TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jmarlatt2 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Cheap, way better limits. Quick support."
Bad "not liked by the big 3?"
Overall "get it if you're sick of pathetic caps"

Signed up for teksavvy cable internet when it became available in Chatham. Ran the 14mb connection flawlessly until they switched to ATAPI, now on the 20mb profile. Looking to upgrade to the 60Mb profile once Cogeco can get their systems working correctly.

Picked up a DCM476 modem and it was activated before I got home and hooked it up. Cogeco had me on the wrong profile but a quick message to teksavvy and it was fixed.

Upgraded to 30mbps package a couple months ago and now Chatham has some severe congestion issues during peak hours. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi jmarlatt2,

Thank you for the great review . Glad you joined the family and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask any of us on here.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Hello Jmarlatt2,

Thank you for the updated review. We certainly do apologize for any congestion that you are noticing on the lines in Chatham. We are currently working with our vendor to have the congestion fixed in the Chatham area. We don’t have an ETA yet however are working on a speedy resolution for everyone.

If you have any other questions please feel free to send us a message through our Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by Boss429 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Been with Teksavvy for a year now and service has been rock-solid. Great value for the money."
Bad "They ride on top of Rogers so service issues can lead to finger-pointing."
Overall "I work in the tech sector and all the propellar-heads I know swear by these guys."

Cable 25 at $41.95/m plus tax - 300 GB usage, uploads don't count. Order process was easy and set up in a week. Roger's guy came by and terminated drop. I bolted on Teksavvy modem, which arrived via courier ahead of time, and away it went. No problems. I originally bought Cable 18 (no longer offered) but was consistently getting 25+ Mbps. I was on Bell DSL before and Teksavvy is cheaper and faster - what's not to like? Highly recommended.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 195 days ago

Comments:

TSI Keith

Hello Boss,

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear your experience thus far has been a positive one.

Don't forget, should any questions or concerns pop up, you can always reach us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or by clicking here and selecting DSLr from the "SUBMIT A REQUEST" drop down.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

Re: Your Review

Yup the propellar-heads go back to the very roots of Teksavvy. When they first started out pretty much all of the customer base were propellar-heads only. I've been with them for several years and their services have only been top notch, and reliable for me.
BHell... A Public Futility. When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.

Review by creed3020 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "$/Mbps, Exceptional usage limits, DOCSIS3 Modem, and a private Canadian company"
Bad "Phone queues are beyond acceptable so use another method like DSLR already!"
Overall "Great ISP working hard for their customers within a completely flawed Canadian regulatory environment"

Pre-Ordering: As a previous TekSavvy DSL customer I have been reading the TS forum here for well over a year so I had a really clear idea of the good and the bad when it comes to TS. I knew that with my move to Toronto that it would be a good time to upgrade myself from DSL to Cable. I am not a crazy downloader but appreciate the high caps so the 300GB plans work perfectly for me.

Ordering: I ordered over the phone and only waited 2 minutes to speak to an agent. They got all if my information recorded correctly and helped me to cancel my DSL. I ordered the TekSavvy Express Cable package with 10Mb download, 512Kb upload, and 300GB usage cap. After I called I forgot to asked one question and had to call back a second time. I wanted my new cable modem (SB6120) sent to my current address and not the new one. This request was handled well and I received the modem 4 business days later.

Installation: I set my activation date for Monday May 2nd as we moved in on the 1st. I received an automated call on the 1st which was awesome because it shows how they are already prepared for my install date. I had the option of rescheduling should I need to which I didn't. I originally choose a setup window of 8AM-11AM and the tech showed up at my place at 8:15AM which was awesome because I could show him around before leaving for work. He cleaned up the outside of the house because there were a million coaxial cables. He did not need to run a new line. I asked him to mark the line as a TPIA line and he said he would, though I was not able to confirm this was actually done as I had to leave.

Post Installation: Later in the day the lights activated correctly on the modem. The receive light lit up blue indicating downstream bonding which is awesome for my 10Mb profile. The service has been working well since activation, however, I have noticed what I believe is some congestion during peak hours, BUT, I want to test with a wired PC instead of over wireless before I make any solid judgement on that aspect of the service. With Speedboost I am seeing over 20Mbps.

