TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ronin1701 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Faster than advertised (assuming the speedtest I ran is accurate)"
Bad "Pre-activation co-ordination."
Overall "Cheaper and faster than Rogers."

Initial review, October 13, 2011:

I activated on August 2, 2011, and delayed posting my review until now so that I could have some experience of their service before commenting.

My last ISP was Rogers (included in my rental condo, so I didn't have a choice) and I'd been out of the country for several years before that. So Teksavvy wasn't even on my radar screen until I started doing some research on ISPs in preparation for my most recent move. All I knew was that I really didn't want to go with either Rogers or Bell (both of which I've used in the past). Telus isn't an option in my area.

Teksavvy's website is decent, but not spectacular as far information goes. But I was able to reach their customer service department quite easily with various questions I had on services and price plans (four calls in three days), with wait times of under 5 minutes each. All the CSRs I dealt with were knowledgeable about what I was asking (fee structure, modems available, one-time charges, etc.), so I was actually impressed with that. 3/5 for the website, 5/5 for the humans, averaging out to the 4/5 rating I gave above for Pre Sales Information.

In the end, I decided to go with their "Express Cable" service at $36.95/month + HST. Interestingly the speeds and names (Express, Extreme, etc.) of their various cable internet packages replicate that of Rogers exactly, the only differences being price and usage cap.

I placed my order via their online application form on July 22, and on July 23 received an email confirmation that my order had been received (note: only that it was received, not that it was accepted or processed).

I chose to go with the DOCSIS 3.0 compliant Thomson DCM475 modem as it's only marginally more than the other model offered (the DOCSIS 2.0 Thomson DCM425), about $25 price difference if I recall correctly. My only issue is that their online form tells you that you can only order the DCM475 if you are taking their Extreme or Extreme pro package. After speaking to CS (one of the four calls I mentioned above), they explained that they "discourage" it since a DOCSIS 3.0 modem isn't needed for the slower speed services, but that if I really wanted it, I could still buy it. Which I did.

My modem was received in the mail on Wednesday July 27. Note that Teksavvy requires that you go to the nearest Canada post outlet to pick up your modem - delivery is not to your door.

The main problem I had was with Install Co-ordination. The issue is that according to Teksavvy, I should have received an email confirmation from them of my activation date within 2-3 business days of submitting my order, but as of business day 5: July 29 (the Friday - and last business day - prior to my requested activation date of August 2 (the day after Civic Holiday Monday) I still hadn't heard back from them. Which is funny, because my credit card was charged on July 25, so obviously my order had been processed. When I called them, the CSR told me that Rogers hadn't confirmed with them yet. I specifically requested a callback (because I was losing internet access due to my move) when they did receive confirmation of my activation date, but I never received that call (or even an email).

So I waited around at home on Tuesday afternoon of my requested activation, and fortunately the Rogers guy did eventually show up. As it turns out, all he did was test the line to make sure there was an active signal. There's no real "activation" per se - so I probably could have plugged in my modem myself a few days earlier.

I gave them a rating of 2 out of 5 for Install Co-ordination. I would have given them a 1 out of 5, except that the modem was received very quickly (they said it should arrive by Friday, and I got it on Wednesday).

Other than that, everything else has been fine. In the past 2.5 months I haven't had any issues that required getting in touch with Tech Support. Hence I have left the Tech Support rating blank.

Re: download speeds, anecdotally I can say that I'm getting super download speeds, especially with torrents (my g/f is extremely jealous). But I can't give you a hard number because the speedtest I ran through dslreports.com is only showing me d/l speeds of ~3-4 Mbps, but through speedtest.net I'm consistently getting results in the 18-20 Mbps range. The advertised speed for the "Express" service is 12Mbps, so I'm not sure which speedtest to believe. But it's unquestionably faster than what I had with Rogers previously, and I'm happy with the service I've got now, so I guess that's what matters.

Other points:

- Teksavvy doesn't provide any sort of bandwidth tracker, so there's no way to know what your usage is for the current period (which begs the question of how Teksavvy knows that you're over the 300 GB usage limit??).

