TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ghent123 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Value for the money is great, but Marc and other support staff being very active on the DSLr forums is just the cherry on top."
Bad "Any issues that requires rogers to look into more in depth can take some time, but knew that getting into it anyways"
Overall "For the price you can't beat what you get from it."

I've been with TekSavvys for just over 2 years now.
Since that I believe I had a few issues.
1. was I had the old 475 frame ware 2.08 which caused many error and reboots of the modem. After talking with TekSavvys about it and going through the troubleshooting anything else that could be causing the issue. At the end of the day TekSavvy sent me a modem with the updated frame ware and I sent the old one back once I was up and running. No cost to me.
For gaming it was a nightmare during the time, but couldn't blame TekSavvys for it since it was an upgrade done to rogers network that caused all the issue in the first place.

2. During my move to my new place the move dates got changed at the last min since the place wasn't ready yet. 5 days until I was meant to be moved I had to call TekSavvys and was told it was short notice and unsure if they can cancel the move request.
Sure enough it wasn't enough time took about a week to get my cable back up, but they credited me the move order for my troubles which was great. Wasn't teksavvys fault or rogers, but was on my end.

Network has gone down a few time but normal only do to rogers doing updates to my POI or lines in the area, normal don't find out until it happens and I call in to see what is going on but isn't long.

Some people have had some major issues on the POI I'm on St. Laurent POI in Ottawa but I haven't had most of the issues people have been having.

Always been having the speeds I've being paying for or better (28/1). Even during peak hours not many slow downs.

I'm looking forward the upgrades this summer and better upload speeds.

Just wish the CRTC would fully see what is going on with internet in Canada and be more helpfully towards customers and make it a better market for us all.

Last but not least TekSavvys is still growing and yes there phone ques can be a bit high at some times at least there is help on the DSLr forums for some issues and in the direct forums and doing a lot of work on myworld to make a lot more things easier and quicker without having call in.

member for 3 years, 788 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the feedback in concerns to the overall performance of your services, and glad to hear that you are happy with the service. In concerns to our phone times we are hiring again, so this should be alleviated soon.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and feel free to get a hold of us anytime!

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by Defiant001 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Excellent customer service, ISP run at the core by those who understand tech"
Bad "Connection can be unstable at times, but this is rare."
Overall "A far better choice in Cogeco land"

·Cogeco Cable
Package: Cable 55 Unlimited - $112.94/month (used to be Cable 30 but was recently changed).

Speed: 55Mbps down/10Mbps up

Term: Been signed up for just over a year

Modem: Technicolor DOCSIS 3 modem

I signed up as soon as Teksavvy was available in my area, I could not stand Cogeco's (lack of) customer service anymore. Setting up the new connection was flawless, on the day the new connection was to be active I came home from work and plugged in the new modem I bought through Teksavvy and everything worked.

Initially there were some growing pains in Oakville area and connection issues here and there but those seem to have smoothed out now and everything is working well.

Customer service and tech support at Teksavvy are very good when I had to use them for the initial issues, always friendly and the tech support knows their stuff well.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Your review

Hello Defiant001 See Profile

Thanks for taking the time to review our services.

We are glad to find out you have been satisfied with our services.

Enjoy them!

Martin

Review by pascals See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Same network as Shaw, much better price (33% less)"
Bad "Ineffective support in case of network issue: not their network, their vendor hates them, end customer suffers the consequences"
Overall "Only sign up if having internet unsuable/down days at a time is acceptable"

Been a customer for a few years without significant issues. There are these little things where their vendor (Shaw in my case) forces Teksavvy to make their customers buy a new modem before upgrading their speed for no valid technical reason (I was using that exact modem on the Shaw network for the same speed just a few months prior). It's part of the game where Shaw attempts to make Teksavvy's life as difficult as possible to avoid competition, and the customer pays the price.

However, the real problems started almost 2 months ago (June 17th): any application using streaming (such as internet radio or voip) became unusable. The symptom is high packet loss: between 20% and 50% most of the time, lower (but not 0) at good times (usually early in the morning).

There were two such episodes when the symptoms appeared resolved for a week or two (the Teksavvy ticket said "Shaw has tested your line"). The third such episode has started 5 days ago. This time I attempted to have customer service drive their tech support because of my previous experiences of ineffectiveness (it took them between 24 and 48 hours just to open the ticket with Shaw *after* all tests were completed -keep in mind that Teksavvy has to involve their vendor in case of network issues since it's not their network). They have not provided any value either. In fact, they just sent me the survey after closing the ticket! Here was my response to them:

"Opened this ticket 5 days ago, was notified that Shaw believed that they needed to dispatch a technician and responded that *any day any time* will work for me within an hour (that was on Aug 3rd!) -OID-254329-Troubleshooting-5664488.

