TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by stickyiki See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great service with full advertised speeds! Plenty of bandwidth"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Stop paying so much to the incumbents. Switch now!"

Package: 28/1
Modem: Motorola SB6120

I've had TekSavvy Cable service for almost 2.5 years now and all I can say is that the service has been excellent for me since Day 1. The installation process was smooth and it did not require a technician to come since I was switching from Rogers to TekSavvy. As for the service itself, the only time I had issues was after the recent Toronto storm. Once the issues were sorted out in my area, my service was back to being rock solid. I have never experienced any slow downs at peak hours. I am always maintaining the advertised speeds and the best thing is that I don't have to worry about the caps like I did when I had Rogers Cable internet. There have never been any surprises on my bill either. Currently I am on the 28/1 package but once my POI receives the new speeds, I will be bumping it up to take advantage of the new speed tiers.

UPDATE: 9/21/2013

Looks like I got my 45/4 speed upgrade completed today! Getting great speeds!

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Stickyiki,

Thank you for wonderful review. I’m very happy to read that you have been enjoying your TekSavvy service for many years for minimal hiccups in the service. I’m also very ecstatic that you have been maintaining your advertised speeds with no congestion in the evenings.

If you have any questions in the future we can be reached through the Direct Forum. We are happy to assist.

Thank you again for this great review!! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services!!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by Wyred See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Steady, reliable service (so far at least) at excellent price, from independent Canadian owned provider"
Bad "Business model is vulnerable to the last mile providers it depends on"
Overall "Works for us, but do your homework & understand the situation before signing up"

It’s been two years since I signed up with TekSavvy, so I thought I’d finally post my review and give a more “long term” perspective.

This review is written for people who are considering switching to TekSavvy.

I moved from Bell DSL and home phone to TekSavvy Cable Express 18 and home phone (POTS, not TekTalk).

After years of being gouged by Bell ($165/month for 5 Mbps DSL/grandfathered and Home Phone Choice, anybody?) we were kicking ourselves for not moving sooner. We had done our homework on TekSavvy and knew its strengths and weaknesses, so we went in with our heads up. (More on the weaknesses in a moment.)

Initial installation was typical. None of the three appointment times given were honoured and TekSavvy was always behind the curve on appointments because Rogers did not and does not keep them in the loop. Contacting them in the direct forum, TSI said they would try to get the next three appointment dates and would call back. They didn’t. The next day they called to ask if service was activated, even though I was never advised that THAT day had been set for an appointment. As it turned out, the service was active. Five days later, it went down. (A Rogers tech had never crossed my doorstep.) They had a tech out two days after that, giving me notice of that new appointment the same day it was scheduled, but by luck I got the message and could be home for the 2-5 pm window. I was lucky to have a good tech who tested everything, replaced some iffy cable, and put a TPIA tag on the cable at the box.

After that, the service quality has been good to excellent. Speedtests have been above 18 Mbps 99% of the time. I once had two consecutive days of very slow (2 Mbps) speeds but this resolved itself before I had a chance to report the issue, and hasn’t recurred. There have been maybe 4 very-short lived interruptions in service (about 15 mins) in all that time. Latency has always been good, less than 20 ms and usually less than 12 ms. When I had some glitches in July with my DCM475 modem that had outdated and problematic firmware, TSI arranged a free swap within two days and had the replacement provisioned two days after I requested it.

And yes, when I get a chance and when the current nightmares with the cable incumbent have settled down, I’ll arrange to go to 25 Mpbs, the current tier for my price level.

Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering TekSavvy: they are dependent for the last mile on the incumbent cable and ILEC providers, who have been required against their will to provide wholesale HSA service to retail IISPs like TekSavvy. (No, TekSavvy is NOT a reseller, they have their own infrastructure that starts about 2 kms from my house. No, TekSavvy is NOT a wholesaler. They buy wholesale services from the incumbent cable providers and ILECs. Half the posters on these forums have never understood this.)

So this means that Big Red and Big Blue have no reason to provide anything but desultory service to the TPIA customers, just enough to meet the requirements of the CRTC telecom decisions and the vague terms of their tariff documents (Rogers’ is at »new.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Acc···riff.pdf). But since they compete for the same retail customers, they have a clear-cut incentive to drag their heels.