- If you buy the modem directly from Teksavvy, they don't include the warranty card. According to CS, if there's an issue with your modem within the 1 year warranty period, they'll take care of the repair or replacement.

- your credit card gets billed about 5 calendar days before each service period. They only accept VISA and MC.

Speedtest archive:

»/im/99115609/6322.png

»/im/99123696/92502.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/1534510426.png

~

Comments:

Review by clee8 See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Hassle free setup. Great speeds at off-peak times"
Bad "Congestion @ peak hours, long Cx wait times"
Overall "Same good old ISP, but explosive growth has really impacted customer service"

I've used TSI Cable for around 4 months, and on initial sign up the McNicoll POI was practically congested to death. Luckily, it didn't last too long until upgrades took place.

It was 1-2 months of nice speeds until now in October, where congestion occurs again at night. It isn't all too bad, and I get speeds ranging from 6mbps to 15mbps during peak hours. This is post-upgrade, so before when I was reaching the advertised speeds of 15mbps, I was pretty happy. Unfortunately, since the speed bumps, things really haven't looked so good.

I purchased the SB6120 for $99 to get $20 off the activation fee.

Wait times for calls have been lengthy too.. I remember back in 2006 when you could connect to an awesome tech support rep instantly when you called in. Those were the good old days.

With Bell's 50% off offer on Fibe 25 for 12 months, no contract, the choice was simple. I will take a break from TSI for a year, and hopefully when the 50% off promotion ends, TSI Cable will be in full swing with no congestion issues.

Comments:

Review by Cryptonyt See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Bad "Less than one week and internet is down!!!"
Overall "Still undecided, but experience has not been a good one so far."

Day 1: downloads work, NetFlix is good, XBox live is great.
Day 5 : websites crawling, no NetFlix, no Xbox Live, and no answers from Teksavvy other than a BS "it was Rogers fault" excuse.

I was so looking forward to Teksavvy (although they were my second choice behind Acanac, which is not available in my area). I am now regretting leaving Rogers. :-( Overpriced, capped internet is still better than no internet at all! Also, I paid Teksavvy $100 for a cable modem, and received a piece of crap refurb modem. I am sooooooo disappointed!

Service is up and running now, but 3+ days down, does not leave a good taste.

Comments:

Review by ahm2307 See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Excellent speeds at decent prices, no downtime to date"
Bad "For two weeks, experienced terrible speeds due to problems with my local node"
Overall "TSI a great company, but they rely on Rogers to deliver their services so expect some frustrations"

Update Oct. 1: It seems like the issue was finally resolved. Rogers fixed whatever was wrong with the POI I'm connected to. Here's my advice in a nutshell:

As far as frustrations go, you go through the same hard time with TSI as you did with Bell/Rogers/Telus. However, TSI does offer much more competitive packages and, therefore, they deserve your business.

---

Update Sept. 26: I tried calling customer service at 6:10 pm today. It is now 7:46 pm and still no pick up. I requested a callback, got one at 11:10 pm. The guy was nice but said exactly what I expect him to say: There's a problem at the Scarlett POI, Rogers is aware of it, they'll fix it; no, we don't know when and, sorry, we can't offer credit until the problem is fixed. I'll give them a month. Till then, my review score stands.

As to the commenter below, believe it or not, TSI is STILL accepting customers in Etobicoke, meaning the Scarlett POI is only going to get worse. They only issued a stop sell for Dupont POI and a few others.

----

Ok, so it's been two months and my opinion has changed sharply.

Whereas before I was so overwhelmed with how good these guys are compared to Rogers/Bell, it's clear to me now that they are just as bad, if partly because of the incumbents themselves.

The speeds I'm getting today are far worse than what I was getting with Rogers. I'm taking 1 Mb/s in most cases. I can't play games, stream videos on any websites, including Youtube...can't even listen to internet radio. It's basically a crippled internet connection, far worse than the one I had in Egypt, a third world country with a very weak internet infrastructure.