Current status: still no usable internet connection, no update on any resolution or any technician visit, nothing.

I've been having recurring internet issues since June 17th, spent probably 20 hours on the phone with your tech support, experienced all the reasons why it's not effective at driving a resolution, was hoping to have customer service help drive them, no luck here either.

Just look at this customer service ticket for a few defects:

- First it gets closed so as to "not have several agents at the same time overlapping this issue". It appears nobody is doing anything since the issue is not fixed and I haven't even had an update in 4 days.

- Then my "account will be handed over to our account management team. They will open a new ticket with you here, and they will handle any further updates to this issue until the current ticket has been resolved". Haven't heard from anybody.

Meanwhile, I'm alternating between using my phone as a hotspot when I need to work in private and using cafes and libraries the rest of the time.

I was annoyed. Now I'm mad."

Comments:

TSI John

Your Review

Hello,
Thank you for your review. We are looking into this issue and will be with you shortly. I would suggest you remove your account information from your review for security reasons. We will respond to you through the open support ticket.

Review by ju1ce See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Straight Forward Fees, Active Tech Support on Boards"
Bad "Since they are at the mercy of Rogers Teksavvy may not be able to solve your problem"
Overall "Better than the competitors just be aware of possible issues when installing or having issues with the network and accept it"

Got hooked up with Teksavvy when I moved into the GTA region. I called them up to connect and order my modem which was done fairly quickly. We purchased the DCM476 and the Cable 18 Express package.

My modem arrived within 2 days as suggested but the installation side wasn't so smooth.

They (being Rogers) tried to come earlier than the scheduled window, for which I was at work, so I could not make it and I had asked the person to come during the scheduled time. I thought we came to an agreement and instead he did not show up as scheduled so I had to reschedule with Teksavvy. Once the new schedule date was given the person came and got it all up and running.

I knew coming in there may be a problem and that Teksavvy may blame Rogers but reality is since they are the ISP of my choice they need to own up to it period. I think most would agree that some sort of "compensation" should be in order but reality is I don't care because I don't NEED internet as though my life depended on it.

In the end I am satisfied with Teksavvy and would recommend them. I would just caution people that because they are a 3rd party provider it may not always go smooth and you should accept that going into it instead of being belligerent.

Updated --- October 23, 2013

I was down for approximately 9 days (even though I called Teksavvy on day 3 so to them it's 7) at the end of September and beginning of October 2013.

Tech support, from a calling point of view, had very long wait times (first was around 45 minutes, second was 1.5 hours) for speaking with someone. In both times I spoke with the tech support person we tried everything imaginable to get the internet to work. The first time was due to a connection issue between the router and the cable box outside and the second time was a DHCP issue.

The positive was:

- Tech support when finally reaching someone

- I was reimbursed for the 9 days I was down

The negative:

- Long wait times on tech support

- Rescheduled dates 2 times with 1 other being a completely different confirmation date on the same ticket which caused some confusion

- No backup should the internet be down for a long duration, but at your request I believe you can ask for a WIND wireless stick.

The reality is I'm still okay with Teksavvy overall. Can't beat the price, the usage cap, and last but not least the fact they are fighting for our rights.

Updated --- August 1, 2014

I just moved to another place and the transition was very smooth. No problems so far.

The only issue I would say is the cost of the move. Most expensive utility at 65 bucks.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We greatly appreciate it and are always happy to receive feedback.

As far as these random disconnects are concerned would you be able to contact us in the direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can look into this with you?

Also I'm sorry to hear about the rough start you had with us. Do you know if your billing dates were properly adjusted to account for this delayed start? If not we can check on that for you as well.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Thanks a lot for the update! I'd be glad to put through a credit for the two days as we had an IVR letting customers know the issue is in your area- Just message me in the direct so I can get your account information. We appreciate all feedback and will work to continually improve our services.

Cheers!
Liz

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Update!

Hi there!

Glad to hear the move went smoothly for you! Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you run into any issues, we'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Review by Aftcomet See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Pretty much everything."
Bad "Sometimes sales agents don't have the right information. But tech support has always been good."
Overall "I've been with Bell, Rogers, and Teksavvy. TekSavvy is hands down the best by a long shot."

