TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ZZink See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke
Good "Got setup very fast, good price, no caps to babysit, none of my money goes to bell"
Bad "All Issues with nightly slowdowns have been resolved"
Overall "Now that everything is fixed, hopefull it's back on the gravy train from here"

Been with teksavvy for about a month after switching from the bell nightmare. I was setup and ready to go on time. I get above advertised speeds and the connection hasn't been down once. The only issue is streaming videos, sometimes it lags.

Will update a few months from now.

UPDATE: SEPT
As most are aware teksavvy cable subscribers are all experiencing extreme congestion. I currently would not recommend this service to anybody until this matter is resolved.

UPDATE: OCT
Nightly slowdowns have been resolved, i'm happy with the service once again.

UPDATE: DEC
Service has been working great no congention no downtime other than last months half a day of IP distribution issues.

UPDATE Sept 2013:
My connection has been running steady for over a year and a half, I recall having very short downtime during network upgrades.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the review.

I understand your frustration. You are currently connected to the Scarlett POI. There is an ongoing Packet loss issue on this POI that has been escalated. Please bare with us as we are attempting to fix it.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

bbud

@teksavvy.com

Slow StLaurent POI in Ottawa?

I have had slow (2.5-5Mbps) speeds over the last few days and am getting fed up. Was 15Mbps for the first few weeks since I activated then 24-28Mbps when rogers upgraded a couple of weeks ago now its worse than my DSL speeds.

Is anything being upgraded in Ottawa??
ZZink

join:2002-06-16
Etobicoke

Re: Slow StLaurent POI in Ottawa?

Things have been resolved for me.
jj_frap

join:2003-12-15
Really? I've never had congestion issues on STL POI.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello ZZink,

Thank you for the updated review!! I am happy to see you are still having a consistent connection with your service. This is wonderful to read.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help!

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by BellisHell See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Excellent CS, Installations on time, Pleasant company to be part of, and performance was all great in the beginning."
Bad "Only one thing, "Rogers' Child Play Death Grip"..."
Overall "You can't go wrong with Teksavvy only if your line stats are top notch."

I was a hesitant switcher due to the massive amounts of reviews saying "I can not recommend Teksavvy to anyone anymore". But I bit the bullet and called up Teksavvy to order their home phone service along with cable internet. The ordering process was quick, easy and every bit of info I needed was given. The installer came on time and installed everything to my liking, with a bit of that rogers walled garden but that was a non-issue. There was also that disconnection issue that happened in the Brampton area but I wasn't to affected by it though I did become a STAC 02.16 firmware tester to see if the issues were resolved (and believed or not, it worked!). Teksavvy is the only company that wanted to work with me to solve an issue like that disconnection issue. I have been with Bell, Rogers, 3Web, Acanac, and many others, they just can't compare to what Teksavvy can offer to us. I don't write reviews often for different companies, as writing a bad review of those folks are a waste of my time and bandwidth. Teksavvy's the only company that had made me feel that it is worth anything to write a positive review about them. Thanks Teksavvy, I'm a very happy camper.

Update*

My connection is still running strong! No disconnects and excellent speeds during peak hours here in the Brampton region. Now, I can truly say that this connection of mine is definitely reliable, enough that I can trust IP Telephony.

I have switched to TekTalk for home phone as of now. Nothing wrong with the service at all, just that there's tons of static on Bell's behalf. As a recent switcher, I decided to do away of anything Bell related and move to the more modern IP telephony way of home phone.

Update as of AUG 29, 2013*

Being hit with the infamous "blinking uplink light", my connection has suffered in tiny disconnects and frustration. I want to believe that TekSavvy isn't at fault because I know it is for the most part Rogers, but it is really hard not to do so. Reason being is that CS just out right seems off, not how it was in the past where it was straight forward. I have a feeling they are also blaming my own equipment, which I know 110% is working fine. I have contemplated on switching to Start Communications, but what is the point if the issues are still there? Seriously, I'd rather have Rogers loosen the death grip on IISP's than to deal with IISP's on incumbent network issues to no avail.

Update as of Sept. 17, 2013*

Had my disconnection issues looked at by a Link-On technician, and the connection now seems to be working fine. I have filed a speed profile change and I am currently waiting for that to be processed. I will update my review on that as the days go by.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Bellishell,

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to see you have been enjoying the service thoroughly and you did not have any issues with installing the services. This is great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

In regards to your current service you shouldn’t be receiving disconnects. I would be more than happy to look into your account and assist with investigating what is happening with your connection to find a solution for you. Please feel free to message us directly in the Direct forum. We are happy to help.