I have not called their customer service yet, so I've kept my 4/5 tech service rating intact, but I don't anticipate they'll do much when I call them tomorrow.

I can't say I'm not disappointed. Part of me really felt that the connection I was getting was too good to be true, and sadly that turned out to be the case.

Expect their rating to decline steadily over the months to come as they pile on more customers further choking their already-congested POIs.

I am currently considering switching to another small company, Acanac, but really, what's the use? Internet is garbage here in Canada. I've been with all of them: Bell Sympatico, Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe and a small cable company that serves only north Alberta, where I briefly worked. I have nothing good to say about any of them.

I am embarrassed when my parents come to visit me from Egypt or Turkey (where they're from) and complain about the internet being too slow; yes, believe it or not, our speeds are "too slow" compared to third world countries. That's how bad it is.

All that aside, I stand by my principle never to do any business with Bell, Rogers or Telus. These three companies alone have undermined Canada's entire telecommunications industry.

Comments:

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "High usage caps, no throttling, management that actually cares."
Bad "Due to congestion issues, speeds are consistently slower than advertised."
Overall "Until congestion issues are resolved, I can't recommend them."

·AEI Internet
·Anveo
TekSavvy is a great company that really cares about its customers. They have taken every initiative to protect our interests, most notably in the battle against Bell imposing caps on wholesale customers. I applaud TekSavvy for this and want to continue to support them in their endeavors.

But I simply can't. Due to severe congestion on the cable network in many parts of Ontario, my TekSavvy Internet service is almost unusable during the hours I use it. The only time I can get the advertised speed is during the day, when I'm at school. Using it in the evening and at night is an exercise in patience.

Granted, the root of the problem is Rogers' inability (or unwillingness) to implement needed upgrades to the network infrastructure. I can't fault TekSavvy for this, but ultimately it's TekSavvy that I'm paying, and it's TekSavvy that isn't living up to its end of the bargain. So I'm jumping ship. For now.

I've switched to Bell, at least for the next few months. (I bought a prepaid grab-and-go kit from Dell at a great price.) Hopefully TekSavvy will be able to get the issues fixed soon, at which point I will gladly rejoin the TekSavvy fold. Until then, I have no choice but to go with a service that works all of the time, and despite how much I hate them, Bell is that choice. (After my promotional period with Bell ends, if TekSavvy is still having issues with their cable Internet service I may go with their high-speed DSL instead.)

TekSavvy, I wish you luck in your efforts to get things under control. I hope to be back very, very soon.

Comments:

Review by torontoitguy See Profile

• Location: M8Z0B8
Good "Decent order process. Installed on time"
Bad "Can not use service in the evenings"
Overall "Do not choose TekSavvy. Rogers will force them out"

Order to live went without a hitch...

The sales/Install coordination staff could use more training. The agent I initially called could not find the MAC of my modem in their system... She put me on hold for 5 minutes, and all seem to be fine with the modem/MAC.

Connection installed 29/9 at around 1pm. Decent speeds - 20M/1M (down/up). Then it went downhill in the evening...

I'm on the Scarlett POI.... in the evenings, the service is unusable (.9M/1). My fault, should have read these groups further before putting an order through.

Overall these issues are probably the fault is mostly Rogers'. However, doesn't seem like TekSavvy has a strong enough lobby or regulatory support to keep their customers happy.

Bottom line - Beg Rogers for a discount and stay with them. I will cancel my TekSavvy service after the initial month (prepaid as I bought the Canada Computes bundle).

So disappointed, we not refer my customers to TekSaavy (this was my attempt to test them out).

Comments:

Review by DaJackel See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High Caps"
Bad "3-4 Hour Customer Service Wait Times, Unusable Internet Speeds"
Overall "Stay far away from TekSavvy until they get their act together."

I was switching to TekSavvy from another TPIA and was informed that it would be an easy switch and I was told I'd have a technician scheduled for my install date and I'd receive a call with the exact time. The day before my internet was supposed to be activated I still hadn't received the call regarding my installation so I called TekSavvy myself. After waiting 80 minutes to get through to someone I was informed that I couldn't be activated as a switch and I'd have to instead be set up as a new account.

