TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by hsheriff See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Good "Reasonable Data Caps, Reliable Internet Connection, Speeds as advertised"
Overall "No Problems, Everything as Advertised"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Signed up over a year ago, had to call a few times to get everything sorted out before signing up but everything has been perfect since then. Speeds have always been great and have had no problems whatsoever.

member for 2.2 years, 566 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: review

Hello hakimsheriff,

Thank you very much for your review, Glad to hear everything is working great as advertised!

If you have any questions, you can certainly get in touch with us anytime.

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Getting the Advertised Speeds, 300GB Cap, No more Rogers."
Bad "N/A"
Overall "A great company and a way to stick it to the incumbents."

TekSavvy Ontario Cable
-----------------------
I ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable on September 15, 2011 and chose September 28-30 for my activation dates. I got a confirmed install date from Rogers for September 28, 2011 between 11-2, the tech came around 11:30am. I had him run a new RG6 coax line to replace my aging RG59 to where the modem was going.

I am using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 cable modem and I am averaging around 2.0-2.5Mb/s on multi-threaded downloads. Getting a SB6121 setup on my account sometime within the next week.

UPDATE: October 28, 2011
Just a quick update on my TekSavvy cable, the connection has been perfect without any issues in Ottawa on the Fallowfield POI. I decided against getting an SB6121 just to save the $120+tax and as such my speeds during off peak are 2.0-2.5MB/s and during peak 1.5-2.5MB/s.

UPDATE: November 23, 2011
Still going strong on the Fallowfield POI, I've been lucky and was able to miss being hit with DHCP issues so far. Although I had a disconnect about 2 weeks ago around 2:00 AM and I'm not sure if it was related to the DHCP issues in Ontario but I was back online within 5-10 minutes and have had no issues since.

UPDATE: March 26, 2012
A quick update, I got the speed boost from 24Mbps -> 28Mbps while still using my SB5100 and I haven't had any issues with it. Still got some node congestion during peak but off peak I'm able to sustain 28Mbps.

UPDATE: June 10, 2012
Still going strong with my trusty SB5100 on the extreme tier, 28Mbps down & 1Mbps up, and although their is still node congestion at night it's nothing that I can't live with.

TekSavvy Quebec Cable
-----------------------
I ordered TekSavvy High Speed Cable on August 29, 2011 and got a confirmed activation date of September 16, 2011. Install was done with no problem at all and the modem synced up to the Videotron network within 30 minutes of the install.

Using a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100r2 cable modem and I am averaging around 1Mb/s on all downloads.

UPDATE: November 23, 2011
Everything is still running smoothly with the Quebec cable, small little issues here and there but they are too hard to trace due to living in an apartment. The issues were random drops for a few minutes throughout late September to early October but nothing since and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere before the modem as the modem was running for years on Rogers with no issues.

UPDATE: March 26, 2012
No issues since November, the internet has been stable and runs at 8/1Mbps without any issues. I did change the plan from Express Cable 8 to Express Cable 8 Lite as I barley even used up the 50GB of usage from the old plan tier.

UPDATE: June 10, 2012
Still no issues since the November issues and still getting the full 8/1Mbps speed.

member for 4.1 years, 1863 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Review

Hello Jcohen,

Thank you for the review! I’m happy to see you have had TekSavvy service for a while and have been enjoying the service. I am also very glad to see there has been minimal issues with our connection. If you have any questions regarding your service please do not hesitate to send us a message. We are more than happy to help you.

Thanks again for your review and please continue to keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

Re: Review

lol why did this get bumped 7 months later?

Review by tristen1230 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,ON
Good "Tech Support, Pre Sales and the Value is Great!!!! Getting up to 16 Mbps download and 2 up on a 14 Mbps download 1 up plan!"
Bad "Very Good Service and Internet"
Overall "Great Service"

·TekSavvy DSL
I am becoming a beta tester for Cable! Right now I know those 3 things due to my past experience with Teksavvy DSL which was great. I will be adding some more to my review soon.

02/10/2013 - The week went by so quick! Cannot wait for tomorrow!

02/11/2013 - The day has come!!!!! So I did a speedtest and I am surprised with the results. I am on a 14 down and 1 up plan and I am actually getting more then 14 down sometimes (have gotten up to 16 while downloading) and am getting 2 up. Better speeds then what I was getting with Cogeco. Do not know if this will change once it becomes public in my area but for know I am very happy!

