TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by dan_n256 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Great value! good speeds and good serive "
Bad "Had a few hickups with connection. overall very stable "
Overall "If you are shopping for internet teksavvy should be the one to get"

Ordered unlimited package two years ago, plans have changed since then. first plan I was with I was paying $60 a month for 28megabit unlimited I went to 45megabit 300gb capped which costs $56.

the change only took two days to complete. I average 200gb per month so I am ok with bandwidth. my connection went down a couple of times over the past two years it was only down for a little while. speeds have always been great as advertised. the bottom line is teksavvy is a really good isp. maybe the only thing I would like to see is 45megabit connection with unlimited bandwidth for around the same price im paying right now.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Dan_n256,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see that you have been enjoying your service for a few years with minimal issue. This is wonderful to see. I am also happy to see you were able to upgrade into our newly introduced Cable speed once it was introduced.

If you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help you.

Ashleigh

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Bandwidth."
Bad "Depends on Rogers."
Overall "If it works for you, then it's worth it."

Had ups and downs but overall, I am satisfied with Teksavvy Internet Cable. Currently on 25/2 plan with 300gb.

Comments:

TSI Martin
Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Erfan,

I see the review says there was an update, but it doesn't show anything since October 2012. I also see that there is no communication with you since Sept 2012. Was there something we can do to help?

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Erfans,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to see you are still enjoying the service. This is great to see. Reading through the other comments on this review I see there were a few issues with your phone service; I do regret to see this but am happy TSI-Martin was able to assist and ensure everything was corrected for you while the issue was occurring.

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review and have a great night!!

Review by Max See Profile

• Location: Saint-Felicien,QC
Good "Best pricing in the market; excellent performance and reliability so far."
Bad "Inconsistent tech support with quite long waiting times."
Overall "Awesome price and reliability. However, having experienced tech support, I hope i won't ever have issues..."

So far, my experience with Teksavvy is great, except for a very bad case of tech support (which ended well). Let's put that aside right now: so far, TekSavvy's big flaw seems to be the tech support: when the Videotron guy came to activate the cable, he had to install a new cable, and while doing so, drilled right through our Satellite TV cable. We only noticed after he was gone. Anyways, calling at TekSavvy to enquire what to do about this situation led me to many different (often contradicting) answers. It ended with a supervisor who obviously had a bad day and completely refused to listen to anything I would say, interrupting me many times; he was very condescending and insulting during the whole conversation. That was by far my worst customer service experience ever. The only reason why I rated the support 25% instead of 0% is that despite this, most people actually looked like they were honestly trying their best to help me with this special situation.

Anyways, I got lucky and the guy from the satellite TV repaired the cable for free. However, despite spending hours talking to support (and even accounting) about this, I still have no idea about what I should have done if the satellite company charged me for the repair. Oh, and the wait time before talking to someone averaged 45 mins, which is quite long.

Ok, enough with the bad. Other than that very bad experience, I haven't had a single downtime yet (in over 60 days). The many speed tests I did over this time show that I have a very consistent 20/10 internet, which is exactly what I am paying for. At only 39,95$/month (+tax) for this, with a 150GB monthly bandwidth (unlimited during the night), that's by far the best package I could get here, at over 150km away from any city with a population over 50 000. Interesting thing: my ping is better here than the one I had with another cable ISP while I lived in a 120 000 population city much closer to the main internet backbone.

In conclusion, so far, I had no major issue, so everything is perfect. However, I do admit that I am a bit scared of what will happen if someday I do have serious issues...

2014-04-10 UPDATE

About 7 months with TekSavvy now, and I must say: this has to be the most reliable internet I've had so far. Since we got it working on day 1, I spent many (too many!) hours using internet, and I didn't notice a single minute of downtime. Only once I got a drop in speed (from 20Mbps to 1,5 Mbps!). However, I think that drop was caused by the cable modem getting lazy or something, since everything went back to perfect as soon as I rebooted it.

As you may guess, I did not have to communicate with the tech support, so I can't say if things got better over there. I have to mention that since the time of my original review, my 150Gb 20/10 package's price rose up to 42,95$/month (+tax). Still a great value, as long as price increases such as this one are a rare occurrence.

P.S. could some moderator remove the comment from Toddy? I don't see why he would post it under my review...

member for 1 year, 18 visits, last login: 110 days ago

Comments:

Flux

join:2013-07-10
canada

Bad day an excuse?

Woah, that's rather disturbing about the manager; I'm sure one of the online managers here will want to hear more so they can look into it.

Your Review

Thanks for taking the time for posting your review.

If you could please send me a PM with your account information I like to take a look & investigate the call with the manager. We certainly don't want our customers to feel that way & sometimes even seasoned agents may need some coaching.

That said, Once again, thanks for you review,

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Toddy

@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. Dont use them.

