TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by recneps See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Speed and bandwidth for $, no money for Bell."
Bad "Slight delay in getting issues fixed"
Overall "I'd take them over robbers any day."

I've been with Teksavvy DSL for 5 years without issue, cable has been the same so far.
$54 all-in gets me a more than adequate 24+ mbps and 300GB data per month.
Peak slowdowns aren't really an issue for my neighbourhood, nor do I experience it from TSI's end to much extent. I'd estimate I get at least 20mbps, even at the worst times. The majority of time I'm receiving the full rated speed.
Have not noticed any downtime in 3 months, which is also good news.

One year update: a couple minor outages, most I didn't even notice.
It's been up every time I needed it (e.g. working from home over vpn) and has been consistently fast.
My good rating still holds.
Especially with a speed increase to 28 for the same money, and potential future speed upgrade (hopefully for same price as well)

Two year update:
Had a signal issue with my modem/line. While there were a couple days in limbo thanks to response time from rogers, I was back up and running (tech visited home and adjusted signal) within a week of reporting the issue.
Upgraded more or less laterally from 28/1 to 25/2, getting essentially the same level of service for $10 less per month.
Very few outages outside of my signal problem, still happy.

member for 7.8 years, 2023 visits, last login: 10 days ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review and words of support.

Good to hear you are enjoying the service. We do strive to be Different in a Good Way!

TSI Alan
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

member for 1.6 years, 528 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by Molsenolsen See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Friends and family have service and they say its good"
Bad "install times for Burlington/cogeco"
Overall "Will let you know"

So I called TekSavvy on Oct 17th 2013 and asked to set up their cable interent service, they were more than helpful in checking that I could get their service in my area and sending out the cable box.

HOWEVER

They say that because of Cogeco being behind on installation they can not get a tech out untill NOV 13th!!!!!!

I've called and also used their online chat to inquire if their are any cancellations. And each time with literally no time inbetween the question and answer, I'm given a "well Cogeco is behind blame them not us" and "Nope nothing earlier" ( their quick response seems to be a blanket answer, as well because of the no delay answer I can only assume they are not checking)

I had a friend who called to set his up about a week prior to mine and when he asked for the latest possible date, the rep on the phone said that no one ever asks for late dates so he would have someone out the next day at 8am. ridiculous.

Either way the price and service sounds good, however if you want TekSavvy you should order it about a month ahead of time, Hopefully I will have more to report, going to check out the competition in the mean time.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Molsenolsen,

Thank you for the review! We do apologize for any inconvenience with scheduling appointments with our vendor. We do have to follow their schedule in regards to when technicians will be available. We unfortunately do not get the option to ask for earlier dates then the vendor are providing, we also cannot ask for dates that may be cancelled by other customer’s. These things unfortunately are not an option for us in regards to scheduling with our vendors. We do certainly apologize for any inconvenience for the scheduling. In regards to your friend who was able to receive service the next day it sounds like he went directly with the incumbent that are able to schedule their customer’s a bit sooner than TekSavvy customers. TekSavvy doesn’t receive next day appointments from our vendors.

Thank you again for this review and please keep us posted on your connection.

Molsenolsen

join:2013-10-29
Burlington, ON

Re: Review

Well than Ashleigh I would appreciate the honesty you provided about not being able to see if you can bump up appointments. This means that over the past four times I've contacted Tek Savvy a employee has just humored me or straight up lied about checking for me. My friend had scheduled service WITH TekSavvy, when they didn't show he complained asked for a later date the put him in for the following day. So also this story doesn't line up. I'm just wondering how many lies can continue before I need to look at going with a different provider.

