TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by dsoegiarto See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "Horrible Installation and follow-through thanks to Rogers"
Overall "If you're prepared with the long wait until you're online, they got the best pricing. Otherwise, stay away."

·TekSavvy DSL
Horrible setup and installation. Had to reschedule 4 times (1 was my mistake), 2 nobody showed up. Rogers mainly at fault but TSI can't even lift a finger. EMAIL is the best they can escalate. Still have no service until today (minus the 2 days after it got installed, but as of yesterday morning, it's gone again).

TSI got pooched by Rogers and there's nothing they can do. Horrible experience.

But kudos to the frontline team to do everything they can (no matter how little the result).

Comments:

TSI Keith

Re: Your Review

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your service here, especially after a delayed install. We will be staying on top of this ticket and pushing for a resolution as often as we can.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Entire team

Hi dsoegiarto,

Just wanted to let you know that the entire team is and has been on this. There is no valid excuse for this level of ineptitude and yet we have next to no recourse as you correctly point out. It really does require a change in law that the CRTC has been sitting on for close to a year now and recently punted further down the road. All of which perplexes me to no end.

You should be hearing from the team on further steps, please work with them if you have the stamina to continue. I have given them instructions to make it worth your while. Hopefully we can find a way forward together.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

dsoegiarto

join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON
·TekSavvy DSL

Re: Entire team

said by TSI Marc:

Hi dsoegiarto,

Way past my stamina a while back but I'm also sure by the time the dust settles all will be well.

I just can't seem to wrap around my head, the idea that TSI is being treated this way and there's nothing that can be done.

I do acknowledge and appreciate your support, but I will keep a vigilant eye for the next few days before I can update my review of the experience with TSI cable.

Review by thebaz 568 See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Looking for reliable, high quality service at a great price. Teksavvy has you covered"
Bad "Line was broken underground, some problems getting online"
Overall "A love absolutely everything about teksavvy."

·NetTalk
·Acanac
I had a really difficult time getting online read: »[Cable] Why cant cogeco provide a temporary line? Please help

but these two new technicians came that were very friendly got a temporary line going and I am finely up and running. All the technicians came on time. I am positive if you have a line that is not broken, you will get the service up the day it says you will.

The modem I received was great, on the correct firmware and everything. I was so happy when all those lights turned on.

Teksavvy is so good for gaming, I receive half the ping that I got on bell and acanac and around 30 less then I get on cogeco. The internet never went down yet, and also the second those modem lights turned on I got the 20/10 speed right away. The monthly priced is great.

I love the My account page on teksavvy, it is really useful, but quick question, how long will it take for the data to appear after I used it. Also I wish it showed the data I used during my unlimited data period (2am to 8am) so I know that everything is going well.

I highly recommend teksavvy to everyone, it is great. I am happier then ever.

Thanks teksavvy for providing a reasonably priced high speed internet service.

+1 to Teksavvy

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

2 edits

Response.

Hi There!

To answer your question- it populates the next day and logs end at midnight.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. We always love feedback, your words are really appreciated. We want to make sure you are always a happy customer so if you ever have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us anytime!

Have a great rest of your weekend,
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by Raz8988 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Fantastic customer service. Great tech support. Never had down time!"
Bad "Reliance on vendors"
Overall "Perfect value, friendly and knowledgable staff. Amazing community involvement. "

It's been awhile since we actually ordered the service, so I can't speak to the original install - however, we just recently moved and everything went almost perfectly. The only snag was a minor glitch in dates where my internet was turned off a day early but hey, if we can't survive one day without internet there's a bit of a problem.

My speeds only suffer when my router is being *special* (the word I'd like to use for it cannot be uttered in polite company). Otherwise, I have perfect speeds, and have yet to have a single non-router related minute of downtime (with the 1 day move glitch aside).

I find their customer service and tech support agents are always friendly, and for the most part knowledgeable about their jobs. We are technically on a 300GB capped package HOWEVER we use Zap The Cap and we have unlimited for the small sacrifice of a 4 hour speed downgrade. Did I mention this service is free? How many companies do you know that give their customers free stuff that's actually useful?!

What i love is how transparent they are. the CEO and directors have a very well established presence on this site and others and to me, that means a lot. Most CEO's are to busy to care about their customers, to actually care enough to take time out of their own days to actually sit down and talk. The fact that their CEO does says a lot about how much this company and his customers mean to him. It's awesome.

The only really bad thing I can say is the fact that they have to rely on vendors. This isn't entirely fair either since its not as if TekSavvy really has a choice in the matter (yey monopolies!) but it is what it is. We went with TekSavvy knowing that they were a third party and that meant probably having to deal with some delays and other issues. Still, all this aside, I'd recommend them a thousand times over. We just got my parents to switch to Teksavvy Cable and TekTalk after almost 15 years with Bell.

Keep it up TekSavvy - and keep fighting the good fight!