Wonderful. I complained and was told I'd get priority installation and it would be scheduled for 3 days from the call. 3 Days later I got a call saying they couldn't have an installer in at that time and it would be delayed another few days.

Fast forward a few more days and I did have my internet up and running. For 2 days.

After that my line was cut cold (it WAS marked as TPIA). I had to wait another 8 days to get a Rogers tech to come out and look at it. He came and did his business but I was still not able to connect. Spent another hour waiting to get a hold of TekSavvy and they said they'd put in another request to Rogers and would call me back. The next day I called TekSavvy and got someone else who did something magical that the other support rep could not do (apparently?) and my internet was finally working again.

Of course, that is if you call 300kb/s download speeds 'working'.

I was also promised a credit for my downtime but of course I never got that. When I received my bill from the accounting department and mentioned the credit they said they heard nothing about it.

Stay far away.

Comments:

Review by ssherwood See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely low pings (6ms to Gateway), Powerboost, excellent Canadian company"
Bad "Install coordination with Rogers is abysmal"
Overall "One of the best options in Toronto despite installation glitches"

=== Update September 28, 2011 ===

My connection continues to be pretty solid, but Teksavvy is experiencing some growing pains.

Still - they are proceeding in a much more honorable fashion than I've experienced from any other ISP in terms of trying to limit the poor experience as much as possible.

I give Teksavvy big points for issuing stop-sells across their most heavily saturated areas while waiting at times for SIX months for Rogers to act.

My speeds have been upgraded from 10Mbit, to 15Mbit and finally earlier this month to 24Mbit. That is a ton of improvement - oh and by the way, at no additional cost!

Thanks Teksavvy!

-- SS

=== Teksavvy Cable Internet Review – June 24, 2010 ===

Hi all,

I've really run pretty much the full gambit of Internet access providers in Canada.

I've had dialup
I've had DSL
I've had cable
I've had VDSL2

I've never before had the opportunity to experience Internet service via multiple connectivity options through a single provider. Enter Teksavvy.

Teksavvy - The Company

I've been a TSI DSL customer for quite some time. Here is my positive review of their DSL services :

»Review of TekSavvy DSL by ssherwood

I ordered the new cable service on May 20, and it was installed on June 21. As you see from the long delay between ordering and completion, I did hit a few fairly significant bumps in the road between ordering and going live. Suffice it to say that I experienced several instances of communication troubles, and what seemed like teething issues related to this very new offering for TSI in terms of the process interfacing with Rogers.

In a nutshell, TSI and Rogers are just beginning to sort out their relationship, and so naturally there are still some issues to be ironed out, like the complete lack of any kind of escalation procedure.

To TSI's credit, they have a wonderful group working on their behalf. Never once did anybody try to tell me that the problems I experienced were due to an error I made. I can honestly say that I've never been treated better by an ISP than these folks who were willing and able to accept the blame for a flawed system. I really appreciate a company who is 1) truthful, and 2) which knows that it isn't perfect, but strives to make things right. This is certainly different that the experiences I have had with the larger ISPs in Canada who tend to try to transfer the blame and responsibility for errors onto the customer, even when they are demonstrated to have originated elsewhere.

A company that strives to be honest and deliver the product that they sell without any smoke and mirrors… how refreshing!

Teksavvy – Internet Service and Installation

After a couple of miscued installation appointments, my service was installed on June 21. Upon the tech’s arrival he immediately got to work to reconnect the existing cabling from the Rogers demark to the line which originally fed my cable modem. He wasn’t even going to come upstairs until I asked him to at least come and double check that the levels were OK. (I thought he had to activate the modem somehow, turns out he just completed the work order in the truck and that took care of the modem coming online) The levels were checked at the modem end of the cable, and all looked great to him. Within about 10 minutes of the tech’s arrival, I was able to test out the connection successfully.

I ordered the “Teksavvy Extreme Cable” (10mbit/1mbit w/200gb) It immediately impressed as the speed was certainly just as fast as my previous experience with Rogers.

