TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by newhand123 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Local company with real local staff...."
Bad "peak hour local node congestion is annoying"
Overall "company need growth bigger and stronger to stay in the market"

15/1 motorola 6120 modem package with reasonable price. Installation is smooth. Billing is clear without hidden charges.

Comments:

Review by deano3 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Decent Price"
Bad "Slows down at peak hours to a crawl!"
Overall "crappy now but hopefully gets better..."

Everything went smoothly overall but service crawls to a halt at peak hours. Should be getting 10 mbit but get around 1mb at peak hours...

Comments:

Review by xhk See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Everything?"
Bad "Nothing in particular"
Overall "Aww yeahh."

Had it since May 2011, no problems whatsoever. Ordered docsis3 modem from them to avoid any mac-address registering problems with Rogers. Had it delivered to local Canada Post branch. Rogers guy came (an hour early) only to add one cable and check the line stats. Everything worked the day it was supposed to.

I can't say I've seen speeds go above 15mb very often even after the upgrade to 24mb, but that could be because I'm having trouble finding things to fully utilize this speed.

One time internet stopped working for a bit, but it turned out to be a local hardware problem. Solved without getting Teksavvy involved.

Zero problems otherwise.

P.S.: Not entirely sure about the days from order to success. Wasn't very long though.

Comments:

Review by chaseme See Profile

• Location: Terrasse-Vaudreuil,QC
Good "Works well, faster than advertised (above cap)."
Bad "Install appointment was confusing, had 3 different days told to me (27th, 5th, 6th). Install was the 6th."
Overall "Works well"

I'm a Quebec customer so this doesn't apply to Ontario and the many issues happening there. Called the 20th of Sept, requested 5th of Oct for install. 5 days later I'm told install is the 27th of Sept. Called Videotron myself cause it's too hard to get Tek to fix issues like this (e-mailed them). Had Videotron change it to the 6th. Tek then said the 5th. Videotron tech came on the 6th.

Tech had a note in his work order saying DON'T TOUCH MODEM, DON'T CHANGE MODEM. So he refused to activate it, he left with the service not working. 2hrs later the service came up on it's own.

In the end my Tek provided SB6120 is working well on the 8/1 service. I see consistent 8.5/1 with SpeedTest across all of Canada.

Comments:

Review by gyp_sy See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "They're one of the few ISPs out there unwilling to let our country's Internet access sink to third-world standards."
Bad "Rogers = borderline anti-competitive. Delayed POI upgrades = congestion, signup-to-service times can be over a month!"
Overall "Unlike Bell, Rogers doesn't DPI, but be prepared for a long installation wait + the Rogers runaround."

·Bell Sympatico
Breakdown:

---Pre-sales info: 75%, I think it'd be a good idea to inform people wishing to sign up for higher-end plans to go with a DOCSIS 3 modem. EDIT: They've actually done this now =)

---Install co-ordination: 50%. TSI gets 100%, Rogers gets 0%, but as TSI has to work with them, it'll have to be an average.

---Connection reliability: 50%. No disconnects, POI congestion on Mississauga-Wolfedale apparently alleviated, but local node congestion is still an issue. I've done some of my own testing with a neighbour on Rogers and discovered Rogers strongly prioritizes their own traffic, leaving TSI with latency issues and slower speeds (8-12mbit) in the evening.

---Tech Support: 100%. Hands down the best I've ever experienced with an ISP, and *everyone* is Canadian.

---Services: 75%, they're not easy to get a hold of. Once you get some traction with them though, they do call back & look after you.

---Value for money: 50%. If your POI isn't too congested, your local node isn't too congested, and you're OK with higher latency, sporadic packet loss, and just under half the advertised speed every night, it's the best bang for the buck in the GTA, by a long shot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Nov 1, 2011: I have decided to switch over to Bell Fibe 25, with a 245GB cap. I've reduced the TSI package to the 3/256 as a backup for VoIP and all other essential stuff. The sporadic dropped packets and high/spiking latency values did it for me more than the reduced speeds every night (which, on an actually unlimited package, I can live with).

Oct 1, 2011: Friday and Saturday evening saw 10-12mbit - this is okay with me.

Sep 29, 2011: POI upgrade complete, speeds tonight were very good; 20mbit+. The real test will be this weekend.

Sep 26, 2011: This weekend, 3PM-3AM Fri, Sat, Sun: completely unusable. Youtube 240p unwatchable, could barely sustain 1Mbit. I'm strongly regretting not going DSL - for anyone wishing to go TekSavvy, this is the only route I could recommend at the moment.

Sep 21, 2011: I've been in talks with TSI Martin; the credits I received from TekSavvy over the entire ordeal exactly matched my expectations (not something I get to say often about a company), and they were beyond pleasant and accommodating in setting it all up. My advice for anyone experiencing issues like mine with TSI: don't give up on them and they won't give up on you.