Review by Fraoch See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Seamless switchover, high caps, good value for money"
Bad "Upfront cost high, requires modem purchase and connection fee"
Overall "Good, responsive ISP, refreshingly different than belligerent corporate ISPs"

I have been on Rogers for a number of years. I couldn't really fault their Internet service technically, there were probably only 2 hour-long outages in 5 years. But what was bothering me about Rogers was:

- modem rental fees

- yearly cost increases

- caps

The final straw was when we discovered Netflix. Suddenly our bandwidth usage increased and those caps seemed quite restrictive. What's more, the old DOCSIS 2.0 modem we were renting caused Rogers to restrict our cap to 60 GB from 80 GB (why? A slower modem has no impact on usage! We'd just get to the cap slower!)

When they wanted to charge me more per month to get the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get the 80 GB cap, I had it.

TekSavvy provides 300 GB caps, or unlimited. I am getting 28/1 as opposed to 12/0.5 for $5 less/month with Rogers' latest cost increase - add the modem rental fee and it's $9 less/month.

The upfront costs are high - the modem must be purchased, plus the install fee plus the first month or service is a hefty charge. However you own the modem forever and can sell it. And it's not one of those crappy all-in-one locked-down "wireless gateway" units that Rogers forces you to accept, it's a simple modem, nothing more.

The switchover went perfectly, and that was over the Easter long weekend. I just unplugged the Rogers modem, plugged in the new TekSavvy-supplied Technicolor DCM476, waited a minute until it connected, got a new IP through my router and that was it. I power-cycled the modem later and it received a new speed profile - all my speed tests indicated I was getting what I was paying for, often considerably more (with Rogers "Speedboost", which I can still get).

As a company, TekSavvy is much more refreshing to deal with. Rogers is a big closed-down corporate juggernaut where you can't find honest answers. TekSavvy is incredibly open and honest. Take a look at these forums, when was the last time you saw Rogers' CEO participating? Never! TSI Marc, TekSavvy's CEO, has 5500 posts here. He - and the entire company - are more techno-geek types like me rather than the corporate bigwigs that make up Rogers. Just take a look at them giddily installing a Cisco 7000 on their YouTube channel, where have you ever seen transparency like that at Rogers?

Another good thing - with TekSavvy it's the same price for everybody. With Rogers it was getting like buying a used car. You can get a good deal with Rogers if your negotiating skills are good enough and the CSR is in a good mood. In fact, once I mentioned I was switching to TekSavvy, Rogers promised me a deal designed to crush anything TekSavvy could offer. Why didn't they do this when I was a long-time paying customer?

And TekSavvy will shortly be introducing new speed tiers at great prices. I'm eagerly awaiting June 10th when I can upgrade to 35/3 for just $3 more per month, or I can pay just $1 less/month than what I was paying Rogers before (including the modem rental) and get 45/4!

TekSavvy makes me feel good about my ISP again! I'm getting good value for the money. They are honest people to deal with who are providing a good service for my money rather than trying simply to maximize their profits while minimizing my service with my money.

Update: I upgraded to 35/3 and things have continued well since.

Comments:

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
join:2008-06-03

Thanks!

Hi Fraoch,

Thank you for taking the time to review our services on DSLr.

Welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Cheers,

Andre

Review by ghent123 See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Value for the money is great, but Marc and other support staff being very active on the DSLr forums is just the cherry on top."
Bad "Any issues that requires rogers to look into more in depth can take some time, but knew that getting into it anyways"
Overall "For the price you can't beat what you get from it."

I've been with TekSavvys for just over 2 years now.
Since that I believe I had a few issues.
1. was I had the old 475 frame ware 2.08 which caused many error and reboots of the modem. After talking with TekSavvys about it and going through the troubleshooting anything else that could be causing the issue. At the end of the day TekSavvy sent me a modem with the updated frame ware and I sent the old one back once I was up and running. No cost to me.
For gaming it was a nightmare during the time, but couldn't blame TekSavvys for it since it was an upgrade done to rogers network that caused all the issue in the first place.

2. During my move to my new place the move dates got changed at the last min since the place wasn't ready yet. 5 days until I was meant to be moved I had to call TekSavvys and was told it was short notice and unsure if they can cancel the move request.
Sure enough it wasn't enough time took about a week to get my cable back up, but they credited me the move order for my troubles which was great. Wasn't teksavvys fault or rogers, but was on my end.

