TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ju1ce See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Straight Forward Fees, Active Tech Support on Boards"
Bad "Since they are at the mercy of Rogers Teksavvy may not be able to solve your problem"
Overall "Better than the competitors just be aware of possible issues when installing or having issues with the network and accept it"

Got hooked up with Teksavvy when I moved into the GTA region. I called them up to connect and order my modem which was done fairly quickly. We purchased the DCM476 and the Cable 18 Express package.

My modem arrived within 2 days as suggested but the installation side wasn't so smooth.

They (being Rogers) tried to come earlier than the scheduled window, for which I was at work, so I could not make it and I had asked the person to come during the scheduled time. I thought we came to an agreement and instead he did not show up as scheduled so I had to reschedule with Teksavvy. Once the new schedule date was given the person came and got it all up and running.

I knew coming in there may be a problem and that Teksavvy may blame Rogers but reality is since they are the ISP of my choice they need to own up to it period. I think most would agree that some sort of "compensation" should be in order but reality is I don't care because I don't NEED internet as though my life depended on it.

In the end I am satisfied with Teksavvy and would recommend them. I would just caution people that because they are a 3rd party provider it may not always go smooth and you should accept that going into it instead of being belligerent.

Updated --- October 23, 2013

I was down for approximately 9 days (even though I called Teksavvy on day 3 so to them it's 7) at the end of September and beginning of October 2013.

Tech support, from a calling point of view, had very long wait times (first was around 45 minutes, second was 1.5 hours) for speaking with someone. In both times I spoke with the tech support person we tried everything imaginable to get the internet to work. The first time was due to a connection issue between the router and the cable box outside and the second time was a DHCP issue.

The positive was:

- Tech support when finally reaching someone

- I was reimbursed for the 9 days I was down

The negative:

- Long wait times on tech support

- Rescheduled dates 2 times with 1 other being a completely different confirmation date on the same ticket which caused some confusion

- No backup should the internet be down for a long duration, but at your request I believe you can ask for a WIND wireless stick.

The reality is I'm still okay with Teksavvy overall. Can't beat the price, the usage cap, and last but not least the fact they are fighting for our rights.

Updated --- August 1, 2014

I just moved to another place and the transition was very smooth. No problems so far.

The only issue I would say is the cost of the move. Most expensive utility at 65 bucks.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We greatly appreciate it and are always happy to receive feedback.

As far as these random disconnects are concerned would you be able to contact us in the direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can look into this with you?

Also I'm sorry to hear about the rough start you had with us. Do you know if your billing dates were properly adjusted to account for this delayed start? If not we can check on that for you as well.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Response.

Thanks a lot for the update! I'd be glad to put through a credit for the two days as we had an IVR letting customers know the issue is in your area- Just message me in the direct so I can get your account information. We appreciate all feedback and will work to continually improve our services.

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Update!

Hi there!

Glad to hear the move went smoothly for you! Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you run into any issues, we'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Review by peatbog See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast"
Overall "So Far So Good"

·TekSavvy DSL
2014 08 01 Initial Review

I decided to get cable because, for one or two dollars more a month than our dsl connection, I can get 20/10 for download/upload, and that is much faster than the dsl we had. There is no static IP but that is ok because we no longer run our mail server, and the web server is hardly ever used by us.

The cable installer showed up on Wednesday and connected the cable. He reported a good signal and attached the cable to the new modem that I had bought several days earlier from teksavvy. He said to give it 20 minutes to sync up or whatever it does, and left. There was no other hand-holding. I had also bought an asus wireless router since my dlink is about 4 years old, and had managed to get it running with my dsl connection.

After running an errand, I came home and found all the lights lit on the modem, plugged in the router, and it worked.

Since then, the connection has been fine. I have been home all week and have tested the connection speed several times a day: it almost always hits 20 download, while the upload varies anywhere from 3 to 10, averaging around 6 or 7. Since we were getting .6 for upload with the dsl connection, even 3 for upload is hot stuff. The dsl gave us 5 for download, so 20 is terrific.

The main use is with two desktop computers, but we also have a laptop and that gets a good signal anywhere in the house.

