TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by CID128292 See Profile

• Install: about -1 days
Good ""Good" is not the synonym of the word "TekSavvy""
Bad ""Bad" = incorrect information of technical support (lies in other words)"
Overall "my 170$ of service activation = no internet service at all (zero) provided by the company"

CID128292

The only good thing was with teksavvy's services is a lady on the phone that sounds really nice when you could get hold of her today at 5 pm. After this time company literally dies. What can I say 24/7 support when I am calling right now from 730pm to 930pm non stop for on a connection that sadly is not mine, but rogers that lags every 3seconds through skype, because guess what... I have spend all my money on my cell phone calling you first 30 minutes, taking a note from that lovely lady speaking with me today at 5pm that stated "...it is easier to get hold of us at the evening or at night...". Hopefully she wasn't talking at the same time with someone else.

Next, before going home from work at the same 5pm I got transferred by that lady to the tech support and tech guy with a good voice was talking to me as supposed to a customer.. But...

First of all, activation date was yesterday 9/13/2011 and I took a day off from work in order to be here (at home) and wait for tech support. You should have a certain time when you would come to my place or call me on the phone but I have never received a phone call on the same date when I should of get an activation. And your certain time is somewhere between 8am and 5pm which is absurd obviously.

No one came. (Dot) Perfect... But today (9/14/2011) I am receiving a text message on my phone stating that service was actually activated. Just this moment I thought I am a happy customer again and that is a time when I called tech support and they began to explain to me that they actually activated it outside of a house and everything I need to do is to plug in my modem to my computer and to a phone line.

+ They said that modem is already configured and BOLD[ guy was sure about that ]!!! At the same time when I was talking to tech support I was looking at this page: »www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp. While being on the phone I was also making a research just to be sure what he is talking about. So he stated that he did set up Routed Mode that appears he obviously didn't when I came back from work to test it. Also again he stated surely that internet connection on my address is activated and I just need to connect all in all...

Outcome:
-i took a day off from work, no sign of a person near the door
-i tried everything in teksavvy's support page (»www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp), nothing worked
-through the same page I set up myself routed mode for modem doing teksavvy's work (it appears I have nothing else to do)
-yes I have windows 7 and yes I changed that file permission and renamed it and copied required one
-so i looked in documentation and checked all rooms of a house for internet connection, only Power indicator works
-i spent 2 hours calling you for support... nothing... no response... (value = null)
-in total for two days i spent 6 hours trying to fix a problem myself for which I paid in total 170$ for the second day and stayed home for no reason first one

I must say that support (person that talks on the phone) is a face of a company especially in your case. Giving incorect information to customers and lying to them would never make a good business to you and to your customers in the long run.

This is disrespect to me and my time in the first place.

Concussion:
1. I would really appreciate to have day and my 6 (now 7 hours) back. But, well, sad fact is that it would probably never happen.
2. I would also appreciate to solve my problem till Saturday this week, because we are all people and I have a family that waits for my in skype every weekend.
3. I would want a refund of your services you provided if 2nd point fails

Comments:

Review by KKaWing See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Unlimited bandwith, readily available support staff."
Bad "Needs better coordination with last-mile provider (Rogers for me)."
Overall "Decently fast 15/1 service with no bandwidth caps... WIN!!!"

Ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (10mbps/1mbps)

Took 29 days to connect from date of order due to Rogers 30 days cancellation requirement.

Teksavvy called to confirm due to my address used as a basement rental, creating multiple address in Rogers database.

Rogers tried to plant FUD to convince us to switch all our telephone lines to their digital service, even though we require an analogue line, by saying they cannot complete the transfer if the account has one analogue and one digital phone line with them.

Prime time speeds hover between 7-8 mbps down 1 mbps up. Considering it is one of the *really* few uncapped services around, I don't mind.

The need to buy our own modem and pay an activation fee along with the first month's service = to around $150 CAD. Looks bad, until you compare it with my Rogers bill for $69.99 25 mbps service + the $50 overage charge per month.

Overall, no more worrying about going over the bandwidth cap if I order a game from Steam and stream TV from globaltv.com, history.ca, and the discovery.ca networks.

