TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by corellama See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Consistent speed. Good Price. Doesn't mess with traffic."
Bad "If you have a problem, you deal with Teksavvy who deals with Rogers. Takes longer"
Overall "Speed and price are great"

I'm on 35Mbps down, 3Mbps up. I've been with Teksavvy for 4 years. We had one problem with the line into our house. It took about 13 days to get it fixed totally. Other than that one problem they've been great.

member for 3.1 years, 598 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review.

Hello,

Sounds like you may have had a rough start, but doesn't sound like it's a regular occurrence. Glad to to see that although we aren't perfect, you are still a satisfied customer.

Review by Lasat See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Fast downloads, no contract"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Excellent choice for provider."

I recently switched from Rogers to Teksavvy. I'm fully aware that Teksavvy makes use of the Rogers infrastructure, but the deal is so much better.

Before I signed up for Teksavvy, I did have a few questions regarding how long activation would take from the time I placed my order, so I used the sales chat option to ask those questions. I was connected with someone almost immediately, whereas with Rogers you could usually wait for up to an hour on the chat. My questions were answered quickly and extra care was taken to explain how to transition from Rogers to Teksavvy in terms of timing it with minimal downtime. Once the chat was finished, I promptly received a full transcript via email. Nice!

I will refrain from describing the cancellation process with Rogers, other than saying that as with any other interaction with them, it was painful.

Once I had give notice to Rogers, I booked an appointment for a technician to come out. It's not strictly necessary but I wanted to change the setup of where the internet connection goes to in my house. I had to choose three different time slots and within a few days I received confirmation of my first choice of time slot (because I followed the advise of the first CSR in terms of timing).

The technician showed up on time, did his thing but since he was sent from Rogers, he was not allowed to actually hook up the modem, since he is not allowed to touch the competitor's equipment (hee hee), which is fair enough.

I didn't have a chance to try out the internet connection that night, but instead hooked up the laptop the following day. It did not work. I went online with my phone and booked a call back, which I received within the time frame specified. Turns out that since it was a company laptop, there were some settings I could not change in terms of networking. I didn't have the desktop set up, so the CSR gave me a few things to check for once I had the chance. As soon as I hooked up the desktop, everything was working perfectly, I didn't have to change any settings.

Later on in the day, I received another call from Teksavvy, just wanting to make sure that the transition had gone through and to follow up from my ticket earlier in the day.

Everything's been running smoothly for days now, I have triple speeds compared to Rogers and no complaints.

I have to say I was a bit nervous with signing up based on many of the reviews on this website, specifically hammering Teksavvy's support system and slow activation service. I have to say that my experience so far has been the polar opposite, I find that I have received the support I needed within the time frames provided and all CSRs on both chat and in the call center have gone above and beyond to assist. Thank you Phyllis, Kevin and Chris for excellent service.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad to hear you experience with us was of one that you enjoyed.

As for the thanks you have give Phyllis, Kevin and Chris for excellent service, I've forwarded this compliment to management.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments in the future.

Teddy123

@teksavvy.com

Price going up in January

Hi,
The Prices are going up in January 2014 just over 2 dollars. That is not fair to a person with a fixed income and on Pension. Just down grade my Internet this spring to save some money and now it's going up again. Charging over 2 Dollars per customer they are still making allot of Money on us. I don't see that you have to charge the customers that much Money. I have been with TekSavvy for years. A Person on a fixed income or on Pension shouldn't be charged that much or charged at all plus 13% Taxes that isn't Fair to any of us.
Ted+

Review by ohzopants See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "I get the full speed I pay for and a nice big data cap"
Overall "Best value internet package available to me, by far"

I get exactly what I was sold, consistently. 15/1 for for 42.95$/month. There is no throttling at all on my line anymore.

There are occasional slow downs on some evenings, but it always remains usable.

I transferred over from Rogers and Rogers chose to disconnect me completely instead; it took about 10 days to get me reconnected by them.

I'm using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem (Webstar) that I already owned so I can't comment on the modems available from Teksavvy.

I have not needed tech support to date, so I can't comment there.

