Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Works great, professional staff to talk to."
Overall "Extremely pleased! Great service!"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Ordered this service beginning of Feb 2013 activated start of March. I disconnected my Rogers modem at 8 am plugged in new modem was up and running in minutes. Originally ordered 18 / 1 package with a DCM 476 modem supplied by Teksavvy.

Switched to new 35 / 3 package in June when APTIA was completed in Cambridge. Took approximately 2 weeks to get new package.

Changed packages prior to tiers changing on June 7, 2014, speed changed happened on June 11.
Tested speed it is exactly as stated 45 / 4 works great

Dec 18 2014

Still working decent some evening slow downs and high pings for the last month or so, not a deal breaker.Hopefully fixed soon.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you have been using the service for a few months now without issue. This is wonderful to see. I apologize for the delay in changing your speeds. Generally this is completed within 48 hours however it looks like you made the change when we were having vendor delays. I apologize for that delay.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

re:review

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the update!

Glad to hear that you have the 45/4 package!

Please note that the 45/4 package is no longer available now. You are now on a grandfathered package. Enjoy your service!

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions!
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

canada

Update

Hey Maxx2006!

Thanks for the update on the review, we're are hoping that the issues described in your review have gone away and that you are back on a stable connection. If not, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us.

Review by crt See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Higher bandwidth cap, fair prices, and direct customer service via dslreports forums are all advantages over Rogers."
Bad "Once a year when it's time to upgrade the infrastructure, everything goes back to the dark ages."
Overall "Best residental ISP for Kitchener/Waterloo compared to other competition."

UPDATE - December 9, 2014
Still on 45/4, service since last update has been same as always. But who cares I guess. I doubt their customer service can help me, so I won't even bother. Just going to wait to get back to intermittent 45/4 when Rogers fixes the problem, which I suspect will take 2-3 months.

»www.dropbox.com/s/qwpnwt ··· 0.15.png

Upload test won't even connect.

UPDATE - July 17, 2013
Upgraded to 45/4 from 28/1. Not impressed by the speeds at all.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1967.png

Guess I'll wait for Rogers to fix it, like always. I should have stayed on 28/1. Keeping review scores the same, except for connection reliability. It has been god awful for years.

UPDATE - April 4, 2013
Modem fiasco is being resolved quickly. More updates after I see how the provisioning process goes. Hopefully my current modem does not prematurely deactivate before the new one is ready. Also, I was mistaken about the rates. I'm in Rogers territory, not Cogeco, which is more expensive.

UPDATE - April 3, 2013
Compared to when I first came to TekSavvy, the speeds and stability is much better.

Recently, I ordered a new modem and its been a week with no email for invoice/payment details. Looks like ATPIA rates are more money for slower speeds anyways. I give up again, just going to keep giving them my money because there's nothing better available. Maybe someday I can give a 100% rating.

UPDATE - Sept. 26, 2011
My theory on how Teksavvy is dealing with the network congestion. Step 1) Send Email to Rogers. Step 2) Wait 48 hours. Step 3) Done.

ORIGINAL review
TekSavvy pre sales information and install co-ordination is all a clever lure to take you away from Rogers for more of the same.

I'm supposed to be getting 15 Mbps downstream. For 2 months I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps for more than 12 hours a day.

Direct support forum takes 2 years to respond to any problems. The same drivel is given every time: "Rogers is upgrading, just be patient".

Value for money is terrible with activations fees when I was already on Rogers and had a modem already. They had to send two techs out to look at my modem lights and say 'Okay you're good'. The techs were not even Rogers employees. For all I know they could have been there to steal my TV.

The monthly fees and bandwidth caps are fine. Not that I'll ever reach 300 gb with a 1 Mbps connection. It's still better value than the lightest Rogers package. Though, not by very much.

Highly NOT recommended. Go with DSL or something else.

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your Modem order

Hello,

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum as we would like to discuss the Modem with you.

Thanks,

join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Massive outage

Do you realize that there is a massive outage today affecting all ATPIA clients: »[OUTAGES] July 17th

I would recommend holding off on speedtests and updating your review on the 45/4 until the smokes clears from these fiber cut/routing issues.

Review by matmat09 See Profile

• Location: Vanier,ON
Good "Best price and best service "
Overall "The best Canadian ISP by far"

You can't beet teksavvy. Best price unmatched service. If your tired of paying high bills and not getting what you pay for like we were then you will be very happy with teksavvy prices. Never had a problem never had the internet dropped and i can now easily host any games with the guys which was impossible when we had bell. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Dec-8-14 update: Still quite satisfied with the service. No issues, reliable as a rock.

Comments:

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for you review

Very happy to hear you have been a satisfied customers.

