TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by bassteban See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Good price for a service that is given for double the price by the company."
Bad "3rd party reseller that is at the mercy of anticompetitive practices from main company."
Overall "Good value once you get the service."

***This is a preamble to a full review once service is activated.***

Now I've used Videotron cable in Montreal and am still subscribed to the service until I see how good it is for same service under Teksavvy.

Ordered the service on Sept 9th 2011 (Qc Cable - D:8mbps U:1mbps B:50GB) to be activated on 20th of September (I was told by a friend to not set a date too close as it would be pushed back). Turns out I waited on the tentative date until the 20th WITHOUT news and when the day came, I called them up and they said the tech wasn't coming.

The evening after I called them, received an email letting me know I was going to be activated on the 7th of October, A MONTH after the order date. I called Videotron and they could get it done next week if I went with them. So there is my point that they are at the mercy of the main company.

My main disappointment in this is running an extra 2 weeks without internet at home and also the fact that I could've gotten a better price for my modem by ordering it somewhere else and for my router as well (better price or much better quality for the same price i.e. a modem capable of much higher speed would I decide to upgrade in the future).

So there you have it. I will post an update once my service is activated and thoroughly tested!

Thank you.

Comments:

Review by zbw68973631 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "High quality when it works properly"
Bad "Sometime it does not work properly"

Almost have been with Teksavvy's extreme pro cable for three months now, the overall experience is good, nice speed, no usage limit, $60 per month but worth it. However, I don't know what happened these days, the connection is being very unstable, almost losing connection every 1-2 minutes. I tried to contact the technical support but I was told that they may have to send Rogers technical team to my house, and there is a possible cost of $90 dollars.

After I making the phone call, it worked nicely for like 4 hours, so I called back to cancel the appointment with Rogers. But unfortunately it fails again, during the time I was typing this review, it lost connection for 3 times.

I will be glad to stay with them if the thing works properly as before, but right now I am very disappointed.

5-31-2011 Update

Now after I called TS's tech support Rogers made some adjustment so the service is back online now. BUT the tragedy is that now Rogers BANS one of my download software called "Thunder Network", and I spent a lot of money on their membership. They did it without sending me any acknowledgement, I just can't understand, if they do not allow their customers to download a lot, what's the reason for me to spend $59 a month for the Extreme Pro? The only reason I choose TS's top level cable is because it has the highest speed and no usage limit, now that only seems to be my own wishes.

7-27-2011 Update

They keep blocking one of my downloading software even I do NOTHING with it. Here is the speed test results.

9-20-2011 Update

See the speedtest result I had at 9:22 PM in Mississauga.

Comments:

Review by Asgorath See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Good "Low price, good service, excellent forum support staff"
Bad "Call centre staff"
Overall "Glad I switched from Rogers, I can enjoy the internet again."

Note: This is based on service provided to Newmarket, Ontario. I can't speak to the quality of service in other areas.

After being on Rogers cable for a few years I decided to make the switch to Teksavvy cable. I'm certainly glad I did.

Old Rogers Plan:
Speed: 10mbps
Cap: 95gb
Price: $72.31

New Teksavvy Plan:
Speed: 15mbps
Cap: 300gb
Price: $48.53

When you compare the plans it kinda makes switching a no-brainer.

While I was happy with Rogers connection reliability, the price was outrageous considering the low cap and throttling. I've been with Teksavvy for just over 3 months now and am very happy with the service.

So far the connection on Teksavvy seems to be fairly stable, I think I've counted only a few times where the modem lost connection but it was quickly back up and running. More importantly though I'm no longer counting bytes hoping to squeak in under the cap each month. I went over a few times with Rogers and the cost adds up quickly. I'm also no longer feeling like Rogers has a direct line to my bank account and is sucking me dry...

My one and only complaint so far, and it's not much of one to be honest, is the professionalism of the phone staff. During the switch process I had to call in a few times and I wasn't all that impressed with the people I was speaking too. A few times I wasn't even sure if I was talking to employee at a call centre or someone at home on their day off. Luckily the support staff on the direct support forum are great and they helped me complete the switch with no further issues.

Would I recommend Teksavvy to others? Depends. If you're in an area impacted by congestion I would say hold off. But if you're in an area like Newmarket I'd ask why you haven't already signed up?

Comments:

Review by jord See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Good "If it mostly works, it'll probably be fine"
Bad "If it doesn't...don't expect service (if any)"
Overall "Teksavvy was idolized for service - not so much nowadays..."

