TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by mmx4000 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Very fast, works great!"
Bad "None yet, will udpate in future"
Overall "Better price, sensible caps (or unlimited), what are you waiting for?"

·TekSavvy DSL
[1 day review]
Went live yesterday morning. The Rogers service was still working at 8am, but decided to plug in the SB6120 and try it. It worked right away without issues. Instantly noticed the significantly faster speeds (was on Express 10/0.5 previously)

Speed tests last night were hovering around 23Mbps, and sustained download speeds were hovering around 2.8-3.0 MB/s. So it seems I'm on the new 24Mbps profile, which is a nice surprise!

So far I've downloaded 10GB in queued up Steam and PSN games, completely guilt free. It's a wonderful feeling being able to use the internet without constantly worrying about the usage caps.

More updates to come!

Comments:

Review by technocar2 See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast, reliable, no throttling, low ping, large cap, excellent price ... what more do you want!"
Bad "none so far....I hope it stays that way"
Overall "Just all round awesome ISP that provides great service."

I signed up for the Extreme Cable and the order/installation was perfect. Tech showed up early morning on installation date; I showed him my modem's signal and he went into his truck and provisioned my modem and I was up and running. All this was done under 10 mins and he was on his way to the next work order.

I get very nice speeds, even during peak hours, I can max out my connection on torrents both up and down.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1333092399.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

Sure 15 mbps can't compete with Robbers 50 mbps but lets not forget Robbers really low caps and excessive throttling. So I'm happy with 15mbps with high cap and no throttling.

I will probably get their unlimited tier as I'm already at 210 GB and I still have two weeks to go on my current billing cycle.

As for Pre Sales information, I feel Teksavvy needs to be more clear on how prepaid billing works as I needed some clarifications in that regard. I contacted them through direct forum and they told me everything I needed to know. Also I'm using a normal SB5101 and when I was ordering online it gave me the option of both the SB5101 and SB5101N but on your supported modem page you only listed SB5101N. So if you know that normal SB5101 works why not list that as well!

Update:
I now have a SB6120 and have gotten the 24 mbps upgrade before many other TSI users, yes I'm a guinea pig

»speedtest.net/result/1460931489.png

»speedtest.net/result/1464968562.png (speed boost disabled through router to make QoS work properly)

member for 5.2 years, 1448 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fillet1970 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Friendly, informative pre-sales, good service pacakage selection/prices"
Bad "First contact resolution is unsatisfactory - knowledgebase is weak with policy updates; does not take ownership of issues"
Overall "Good prices and service at the expense of sacrificing quality of customer service..."

The sales person I spoke with last month was exceptional. She was friendly, thorough with pre-sales information, aware of the current Teksavvy/Canada Computers promotion and identified it for me to take advantage of. I was sold! She confirmed my postal code service availability and made the sign-up process seem to be very simple & the cut-over from Rogers to be seamless....all I had to do was was call 7 days in advance prior to the cancellation of my existing cable internet provider. The information she provided was consistent with the website.

Moving forward to last night, the experience was different. The wait time was over an hour (from 10PM to 11PM). I am not sure why it took so long....I did mention to the agent about the long wait time but I didn't get a "simple" apology or explanation. I'm assuming that the Salem POI outage may have contributed to slow service but the agent made no mention of it. When she identified that they were not accepting new customers in my area I became quite agitated and I think it was quite obvious to her. I pointed out to her that I purchased the internet package from Canada Computers and had a high dependency for internet (VOIP, entertainment and VPN for work) she had nothing to add or offered alternative solutions.

In the end I escalated the call to a Supervisor who listened to my complaint, evaluated my concerns and provided answers to my questions. I don't know if the agent had the skills-base to deal with negative sales call, but if she was not capable of evaluating my concerns she should have escalated my call so that the sale would not be lost.

Take note, the activation timeline for Cable service (based on the supervisor's response) is from 12 days, not the 7 days as stated on the website. I've attempted to readdress the conflicting information with a rep this morning....she didn't want to take accountability of addressing the website error...let's see how long it will take the Webmaster to update the page.