Thank you again for this review!!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

KrissyB79

@199.71.244.x

Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Technician set up my teksavvy Sept 5 - since that time I have not once had the internet up and working. I've sat on hold 4 different nights for 1 hour, and have logged a tech support ticket. Have not been contacted or successfull got through once. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I am not very technical and its probably something fixable - but I cant get throught to anyone!

canada

Re: Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Hi KrissyB79,

I am very sorry to read about your experience so far. I would like my team to look into your situation and try their best to assist you in resolving this issue. Could you post with your account information in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct if you haven't done so already?

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

canada

Update

Thanks for the quick update BellisHell, please keep us posted and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Review by c00lsnoopy See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "It WAS good until you have issues."
Bad "Terrible long wait for support and unhelpful."
Overall "You are on your own when you have issues."

·Start Communicat..
I had been with them without any issues for DSL for a year in Markham. Then I moved and cable was available.

1st issue: they mailed my modem to the wrong address thus delaying my internet two weeks. I had to pay to have another modem mailed to the correct address until the other got returned back.

2nd issue: they started charging me for those two weeks of service although my modem was nowhere to be seen and even though I made sure when I call that I won't be charged until I get my modem connected.

3rd issue: In the last 3 weeks, I have been having disconnection issue and it happens daily. At first, I needed to powercycle my modem and it worked after. Then it got worst and I decided to call the tech support. BTW their support staff on the direct support forum were more useful than the one I finally got. Anyway, Rogers refused to send a tech saying that they can see my modem connected. Try again on the second week and the ticket response was the same.

So as patient as I am and willingness to support smaller companies, it seems there is nothing else to be done anymore. I closed my account today after 3 years and I"m not going to give my money to Rogers either. Leaving for Start with VDSL instead.

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your review

Hi,

Thank you very much for the review. I apologize for the issues you've seen with the service. We had been working with you in the direct support forum about the disconnect issue, even up to today, and were trying to help you get it resolved before the cancellation. We appreciate the patience you had up to this point in helping us to try to resolve the issue for you.

We wish you well with your new provider.

Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by alepodj See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Best in the GTA(Toronto) by far, what u see is what u get. "
Bad "Dependent of Rogers lines, is a no go but a necessity i guess"
Overall "Best Internet i had by far in the GTA from 5 companies ive been with"

Honestly is easier to make a review when something is bad,,, but i have not a single complaint in almost 2 years with TS.
Comparing prices and services with other ISPs,,, i don't know why people still with other companies is a no brainer,,,
Unlimited Speeds at last, main reason i love TS for.
Ive been in 2 different speeds now just switched to 45/4/Unl. for 99.95,,, a price im willing to pay to TS over any other ISPs
that's the trust they built on me over the years.

Thanks TEKSAVVY and looking forward for faster speeds at lower prices (fibre maybe?)

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your review

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to leave the feedback. We're glad you're happy with us!

Review by Insilin1i See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fast, No Cap, The Price, No Throttle !!!!@!, and Not Rogers"
Bad "Installation co-ordination"
Overall "150/10 + Unlimited uploads! "

I ordered sometime in July, I called the same day I gave Rogers my 30 days notice. The rep was very nice and made the process quick and painless. Well the installation day came and the Rogers tech never showed up but my internet had been cancelled already. Called teksavvy they said to wait for the substitute appointment the next day no one showed up again. I called once again and they gave me an appointment in 2 days which I was actually pretty happy with because I thought I would have to wait another week. The tech did show up this time and I have no idea what he actually did? All he did was check the line quality and that was it.

If anyone can answer this it would be helpful, did the Tech actually need to show up? I had Rogers Internet and do have Rogers Cable Tv.

The Rogers guy left the internet wasn't working, was sending me to this weird Rogers page. Called Teksavvy and they helped me, the router still had the old Rogers settings. After the bumpy installation process it has been just as good as Rogers and is saving me the $50 I paid in overage fees a month.

I found the techs to be really knowledgeable and very friendly, I really hated dealing with most techs from Rogers as all they told me to do was power cycle the modem...

O ya I forgot this very important tidbit, torrents are not throttled which to me is a very important plus that I was not expecting.

Update(July 20, 2011)
Everything has been pretty good for the past few months some issues with congestion because of having to wait for rogers to update the links. But after that it has been smooth.

Updated (September 24, 2011)
Speeds were starting to slow down around August 1st, and it's all gone downhill from there.

Updated (July 5th, 2012)
Teksavvy finally fixed the issue a couple months back and it seems that they are finally going to be able to maintain the good service.

