TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by TSIFTW See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "A CEO you can stand behind and a company COMMITTED to excellence."
Bad "Relying on Rogers/Bell/Cogeco etc."
Overall "Awesome service, great price."

Been a lurker on this site for awhile now, looking at reviews and forums in order to get as much information as possible to make the right decision on which ISP I wanted to sign up with. I've read enough to know Rogers and Bell were automatically nixed from the conversation and it was really down to either Cogeco or Teksavvy for me. As someone who has been reliant on ACN's 6mpbs/0.8mbps dsl package (which was fine, albeit painfully slow at times) for the last 5 years, I was looking for something with a little more oomph. Decided to go with Teksavvy as I have seen Marc post numerous times on this site and really appreciated how he took such a "hands-on" approach to matters. Along with that, there is a small handful of very dedicated employee's on this site monitoring customer satisfaction and really busting hump for it. So with that, along with a $7/month savings over Cogeco's same package the choice was clear after the smoke settled.

So I signed up for TekSavvy 20/2 package mid July and was informed of an tentative install date 13 days out, and that I can check in to see if the date will be confirmed by Cogeco. Not the greatest thing ever, but I could still hotspot off my phone in the mean time. The CS rep I spoke with was nice and knowledgeable.

Day of install rolls around and the 8-5 window comes and goes and at this point I know the date is tentative with no response from Cogeco cause I had called in a couple times to see if they had confirmed. I was worried that I'm going to have to wait another 2 weeks at this point so I call back in and explain that the tech never made it for the install. I am put on hold for a short time and the rep comes back to me and lets me know that they resubmitted my install to Cogeco and will get a call to confirm a new date for install. Was really starting to get worried at this point, but not 5 hours later did I get a call letting me know that a tech will be there in 2 days. Date of install, tech shows up bright and early, was there for 5 mins max, checked all signal levels and was off.

*****UPDATE NOV 7, 2014****

Has it been a year and a half already? You know that old saying, you don't notice something till it's gone? Well my internet has barely even hiccuped since I've got it! I mean there was the congestion issues back in January and the one RF issue in April that lasted all of a day but come on, no internet provider is perfect.

Any how, yet again, another great review for a company that is clearly just looking out for the common consumer. I watch the forums and see how the agents just get bashed by people and still maintain dignity and professionalism, that is just fantastic. Thanks a lot guys for all you do!

****UPDATE - MAY 15, 2013****

Still rock solid service, but now with MOAR channel bonding!! Gotta say the 10meg upload they did awhile back sure was a nice surprise. So now we are going on almost a year and in that whole time I had one RF hiccup that lasted all of about 36hrs from start to tech visit. For all the people who have had issues with TekSavvy, let my experience show you what it's like on the flip side of the coin.

Damn near perfect service, free service upgrade and quick efficient service from all contribute to another satisfied customer who has already signed up almost 10 of my friends and family!

Been happily cruising along at my full 20 since and I haven't looked back. Been loving having this much of a speed boost and a rock solid connection with not even a hiccup in performance! Thanks TekSavvy!

Comments:

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Thanks

Thanks and welcome aboard.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
TSIFTW

join:2013-08-24
Windsor, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Thanks

Thanks a lot Marc, and this is why I have such high praise for your service, you're the freaking CEO and you're good enough to take the time to welcome me. I see all the stuff you're personally going thru in Rogers land and still you take the time.

Hat's off to you good sir!

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Update

Thanks for the update! Always happy to hear from our customers and get any feedback we can.

Glad to hear all is working well for you. Should there be any hiccups in the future (knock on wood!) you know where to find us

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by tired See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "Great value, reliable speed, no caps, friendly service"
Bad "Support when there are issues is not very helpful or quick."
Overall "Great when it works, which thankfully is almost all of the time. But when there are issues it is painful."

Ordered the 25 MBPS Unlimited cable using a purchased Thomson DCM 475. Tech visit went smoothly though getting online initially was complicated by some challenges with the modem information at Shaw and it took a few calls to get that sorted out. Everyone I dealt with has been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

When complications arise, we do all we can to rectify the issue, in a friendly, helpful and professional manner.