UPDATE - 2012/03/26: After about a year of service I can safely say that it still rocks. The monthly rate has gone up a bit (mostly due to the CRTC, now at 46.95$/month before tax), but my download speed's been upped twice so far: first 15Mbps to 24Mbps, and then again from 24Mbps to 28Mbps. Still haven't needed technical service of any kind, so still no comments there.

UPDATE - 2013/11/20: I recently purchased a new house and despite the annoyance of having to fully cancel my account and to formally open a new one (along with all the associated fees), the process went smoothly and I had fully functional internet on the day that it was promised.

member for 6.2 years, 1075 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Review

Hello ohzopants,

Thank you so much for the review! We're always happy to see customers are enjoying our services and we're thrilled to see that after years with us you haven't had any service issues!

If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us here on our DSLReports Direct forum! We're always happy to be of assistance!

Best regards,
Jon

Review by zurk See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "excellent service no issues."
Bad "website needs improvement."
Overall "still a good quality service. doing the best they can do."

too many complainers on forum but i have been with ts for 3 yrs with no issues and only 2 6hr downtimes. 25/2.5 on sb5101 i got free.

TS has raised their rates significantly with practically no warning so im a bit unhappy. still more competitive than shaw and telus here at 25 megs so staying on for now. for new customers it makes little sense at these rates.

update:

another year gone by, rates have dropped to what they were previously so $/meg is now good for new customers. a few problems with pings/packet loss which were resolved in 2 days. problem of low bandwidth (10Mbps instead of 24Mbps at peak times and normal otherwise) now since they changed their routing in BC. hopeful of an upgrade as marc promised on the forums it will be soon to bring bandwidth up to 24mbps at peak times. i still do not have a backup internet connection but might get a DSL thru another reseller here in BC if they continue to have routing issues. so far teksavvy is up 99.97% with Downtime 2h 56m and Number of Downtimes 53 over 1 year. much better than 2 years ago.

another update and another year gone by:

TSI bandwidth is now full at peak again and all ping issues are resolved. no more complaints about routing. i have decided not to go with a backup internet connection for now as they are more reliable than before.

Update after 6 months -- I had a five day outage which cost me significant money + time due to Shaw - I have now added a lightspeed DSL second line and bonded it with a Zyxel USG300 security gateway. All seems fine now. Not blaming TSI for it but it was very stressful.

Comments:

EAgergrg

@teksavvy.com

This is what passes as a 'review' here?

Because you're one of the lucky ones on uncongested POI's, we're complainers?

OK there, sir. Flawed logic; shitty review.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
·TekSavvy DSL

"too many complainers on forum ....

I couldn't agree more with your comment. I've been with TSI since 2009 and had nothing but the best customer service and internet performance at a fair price. Unfortunately I don't go into the forum much anymore. I'm just sick of the whining and the petty complaints. Too bad too, the forum used to be a great place to hang out and learn.
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: "too many complainers on forum ....

Thanks for the Update

Thanks for posting an update. Always happy to see people continue to enjoy the service & see that we are trying to keep pace with the demand.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

Thank you for the update! :)

Hello,

I happy to hear you’re still enjoying the service. We certainly do apologize for any inconvenience during an outage. We do work diligently to resolve outages as quickly as possible for our customers.

As always if you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

Thank you for the updated review and keeping us posted on your TekSavvy Journey!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by savoiecg See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "great speed and usage for the price "
Bad "at the mercy of the rogers network still "
Overall "pain in the a$$ to get it going but great now that it is "

I ordered the 150/10 cable package for 84.## a month plus taxes a month ahead of my Rogers cancellation date. Rogers rather than transferring me sent a tech to do a physical disconnect. After a bunch of calls to teksavvy I got a Rogers tech to come out for a week after my internet was to be active. That all went fine until I did a speed test and was only receiving 6Mbs/256kbs. Another couple of calls to teksavvy and all was good getting a strong 150/10 and happy with the customer care I received. You need to be patient to get it going because of obstacles with the cable companies. But great value once it's all set up.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

Hello,

Happy to see things all turned out well for you. I can certainly understand the frustrations you had to go through to get your service up & running & it's certainly not something we aim for. But at the end of the day, we appreciate your patience as we worked with the vendor to get you hooked up properly.