If you ever have any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Martin

canada

Update

Hey matmat09!

Thanks for the update on the review. Glad that you are still enjoying the service. Don't hesitate to get a hold of us if you ever need anything.

Review by lillypad_339 See Profile

• Location: Breslau,ON
Good "No Slowdowns... Good customer service"
Bad "Was down for 2.5 days once"
Overall "Great service and great price"

I've been with Teksavvy cable for 2 years now.
In this time, there was one bumpy area where it seemed like half on Ontario was down. I think it was a public relations fight with Rogers. They were doing some upgrades and introducing caps at the same time. While I was down, the company offered to send me a wireless stick in the mail.

Since then, I've been up. All the time. To tell you the truth, it's more stable than my Rogers Business internet at work.

I have a comparison, as I used to have Bell DSL.
I use a VPN to connect to the US. While I was with Bell, they did something funky, as I constantly had to reset the VPN settings. It was almost every day that the VPN connection was going down. The DSL speeds were of course slow as hell to boot. It seemed like the maximum rate I could get was 2.5 meg from the VPN even though the advertised rate was 5.

With Teksavvy, I've never had to reset the VPN. It's just always up. For the same price, I have double the cap, and 5 times the speed.
Of course, I've gone to a zap the cap which limits my speed to 9 meg during the hours of 8pm - 12, but now I have no cap. The result is that 2 tv's can now stream movies without risk of going over the cap, where as with Bell we could barely do 1 tv at any given time.

I'm extremely happy with the price, and with the service. I recommend anybody who has rogers cable to make the switch.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hey lillypad_339!

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you are satisfied with the service. If there is anything that comes up in the future, please do not hesitate to get a hold of us.

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two and a half years (currently January 2015), and I have had to reach out to them once, when there was a problem affecting the whole area. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.8 years, 922 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Thanks again
Ashleigh

Hey tross!

Thanks for the update on the review! Glad that the service is meeting expectations and happy to see you've been a customer of ours for 2 and a half years! If you ever need us, looks like you know where to find us.

Review by harvest See Profile

• Location: Port Stanley,ON
Good "Okay ISP"
Bad "Webmail interface is the pits"
Overall "Shop around"

Have the 25/2 package.

Order and self install was uneventful

Thompson DCM476 modem DOCSIS 3.0

First year, service was erratic with frequent short outages. I don't hold Teksavvy responsible for this as I believe it was the parent ISP responsible for the outages. At 2 years, our service has stabilized and seems to be more reliable.

Worst: The webmail interface. Takes a very long time to load (if you are lucky). Many times webmail is unavailable.

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

DSLr Review

Hello Harvest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I understand the frustration you had with these issues. I would very much like to look into your situation. I'd like see if there are ways and means that we can improve on how we handled your issues and make recommendations on improvement. If you wouldn't mind posting your account information in the our direct thread I can review the account. »TekSavvy Direct

TSI John Customer Experience Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Terinox See Profile

Good "Value for price and reliability..."
Bad "Just like others, sometimes long wait for customer service"
Overall "Best value of all ISP's (in my opinion)"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
When I moved to Toronto from Mississauga, decided to switch from Roger's to Teksavvy. The price was cheaper, and the speeds were the same, and at the time the reviews were all positive. This was several years ago, I believe 2010 to about 2013. I had Teksavvy for about 3 years, which back then I think was the 18 mbps down / 2 mbps up for $39.99/month. I called them and set up installation for the same week I bought my new house, and even though other's have complained about hook up, mine went extra smooth. Two techs from Roger's showed up and installed my internet in less than an hour. I was up and running instantly, speeds exactly as advertised.

Later they raised the price to $42/month but they had also increased the speed to 25 mbps down / 3 mbps up. It was only a $2 increase and they gave me plenty of warning before doing so and I did not mind at all.

OVERALL - I had a great experience with them...

BUT then (evil) Roger's called and offered me a crazy "promotion" deal, and sadly I could NOT turn it down. This is when Roger's was trying desperately to put Teksavvy out of business and steal their customers.

Roger's offered me 30 mbps down / 5 mbps up with 300GB usage for only $45.00/month ***BUT*** WITH AN 8 YEAR PRICE LOCK GUARANTEE!!! I couldn't believe it!

I think till this day Roger's is kicking themselves in the ass for offering this promotion. They have actually raised my price THREE TIMES and every time I have had to call back and yell and complain to management about their price lock guarantee they offered until they finally apologize to me and credit back the money they charged. Roger's definitely regret's this offer, but I was one of the lucky ones who actually got this promotion!).