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Thanks for the awesome review!

Thanks for you positive comments. It's always great to hear how customer have enjoyed our services. We'll certainly pass on the good word internally.

Regards,

Review by bonatzfoggia See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Reliabilty, price, large caps, no contract, helpful support, ability to give finger to Rogers and Bell"
Bad "Not as consistent (speed wise) but still great. $2 price increase in the first month"
Overall "If you are sick and tired of Rogers or just want more value for your money, its a no brainer,switch to Teksavvy"

3 years ago, I was with Rogers using their 15/1/25 GB plan for about $45
2 years ago, I called and negotiated and got 25/2/80 GB for the $65 after taxes.
1 month ago, i decided to come to Teksavvy and Jesus, have i been proud that me and my family have done it.

So deeper into the story, im 16 and three years ago, when we were with that disgusting Rogers plan, I urged my parents to switch to Teksavvy. After months of finding information and showing it to them, they denied me. The reason i urged them to switch? Me, my older brother, and younger sister were CONSTANTLY getting yelled at every time the Rogers bill came in and we went over our measly 25 GB cap. I and my brother, but especially me, became fed up with always getting yelled at so i went on the hunt to look for reliable ISP's in my Toronto area. I was 13. But anyways, I digress. After months of my (light) b*tching and moaning to my parents, and me saying "well how is it my fault we have such crappy internet?", my mom decided to do the second best thing: Call Rogers and negotiate. With luck, she got quite a deal and we saved money on all our services with them plus better internet at a more expensive price. We were happy. For a while. Finally, the time came to switch.

In September-December of 2013, we started noticing our upload usage was sky rocketing (some days we would have 10 GB in upload usage) We called Rogers and all they could say was, "well someone must be torrenting". One of them even said "Netflix is the reason". Two issues with that:

1. Nobody in my house, except me and my brother, have a clue what torrenting is.
2. Netflix is a streaming site, therefore, it is downloading, not uploading.

So our bill came in for September, we had to pay $70 in extra charges. I called in and negotiated with Rogers and they were kind enough to give us to not charge us. We lucked out

Bill for November came in. $110 in extra charges due to this upload issue.

December came and we were fed up. We saw high usage already for the month, and we were ready to call it off with Rogers.

With me, my dad, my brother in the room with my mom read to begin our journey with Teksavvy, she called on December 10th. It went surprisingly smooth. They told us our service would start in 1 month from the date, and that we have to cancel with our current ISP before that date (Jan 10th). They made the confirmations and told us that they would be sending us a modem and leaving at a post office. All we had to do extra was buy a router and we were set for Jan 10. Everything was set.

January 10th came buy and we were anxiously waiting for our "modem's lights to all turn off (except the power of course)". They didnt, it stayed on the entire day. In our heads, everyone is my house was saying "Rogers, you b@sterds". We figured they were trying to squeeze out all they can from our cap so hopefully we go over and have to pay them. We called, and Rogers said to wait. By noon on January 11th, it was turned off. My dad went to the nearest Rogers store, angrily, and returned our modem. While he was at the Rogers store, I set up our teksavvy modem and d-link router.

By the next day, we were officially done with Rogers and began our tenure with Teksavvy Cable internet. So that's the back story.

Now for the actual review. We got the 25/2/300 GB plan and it has been amazing so far. Nobody had to come to the house to install, and the actual installation was as easy as kicking a ball. Download speed is usually around 22 mbps and upload is about 1.5 upload. It has truly been awesome. We haven't had to call tech support yet which is obviously a good sign. No downtime whats so ever. And the value is great. fast internet with almost unreachable caps for a great price. Only real problem is the price increase in the first month. Would kind of be redundant if the price keeps on increasing to that of Rogers and bell. But for now, im happy, my family is happy, and we would recommend Teksavvy Cable internet to anyone. Given that they have good internet in your area. Anyways, thank you Teksavvy and everyone for reading this

Update: ---July 27 2014---

Internet has been pretty good. Had to get a hold of tech support once but ended the ticket once I saw all the crap I had to do. TeKSavvy really should be able to grab a lot of that info from rogers. I got a LONG list of stuff I didn't want to do but I guess TeKSavvy needs that stuff. But my issue resolved itself on that one occasion

Also seeing some horror stories of service with TeKSavvy at the 6 month mark. Praying nothing goes seriously wrong with my modem because getting everything working would be a bitch.

My only real complaint is that you guys at TeKSavvy find some way to access my modem through rogers or bell or whoever. That list is extremely...off-putting? O think that's sort of a good word for this example. Anyways, I'm just hoping my service keeps up like this forever. I can't go back to Roger and their shitty caps with huge price tags.

Update ---July 28 2014---

Quick update: US signal on my modem was flashing so I figured something was wromg. Called tech support, and we fixed the problem. Apps and programs download quicker (than whwen i first got the service) after fixing the the problem, which included factory resetting the modem.