02/23/2013 - I am so far really happy. While downloading so far my highest speed is 20 Mbps while downloading and average is from 14 Mbps - 17 Mbps on a DOCSIS 2.0.

03/26/2013 - Got the DOCSIS 3.0 modem today. Got swapped through the Cogeco system and getting perfect 20 Mbps speeds. Thanks Teksavvy! Also Teksavvy offers to take my other modem back free shipping. Only had to pay $25 dollars more for the DOCSIS 3.0 since it was more expensive than the 2.0.

06/18/2013 - Just took a Speedtest at 12 noon and speeds as advertised!

12/14/2013 - I haven't updated my review in awhile, so I will now. Since my last update everything has been fantastic. I can't remember any outages I have experienced or slowness in my speed. I am still getting advertised speeds and even 4 Mbps upload which is 2 Mbps over the advertised which is great! Thanks Teksavvy!

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Your review

Hello,

Firstly, I would just like to thank you for your current review. It is great to hear all was well with your DSL service, thank you for taking the time to let us know!

Secondly, yes, please do let us know how things go with the cable.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSI Marty
Chatham, ON
Thank you for the updates, We are ecstatic your enjoying the services!
romeom
Techguy135

join:2007-03-06
Belleville, ON
·TekSavvy DSL
Also in Belleville, I had the 14meg(20 real world) speeds which was great.. until 4:30pm. Then from 4:30pm-11:30pm less then a meg most of the time.

Cogeco would say, "there is no congestion in that area". Bahah.

Cogeco was completely useless in communications with Teksavvy and offered no sign that they would be interested in fixing the issue. They kept saying unplug your modem from your router because you have a virus... then they would test it and tell me I still had a virus when it was only the modem connected.

I can tell you that there is no magical modem virus pixie at this time LOL.

Terrible local POI and no sign that they will increase or fix it in the near future.

Switched back to DSL.

The inter-company communication definitely needs to be addressed as the gap there isn't getting any smaller.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Interesting find also in the BETA before roll out.

I was with Cogeco. Once my phone was out and they made me rearange the wires and since that did not work they checked their lines and nothing was wrong so they refused to send a tech out. They finally did after I asked them many time. Nearest they could do was a week. So no phone for a week. Internet was also out. So no phone or internet for a week. The guy came over and a squirrel chewed on a wire.

Chatham, ON
Thanks for the update. Glad to see things are working properly for you.

Chatham, ON
Glad to see all is still working & that you are satisfied with the service.

Never hesitate to let us know if you have encounter any issues.

Review by BoogaBooga See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Speed is as advertised. Usage is Unlimited."
Bad "High up-front costs.. (i.e Modem + activation fee + first month payment at once)"
Overall "Pretty good deal considering what's out there..."

·VMedia
I placed the order on Nov. 1, 2010 and picked up the modem on the 4th. The tech came to activate the service on the 8th. It took seven days to get up and running, which isn't too bad considering they have to go through Rogers for activations.

It's somewhat costly to get up and running (especially if you don't have a modem). My total was $199.90 which includes the activation fee, SB6120 modem, the monthly payment and HST. Your second payment date is a month from the day you are activated.

UPDATE 5/31/2012

There was a price increase a few months but the speed was also bumped from 15mbps to 24mbps and now 28mbps. Upload remains at 1mbps. The monthly usage was also increased from 200gb to 300gb since signing up.

With speed boost, I can get over 50mbps for a short time. Congestion is not an issue but this depends on your area. Will continue to use TSI Cable in the foreseeable future.

UPDATE 1/26/2013

Recently switched to Cable 28 Unlimited. It's a bit expensive but it is unlimited internet so I don't mind. Total cost is 70$ including tax. There is word that the upload speed will increase soon, but I have not seen this yet.

UPDATE 12/10/2013

Service is still great. Can't remember the last time there was any downtime.

member for 10.4 years, 1728 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Taunia

Review

Hello,

Thank you for your update, we appreciate when our customer provide us feedback on the service.

We are glad to hear you are enjoying your 28Mbps unlimited package. For the upload speed increase we are looking into this and hope to have an update for our customers soon.

Taunia

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Review Update

Thanks for updating your review I am glad to see you are still enjoying our services!

Review by Montreal DSL See Profile

• Location: Montreal-DSL
Good "Better, more stable connection with cable than DSL (in Quebec)"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Better cable internet than DSL internet, at least in my case"

Changed from 6M DSL dry-loop to 5M cable.

