TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by torontoitguy See Profile

• Location: M8Z0B8
Good "Decent order process. Installed on time"
Bad "Can not use service in the evenings"
Overall "Do not choose TekSavvy. Rogers will force them out"

Order to live went without a hitch...

The sales/Install coordination staff could use more training. The agent I initially called could not find the MAC of my modem in their system... She put me on hold for 5 minutes, and all seem to be fine with the modem/MAC.

Connection installed 29/9 at around 1pm. Decent speeds - 20M/1M (down/up). Then it went downhill in the evening...

I'm on the Scarlett POI.... in the evenings, the service is unusable (.9M/1). My fault, should have read these groups further before putting an order through.

Overall these issues are probably the fault is mostly Rogers'. However, doesn't seem like TekSavvy has a strong enough lobby or regulatory support to keep their customers happy.

Bottom line - Beg Rogers for a discount and stay with them. I will cancel my TekSavvy service after the initial month (prepaid as I bought the Canada Computes bundle).

So disappointed, we not refer my customers to TekSaavy (this was my attempt to test them out).

Comments:

Review by DaJackel See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High Caps"
Bad "3-4 Hour Customer Service Wait Times, Unusable Internet Speeds"
Overall "Stay far away from TekSavvy until they get their act together."

I was switching to TekSavvy from another TPIA and was informed that it would be an easy switch and I was told I'd have a technician scheduled for my install date and I'd receive a call with the exact time. The day before my internet was supposed to be activated I still hadn't received the call regarding my installation so I called TekSavvy myself. After waiting 80 minutes to get through to someone I was informed that I couldn't be activated as a switch and I'd have to instead be set up as a new account.

Wonderful. I complained and was told I'd get priority installation and it would be scheduled for 3 days from the call. 3 Days later I got a call saying they couldn't have an installer in at that time and it would be delayed another few days.

Fast forward a few more days and I did have my internet up and running. For 2 days.

After that my line was cut cold (it WAS marked as TPIA). I had to wait another 8 days to get a Rogers tech to come out and look at it. He came and did his business but I was still not able to connect. Spent another hour waiting to get a hold of TekSavvy and they said they'd put in another request to Rogers and would call me back. The next day I called TekSavvy and got someone else who did something magical that the other support rep could not do (apparently?) and my internet was finally working again.

Of course, that is if you call 300kb/s download speeds 'working'.

I was also promised a credit for my downtime but of course I never got that. When I received my bill from the accounting department and mentioned the credit they said they heard nothing about it.

Stay far away.

Comments:

Review by ssherwood See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely low pings (6ms to Gateway), Powerboost, excellent Canadian company"
Bad "Install coordination with Rogers is abysmal"
Overall "One of the best options in Toronto despite installation glitches"

=== Update September 28, 2011 ===

My connection continues to be pretty solid, but Teksavvy is experiencing some growing pains.

Still - they are proceeding in a much more honorable fashion than I've experienced from any other ISP in terms of trying to limit the poor experience as much as possible.

I give Teksavvy big points for issuing stop-sells across their most heavily saturated areas while waiting at times for SIX months for Rogers to act.

My speeds have been upgraded from 10Mbit, to 15Mbit and finally earlier this month to 24Mbit. That is a ton of improvement - oh and by the way, at no additional cost!

Thanks Teksavvy!

-- SS

=== Teksavvy Cable Internet Review – June 24, 2010 ===

Hi all,

I've really run pretty much the full gambit of Internet access providers in Canada.

I've had dialup
I've had DSL
I've had cable
I've had VDSL2

I've never before had the opportunity to experience Internet service via multiple connectivity options through a single provider. Enter Teksavvy.

Teksavvy - The Company

I've been a TSI DSL customer for quite some time. Here is my positive review of their DSL services :

»Review of TekSavvy DSL by ssherwood

I ordered the new cable service on May 20, and it was installed on June 21. As you see from the long delay between ordering and completion, I did hit a few fairly significant bumps in the road between ordering and going live. Suffice it to say that I experienced several instances of communication troubles, and what seemed like teething issues related to this very new offering for TSI in terms of the process interfacing with Rogers.

