TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

member for 2.2 years, 687 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by Fraoch See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Seamless switchover, high caps, good value for money"
Bad "Upfront cost high, requires modem purchase and connection fee"
Overall "Good, responsive ISP, refreshingly different than belligerent corporate ISPs"

I have been on Rogers for a number of years. I couldn't really fault their Internet service technically, there were probably only 2 hour-long outages in 5 years. But what was bothering me about Rogers was:

- modem rental fees

- yearly cost increases

- caps

The final straw was when we discovered Netflix. Suddenly our bandwidth usage increased and those caps seemed quite restrictive. What's more, the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem we were renting caused Rogers to restrict our cap to 60 GB from 80 GB (why? A slower modem has no impact on usage! We'd just get to the cap slower!)

When they wanted to charge me more per month to get the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get the 80 GB cap, I had it.

TekSavvy provides 300 GB caps, or unlimited. I am getting 28/1 as opposed to 12/0.5 for $5 less/month with Rogers' latest cost increase - add the modem rental fee and it's $9 less/month.

The upfront costs are high - the modem must be purchased, plus the install fee plus the first month or service is a hefty charge. However you own the modem forever and can sell it. And it's not one of those crappy all-in-one locked-down "wireless gateway" units that Rogers forces you to accept, it's a simple modem, nothing more.

The switchover went perfectly, and that was over the Easter long weekend. I just unplugged the Rogers modem, plugged in the new TekSavvy-supplied Technicolor DCM476, waited a minute until it connected, got a new IP through my router and that was it. I power-cycled the modem later and it received a new speed profile - all my speed tests indicated I was getting what I was paying for, often considerably more (with Rogers "Speedboost", which I can still get).

As a company, TekSavvy is much more refreshing to deal with. Rogers is a big closed-down corporate juggernaut where you can't find honest answers. TekSavvy is incredibly open and honest. Take a look at these forums, when was the last time you saw Rogers' CEO participating? Never! TSI Marc, TekSavvy's CEO, has 5500 posts here. He - and the entire company - are more techno-geek types like me rather than the corporate bigwigs that make up Rogers. Just take a look at them giddily installing a Cisco 7000 on their YouTube channel, where have you ever seen transparency like that at Rogers?

Another good thing - with TekSavvy it's the same price for everybody. With Rogers it was getting like buying a used car. You can get a good deal with Rogers if your negotiating skills are good enough and the CSR is in a good mood. In fact, once I mentioned I was switching to TekSavvy, Rogers promised me a deal designed to crush anything TekSavvy could offer. Why didn't they do this when I was a long-time paying customer?

And TekSavvy will shortly be introducing new speed tiers at great prices. I'm eagerly awaiting June 10th when I can upgrade to 35/3 for just $3 more per month, or I can pay just $1 less/month than what I was paying Rogers before (including the modem rental) and get 45/4!

TekSavvy makes me feel good about my ISP again! I'm getting good value for the money. They are honest people to deal with who are providing a good service for my money rather than trying simply to maximize their profits while minimizing my service with my money.

Update: I upgraded to 35/3 and things have continued well since.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks!

Hi Fraoch,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services on DSLr.

Welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Andre

Review by JWB See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great People, Low Price, High Bandwidth and I Get to Support 'The Little Guy'"
Bad "Subject to Incumbent Abuse on the 'Last Mile'"
Overall "I Sould Have Switched Sooner - Much Sooner!"

And so draws to an end my second day with my new ISP ..... Teksavvy, TS. So what do I think so far? Well, read on and find out!

On My Last ISP

Yea I know, this should be about my new ISP, but it’s my ink and my paper so I’ll put here what I want to! OK?!

Years ago my father gave me some advice which for most of my life I've chosen to follow, straying occasionally, but generally heeding his words .... "If you can't say anything nice about someone it's best not to say anything at all". So, regarding my last, Ontario based ISP I'll simply abide by his advice, say nothing, and make him proud!

Now, that said and out of the way, I just want to tell you a few things about that outfit that I just left........naw, can’t do it, just can't bring myself to do it!!

On Ordering from TS

Immediately upon giving my last ISP the 30 day notice I was on the blower with TS speaking with a customer rep named Amy, my memory serving me correctly. She was very nice to speak with, polite and attentive to what I was saying. When I told her I was considering the 35Mbps x 300Gb/mo plan she inquired as to what I would be using the internet for. I responded to her question and she advised me that I would probably find the 25Mbps x 300 GB/mo adequate for my needs, if it didn't work out, we could always upgrade. Imagine that, a customer service rep 'downselling'! (The last joker I was doing business would never do that, trust me!) I took her advice and the rest of our conversation went smoothly. I was advised of the terms and conditions and the costs involved all of which I agreed with and settled with a credit card.