Is is cheaper. SImilar download and better upload speed. Connection more stable. Videotron tech did a good job with wiring.

Not sure what I did not change before.

For Quebec I do recommend Teksavvy Cable service

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

response to review

Thanks for the positive review! Appreciate you taking the time to write this. Any questions or concerns feel free to contact us anytime.

Cheers!
Liz

Review by corellama See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Consistent speed. Good Price. Doesn't mess with traffic."
Bad "If you have a problem, you deal with Teksavvy who deals with Rogers. Takes longer"
Overall "Speed and price are great"

I'm on 35Mbps down, 3Mbps up. I've been with Teksavvy for 4 years. We had one problem with the line into our house. It took about 13 days to get it fixed totally. Other than that one problem they've been great.

member for 3.4 years, 671 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review.

Hello,

Sounds like you may have had a rough start, but doesn't sound like it's a regular occurrence. Glad to to see that although we aren't perfect, you are still a satisfied customer.

Review by Lasat See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Fast downloads, no contract"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Excellent choice for provider."

I recently switched from Rogers to Teksavvy. I'm fully aware that Teksavvy makes use of the Rogers infrastructure, but the deal is so much better.

Before I signed up for Teksavvy, I did have a few questions regarding how long activation would take from the time I placed my order, so I used the sales chat option to ask those questions. I was connected with someone almost immediately, whereas with Rogers you could usually wait for up to an hour on the chat. My questions were answered quickly and extra care was taken to explain how to transition from Rogers to Teksavvy in terms of timing it with minimal downtime. Once the chat was finished, I promptly received a full transcript via email. Nice!

I will refrain from describing the cancellation process with Rogers, other than saying that as with any other interaction with them, it was painful.

Once I had give notice to Rogers, I booked an appointment for a technician to come out. It's not strictly necessary but I wanted to change the setup of where the internet connection goes to in my house. I had to choose three different time slots and within a few days I received confirmation of my first choice of time slot (because I followed the advise of the first CSR in terms of timing).

The technician showed up on time, did his thing but since he was sent from Rogers, he was not allowed to actually hook up the modem, since he is not allowed to touch the competitor's equipment (hee hee), which is fair enough.

I didn't have a chance to try out the internet connection that night, but instead hooked up the laptop the following day. It did not work. I went online with my phone and booked a call back, which I received within the time frame specified. Turns out that since it was a company laptop, there were some settings I could not change in terms of networking. I didn't have the desktop set up, so the CSR gave me a few things to check for once I had the chance. As soon as I hooked up the desktop, everything was working perfectly, I didn't have to change any settings.

Later on in the day, I received another call from Teksavvy, just wanting to make sure that the transition had gone through and to follow up from my ticket earlier in the day.

Everything's been running smoothly for days now, I have triple speeds compared to Rogers and no complaints.

I have to say I was a bit nervous with signing up based on many of the reviews on this website, specifically hammering Teksavvy's support system and slow activation service. I have to say that my experience so far has been the polar opposite, I find that I have received the support I needed within the time frames provided and all CSRs on both chat and in the call center have gone above and beyond to assist. Thank you Phyllis, Kevin and Chris for excellent service.

member for 1 year, 4 visits, last login: 344 days ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad to hear you experience with us was of one that you enjoyed.

As for the thanks you have give Phyllis, Kevin and Chris for excellent service, I've forwarded this compliment to management.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments in the future.

Teddy123

@teksavvy.com

Price going up in January

Hi,
The Prices are going up in January 2014 just over 2 dollars. That is not fair to a person with a fixed income and on Pension. Just down grade my Internet this spring to save some money and now it's going up again. Charging over 2 Dollars per customer they are still making allot of Money on us. I don't see that you have to charge the customers that much Money. I have been with TekSavvy for years. A Person on a fixed income or on Pension shouldn't be charged that much or charged at all plus 13% Taxes that isn't Fair to any of us.
Ted+

Review by zurk See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "excellent service no issues."
Bad "website needs improvement."
Overall "still a good quality service. doing the best they can do."

too many complainers on forum but i have been with ts for 3 yrs with no issues and only 2 6hr downtimes. 25/2.5 on sb5101 i got free.