Network has gone down a few time but normal only do to rogers doing updates to my POI or lines in the area, normal don't find out until it happens and I call in to see what is going on but isn't long.

Some people have had some major issues on the POI I'm on St. Laurent POI in Ottawa but I haven't had most of the issues people have been having.

Always been having the speeds I've being paying for or better (28/1). Even during peak hours not many slow downs.

I'm looking forward the upgrades this summer and better upload speeds.

Just wish the CRTC would fully see what is going on with internet in Canada and be more helpfully towards customers and make it a better market for us all.

Last but not least TekSavvys is still growing and yes there phone ques can be a bit high at some times at least there is help on the DSLr forums for some issues and in the direct forums and doing a lot of work on myworld to make a lot more things easier and quicker without having call in.

member for 2.3 years, 540 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for the feedback in concerns to the overall performance of your services, and glad to hear that you are happy with the service. In concerns to our phone times we are hiring again, so this should be alleviated soon.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and feel free to get a hold of us anytime!

Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by ju1ce See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Straight Forward Fees, Active Tech Support on Boards"
Bad "Since they are at the mercy of Rogers Teksavvy may not be able to solve your problem"
Overall "Better than the competitors just be aware of possible issues when installing or having issues with the network and accept it"

Got hooked up with Teksavvy when I moved into the GTA region. I called them up to connect and order my modem which was done fairly quickly. We purchased the DCM476 and the Cable 18 Express package.

My modem arrived within 2 days as suggested but the installation side wasn't so smooth.

They (being Rogers) tried to come earlier than the scheduled window, for which I was at work, so I could not make it and I had asked the person to come during the scheduled time. I thought we came to an agreement and instead he did not show up as scheduled so I had to reschedule with Teksavvy. Once the new schedule date was given the person came and got it all up and running.

I knew coming in there may be a problem and that Teksavvy may blame Rogers but reality is since they are the ISP of my choice they need to own up to it period. I think most would agree that some sort of "compensation" should be in order but reality is I don't care because I don't NEED internet as though my life depended on it.

In the end I am satisfied with Teksavvy and would recommend them. I would just caution people that because they are a 3rd party provider it may not always go smooth and you should accept that going into it instead of being belligerent.

Updated --- October 23, 2013

I was down for approximately 9 days (even though I called Teksavvy on day 3 so to them it's 7) at the end of September and beginning of October 2013.

Tech support, from a calling point of view, had very long wait times (first was around 45 minutes, second was 1.5 hours) for speaking with someone. In both times I spoke with the tech support person we tried everything imaginable to get the internet to work. The first time was due to a connection issue between the router and the cable box outside and the second time was a DHCP issue.

The positive was:

- Tech support when finally reaching someone

- I am going to be reimbursed for the 7 days (since there is no proof of the 2 days prior so I would suggest calling in the moment your internet is down)

The negative:

- Long wait times on tech support

- Rescheduled dates 2 times with 1 other being a completely different confirmation date on the same ticket which caused some confusion

- No backup should the internet be down for a long duration, but at your request I believe you can ask for a WIND wireless stick.

The reality is I'm still okay with Teksavvy overall. Can't beat the price, the usage cap, and last but not least the fact they are fighting for our rights.

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We greatly appreciate it and are always happy to receive feedback.

As far as these random disconnects are concerned would you be able to contact us in the direct forum here: »TekSavvy Direct so we can look into this with you?

Also I'm sorry to hear about the rough start you had with us. Do you know if your billing dates were properly adjusted to account for this delayed start? If not we can check on that for you as well.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSIElizabeth
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Thanks a lot for the update! I'd be glad to put through a credit for the two days as we had an IVR letting customers know the issue is in your area- Just message me in the direct so I can get your account information. We appreciate all feedback and will work to continually improve our services.

Cheers!
Liz

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Works great, professional staff to talk to."
Overall "Extremely pleased! Great service!"