Within an hour I received an e-mail confirmation re my conversation with Amy and I responded accordingly.

A day or two later the modem arrived at the local post office and I picked it up.

A couple of days following my conversation with Amy I received a phone call from another TS rep who again confirmed my personal details and order. After this conversation I sat back and waited.

A week or so passed before I received a third call, this time advising me that my last ISP would not accept TS’s request for a simple change over, ie a modem swap out as they said they had no record of my address having their internet service installed. Strange, let me assure you that their billing department sure had the address down pat and had it for a decade plus or minus! Whatever, this was not a real problem for TS who advised me they would simply withdrew their initial request for a modem swap and in place enter a request for a new service installation at my residence.

The next day another call came advising that everything was again on track and I was given three possible dates for the tech to come and the timeframes to choose from. I selected the date immediately following my termination date with my last ISP and requested the 08:00 am – 11:00 am timeframe.

I heard nothing else until yesterday morning when the installation tech arrived in my driveway and from there it all went down like poop through a goose! The tech, contracted by my last ISP, showed up within minutes of 08:00 and he was great, couldn't have been a nicer guy! He checked the box outside my house, removed a non-required splitter left there some years back, cleaned the ground connection and put a new orange tag on the line. Next, in the house, he set up the modem and my router. Within fifteen minutes I was up and running!

But wait! To my surprise I wasn’t finished, or perhaps better said, my last ISP wasn’t finished. Around noon I received another knock on my door. It was a second tech, also a contract person working for my last ISP, who had been sent out to place a blue tag on my line. Unbelievable! This led me to wondering just what was wrong with the first tech doing that, why one tech for orange tags and one for blue, somebody color blind or does my old ISP have money to burn? Whatever.......

The Service

I’ve been connected at this point for near 36 hours, all is as stable as had been with the last incumbent’s service. Browsing, e-mail, Netflix, all moving along as one would expect. Couldn’t ask for anything better, very pleased indeed! And oh, the speed, just a hair, a blond one at that, below advertised. I guess a nit picker would be on the trumpet to TS complaining, but I ain't no trumpet player!

Summary

So, there it is for what it’s worth. I look forward to a continued good relationship with TS well into the future. Thank you to all TS staff for making this possible, two big thumbs up!

PS

Connection Reliability, Technical Support and Services not rated, would be premature at this point.....

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Jwb,

Thank you for the wonderful review!!! I am very happy to have been enjoying the service for a few days now. I am also very happy that there was no issue with your installation, I am delighted to see that there was follow-up with you while we were scheduling the appointment. I am also happy to see the technician that came to your home ensured everything was connected and working and was friendly.

If you have any questions or concerns please send us a message through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct we are always happy to help!

Thanks again for this great review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services.

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Start Communicat..

Re: Review

The orange tag is for TPIA... however the blue tag means service disconnection! This means the tech has placed a tag authorizing whoever comes back to cut your entire houses cable!

There is a TPIA tag, and he may just hook it up to the TPIA signal, but if you want to make sure, put a piece of paper in a ziplock bag or something like that, and tape it onto the demarc saying:

TPIA SERVICE: DO NOT DISCONNECT.
JWB

join:2013-09-12
Canada

Re: Review

I only have one cable in the box, it's the TPIA service. No TV cable at all, it got the 'deep six' years back. For TV I use Shaw satellite, no wires in box for them...... I will also do as you note, thanks!

Review by cameler1989 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Excellent signal strength, superior speed, outstanding customer service"
Bad "Helpless at times, provides service over Rogers infrastructure, unreliable"
Overall "A great alternative for those that want great speeds at affordable prices, you DO HAVE TO COMPROMISE over realiability though."

Signed up for TSI cable internet in March, the service was up and running very quickly and I was pleased with the process.

I received excellent speeds... over the advertised number in fact, and I could not have been happier with the service.

However, the internet suddenly went out on August the 18th.

What followed was a real live example of the troubles and struggles customers have with TSI because of the incumbent providers. First, in order to receive support I had to have the latest firmware running on the modem.

Apparently, they did not have the ability to push an update through directly to the modem. Anyways, the modem swap took a week. Then after the swap, I had to have the modem provisioned by Rogers. This took another TWO WEEKS believe it or not. They said Rogers was extremely busy at the time and nothing could be done to help me out. Escalations were not answered.

After that, the new modem was provisioned and yet I still didn't have a signal to my apartment. I decided to call again and have a Rogers technician come to my home and fix the issue. This took ANOTHER WEEK.

So, in total, I was out of service from August the 18th to September the 18th. A whole month.

The final reason for the outage? It wasn't anything to do with TSI, it was a Rogers technician that suddenly got the urge to disconnect me from the cable utility box on the outside of my apartment building because I was not a cable TV customer with Rogers. The poor buggers thought I was leaching their TV?