I originally signed up with my own SB5100 modem - DOCSIS 2 - on the 15/1 unlimited package on Aug. 18, 2011. 7 days later, Aug. 25, 2011 (within the expected scheduling time), a Rogers technician showed up and physically installed a new line for my modem (I don't subscribe to cable TV). The modem entered Rogers' "walled garden" (a 10.69 IP and a page stating the modem had not been authorized on the Rogers network). I asked the tech about this: "when I close off on the install ticket, it'll be authorized and the modem'll get provisioned for TekSavvy". Sure enough, the modem got authorized... and then did not receive an IP. The logs: "DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received". The modem had not been provisioned.

The next two weeks were spent calling TekSavvy, waiting 24-48 hours per event for a response from Rogers as per the agreement TekSavvy has with them, repeatedly going through the same troubleshooting steps, all without tangible improvements. My signal levels were and remain well within acceptable parameters (40dB SNR and +8dBmV on downstream, ~43dBmV on upstream), the modem was kept online throughout the two weeks. Rogers claimed the modem was offline, claimed signal issues, stalled as much as possible, sent replies just before weekends for extra delays... absolutely horrible - and nothing new with Rogers. There are reasons I've moved all services I subscribe to away from that company across the years, and this is a big one.

Interesting to note: within this interval, TekSavvy cut 4/5s of the list of approved modems on their website, with most of the ones remaining being DOCSIS 3. They also added "Cable new connection – min 7 calendar days ahead, max 30 calendar days ahead" - this replaced the "5-7 business days" present when I signed up.

After two weeks and endless responses of "we've escalated" and "management is involved", Rogers' solution was... to send another tech to my home! The guy spoke very poor english, and was completely uninterested in signal levels, modem logs, or any relevant information. After one glance at the modem lights and seeing the Online light of the SB5100 blinking, he concluded "modem is faulty". Of course the Online light is blinking, the modem isn't getting any DHCP packet from the Rogers side! He was unwilling to accept or even consider any other alternative, and quickly left the premises with "modem is defective" as parting words. Unacceptable, unprofessional, Rogers.

With three weeks of no service approaching, TekSavvy shipped me a DCM475 DOCSIS 3 modem a day or two after this event. The modem was not authorized/provisioned when I plugged it in. I was to find out this was because of an oversight on TekSavvy's part; one I was not too mad about, as a discussion with one of their more experienced tech support guys (hi Chris) ensured Rogers received all the information needed: the modem was provisioned in less than 24 hours, an absolute record for Rogers! I now had service, on September 16, 2011 - just short of a month after placing the initial order.

Conclusions/observations: It is my belief that Rogers will roadblock or severely delay any DOCSIS 2 modem signups on fast plans. DOCSIS 2 bonds to a single downstream channel, whereas DOCSIS 3 bonds up to 8 (Rogers currently offers 4). As I understand it, a DOCSIS 2 downstream channel can handle up to 38Mbit: two TekSavvy/TPIA users torrenting on 15Mbit plans and DOCSIS 2 modems + a couple of regular Rogers customers streaming video is enough to take out the entire neighbourhood node for DOCSIS 2 users. It's not difficult to see why they would try to prevent this. I don't know whether signing up with a DOCSIS 3 modem would've resulted in a quicker set-up time, but I am inclined to believe so. The manager I was in talks with on the TekSavvy side throughout the latter part of this ordeal admitted to modem swaps commonly solving problems with Rogers, and strongly sided with me on my SB5100 not being defective.

One thing to note: TekSavvy POIs within the Rogers network are severely congested. I am on Mississauga-Wolfedale; last night (September 18, 2011) I was unable to stream even 480p content or pass 4mbit on a single connection thread. Even access to TorIX displayed the same behaviour, and I was able to hit 21-22Mbit if I used something multithreaded (eg. 10 concurrent FTP transfers). This is all consistent with congestion at the POI level. It's a known issue, and it was supposed to be resolved a week ago (other POIs are experiencing the same, if not worse). In my opinion this displays poor capacity planning on TekSavvy's part: considering they're a (if not the only) sane choice for ISPs in Canada, considering Canadians are switching to them in droves, and considering Rogers is known to stall/delay and display borderline anti-competitive behaviour, they should've had these upgrades in much earlier. They got hit with both the back-to-school signups *and* Rogers conveniently upgrading their packages to higher speeds - the forums are chock-full of complaints. It's of course a matter of time, but just something to be aware of. Once they fix it, I'll probably come back and up the numbers on 'service' and 'connection reliability' - tonight (Monday Sep 19, 2011) I'm seeing just over 2mbit on single threads..

In short: TekSavvy as a company is great. Their outbound peering is good, their technicians are good (once you get a hold of them), their plans are fantastic and decently priced, and they do stay true to their promises (I've always received callbacks, never had to hound them for anything). However, be prepared for serious delays and severely obstructionist behaviour from Rogers whenever their response or service is needed. This is what happens when all residential distribution lines are privately owned: welcome to Corporate Canada.