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. My internet keeps dropping out, is very slow and often does not work for days. I have spent more than 40~50 hours on the phone with them, changed modems ($100)and I am still having issues. They refuse to send a technician at any cost. When I finally had them say they'd send one, they changed their minds the next day saying the problem was fixed, but is not. If you call tech support they are constanly having servive outages across Ontario. There is not a single day where they do not have service outages. They try to blame this on Rogers infrastructure but I know people in my area who's Rogers service is fine. They are apathetic and a terrible ISP. Just awful service. I have been with them now for a couple years and it has been a non-stop technical disaster. I have not had a 2 month period where I dont have to be calling their hapless and sometimes rude tech support. I have rebooted, tested and done tech support for them now ever since signing up. Enough is enough.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Max,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear that you are still enjoying your internet with minimal issues with the service. In regards to price increases they only occur when the vendor requests these types of increases. Other than that we don’t change our prices.
Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any questions or concerns please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

Ashleigh

PissedCanada

@175.156.249.x

-1 recommendation

Re: Updated Review

Are you using pre-written messages? Did you actually read the message just above yours that stated the horrid, pathetic state of affairs in your company?

Teksavvy sucks. The service is terrible. The connection is terrible.

Now let's see your respond with your pat message. Thank me for my review. Go ahead.
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada

Re: Updated Review

The OP updated the review he wasn't responding to the commenter from 2013.

Edit: Removed vulgar.

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

·WIND Mobile
Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Stavros

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Review by eheyl See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Speed, no cap, support, everything"
Bad "nothing that I can find"
Overall "Best value for Cable Internet either in Toronto or Kitchener"

I was with Rogers and liked the service, but when my work really took off I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY switching to higher service tiers (which is not saying much) to avoid being dinged for overage. I'm in Kitchener and at the time TekSavvy wasn't available. In April, they became so, and I signed up. I figured that I may as well go with the highest level, which was Cable Extreme Pro and no bandwidth cap. I set it up, bought the modem (the SB5101) and waited a month (As per Rogers policy, which I'm sure wasn't necessary).

The date came. I got up, plugged the modem in as well as my router. PERFECTION. I get double the speed TSI advertises, no drops, no lag and fast uploads. I haven't needed technical support and regardless of when I call I can always get prompt courteous service. Literally 24/7 which is good because as we all know, Mr. Murphy (I swear if I find him, he's dead) doesn't respect nice 9-5 business hours). I never felt pressured when asking questions, I felt like they really cared. In fact, the sales rep tried to get me to go with a lower plan, but with my work, unlimited is best.

I love the fact that I'm not tied into a contract and that there are not a bunch of weird charges. I know to the penny how much I'm paying each month and I never have to worry about a bandwidth cap which means I can just get on with my work.

In short, if you're on the fence, don't be. Go with Teksavvy, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE: It's been around three years...and despite Rogers severely going down tonight, Tek got things up and running again. Their support for any issues has been great. The folks on the phone really do help and they're easy going enough that you can share an off color joke with them and get a laugh. Won't be leaving anytime soon!

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi eheyl,

Thank you for the years of support! We are always happy to receive feedback from our customers and we are looking forward to keep you on board for many more years!

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by ryuhosuke See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Great bang for your buck for cable and that is Unlimited"
Bad "a few glitches here and there mainly not there fault"
Overall "excellent service"

Switched after the UBB thing happened with PRIMUS!!!! and 1 month earlier so i decided to cancel and switched over. Great speed even though i was left in the dark for 5 days and had to tether through my iphone.

ordered the cable extreme pro with 15 mbp/1 mbp.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for the review. We certainly appreciate it.

Sorry to hear you were left in the dark but glad to hear it was only a one time thing only.

Review by krakdotz See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Never had a problem, very cost effective."
Bad "If there's a mistake with a change in your order during a busy season, be prepared for long downtime."
Overall "As far as Cogeco area goes for TPIA's TekSavvy is amazingly reliable and excellently priced."

Don't feel like writing a lot, DSLr keeps asking me to review something.

I moved from one apartment to another in 2013 during a Massive delay in TPIA communications with Cogeco. TekSavvy somehow sent the request to Cogeco as a transfer of service at the new address (meaning there would have had to be an active Cable service at the new address) rather than a new connection. Took 3 weeks for that to be rejected, and then 3 weeks for the install after it was corrected. That's the reason for the low install co-ord, otherwise love TekSavvy, was worth the small bit of tethering my smartphone for 6 weeks while waiting.

member for 1 year, 37 visits, last login: 112 days ago

Comments:

TSI Andre

Your Review

Hi krakdotz,

Thank you for posting the review. We definitely did have some issues with some of our vendors in 2013 which caused some severe delays however fortunately, those delay issues no longer exist to the extreme they did back then.

Don't be shy to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Your Review

Hey Andre,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on a smartphone right now.

Thanks for the reply! Not looking for anything out of it, like I said in the review, just hoping dslr stops spamming me to review something. Sorry again about the low install score, I know it was extenuating circumstances for both the delay and the accident while processing, but if it was any higher it wouldn't be accurate to my most recent experience. Original install when I first became a customer was smooth by the way, a bit longer than what I expected because I didn't know what a tpia was, but the date the sales agent told me was the date the cogeco guy showed up. Unfortunate about that move, but I promise if I move again I'll update to reflect the most recent experience.