And that’s what happens. TekSavvy has no trucks to roll because that’s a last-mile responsibility. So most installs and other work is scheduled with the incumbents. Communication is basically only by email and one-way ticket submission, with protocols for escalation – TSI customer service staff are NOT staring at computer screens that get them inside Big Blue and Big Red’s dispatch systems and network status monitors; usually they have less information than YOU do, in real time, on the status of service and appointments.

In recent months, this situation has gotten horrific for some TSI customers who are connected through Big Red. Read the forums and you’ll see unexplained service interruptions, often related to node splits that aren’t well co-ordinated, that can run for weeks. You’ll see installs that take weeks for anything to happen (which will annoy you if you’ve prepaid the install fee, the modem cost and the first month’s service, as you are required to). You’ll also read that Big Red itself, right now, can usually hook up their own new customers within 24 hours, so that will tell you they’re getting far more blatant about two classes of customers: their own and the TPIA’s.

I was going to conclude by saying that if you go in with your head up about the reality, you’ll probably have some install glitches and then smooth sailing and monthly rates you’ll love. That’s our experience.

However, the fact that some long standing customers are now seeing interruptions that go for weeks with no ETA for resolution, even when they made no changes to their service, suggests that this roulette game – of hoping the big incumbents don’t screw with your TSI connection – just got a little more risky.

My guess is that this degraded service strategy can’t continue indefinitely. The CRTC has mandated TPIA access and even the slow-moving, unresponsive commission can’t ignore this forever.

But if you’re considering TSI, don’t sign up and then come on these forums typing blue murder because your install date was missed or you’ve had an issue and TSI can’t get action on the ticket, despite escalations. Don’t sit there and type “I don’t care whose fault it is, I pay TekSavvy so it's their responsibility to fix it now...” and so on. TekSavvy has no direct recourse. You’ll deal with polite but overwhelmed CSRs in Chatham (hired by a rapidly growing company which can’t thoroughly train every last agent to perform as well as we’d like) and well intentioned managers, but it doesn’t matter how many outraged posts you make – this situation won’t change until the regulator imposes some basic service standards to ensure the incumbents have to be as responsive to issues with TPIA end-user issues as they are to their own direct customers.

If that’s a problem for you, the other option is to go over to the Dark Side. If it’s worth it to you to pay close to double the cost, with a markedly lower cap in most of their plans, and give your money directly to the massively profitable incumbents (who are still capable of epic customer service fails) who will jack up your rates like clockwork at least once if not twice a year… if that’s worth it to you for more peace of mind, my advice is: go for it. (There are other independent ISPs out there but they’re subject to the same risk that TSI has been feeling more than most. For now.)

member for 10.9 years, 182 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Thumbs up review

Hi Wyred,

Thanks for taking the time to write this very informative review for future/considering customers. I have to say this is probably one of the best personal experience and "what you need to know" review I've read so far.

We are currently running into some delays with some of our Vendors so it has been a bumpy ride for all of us. We hired about 250 employees before running into our busy "back-to-school" season. They did go through a very thorough training class before jumping on the phones. We were beefed up and ready to go but we were not expecting to run into those delays with our Vendors. As everyone can imagine, this created extra amounts of calls to come through which we did not forecast.

We been hard at work doing our best to come up with solutions for our customers. Our CEO who is very active throughout this forum and via Social Medias wrote the following blog who is also very informative and shows how much we care.

»blogs.teksavvy.com/?p=2533

We are very happy to have you as a customer for 2 years and look forward to many more. If you ever need anything or have any questions, well, you already know where to find us

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by ZZink See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke
Good "Got setup very fast, good price, no caps to babysit, none of my money goes to bell"
Bad "All Issues with nightly slowdowns have been resolved"
Overall "Now that everything is fixed, hopefull it's back on the gravy train from here"

Been with teksavvy for about a month after switching from the bell nightmare. I was setup and ready to go on time. I get above advertised speeds and the connection hasn't been down once. The only issue is streaming videos, sometimes it lags.

Will update a few months from now.

UPDATE: SEPT
As most are aware teksavvy cable subscribers are all experiencing extreme congestion. I currently would not recommend this service to anybody until this matter is resolved.

UPDATE: OCT
Nightly slowdowns have been resolved, i'm happy with the service once again.

UPDATE: DEC
Service has been working great no congention no downtime other than last months half a day of IP distribution issues.

UPDATE Sept 2013:
My connection has been running steady for over a year and a half, I recall having very short downtime during network upgrades.

member for 11.8 years, 1140 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the review.