If you experience any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us via the »TekSavvy Direct Forum, via email at support@teksavvy.com or via phone at 1-877-779-1575. Open 24/7! (Excluding Christmas day)

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Re: Your review

Thanks for your recent update. I'm sorry to hear there were some bumps in the road but thrilled to hear we were able to get everything worked out for you and that you've been happy with the customer service.

Should any further issues/concerns come up in the future, we're always here for you.

Have a great weekend!
Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by TeksavvyFan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Amazing features, best price around"
Bad "Could be better upload speeds"
Overall "Simply the No.1 ISP in Canada. Get with them NOW if not already."

I have been through quite a few ISPs in my time, I've gone to Rogers about 4 times and signed up with Bell about 3, then I tried out some indie ISPs like ACN, then Acanac and then finally Teksavvy. Bell was slow back in the day and Rogers was always and still is ludicrously expensive. Both have pathetic uploads unless you get the insanely expensive packages. ACN was cheaper but slow. Acanac used to be good until their prices rose and started capping certain plans and got rid of some of their lower tier plans altogether. Then I found Teksavvy, $42 a month for 25/2 with 300GBs. This plan isn't available anymore but I still have it and I love it. I learned as well that uploads are totally free and they even have a neat feature called "zap the cap" where your download speeds are reduced by roughly 65% between the hours of 8pm-12am in exchange for a removed download cap.

Comments:

TSI Andre

2 edits

Wowza!

Glad to hear you're enjoying what we have to offer. Two Thumbs Up!

Review by motomandd See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great speeds, Great Price, Great Service!"
Bad "Ping times a little high."
Overall "Great Value for your money! Unlimited Prices a bit high, but never go over anyway."

***Note*** I'm with the Cable services in Quebec who uses Videotron as an Incumbent.

Ordered the Cable 60 300GB @ $79,95/Month on the 21st of March, Got installed on the 4th of April.

Tech was great, Installed in 20 minutes, cracking jokes and making everything nice and tidy with the cabling.

Am using a DCM475 with a TP-Link WR1043ND, Making everything run nice and smoothly, always at 60 down 10 up.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2949227624

UPDATE 3/21: Recently moved to another part of town, bringing my services with me. Minus the 3rd party videotron techs who refused to do the work until I called a number on their van and complained, It went great, and service is still extraordinary!

UPDATE: 10/31: Cancelled my services due to moving somewhere where services are already active. Easy, No hassle cancellation, Sad to have left.

member for 1.8 years, 338 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Motomandd,

Thank you for this fantastic review! I am very happy to see the installation went smoothly and the technician was tentative and thorough with your installation, it is also nice to see the technician was friendly with you. I am also very ecstatic to see the installation was completed rather quickly from ordering the service to installation. This is wonderful to see. Thank you for including the speedtest for your service in this review. The speeds you are receiving look fantastic!

Thanks again for this review and please keep us posted on your connection.
If you have any questions or concerns we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee
motomandd

join:2013-03-04
Gatineau, QC
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Review

Hey Ashleigh!

My pleasure! I adore this connection, its pretty much perfect!

My only complaint is for some strange reason I cannot get the 120 down connnection, but strangely I can get it with Videotron. Any ideas?

Update!

Thanks for the update. Glad you are still lovin' it!

Ahhhh

We are sad you left too!

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "no throttling and higher caps for cheaper"
Bad "start up costs are high"
Overall "If it's available in your area, get it,"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I had been with Rogers for about 10 years and about a year ago I got dinged big time by overage charges one month. Since then I'd hoped more ISPs would emerge so I could switch.

About 2 months ago I noticed a Teksavvy ad in a bus shelter on my way home from work. Checked them out, found out they were available in my area so about 2 weeks later I ordered the express service.

I got the modem about 2 days after I ordered. And on the day it was supposed to activate, I just plugged in the modem and was good.

What's great is they don't throttle torrents so you can have them finish in no time if there are enough seeders. I was having some things download at 1MB/second which I've never seen before. And not only that, you have a 300gb cap as well which I'd imagine would be difficult to reach so you can actually go with Netflix if you were considering it and not worry. Also, no DNS redirects if you mistype a URL.

The only drawback for me is the high startup costs, you have to buy the modem, pay an activation fee of $65(which they knock $20 off if you buy the modem from them), and pay the first month in one fell swoop. But to get away from Robbers though, it's worth it.