I will update again once the first month is over.

UPDATE: I just moved to Kitchener and the install went very well. I was annoyed that Rogers had not upgraded the channel bonding in my area but low and behold on Thursday the connection dropped for a few minutes and we went from 4x1 to 8x2. I am looking forward to the smooth ride and with recent upgrades to the POI speeds are looking excellent.

UPDATE (Nov-25-2012): Speeds during peak periods are getting worse but the real issue is that my local node is overloaded and a D3 modem does not appear to be enough to overcome this. Pings are in excess of 300ms on average and experiencing anywhere from 0-10% packet loss. Line monitor shows this issue as does smoke ping tests. Latency sensitive activities like online gaming and VOIP are not possible at the moment. Technical support is unable to provide a resolution due to crippled Rogers TPIA support.

UPDATE (Jan-2-2013): Issues related to crazy high pings and packet loss have been resolved. The problem has gone away but can be recreated as it was determined the issue is related to software. A Windows service related to cloud backups was hogging upload bandwidth to the point that nothing else was working correctly. The software has been tweaked accordingly and the issue is no longer. Anticipation for the CRTC decision regarding speed matching on Aggregated POIs is going to be a major push/pull factor as higher upload is becoming an absolute requirement. Cable is unable to meet this expectation and VDSL remotes (multiple within 400m of my home) are making VDSL an attractive option.

UPDATE (June 7th 2013): I just moved to a new address in Kitchener and the install went very well. The technician showed up during the window even though I had missed their call which was appreciated. Channel bonding is enabled in my area and I see 8x4 on my DCM475. My signal stats are not as perfect as the previous install but Rogers does have to come back and properly bury the cable they left in my grass. When that changes I'm curious to see what impact it will have on my signal as they have to install a new box as well on the side of the house. I have a home-run from my modem to the pedestal in front of my home.

UPDATE (June 28th 2013): The Kitchener POI has been successfully migrated to APOI and the ATPIA speeds are now available. I requested a change to 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up with the same 300GB of usage as previous. The request took a total of 5 business days between TSI and rCable before it came into effect. Speeds look good and more testing will occur.

UPDATE (Feb. 4th 2014): I started to notice a trend in my cable modem signal stats through the Fall of 2013. These continue to get worse and eventually the downstream signal was out of spec. I was not losing sync or seeing degraded speeds so I continued to monitor. In January 2014 it reached a point where I felt some preventative maintenance was a good idea. I logged a Technical Support ticket with TSI and they clearly saw the problem. I completed all of the testing requested and Rogers sent a technician to the house. A -6db attenuator was attached to the modem directly. This brought the downstream power levels back into specification and they remain there today. All in all a good experience with TSI Technical Support and the incumbent.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Node congestion

Sorry to hear about this. I see we had opened a ticket, but no updates seem to have been pushed back to Rogers. So I've updated Rogers as well as your »TekSavvy Direct thread.

Martin

TeksavvyUSER

@teksavvy.com

Comment from a Teksavvy USER

i am using CABLE broadband from TEKSAVVY. The 20mbps package.

I can tell you it's the biggest shit I ever used in my hole life.

ROGERS in my opinion is much more reliable speed and service.

For 5$ different I prefer pay it and shut my mouth.

The evening and week end I get maximum dial up 56k speed. Sometime 100k is lucky. Sometime so slow the pictures not appear on the web page. Instead there is red X appear...

My laptop stay frozen for several minutes because too slow broadband connection.

TekSASHIT CAN BURN TO HELL THOSE BASTARD.

Re: Comment from a Teksavvy USER

Hello,

I noticed that you posted a very similar message on Twitter.

If you would like us to help you, can you please post in the direct forum with your account info.

Andre

gajego

join:2007-02-15
Canada
Oh, I was going to switch from DSL to Cable... Is TS Cable it that bad? What Modem do you have?

TSI Marty

Re: Comment from a Teksavvy USER

said by gajego:

Hello gajego,

We apologize for the misunderstanding with the above comment, there was a misunderstanding with that customer and we worked to resolve their issue the best we could.

If you would like to post here in the »TekSavvy Direct we can see which cable speeds are available to you.