So far so good.

member for 1 year, 27 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for the review of your TekSavvy services! I am happy to hear you have our Cable internet connected and have had minimal issues with it and are receiving consistent speeds. I am happy to see the installation went smoothly and everything connected right away. This is fantastic to see!!!

If you have any questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forumhttps://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by Aftcomet See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Pretty much everything."
Bad "Sometimes sales agents don't have the right information. But tech support has always been good."
Overall "I've been with Bell, Rogers, and Teksavvy. TekSavvy is hands down the best by a long shot."

I've had TekSavvy for over 7 years. I think that's a testament to itself. I can count on one hand how many times I've had an issue with them over that time period (which were always resolved). I started with DSL but moved to cable because you got higher speeds for cheaper. I don't even know what to write about. Everything exceeded my expectations (and I'm not one easy to please either). I think it's a shame that Bell and Rogers exist at all. The experience has been top notch from top to bottom. I have zero complaints.

My only wish now is for TekSavvy to succeed further WHILE REMAINING THE SAME.

If you're contemplating getting TekSavvy services, DO IT WITH THE UTMOST CONFIDENCE.

member for 5.1 years, 173 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Aftcomet,

Thank you for the great review of TekSavvy. I am thrilled to see that you have enjoyed the service for many years with minimal issue. I am happy to see you have tried both our internet offerings available and have settled with the Cable internet.

Thank you again for this great review. Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey. If you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Review by stevenmm See Profile

• Location: Dundas,ON
Good "Price, Tech Support Reps, Customer Service"
Bad "Install by Cogeco Tech, Teksavvy tech support wait times."
Overall "Great Value for your money, reliable service."

I have had Teksavvy Cable Internet service for 4 months; I am a very satisfied customer. Unfortunately I have decided to go back to Bell because I am getting their Fibe television service. I will keep Teksavvy in mind in the future if I ever leave Bell.

Customer Service:

My Teksavvy interaction with customer service was great since the beginning. They helped me pick my package and modem, and informed me how everything works. When I decided I was leaving to go back to Bell the customer service rep was understanding, and helped me pick the cancellation date, so I would save money. Customer service reps are friendly and professional.

Install:

When I had my service installed I had a Cogeco Tech guy came who was pretty rude. He hooked a wire into wall, the shortest one possible, and said you have to stick your modem there, and walked out. Heck I'm even a Cogeco Cable customer you figure he would have treated me better. I do not blame Teksavvy for that, they can't control what the tech reps from these companies do, they are at the mercy of them.

After the service was installed someone from Teksavvy called to make sure everything went ok. That was the first time I ever had someone call from a company to follow up on an install. I informed them about my experience with the Cogeco and he was very apologetic.

I had a problem with my internet going down, I called tech support and they worked on the problem with me, and we got my internet back up and running. The only thing I did not like about calling Tech support is the wait times. However when you get through to them they are very friendly and helpful. I have not had any problem after that with my internet unless there was real bad weather and the line was down.

I recommend Teksavvy Solutions for your internet needs they have great customer service, and reasonable prices. Tech support wait times need to be improved however from reading the Teksavvy forum on dslreports.com they are training more tech support reps, so wait times should go down in the future. I will defiantly return to Teksavvy in the future if I leave Bell.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Thanks for the great review.

Hello stevenmm See Profile

Thank you very much for the clear, concise, positive feedback.

As for the wait time, yes we are getting new hires to help bring this down. Most likely you called in the evening where things typically pick up in regards to the amount of calls we get.

We wish you the best with your new provider. By all means, if you ever feel the need to come back, let us know & we will continue to do our best to help you out.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

Review by Noxin See Profile

Good "In Montreal it was fantastic - 3 day installation and solid connection."
Bad "17 days and counting, NO SERVICE - POSTPONED DATES - MISINFORMATION"
Overall "Pick anyone else - this is beyond unreasonable."