[Update] Activation timelines have been updated with more details (cable new connection and transfer.

Comments:

Review by kuddles See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service; Reliable speed; Great Price"
Bad "Hefty initial investment may be a turn-off"
Overall "Best decision I ever made, wish I had done it sooner."

I had originally planned on switching to TekSavvy DSL the last time I moved, it turned out my new residence couldn't accept DSL in general. I had been using Rogers ever since then. While I didn't have any major issues with Rogers (unlike the numerous problems with Bell), the low caps and punitive fees for exceeding them were growing tiresome. When TekSavvy Cable became available in my area, I immediately decided to give it a try.

I chose the Extreme package as while I'm a heavy user 300 GB a month is still more than enough for my needs. The transfer from Rogers went smoothly. On the day of the change I came home from work and plugged in the new modem (which arrived mere days after my original order went through) and off I went. A minor gripe was that I initially had some issues with streaming content, but a couple reboots of the modem later and something seemed to "click". The connection has been completely consistent ever since. Downloading files, streaming content like Netflix and internet browsing have all been fast and reliable.

Customer service has been superior to any telecom I've ever dealt with, bar none. I have needed to call them 3 times, and all 3 times the experience was identical. I was on hold for less than two minutes, and then was assisted by someone who was extremely polite, quick and had no issues answering any of my enquiries.

The one negative I can think of is the upfront cost you need to make. As you currently cannot rent the modem from TekSavvy Cable, the initial cost including activation fee, modem purchase and first month of service made me hesitate for a second. But that hesitation disappeared since I already heard so many positive things about them. If I was a less tech-savvy (pun not intended) and more casual consumer, then such a pricey investment from a company you never heard of before may be a deterrent. Of course, over the long haul it is more than worth it, as my bill is 25-30% cheaper than it used to be under Rogers, and even then it's not taking into account how my Rogers bill sometimes had large overage fees because I dared to rent one HD movie too many that month.

Comments:

Review by spal2010 See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "I'm no longer paying for this bad service"
Bad "New activation and now cancellation is a nightmare"
Overall "customers beware - another smaller version of Rogers"

[Update Aug 31 2011]

Teksavvy is another Rogers, I call to cancelled back on August 11, 2011 and I'm still waiting for the modem to be release which was suppose to be completed back on Aug 16, then 22 now who knows. No callback or followup by anyone. This company needs to get its act together before people start leaving in mass.

[History]

Ordered internet cable on Feb 16 and it's now Mar 16. I'm still without internet.

Tech Support is rude and waiting for hours before I get a customer support rep and now waiting for a manager callback.

This is the major problem with Teksavvy, placing the blame anywhere else and not doing much for the new customer. It's like they are working with Rogers making it difficult as possible to get internet service.

[Update March 21]

Spent over a week trying to setup an activation date with Rogers tech, never happened.
Contact sales and technical support, refuse to give full refund said it is not their fault. Advise to setup a technical call and a request to send out a Rogers tech on Sunday March 20. I waited all day, emailed Teksavvy to see if Rogers is coming or not. No reply, no return call and no Rogers Tech show up. Wasted another day.

This is getting ridiculous, please reply to email at the very least.

8:00pm - Rogers cable guy came around 6:45pm and from the cable room, switch on proper cable line going to the living room. Previous owner had cable in living room and cable internet to bedroom. I'm now on-line with speed of 3.6M/5K - not 10meg, but right now it's better than being off-line.

Comments:

Review by s0dhi See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Promise and Price"
Bad "Unable to resolve issues"
Overall "If you rely on your connection, avoid them."

·TekSavvy DSL
I signed up for Teksavvy cable internet service after using Rogers cable internet services for the past 15 years. In those 15 years, I have had, at most, 5 days where I have had an issue.

The switch to Teksavvy was very easy. On the cut-over day, I simply switched my Rogers rental modem for the Thompson modem sold to me by Teksavvy. The entire switch took about 30 minutes.