Martin

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the updated post!!! Happy to hear your enjoying the new updated speeds and also enjoying your TekSavvy service. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions as you know we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct and are always happy to help!

Thanks again for the great update!! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey!

Thanks again
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review update. Good to hear the signal issue was resolved for you in a timely manner.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with!

Regards,

Review by GojuKid See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON

I had been with Bell DSL for over 10 years and could not get any better than 2.6. I ordered 28/1 cable internet and DOCSIS 3 modem from Teksavvy about a year ago. The initial install in Toronto was up and working on the promised date. We moved to Kitchener 3 months ago and transferred our service (even though there was a stop sell) to our new home. Install was done on the promised day and was running the next day. I have had no reason to call support except for the move and they were very helpful. I would recommend Teksavvy.

Update February 1, 2014: Changed to the 25/2 profile when it came available in Kitchener in June, 2013. The request took about 7 days. The results were a stable speed in the evenings and a lower monthly rate. I have not had any problems at all with my service and would recommend this service.

member for 13.5 years, 6396 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hi GojuKid,

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear everything went well with your move to K-W, and your subsequent migration to DSL.

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with at any time. We are always here to help!

GojuKid

join:2001-01-28
Kitchener, ON

Re: Thank You For Your Review!

Hi TSI Alan,

I did not migrate to DSL. I went from rCable 28/1 to rCable 25/2.

Review by blackdragon1 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Good speed, fair price, good tech support"
Bad "Low caps"
Overall "Good value, but would like higher bandwidth caps"

·TekSavvy DSL
I have been on TekSavvy Cable since summer 2013 (was on TekSavvy DSL previously) and made the switch mainly for a more reliable connection, faster speed, and because we were switching our home phone to VoIP and did not want to pay dry loop fees.

The modem cost ~$100, which was the only investment we had to make. The monthly bill was $39.95, now its at $42.95 ($3 increase) but the speeds have also increased, from 20/2 initially to 20/10 currently. The bandwidth cap unfortunately is still at 150GB, but, TekSavvy does offer a 2AM-8AM "free download" session where nothing counts towards your monthly limit. It was a bit challenging going from 300GB on DSL to 150GB on cable, but thanks to the overnight free download, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

We have only had one issue since (about 5 months). Around the beginning of January, we experienced incredibly slow download speeds throughout the day (0.5-1mbps). The issue (from what I saw) was that Cogeco was upgrading their equipment. Either way, it was frustrating that TekSavvy could not do anything, and did not compensate us in any way either.

Overall, apart from that one week of issues, I have been pretty happy with the ISP and service, and have recommended a handful of people to them over the years and will continue to do so.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for posting your review

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything

Cheers

Andre

Hello there,

Thank you again for the review. We always love getting feedback from our customers.

Would you be able to post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum with your account info by chance? I'd like to see if there's anything here we may be able to assist with.

Review by morisato See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Order process was Simple."
Bad "Rogers made me wait an extra day for Provisioning."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Order is Complete Now on Day 1

Sent in a beta preorder form for Atpia Cable 150/10 Package teksavvy mailed my modem out and forgot to bill me rofl p:0 so i politely asked for a bill so i can properly pay for it all But So far Presales Contact and Installation Info has been great 2 thumbs up to marc and andre. I

So on Install day today i was eager got my install @ 7:52 am all seemed to be going well Until about.. 7:53 am! rogers did not provision me so i spent the day resetting my modem every 30 minutes alll Day long p:) walked like 50 storeys worth of stairs in the process rofl. good exercise.

Bright side - Tsi Andre Called me to see if it was working - proactively It was not so we pushed a ticket into rogers to get it fixed. Will post The rest as it happens... My precious... Where is the
Precious.,..

So Another Day passed it is now been a full 48 hours since my rogers tech left and My Connection is still not live No fault of teksavvy though they have a ticket in and have been pushing for it.. Sigggh!

I woke Up on April 11th 10 Am Reset the Modem as per Andres PM and Now its working Speed tests @ non prime time are great Ip Does Geo locate to Nunavut Though. Will Update This review in approx 1 weeks time

So its been working fine for over a year now awaiting the new customer portal for the Primetime throttle to allow me to have unlimited on the cheap all in all teksavvy is doing good.

member for 6.4 years, 1322 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Glad to hear your return to TekSavvy has been a positive experience for you. We're delighted to have you back as part of the family!