If Teksavvy is available in your area, you should make the switch.

member for 3.4 years, 526 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Thanks for your review - and welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Glad to hear the switch has been a positive experience for you.

Let us know if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Hung Dao

@99.224.103.x

Roger over usage

Move in to my new address since Aug 2013 got the promotion from my builder 6 month free of 150gb/month with rogers. after six month I had to pay around $600 on top of the free service ,because mostly every month my usage was over 50gb to 60gb that I could not track. Then i pumped up my usage to 300gb which is double the previous cap, I believed that I have a large gap to the cap for safety??? can you image that I still received 60gb over of my 300gb cap some time... what the...
So I called to cancel the service to GET AWAY from Rogers, they will disconnect my service this Nov 11, 2014. I will come back with Teksavvy, the internet provider that I used before I switched to Rogers. With 300gb at Teksavvy I never had gone over usage.

Review by peatbog See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast"
Overall "So Far So Good"

2014 10 13 Update

I switched to teksavvy cable 20/10 in August. The service has been fine except for the one-day or so glitch (some general problem - not teksavvy alone) several weeks ago. Since the glitch, the download speed has continued at a steady 20, and the upload speed is now a steady 10, as opposed to the lower average I was getting before it.

Testing is done several times a day using speedtest.net, so the speeds should be representative. I am not on the pc after 7pm or thereabouts, so God knows what happens then, but for my usage, the service could not be better.

---

2014 08 01 Initial Review

I decided to get cable because, for one or two dollars more a month than our dsl connection, I can get 20/10 for download/upload, and that is much faster than the dsl we had. There is no static IP but that is ok because we no longer run our mail server, and the web server is hardly ever used by us.

The cable installer showed up on Wednesday and connected the cable. He reported a good signal and attached the cable to the new modem that I had bought several days earlier from teksavvy. He said to give it 20 minutes to sync up or whatever it does, and left. There was no other hand-holding. I had also bought an asus wireless router since my dlink is about 4 years old, and had managed to get it running with my dsl connection.

After running an errand, I came home and found all the lights lit on the modem, plugged in the router, and it worked.

Since then, the connection has been fine. I have been home all week and have tested the connection speed several times a day: it almost always hits 20 download, while the upload varies anywhere from 3 to 10, averaging around 6 or 7. Since we were getting .6 for upload with the dsl connection, even 3 for upload is hot stuff. The dsl gave us 5 for download, so 20 is terrific.

The main use is with two desktop computers, but we also have a laptop and that gets a good signal anywhere in the house.

So far so good.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for the review of your TekSavvy services! I am happy to hear you have our Cable internet connected and have had minimal issues with it and are receiving consistent speeds. I am happy to see the installation went smoothly and everything connected right away. This is fantastic to see!!!

If you have any questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forumhttps://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Re: latest Update

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for your update!
We are pleased to see that you are still enjoying your Cable service! If you have any other questions please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S

Review by carl819 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap price"
Bad "Impossible to have a technician, tech support, lack of communication"
Overall "AVOID AT ALL COST, dishonest company"

·Distributel Cable
EDIT : AVOID Teksavvy.

Small suppliers get you with cheap prices, which is great as long as internet works but the minute you need to send a technician, it is really complicated. It took Teksavvy 1 month before having an appointment with a technician when they told me the delay would be 2 weeks. After waiting a month, I told them Videotron could have me an appointment in the next 48 hours and I will change for them. Teksavvy called me 24 hours later to tell me they managed to find a technician.

Also, when I initially called them, they told me that during the WHOLE time internet was down, that they would credit me and just to call them after the technician came. When I called them after the technician came, they told me they would only credit me for 1 week, which is not what they told me.

I filed a complaint with the CRTC since I could not have an adequate resolution. All I wanted was to be credited for the downtime. I will update my review regarding the proceeding. I have a logic that you pay if you have a service. If you don't have a service, you shouldn't have to pay. Clearly, teksavvy doesn't believe in that logic.

If I were you, I would prefer dealing with a larger supplier like Videotron or Rogers because even if you pay less with these small suppliers, when you have internet problems, you are sure that you have a quick and efficient service. Yeah, I save 10$/month but I also had to spent 10 hours arguing with Teksavvy and had to have 1 month without internet.