Update: Been a while since they switched me over to 15/1, 24/1 is rumored to be active soon as well but I'm still on the 5101N, so no upgrade for me. Overall stable connection. There is congestion and slow speeds in the evening but upgrades meant the speeds go back to advertised after the upgrades are in place. Never needed to call in, so can't comment on that but direct forums still great when I needed it (rarely).

member for 7.3 years, 1992 visits, last login: 22 days ago

Comments:

Review by Xec See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "24/1 300GB Cap for $48.53 w/ tax"
Bad "Startup Cost!"
Overall "Well Price + Speed + Cap = Sweet"

1/16/2011
Update:

Speeds on the McNicoll POI are back to normal after the upgrade from a 500 mb link to a 1 gb one.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1114594601.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/32399973.png

12/13/2010
Update:

Things keep getting worse for McNicoll POI....

»www.speedtest.net/result/1068422023.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/30128329.png

Note: the Ping test Result Seems to of lasted less than 30secs as I'm all good now weird..

»www.pingtest.net/result/30129141.png

12/07/2010
Update:
Experiencing loss, high jitter, increased pings, and 6-12Mbit inconsistent speeds during peak hours (6-10pm) at the McNicoll POI.

»www.pingtest.net/result/29730013.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/29730483.png

11/28/2010
Update:

Speed Boost Added to McNicoll POI I wonder if TekSavvy can handle it...

»www.speedtest.net/result/1048244000.png

11/02/2010
Update:

Swapped the SB5101N (DOCSIS 2.0) modem for the SB6120 (DOCSIS 3.0) for a little more "future proof". Also Noticing that the speed seems to be always 15Mbs on the SB6120 where as on the SB5101N it would fluctuate between 11-15Mbs during peek hours.

Both the Speed & Ping Tests show that everything is running good.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1014878192.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/27298155.png

10/21/2010
Update:

Tech showed up at 8.00am sharp ^_^. Installed a splitter to split the cable between the Modem/TV. Finished in 10mins. I guess it does pay to book the early appointment; ended up missing no work.

Some Tests as of 5:30pm

Speed:
Great Speed seeing the full 15/1.
»www.speedtest.net/result/999574567.png

Ping:
Nice sub 20 ping.
»www.pingtest.net/result/26514528.png

Pure Speed:
3 mins downloading at 1.8MB/s from MS no power boost just sweet pure raw speed.
XP SP3 was one of the biggest files I found there. I just needed something that could handle this speed for about a few mins.
»img257.imageshack.us/img257/9677···ure1.png

Trace Route:
Connecting through the formerly controversial McNicoll POI; all is well there.
»img684.imageshack.us/img684/7596···oute.png

So all is great from the get-go, hopefully it stays this way for a while; I believe it would considering Teksavvy was fast to upgrade the Overloaded POI's.

Adjusted points to reflect service as of now.

-------------------------------

10/20/2010
Update:

Well the modem shipped in 2 days arriving on the 14th; checked the mailbox to find the ticket and picked it up today. Great shipping, no damaged items with all cables included (Ethernet, Power, Cat6).

Everything is hooked up and all the lights are green, just waiting for the tech to show up tomorrow to activate my service.

-------------------------------

10/12/2010

Well I called Up Teksavvy and ordered the cable Extreme 15/1 200GB Plan.

My startup cost is about $172. o_O
It's a nasty number but when broken down it's pretty much acceptable.

$75.00 Modem
$24.95 Activation Fee
$42.95 First Monthly Advance Payment
$16.05 HST Tax
$10.00 Shipping

Modem Shipment is expected in 2-4 business days. Rogers technician is expect to arrive on the 21 at the earliest. I've heard about horribly late modem and technician arrival stories; hopefully I'll have a good experience through it all.

Ps. Since I already payed for this month's DSL bill I'll have it at my disposal for the next 26 days after which it will be disconnected. Also Since I'm not hooked up yet I've given the 3/5 for both install and connection since I can't judge that now.

member for 9.4 years, 2060 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Very fast, works great!"
Bad "None yet, will udpate in future"
Overall "Better price, sensible caps (or unlimited), what are you waiting for?"

·TekSavvy DSL
[1 day review]
Went live yesterday morning. The Rogers service was still working at 8am, but decided to plug in the SB6120 and try it. It worked right away without issues. Instantly noticed the significantly faster speeds (was on Express 10/0.5 previously)

Speed tests last night were hovering around 23Mbps, and sustained download speeds were hovering around 2.8-3.0 MB/s. So it seems I'm on the new 24Mbps profile, which is a nice surprise!

So far I've downloaded 10GB in queued up Steam and PSN games, completely guilt free. It's a wonderful feeling being able to use the internet without constantly worrying about the usage caps.

More updates to come!

Comments:

Review by technocar2 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, no throttling, low ping, large cap, excellent price ... what more do you want!"
Bad "none so far....I hope it stays that way"
Overall "Just all round awesome ISP that provides great service."

I signed up for the Extreme Cable and the order/installation was perfect. Tech showed up early morning on installation date; I showed him my modem's signal and he went into his truck and provisioned my modem and I was up and running. All this was done under 10 mins and he was on his way to the next work order.

I get very nice speeds, even during peak hours, I can max out my connection on torrents both up and down.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1333092399.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Sure 15 mbps can't compete with Robbers 50 mbps but lets not forget Robbers really low caps and excessive throttling. So I'm happy with 15mbps with high cap and no throttling.

I will probably get their unlimited tier as I'm already at 210 GB and I still have two weeks to go on my current billing cycle.

As for Pre Sales information, I feel Teksavvy needs to be more clear on how prepaid billing works as I needed some clarifications in that regard. I contacted them through direct forum and they told me everything I needed to know. Also I'm using a normal SB5101 and when I was ordering online it gave me the option of both the SB5101 and SB5101N but on your supported modem page you only listed SB5101N. So if you know that normal SB5101 works why not list that as well!

Update:
I now have a SB6120 and have gotten the 24 mbps upgrade before many other TSI users, yes I'm a guinea pig

»speedtest.net/result/1460931489.png

»speedtest.net/result/1464968562.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

member for 5.4 years, 1485 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fillet1970 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Friendly, informative pre-sales, good service pacakage selection/prices"
Bad "First contact resolution is unsatisfactory - knowledgebase is weak with policy updates; does not take ownership of issues"
Overall "Good prices and service at the expense of sacrificing quality of customer service..."

The sales person I spoke with last month was exceptional. She was friendly, thorough with pre-sales information, aware of the current Teksavvy/Canada Computers promotion and identified it for me to take advantage of. I was sold! She confirmed my postal code service availability and made the sign-up process seem to be very simple & the cut-over from Rogers to be seamless....all I had to do was was call 7 days in advance prior to the cancellation of my existing cable internet provider. The information she provided was consistent with the website.

Moving forward to last night, the experience was different. The wait time was over an hour (from 10PM to 11PM). I am not sure why it took so long....I did mention to the agent about the long wait time but I didn't get a "simple" apology or explanation. I'm assuming that the Salem POI outage may have contributed to slow service but the agent made no mention of it. When she identified that they were not accepting new customers in my area I became quite agitated and I think it was quite obvious to her. I pointed out to her that I purchased the internet package from Canada Computers and had a high dependency for internet (VOIP, entertainment and VPN for work) she had nothing to add or offered alternative solutions.

In the end I escalated the call to a Supervisor who listened to my complaint, evaluated my concerns and provided answers to my questions. I don't know if the agent had the skills-base to deal with negative sales call, but if she was not capable of evaluating my concerns she should have escalated my call so that the sale would not be lost.

Take note, the activation timeline for Cable service (based on the supervisor's response) is from 12 days, not the 7 days as stated on the website. I've attempted to readdress the conflicting information with a rep this morning....she didn't want to take accountability of addressing the website error...let's see how long it will take the Webmaster to update the page.

[Update] Activation timelines have been updated with more details (cable new connection and transfer.

Comments:

Review by kuddles See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service; Reliable speed; Great Price"
Bad "Hefty initial investment may be a turn-off"
Overall "Best decision I ever made, wish I had done it sooner."

I had originally planned on switching to TekSavvy DSL the last time I moved, it turned out my new residence couldn't accept DSL in general. I had been using Rogers ever since then. While I didn't have any major issues with Rogers (unlike the numerous problems with Bell), the low caps and punitive fees for exceeding them were growing tiresome. When TekSavvy Cable became available in my area, I immediately decided to give it a try.

I chose the Extreme package as while I'm a heavy user 300 GB a month is still more than enough for my needs. The transfer from Rogers went smoothly. On the day of the change I came home from work and plugged in the new modem (which arrived mere days after my original order went through) and off I went. A minor gripe was that I initially had some issues with streaming content, but a couple reboots of the modem later and something seemed to "click". The connection has been completely consistent ever since. Downloading files, streaming content like Netflix and internet browsing have all been fast and reliable.

Customer service has been superior to any telecom I've ever dealt with, bar none. I have needed to call them 3 times, and all 3 times the experience was identical. I was on hold for less than two minutes, and then was assisted by someone who was extremely polite, quick and had no issues answering any of my enquiries.