BTW TeKSavvy, you guys plan on getting 2 in 1 modems? That would be amazing. Anyways, glad my issue is fixed. Thank you to this eastern European man that helped me.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the review.

Hi bonatzfoggia,

Thanks for taking the time to place your review. Quite the story you have there. We are glad that things went well, other then the slight delay on the activation date. That said, it did came on & all worked out for the best. Welcome to the family & enjoy your service.

If you ever need anything else, by all means, do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.
You can even reach out to us via the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

Glad to see the issue resolved itself correctly. Unfortunately, we do not currently have access to much information from the incumbent however we are fighting for this sort of thing at the CRTC level. Gaining access to this type of information would allow us to be much more efficient at submitting tickets to them.

Fingers crossed that we get this type of help soon. As for your service, if you need us, you know where you can reach us

Cheers,

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by XR999 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent Caps, No Throttling or DNS Tampering, Full Advertised Speed"
Bad "Some small rough edges on activation"
Overall "If you're a Rogers customer reading this, what are you waiting for, switch already."

·Bell Sympatico
I was getting tired of Rogers consistently low caps for high prices so I decided to switch to TekSavvy Express Cable and re-use my purchased Rogers modem (as it was less than a year old). Well the order process went off smoothly, minus a call in as TekSavvy wanted to make sure I understood the possible downtime that comes with re-using a modem.

Anyway, my 30 days with Rogers came and went and my activation with TekSavvy went as smoothly as it could go when you're re-using a modem. Two business days (4 days in total thanks to the weekend) after my Rogers disconnection, my TekSavvy connection was live. Since then the connection has been rock solid (although that's in part due to my excellent signal levels), gets the advertised speed along with the same speedboost levels I was seeing before on Rogers, costs less per month, has better tech support and is pure (no DNS redirection/hijacking or throttling BS).

So would I recommend TekSavvy Cable, yes, yes and yes, if you're at all sick of overages, throttling or any other Rogers BS, then do yourself a favor and get TekSavvy Cable.

UPDATE: Septemeber 21st, 2011

Nothing to report but a rock solid connection and a nice 2Mbps boost in speed despite only having a DOCSIS 2 modem and that speed is delivered constantly, I never see slowdowns. In other words I couldn't be happier with TekSavvy Cable.

UPDATE: April 10th, 2012

Still getting consistent service without dropouts or slowdowns off the Richmond Road POI here in Ottawa and this is with DOCSIS 2 service, though I do plan to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 services within the next 6 months. So despite repeating myself, I simply couldn't be happier with my TekSavvy Cable service.

UPDATE: August 13th, 2013

Well I'm over a year late (as I was holding off for the ATPIA migration of my POI) but I'm finally in the process of upgrading my 18/.512 service to the new 25/2 tier. So far I've placed a call to TekSavvy and they are shipping out a new DOCSIS 3 modem. Plus the call was easy since I got through immediately and spent less than 15 minutes on the phone in total. The rest of the process won't be completed though until I receive the new modem so a further update will follow. But so far, I'm quite happy and can't wait for the new speed to finally arrive.

UPDATE: September 23rd, 2013

Wasn't planing on having an update so late but unfortunately due to Rogers delays I'm still not on 25/2 service yet. As of today (Sept. 23) my new DOCSIS 3 modem was finally activated by Rogers so I've filed for the speed change request but it will probably be at least another 1-2 weeks before that change goes into effect. Still, I am excited that I finally in the home stretch in terms of a speed increase.

UPDATE: August 2nd, 2014

Been enjoying my 25/2 service after the Rogers shenanigans without any complaints to report. My speeds are consistent, my bills from TekSavvy always bring no surprises and I haven't noticed any outages. As a customer, I simply could not ask for better service, short of a speed increase for less than I pay now, but Rogers and Bell simply make that impossible.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Thanks for updating your review.

We appreciate you taking the time to update your review. I'm glad to see that you're still happy with our service, speed and better bandwidth prices. It's great to hear that your impression of our services over the long-term is just as good as when you originally posted the review.
TSI Support - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

RE: Update

said by XR999:

Well I'm over a year late (as I was holding off for the ATPIA migration of my POI) but I'm finally in the process of upgrading my 18/.512 service to the new 45/4 tier. So far I've placed a call to TekSavvy and they are shipping out a new DOCSIS 3 modem. Plus the call was easy since I got through immediately and spent less than 15 minutes on the phone in total. The rest of the process won't be completed though until I receive the new modem so a further update will follow. But so far, I'm quite happy and can't wait for the new speed to finally arrive.

Hello XR999,

Thank you for your update!
We are very excited that you will be receiving the new aggregated speeds! Yes, the process takes a little time. As soon as the new modem is provisioned, we will be able to submit the change of speed request for you.

Send us a message in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum if you have any questions!

TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Promised speeds as reported or faster depending on which test. Setup fees not too bad."
Bad "Cheaper Prices are offset somewhat by lower upload speed. Recent High packet loss."
Overall "Service in Mature High Density Shaw areas is somewhat reliable. Recently, not so much."

·FreePhoneLine
Update July 29, 2014 Packet loss Round 3. This is getting tiring. Connection reliability rating drops from 25% to 0%. I actively promote teksavvy because I would love that $1/month discount refferal, but I can't do it if I have to tech their line ever month when something goes wrong because my friends aren't as tech to winmtr the line.

Update July 07, 2014 Packet loss has come back. This time opened up a ticket. Used the direct forum and phone calls for help. The process has gone smoother since I do alot of the work before the call testing. Opened up a ticket. Packet loss is 32%. Not good.

Tech support gets upgraded two points (4/5) for making the process faster. Connection reliability gets dropped one point to2/5)

Update June 19, 2014: Didn't do anything, and the packet loss has disappeared. The internet seems like it is at it's speedy normal. I am glad that I didn't waste too much time doing all the tests. I wish TS would tag me as a high functioning computer user so that when I call, they know that I've done everything necessary on my end, probably having powercycled everything 3-4 times already, and asking me to do futile things such as switching ethernet and coax cables is not necessary.

When I have issues with 4 computers in the house at the same time, and once I've direct connected to the modem bypassing the router, the issues are possibly with the modem, but more likely upstream.

Update June 15 2014: Slow internet for 2 days. Tested high packet loss. Emailed support and sent another long list of 'necessary' tests. This is getting aggravating. Woke up this morning and speed seems to be better, but packet loss is still there. Is 15-20% bad? Pings to gateway have no packet loss, but pings to google.com have as high as 28%

I'm dropping Value, services, connection reliability points. I talked to another person in my area that had unending packet loss issues and his solution after months was to leave. Is this the beginning of the end for me?

Update May 07: 930am. Disconnected for about another 5 minutes.

Update: April 21: 11:40pm PST Second connection problem. Granted, it just happened for about 5 minutes but it still happened. Didn't reset the router, modem, and computer. It just came back. If you have a connection problem, just walk away for an hour or two, maybe four. It's not really worth calling in and losing hours of your time. Since this was a short term connection error, and things have been working really well with my upgraded router (480mhz cpu, 128mb ram) I am upgrading my connection reliability rating.

Update Mar 2014: My first connection problem. I called in at 12pm and got connected to a tech agent pretty quick. Call got disconnected, had to call back again at 2pm and waited 20 minutes on hold, continued teching. Call got disconnected, called back at 3 pm, and waited 30 minutes. As I understand it, they don't call people back on disconnects. Neither do they call if you ask them to in the Direct forum. This is aggravating.

The tech bug chasing is pretty tiring and exhausting. I had to ping test/ traceroute which is high level tech stuff for a customer/consumer to do. Restart/reboot/powercycle the modem and my two computers a million times.

I know how to do it, but I can't imagine a normal person would know how to access command window functions. I was afraid that my modem went bad so I jumped through all hoops doing the reboots and different computers and restarts needed to make sure that stuff works. They told me to change all the ethernet wires since they can go bad. Cmon, really? Copper coated aluminium cable goes bad? What about the stuff that is installed in walls and never moves?

I sort of understand that they need to make sure everything is ok before the send a tech, but they wanted me to also change the coax cable that went into the modem into the wall to see if that failed. Cmon, really? Cable goes bad? Indoor cable coax doesn't have the longevity of the same cable that has been sitting on the outside of my house for years? Needless to say, I lied and said that I changed the cable.

The problem was then acknowledged to be outside of my house with a routing issue. All in all, it was an exhausting 4 hours to check my hardware to make sure that it's fine. It's a pain in the ass. I'm dropping my connection reliability rating. Any other customer would have had a hissyfit if the tech asked them to to a ping test and tracerout and send the results to them via email on a connection that doesn't work.

The third tech megan proved to be very nice and finished up the ticket, and the problem magically disappeared as we were teching it again. It turned out to be a problem with Routing at the network.

In future, I wish the techs would just ask if I would prefer to make a note for the sysadmins to look to see if there is failure trend and call me back if I want to help diagnose or give me the option of teching for them for four hours. It was a huge waste of my time.

It's better for TS to acknowledge that the customer has a problem, see if a trend develops, than waste the customer's time to see if there is something wrong with their router, computer , or modem.

I am so tired of this episode.

Update Jan 2014: I was having some slow internet response, so I removed QOS and everything seems to work better than ever. The internet seems to be really quick and responsive. If you are going to use QOS, you need a high quality router.

UPDATE OCT 2013: We were having router issues, so finally changed from DDWRT to Tomato. QOS is now finally working properly. As a long time user of DDWRT I was reluctant to change to Tomato, however, Tomato has more finite adjustments for Bandwidth shaping. Changed to an 'ancient' tomato compatible linksys e900 router. (Actually a downgrade from my previous router) Works in an old house with 7 users and their devices and VOIP. Tomato is the only router I have used so far that has been able to throttle torrenting properly.