This is just a quick write up, as I really DO hope to change it to something much much better later on.

I and many others use to love Teksavvy for what it did best: Customer Service *with* the kitchen sink.

However, since the debut of it's cable internet service, followed by the subsequent inability to say 'no' to new accounts/sign-ups; it's prior qualities have become little more than a distant dream.

Their business model focused on 'SERVICE'...but they're probably *beyond* 10x serviceable capacity right now (i.e. so many customers, it's now known for the polar opposite).

If Teksavvy is to retain or regain it's previous business model, it needs to:

- stop taking on 'new' customers: Boats close to capsizing from over capacity, aren't helped by adding more to a dire problem.

- truncate/cut back customers (incredibly difficult) until 'acceptable service' levels are re-achieved '&' improved upon.

*OR* merrily continue on it's way until push comes to shove.

Got Teksavvy's Extreme Cable package: Getting 1,500Kpbs/800Kpbs (avg) from (ad) 15,000Kpbs/1000Kpbs.

Comments:

Review by CID128292 See Profile

• Install: about -1 days
Good ""Good" is not the synonym of the word "TekSavvy""
Bad ""Bad" = incorrect information of technical support (lies in other words)"
Overall "my 170$ of service activation = no internet service at all (zero) provided by the company"

CID128292

The only good thing was with teksavvy's services is a lady on the phone that sounds really nice when you could get hold of her today at 5 pm. After this time company literally dies. What can I say 24/7 support when I am calling right now from 730pm to 930pm non stop for on a connection that sadly is not mine, but rogers that lags every 3seconds through skype, because guess what... I have spend all my money on my cell phone calling you first 30 minutes, taking a note from that lovely lady speaking with me today at 5pm that stated "...it is easier to get hold of us at the evening or at night...". Hopefully she wasn't talking at the same time with someone else.

Next, before going home from work at the same 5pm I got transferred by that lady to the tech support and tech guy with a good voice was talking to me as supposed to a customer.. But...

First of all, activation date was yesterday 9/13/2011 and I took a day off from work in order to be here (at home) and wait for tech support. You should have a certain time when you would come to my place or call me on the phone but I have never received a phone call on the same date when I should of get an activation. And your certain time is somewhere between 8am and 5pm which is absurd obviously.

No one came. (Dot) Perfect... But today (9/14/2011) I am receiving a text message on my phone stating that service was actually activated. Just this moment I thought I am a happy customer again and that is a time when I called tech support and they began to explain to me that they actually activated it outside of a house and everything I need to do is to plug in my modem to my computer and to a phone line.

+ They said that modem is already configured and BOLD[ guy was sure about that ]!!! At the same time when I was talking to tech support I was looking at this page: »www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp. While being on the phone I was also making a research just to be sure what he is talking about. So he stated that he did set up Routed Mode that appears he obviously didn't when I came back from work to test it. Also again he stated surely that internet connection on my address is activated and I just need to connect all in all...

Outcome:
-i took a day off from work, no sign of a person near the door
-i tried everything in teksavvy's support page (»www.teksavvy.com/en/support.asp), nothing worked
-through the same page I set up myself routed mode for modem doing teksavvy's work (it appears I have nothing else to do)
-yes I have windows 7 and yes I changed that file permission and renamed it and copied required one
-so i looked in documentation and checked all rooms of a house for internet connection, only Power indicator works
-i spent 2 hours calling you for support... nothing... no response... (value = null)
-in total for two days i spent 6 hours trying to fix a problem myself for which I paid in total 170$ for the second day and stayed home for no reason first one

I must say that support (person that talks on the phone) is a face of a company especially in your case. Giving incorect information to customers and lying to them would never make a good business to you and to your customers in the long run.

This is disrespect to me and my time in the first place.

Concussion:
1. I would really appreciate to have day and my 6 (now 7 hours) back. But, well, sad fact is that it would probably never happen.
2. I would also appreciate to solve my problem till Saturday this week, because we are all people and I have a family that waits for my in skype every weekend.
3. I would want a refund of your services you provided if 2nd point fails

Comments:

Review by KKaWing See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Unlimited bandwith, readily available support staff."
Bad "Needs better coordination with last-mile provider (Rogers for me)."
Overall "Decently fast 15/1 service with no bandwidth caps... WIN!!!"

Ordered TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (10mbps/1mbps)

Took 29 days to connect from date of order due to Rogers 30 days cancellation requirement.