The one negative I can think of is the upfront cost you need to make. As you currently cannot rent the modem from TekSavvy Cable, the initial cost including activation fee, modem purchase and first month of service made me hesitate for a second. But that hesitation disappeared since I already heard so many positive things about them. If I was a less tech-savvy (pun not intended) and more casual consumer, then such a pricey investment from a company you never heard of before may be a deterrent. Of course, over the long haul it is more than worth it, as my bill is 25-30% cheaper than it used to be under Rogers, and even then it's not taking into account how my Rogers bill sometimes had large overage fees because I dared to rent one HD movie too many that month.

Comments:

Review by spal2010 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "I'm no longer paying for this bad service"
Bad "New activation and now cancellation is a nightmare"
Overall "customers beware - another smaller version of Rogers"

[Update Aug 31 2011]

Teksavvy is another Rogers, I call to cancelled back on August 11, 2011 and I'm still waiting for the modem to be release which was suppose to be completed back on Aug 16, then 22 now who knows. No callback or followup by anyone. This company needs to get its act together before people start leaving in mass.

[History]

Ordered internet cable on Feb 16 and it's now Mar 16. I'm still without internet.

Tech Support is rude and waiting for hours before I get a customer support rep and now waiting for a manager callback.

This is the major problem with Teksavvy, placing the blame anywhere else and not doing much for the new customer. It's like they are working with Rogers making it difficult as possible to get internet service.

[Update March 21]

Spent over a week trying to setup an activation date with Rogers tech, never happened.
Contact sales and technical support, refuse to give full refund said it is not their fault. Advise to setup a technical call and a request to send out a Rogers tech on Sunday March 20. I waited all day, emailed Teksavvy to see if Rogers is coming or not. No reply, no return call and no Rogers Tech show up. Wasted another day.

This is getting ridiculous, please reply to email at the very least.

8:00pm - Rogers cable guy came around 6:45pm and from the cable room, switch on proper cable line going to the living room. Previous owner had cable in living room and cable internet to bedroom. I'm now on-line with speed of 3.6M/5K - not 10meg, but right now it's better than being off-line.

Comments:

Review by s0dhi See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Promise and Price"
Bad "Unable to resolve issues"
Overall "If you rely on your connection, avoid them."

·TekSavvy DSL
I signed up for Teksavvy cable internet service after using Rogers cable internet services for the past 15 years. In those 15 years, I have had, at most, 5 days where I have had an issue.

The switch to Teksavvy was very easy. On the cut-over day, I simply switched my Rogers rental modem for the Thompson modem sold to me by Teksavvy. The entire switch took about 30 minutes.

However, since I switched to Teksavvy, I have had an issue where the internet service disconnects multiple (3-5) times a day for periods of 1-3 minutes. I am an IT professional that works from home daily and I rely on my connection. These disconnects have had a rather large impact on my daily activities.

Within the first 5 days of the switch, I reported the issue to Teksavvy and have spent the last 20+ days performing troubleshooting, re-arranging my devices on my network to facilitate the escalation and troubleshooting of this issue. The interesting fact is that I have been in my house using Rogers for 10 years and have never experienced this issue in the past.

To date I have no resolution to the issue - in fact the escalation to Rogers resulted in the reply that the modem is offline. Magically, I still use this "offline" modem to write this review.

Teksavvy's hands are tied. Aside from repeatedly telling me that if Rogers doesn't find an issue that I would be charged and additional $100 for the diagnostic, they have been of little help other than lending a sympathetic ear.

I'm at my wit's end. I have asked for someone to call me if they wish to retain me as a customer. If nobody calls me by next week, I will be cancelling this service and returning to Rogers.

If you rely on your connection, I would suggest you approach Teksavvy with caution. My experience tells me that even though everything should work and switch may be easy, if you run into problems, those problems will become YOUR problems, not Teksavvy's or Rogers' problems.

Comments:

Review by Neozonz See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent Plans"
Bad "Update: Once congestion hits your connection will go at 20% of the advertised speeds."
Overall "Update: If you don't care about reliability and want to save money, Teksavvy will do it for you."

I had continuous problems with rogers.

I switched to TekSavvy and all my problems were solved- oh and at half the price with better speeds.
__________________________________________
Update:
I get a connection speed of 2-4mbits due to POI congestion. Teksavvy has said they would upgrade and fix the situation end of March, It's been a month and the issue is as of yet unresolved.

Not a happy customer.
___________________________________________
Update:

I moved to Don Mills and Eglinton and I'm speeding along at 30mbits.
My old house however at York university is still suffering though...

It was probably really congestion in that area because all the students living there, but now I'm speeding along great!