With router updates and hardware adjustments and Teksavvy, I now have a network running at 7.5/512k that is more than adequate for many many users that would have needed a much more expensive service to accomodate. I now see regular burst speeds into the 14-18-22mbps range. This makes Youtube HD streaming absolutely possible. There is no buffering, and the grey bar easily outpaces the red progress bar. These are speeds that are completely unheard of when I was with telus 6. I NEVER ever saw a speed higher that 6mbps when I was with telus.

UPDATE Sept 1013: Everything is working fine. It seems like Teksavvy, like any other cable company has burst incoming speeds of up to 22mbps then settles down to 7.5mbps. Everything is working so well that I have to upgrade my network from wireless g to n to take advantage of the burst speed.

I wish that if you signed up for a 1 year contract that they would waive the installation fee.

UPDATE: June 2013. Everything is working fine. Speed test still reports DL speed as up to 15mbps, even though I only subscribe to 7.5mbs. My laptop througput monitor confirms that it's running at 15mpbs which is about the limit for my wireless g connection.

I needed to contact customer service for a seperate matter and it took 26 minutes to reach an agent to solve my problem. I expected this. This was on a Friday at 6pm pst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had telus with phone and internet for $43 including tax. Every six months, I had to 'beg' Telus to give me the credits to make phone/internet cost viable and competitive. after their recent increase to $55 and their refusal to honor their original contract with me for phone ($17/month) it was time to move.

I tested a voip land line, and with a lot of tweaking I've made it work to the point that the quality is just the same as a land line.

My telus speed was rated at 6.0mb/s and it would on occasion hit that speed on regular internet surfing, or when downloading full speed connections.

I bought a used modem locally for $30, or you can find them online on ebay delivered easily for $35 including shipping. (Update: With Docis 2.0 becoming outdated, if you only need speeds up to 30mbps, these routers can be found for as little as $10)

I ordered the 7.5mb cable service with 300gb bandwidth cap. Previously I was unrestricted, and I would often go way over 300mb, but they have unlmited bandwidth between 2am and 8am so I will just modify my programs to work within those constraints.

The lack of an online interface that monitors on/off peak usage is a little aggravating.

Customer service is a 20 min wait by phone, but they are also responsive by email.

The installation process was a little bit of a hassle because they act as go between between the local cable company and me, which calls for 2 to 3 extra 20 mintue calls when an email would have been more appropriate..

Once the tech came and installed, Everything was fine. The modem fired up and connected without problems.

Now there is the issue with speed comparison:

Telus 'sells' a 6.0mb connection, and using 'pure' download connections like my podcaster, I would hit the max speed easily. Surfing everywhere else on the net was a so so experience, never every getting max speed on regular websites, but at the same time I didn't expect as such.

I bought a 7.5mb cable connection from teksavvy. Here are side by side comparisons:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2699998876.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2700021051.png

»testmy.net/KgnH0mA.uJZ3qwr.png

»testmy.net/VcGr9n3.Jv3hyCQ.png

And Youtube reports that my speed is 2.0mb/s with telus and 7.9mb/s with teksavvy.

So I'm not sure what to beleive when it comes to what actual speeds are. Is telus undercutting me with a subpar line, or it teksavvy over delivering?

Judging by the 2 out of 3 result, it seems like telus has been gouging me for many years. Seems like they advertise a service that INCLUDES tcp overhead, but teksavvy delivers on TRUE bandwidth.

There is no phone or video on demand option, but I'm pretty sure that if you wanted something like netflix, i'm pretty sure that it would work. There is no option for live sports.

Voip landline works great.

The total extra fees to get me started on teksavvy was $79 for the installation and $30 for a modem that I got used.

With the money I saved I will pay off for this extra expense in four months.

I should have done this years ago. And with the usage of a voip phone now, moving service from house to house should the need arise is extremely simple.

I am

Comments:

TSI Keith

WELCOME!

Hello fefrie,

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always love getting feedback from our customers! Secondly, I'd like to welcome you to the family!!

Also, we are in the midst of hiring a lot of new agents so if you need us in the future we're working hard to get the wait times down to a more reasonable level asap. Also should you need us for any reason you can also reach out to us here on the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

There has been quite an interest voiced in us getting TV service in the future. There is nothing in the works at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring

Bear in mind, not only is usage free between 2 and 8 am but we also don't count upload traffic towards your cap!

Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions or concerns come up.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: WELCOME!

Could you clarify 'Uploads are free'?

Is it that uploads are free 24/7 or only free during the 2-8am period?

Re: WELCOME!

Period! Uploads don't count. Downloads are not counted during those times.

Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the update on your services!! Glad to see everything is still working as it should, and you’re receiving excellent speeds with your connection. This is fantastic!!! Please continue to keep us updated on your TekSavvy journey. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear you have had a service issue with your connection. Our phone agents most certainly do call back when a phone disconnects as long as another call has not connected on the line as soon as the call drops. Which does happen when it’s busy, and it makes it difficult to be able to call back. I have located and reviewed your account to see about the call dropping during troubleshooting and there are notes from the tech agent you spoke to indicating they attempted to call you back when the call dropped however the call was blocked and they were unable to reach you. There are notes indicating for the next agent what troubleshooting had been completed already and what needed to be completed if you contacted us back. Again we certainly do apologize if there was no call back.

If you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct a contact number where you can be reached at I can update your account to ensure we can call you back in the future if you are disconnected again.

We also require troubleshooting for all issues prior to being able to tell you what issue you are having or if you are part of an area issue. We are unable to see your connection from our side to tell you what your issue is or to tell you that your part of an area issue. Troubleshooting must be completed on all issues or we are unable to go forward with diagnosing your issue or assisting you with your connection. We understand it is frustrating to troubleshoot however we must complete it or we are blind to your connection. Fully troubleshooting all issues allows us to understand what issue you are having and what direction we need to go in to fix your service. I hope this helps you understand a little better why we troubleshoot all issues, I can assure you we are not trying to be difficult and we do want to help and diagnose your issue.

Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Re: Updated Review

It was a one time thing, and the thing that I wish happened was...

I wasn't home when it happened.

It probably would have fixed itself anyways.

If I didn't have a string of router failures, I wouldn't have been so paranoid that my modem went bad.

If I knew 100% that my modem was still fine and working, I would have just gone out for a nice walk.

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Re: Updated Review

Thank you for the update fefrie.

join:2013-11-18

Review update

Hey there Fefrie,

Thanks for your updated review! Glad you're still enjoying the service! Please do let us know if you run into any further disconnections as we want to make sure to fix any potential issue.

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi fefrie,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is not a 5 second job so naturally when we email you steps on what we need, it will be a bit long and that could be intimidating.

My recommendation would be to call in to have our support go through the steps with you.

Can you please create a post in the direct with your contact number and best contact time so we can have support reach out to you?

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Re: Update

I created a ticket already.

I do have a question though. If I do a ping test and get 100% fine to your gateway, but get a 28% packet loss to google.com, is it really necessary that I do everything else on your exhaustive list?
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Update

There are only a few things we ask that are not part of our vendor's requirements that we ask to help us narrow things down however the majority is something we must as without, a ticket cannot be opened or will get rejected.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Fefrie

Thank you for the updated review. I am so happy to see the packet loss has resolved itself for you. We most certainly do know that you’re an experienced user and any troubleshooting requested is needed by our vendor. I know you know we are not trying to be difficult when we ask you to check the simple things, we are bound by our vendor’s requirements for service affecting issues.

Thank you again for your updated review. Please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help you.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Re: updated review

I'm probably going to have to go through a full test.

I'm at the library now, and the internet just works faster here. I thought that it was my legacy computer, but that proves to not be the case.

It could be my d2.0 router, but tech has said that the likelihood is low.

Packet loss is low (2-4%), but pings can be high in the 200-300ms.

I was willing to accept high pings as an anomoly, but at the library, the experience is noticeably faster, maybe it's the faster speed here too, but high pings will make fast seem slow too no?

Can I still upgrade up to 10 or 25mbps with my 2.0 modem?

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

I see that you also create a public thread and you posted in the Direct. We will have someone follow-up with you in the direct.

Thanks.

I post in both threads because I want to know/show others and communicate with each other to see if there is a trend in Vancouver

Review by user123 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Great internet for value"
Bad "Bad customer service experienced twice"
Overall "Update: bad customer service addressed rapidly by online team - issue resolved"

UPDATE: I am happy to report that this issue has been resolved. The online team was very diligent and on top of resolving this issue for me. I felt valued as a customer and hope that the agents that I dealt with before were exceptions rather than the norm. Together we were able to work together to reach a solution. I will be staying with Teksavvy and hope to have a good relationship from here on.

I currently have the cable 6 package for $25/month. The order and install process was TERRIBLE. I am fed up with the terrible customer service that I have received from TekSavvy. I am planning on switching to start.ca which none of the agents seem to care about. I have been with TekSavvy for a year now. Quick comparison: start.ca ($35 10 mbps down 2 mbps up 100 gb usage) versus. Teksavvy ($35 10 mbps down 2 mbps up 75 gb usage) no cost to switch.

Last year, I took the day off to have my internet service installed. I waited all day and no one showed up or had the courtesy to call and let me know they were running behind. My internet was delayed and I was forced to increase the data on my phone plan (I pay $20 for the new data add on versus $5 from before). I had to take off another day for the new installation day (that didn't happen until days later). I lost two days worth of wages and pay much more now for data that I don't use and cannot downgrade because my $5 plan is no longer available. I received ~$15 in compensation for this.