However, since I switched to Teksavvy, I have had an issue where the internet service disconnects multiple (3-5) times a day for periods of 1-3 minutes. I am an IT professional that works from home daily and I rely on my connection. These disconnects have had a rather large impact on my daily activities.

Within the first 5 days of the switch, I reported the issue to Teksavvy and have spent the last 20+ days performing troubleshooting, re-arranging my devices on my network to facilitate the escalation and troubleshooting of this issue. The interesting fact is that I have been in my house using Rogers for 10 years and have never experienced this issue in the past.

To date I have no resolution to the issue - in fact the escalation to Rogers resulted in the reply that the modem is offline. Magically, I still use this "offline" modem to write this review.

Teksavvy's hands are tied. Aside from repeatedly telling me that if Rogers doesn't find an issue that I would be charged and additional $100 for the diagnostic, they have been of little help other than lending a sympathetic ear.

I'm at my wit's end. I have asked for someone to call me if they wish to retain me as a customer. If nobody calls me by next week, I will be cancelling this service and returning to Rogers.

If you rely on your connection, I would suggest you approach Teksavvy with caution. My experience tells me that even though everything should work and switch may be easy, if you run into problems, those problems will become YOUR problems, not Teksavvy's or Rogers' problems.

member for 3 years, 804 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Neozonz See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Excellent Plans"
Bad "Update: Once congestion hits your connection will go at 20% of the advertised speeds."
Overall "Update: If you don't care about reliability and want to save money, Teksavvy will do it for you."

I had continuous problems with rogers.

I switched to TekSavvy and all my problems were solved- oh and at half the price with better speeds.
__________________________________________
Update:
I get a connection speed of 2-4mbits due to POI congestion. Teksavvy has said they would upgrade and fix the situation end of March, It's been a month and the issue is as of yet unresolved.

Not a happy customer.
___________________________________________
Update:

I moved to Don Mills and Eglinton and I'm speeding along at 30mbits.
My old house however at York university is still suffering though...

It was probably really congestion in that area because all the students living there, but now I'm speeding along great!

Comments:

Review by Hawgpappy See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Nothing so far"
Bad "Everything so far"
Overall "Don't use these guys their service is the worst ever"

In July I enquired to hook up with Teksavvy was told I had to disconnect from Rogers first.

Made a disconnect date and called Teksavvy, they said when Rogers disconnects their tech would connect. That was Aug. 14. Monday I called for no service was told a ticket would be made. Tuesday still no service was told they had the wrong modem info even though I went through that info with them on Monday. New ticket so now I have to wait another 24 hrs. Waited to call back on Thursday was told that they would escalate it. Another 24 hour wait. Friday afternoon I called again and was told there was no response from Rogers so they would escalate it to the second level. Today Monday one week later I was told they responded and said a tech had to come out and instal the modem. Ridiculous because I am watching cable tv and talking to these guys on a cable phone and the modem is telling me I am already connected. Every time I phoned these guys in the last week I was on hold for a minimum half hour and when I left a callback request no one called. Asked to speak to a manager and they never called me back either. No one seems to be able to do anything about this and won't give me the name of anyone higher in the company. Called customer service and was told there was nothing they could do, I had to talk with tech. This is only a partial recount of my experience so far. It goes on and on, the blind leading the blind. So 8 days and counting and I am no further ahead than I was then. If I ran my business this way I would be out of business. Anyway I am not giving up. I'll get some satisfaction sooner or later.

member for 3 years, 1 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mryates See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Connection as soon as the tech hooked up the modem"
Bad "First installation date failed due to a mix-up with my address, even after the tech called me and I told him the proper address"
Overall "Cancelled service, modem lost provisioning and no sign of it coming up anytime soon"

Ordered May 17.

Received confirmation on May 20th that install is scheduled for May 26th between 5-8pm.

Modem showed up a couple days later.

May 26th - Driving home at 5:30pm I drive past a communications truck and a few seconds later I get a call on my cell phone from the installation tech. He advised me that he was at such and such an address to install cable internet. I told him that was the wrong address and advised him of the correct address. He said he needed to call his dispatch and would call me back.