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with along the way.

Regards,

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for updating your review Morisato!
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

off peak?

are you still getting over 150Mbps off peak?
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

Re: off peak?

No rogers removed Speed Boost from Third party lines A few months ago so Now u just Get the raw speed u ordered always.
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Review by kabes See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "High cap with unlimited on offpeak hours, consistent speeds, good support"
Bad "Reliability was an issue in later months of 2013, but seems to be better now. No downtime for 3+ months"
Overall "Better than the incumbents overall"

Update Jan 2014: Connection has been a lot more stable these last few months. It seems that the reliability issues after the rogers aggregated switch are gone. Recently had some lag and packet loss issues in online games, but teksavvy fixed it by rerouting my connection to the game server which I was very happy about. That is the type of thing I feel that sets them apart. I doubt I could get rogers to look into their routing with a simple post on a forum. Also got tektalk recently (ported from bell) and it was mostly smooth except getting the ATA to initialize at first due to something wrong on their end, but it was fixed with a phone call.

Update July 2013: I am on 45/4 now.. the switch was easy, I did it on their website.

Original review:

----

There was a stop sell in my area for a long time to prevent excess congestion until they upgraded to more capacity. I signed up within minutes of getting the email saying the stop sell was lifted.

I ordered the 28/1 300GB package. The one downside is there is no way to monitor usage yet. Your only option is to use a router to do so. When usage monitoring does come, I hope they keep the same 2 month average/Unlimited rollover thing instead of charging per GB as this is a huge asset to the service.

I already had Rogers cable TV (but no internet) and for some reason a tech had to come out anyway. The tech himself was kind of confused as to why he was here and had to call his supervisor since he literally had to do nothing except put a plastic tag on the line outside. But besides that, the the tech arrived right in the middle of the 3-hour window (which was communicated by email from teksavvy) and then I had service about an hour after he left.

First impressions were good, my first speed test was almost double my rated speeds because of speed boost and after speed boost stopped my speed was a consistent 28Mbps (around 3.5 MB/sec) at all times of the day. However I was getting intermittent disconnections usually around 5-10 times a day that lasted for around a minute. I posted on the direct forum here and since my cable line stats were close to ideal they figured it was a modem issue. There has been some problems with the new DCM476 that teksavvy and rogers are still trying to resolve. 2 days later I had a DCM475 STAC.02.16 on my doorstep and that seems to have solved all the problems with no disconnections in the 2 days since. There was also no downtime in between switching modems. As soon as my 476 went offline the 475 worked immediately.

I much prefer the forum support over phone support. It's more concise and they treat you like you know what you are talking about and won't make you go through meaningless steps like "is your modem plugged into the wall?" that I have experienced elsewhere.

I just hope upload speed gets upgraded eventually. With Bell now offering 10Mbps you would think Rogers would start to offer at least 4-5Mbps at this price level. The fastest DSL in my area is 6Mbps or else i may have considered that from teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Marty

Hello,

Thank you for taking this time to write this great review, we are ecstatic to have you on the TekSavvy team.

As for upgrades, we are always looking to get better, whether it be faster services, larger service areas or customer service if there is a place we can improve we will work for it.

Martin P

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for posting an update to your review. I am glad we got things sorted quickly for you

Review by davey6693 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Easy Install, no speed issues in first six months"
Bad "Slight anxiety with phone number port"
Overall "Very good service at good price"

We joined Teksavvy (TSI) at right around the time that various line upgrades were being performed in the GTA (I'm in KW), and against a backdrop of various levels of vitriol against the company from those who had issues with their connections, I decided to wait six months before posting anything.

Now that we are at that point, I have nothing but good things to say about the reliability of the service. Apart from one issue in the fall attributed to a failure by Rogers, we've had our 45/4 speed the whole way. I have not had to call tech support except to get our TekTalk number set up to dial out internationally, and on that one experience it was a short time on the phone followed by a swift fix.