·TekTalk
Ordered this service beginning of Feb 2013 activated start of March. I disconnected my Rogers modem at 8 am plugged in new modem was up and running in minutes. Originally ordered 18 / 1 package with a DCM 476 modem supplied by Teksavvy.

Switched to new 35 / 3 package in June when APTIA was completed in Cambridge. Took approximately 2 weeks to get new package.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you have been using the service for a few months now without issue. This is wonderful to see. I apologize for the delay in changing your speeds. Generally this is completed within 48 hours however it looks like you made the change when we were having vendor delays. I apologize for that delay.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Review by GFong See Profile

Good "Nothing: Rogers offered me the same price as TekSavvy when I switched"
Bad "Customer service, promised updates, insulting compensation, paying for service they didn't provide"
Overall "AVOID! 21 days without service, was offered to be compensated for only 18 of those days. Promised many things, lied about all."

I was 21 days without internet service from TekSavvy! When the service was back up, they only offered to compensate me for 18 out of those 21 days without reason....I was insulted! When I asked why I need to pay for days that service was not provided all they said was "18 days was all that was approved for". You would think that after THREE WEEKS without service, they would offered me a few months free for my hassle, but instead they insult me by only compensating me for 18 of the 21 days I didn't have service, making me pay for something I wasn't given... it's like STEALING!

For the 21 days I didn't have service, I've been made many promises (free extra month on top of outage days, 48 hour turnarounds to call me back)... none of which were kept. I understand that they use Rogers' infrastructure to provide service, but false promises for compensation, no call backs, no status updates, and an insulting offer at the end: 18 days CREDIT for 21 days of no service (credit would only be offered if I STAYED with TekSavvy...and I still needed to pay for 3 days for service I wasn't provided).

I've documented the past 21 days and have been on the phone with TekSavvy for ~20 hours. I have a CID number and phone logs as proof. My telephone line is VOIP and I've told them this, but they still insist on calling me there for some reason (I would think they would document if someone had VOIP and not call them there if their internet was down).

I will spell out the 21 day nightmare here (I have names and phone extensions of tech support and supervisor names, but I will leave them out... for now)

Day 1 wake up in the morning without service - September 25 (yes, the issue was only resolved yesterday... it was resolved by LEAVING TEKSAVVY!) - Called TekSavvy (30 min wait), was told a 48 hour turnaround to fix the issue

Day 3 - 48 hours later I receive TekSavvy phone call - issue resolved. When I get home, internet doesn't work. Call Tech Support (35 min wait), Tech Support says "I don't know why someone called you when clearly the problem hasn't been solved yet". They need another 48 hours to deal with the issue. We'll contact you within 48 hours.

Day 5 - by the end of the day, no one has contact me. Call Tech Support (30 min wait). Said they will "escalate the issue".... ESCALATION TAKES 48 hours!!! "We'll contact you for sure with an update in 48 hours"

Day 7 - NO ONE contacts me. Call Tech support (20 min wait) I finally become angry and request for the supervisor. Supervisor says "usually customers with issues over 4-5 days are put on a list so they can be given status updates". WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN ON THE LIST???!!! IT'S BEEN 7 DAYS! (I still don't get updates after this). Supervisor promises the following:

- will be compensated for at least 30 days on top of the outage days (DID NOT HAPPEN)

- A MANAGER will call me (DID NOT HAPPEN)

- A MANAGER will talk to me to compensate me more than 1 month since my case has taken an unusual amount of time to get resolved (DID NOT HAPPEN)

Once again issue has been "escalated".. second escalation.

Day 8 - NO ONE contacts me. Call Tech support. They say "I see the escalation...we'll escalate it again, this time we'll contact you within 24 hours". THIRD ESCALATION!!! WHAT DOES ESCALATION EVEN MEAN TO THEM??!!! I tell the supervisor regarding day 7... she said she can't make any promises and dismisses my concern regarding when the internet will be fixed and says that If I leave TekSavvy now, I won't get compensated for the days I didn't have internet (What?!! I need to pay for something I wasn't provided???), unless I stay with them until they fix the issue.