Update:

19 days and counting, the 2nd tech (Shaw) and found an issue with the line, at which he replaced and said all that was left was to activate the service which can be done remotely (which is collaborated by an access denied error and various other sources). I called and received the same information from support and that they placed a ticket for the activation. 2 hours later I receive a call from support once again where I assume a less experienced agent who wants to send yet another technician (requiring a 3rd day off of work for me) to "activate" the line - which already has a signal as confirmed by support and the tech who was here today. My service is still disabled and they can't flip a flag on the service database they are using to handle it. Now closer to 700$ out of pocket (work lost waiting for the no-show + taking off all today) and cost of activation. I sincerely hope this review saves someone else from making the same mistake. I'd get a refund and swap carriers, but that would just likely add another week to this saga.

Original review Follows:

I ordered and payed 172$ on the 3rd of July with their initial estimate being the 8th.

I received a call on the 5th saying that the installation will occur on the 17th... Which was terrible considering various local ISPs have offers for seamless transitions, but manageable.

The 17th arrives with not a WORD until gone 6 pm at night saying they couldn't find the location, which leads me to believe either they don't have google maps nor gps, since I provided address, city and postal code. This was then postponed yet again to the 23rd. At this point I am pissed off, and rightfully so since I have now payed upfront for a service that I will not see during the month I payed for it AND I require it to work from home (costing me $$$). They tell me a tech will be dispatched on the 20th in the usual 4 hour window ISPs agree they can subject people to, so I wake up early, take the 4 hours off for... NOTHING, a complete no show.

I leave at the end of the window since I CAN'T work from home, having written all IP address, SSID, mac addresses relevant to the tech should the tech actually show up, and once I arrive at work, I find a missed call (time stamped 15 minutes after the window) and rush back. The tech hasn't "flagged" the line (the administrative reason that I was provided by TS support on my first of *3 calls* why they couldn't provision remotely - which from former telus tech I know is completely without technical reason), preformed ANY work, nor left ANY message.

To ANYONE who sees this, go with ANY of the competitors. Teksavvy is NOT worth it in the west. Light-speed was recommended by friends, if this isn't resolved in the next day or so, I am demanding a full refund and going with them.

Any and all positive view I had of this company is gone, its pricing isn't even that competitive anymore.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Good morning Noxin,

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. If you could please post in the direct forum with your account information. I would like to take a look and see if we can assist.

»TekSavvy Direct

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Review Update

Hi there,

We would love to review your account so we can take action to make things better however we have no idea who you are. As Jon mentioned before when you posted your original review, if you could post in the direct that would allow us to get the information we need to work on this.

Thanks,

Andre
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Review by ltpenguin See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "They have great staff on the Direct forum! No more waiting on hold :P"
Bad "Rogers needs to install can be a pain :I Update: they no longer require a technician in most cases"
Overall "It is a great value."

Would recommend especially if you are reading this on DSLReports. They have a great group in the Direct support forum. I never need to call in and be on hold for 30mins The worst part is having setup done by Rogers which is a pain to schedule but once setup it is great Total monthly cost included taxes

member for 1.4 years, 214 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Kind words, the BEST gift on a Monday!

Thank you very much for the kind words! We're always glad to help in any capacity that we can! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can let us know in the Direct forum!

Thanks again for the kudos, and hope you enjoy your Monday!

TSI Joe

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two years (currently July 2014), and I have not had to have any interaction with them since requesting the upgrade from 3M to 6M more than a year ago. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.2 years, 691 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Thanks again
Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by Jeebus99 See Profile

• Location: Dawson Creek,BC
Bad "extremely poor service"
Overall "if you are unable to provide the service paid for, maybe you should stop selling it"

Extremely unhappy with the so-called "service".

Ordered cable on June 27th to upgrade from my current TSI DSL. Waited for a week supposedly for the vendor to reply (even though they are supposedly required to reply within 48 hours if I am not mistaken).

The order was refused by the cable company because they did not know if the connection was for the main floor or the basement, even though the main floor has not been connected in probably 15 or 20 years and is not even connected to the cable box (disconnected by Shaw themselves many many years ago).

Called and confirmed with TSI that the connection should be the basement. TSI gave me an install date with the same ridiculous 4 hour window that everyone hates so much. On the day of the install nobody bothered to show up. This is confirmed by security video on the property, and by the substandard old tan cable still connected to the cable box that should have been replaced if a tech had actually showed up.