I understand your frustration. You are currently connected to the Scarlett POI. There is an ongoing Packet loss issue on this POI that has been escalated. Please bare with us as we are attempting to fix it.

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

bbud

@teksavvy.com

Slow StLaurent POI in Ottawa?

I have had slow (2.5-5Mbps) speeds over the last few days and am getting fed up. Was 15Mbps for the first few weeks since I activated then 24-28Mbps when rogers upgraded a couple of weeks ago now its worse than my DSL speeds.

Is anything being upgraded in Ottawa??
ZZink

join:2002-06-16
Etobicoke

Re: Slow StLaurent POI in Ottawa?

Things have been resolved for me.
jj_frap

join:2003-12-15
Really? I've never had congestion issues on STL POI.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello ZZink,

Thank you for the updated review!! I am happy to see you are still having a consistent connection with your service. This is wonderful to read.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help!

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by c00lsnoopy See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "It WAS good until you have issues."
Bad "Terrible long wait for support and unhelpful."
Overall "You are on your own when you have issues."

·Start Communicat..
I had been with them without any issues for DSL for a year in Markham. Then I moved and cable was available.

1st issue: they mailed my modem to the wrong address thus delaying my internet two weeks. I had to pay to have another modem mailed to the correct address until the other got returned back.

2nd issue: they started charging me for those two weeks of service although my modem was nowhere to be seen and even though I made sure when I call that I won't be charged until I get my modem connected.

3rd issue: In the last 3 weeks, I have been having disconnection issue and it happens daily. At first, I needed to powercycle my modem and it worked after. Then it got worst and I decided to call the tech support. BTW their support staff on the direct support forum were more useful than the one I finally got. Anyway, Rogers refused to send a tech saying that they can see my modem connected. Try again on the second week and the ticket response was the same.

So as patient as I am and willingness to support smaller companies, it seems there is nothing else to be done anymore. I closed my account today after 3 years and I"m not going to give my money to Rogers either. Leaving for Start with VDSL instead.

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your review

Hi,

Thank you very much for the review. I apologize for the issues you've seen with the service. We had been working with you in the direct support forum about the disconnect issue, even up to today, and were trying to help you get it resolved before the cancellation. We appreciate the patience you had up to this point in helping us to try to resolve the issue for you.

We wish you well with your new provider.

Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by alepodj See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Best in the GTA(Toronto) by far, what u see is what u get. "
Bad "Dependent of Rogers lines, is a no go but a necessity i guess"
Overall "Best Internet i had by far in the GTA from 5 companies ive been with"

Honestly is easier to make a review when something is bad,,, but i have not a single complaint in almost 2 years with TS.
Comparing prices and services with other ISPs,,, i don't know why people still with other companies is a no brainer,,,
Unlimited Speeds at last, main reason i love TS for.
Ive been in 2 different speeds now just switched to 45/4/Unl. for 99.95,,, a price im willing to pay to TS over any other ISPs
that's the trust they built on me over the years.

Thanks TEKSAVVY and looking forward for faster speeds at lower prices (fibre maybe?)

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: Your review

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to leave the feedback. We're glad you're happy with us!

Danielle

Review by Insilin1i See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fast, No Cap, The Price, No Throttle !!!!@!, and Not Rogers"
Bad "Installation co-ordination"
Overall "150/10 + Unlimited uploads! "

I ordered sometime in July, I called the same day I gave Rogers my 30 days notice. The rep was very nice and made the process quick and painless. Well the installation day came and the Rogers tech never showed up but my internet had been cancelled already. Called teksavvy they said to wait for the substitute appointment the next day no one showed up again. I called once again and they gave me an appointment in 2 days which I was actually pretty happy with because I thought I would have to wait another week. The tech did show up this time and I have no idea what he actually did? All he did was check the line quality and that was it.

If anyone can answer this it would be helpful, did the Tech actually need to show up? I had Rogers Internet and do have Rogers Cable Tv.

The Rogers guy left the internet wasn't working, was sending me to this weird Rogers page. Called Teksavvy and they helped me, the router still had the old Rogers settings. After the bumpy installation process it has been just as good as Rogers and is saving me the $50 I paid in overage fees a month.

I found the techs to be really knowledgeable and very friendly, I really hated dealing with most techs from Rogers as all they told me to do was power cycle the modem...