Day 10 - Another supervisor calls me (not manager as promised) - FIRST call I receive since day 3 (which was a call saying my internet was fixed...which obviously it's not)! He assures me they're still working on it and to give him 2 days and he'll personally call me back (he doesn't call and I never hear from him again)

Day 12 - 48 hour turnaround promised...but no one contacts me.

Day 13 - Teksavvy calls me... 1.5 hours turning my modem on and off

Day 14 - repeat of day 13

Day 18 (Thanksgiving weekend) - Calls me, and I'm busy so they leave a voice mail

Day 19 - receive an e-mail saying "If we do not get a response via e-mail or by phone, by either us contacting you or vice versa. Your ticket issue will be considered resolved." WHAT?!!! They call me once and now they're going to "CONSIDER" my issue RESOLVED! I call them and tell them it hasn't been resolved.

Day 21 - By the end of the night no one contacts me. I call tech support (40 min wait), after 30 mins of troubleshooting, internet works! They say they know I'm looking for compensation for the days I've been out of internet. She comes back and offers me 18 days for 21 days of no service!!! I was absolutely insulted, beside the fact that they didn't even offer me anything more for the 3 week nightmare.. their compensation offer was for me to PAY FOR SERVICE I DIDN'T RECEIEVE!!! So they didn't provide me the service and wanted to charge me for it.

I get a supervisor on the line and after another 20 mins, she only offers me 20 days and belittles me by saying that even if I call in again, tech support will see that I've already been offered 20 days and no one will give me more than that. I do call in again to tech support (25 min wait), and after some time, they give me 21 days of compensation. I tell them that I'm unhappy with their service and the promises that they made and I'll be leaving TekSavvy... and they say "the 21 day compensation is a CREDIT, and will receive it on your next bill, if you leave now, you won't get the credit". So now after 3 weeks of headache, they say they won't give me my money for a service I wasn't provided. After at total of 2 hours on the phone with them... they SAID they'll write me a cheque for 21 days... I left TekSavvy, it's not worth the headache.

Day 22 - Day after cancellation (today). I called TekSavvy-Accounts knowing their tendency to deliver false promises, I wanted to make sure. They said they won't be writing me a refund cheque for 21 days since the system still says it's only a CREDIT if I stay with TekSavvy (but I've already cancelled the service). Why do I need to keep checking up on them to make sure things are done properly??!!!

- 6 promised phone calls that I didn't receive

- Contact by a manager to discuss my situation which did not happen

- A promise to be put on a contact list for "prolonged no service scenarios" like mine, did not happen

- Compensation that was promised that was not delivered

- The nerve to e-mail (during a long weekend) informing me that if I didn't contact them that they would consider my issue resolved (considering all the promised phone calls from them)

- Making me pay for a service they didn't provide and offering an insulting 18 day CREDIT compensation after 21 days of NO SERVICE

- After hours of waiting and talking to "higher ups", they "said" they'll refund me 21 days in the form of a written cheque, however, when I called in to confirm the next day, it's still only a 21 day "credit" if I stay with them... another lie (They promised me a cheque in the mail and I've already cancelled my services, how would I use the credit?)... need to waste more time calling them to do their jobs properly and ensuring they deliver on what they promise.

BEWARE of their false promises and insulting compensations! I bought a modem from them only a year ago, can't use it at Rogers, now it's just a paper weight.

Comments:

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hey there,

Thank you for your feedback! I'd first like to apologize for this situation, I can assure you that this is a rare occurrence that is not taken lightly.

Now since I do not have any account information I cannot confirm that this is indeed the case for your account, but generally speaking we advise a customer 48 hours as that is what Rogers requests from us. Since we are a reseller we are required to give them 48 hours to process the information we've sent to them in regards to the repair.