TS has raised their rates significantly with practically no warning so im a bit unhappy. still more competitive than shaw and telus here at 25 megs so staying on for now. for new customers it makes little sense at these rates.

update:

another year gone by, rates have dropped to what they were previously so $/meg is now good for new customers. a few problems with pings/packet loss which were resolved in 2 days. problem of low bandwidth (10Mbps instead of 24Mbps at peak times and normal otherwise) now since they changed their routing in BC. hopeful of an upgrade as marc promised on the forums it will be soon to bring bandwidth up to 24mbps at peak times. i still do not have a backup internet connection but might get a DSL thru another reseller here in BC if they continue to have routing issues. so far teksavvy is up 99.97% with Downtime 2h 56m and Number of Downtimes 53 over 1 year. much better than 2 years ago.

another update and another year gone by:

TSI bandwidth is now full at peak again and all ping issues are resolved. no more complaints about routing. i have decided not to go with a backup internet connection for now as they are more reliable than before.

Update after 6 months -- I had a five day outage which cost me significant money + time due to Shaw - I have now added a lightspeed DSL second line and bonded it with a Zyxel USG300 security gateway. All seems fine now. Not blaming TSI for it but it was very stressful.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

EAgergrg

@teksavvy.com

This is what passes as a 'review' here?

Because you're one of the lucky ones on uncongested POI's, we're complainers?

OK there, sir. Flawed logic; shitty review.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
·TekSavvy DSL

"too many complainers on forum ....

I couldn't agree more with your comment. I've been with TSI since 2009 and had nothing but the best customer service and internet performance at a fair price. Unfortunately I don't go into the forum much anymore. I'm just sick of the whining and the petty complaints. Too bad too, the forum used to be a great place to hang out and learn.
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Re: "too many complainers on forum ....

Thanks for the Update

Thanks for posting an update. Always happy to see people continue to enjoy the service & see that we are trying to keep pace with the demand.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

Thank you for the update! :)

Hello,

I happy to hear you’re still enjoying the service. We certainly do apologize for any inconvenience during an outage. We do work diligently to resolve outages as quickly as possible for our customers.

As always if you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

Thank you for the updated review and keeping us posted on your TekSavvy Journey!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by savoiecg See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "great speed and usage for the price "
Bad "at the mercy of the rogers network still "
Overall "pain in the a$$ to get it going but great now that it is "

I ordered the 150/10 cable package for 84.## a month plus taxes a month ahead of my Rogers cancellation date. Rogers rather than transferring me sent a tech to do a physical disconnect. After a bunch of calls to teksavvy I got a Rogers tech to come out for a week after my internet was to be active. That all went fine until I did a speed test and was only receiving 6Mbs/256kbs. Another couple of calls to teksavvy and all was good getting a strong 150/10 and happy with the customer care I received. You need to be patient to get it going because of obstacles with the cable companies. But great value once it's all set up.

member for 1 year, 57 visits, last login: 227 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your Review

Hello,

Happy to see things all turned out well for you. I can certainly understand the frustrations you had to go through to get your service up & running & it's certainly not something we aim for. But at the end of the day, we appreciate your patience as we worked with the vendor to get you hooked up properly.

Review by CaptainMazda See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Speeds seem consistently fast even during peak hours"
Bad "Can't check monthly cable usage"
Overall "After being hung out to dry with DSL, I finally have a stable internet connection"

·TekSavvy DSL
For the record, the only reason I'm on cable is because Teksavvy and Bell forced my hand. The past 3 weeks, my DSL connection was either extremely slow or constantly dropping. Teksavvy managed to get Bell to send a couple clueless technicians on a few different occasions and they only made things worse. After engaging in an endless game of musical chairs with Teksavvy's tech support and their unfulfilled promises of getting my issue fixed, I finally had enough and switched to cable. No discounts or anything for the troubles I had or the loyalty I've shown, unfortunately.

The cable seems to be working great, I'm getting full speeds even during peak hours and I hope it continues this way. Please don't make me come back and change my review like I had to with DSL. Teksavvy is really great when everything's working fine, but if you run into connection issues, you might be SOL. Their techs and reps are courteous at least, but sometimes getting a hold of them when things go bad is a challenge in itself. I'm really hoping I can put those issues behind me now.

member for 7.3 years, 361 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Our apologies that we (in conjunction with Bell) were not able to remedy your DSL issues.

It is good news to hear that your cable connection is working well.

We are working diligently with our cable vendor to obtain a tool that will enable our customers to track their usage.

TSI Alan
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee