TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Stavros

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Review by eheyl See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Speed, no cap, support, everything"
Bad "nothing that I can find"
Overall "Best value for Cable Internet either in Toronto or Kitchener"

I was with Rogers and liked the service, but when my work really took off I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY switching to higher service tiers (which is not saying much) to avoid being dinged for overage. I'm in Kitchener and at the time TekSavvy wasn't available. In April, they became so, and I signed up. I figured that I may as well go with the highest level, which was Cable Extreme Pro and no bandwidth cap. I set it up, bought the modem (the SB5101) and waited a month (As per Rogers policy, which I'm sure wasn't necessary).

The date came. I got up, plugged the modem in as well as my router. PERFECTION. I get double the speed TSI advertises, no drops, no lag and fast uploads. I haven't needed technical support and regardless of when I call I can always get prompt courteous service. Literally 24/7 which is good because as we all know, Mr. Murphy (I swear if I find him, he's dead) doesn't respect nice 9-5 business hours). I never felt pressured when asking questions, I felt like they really cared. In fact, the sales rep tried to get me to go with a lower plan, but with my work, unlimited is best.

I love the fact that I'm not tied into a contract and that there are not a bunch of weird charges. I know to the penny how much I'm paying each month and I never have to worry about a bandwidth cap which means I can just get on with my work.

In short, if you're on the fence, don't be. Go with Teksavvy, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE: It's been around three years...and despite Rogers severely going down tonight, Tek got things up and running again. Their support for any issues has been great. The folks on the phone really do help and they're easy going enough that you can share an off color joke with them and get a laugh. Won't be leaving anytime soon!

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi eheyl,

Thank you for the years of support! We are always happy to receive feedback from our customers and we are looking forward to keep you on board for many more years!

Online Experience Manager

Review by ryuhosuke See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Great bang for your buck for cable and that is Unlimited"
Bad "a few glitches here and there mainly not there fault"
Overall "excellent service"

Switched after the UBB thing happened with PRIMUS!!!! and 1 month earlier so i decided to cancel and switched over. Great speed even though i was left in the dark for 5 days and had to tether through my iphone.

ordered the cable extreme pro with 15 mbp/1 mbp.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for the review. We certainly appreciate it.

Sorry to hear you were left in the dark but glad to hear it was only a one time thing only.

Review by krakdotz See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Never had a problem, very cost effective."
Bad "If there's a mistake with a change in your order during a busy season, be prepared for long downtime."
Overall "As far as Cogeco area goes for TPIA's TekSavvy is amazingly reliable and excellently priced."

Don't feel like writing a lot, DSLr keeps asking me to review something.

I moved from one apartment to another in 2013 during a Massive delay in TPIA communications with Cogeco. TekSavvy somehow sent the request to Cogeco as a transfer of service at the new address (meaning there would have had to be an active Cable service at the new address) rather than a new connection. Took 3 weeks for that to be rejected, and then 3 weeks for the install after it was corrected. That's the reason for the low install co-ord, otherwise love TekSavvy, was worth the small bit of tethering my smartphone for 6 weeks while waiting.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Your Review

Hi krakdotz,

Thank you for posting the review. We definitely did have some issues with some of our vendors in 2013 which caused some severe delays however fortunately, those delay issues no longer exist to the extreme they did back then.

Don't be shy to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01
Canada
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Your Review

Hey Andre,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on a smartphone right now.

Thanks for the reply! Not looking for anything out of it, like I said in the review, just hoping dslr stops spamming me to review something. Sorry again about the low install score, I know it was extenuating circumstances for both the delay and the accident while processing, but if it was any higher it wouldn't be accurate to my most recent experience. Original install when I first became a customer was smooth by the way, a bit longer than what I expected because I didn't know what a tpia was, but the date the sales agent told me was the date the cogeco guy showed up. Unfortunate about that move, but I promise if I move again I'll update to reflect the most recent experience.

Review by c_gadfly See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "saved from the Bell"
Overall "best experience ever - you will not regret it (until Rogers makes you regret it)"

-edit- originally from February 2011

Signed up for 10/0.5 and speedtests so far show 15/0.5. Bought DOCSIS 3.0 modem SB6120 for $99.

Saves me from Bell DSL with its 2.5M speed. Even though I had a unlimited grandfathered plan with Bell.

Modem came in 2 days. Had to wait for Rogers tech to come give his blessing. Before the tech visit, the modem showed bonding to downstream channels but no IP address. As soon as he "finished" his work presumably by letting Rogers know that the job is finished, the modem got an IP address. All he did was add a splitter near the cable modem and checked the signal strength. I wish TekSavvy would clarify that part about when exactly is the modem activated and by whom (in my case it was after the Rogers Tech visit was officially over).

-edit- August 2013 - prime time congestion, fiber cuts, botched ATPIA migration has made me change my review slightly towards the downside.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello C-Gadfly,

Thank you for this review. I’m happy you have been enjoying the service and that the installation had gone smoothly for you. This is great to read. When placing an order we do inform the customers that the service can take up to midnight to be activated this gives our vendor enough time to complete the work order and ensure everything is connected for our customers.