If they respond to us saying the issue is resolved we will let you know that the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately since we rely on them to complete the repair we cannot definitively determine if the issue has indeed been resolved without speaking with you. This is why we'd report the issue resolved when indeed it is not.

In regards to the credit, I'm not sure why my colleagues would only offer 18 days of credit for something that took 21 days to resolve. Would it be possible for you to post in the DSLR TekSavvy Direct forum with your previous account info so I can look in to what happened here so I could provide you with a better, more detailed explanation.

Unfortunately without account info I can only provide a very limited explanation and information.

Regards,
Jon

Re: Review

For you to "confirm this is indeed the case":

I understand the 48 hour turnaround since you are a reseller. I was surprised when tech support said "I don't know why someone called you when clearly the problem hasn't been solved yet" and all the times that someone was supposed to call me regarding my internet status but didn't. The supervisors apologized but it continued to happen afterwards.

I'm not sure why they offered me 18 days either, that's something you can look into.

Hello GFong,

Thank you for the account information. I have reviewed your account and I see the credit for 21 days was added to your account. It will be sent out by cheque for you, you will receive that shortly and cheques are sent out on Fridays. In regards to not receiving credit if we are not given the opportunity to troubleshoot and fix the issue; you were absolutely informed correctly. In the terms and conditions that you agree to three times when we are setting up your account you are informed of this. We also email you a copy of the terms and conditions when you first sign up for service with us so you can review them. Without agreement to these terms your account would not have been set up.

In regards to not receiving follow up on your account when requested. I see your account was with our case management team and they attempted to contact you almost every day from October 7th until October 14th, 2013. Every note left on your account says they reached your voice-mail, these notes also indicate the case management team left messages for you to call back as they were unable to reach you directly. When they were unable to reach you after a week of trying to contact you, they sent you an email stating they were no longer following your account; as they were unable to contact you after multiple attempts. Our case management team is the team you were told you were going to be contacted by and they would be following your account. They did have your account and they were following for a resolution.

I do apologize you are upset with this situation and we certainly do regret to lose you as a customer however when reviewing your account it looks like everything you were looking for was addressed and completed on your account.

Anymore questions please let us know through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to assist.

Re: Review

To clarify your above mentioned credit situation. I was given a 21 day credit after 3 hours of arguing with 3 different people and calling twice (waiting in the queue again) to speak to another representative after the 1st and 2nd one would not give me my 21 days of credit. You can be honest on this forum.... check the account, I was originally offered 18 days, and then 20 days and then finally 21 days with some more arguing.

Also, as written in my original note, I use VOIP which I informed the tech support staff MULTIPLE times, and as you know if I don't have internet, you can't reach me at my house line... OF COURSE it will goto my voicemail. And as you also said you only tried to reach me October 7th which was already my 13th day without service.

I didn't expect this type of customer service from TekSavvy, I spoke highly of TekSavvy until this incident.
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine

said by GFong:

You really have to understand the limitations of VOIP and as such have alternatives. ie FORWARD OR RING GROUP YOUR CALLS TO A CELL PHONE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE.

If your voip was unreliable, you should have given them an alternative phone number.

Sorry about your service being disrupted though. I do know that hardware will fail and it can be aggravating to diagnose what is going wrong with your system.

In an ideal situation, it's best to have backup hardware, but that is a lot of wasted money sitting around doing nothing.

1 day of service I would have gone crazy, so I feel for you.

How long had you had service for with teksavvy? Are you in a 'new' territory?

Re: Review

I understand the limitations of VOIP. It wasn't my VOIP that was unreliable, but I can't use it if there's no internet connection. TekSavvy does has my cell phone number but decided not to call it.

I was with TekSavvy for 1 year and 3 months, I heard good things about them so I switched over from Rogers but now I've switched back.
Expand your moderator at work
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Review

That's too bad. It's my experience that once something gets fixed in a catastrophic situation like this, almost nothing ever bad happens again. After that point it's time to reap the rewards.