In fact, over the first few days that I’ve had the service, I can say that for me at least, it is better than when I was with Rogers. The ping times to my gateway are 6ms!! Fantastic! Plus, I see that my new TSI cable has “speed boost” which dramatically quickens the first few seconds of a download to approximately 30mbit/s! Cool!

I've noted no throttling of P2P, and am able to max out my line using things like multi-threaded HTTP and NNTP file transfers any time of the day.

Only time will tell if TSI’s cable offerings as a platform are as stable in terms of uptime and performance as their DSL products, but so far, I’m definitely pleased.

Conclusion

If you’ve made it this far, I’m hoping that you will conclude as I have that the service is definitely a good one. TSI’s customer service and technical support teams are really second to none, and at least so far, the product itself is exactly what I ordered.

I expect that TSI and Rogers will iron out the remaining glitches in the ordering system, but if you do experience any trouble, give TSI the chance and they will try their best to get it right.

-- SS

member for 12.9 years, 1940 visits, last login: 16 days ago

Comments:

Review by TKWizard See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely fast internet (In the mornings/afternoon), no caps."
Bad "SLOW IN THE EVENINGS"
Overall "Stay away from it if you're in the Dupont POI area, you WILL be ignored!"

I used to be a customer of Primus and they announced their UBB plan as predicted. So I quickly signed up for Teksavvy on the 31st of December over the phone and gave the necessary information and date of installation. I ordered the 15/1 Extreme Cable Pro package. All that was smooth.

The Modem (SB6120) came to the Post office on Friday January 7th, but it was picked up on Saturday Jan 8th, due to work.

On January 10th, the technician came 30 mins earlier than the scheduled install time (4:30pm) and drilled a hole in our house for the cable to be connected to the Demarc point and the modem upstairs.

After a few hours wait and a dumb mistake of putting in the wrong RJ-45 cable, the service was activated!

Ran a speed test and got a 24.17 Up (With speedboost) and 1 down as advertised. I also do not have the problems that some people have been getting on the Dupont POI where my house is located during peak times.

Tried to download a 14 Gig video, finished in almost 2 1/2 hours. WAY Better than the ultra slow take over 20 hrs to get it @ 320KB/sec..

So far I'm very happy with the service and I would recommend it to everyone!

-edit- September 28.

The Dupont POI has been ridiculously slow in the evenings for the last 1/3 of the year and Teksavvy completely ignores us. I have already put in a ticket into the Direct Forum and its being ignored there. Its like we do not exist.

Yesterday's result.

»/im/98883322/29814.png

My downstream is between 591000000 Hz and 615000000 Hz on four channels with a S2N ratio of 37-38dB.

Please stop dropping the ball Teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by joewahba See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High cap limits"
Bad "1mb/s download during peak ours, 2 hour wait times for service.."
Overall "Much worse service than Rogers"

I've been a Teksavvy extreme cable (15/mbs) customer for a month and have decided to go back to Rogers. I've been getting 500kb downloading during 5pm-2am for the past couple of weeks. They put the stop sale on now, but they should have calculated the strain this customer base would put on their current bandwidth. I'm not impressed at all by their support, they haven't offered to reimburse customers for their error and after waiting 2 hours to get to tech support they simply ask you to send you more statistics. This isn't how you run a business, I'm taking mine elsewhere.

Why would you expand your customer base when you knew you didn't have the bandwidth to provide service? I can't even download youtube vids from 5pm on. I'm pissed off and angry and when I call the customer service they recommend I wait 2 hours to talk to Tech Support. Tech support recommends I keep them up to date on the shitty service they're providing and standby for the next few weeks while Rogers "upgrades" their service.

I experienced slowdowns with Rogers too, but they were apologetic, they comp'd me the months that I wasn't getting the advertised download rates. They sent out service techs to try and remedy the service. They didn't tell me to wait while i'm charged 50 bucks a month for dial up service. If you're in KW you should forego tek and just use an AOL 870 free hours cd-rom. You'll be glad you did.