Review by CaptainMazda See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Speeds seem consistently fast even during peak hours"
Bad "Can't check monthly cable usage"
Overall "After being hung out to dry with DSL, I finally have a stable internet connection"

·TekSavvy DSL
For the record, the only reason I'm on cable is because Teksavvy and Bell forced my hand. The past 3 weeks, my DSL connection was either extremely slow or constantly dropping. Teksavvy managed to get Bell to send a couple clueless technicians on a few different occasions and they only made things worse. After engaging in an endless game of musical chairs with Teksavvy's tech support and their unfulfilled promises of getting my issue fixed, I finally had enough and switched to cable. No discounts or anything for the troubles I had or the loyalty I've shown, unfortunately.

The cable seems to be working great, I'm getting full speeds even during peak hours and I hope it continues this way. Please don't make me come back and change my review like I had to with DSL. Teksavvy is really great when everything's working fine, but if you run into connection issues, you might be SOL. Their techs and reps are courteous at least, but sometimes getting a hold of them when things go bad is a challenge in itself. I'm really hoping I can put those issues behind me now.

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Our apologies that we (in conjunction with Bell) were not able to remedy your DSL issues.

It is good news to hear that your cable connection is working well.

We are working diligently with our cable vendor to obtain a tool that will enable our customers to track their usage.

Regards,

TSI Alan
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by recneps See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Speed and bandwidth for $, no money for Bell."
Bad "Slight delay in getting issues fixed"
Overall "I'd take them over robbers any day."

I've been with Teksavvy DSL for 5 years without issue, cable has been the same so far.
$54 all-in gets me a more than adequate 24+ mbps and 300GB data per month.
Peak slowdowns aren't really an issue for my neighbourhood, nor do I experience it from TSI's end to much extent. I'd estimate I get at least 20mbps, even at the worst times. The majority of time I'm receiving the full rated speed.
Have not noticed any downtime in 3 months, which is also good news.

One year update: a couple minor outages, most I didn't even notice.
It's been up every time I needed it (e.g. working from home over vpn) and has been consistently fast.
My good rating still holds.
Especially with a speed increase to 28 for the same money, and potential future speed upgrade (hopefully for same price as well)

Two year update:
Had a signal issue with my modem/line. While there were a couple days in limbo thanks to response time from rogers, I was back up and running (tech visited home and adjusted signal) within a week of reporting the issue.
Upgraded more or less laterally from 28/1 to 25/2, getting essentially the same level of service for $10 less per month.
Very few outages outside of my signal problem, still happy.

member for 8.1 years, 2026 visits, last login: 29 days ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review and words of support.

Good to hear you are enjoying the service. We do strive to be Different in a Good Way!

TSI Alan
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

member for 1.9 years, 615 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Review by Fraoch See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Seamless switchover, high caps, good value for money"
Bad "Upfront cost high, requires modem purchase and connection fee"
Overall "Good, responsive ISP, refreshingly different than belligerent corporate ISPs"

I have been on Rogers for a number of years. I couldn't really fault their Internet service technically, there were probably only 2 hour-long outages in 5 years. But what was bothering me about Rogers was:

- modem rental fees

- yearly cost increases

- caps

The final straw was when we discovered Netflix. Suddenly our bandwidth usage increased and those caps seemed quite restrictive. What's more, the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem we were renting caused Rogers to restrict our cap to 60 GB from 80 GB (why? A slower modem has no impact on usage! We'd just get to the cap slower!)

When they wanted to charge me more per month to get the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get the 80 GB cap, I had it.

TekSavvy provides 300 GB caps, or unlimited. I am getting 28/1 as opposed to 12/0.5 for $5 less/month with Rogers' latest cost increase - add the modem rental fee and it's $9 less/month.

The upfront costs are high - the modem must be purchased, plus the install fee plus the first month or service is a hefty charge. However you own the modem forever and can sell it. And it's not one of those crappy all-in-one locked-down "wireless gateway" units that Rogers forces you to accept, it's a simple modem, nothing more.