A year later and this experience faded from my memory and I was quite happy with my TekSavvy internet. Great price and overall great service. I'm moving to a new apartment in September. This was the beginning of another bad experience. First I emailed to inquire about moving services. I was told to call. I asked for information about moving but unfortunately called too early to start the process. When I called back within the 30 days of my move date, I was told I needed a new modem. This was extremely frustrating because the new agent did not tell me this when I asked the question 'could you please walk me through the process of moving my services to another address.' This was upsetting because I had just purchased a modem last year that is now obsolete and now had to buy another. I was extremely angry and considered switching companies because of the poor customer service demonstrated again.

I thought about it and reflected on how much I liked Teksavvy and decided I was overreacting. I finally purchased the new modem and was ready to set a date. I noticed that my $25 plan was no longer listed and so I inquired about the new plans ($35/mo) and if I would be forced to upgrade. The agent told me there was a way to bypass this by upgrading my modem now and then moving my services to another address thus preserving my $25 plan. I purchased the new modem, upgraded it over the phone and waited for the changes to take effect. Today I called to set my new installation date. I was told that I would have to upgrade to the $35 plan. I was extremely upset and basically was told that nothing could be done and the logistics were explained to me at length. Fundamentally, I understand that the Teksavvy works with Cogeco and this must change their plans accordingly.

However, this has been a month of miscommunication preceded by the same experience last year. I understand the logistics but think that it is unfair that I made my decision to stay with Teksavvy based on the miscommunication of an employee. I went through this frustrating process which has been a waste of time and energy. I feel that I should be compensated since I will be paying $100+ extra a year now for extra internet that I don't need. I was offered 2 weeks compensation and told that they were going the extra mile to listen to the call and coach the employee. I have worked in customer service for a long time. I think it should be standard in cases of miscommunication that these calls should be reviewed and it shouldn't be considered a bonus to me. For a company the prides itself from its service I feel like there is nothing being done for me and $13 is a slap in the face. I told the supervisor that I wished for the 'higher ups' to know about this incident so something could be changed. I have heard many similar stories of poor customer service. I was told that essentially nothing more would be done for me. I understand that I cannot keep my Cable 6 but I find it laughable that TekSavvy does not care about losing me as a customer. I was told I can either upgrade or cancel. I have told many friends about TekSavvy who are now currently customers because of me. If TekSavvy truly prides itself on customer service they should make more of an effort to not lose customers. It is a bonus that start.ca is essentially the same as Teksavvy (even better). I would have paid more to be treated with the service I deserve. Good riddance.

Comments:

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review

Hi there,

This is not the kind of experience we want you to have, at all. I do truly apologize for anything not being explained properly or for any miscommunications that occurred regarding your plan (whether you could keep it or not) and the need for a new modem as these added costs would definitely be a shock. While we are bound to our vendors on many requirements, we still want to do everything we can within the system for you.

While they were still in their infancy last year (and it doesn't excuse the issues you ran into then), we now have a team dedicated to making sure you are alerted to any changes that happen to any installation appointments and I truly believe that you would not have a repeat of last year, in the event that there was a delay.

I do assure you we definitely care and would love to keep you as a customer, and make sure you feel that you get the proper customer service treatment. We would like to look into this further on our end to make sure we cover all potential options as well as review all the information you've been provided as seem to have received some conflicting information. Could you please shoot us a message over in »TekSavvy Direct and we'll be glad to look into this with you. Thanks for your time,

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Review

I'd love to get to the bottom of this as well.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Post

Hi there,

It seems we have found your ticket in another system. We will be investigating as to what happened.

Re: Your update

Hello there!

Thank you for the update here and for sharing more of your experience with us. I am thrilled to hear that everything was worked out to your satisfaction and wanted to thank you for giving us the chance to turn this around.

Here's hoping it's smooth sailing from here. Should you ever have any questions or concerns though, you know where to find us!

Take care!
Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by ghent123 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Value for the money is great, but Marc and other support staff being very active on the DSLr forums is just the cherry on top."
Bad "Any issues that requires rogers to look into more in depth can take some time, but knew that getting into it anyways"
Overall "For the price you can't beat what you get from it."

I've been with TekSavvys for just over 2 years now.
Since that I believe I had a few issues.
1. was I had the old 475 frame ware 2.08 which caused many error and reboots of the modem. After talking with TekSavvys about it and going through the troubleshooting anything else that could be causing the issue. At the end of the day TekSavvy sent me a modem with the updated frame ware and I sent the old one back once I was up and running. No cost to me.
For gaming it was a nightmare during the time, but couldn't blame TekSavvys for it since it was an upgrade done to rogers network that caused all the issue in the first place.