The tech calls me back 20 minutes later to tell me that he wouldn't be able to do the install and I should contact my provider to have the address corrected.

I first check my confirmation email to ensure I had entered the correct address which it was. I called Teksavvy and confirmed that they had submitted the correct address, which they said they had. They sent an email to Rogers to make sure the address was corrected and to reschedule.

I called back a few hours later and the support tech said he would "escalate" the issue through Rogers and I should hear back from them in 24-48 hours. I opened a Teksavvy Direct topic the next day to find out if anything had happened. They advised that Rogers has limited support in their escalations department on the weekend. I posted in the topic again on Sunday morning and they tell me the same thing. Finally on Monday I received an email stating that June 3rd would be the next install date between 5-8pm. Apparently this was the earliest they could get.

June 3rd the tech shows up at 6pm. Does some stuff outside with the cable box on my front lawn. Then comes to the door. I take him to the garage to show where the cable comes in, show him the holes I've drilled through the studs, through the wall into the basement, and then through the basement ceiling into the utility closet where I had the modem mounted. I helped him pull the wire through and he did the termination in the garage and at the modem. After a couple of minutes all the modem lights starting lighting up and it appear to have a good connection. The tech then left (His responsibility is only to make the connection, if the modem lights up great, if not then I guess my only recourse would have been to call Teksavvy, but he seemed light a decent person that he might have tried to trouble shoot and make sure his connection was adequate). and I plugged a computer directly into the modem and had internet. Speedtest showed 35 mbps down, .99 up, 15 ms ping, 2 ms jitter, 0% packet loss. Hooked everything up to my router and changed to settings to accommodate DHCP instead of PPPoE. So far everything seems good. Internet works fine, speed is as advertised, VOIP phones, Asterisk Server, Video and Audio streaming all work as they should. Almost 24 hours now. If anything changes I'll update this review, but so far I am happy with the service in the end.

I was a little disappointed that they install was delayed a week because of (rogers) apparent mistake with my address. I am glad I didn't schedule to cancel my Teksavvy DSL. I am going to keep it for a least a month to make sure everything is good with the cable.

UPDATE: AUGUST 22/2010

Well, 1 week ago today I lost my internet. Called Teksavvy around 5pm after doing some troubleshooting on my item. My IP was 10.???.???.?? and they said my modem had been deprovisioned. They entered a ticket with Rogers. Advised that rogers has 24 hours to respond. After approx 24 hours (Tuesday about 4pm) I called Teksavvy from work (no phone at home with Voip phone service!). On hold for 15 minutes left a message to be called back. Left work to go home. 7pm called again. On hold for 20 minutes. Left number for call back in my priority queue. 9pm passes with no call back so I call Teksavvy once again. On hold for about 20-30 minutes. Left my number again to be called back. Get off phone and see that they tried to call at 9:20pm (almost 2 1/2 hours after I left my number for call back!). Go to bed around 12am. Wake up and see they called at 1:30am. Call back at 6:40 on hold for 20 minutes before I get a hold of someone. He said that Rogers has 24-48 hours to respond. Wednesday called at 5pm and left my number for call back. 2 hours past and I called Rogers and signed up with them. They installed Thursday afternoon. Teksavvy called back 8pm Wednesday (3 hours after I left my callback number!!) and I cancelled my service. See ya. I'm done taking chances on the little guy. Get your stuff worked on then maybe in a few years I'll give it another shot. Sure I'm paying more, but my phone works, the wife is happy, and I'm not racking up cell phone charges to the tune of $0.25 a minute waiting on hold.

Comments:

Review by Nemo888 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Rogers with NO THROTTLING or 50$+ overage charge every month."
Bad "If you eat a monopolists lunch they may try to destroy you/"
Overall "Great value, the owner fights monopolists and cares about his customers."

Great speed. No throttling. Great price. I don't have to deal with Rogers. Went from 109$ a month to 47 with faster, more reliable internet.