Update *Septemper 2013)
Having an awesome experience with 150/10. This is exactly what I have been waiting for this whole time and unlimited UPLOAD!

member for 3.7 years, 1211 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for providing an update. Glad you're enjoying that blazing fast service

Review by zolotoiy See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Excellent service and support, timely responses, competitive price, total of 3 days downtime between 2006-2013"
Bad "Slower than normal issue resolution in summer 2013"
Overall "Despite all the obstacles in the recent months I would still recommend TSI to my friends"

I've been using TSI internet since 2006 and it's been pretty much rock solid most of the time. I haven't had any installation or package switch issues. Also TSI notified about maintenance windows in advance.

My Internet speed has been stable around the clock with no packet loss or latencies.

As company grows there is certainly some roadblocks in the process but this company still stands behind their customers and doesn't employ constant price hike as larger industry players tend to do all the time.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Thanks!

Thank you for posting your review.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need anything!

Review by nbinont See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Mostly rock solid, once it's working"
Bad "Complete inability to address node congestion"
Overall "Good service, but node congestion is a gamble"

Got TSI Cable about 4 months ago after hearing good reviews online. Install was very well coordinated. Modem came in the mail on time, and the service person called a few minutes before they arrived so I could ensure they had access. Ultra professional - thanks!

The start date of my service was off a few days (typo), but a quick call resolved that.

About a week after the service was installed, a number of sites began showing poor performance ( »[Cable] Traffic shaping on my TSI Cable connection.. ). This persisted for about a week, then the problem was identified as an issue with one of TSI's transport providers, limelight, and quickly resolved ( »Re: [Cable] Traffic shaping on my TSI Cable connection. ). The identification seemed to take longer than I would have expected for this class of problem (expected under half a week), but it was resolved.

A few weeks after that, my area started to suffer from significant node congestion in the evenings ( »[Cable] 1mbps cable in Kitchener ). About the same time, TSI's POI hit capacity in the evening as well. A few weeks later, the POI capacity was doubled ( »[Cable] Kitchener Upgrade Complete! ), which resolved the problem for people experiencing only the POI capacity limits.

Unfortunately for my area, we were also experiencing node congestion, and the POI upgrade had little to no effect. I was only receiving ~2Mbit of my 12Mbit connection. TSI was not able to conclusively identify the node congestion as the problem, so they did nothing. This is probably the most scathing part of my review, all the other stuff happens sometimes, you identify it, fix it and move on - not a big deal. This one however couldn't even be identified, so the fix was massively delayed. TSI urgently needs a procedure to identify node congestion and a process to engage with Rogers to get it resolved. I understand these upgrades do not come quickly, but the current approach of just ignoring it and hoping Rogers eventually fixes it is ineffective.

About 2 months since this problem started, Rogers upgraded my node (I got new channels bonded), and I was happy. Unfortunately others (who were in worse shape, and for much longer) had no resolution, and ended up cancelling after ~3 months ( »[Cable] Kitchener Upgrade Complete! ).

Overall, I'm pleased with my service. But my recommend comes with the warning - if it works, it will be exceptional - if not, good luck - it's a gamble until the node congestion is handled.

PS: A big thanks to TSI Martin and TSI Gabe for their help!

****UPDATE Jan 2012:

Some sites don't resolve using the TSI DNS servers reliably. The first few DNS queries are lost/ignored/timed out, then eventually TSI's DNS server has an answer, and you're good for a few minutes. But next time you ask, it doesn't know again. This makes browsing some sites frustrating. Made no progress in the direct forum. My recommendation is to append some non-TSI DNS servers to your list of DNS servers so you still get an answer when TSI's servers are not returning an answer.

****UPDATE Sept 2012:

Moved to a new location and transferred my service there. Transfer was a bit difficult to setup - you have to phone in as they don't do it online (ok, that's understandable), but the representative got a bunch of details wrong and we went back and forth for a week or so trying to get the details right (yes, the details were right in my e-mails and TSI Direct posts - but we need to make these changes on the phone, remember?). Install date came and the install went smoothly. Connection has been reasonably stable since. Had a KW wide outage: »[Cable] Kitchener/Waterloo DHCP issues also? , then an issue with their DHCP: »[Cable] Kitchener down for anyone else?

And the DNS issue still persists. Sigh.

****UPDATE Oct 2012:

The DNS issue has finally been resolved! ( »Google DNS versus ours ) I'm much more happy!

****UPDATE June 2013:

Had a 5+ hour outage of all of KW ( »[Cable] cable down in waterloo, anyone else? »Cable Outage [Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge] 07/06/2013 ) that took way too long to resolve. Only TSI was affected. This length of outage shouldn't happen any more than every few years - not multiple times a year! I'm hoping the move to ATPIA in a few weeks will improve the reliability.