!!! AVOID AT ALL COST !!!!

member for 1 year, 20 visits, last login: 77 days ago

Comments:

TSI Andre
Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

I am sorry that your experience wasn't so great. Unfortunately, it has become a problem for all TPIA providers in regards to receiving this type of service from the incumbents. Many of our customers have missed tech visits and unnecessary delays.

This is the busiest time of the year for all providers which causes these issues. We filed at the CRTC level last year for this exact type of stuff.

I hope things get settled soon for you. Don't hesitate to post in the direct if you need further help.

Sorry again.

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

RE: Update

Hello carl819,

Thank you for your latest update.
Would you care to provide us with any feedback for your latest update?
Is there anything you would like for us to look into for you?

If so, please do not hesitate to post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum.

Warm regards,
Shawn S
JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
·TekSavvy DSL

Seems pretty honest to me

So the incumbent (Videotron) is playing games with them, TSI still manage to get you a tech faster than Videotron is scheduling them for, TSI offers you a credit for your down time (which sounds like it was less than a week) and TSI is the dishonest one?
carl819

join:2013-12-12
Canada

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23

Re: .

said by carl819:

You clearly don't understand the review
First, how you seem to know the incumbent (Videotron) is playing games... how would you know that ?
Second, Videotron could get me a technician faster than TSI (24h - 48h vs 4 weeks) and TSI got me a technician only after I told them Videotron could send me one once I told them Videotron proposed a technician within the next 48 hours..

Third, if you have to pay while your service is out, and to add to it, when a representative told you you wouldn't have to pay, is simply dishonest

Hey Carl,

Sorry for being brash and I definitely wasn't as clear as I ought to have been. For those of us who spend a fair amount of time on these forms it has become common knowledge that the cable incumbents are "playing games" with the IISPs across the board (not just Teksavvy). IISPs are forbidden by the CRTC from sending out their own technicians, they must submit a ticket with the incumbent and get their technicians to do the work.

What's happening is that the incumbents, in this case Videotron, are scheduling technicians in such a way that it maximizes the "support" time for IISPs and minimizes the "install" time for themselves. This encourages people to switch back to the incumbents as, while the install tech is out, they'll fix any problems at the same time as the install. The reason they do this is that it costs them the same amount of money to roll a "support" technician for an IISP and an "install" technician for themselves (there's no difference between the two technicians).

It's one of the many dirty tactics incumbents are using to try to curb the loss of customers/regain customers who are leaving/have left seeking lower prices/better service. The reason you were able to get a technician faster than the scheduled time is that someone at Teksavvy went to bat for you and got you bumped up Videotron's repair schedule. TSI does not have the ability to force Videotron to do a repair faster due to the CRTC rules that are in place.

I obviously don't know the full details of your situation, only you and TSI do. What I do know is that TSI records all calls and Andre reviews them, especially when such complaints come up. If someone said you'd be credited he'd make sure it was honoured. Based on what you wrote and what I know of TSI in these situations it seems like there's more to the story. I also know that TSI's typical response to a loss of sync for an extended period is to credit the account for the down time because it is a pre-paid service. Depends on the situation obviously. The most common reasons I know of for not receiving a credit is if you weren't actually losing sync or the problem was found to be inside the home.

As I say, I don't know the full details.

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "Works just like Rogers without limiting caps"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Excellent value for money"

·WIND Mobile
I was a Rogers customer for about 8 years ... and generally that was reliable, especially after the move to a DOCSIS modem, so since nothing over the last mile (15km in reality) has changed, I don't expect to see any difference between TekSavvy and Rogers.

I asked for installation on the 16th of May. I ordered an SB6120 which arrived in time. I said a tech visit was not required. I connected the modem at 08:00 and it was still in Rogers Walled Garden. At 09:00 I was live on TekSavvy and apart from a login glitch on DSLR everything was identical. No tech appeared at my door.

This is operating in parallel with Rogers service. Nobody told me I can't since I had 2 modems it was technically good to go and that's how it's been since. I didn't want any risk of prolonged down time if I did a transfer that went awry.

I'm on TekSavvy Express and was on Rogers Express. Speedtests behave similarly. I really can't tell much difference. Pings around the world are comparable. There are a couple strange routings out of TekSavvy but the same would happen with Rogers ... just different.

Happy to pay less for a higher throughput limitation. 300GB/month as opposed to 60.