After the no-show I called TSI again and they put in "troubleshooting" ticket since the cable was not working. Apparently, Shaw has said the service was performed even though it was not. The ticket that was put in by TSI has again been sitting with no response for almost a week.

The bill was paid on the day the order was placed, yet 17 days later I still have no service, as well as a new modem that TSI sold me that is totally useless with no cable service.

The tech support column in the review also received the lowest marks. The TSI staff was very friendly, but there have just been repeated promises to have things "looked into", since nothing has actually been accomplished I can't give any marks for the support.

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

2 edits

Your Review

Hello,
My name is John. I am one of two Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. I would be happy to look into this issue for you to see if there is anything I can do to resolve it. I am reviewing your account and will be back with you shortly.

John
Online Services Account Manager

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Re: Your Review

Hello,
I reviewed your account and spoke with the leader of the team responsible for handling your issue. The Team leader is having one of his team call you shortly.

John
Online Services Account Manager
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

There is teksavvy in Dawson Creek?

Consider yourself lucky that you have a third alternative.

Review by mrbubbles See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Amazing pricing, unlimited 2am-8am, stable connection"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Buy it. Now."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Moved to Montreal and ordered a 20/10 cable connection. Modem (DCM475) was shipped quickly and installation was painless. They confirmed the date and service was online within 2h of the installation technician visiting.

All TekSavvy plans are unlimited use from 2am-8am and unmetered upload all the time. That means my 300GB cap is only for downloads not performed between 2am-8am.

Stable connection and the speeds are consistently as advertised, even during peak hours. Highly recommended!

Comments:

TSILiz

Hey There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this and to hear that everything has been a smooth process for you We appreciate the kind words and want to continue your positive experience so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Everything: value, reliability, speed, bandwidth you name it"
Bad "You'll have to buy and configure a wireless router (but you can do it!)"
Overall "Best internet in Canada"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
I've had bhell internet ('06-'09), It was a nightmare all the way to it's bitter end. I wish I'd known better. In came Robbers ('09-'12) which offered much better service, but at a cost. Traffic shaping was consistently inconsistent; some weeks yes, but mostly not. In the end economics rule and I switched to Teksavvy cable. The transition was no problem and right away I saw my upload speeds double. I've seen DL speeds just over 4 mb/s overall which was beforehand unthinkable to get half that. (have Teksavvy Extreme Cable 28/Unlimited and the Rogers' was Hi-Speed Express) I have 8 months of service so far and all my bills are predictable and the service has so far never been offline. Not one minute. I bought the modem (Thompson for $100 - same price at Canada Computers) and needed a router (Asus RT N-10+ open box $12) and can now have all the streaming and downloading and gaming that I want, which is a lot. My wife and I cut the cable 4 years ago and we've never looked back- Teksavvy cable allows us to do this with minimal hassles and we save a lot of money.

UPDATE:

Still 100% solid, Thanks TSI!

Update July 2014: Simply put, I never have a problem with Teksavvy cable Internet. I've noticed recently that the wait times for CS and TS have decreased significantly. Well done.

We would never consider changing ISP's. We feel sorry for all of you using Rogers, Bell and acanac.

UPDATE July 2014 (again)

Switched to a different package (cable 30) and it took minimal time to take effect. I was happy with the Teksavvy representative on the phone, as he knew exactly what to do and how to do it. He even reminded me that I would have to reset the modem for the change in speeds to take effect. As always, Teksavvy allows us to take the internet for granted which is appreciated! Without Teksavvy, subscribing to the internet would mean a whole world of pain and wasted money.

Thanks again

Comments:

TSILiz

Hi There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, always awesome to see when the service is working and the customer is happy! We appreciate your support and if you ever have any questions or concerns about your account feel free to reach us anytime.

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29

Greatest update!

Thank you very much for your wonderful update on this review! As if it couldn't get any better already!!!

We certainly appreciate your kind words, and love that everything is rock solid for you!

As always, if you need us for anything, please let us know! We'd be happy to help out!

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

TSI Joe-C