I've had TekSavvy for over 7 years. I think that's a testament to itself. I can count on one hand how many times I've had an issue with them over that time period (which were always resolved). I started with DSL but moved to cable because you got higher speeds for cheaper. I don't even know what to write about. Everything exceeded my expectations (and I'm not one easy to please either). I think it's a shame that Bell and Rogers exist at all. The experience has been top notch from top to bottom. I have zero complaints.

My only wish now is for TekSavvy to succeed further WHILE REMAINING THE SAME.

If you're contemplating getting TekSavvy services, DO IT WITH THE UTMOST CONFIDENCE.

member for 5.4 years, 198 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Aftcomet,

Thank you for the great review of TekSavvy. I am thrilled to see that you have enjoyed the service for many years with minimal issue. I am happy to see you have tried both our internet offerings available and have settled with the Cable internet.

Thank you again for this great review. Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy Journey. If you have any questions or concerns we can always be reached in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct .

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by stevenmm See Profile

• Location: Dundas,ON
Good "Price, Tech Support Reps, Customer Service"
Bad "Install by Cogeco Tech, Teksavvy tech support wait times."
Overall "Great Value for your money, reliable service."

I have had Teksavvy Cable Internet service for 4 months; I am a very satisfied customer. Unfortunately I have decided to go back to Bell because I am getting their Fibe television service. I will keep Teksavvy in mind in the future if I ever leave Bell.

Customer Service:

My Teksavvy interaction with customer service was great since the beginning. They helped me pick my package and modem, and informed me how everything works. When I decided I was leaving to go back to Bell the customer service rep was understanding, and helped me pick the cancellation date, so I would save money. Customer service reps are friendly and professional.

Install:

When I had my service installed I had a Cogeco Tech guy came who was pretty rude. He hooked a wire into wall, the shortest one possible, and said you have to stick your modem there, and walked out. Heck I'm even a Cogeco Cable customer you figure he would have treated me better. I do not blame Teksavvy for that, they can't control what the tech reps from these companies do, they are at the mercy of them.

After the service was installed someone from Teksavvy called to make sure everything went ok. That was the first time I ever had someone call from a company to follow up on an install. I informed them about my experience with the Cogeco and he was very apologetic.

I had a problem with my internet going down, I called tech support and they worked on the problem with me, and we got my internet back up and running. The only thing I did not like about calling Tech support is the wait times. However when you get through to them they are very friendly and helpful. I have not had any problem after that with my internet unless there was real bad weather and the line was down.

I recommend Teksavvy Solutions for your internet needs they have great customer service, and reasonable prices. Tech support wait times need to be improved however from reading the Teksavvy forum on dslreports.com they are training more tech support reps, so wait times should go down in the future. I will defiantly return to Teksavvy in the future if I leave Bell.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Thanks for the great review.

Hello stevenmm See Profile

Thank you very much for the clear, concise, positive feedback.

As for the wait time, yes we are getting new hires to help bring this down. Most likely you called in the evening where things typically pick up in regards to the amount of calls we get.

We wish you the best with your new provider. By all means, if you ever feel the need to come back, let us know & we will continue to do our best to help you out.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

Review by Noxin See Profile

Good "In Montreal it was fantastic - 3 day installation and solid connection."
Bad "17 days and counting, NO SERVICE - POSTPONED DATES - MISINFORMATION"
Overall "Pick anyone else - this is beyond unreasonable."

Update:

19 days and counting, the 2nd tech (Shaw) and found an issue with the line, at which he replaced and said all that was left was to activate the service which can be done remotely (which is collaborated by an access denied error and various other sources). I called and received the same information from support and that they placed a ticket for the activation. 2 hours later I receive a call from support once again where I assume a less experienced agent who wants to send yet another technician (requiring a 3rd day off of work for me) to "activate" the line - which already has a signal as confirmed by support and the tech who was here today. My service is still disabled and they can't flip a flag on the service database they are using to handle it. Now closer to 700$ out of pocket (work lost waiting for the no-show + taking off all today) and cost of activation. I sincerely hope this review saves someone else from making the same mistake. I'd get a refund and swap carriers, but that would just likely add another week to this saga.

Original review Follows:

I ordered and payed 172$ on the 3rd of July with their initial estimate being the 8th.

I received a call on the 5th saying that the installation will occur on the 17th... Which was terrible considering various local ISPs have offers for seamless transitions, but manageable.

The 17th arrives with not a WORD until gone 6 pm at night saying they couldn't find the location, which leads me to believe either they don't have google maps nor gps, since I provided address, city and postal code. This was then postponed yet again to the 23rd. At this point I am pissed off, and rightfully so since I have now payed upfront for a service that I will not see during the month I payed for it AND I require it to work from home (costing me $$$). They tell me a tech will be dispatched on the 20th in the usual 4 hour window ISPs agree they can subject people to, so I wake up early, take the 4 hours off for... NOTHING, a complete no show.

I leave at the end of the window since I CAN'T work from home, having written all IP address, SSID, mac addresses relevant to the tech should the tech actually show up, and once I arrive at work, I find a missed call (time stamped 15 minutes after the window) and rush back. The tech hasn't "flagged" the line (the administrative reason that I was provided by TS support on my first of *3 calls* why they couldn't provision remotely - which from former telus tech I know is completely without technical reason), preformed ANY work, nor left ANY message.

To ANYONE who sees this, go with ANY of the competitors. Teksavvy is NOT worth it in the west. Light-speed was recommended by friends, if this isn't resolved in the next day or so, I am demanding a full refund and going with them.

Any and all positive view I had of this company is gone, its pricing isn't even that competitive anymore.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Good morning Noxin,

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. If you could please post in the direct forum with your account information. I would like to take a look and see if we can assist.

»TekSavvy Direct

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Review Update

Hi there,

We would love to review your account so we can take action to make things better however we have no idea who you are. As Jon mentioned before when you posted your original review, if you could post in the direct that would allow us to get the information we need to work on this.

Thanks,

Andre
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
Cubytus

join:2007-08-24
·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage
·Skype

Don't subscribe to cable Internet

Don't forget cable internet always go to Videotron's pipe. They won't share any updates, ETA or anything relevant to third-party resellers, and Teksavvy has to pick up their crap. Other independent resellers have simply stopped offering cable internet because of this. I strongly discourage anyone to subscribe to cable Internet because of Videotron's contempt. They are the company to blame, not TSI.

Review by ltpenguin See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "They have great staff on the Direct forum! No more waiting on hold :P"
Bad "Rogers needs to install can be a pain :I Update: they no longer require a technician in most cases"
Overall "It is a great value."

Would recommend especially if you are reading this on DSLReports. They have a great group in the Direct support forum. I never need to call in and be on hold for 30mins The worst part is having setup done by Rogers which is a pain to schedule but once setup it is great Total monthly cost included taxes

member for 1.7 years, 330 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Kind words, the BEST gift on a Monday!

Thank you very much for the kind words! We're always glad to help in any capacity that we can! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can let us know in the Direct forum!

Thanks again for the kudos, and hope you enjoy your Monday!

TSI Joe

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two years (currently July 2014), and I have not had to have any interaction with them since requesting the upgrade from 3M to 6M more than a year ago. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.5 years, 801 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Thanks again
Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by Jeebus99 See Profile

• Location: Dawson Creek,BC
Bad "extremely poor service"
Overall "if you are unable to provide the service paid for, maybe you should stop selling it"

Extremely unhappy with the so-called "service".

Ordered cable on June 27th to upgrade from my current TSI DSL. Waited for a week supposedly for the vendor to reply (even though they are supposedly required to reply within 48 hours if I am not mistaken).

The order was refused by the cable company because they did not know if the connection was for the main floor or the basement, even though the main floor has not been connected in probably 15 or 20 years and is not even connected to the cable box (disconnected by Shaw themselves many many years ago).

Called and confirmed with TSI that the connection should be the basement. TSI gave me an install date with the same ridiculous 4 hour window that everyone hates so much. On the day of the install nobody bothered to show up. This is confirmed by security video on the property, and by the substandard old tan cable still connected to the cable box that should have been replaced if a tech had actually showed up.

After the no-show I called TSI again and they put in "troubleshooting" ticket since the cable was not working. Apparently, Shaw has said the service was performed even though it was not. The ticket that was put in by TSI has again been sitting with no response for almost a week.

The bill was paid on the day the order was placed, yet 17 days later I still have no service, as well as a new modem that TSI sold me that is totally useless with no cable service.

The tech support column in the review also received the lowest marks. The TSI staff was very friendly, but there have just been repeated promises to have things "looked into", since nothing has actually been accomplished I can't give any marks for the support.

Comments:

TSI John

2 edits

Your Review

Hello,
My name is John. I am one of two Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. I would be happy to look into this issue for you to see if there is anything I can do to resolve it. I am reviewing your account and will be back with you shortly.

Re: Your Review

Hello,
I reviewed your account and spoke with the leader of the team responsible for handling your issue. The Team leader is having one of his team call you shortly.

fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

There is teksavvy in Dawson Creek?

Consider yourself lucky that you have a third alternative.