Teksavvy called to confirm due to my address used as a basement rental, creating multiple address in Rogers database.

Rogers tried to plant FUD to convince us to switch all our telephone lines to their digital service, even though we require an analogue line, by saying they cannot complete the transfer if the account has one analogue and one digital phone line with them.

Prime time speeds hover between 7-8 mbps down 1 mbps up. Considering it is one of the *really* few uncapped services around, I don't mind.

The need to buy our own modem and pay an activation fee along with the first month's service = to around $150 CAD. Looks bad, until you compare it with my Rogers bill for $69.99 25 mbps service + the $50 overage charge per month.

Overall, no more worrying about going over the bandwidth cap if I order a game from Steam and stream TV from globaltv.com, history.ca, and the discovery.ca networks.

Update: Been a while since they switched me over to 15/1, 24/1 is rumored to be active soon as well but I'm still on the 5101N, so no upgrade for me. Overall stable connection. There is congestion and slow speeds in the evening but upgrades meant the speeds go back to advertised after the upgrades are in place. Never needed to call in, so can't comment on that but direct forums still great when I needed it (rarely).

member for 7.5 years, 1992 visits, last login: 77 days ago

Comments:

Review by Xec See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "24/1 300GB Cap for $48.53 w/ tax"
Bad "Startup Cost!"
Overall "Well Price + Speed + Cap = Sweet"

1/16/2011
Update:

Speeds on the McNicoll POI are back to normal after the upgrade from a 500 mb link to a 1 gb one.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1114594601.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/32399973.png

12/13/2010
Update:

Things keep getting worse for McNicoll POI....

»www.speedtest.net/result/1068422023.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/30128329.png

Note: the Ping test Result Seems to of lasted less than 30secs as I'm all good now weird..

»www.pingtest.net/result/30129141.png

12/07/2010
Update:
Experiencing loss, high jitter, increased pings, and 6-12Mbit inconsistent speeds during peak hours (6-10pm) at the McNicoll POI.

»www.pingtest.net/result/29730013.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/29730483.png

11/28/2010
Update:

Speed Boost Added to McNicoll POI I wonder if TekSavvy can handle it...

»www.speedtest.net/result/1048244000.png

11/02/2010
Update:

Swapped the SB5101N (DOCSIS 2.0) modem for the SB6120 (DOCSIS 3.0) for a little more "future proof". Also Noticing that the speed seems to be always 15Mbs on the SB6120 where as on the SB5101N it would fluctuate between 11-15Mbs during peek hours.

Both the Speed & Ping Tests show that everything is running good.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1014878192.png

»www.pingtest.net/result/27298155.png

10/21/2010
Update:

Tech showed up at 8.00am sharp ^_^. Installed a splitter to split the cable between the Modem/TV. Finished in 10mins. I guess it does pay to book the early appointment; ended up missing no work.

Some Tests as of 5:30pm

Speed:
Great Speed seeing the full 15/1.
»www.speedtest.net/result/999574567.png

Ping:
Nice sub 20 ping.
»www.pingtest.net/result/26514528.png

Pure Speed:
3 mins downloading at 1.8MB/s from MS no power boost just sweet pure raw speed.
XP SP3 was one of the biggest files I found there. I just needed something that could handle this speed for about a few mins.
»img257.imageshack.us/img257/9677···ure1.png

Trace Route:
Connecting through the formerly controversial McNicoll POI; all is well there.
»img684.imageshack.us/img684/7596···oute.png

So all is great from the get-go, hopefully it stays this way for a while; I believe it would considering Teksavvy was fast to upgrade the Overloaded POI's.

Adjusted points to reflect service as of now.

-------------------------------

10/20/2010
Update:

Well the modem shipped in 2 days arriving on the 14th; checked the mailbox to find the ticket and picked it up today. Great shipping, no damaged items with all cables included (Ethernet, Power, Cat6).

Everything is hooked up and all the lights are green, just waiting for the tech to show up tomorrow to activate my service.

-------------------------------

10/12/2010

Well I called Up Teksavvy and ordered the cable Extreme 15/1 200GB Plan.

My startup cost is about $172. o_O
It's a nasty number but when broken down it's pretty much acceptable.

$75.00 Modem
$24.95 Activation Fee
$42.95 First Monthly Advance Payment
$16.05 HST Tax
$10.00 Shipping

Modem Shipment is expected in 2-4 business days. Rogers technician is expect to arrive on the 21 at the earliest. I've heard about horribly late modem and technician arrival stories; hopefully I'll have a good experience through it all.

