid being dinged for overage. I'm in Kitchener and at the time TekSavvy wasn't available. In April, they became so, and I signed up. I figured that I may as well go with the highest level, which was Cable Extreme Pro and no bandwidth cap. I set it up, bought the modem (the SB5101) and waited a month (As per Rogers policy, which I'm sure wasn't necessary).

The date came. I got up, plugged the modem in as well as my router. PERFECTION. I get double the speed TSI advertises, no drops, no lag and fast uploads. I haven't needed technical support and regardless of when I call I can always get prompt courteous service. Literally 24/7 which is good because as we all know, Mr. Murphy (I swear if I find him, he's dead) doesn't respect nice 9-5 business hours). I never felt pressured when asking questions, I felt like they really cared. In fact, the sales rep tried to get me to go with a lower plan, but with my work, unlimited is best.

I love the fact that I'm not tied into a contract and that there are not a bunch of weird charges. I know to the penny how much I'm paying each month and I never have to worry about a bandwidth cap which means I can just get on with my work.

In short, if you're on the fence, don't be. Go with Teksavvy, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE: It's been around three years...and despite Rogers severely going down tonight, Tek got things up and running again. Their support for any issues has been great. The folks on the phone really do help and they're easy going enough that you can share an off color joke with them and get a laugh. Won't be leaving anytime soon!

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi eheyl,

Thank you for the years of support! We are always happy to receive feedback from our customers and we are looking forward to keep you on board for many more years!

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.