TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by mryates See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Connection as soon as the tech hooked up the modem"
Bad "First installation date failed due to a mix-up with my address, even after the tech called me and I told him the proper address"
Overall "Cancelled service, modem lost provisioning and no sign of it coming up anytime soon"

Ordered May 17.

Received confirmation on May 20th that install is scheduled for May 26th between 5-8pm.

Modem showed up a couple days later.

May 26th - Driving home at 5:30pm I drive past a communications truck and a few seconds later I get a call on my cell phone from the installation tech. He advised me that he was at such and such an address to install cable internet. I told him that was the wrong address and advised him of the correct address. He said he needed to call his dispatch and would call me back.

The tech calls me back 20 minutes later to tell me that he wouldn't be able to do the install and I should contact my provider to have the address corrected.

I first check my confirmation email to ensure I had entered the correct address which it was. I called Teksavvy and confirmed that they had submitted the correct address, which they said they had. They sent an email to Rogers to make sure the address was corrected and to reschedule.

I called back a few hours later and the support tech said he would "escalate" the issue through Rogers and I should hear back from them in 24-48 hours. I opened a Teksavvy Direct topic the next day to find out if anything had happened. They advised that Rogers has limited support in their escalations department on the weekend. I posted in the topic again on Sunday morning and they tell me the same thing. Finally on Monday I received an email stating that June 3rd would be the next install date between 5-8pm. Apparently this was the earliest they could get.

June 3rd the tech shows up at 6pm. Does some stuff outside with the cable box on my front lawn. Then comes to the door. I take him to the garage to show where the cable comes in, show him the holes I've drilled through the studs, through the wall into the basement, and then through the basement ceiling into the utility closet where I had the modem mounted. I helped him pull the wire through and he did the termination in the garage and at the modem. After a couple of minutes all the modem lights starting lighting up and it appear to have a good connection. The tech then left (His responsibility is only to make the connection, if the modem lights up great, if not then I guess my only recourse would have been to call Teksavvy, but he seemed light a decent person that he might have tried to trouble shoot and make sure his connection was adequate). and I plugged a computer directly into the modem and had internet. Speedtest showed 35 mbps down, .99 up, 15 ms ping, 2 ms jitter, 0% packet loss. Hooked everything up to my router and changed to settings to accommodate DHCP instead of PPPoE. So far everything seems good. Internet works fine, speed is as advertised, VOIP phones, Asterisk Server, Video and Audio streaming all work as they should. Almost 24 hours now. If anything changes I'll update this review, but so far I am happy with the service in the end.

I was a little disappointed that they install was delayed a week because of (rogers) apparent mistake with my address. I am glad I didn't schedule to cancel my Teksavvy DSL. I am going to keep it for a least a month to make sure everything is good with the cable.

UPDATE: AUGUST 22/2010

Well, 1 week ago today I lost my internet. Called Teksavvy around 5pm after doing some troubleshooting on my item. My IP was 10.???.???.?? and they said my modem had been deprovisioned. They entered a ticket with Rogers. Advised that rogers has 24 hours to respond. After approx 24 hours (Tuesday about 4pm) I called Teksavvy from work (no phone at home with Voip phone service!). On hold for 15 minutes left a message to be called back. Left work to go home. 7pm called again. On hold for 20 minutes. Left number for call back in my priority queue. 9pm passes with no call back so I call Teksavvy once again. On hold for about 20-30 minutes. Left my number again to be called back. Get off phone and see that they tried to call at 9:20pm (almost 2 1/2 hours after I left my number for call back!). Go to bed around 12am. Wake up and see they called at 1:30am. Call back at 6:40 on hold for 20 minutes before I get a hold of someone. He said that Rogers has 24-48 hours to respond. Wednesday called at 5pm and left my number for call back. 2 hours past and I called Rogers and signed up with them. They installed Thursday afternoon. Teksavvy called back 8pm Wednesday (3 hours after I left my callback number!!) and I cancelled my service. See ya. I'm done taking chances on the little guy. Get your stuff worked on then maybe in a few years I'll give it another shot. Sure I'm paying more, but my phone works, the wife is happy, and I'm not racking up cell phone charges to the tune of $0.25 a minute waiting on hold.

Comments:

Review by Nemo888 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rogers with NO THROTTLING or 50$+ overage charge every month."
Bad "If you eat a monopolists lunch they may try to destroy you/"
Overall "Great value, the owner fights monopolists and cares about his customers."

Great speed. No throttling. Great price. I don't have to deal with Rogers. Went from 109$ a month to 47 with faster, more reliable internet.

Comments:

Review by resa1983 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "Rogers likes to screw with Teksavvy"
Overall "Definitely worth it"

Feb 14 2011: Called and cancelled my Rogers (stupid 30 days!)
Mar 14 2011: Plugged in my new modem, and it worked right off the bat.