In a nutshell, TSI and Rogers are just beginning to sort out their relationship, and so naturally there are still some issues to be ironed out, like the complete lack of any kind of escalation procedure.

To TSI's credit, they have a wonderful group working on their behalf. Never once did anybody try to tell me that the problems I experienced were due to an error I made. I can honestly say that I've never been treated better by an ISP than these folks who were willing and able to accept the blame for a flawed system. I really appreciate a company who is 1) truthful, and 2) which knows that it isn't perfect, but strives to make things right. This is certainly different that the experiences I have had with the larger ISPs in Canada who tend to try to transfer the blame and responsibility for errors onto the customer, even when they are demonstrated to have originated elsewhere.

A company that strives to be honest and deliver the product that they sell without any smoke and mirrors… how refreshing!

Teksavvy – Internet Service and Installation

After a couple of miscued installation appointments, my service was installed on June 21. Upon the tech’s arrival he immediately got to work to reconnect the existing cabling from the Rogers demark to the line which originally fed my cable modem. He wasn’t even going to come upstairs until I asked him to at least come and double check that the levels were OK. (I thought he had to activate the modem somehow, turns out he just completed the work order in the truck and that took care of the modem coming online) The levels were checked at the modem end of the cable, and all looked great to him. Within about 10 minutes of the tech’s arrival, I was able to test out the connection successfully.

I ordered the “Teksavvy Extreme Cable” (10mbit/1mbit w/200gb) It immediately impressed as the speed was certainly just as fast as my previous experience with Rogers.

In fact, over the first few days that I’ve had the service, I can say that for me at least, it is better than when I was with Rogers. The ping times to my gateway are 6ms!! Fantastic! Plus, I see that my new TSI cable has “speed boost” which dramatically quickens the first few seconds of a download to approximately 30mbit/s! Cool!

I've noted no throttling of P2P, and am able to max out my line using things like multi-threaded HTTP and NNTP file transfers any time of the day.

Only time will tell if TSI’s cable offerings as a platform are as stable in terms of uptime and performance as their DSL products, but so far, I’m definitely pleased.

Conclusion

If you’ve made it this far, I’m hoping that you will conclude as I have that the service is definitely a good one. TSI’s customer service and technical support teams are really second to none, and at least so far, the product itself is exactly what I ordered.

I expect that TSI and Rogers will iron out the remaining glitches in the ordering system, but if you do experience any trouble, give TSI the chance and they will try their best to get it right.

-- SS

member for 12.7 years, 1932 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by TKWizard See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Extremely fast internet (In the mornings/afternoon), no caps."
Bad "SLOW IN THE EVENINGS"
Overall "Stay away from it if you're in the Dupont POI area, you WILL be ignored!"

I used to be a customer of Primus and they announced their UBB plan as predicted. So I quickly signed up for Teksavvy on the 31st of December over the phone and gave the necessary information and date of installation. I ordered the 15/1 Extreme Cable Pro package. All that was smooth.

The Modem (SB6120) came to the Post office on Friday January 7th, but it was picked up on Saturday Jan 8th, due to work.

On January 10th, the technician came 30 mins earlier than the scheduled install time (4:30pm) and drilled a hole in our house for the cable to be connected to the Demarc point and the modem upstairs.

After a few hours wait and a dumb mistake of putting in the wrong RJ-45 cable, the service was activated!

Ran a speed test and got a 24.17 Up (With speedboost) and 1 down as advertised. I also do not have the problems that some people have been getting on the Dupont POI where my house is located during peak times.

Tried to download a 14 Gig video, finished in almost 2 1/2 hours. WAY Better than the ultra slow take over 20 hrs to get it @ 320KB/sec..

So far I'm very happy with the service and I would recommend it to everyone!

-edit- September 28.

The Dupont POI has been ridiculously slow in the evenings for the last 1/3 of the year and Teksavvy completely ignores us. I have already put in a ticket into the Direct Forum and its being ignored there. Its like we do not exist.

Yesterday's result.

»/im/98883322/29814.png

My downstream is between 591000000 Hz and 615000000 Hz on four channels with a S2N ratio of 37-38dB.