I don't know what your region charges, but for my $30, I get twice the cap size for half the cost compared to shaw, and I get double the speed for half the cost of what Telus charges.

So from my viewpoint, I expect horrible customer service, and I'll take it gladly if I get a reduction in internet service costs.

Disregarding the service interruption of which 21 days is just too long, you did prove though that calling in isn't necessarily the best thing to do. If I ever have a problem like this. I"m going to the direct forum to get my issues solved. Call service is spotty depending on the person trained on the other end. The forum while slow, documents everything.

Review by redlaten See Profile

Good "None"
Bad "Poor response time (7days), Dependent on Rogers, Cannot Diagnose problem unless you are home"
Overall "Do not get this crappy ISP"

This is the crappiest ISP I have ever known.

They say their response time is 1 day but actually their resolution time is 7 days. When you call, (wait time is 1hour 3mins) you need to follow all their instructions and read the outputs so they can "log in the records" so they can escalate to Rogers (can't they read the modem settings from their end?). This means even if you have already told them all their modem lights are out except the power light and that you have properly power cycled the modem, you still need to go through their ritual to get a technician service your line. If you cannot be home to do all their ritual checks, you can't be serviced.

Since by this time it is obvious the service was dead, they said they will schedule a Rogers technician to come over, they will give you three options on three separate business days. I have done this type of call 4 times this year and all the time they will say Rogers had selected the last available date (so including Saturday and Sunday) which is actually the 6th day already that you had no connection.

After the reconnection they called back 2 days after. I said the connection this time was intermittent but they said they cannot diagnose if I'm not at home. Another call to them with similar long wait time upon reaching the house they would say they will schedule again, of course they chose to service it 1 week after the call again.

In just less than a year, I have had 5 service requests and still my internet is still not working right. I use the internet to telecommute and these people don't really care that you are not able to do so because they won't do their jobs properly.

I'm planning to switch to Start Communications. Hopefully they will be a better ISP.

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

re: your review

Thank you for leaving your review. I apologize that the service did not fit your needs.

The troubleshooting we do when you are having an issue with your internet is required by the vendors to dispatch a technician. It would be the same with any ISp, including the vendors themselves.

I apologize that the the time to get a technician out to your location to fix the issue was longer than we'd like, but with issues in several major centres we do push to get the soonest dispatches that we can.

If you would like us to have a look at your account, could you please post your informaton in our Direct Support forum:
»TekSavvy Direct

Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·TekSavvy Cable
ALL providers use ROGERS or Bell or whoever the local cable/phone company is. If you want full end to end service, you have to pay extra and use Bell or Rogers directly. This is how the CRTC set up the system, and just how it works. This doesn't downplay any issues you have, but it's not a fault of Teksavvy that Rogers or Bell are not playing ball. You can thank the system currently setup. This is why there is a complaint currently at the CRTC.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
What makes you think Start will be any better ? They use Robbers as well . TSI seems to be their target right now as they see them as competition . But that could change any day ....

Review by JWB See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great People, Low Price, High Bandwidth and I Get to Support 'The Little Guy'"
Bad "Subject to Incumbent Abuse on the 'Last Mile'"
Overall "I Sould Have Switched Sooner - Much Sooner!"

And so draws to an end my second day with my new ISP ..... Teksavvy, TS. So what do I think so far? Well, read on and find out!

On My Last ISP

Yea I know, this should be about my new ISP, but it’s my ink and my paper so I’ll put here what I want to! OK?!

Years ago my father gave me some advice which for most of my life I've chosen to follow, straying occasionally, but generally heeding his words .... "If you can't say anything nice about someone it's best not to say anything at all". So, regarding my last, Ontario based ISP I'll simply abide by his advice, say nothing, and make him proud!

Now, that said and out of the way, I just want to tell you a few things about that outfit that I just left........naw, can’t do it, just can't bring myself to do it!!