Comments:

Review by evil_gusgus See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Faster Speeds, Lower Ping, Speedboost, 300BG Cap"
Bad "Having to deal with Rogers"
Overall "If you can get cable instead of dsl, make the switch."

I switched over from TSI DSL the day cable was launched here due to issues with bells equipment. 1.8/Mbps is way better then the 515/Kbps with dsl. Routing seems to be faster then bells back to 151 front. The first rogers tech seemed like a bit of an ass from the beginning, he cut one of the cable lines to my tv for no reason, failed to replace the cable line coming to my house and left in a rush. About 5min after he left my modem lost signal and I didnt have cable internet working for about a week. Thankfully I kept my dsl active for this reason. When the second tech came out, he tested the line and said that this was completely unacceptable. It was old copper braided coax for analog tv. He ended up replacing and running a new line from the cable box in the neighbours yard, all the way to the modem with RG-6. Once he got it working, its only lost signal once in the two or so months since I've had it.

UPDATE: I've had to deal with slowdown, multiple day outages, and still have no ETA on upgrades so my rating has been updated.

Comments:

Review by Zennith See Profile

• Location: Toronto
Good "Not Rogers"
Bad "Unstable speeds, downtime, bad speeds ...expensive ...bad speeds"
Overall "Its not Rogers ...?!!!!"

Teksavvy is awesome, if you can think of something you want out of an ISP Teksavvy will deliver. Unless they are restricted of course. I have no complaints about them.

The only reason I have this a lower rating for Install Co-ordination was because Rogers failed to show up. Fully 100% Rogers fault. Teksavvy was nice enough to call me and let me know they were not going to show, Rogers was not so nice to inform me.

Honestly, why wouldn't you be with teksavvy? Why pay Rogers for half the service twice the price?

UPDATE: It has almost been a year, and I've experienced a few issues here and there with being disconnected. I did at one point go a few days without internet because there was an issue where they ran out of IP addresses. This was annoying say the least and it took awhile for me to actually get in contact with support. However the problem was resolved later.

Also I often get very very very slow speeds, I would say I get around 2mb/s connection speed. I play online games and I would say 40% of the time I experience really bad lag and find it hard to play online.

Overall Teksavvy isn't so bad, but I've had a bad experience, I would like to see why my connection is so bad and people I know in my area or in other areas that have Teksavvy have no issues. From what I've been told I'm on the Dupont POI and it has issues, which if this is true I'm disappointed that I'm one of the affected customers by this.

UPDATE #2: Just over a year and I have to say the service just gets worse and worse. I've now downgraded my service to the 12M one, as I never got past 10mb/s on speed tests. I've had horrible speeds, and lots of bursts. While playing games sometimes I'd have very bad lag, other times it was fine. Overall I didn't feel it was worth paying more for getting less. Even after changing services I stll get HORRIBLE speeds, past few days I've been doing speed tests and average about a 5M connection sometimes it goes up to 8 but thats not enough.

UPDATE: I've edited the ratings to reflect overall, recently it takes a week for teksupport to reply, and the few times I tried to call I was on hold too long and gave up. The connection is horrible, and its not very reliable at these speeds and the fact they had so many problems with the dupont POI which I was on. Also at these prices we should be getting way better internet, it sucks Canada is 10 years behind.

Comments:

Review by Evil_Homer See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Great speed, no caps"
Bad "A little expensive"
Overall "Depends on your area"

Teksavvy had some really good press when they came out, expanded a little too much and are generally getting some rather poor press now because of it.

I guess this is just a regional thing and areas like Markham & Vaughan are having the most trouble. Good thing I'm not anywhere close to either area because my speed is great.

Setup was rather painless, and was done within a week.

Paid for 25Mbps and that is what I'm getting.

Comments:

Review by thanos750 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Better Caps"
Bad "Unusable speeds after 7pm"
Overall "Paid for 24/1 got 1/1"

Modem delivered on time. Installation was fine. Speeds are terrible. They blame Rogers but unfortunately I'm not paying Rogers I'm paying Teksavvy. Had to go back to the competitor for same price of 24/1 just a lower cap. Consider joining when they fix their POI issues which have been going on now for literally months. I gave them 2 months to get this in order to no avail. They completely acknowledge the issues and are very upfront and apologetic about it but just try asking for some type of refund...oh no no no...just like everyone they hide behind some clause about 'up to speeds'.

So long.

Comments:

Review by iMPLiCiT4 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Fast during off peak hours"
Bad "1 mbps download at night time (most important time)"
Overall "DO NOT GO WITH TEKSAVVY TILL THEY GET THEIR ISSUES SORTED OUT."

Missed original installation call and had to wait another week or so extra to get it installed...

Fast during the day, slow as hell (.5 - 3 mbps) after about 4 PM. Extremely disappointed. Will be cancelling if it stays like this. Not the only person in Guelph to have these issues either, so its not an isolated incident.