2. During my move to my new place the move dates got changed at the last min since the place wasn't ready yet. 5 days until I was meant to be moved I had to call TekSavvys and was told it was short notice and unsure if they can cancel the move request.
Sure enough it wasn't enough time took about a week to get my cable back up, but they credited me the move order for my troubles which was great. Wasn't teksavvys fault or rogers, but was on my end.

Network has gone down a few time but normal only do to rogers doing updates to my POI or lines in the area, normal don't find out until it happens and I call in to see what is going on but isn't long.

Some people have had some major issues on the POI I'm on St. Laurent POI in Ottawa but I haven't had most of the issues people have been having.

Always been having the speeds I've being paying for or better (28/1). Even during peak hours not many slow downs.

I'm looking forward the upgrades this summer and better upload speeds.

Just wish the CRTC would fully see what is going on with internet in Canada and be more helpfully towards customers and make it a better market for us all.

Last but not least TekSavvys is still growing and yes there phone ques can be a bit high at some times at least there is help on the DSLr forums for some issues and in the direct forums and doing a lot of work on myworld to make a lot more things easier and quicker without having call in.

member for 2.8 years, 750 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the feedback in concerns to the overall performance of your services, and glad to hear that you are happy with the service. In concerns to our phone times we are hiring again, so this should be alleviated soon.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and feel free to get a hold of us anytime!

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by Defiant001 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, ISP run at the core by those who understand tech"
Bad "Connection can be unstable at times, but this is rare."
Overall "A far better choice in Cogeco land"

·Cogeco Cable
Package: Cable 55 Unlimited - $112.94/month (used to be Cable 30 but was recently changed).

Speed: 55Mbps down/10Mbps up

Term: Been signed up for just over a year

Modem: Technicolor DOCSIS 3 modem

I signed up as soon as Teksavvy was available in my area, I could not stand Cogeco's (lack of) customer service anymore. Setting up the new connection was flawless, on the day the new connection was to be active I came home from work and plugged in the new modem I bought through Teksavvy and everything worked.

Initially there were some growing pains in Oakville area and connection issues here and there but those seem to have smoothed out now and everything is working well.

Customer service and tech support at Teksavvy are very good when I had to use them for the initial issues, always friendly and the tech support knows their stuff well.

Comments:

TSI Martin

Your review

Hello Defiant001 See Profile

Thanks for taking the time to review our services.

We are glad to find out you have been satisfied with our services.

Enjoy them!

Regards,

Review by pascals See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Same network as Shaw, much better price (33% less)"
Bad "Ineffective support in case of network issue: not their network, their vendor hates them, end customer suffers the consequences"
Overall "Only sign up if having internet unsuable/down days at a time is acceptable"

Been a customer for a few years without significant issues. There are these little things where their vendor (Shaw in my case) forces Teksavvy to make their customers buy a new modem before upgrading their speed for no valid technical reason (I was using that exact modem on the Shaw network for the same speed just a few months prior). It's part of the game where Shaw attempts to make Teksavvy's life as difficult as possible to avoid competition, and the customer pays the price.

However, the real problems started almost 2 months ago (June 17th): any application using streaming (such as internet radio or voip) became unusable. The symptom is high packet loss: between 20% and 50% most of the time, lower (but not 0) at good times (usually early in the morning).

There were two such episodes when the symptoms appeared resolved for a week or two (the Teksavvy ticket said "Shaw has tested your line"). The third such episode has started 5 days ago. This time I attempted to have customer service drive their tech support because of my previous experiences of ineffectiveness (it took them between 24 and 48 hours just to open the ticket with Shaw *after* all tests were completed -keep in mind that Teksavvy has to involve their vendor in case of network issues since it's not their network). They have not provided any value either. In fact, they just sent me the survey after closing the ticket! Here was my response to them:

"Opened this ticket 5 days ago, was notified that Shaw believed that they needed to dispatch a technician and responded that *any day any time* will work for me within an hour (that was on Aug 3rd!) -OID-254329-Troubleshooting-5664488.

Current status: still no usable internet connection, no update on any resolution or any technician visit, nothing.

I've been having recurring internet issues since June 17th, spent probably 20 hours on the phone with your tech support, experienced all the reasons why it's not effective at driving a resolution, was hoping to have customer service help drive them, no luck here either.

Just look at this customer service ticket for a few defects:

- First it gets closed so as to "not have several agents at the same time overlapping this issue". It appears nobody is doing anything since the issue is not fixed and I haven't even had an update in 4 days.

- Then my "account will be handed over to our account management team. They will open a new ticket with you here, and they will handle any further updates to this issue until the current ticket has been resolved". Haven't heard from anybody.

Meanwhile, I'm alternating between using my phone as a hotspot when I need to work in private and using cafes and libraries the rest of the time.

I was annoyed. Now I'm mad."

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Your Review

Hello,
Thank you for your review. We are looking into this issue and will be with you shortly. I would suggest you remove your account information from your review for security reasons. We will respond to you through the open support ticket.

John