Please stop dropping the ball Teksavvy.

Comments:

Review by joewahba See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "High cap limits"
Bad "1mb/s download during peak ours, 2 hour wait times for service.."
Overall "Much worse service than Rogers"

I've been a Teksavvy extreme cable (15/mbs) customer for a month and have decided to go back to Rogers. I've been getting 500kb downloading during 5pm-2am for the past couple of weeks. They put the stop sale on now, but they should have calculated the strain this customer base would put on their current bandwidth. I'm not impressed at all by their support, they haven't offered to reimburse customers for their error and after waiting 2 hours to get to tech support they simply ask you to send you more statistics. This isn't how you run a business, I'm taking mine elsewhere.

Why would you expand your customer base when you knew you didn't have the bandwidth to provide service? I can't even download youtube vids from 5pm on. I'm pissed off and angry and when I call the customer service they recommend I wait 2 hours to talk to Tech Support. Tech support recommends I keep them up to date on the shitty service they're providing and standby for the next few weeks while Rogers "upgrades" their service.

I experienced slowdowns with Rogers too, but they were apologetic, they comp'd me the months that I wasn't getting the advertised download rates. They sent out service techs to try and remedy the service. They didn't tell me to wait while i'm charged 50 bucks a month for dial up service. If you're in KW you should forego tek and just use an AOL 870 free hours cd-rom. You'll be glad you did.

Comments:

Review by JustinEss See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Speeds as advertised, very little noticable congestion"
Bad "None to date"
Overall "Excellent ISP if you're in a good region, no caps!"

Originally ordered DSL due to confusion as to which POI I was on and a Stop-Sell, however the stop-sell was removed a few days later, was very easy to get switched to Cable and no penalty incurred as the DSL hadn't been activated.

Connection has been rock solid since May, typically get between 20-24Mbit even during peak hours. No issues what so ever.
Best of all no caps of throttling.

Comments:

Review by Xeliax See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Not Bell, Not Rogers, Not Videotron"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds when you need your connection the most (evenings)"
Overall "Avoid until problems are resolved"

I was happy to leave Bell ADSL for TSI Cable but now I regret since I don't get my advertised speeds and can't stream online content... which is extremely important for me since I don't have cable TV or anything else.

No matter who provides the lines to TSI (Rogers, or Videotron in Quebec) if I understand this right, TSI rents volume from them. As much as I pay for the apartment I rent, if the apartment has a problem I can go against my landlord and get this fixed rapidly to get what I paid for. I don't know but if TSI signed an agreement with Rogers mentioning that they can't sue Rogers, then they, and we the customers, are in trouble... but I really don't know about this... just questioning myself.

Would it be also possible that Rogers wants to drive business away from TSI ? In any case, even though I'd like to stick with TSI for what they represent, this is business and we shouldn't have to pay for speeds as slow as 0.5 Mbps when we are paying for much higher speeds as per our agreement with TSI. And even though TSI used to represent a way out of Bell and Rogers (and Videotron in Quebec), if they don't have the power or means to make Rogers deliver what TSI pays for, then in no way I'll be sticking with TSI. And Bell/Rogers will win again unfortunately.

I'll give 4 more weeks to TSI to have the speed in the Montreal area fixed to what they should be, then I'm out. It will then have been 12 weeks that I will have waited... I believe that's fair enough for a small company I want to support as much as possible... but won't if they can't deliver.

I didn't give a high score for install co-ordination since on the 2 days that their provider was supposed to show up at my place, it didn't. Wasted my time. TSI should address with their providers since it seems I'm not the only one impacted by this.

My review is not really good, but I just hope it will kick TSI's behind in order to get it all together and start delivering as they used to. Please don't tell me to send a PM, I've addressed the situation with TSI through other means than this web site.

Comments:

Review by tazooo See Profile

Good "Bandwidth limits"
Bad "Speeds have been terrible for almost a month now and there doesn't seem to be a close fix"
Overall "Until this is fixed, do not join. I'm already considering switching providers."