Unfortunately, my internet connection was slow during prime time due to Rogers' incompetence in not being able to do upgrades (and not wanting to contact the vendor for assistance when they couldn't figure it out!), however by May they finally contacted the vendor, and within a week things were finally fixed.

Another issue popped up in June where Rogers 'forgot' to upgrade some routers, so they were maxing out - was remedied fairly quickly once Teksavvy could prove it wasn't their problem, but was a Rogers issue.

Teksavvy service is awesome. Its just sad that they have no choice but to let Rogers screw with them and their business.

I'm paying less for better service, a faster connection, and better caps. Whats not to love.

member for 6.3 years, 1741 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by whitehorn See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Best customer service"

Best customer service

Comments:

Review by muqmeqe See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
Good "x2 speed and 5x the Gigs for the same price as Shaw"
Bad "Quality of customer service by phone patchy - Use Teksavvy direct forum"
Overall "If they stay on top of speed issues as they expand, great alternative"

Aug 2011 update - stability has been good. Thanks TSI

Briefly, here's the timeline for my installation:

March 21
- Called Teksavvy to sign up. They said to call Shaw and get a cancellation date

- Called Shaw can got a 10 biz day cancellation date since I owned the modem (April 4th)

- Called Teksavvy and provided cancellation date. I had a Motorola SB5101, but TekSavvy says Shaw is only allowing Teksavvy to provision Motorola SB5102s. Order one from Teksavvy for $75, figuring it will pay itself off in 5 months. Rep says I should receive an order confirmation email in the next few days, and then another notice 48 hours before the transfer. They say no Shaw tech need be on site.

March 24
- Received email confirming order. There was an error, saying I wasn't keeping Shaw TV, which I was. Called to call centre, and they said they would update the order and notify Shaw, and that a tech would need to be sent out to install a filter. (NOTE: This turned out not to be true.)

March 27
- Received and email saying new Motorola SB 5102 modem was shipped on the 25th via Canada Post - tracking number included.

March 29
- Modem arrived.

April 3
- Should have received the 48hr notice of installation yesterday, so I call customer service. Confirm install for tomorrow, no explanation as to why no notice. Also say that a Shaw tech will NOT be required on site. Simply wait for the Shaw modem to wink out, then swap with Teksavvy modem.

April 4
- Shaw modem does not go down so at 2200hrs I switched to Teksavvy modem, and it works. INSTALL COMPLETE.

- Run speed tests on Shaw "High Speed" service before switching and get 8.5Mbps/490kbps to San Fran and L.A. before switching. After switch to "Teksavvy Pro", re-run tests and get 1Mpbs/1Mbps. Yikes! Call Customer Service and they say that there might be an issue with Metro Vancouver customers, especially in the evening. Would have been nice to know at order time. No ETA to resolution. Understand this all part of know issue described here:

»[Cable] Ethernet Card upgrade in Vancouver?

Will update this review once I see what the speed is after the GigE card upgrade.

Other items of note:
-I signed up for the $5 domain hosting package, and I feel like I'm the first customer ever provisioned. Still a week an not all issues resolved (DNS working, webmail setup, multiple login sessions allowed, SMTP settings). Will post a separate forum note, as this is offered by Teksavvy business solutions and was independent of my cable internet.

--UPDATE April 14
GigE card installed for Metro Vancouver and speeds both ways are as they should be. Hope Teksavvy can stay ahead of the curve. Hosting issues resolved as well.

Comments:

Review by chaoticessence

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "High quality service (both product and customer service)"
Bad "Being a wholesale provider can mean switching can be a hassle"
Overall "Great product, great price... Overall - recommend!"

Switched from Rogers Cable to Tek. Transfer went smoothly, and, after switching, costs went down from around 70-80 (with overage charges) with Rogers, to about 41 after tax with Tek... for the same speed and a better gig cap!

Also, despite the many horror stories, I've had an extremely favourable experience switching: customer service rep was both thorough and extremely helpful - and required no escalation or transfer to an "activation specialist", the modem was shipped as promised, service started exactly as described, and there has since been no issues with either Rogers cutting the line (as per many a forum pust), nor any unannounced Tek issues. Overall, I'd strongly recommend them, for just about any type of user!

(review was emailed from domain hotmail.com)

Comments:

Review by motoraway See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Service works as advertised. Connection up time is good."
Bad "Customer service cannot complete changes of service correctly."
Overall "Service is good and works, as long as you're not making a change."

Our household has been a customer of Teksavvy for 3 years now. We've watched Teksavvy grow into what it is today.