On Ordering from TS

Immediately upon giving my last ISP the 30 day notice I was on the blower with TS speaking with a customer rep named Amy, my memory serving me correctly. She was very nice to speak with, polite and attentive to what I was saying. When I told her I was considering the 35Mbps x 300Gb/mo plan she inquired as to what I would be using the internet for. I responded to her question and she advised me that I would probably find the 25Mbps x 300 GB/mo adequate for my needs, if it didn't work out, we could always upgrade. Imagine that, a customer service rep 'downselling'! (The last joker I was doing business would never do that, trust me!) I took her advice and the rest of our conversation went smoothly. I was advised of the terms and conditions and the costs involved all of which I agreed with and settled with a credit card.

Within an hour I received an e-mail confirmation re my conversation with Amy and I responded accordingly.

A day or two later the modem arrived at the local post office and I picked it up.

A couple of days following my conversation with Amy I received a phone call from another TS rep who again confirmed my personal details and order. After this conversation I sat back and waited.

A week or so passed before I received a third call, this time advising me that my last ISP would not accept TS’s request for a simple change over, ie a modem swap out as they said they had no record of my address having their internet service installed. Strange, let me assure you that their billing department sure had the address down pat and had it for a decade plus or minus! Whatever, this was not a real problem for TS who advised me they would simply withdrew their initial request for a modem swap and in place enter a request for a new service installation at my residence.

The next day another call came advising that everything was again on track and I was given three possible dates for the tech to come and the timeframes to choose from. I selected the date immediately following my termination date with my last ISP and requested the 08:00 am – 11:00 am timeframe.

I heard nothing else until yesterday morning when the installation tech arrived in my driveway and from there it all went down like poop through a goose! The tech, contracted by my last ISP, showed up within minutes of 08:00 and he was great, couldn't have been a nicer guy! He checked the box outside my house, removed a non-required splitter left there some years back, cleaned the ground connection and put a new orange tag on the line. Next, in the house, he set up the modem and my router. Within fifteen minutes I was up and running!

But wait! To my surprise I wasn’t finished, or perhaps better said, my last ISP wasn’t finished. Around noon I received another knock on my door. It was a second tech, also a contract person working for my last ISP, who had been sent out to place a blue tag on my line. Unbelievable! This led me to wondering just what was wrong with the first tech doing that, why one tech for orange tags and one for blue, somebody color blind or does my old ISP have money to burn? Whatever.......

The Service

I’ve been connected at this point for near 36 hours, all is as stable as had been with the last incumbent’s service. Browsing, e-mail, Netflix, all moving along as one would expect. Couldn’t ask for anything better, very pleased indeed! And oh, the speed, just a hair, a blond one at that, below advertised. I guess a nit picker would be on the trumpet to TS complaining, but I ain't no trumpet player!

Summary

So, there it is for what it’s worth. I look forward to a continued good relationship with TS well into the future. Thank you to all TS staff for making this possible, two big thumbs up!

PS

Connection Reliability, Technical Support and Services not rated, would be premature at this point.....

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Jwb,

Thank you for the wonderful review!!! I am very happy to have been enjoying the service for a few days now. I am also very happy that there was no issue with your installation, I am delighted to see that there was follow-up with you while we were scheduling the appointment. I am also happy to see the technician that came to your home ensured everything was connected and working and was friendly.

If you have any questions or concerns please send us a message through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct we are always happy to help!

Thanks again for this great review and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy services.

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
·Start Communicat..

Re: Review

The orange tag is for TPIA... however the blue tag means service disconnection! This means the tech has placed a tag authorizing whoever comes back to cut your entire houses cable!

There is a TPIA tag, and he may just hook it up to the TPIA signal, but if you want to make sure, put a piece of paper in a ziplock bag or something like that, and tape it onto the demarc saying:

TPIA SERVICE: DO NOT DISCONNECT.
JWB

join:2013-09-12
Canada

Re: Review

I only have one cable in the box, it's the TPIA service. No TV cable at all, it got the 'deep six' years back. For TV I use Shaw satellite, no wires in box for them...... I will also do as you note, thanks!