Ps. Since I already payed for this month's DSL bill I'll have it at my disposal for the next 26 days after which it will be disconnected. Also Since I'm not hooked up yet I've given the 3/5 for both install and connection since I can't judge that now.

member for 9.5 years, 2060 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Very fast, works great!"
Bad "None yet, will udpate in future"
Overall "Better price, sensible caps (or unlimited), what are you waiting for?"

·TekSavvy DSL
[1 day review]
Went live yesterday morning. The Rogers service was still working at 8am, but decided to plug in the SB6120 and try it. It worked right away without issues. Instantly noticed the significantly faster speeds (was on Express 10/0.5 previously)

Speed tests last night were hovering around 23Mbps, and sustained download speeds were hovering around 2.8-3.0 MB/s. So it seems I'm on the new 24Mbps profile, which is a nice surprise!

So far I've downloaded 10GB in queued up Steam and PSN games, completely guilt free. It's a wonderful feeling being able to use the internet without constantly worrying about the usage caps.

More updates to come!

Comments:

Review by technocar2 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, no throttling, low ping, large cap, excellent price ... what more do you want!"
Bad "none so far....I hope it stays that way"
Overall "Just all round awesome ISP that provides great service."

I signed up for the Extreme Cable and the order/installation was perfect. Tech showed up early morning on installation date; I showed him my modem's signal and he went into his truck and provisioned my modem and I was up and running. All this was done under 10 mins and he was on his way to the next work order.

I get very nice speeds, even during peak hours, I can max out my connection on torrents both up and down.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1333092399.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Sure 15 mbps can't compete with Robbers 50 mbps but lets not forget Robbers really low caps and excessive throttling. So I'm happy with 15mbps with high cap and no throttling.

I will probably get their unlimited tier as I'm already at 210 GB and I still have two weeks to go on my current billing cycle.

As for Pre Sales information, I feel Teksavvy needs to be more clear on how prepaid billing works as I needed some clarifications in that regard. I contacted them through direct forum and they told me everything I needed to know. Also I'm using a normal SB5101 and when I was ordering online it gave me the option of both the SB5101 and SB5101N but on your supported modem page you only listed SB5101N. So if you know that normal SB5101 works why not list that as well!

Update:
I now have a SB6120 and have gotten the 24 mbps upgrade before many other TSI users, yes I'm a guinea pig

»speedtest.net/result/1460931489.png

»speedtest.net/result/1464968562.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Comments:

Review by fillet1970 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Friendly, informative pre-sales, good service pacakage selection/prices"
Bad "First contact resolution is unsatisfactory - knowledgebase is weak with policy updates; does not take ownership of issues"
Overall "Good prices and service at the expense of sacrificing quality of customer service..."

The sales person I spoke with last month was exceptional. She was friendly, thorough with pre-sales information, aware of the current Teksavvy/Canada Computers promotion and identified it for me to take advantage of. I was sold! She confirmed my postal code service availability and made the sign-up process seem to be very simple & the cut-over from Rogers to be seamless....all I had to do was was call 7 days in advance prior to the cancellation of my existing cable internet provider. The information she provided was consistent with the website.

Moving forward to last night, the experience was different. The wait time was over an hour (from 10PM to 11PM). I am not sure why it took so long....I did mention to the agent about the long wait time but I didn't get a "simple" apology or explanation. I'm assuming that the Salem POI outage may have contributed to slow service but the agent made no mention of it. When she identified that they were not accepting new customers in my area I became quite agitated and I think it was quite obvious to her. I pointed out to her that I purchased the internet package from Canada Computers and had a high dependency for internet (VOIP, entertainment and VPN for work) she had nothing to add or offered alternative solutions.

In the end I escalated the call to a Supervisor who listened to my complaint, evaluated my concerns and provided answers to my questions. I don't know if the agent had the skills-base to deal with negative sales call, but if she was not capable of evaluating my concerns she should have escalated my call so that the sale would not be lost.

Take note, the activation timeline for Cable service (based on the supervisor's response) is from 12 days, not the 7 days as stated on the website. I've attempted to readdress the conflicting information with a rep this morning....she didn't want to take accountability of addressing the website error...let's see how long it will take the Webmaster to update the page.

[Update] Activation timelines have been updated with more details (cable new connection and transfer.