Our original switch from Sympatico DSL service to Teksavvy was painless and simple. We placed the order and the connection switch happened while at work without us noticing. We switched to the MLPPP product once available without any issue at all. No calls to support as our connection always worked and if it was down, it would only be moments.

The problems with have encountered with Teksavvy have been both times we've had change in services. The first time we changed home phone companies, which we notified Teksavvy of a month in advance, what after several calls was our DSL disconnected 5 days early and being without internet access for 10+ days. We were offered a pro-rated discount for all the troubles, but it was never applied. Our second issue arrived recently when we notified Teksavvy 27 days in advance that we would be moving and switching from our DSL at our current location to cable when we moved into our new home a month later. I called them to inform them they were shipping our modem to our new home, not our current address. They corrected the information, however they didnt correct the problem as it was sent to our new address, which we can't access. Tech supports options will leave us without a new modem at our new location for over a week. I will be attempting to correct the situation with a manager and will update this review accordingly.

Overall the service is good as long as you don't have to make any changes to your service.

Comments:

Review by fahim See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Great speed; no more aDSL!"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "I've been with TSI for DSL, and they're simply great. If you're in a DSL-crippled neighborhood, TSI cable is your salvation :P"

According to Bell, I'm only capable of 2M aDSL service in my neighborhood.

Which is odd considering I've been on a 5M profile since 2007 (first with a TSI reseller, and then TSI directly) where I usually got ~4,2Mbps down.

Anyways, I figured why not switch to cable and get faster speeds, no throttling (at the moment) for about the same price.

- Ordered the Express package on July 28, 2011
- Received DCM475 modem on August 3, 2001 (mind you it was a long weekend; plus had to pick up modem in-person from the post office)
- Service activated August 6, 2011 (where the Rogers guy showed up early on a Saturday morning)

Cheers!

Comments:

Review by Syntekka See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Actual speeds very close to advertised speed, easy all-online signup/activation, seamless transfer from existing cable provider"
Bad "None so far."
Overall "No caps, great speeds, easy ordering and activation!"

Our seamless activation of TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (15 down/1 up, with no downloading cap) didn't require even one call to Teksavvy at any time. We signed up online at their website, and got various notification emails they sent over the course of the several days before activation. One of the later emails requires you to click to confirm the activation date, so make sure you do read the notes.

Leading up to our switch, we gave our existing provider (Rogers) the requisite 30 days notice, and clearly stated to them that although we were canceling, we were switching to TekSavvy cable, not cutting off cable internet service completely on that day! We had them note these specifics in their file.

We then submitted our online application to TekSavvy 14 days in advance of our desired activation date. I'm glad I didn't leave a shorter window before signing up online with TekSavvy, or else the desired activation date might not have been available to choose in their online system.

Our cable modem (DCM475) arrived in the mail about a week before service was to start.

The Rogers termination date and Teksavvy activation date were set to be the same day, 8am-11am. Around 8:10am the Rogers internet service stopped working, and shortly after that the Rogers truck showed up. The technician checked things out inside and outside the house, and said the cable internet signal was coming through fine and we were all set.

We hooked up the new cable modem and booted up the computer and weren't getting a working internet connection. The Rogers tech suggested that if we still couldn't connect for another half hour after he left to call TekSavvy. Since I'm familiar with troubleshooting (fixing loose cables and rebooting several times usually solves things) I soon noticed the ethernet connector cable to our PC wasn't pushed all the way into our new TekSavvy cable modem, so pushed it in until we heard a click. After we did a few spread-out power offs/reboots of the cable modem and then the router, all was well and the TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro service began working perfectly!

On the day of activation, our speedtest result was: 14.3m/987 over wi-fi using my laptop, which is extremely close to the advertised maximum speed.

I suggest you do your online application with TekSavvy 14 days in advance to ensure you can select the day/time you desire, even though their website says 7 business days currently. 14 days should ensure you'll get the activation day/time you want like we did.

Best of all was never having to even once call TekSavvy for technical support during the entire process. I love it when things are seamless like that.

I will update this review in a month once we see how stable the service is. So far I have zero complaints, and it's great to have slightly faster service and no download cap now. Plus, I enjoy supporting an "indie" ISP with Canadian customer service staff (not that we've needed them...).

Comments:

Review by Zed071 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Easy install and runs faster than a scalded dog."
Bad "Still has to use Robbers Cable for the last mile."
Overall "As good as it gets as a new install with and indy ISP"

What can I say?

It does what it says on the tin (website). Fast and cheap with a cap I'll never hit.

I think going as a new install with no other services from Robbers probably made mine a lot easier than converting from existing cable as Robbers does not want to give up its customers easily.

If you have a need for speed and can do it as a new install, it's cheap and cheerful.

IMHO, there's no better value for the money in this area.

member for 3.8 years, 1198 visits, last login: a few hours ago