O ya I forgot this very important tidbit, torrents are not throttled which to me is a very important plus that I was not expecting.

Update(July 20, 2011)
Everything has been pretty good for the past few months some issues with congestion because of having to wait for rogers to update the links. But after that it has been smooth.

Updated (September 24, 2011)
Speeds were starting to slow down around August 1st, and it's all gone downhill from there.

Updated (July 5th, 2012)
Teksavvy finally fixed the issue a couple months back and it seems that they are finally going to be able to maintain the good service.

Update *Septemper 2013)
Having an awesome experience with 150/10. This is exactly what I have been waiting for this whole time and unlimited UPLOAD!

member for 3.7 years, 1219 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for providing an update. Glad you're enjoying that blazing fast service

Review by zolotoiy See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Excellent service and support, timely responses, competitive price, total of 3 days downtime between 2006-2013"
Bad "Slower than normal issue resolution in summer 2013"
Overall "Despite all the obstacles in the recent months I would still recommend TSI to my friends"

I've been using TSI internet since 2006 and it's been pretty much rock solid most of the time. I haven't had any installation or package switch issues. Also TSI notified about maintenance windows in advance.

My Internet speed has been stable around the clock with no packet loss or latencies.

As company grows there is certainly some roadblocks in the process but this company still stands behind their customers and doesn't employ constant price hike as larger industry players tend to do all the time.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Thanks!

Thank you for posting your review.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need anything!

Review by nbinont See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Mostly rock solid, once it's working"
Bad "Complete inability to address node congestion"
Overall "Good service, but node congestion is a gamble"

Got TSI Cable about 4 months ago after hearing good reviews online. Install was very well coordinated. Modem came in the mail on time, and the service person called a few minutes before they arrived so I could ensure they had access. Ultra professional - thanks!

The start date of my service was off a few days (typo), but a quick call resolved that.

About a week after the service was installed, a number of sites began showing poor performance ( »[Cable] Traffic shaping on my TSI Cable connection.. ). This persisted for about a week, then the problem was identified as an issue with one of TSI's transport providers, limelight, and quickly resolved ( »Re: [Cable] Traffic shaping on my TSI Cable connection. ). The identification seemed to take longer than I would have expected for this class of problem (expected under half a week), but it was resolved.

A few weeks after that, my area started to suffer from significant node congestion in the evenings ( »[Cable] 1mbps cable in Kitchener ). About the same time, TSI's POI hit capacity in the evening as well. A few weeks later, the POI capacity was doubled ( »[Cable] Kitchener Upgrade Complete! ), which resolved the problem for people experiencing only the POI capacity limits.

Unfortunately for my area, we were also experiencing node congestion, and the POI upgrade had little to no effect. I was only receiving ~2Mbit of my 12Mbit connection. TSI was not able to conclusively identify the node congestion as the problem, so they did nothing. This is probably the most scathing part of my review, all the other stuff happens sometimes, you identify it, fix it and move on - not a big deal. This one however couldn't even be identified, so the fix was massively delayed. TSI urgently needs a procedure to identify node congestion and a process to engage with Rogers to get it resolved. I understand these upgrades do not come quickly, but the current approach of just ignoring it and hoping Rogers eventually fixes it is ineffective.

About 2 months since this problem started, Rogers upgraded my node (I got new channels bonded), and I was happy. Unfortunately others (who were in worse shape, and for much longer) had no resolution, and ended up cancelling after ~3 months ( »[Cable] Kitchener Upgrade Complete! ).

Overall, I'm pleased with my service. But my recommend comes with the warning - if it works, it will be exceptional - if not, good luck - it's a gamble until the node congestion is handled.

PS: A big thanks to TSI Martin and TSI Gabe for their help!

****UPDATE Jan 2012:

Some sites don't resolve using the TSI DNS servers reliably. The first few DNS queries are lost/ignored/timed out, then eventually TSI's DNS server has an answer, and you're good for a few minutes. But next time you ask, it doesn't know again. This makes browsing some sites frustrating. Made no progress in the direct forum. My recommendation is to append some non-TSI DNS servers to your list of DNS servers so you still get an answer when TSI's servers are not returning an answer.