The switchover went perfectly, and that was over the Easter long weekend. I just unplugged the Rogers modem, plugged in the new TekSavvy-supplied Technicolor DCM476, waited a minute until it connected, got a new IP through my router and that was it. I power-cycled the modem later and it received a new speed profile - all my speed tests indicated I was getting what I was paying for, often considerably more (with Rogers "Speedboost", which I can still get).

As a company, TekSavvy is much more refreshing to deal with. Rogers is a big closed-down corporate juggernaut where you can't find honest answers. TekSavvy is incredibly open and honest. Take a look at these forums, when was the last time you saw Rogers' CEO participating? Never! TSI Marc, TekSavvy's CEO, has 5500 posts here. He - and the entire company - are more techno-geek types like me rather than the corporate bigwigs that make up Rogers. Just take a look at them giddily installing a Cisco 7000 on their YouTube channel, where have you ever seen transparency like that at Rogers?

Another good thing - with TekSavvy it's the same price for everybody. With Rogers it was getting like buying a used car. You can get a good deal with Rogers if your negotiating skills are good enough and the CSR is in a good mood. In fact, once I mentioned I was switching to TekSavvy, Rogers promised me a deal designed to crush anything TekSavvy could offer. Why didn't they do this when I was a long-time paying customer?

And TekSavvy will shortly be introducing new speed tiers at great prices. I'm eagerly awaiting June 10th when I can upgrade to 35/3 for just $3 more per month, or I can pay just $1 less/month than what I was paying Rogers before (including the modem rental) and get 45/4!

TekSavvy makes me feel good about my ISP again! I'm getting good value for the money. They are honest people to deal with who are providing a good service for my money rather than trying simply to maximize their profits while minimizing my service with my money.

Update: I upgraded to 35/3 and things have continued well since.

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks!

Hi Fraoch,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services on DSLr.

Welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Cheers,

Andre

Review by ghent123 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Value for the money is great, but Marc and other support staff being very active on the DSLr forums is just the cherry on top."
Bad "Any issues that requires rogers to look into more in depth can take some time, but knew that getting into it anyways"
Overall "For the price you can't beat what you get from it."

I've been with TekSavvys for just over 2 years now.
Since that I believe I had a few issues.
1. was I had the old 475 frame ware 2.08 which caused many error and reboots of the modem. After talking with TekSavvys about it and going through the troubleshooting anything else that could be causing the issue. At the end of the day TekSavvy sent me a modem with the updated frame ware and I sent the old one back once I was up and running. No cost to me.
For gaming it was a nightmare during the time, but couldn't blame TekSavvys for it since it was an upgrade done to rogers network that caused all the issue in the first place.

2. During my move to my new place the move dates got changed at the last min since the place wasn't ready yet. 5 days until I was meant to be moved I had to call TekSavvys and was told it was short notice and unsure if they can cancel the move request.
Sure enough it wasn't enough time took about a week to get my cable back up, but they credited me the move order for my troubles which was great. Wasn't teksavvys fault or rogers, but was on my end.

Network has gone down a few time but normal only do to rogers doing updates to my POI or lines in the area, normal don't find out until it happens and I call in to see what is going on but isn't long.

Some people have had some major issues on the POI I'm on St. Laurent POI in Ottawa but I haven't had most of the issues people have been having.

Always been having the speeds I've being paying for or better (28/1). Even during peak hours not many slow downs.

I'm looking forward the upgrades this summer and better upload speeds.

Just wish the CRTC would fully see what is going on with internet in Canada and be more helpfully towards customers and make it a better market for us all.

Last but not least TekSavvys is still growing and yes there phone ques can be a bit high at some times at least there is help on the DSLr forums for some issues and in the direct forums and doing a lot of work on myworld to make a lot more things easier and quicker without having call in.

member for 2.6 years, 659 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the feedback in concerns to the overall performance of your services, and glad to hear that you are happy with the service. In concerns to our phone times we are hiring again, so this should be alleviated soon.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and feel free to get a hold of us anytime!

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."