****UPDATE Sept 2013:

Decided to move on, as I was concerned about the experience level of TSI front line staff (especially with regards to "RF issues"), and the wait time to have potential issues looked at. TSI is certainly the cheaper option, but for the time being, I'm willing to pay a bit more for accurate diagnosis & resolutions of potential problems.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Sept 2012 update

Hello,

There has been many maintenance/upgrades causing issues in Kitchener as of late. Be advised that these are out of TekSavvy hands.

If you are currently having issues, please feel free to contact me TSI Martin See Profile or post in the »TekSavvy Direct & we'll take a look at your service if you are having issues.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
nbinont

join:2011-03-13
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Bruce Telecom

Re: Sept 2012 update

First of all - thanks for following up! Much appreciated

Most of the issues mentioned were transitory and were resolved - except for that DNS issue (TSI David called and is investigating - we'll see where that goes this time).

Don't take my post as a displeased post - overall I am pleased with the service.

TSI MartinP
join:2012-11-22

Your Review

Thank you for providing an update on your experience, we do apologize for that outage. I can assure you that in the event of such issues we do all we can to have everything running smoothly again as we can and regret that the outage took that amount of time.

Our goal is always excellence and we will continue to work towards that goal by improving in every way we can. Thank you for your loyalty.

Sept 2013 Update

Hi there,

Thanks for posting an update. I am sad to see you go however I can certainly understand. Unfortunately, we are extremely limited in the tools we have access to provide us better visibility into our vendor's network. We try our best with what we have.

We also have a lot of new agents so it will take some time for the learning curve to be caught up. I hope one day you will consider us again

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by johnboy105 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Only ISP I've ever had where I've had a) no yearly price increase and b) an upgrade that gave me more speed and a lower cost!"
Bad "Due to the CRTC restrictions in infrastructure in Canada, Teksavvy is forced to use incumbent providers for last mile."
Overall "A great company, providing the best service they can, with their hands being tied."

Out of all the IISP's available, Teksavvy has made their name as the largest mainly due to their pricing structure being one of the simplest to understand.

Been with them for just over 3 years now and currently on the 25/2 Mbps Cable service (w/300 Gig cap) for $40 per month - honestly this is plenty for any average user these days.

Order and Install process was decent, but the only thing that was a negative was the involvement of Rogers - because of the nature of how Teksavvy is able to provide their service, involvement of Rogers is required and therefore introduces an unknown variable on how "good" the install will go.

Modem purchased was Motorola SB6120 and has been pretty solid for me.

Honestly, the only thing holding Teksavvy back is the requirement to go through the incumbents... if they had the authority to have their own last mile, any negative reviews getting posted right now would be non-existent. The cost of building this would also be insane (so it's not like they could do even if they could), but the point is that until the landscape in Canada changes of who "owns" the last mile, then companies like Teksavvy are best choice we have.

member for 5.3 years, 1116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AOD See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Teksavvy as prestine as always"
Bad "Bell totally sucks."
Overall "Teksavvy will get r done."

The time it takes to install could be better, but o well. Teksavvy Cable is awesome.

EDIT, EVEN at my new address service is still good. Even with all the negativity these days!

member for 6.2 years, 1932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi AOD,

Thanks for the quick review! Happy to hear everything is going well since you've been with us. I agree that the installation times a bit long of a wait but it's necessary to ensure we have everything set in advance and make you aware of it as soon as we receive confirmation.

If you ever need us please feel free to get a hold of us. We're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by TemporalFlux See Profile

• Location: Ont, Canada
Good "Works perfectly."
Overall "Still happy after 10 years!"

I have been with Teksavvy for just about 10 years now. I have to say that they are hands down the best ISP I have ever had. I have had a solid constant connection ever since I signed up. The staff is always friendly and helpful. I have never had a bad experience with them. The staff from Teksavvy regularly come on BBR to respond to questions which I like. I do not use the e-mail, usenet or web space they provide so I can't comment on them. They try to be proactive with the network maintenance and upgrades! Keep up the good work Teksavvy!

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

RE: Still happy after 8+ years

Thank you for the review. It's great to hear that after 8 years you're still happy with us and our service. We pride ourselves on having 'real people' answer the phone and online questions and it's nice to read that it's noticed and appreciated.
TSI Support - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
rasco

join:2012-05-17
Laval, QC

Re: RE: Still happy after 8+ years

What's better DSL OR CABLE?
can anyone tell me what's more faster .

thanks

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: RE: Still happy after 8+ years

Rasco,

It would depend on what is available in your area. Cable is generally faster. If you call us at 1-877-779-1575 we can have a look at what is available where you are.

Thanks,