I was waiting for Teksavvy to make it's way to my city and when it did, i was probably one of the first to signup with them. I called and waited for about 10-15 minutes and made my order very quick. The rep on the phone was nice and did a good job. We had a little miscommunication with the name but that was resolved pretty quick in the direct forums. That's one of the good things about this service. The direct forums and phone reps respond quickly and help out when they can.

My plan is the 10mbps/0.5mbps one with 300GB. So far i haven't been anywhere near that but it's good to be free to download what i want or watch what i what without the pathetic 60GB limit with Rogers. For less money and high caps, this decision worked great for me. The speeds are always a little higher than advertised when i tested them and the service has been reliable and consistent. The price difference between Rogers and Teksavvy (speed plans) wasn't too different since i had discounts with Rogers but the caps made a huge difference.

The only hiccup i had on day 1 was with Rogers randomly coming by and cutting my cable when i wasn't home. Fortunately the Rogers rep was a rep based out of my city so i gave them a call and they resolved it completely within a couple of days. I contacted Rogers the day before to make sure they didn't touch anything but of course that message didn't go through properly. This was more of a problem with Rogers but Teksavvy should work a little harder with them to get these small problems resolved.

Overall, i've been using Teksavvy for almost two months and it has been great. No problems other than the initial ones and i'm extremely happy with their service.

UPDATE: So it's been a few months but it seems like the grace time is over. Speeds have been way below average for the past month (around 2mbps most of the time with 5 MAX) and the lack of feedback from Teksavvy has been appalling. I'm definitely not impressed right now and i'm looking at switching providers if this doesn't change soon.

Comments:

Review by cyc66 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Fair price and generous monthly cap"
Bad "Beholden to Rogers and shortsighted bandwidth management"
Overall "Don't bother unless you need high speeds and unlimited monthly usage for overnight downloads"

Teksavvy is a company run by well meaning people who seem to be in over their collective heads. They constantly allow Rogers to get the better of them by oversubscribing their networks with the hopes that Rogers will provide the necessary upgrades before things get too bad. Unfortunately, things always seem to get quite bad. There has been congestion on the Kitchener-Waterloo service area for quite a few months although it wasn't horrible during the summer months when students are out of town. When the students returned the speed dropped to sub 1mbps instead of the 15mbps I signed up for or the 24mbps that Rogers updated all 15mbps customers to. (That's another thing, Rogers can upgrade packages without the permission of Teksavvy it seems.) Weekends are the worst, with sub 5mbps all day and sub 1mbps for most of Sunday.

I was also 'deprovisioned' somehow and was left without internet access for over 2 days. Teksavvy could only file a ticket with Rogers and apparently Rogers can wait 48 hours before looking at it. I am lucky as others have been without access for longer periods of time.

I should have stayed with Teksavvy DSL. It was a consistent 5mbps but slow and steady is better than what I have right now. I hope the magic upgrade occurs soon as I would much prefer >15mbps downstream.

member for 7.2 years, 632 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bassteban See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Good price for a service that is given for double the price by the company."
Bad "3rd party reseller that is at the mercy of anticompetitive practices from main company."
Overall "Good value once you get the service."

***This is a preamble to a full review once service is activated.***

Now I've used Videotron cable in Montreal and am still subscribed to the service until I see how good it is for same service under Teksavvy.

Ordered the service on Sept 9th 2011 (Qc Cable - D:8mbps U:1mbps B:50GB) to be activated on 20th of September (I was told by a friend to not set a date too close as it would be pushed back). Turns out I waited on the tentative date until the 20th WITHOUT news and when the day came, I called them up and they said the tech wasn't coming.

The evening after I called them, received an email letting me know I was going to be activated on the 7th of October, A MONTH after the order date. I called Videotron and they could get it done next week if I went with them. So there is my point that they are at the mercy of the main company.

My main disappointment in this is running an extra 2 weeks without internet at home and also the fact that I could've gotten a better price for my modem by ordering it somewhere else and for my router as well (better price or much better quality for the same price i.e. a modem capable of much higher speed would I decide to upgrade in the future).

So there you have it. I will post an update once my service is activated and thoroughly tested!

Thank you.