I don't even have a TV in my home because I don't waste my life watching advertisements like a loser.

So, I believe they were sending me a message... sign up with our cable TV OR ELSE. Message received Rogers, message received.

Once my apartment was reconnected I was back to the great speeds and all was well.

I stayed as a customer because I honestly couldn't believe what was happening. In this day and age, where there are free wi fi connections for the general public in progressive places such as Seoul, Korea and others, here I was forced into buying a secondary DSL connection just to make sure I was online to do my business.

Throughout the process, I was in touch with real actual English speaking Canadians that made the ordeal a little easier to handle.

Anyways, I have no problems with Teksavvy as a company. They offer superior and unbeatable data transfer rates at speeds that are adequate for any techie or person that downloads stuff like steam games or movies off Netflix... They just get manhandled sometimes by the big guys in the room that like to cuddle with them without consent.

I am greatly saddened however, to see something as vital as infrastructure held in private hands. The internet is becoming something we can't live without, like the 401 and 427 that people take to work.

No, I don't want my damn internet to be like the 407. It should be free to all. The conglomerates are making a KILLING providing slow speeds at impossibly low bandwidth caps.

I love Teksavvy because I don't have to think about how much I download, the speed is great, and the Signal itself... is ROCK solid where I live.

Keep up the good fight, I'll hang on as your customer for as long as there aren't better alternatives out there.

By the numbers I have to give TSI a 3 star rating for service. Being out for as long as I was is completely unacceptable. Everything else is great as far as I'm concerned.

member for 1.5 years, 60 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Cameler1989,

Thank you for the review! I am happy to see you have been enjoying the service for a while with minimal issues. It is unfortunate you were having an issue when our vendor was taking quite some time to respond to us. We do apologize for those delays during the back to school period this year. Now that the service is back up for you I’m happy to see you are receiving a solid connection. This is wonderful to see.

If you have any questions in the future please message us through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to assist.

Thanks again for this review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey!

Review by nightowl See Profile

Good "good so far!!! don't have to worry about data capps!!!"
Bad "if you have cable you will be on rogers 2nd tier system"
Overall "get it!!!"

I was with Rogers since 2004 which was ultra reliable after they replaced my modem with a Motorola 3 months in. In 2008 after they introduced there data caps is when there QOS went into the toilet. I am a IT professional and download allot of Linux/MS OS's as well as depend on VPN's. This all started to get throttled big time. My rates also went up steadily. At the end I was paying 72$ for 32 down/1 up and 80 gig cap (funny how speeds and price would go up but my cap would stay the same. This was ridiculous and I didn't want to renegotiate every 6 months with Rogers to keep the price down.

In September 2012, gave my 30 day notice to Rogers to cancel my internet. I Bought a cable modem from a buddy at work that switched to teksavvy DSL. Called up TSI and ordered my package. CSR was polite and I was able to understand her (anybody that has dealt with bell knows what i mean)!!!! Connected the modem when i got home from work on my Rogers disconnection date and boom I have teksavvy internet!!! Painless!!! Note: they will charge an extra $60 startup fee and $100 to buy the modem so first month will be expensive!

Just to note that I did have an internet outage from 15:30 till 17:30 however the CEO of the company is on this site and did post a message about it and what to do after the service was restored (awesome!! let’s see the CEO of Rogers do that!). So the corp. guys do care!!

So just to recap....

Rogers:
32meg down / 1 meg up, 80 gig/month down/up limit = $72 after taxes and cable modem rental ($2)

teksavvy:
32 down / 1 up, 300 gig/month down/up limit = $53 after taxes

You do the math

It’s worth it just to not worry about the stupid caps!!

Update - 2013/10/08
It has been a year with TS. I've only had 2 major outages and one was due to a major fiber cut due to construction. I have also updated my connection to the 45/4 plan which was painless since I did it online.

Beware! If you do have a problem physical problem, it will take rogers 24 to 48 hours just to look at the TS trouble ticket, then a couple of days to send there tech's over (rogers is screwing TS due to all the customers they are loosing).

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Nightowl,

Thank you for the review! I am happy you have been enjoying our services for a little over a year now. I am very happy to see everything went smoothly with the transfer during your installation date. This is fantastic to see!

I’m also very ecstatic to see you have had consistent service the duration of the time you have been with us (other than the Fibre line cut) and I do hope you were you were not too inconvenienced when the Fibre cut occurred. We certainly worked diligently to have that repaired ASAP for all our affected customers.
If you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached in the Direct Forum and are always happy to help!

Thank you again for this wonderful review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey.