Are you currently having a service issue? I see in your update you have mentioned that congestion, fibre cuts and the migration have made you change your TekSavvy rating.
If there is anything we can look into for you please feel free to message us directly in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for this review.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by jibby See Profile

Good "Good value if/when it works"
Bad "installation went a bit rocky, had long term congestion"
Overall "good value and customer service"

My review got quite long so i figured I'd replace it with a cliffs notes version:

Install was rocky, and i had congestion issues that lasted for 9+ months. Teksavvy did their best to keep submitting tickets which Rogers would constantly close with 'modem online' which was very frustrating.

Teksavvy made a great effort to keep me happy, even went as far as sending me a new Teksavvy hat after i threw mine away in frustration during the troubles. Customer service was excellent, although i felt like their hands were tied as there seemed to be no escalation process with Rogers so it was and endless loop of open/close tickets. The only thing that kept me with Teksavvy is their earnest desire to try to help - even when they were at the mercy of the incumbents.

Eventually Rogers upgraded the CMTS on my node (although they never admitted to any problems beforehand) and for the last year or so, my connection has been rock solid and I've been very happy...

Until the last few weeks, when packet loss (up to 50% loss) started and now I'm dreading the rather lengthy process of opening a ticket and hoping Rogers actually tries to fix the problem rather than just close my ticket because my modem is still online.

Although I've always been happy with Teksavvy and their customer service, in my opinion Rogers provides them with sub-par tools to troubleshoot, and to open a ticket one must go through an insane amount of tedious, mostly pointless form-filling which will most likely be ignored when (IF?) Rogers actually looks at the ticket.

I'm hoping that it doesn't take weeks or even months of tickets before this issue is resolved, like it did the last time. I'm not going to wait months again for a fix - if it isn't resolved quickly, I'll unfortunately have to switch back to an incumbent who can address issues in a more timely manner.

Fingers crossed - will update my review if/when there is a resolution.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the Update

Glad to see thing got sorted out & you are still going strong.

TSI ShawnS

Re: review

Hello jibby,

We are working with our vendor to have this issue resolved. We have originally opened a Slow speeds ticket. Our vendor responded stating that there is a Signal issue and to resubmit a ticket. We have done so. We are now awaiting a response to the latest ticket that was submitted earlier today.

As soon as we have an update we will let you know via our ticket status updates.

Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by BrianON See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Straight forward with fees and prices. Excellent value due to generous cap (300gb)."
Bad "They weren't available in my area until a few months ago."
Overall "They have plans that match my usage better than Bell or Rogers."

Used Bell for a few years followed by Rogers for several more. Both have now transitioned to having lower speed packages with tiny usage limits and large overage fees. The only option for more usage is moving to a higher tier package costing considerably more per month and even then caps can still be pretty meagre. While there are some non-advertised packages and discounts available it can be tiring trying to get them year after year.

I transferred from Rogers to Teksavvy using my existing modem (SB5100) that I had purchased from Rogers several years ago. About a day without access during the transfer. Since then I have had no disruptions.

The $28/month for 3mbs down and 256kbps up might seem slow compared to other packages but since it's just me it's not a problem. Netflix HD streams fine and web surfing is very fast thanks to Rogers' SpeedBoost. The 300gb cap is much more generous than what Rogers or Bell provides for the lower tier packages and overage fees are a lot less ($0.50/GB compared to $2.50 - $5.00 per GB).

Update: Price increased to $31/month which is a fairly large increase % wise but it seems to be a one time thing with tariff changes and not every year.

Update: Fall 2012 - some service disruptions so connection reliability has dropped a bit.

Update: March 2013 - After reading about some new proposed cable rates for aggregated I phoned in to upgrade from 3mbps to 6mbps. Same monthly price but a one time $5 fee for the change. Five minutes on the phone and a couple days latter the change went through.

Update: March 2014 - No connection problems for a long time so updated reliability score from 4 to 5.

member for 3.1 years, 869 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

response to review

Hi There,

Glad to see you are happy with the connection for the most part. Concerning the disconnections, if that issue persists please either PM myself, or message us in the direct forum and we'd be glad to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

Have a great day!
Liz

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for posting an update. I am glad the change went through quickly for you

Thanks for the update!!!

Review by nujabes See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Friendly I guess?"
Bad "What use is friendly when they can never get the job done?"
Overall "**** internet, problems never resolved"

Been trying to stick Teksavvy out of principle since 2011, I can't do it anymore. All I hear is the "blame it on Shaw" game. Bottom line, despite being friendly, no one on their end wants to stop wasting my time troubleshooting for hours on end in order to help solve a problem which I'm 99.9% sure isn't on my end.

When I call in and your representative tells me jokingly that he groans when he handles other callers that lack computer expertise, there's a problem.