Review by c_gadfly See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "saved from the Bell"
Overall "best experience ever - you will not regret it (until Rogers makes you regret it)"

-edit- originally from February 2011

Signed up for 10/0.5 and speedtests so far show 15/0.5. Bought DOCSIS 3.0 modem SB6120 for $99.

Saves me from Bell DSL with its 2.5M speed. Even though I had a unlimited grandfathered plan with Bell.

Modem came in 2 days. Had to wait for Rogers tech to come give his blessing. Before the tech visit, the modem showed bonding to downstream channels but no IP address. As soon as he "finished" his work presumably by letting Rogers know that the job is finished, the modem got an IP address. All he did was add a splitter near the cable modem and checked the signal strength. I wish TekSavvy would clarify that part about when exactly is the modem activated and by whom (in my case it was after the Rogers Tech visit was officially over).

-edit- August 2013 - prime time congestion, fiber cuts, botched ATPIA migration has made me change my review slightly towards the downside.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello C-Gadfly,

Thank you for this review. I’m happy you have been enjoying the service and that the installation had gone smoothly for you. This is great to read. When placing an order we do inform the customers that the service can take up to midnight to be activated this gives our vendor enough time to complete the work order and ensure everything is connected for our customers.

Are you currently having a service issue? I see in your update you have mentioned that congestion, fibre cuts and the migration have made you change your TekSavvy rating.
If there is anything we can look into for you please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this review.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Review by jibby See Profile

Good "Good value if/when it works"
Bad "installation went a bit rocky, had long term congestion"
Overall "good value and customer service"

My review got quite long so i figured I'd replace it with a cliffs notes version:

Install was rocky, and i had congestion issues that lasted for 9+ months. Teksavvy did their best to keep submitting tickets which Rogers would constantly close with 'modem online' which was very frustrating.

Teksavvy made a great effort to keep me happy, even went as far as sending me a new Teksavvy hat after i threw mine away in frustration during the troubles. Customer service was excellent, although i felt like their hands were tied as there seemed to be no escalation process with Rogers so it was and endless loop of open/close tickets. The only thing that kept me with Teksavvy is their earnest desire to try to help - even when they were at the mercy of the incumbents.

Eventually Rogers upgraded the CMTS on my node (although they never admitted to any problems beforehand) and for the last year or so, my connection has been rock solid and I've been very happy...

Until the last few weeks, when packet loss (up to 50% loss) started and now I'm dreading the rather lengthy process of opening a ticket and hoping Rogers actually tries to fix the problem rather than just close my ticket because my modem is still online.

Although I've always been happy with Teksavvy and their customer service, in my opinion Rogers provides them with sub-par tools to troubleshoot, and to open a ticket one must go through an insane amount of tedious, mostly pointless form-filling which will most likely be ignored when (IF?) Rogers actually looks at the ticket.

I'm hoping that it doesn't take weeks or even months of tickets before this issue is resolved, like it did the last time. I'm not going to wait months again for a fix - if it isn't resolved quickly, I'll unfortunately have to switch back to an incumbent who can address issues in a more timely manner.

Fingers crossed - will update my review if/when there is a resolution.

member for 6.5 years, 2372 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Thanks for the Update

Glad to see thing got sorted out & you are still going strong.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

Re: review

Hello jibby,

We are working with our vendor to have this issue resolved. We have originally opened a Slow speeds ticket. Our vendor responded stating that there is a Signal issue and to resubmit a ticket. We have done so. We are now awaiting a response to the latest ticket that was submitted earlier today.

As soon as we have an update we will let you know via our ticket status updates.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by motomandd See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great speeds, Great Price, Great Service!"
Bad "Ping times a little high."
Overall "Great Value for your money! Unlimited Prices a bit high, but never go over anyway."

***Note*** I'm with the Cable services in Quebec who uses Videotron as an Incumbent.

Ordered the Cable 60 300GB @ $79,95/Month on the 21st of March, Got installed on the 4th of April.

Tech was great, Installed in 20 minutes, cracking jokes and making everything nice and tidy with the cabling.

Am using a DCM475 with a TP-Link WR1043ND, Making everything run nice and smoothly, always at 60 down 10 up.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2949227624

UPDATE 3/21: Recently moved to another part of town, bringing my services with me. Minus the 3rd party videotron techs who refused to do the work until I called a number on their van and complained, It went great, and service is still extraordinary!

member for 1.5 years, 289 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Motomandd,

Thank you for this fantastic review! I am very happy to see the installation went smoothly and the technician was tentative and thorough with your installation, it is also nice to see the technician was friendly with you. I am also very ecstatic to see the installation was completed rather quickly from ordering the service to installation. This is wonderful to see. Thank you for including the speedtest for your service in this review. The speeds you are receiving look fantastic!

Thanks again for this review and please keep us posted on your connection.
If you have any questions or concerns we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
motomandd

join:2013-03-04
Gatineau, QC
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Review

Hey Ashleigh!

My pleasure! I adore this connection, its pretty much perfect!

My only complaint is for some strange reason I cannot get the 120 down connnection, but strangely I can get it with Videotron. Any ideas?

Update!

Thanks for the update. Glad you are still lovin' it!