P.S. If Roger's ever does try to cancel or change my package or try to some how deceive me and raise my internet price, I will INSTANTLY cancel and go straight back to Teksavvy! I regret leaving Teksavvy because I want to support the smaller business competitor, but the value was just too good to give up

Comments:

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Hi there!

Firstly, thank you very much for your kind words and filling us in on your positive experience!

While we're sad that you're leaving, we understand the value of a good bargain, so we can't be totally mad. lol.

If you ever need anything, or have any questions or concerns, or want to sign back up, by all means, please let us know! We'd be happy to help!

Have a great evening, and a Happy New Year to you as well!

Thank you, once again!

Regards,
TSI Joe-C

Review by rrt2008 See Profile

• Location: Keswick,ON
Good "cheaper than Rogers"
Bad "sites slow to load, youtube and Netflix buffer frequently"
Overall "Rogers had more stable service. Switching back to them"

When we had Rogers internet, there were never slow to load sites or buffering on youtube or Netflix. I always obtained my advertized speeds on wifi. Since switching to Teksavvy, my wifi speeds are half of what is aderttized. This is with the same router (Asus rt n66u). Sites load much slower and the buffering has made Youtube and Netflix unwachable. We are switching back to Rogers, even though I despise them. Rogers may be horrible for billing and cstomer service but at least it was fast and we never had any issues requiring a tech or any outages. It's too bad because Teksavvy has great prices and customer service

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello rrt2008

Thank you for the review. I regret to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your TekSavvy services. We would be happy to look into your account to see where we could have improved the service for you. Please feel free to post in the Direct Forum so we can investigate for you.

Regards,
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

needsomehelp

join:2014-02-07
Canada

3 recommendations

Broken router maybe?

Ummm....have you tried removing your router? Things do break down over time...
rrt2008

join:2008-02-06
Keswick, ON

Re: Broken router maybe?

It's not the router. Switched back to rogers and now getting the speeds, no buffering on streams, no lags opening pages

Review by sheytoon See Profile

Good "Great service for a reasonable cost"
Bad "Troubleshooting and support is at the mercy of Rogers"
Overall "Best ISP for the cost"

·CircleNet
I'm a happy Teksavvy cable internet user for 18+ months, on the 25/2 plan with 300GB per month (in Ontario). The newer packages are more expensive than I was expecting, which is preventing me from moving to the 30/5 plan.

Download and upload speeds have been excellent for me overall. The only problem is that Teksavvy must submit support tickets to Rogers any time there are issues, which results in slow responses (from Rogers) and additional steps that may not be necessary for resolving the issue.

Having said that, the overwhelming majority of the time, my service has been amazing, and there have been no major issues.

I also appreciate how easy it is to get in touch with Teksavvy employees online, and I like that their company culture is focused on customer service. I hope Teksavvy is able to hold Rogers more accountable in the future.

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Review Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. It is very much appreciated. It helps us a great deal when a cutomer gives us an idea on how we are doing. Both Good and not so good comments help us to grow and correct any issues so they do not happen again in the future.

Thanks Again,
TSI John Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

chandavid

@135.23.130.x

Re: Review Comment

Very bad experience with TechSavvy. All they want to do is close your ticket quickly without actually solving your problem. Definitely thumbs down for my location.

Review by c_gadfly See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "saved from the Bell"
Overall "best experience ever - you will not regret it (until Rogers makes you regret it)"

-edit- originally from February 2011

Signed up for 10/0.5 and speedtests so far show 15/0.5. Bought DOCSIS 3.0 modem SB6120 for $99.

Saves me from Bell DSL with its 2.5M speed. Even though I had a unlimited grandfathered plan with Bell.

Modem came in 2 days. Had to wait for Rogers tech to come give his blessing. Before the tech visit, the modem showed bonding to downstream channels but no IP address. As soon as he "finished" his work presumably by letting Rogers know that the job is finished, the modem got an IP address. All he did was add a splitter near the cable modem and checked the signal strength. I wish TekSavvy would clarify that part about when exactly is the modem activated and by whom (in my case it was after the Rogers Tech visit was officially over).

-edit- upgraded to 25/2.

-edit- August 2013 - prime time congestion, fiber cuts, botched ATPIA migration has made me change my review slightly towards the downside.

-edit- December 2014 - prime time congestion is back.

member for 6.9 years, 1227 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello C-Gadfly,

Thank you for this review. I’m happy you have been enjoying the service and that the installation had gone smoothly for you. This is great to read. When placing an order we do inform the customers that the service can take up to midnight to be activated this gives our vendor enough time to complete the work order and ensure everything is connected for our customers.

Are you currently having a service issue? I see in your update you have mentioned that congestion, fibre cuts and the migration have made you change your TekSavvy rating.
If there is anything we can look into for you please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this review.