Review by MikeyPC See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great speeds, friendly service"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Great alternative to the big telecoms"

Called to set up the connection about 2 weeks before the move. Was able to get a date for 2 days after the move. Technician showed up bright and early, was very friendly. He asked where I would like it installed, and he made it happen. Tucked the wires neatly along the wall, made sure there was a great signal and even showed me the signal levels to ensure I was happy.

Modem took about 10 minutes to set itself up and after that I was surfing at 31/10. Looks like Videotron gives a little extra speed to ensure we get the speeds we're paying for unlike Rogers where it's almost always under the profile speeds.

Thanks TekSavvy!

note: I will update this if anything happens in the future

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi MikeyPC,

Thanks for the great review! Very happy to hear that everything went well! We are definitely happy to have you as a customer and if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Review by av2013 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Advertised 150/10 + Unlimited Uploads"
Bad "Modem was supposed to be provisioned on Sept 9th. Still Nothing."
Overall "Speeds are amazing and great value for the money but don't expect to get activated in any resonable amount of time."

I am switching from rogers to teksavvy. Purchased a new modem from TekSavvy and they promised it will be provisioned on Sept 9th. I still have no internet and when i call in to talk to support I have to wait for like 1-2 hrs before someones answers and then the agents are pretty much useless as they can't get anything done. I am told an escalation has been made to rogers to get the modem provisioned.

I will update this, if and when I get internet service with TekSavvy

##UPDATE##

My modem was activated Sept 21 and I have had amazing speeds since then. My last speed test was 146Mbps Down/ 9.76 Mbps Up, which is pretty much what was promised. I am loving the service but it was just a huge headache getting the modem activated as I was without internet for 12 days.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi anthanv,

Very sorry about the experience you are having so far. I'd like to take a look at your account and see where we currently are. Could you please PM me your account information?

Hi anthanv,

Happy to hear the service is running to expectation. Very sorry it took this long to have your modem provisioned. Our vendor had a lot of delays in actioning our requests around that time. We have seen some faster response times from them lately. If there is anything we can do to help, please, feel free to ask!

Review by dchdrake See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Fast steady connection"

Upgraded from 6M/800k DSL to 14M2M Unlimited cable back in February 2013. The install took a little longer because I wanted a Saturday install.

Not too long after the install, the speed went to 20M/2M. (This is in a Cogeco area). The bandwidth pricing changed within a few months (because of some CRTC rulings). I went to the 300G bandwidth limit as that was close to the same price. Teksavvy was also offering unlimited downloads between 2am-8am and uploads didn't count towards your limit. Recently in Cogeco areas, the upload was increased to 10M.

The connection is rock solid. With DSL we would lose connection during thunder storms.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Dchdrake,

Thank you for the review! I am happy to hear you have enjoyed both our DSL and now our Cable internet services. I am happy to see that the installations went smoothly and you are currently receiving a consistent connection. This is wonderful to see.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Thanks again for this great review! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey.

Review by stevey_frac See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Great Prices, Unlimited window between 2 - 8 a.m."
Bad "Did get disconnected by Robbers when I cancelled Cable TV."
Overall "Great service, Great Price"

Updated to 45/4 about a month ago. Transition was nice and smooth... One day, the internet was just faster. Thanks to the 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. unlimited window, I was able to downgrade to the 300 gb package, which is a great savings.

Overall, very happy with the level, and quality of the service. Minimal downtime once the service was setup. I haven't needed support much, and when I have, the TSR's on this site have been awesome!

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your Review

Hello there,

I just want to take the time to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear about the delayed install, glad you were prepared for it and not affected too heavily. Sorry to hear about the mishap when dropping TV as well

We can't wait for these new speeds to roll out either!

And as far as bandwidth caps are concerned, well I think our CEO said it best.

said by TSI Marc:

what good is an awesome internet connection if you cant use it!

Thanks again for your review. If you ever need anything, you know where to find us.

Thanks,
Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by bradofcanada See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great Price,Unlimited downloading options"
Bad "Went down once :)"
Overall "Great Service for a great price !"

I had to wait about 8 months until a spot opened up in my area so I was paying a ridiculas amount for Rogers cable with the caps they have. I paid to get out of my contact with Rogers after the 8 months.After a bit of a slow start(Roger cables fault) I was hooked up to Teksavvy with the 28/1 Unlimited package for $70 dollars including tax.I have only been down once since then and I am extremely happy with my choice.i am so glad I do not have to deal with Bell or Rogers for my internet needs anymore.

Update:Just switched to the 35/3 unlimited package for 91 bucks all in.Was a very smooth transaction.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2986952520

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There-

Very happy to hear the service is going well for you. If you have any questions or concerns in the future we will be more than happy to help!

Cheers
Liz

canada

Update

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you are still sailing smoothly and now even faster.