----------------------------

6 months on ...

Told Rogers to take a hike after the extra month of 2 providers. TekSavvy's service has been no different from Rogers apart from a minor technical issue created by Rogers mismanagement of the TSI POI router at Fallowfield causing a slowdown.

Since I lost the discounts with Rogers, it's not saving me as much as I might prefer, but hey, I'm happy to be supporting TSI.

---------------------------
August 2012

Upgrades have resulted in terrific download speeds. Uploads still slow, but that's Rogers for ya ... not offering improved speeds yet.

The underlying Rogers service has been quite solid and I haven't had to use TSI support, since the couple times internet has gone out, so has TV ... so that's a Rogers issue ... 1-888-ROGERS1 fixes all

---------------------------
June 2013

DOCSIS 3 implementation by Rogers has with a Motorola 6120 modem allowed further upgrades and I chose to upgrade to a 1Mbps upload profile. Speed is very reliable except during the recent DDoS attack on TSI. 28/1 profile.

Any contact with TSI has had things resolved quickly and easily. I use the Direct forum ... I think I've only phoned them once ever!

Will consider the change to non-grandfathered profile after the change to ATPIA on our head end.

It would take a mega disaster to make we want to go back to Rogers!

Sep 2014

Still on 28/1 ... chose not to go non-grandfathered ... this does the job well. I'm waiting for the changes coming down the line after the CRTC process.

member for 13 years, 6457 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marty

Your Review

Thank you for the update on your review, this is very much appreciated and we are ecstatic that you are still enjoying the services!

Martin

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review Update

Hi sbrook!

Glad to hear you're still happy with your plan! Hopefully we'll soon hear great news from the CRTC end, so thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Review by intelligence See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Quick and smooth install, 60Mbps down and 10Mbps up."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Very happy so far!"

I ordered the CABLE 60 package at $69.95 + TAX which gives 60 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, the bandwidth limit is 150 GB / month but unlimited between 2AM - 8AM.

The order and install process went very smoothly, 12 days from order to completed installation. The Rogers technician showed up on time and he wasn't too happy with my signal so he replaced a three-way splitter with a two way and boosted it which was good.

I bought my own Technicolor DCM476 from here »bit.ly/teksavvy-cable-modem at a good price. I just had to buy it before ordering Teksavvy so I could put the MAC address and serial number into the Teksavvy order form. It works perfectly and the link shows up as 1 Gigabit between the MODEM and laptop I was using for testing.

Overall I was surprised the service was hooked up on time and the download and upload speeds were exactly as advertised. I wouldn't hesitate recommending Teksavvy thus far but other than my initial testing right after the cable guy hooked it up I haven't been able to use it properly because we haven't actually moved into the house yet, I'm looking forward to using it in anger and seeing how it stands up to streaming and heavy usage.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Thanks for the great review.

Hi There,

Glad everything went smoothly for you. This is what we aim to do.

Congratulations on the house, hope all goes smoothly for you in that regards as the Internet setup went.

If the service doesn't stand up to your vigorous testing, than let us know so we can have a look at what's happening.

Enjoy the service!
Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

Rating

Thanks for the update! Don't be afraid to rate us

Review by nbegin See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better than posted DL speeds when backhaul is not congested"
Bad "It took 8 days to recover from last Ice - TPIA's are definitely second class "
Overall "Good value - but don't run voip on cable"

Originally ordered 10M/500K on an SB5100. Install was horrific (thanks Rogers) and had to wait 8 days for a Rogers tech to close a ticket to get service. Good speeds (20M) off hours. Upgrade to 15M/1M on an SB6120. Upgraded to 45M/4M and it's pretty good. Connection has been pretty solid, though definitely felt like a second class citizen during the last ice storm. Had to wait 8 days for a Rogers tech even though they were on the street the day after the storm and I called as soon as the cable went down.

Comments:

TSI Chris K
join:2013-10-25

Hello nbegin,

Thank you for the review, we do appreciate when our customers take the line to let us know how we are doing.

We are happy to hear your internet connection has been solid. We understand how you feel about waiting for the technician, we tried to get them out as soon as we can. We are working with our vendor to alleviate the wait times our customer have to endure for the technicians. We appreciate your understanding and loyalty during times like these.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free contact us.

Thanks,