****UPDATE Sept 2012:

Moved to a new location and transferred my service there. Transfer was a bit difficult to setup - you have to phone in as they don't do it online (ok, that's understandable), but the representative got a bunch of details wrong and we went back and forth for a week or so trying to get the details right (yes, the details were right in my e-mails and TSI Direct posts - but we need to make these changes on the phone, remember?). Install date came and the install went smoothly. Connection has been reasonably stable since. Had a KW wide outage: »[Cable] Kitchener/Waterloo DHCP issues also? , then an issue with their DHCP: »[Cable] Kitchener down for anyone else?

And the DNS issue still persists. Sigh.

****UPDATE Oct 2012:

The DNS issue has finally been resolved! ( »Google DNS versus ours ) I'm much more happy!

****UPDATE June 2013:

Had a 5+ hour outage of all of KW ( »[Cable] cable down in waterloo, anyone else? »Cable Outage [Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge] 07/06/2013 ) that took way too long to resolve. Only TSI was affected. This length of outage shouldn't happen any more than every few years - not multiple times a year! I'm hoping the move to ATPIA in a few weeks will improve the reliability.

****UPDATE Sept 2013:

Decided to move on, as I was concerned about the experience level of TSI front line staff (especially with regards to "RF issues"), and the wait time to have potential issues looked at. TSI is certainly the cheaper option, but for the time being, I'm willing to pay a bit more for accurate diagnosis & resolutions of potential problems.

member for 3.1 years, 646 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Sept 2012 update

Hello,

There has been many maintenance/upgrades causing issues in Kitchener as of late. Be advised that these are out of TekSavvy hands.

If you are currently having issues, please feel free to contact me TSI Martin See Profile or post in the »TekSavvy Direct & we'll take a look at your service if you are having issues.

Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin
nbinont

join:2011-03-13
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Bruce Telecom

Re: Sept 2012 update

First of all - thanks for following up! Much appreciated

Most of the issues mentioned were transitory and were resolved - except for that DNS issue (TSI David called and is investigating - we'll see where that goes this time).

Don't take my post as a displeased post - overall I am pleased with the service.

TSI MartinP
join:2012-11-22

Your Review

Thank you for providing an update on your experience, we do apologize for that outage. I can assure you that in the event of such issues we do all we can to have everything running smoothly again as we can and regret that the outage took that amount of time.

Our goal is always excellence and we will continue to work towards that goal by improving in every way we can. Thank you for your loyalty.

Sept 2013 Update

Hi there,

Thanks for posting an update. I am sad to see you go however I can certainly understand. Unfortunately, we are extremely limited in the tools we have access to provide us better visibility into our vendor's network. We try our best with what we have.

We also have a lot of new agents so it will take some time for the learning curve to be caught up. I hope one day you will consider us again

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by johnboy105 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Only ISP I've ever had where I've had a) no yearly price increase and b) an upgrade that gave me more speed and a lower cost!"
Bad "Due to the CRTC restrictions in infrastructure in Canada, Teksavvy is forced to use incumbent providers for last mile."
Overall "A great company, providing the best service they can, with their hands being tied."

Out of all the IISP's available, Teksavvy has made their name as the largest mainly due to their pricing structure being one of the simplest to understand.

Been with them for just over 3 years now and currently on the 25/2 Mbps Cable service (w/300 Gig cap) for $40 per month - honestly this is plenty for any average user these days.

Order and Install process was decent, but the only thing that was a negative was the involvement of Rogers - because of the nature of how Teksavvy is able to provide their service, involvement of Rogers is required and therefore introduces an unknown variable on how "good" the install will go.

Modem purchased was Motorola SB6120 and has been pretty solid for me.

Honestly, the only thing holding Teksavvy back is the requirement to go through the incumbents... if they had the authority to have their own last mile, any negative reviews getting posted right now would be non-existent. The cost of building this would also be insane (so it's not like they could do even if they could), but the point is that until the landscape in Canada changes of who "owns" the last mile, then companies like Teksavvy are best choice we have.

member for 5.4 years, 1121 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AOD See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Teksavvy as prestine as always"
Bad "Bell totally sucks."
Overall "Teksavvy will get r done."

The time it takes to install could be better, but o well. Teksavvy Cable is awesome.

EDIT, EVEN at my new address service is still good. Even with all the negativity these days!

member for 6.2 years, 1941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi AOD,

Thanks for the quick review! Happy to hear everything is going well since you've been with us. I agree that the installation times a bit long of a wait but it's necessary to ensure we have everything set in advance and make you aware of it as soon as we receive confirmation.

If you ever need us please feel free to get a hold of us. We're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.