If we ever have to call for a line related issue I'll post again. The one thing TSI cannot control is their dependence on Rogers to fix infrastructure issues. Rogers really has nothing to gain from swift, efficient service to what amounts to their competitor, and so from my observations of dozens of other accounts, Rogers are often poor in responding to issues both in terms of speed and quality of resolution. As the customer pays TSI, you see more often that not that the customer yells at TSI, when frequently TSI's hands are tied.

We took the opportunity to boot Bell out of our house entirely and took up the TekTalk service at the same time, and that has also been very good. Our Bill dropped to $16 per month for phone service, and hasn't missed a beat.

As we all know, the Do Not Call list is frequently ignored by telemarketers and (because it doesn't apply to them) charities who cold call. While I'm certainly not anti-charity, I prefer to give rather than be solicited. With TekTalk you can add any number to your blocked list. Anyone blocked receives a message indicating that you're not receiving the calls, and your phone never rings. I Love that! You can see on the call log who has tried to call you if you wish, and it's good to see a barrage from one number trickle away as they finally give up.

The one thing that almost lost us our number is something TSI should include in large font in their instructions to those porting a number:

IF YOU CALL BELL TO CANCEL THE LAND LINE YOURSELF, YOUR NUMBER WILL BE GONE FOREVER. IF YOU WANT TO PORT YOUR NUMBER TO TEKTALK, YOU MUST ALLOW TSI TO CANCEL THE LINE ON YOUR BEHALF.

It's easy to be in a situation I was, where I notified Bell that my internet needed cancelling. At the same time I told them they could kill the phone as well, and had to frantically un-cancel the landline a week later, once I learned of the above.

All in all a very happy customer who is glad to have made the switch.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Hello Davey,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us so far. I'm glad to hear that other than the hiccup in the fall your service has been performing well and as expected

I'm glad you had no difficulty adding international calling to your TekTalk and am especially glad to you were able to save your number! Our phone agents should definitely be advising customer's looking to keep their number not to cancel it with their current provider, and I'll be passing this feedback on to see about detailing the process more for people who are just looking into the service as they may end up cancelling their service prior to reaching out to us to place an order.

Thanks again for your feedback, have a great day!

Review by BuddyRich See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "No contract. Competant staff. Open communication with customers. "
Bad "Reseller so ultimately no control over certain issues... at mercy of incumbent"
Overall "If you want a No BS IISP, who goes to bat for the consumer vs. incumbents, there are none better."

Ive been with this ISP since 2007. Been through 3 moves with them and never any problems. I get my advertised speed with minimal downtown, and a generous cap, that has yet to be enforced, though this will be enforced shortly. The best part was everyone was given ample warning from the CEO himself here at DSLR. One of the best things about this IISPs is the open communication here in the forums at DSLR with all levels of this IISPs staff.

They have constantly fought for the consumer against the incumbents at CRTC hearings, as well as against copyright lawsuits on behalf of their clients. They respect your privacy and will not roll over short of a court order.

The only negative is that they are at the mercy of the incumbents on getting things fixed if needed as the SLA process makes for some longer turnaround times than is ideal for something as critical as internet service has become.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:Review

Hello BuddyRich,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

We certainly appreciate your kind words. Glad to hear everything is working great as advertised!
If you have any questions, you can certainly get in touch with us at any time.

Thanks again for this great review.
TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by mischief007 See Profile

• Location: Ingersoll,ON
Good "Easy setup via phone call, tech showed up during window, installed everything properly, no issues with the connection so far"
Overall "Reasonably priced and caters to the geeks out there"

I ordered cable for my new home. Called and everything went smoothly over the phone to order my cable connection. Contracted tech came out and installed the line properly and quickly. Hooked up the modem and everything was fine. Got a call from an account rep and made sure everything was good.

I get the speeds I'm paying for and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I know if I do have issues, Teksavvy will be there. This is why I've always been a customer and my parents have Teksavvy as well.

Thanks Teksavvy for being reasonably priced.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Mischief007,

Thank you for the wonderful review! This is so lovely to read I am so very happy to hear that your installation went smoothly and you had no issues. It is also very nice to see that your speeds are where they should be and you’re having no issues with the service.

Thank you again for this wonderful review, if you have any questions or concerns or comments please reach out to us through our Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct . We are more than happy to help you.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Cheers for posting the review