Issues:
-I've had packet loss of 5-10% to my gateway for months, maybe over a year--nothing has been done about this. Just endless "troubleshooting". When Shaw changes my gateway randomly, suddenly all the problems go away temporarily. I am not the only user in my area who has experienced this.
-When upgrading cable internet packages, Teksavvy screws up and I wind up without internet for a few days.
-When bringing up the internet issues I've been having with Teksavvy, it feels like everyone I talk to has an overall "refrain from taking responsibility approach" which consists of keep getting me to do hours and hours of troubleshooting in hopes of eventually getting me to give up solving the issue.
-Miscommunications when Teksavvy is filling out tickets with Shaw--I'd get off the phone after an hour or two with Teksavvy thinking that I've done all the troubleshooting required for them to gather enough information to put in a ticket with Shaw, but they wouldn't send it in. I'd find this out after following up with them a couple of days later and wondering WTF is going on.

Recap:
Internet problems unsolved. Tech support friendly but utterly useless. Great cheap internet if it works. If it doesn't work, you're better off going with an incumbent for sure. The way the system is set up, you're more than likely not going to get your problems resolved if you stick with Teksavvy. If you have a problem with your internet, it's a war of attrition to get it resolved.

TL;DR
If you enjoy having **** internet and having your problems go unheard/unresolved, then this is the ISP for you.

0/10 would not recommend.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi Nujabes,

Thank you for taking time to post a review. I see that you had a thread in the Direct Forum already.

We are going though it and your account to see how we can change the outcome of your review and how to improve ourselves.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Good evening Nujabes,

I have reviewed your account's history extensively and from what I've seen is that you have brought a few issues to our attention. Although most times, the issue either resolved itself or the threads where we performed troubleshooting would end abruptly. When we did submit tickets to our vendor, they were sent back to us advising us that there were no issues and that all information provided was within the norms. We did try a couple of modem exchanges but it seems as though that had no effect.

From what I've seen we did our best to assist you during many of our online/phone conversations. I agree with you that there is a problem with the last representative that you spoke to. We will definitely investigate the call and ensure proper coaching is performed. From what I have read in your recent direct thread, the issue went away after the gateway changed. We are hoping that it is smooth sailing from here but we'll always be on stand by if the boat goes off course.

If the issue does return, please let us know so that we can tackle it right away and attempt to find a solid fix while it is apparent. I do understand that it is quite frustrating, but we are willing to continue working with you and get to the bottom of it. I'll post some more details in your direct thread and follow up with you in there.

If you do have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us again.

Online Experience Manager

backtorogers

@rogers.com

not reliable

I had the exact same issues too many outages. I had more outages in 1 year with teksavvy then 10 years with rogers so switched back. The support is also very slow and I sometimes had to wait over
1 hour on phone to get hold of person. The staff is friendly and seem knowledgeable but reliable was horrible for me.

Review by joeinvestor See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Less expensive than Rogers"
Bad "Very unreliable"
Overall ""If" you can cut a deal with Rogers, stay with them."

We were with Rogers for 9 years and renting our modem. At $65 per month for Roger's Express service, we were looking to reduce our household expenditures. After some discussion with retentions at Rogers, we could not agree on a service agreement that would have kept us with Rogers.

So we migrated to Teksavvy (cable 18 package) in April of 2013 (now cable 25) and have been very disappointed with the reliability of their service. Numerous outages plus long waits in the telephone cue for tech support with Teksavvy have put us off their service. This weekend alone we have experienced two outages.

If QOS does not improve with Teksavvy, then we will consider migrating to Start Communications as we have heard good things about that company from others in our area.

Comments:

TSI Alan

Hello,

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear of the connectivity issues you have encountered.

Can you please post a thread in our »TekSavvy Direct forum, so we can review what has happened? We would like to get this made right for you.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

QOS Suggestions

I recommend doing your own QOS with a Tomato equipped router.
cableuser123

join:2014-02-27

Cable Packeges

I would Recommend getting off of the 18 package as it is out dated if you have a Docsis 3.0 modem you can upgrade to a faster speed and a stable connection without a cost.
joeinvestor

join:2014-03-02
Canada
·TekSavvy Cable

Cableuser123:
We have moved from cable 18 to TSI cable 25 package, but whichever package one selects, it will not impact the reliability of the service. For example, we had Rogers Express service on a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and in 9 years, we only had two outages.
Since moving over to TSI, we've had more outages than I can count on two hands and this is with a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.
The problem is the fact that TSI is a TPIA and as such receives inferior service from Rogers. I doubt it matters much which ISP I choose aside from Rogers with respect of service reliability. All TPIA ISP's have to settle for second rate service from Rogers and I should have expected this when I departed Rogers internet service.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Cable Packeges

Hi Joe, I don't think that is entirely the case. Those 9 years when you were a customer of theirs, did not see nearly as many upgrades as they are currently doing. Many customers, including their own customers are seeing these disruptions. Once these upgrades are complete it should calm down and settle into a period of more stability.

That being said, we would really like to look into your situation as we pay a great deal of attention to all of our users who open up a ticket. Have you posted in the direct forum as TSI Alan has suggested? I don't see a thread there from you. We'd like to double down on assisting you if its possible to do more.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
harvest

join:2013-08-31
Port Stanley, ON

Marc:
Thanks for your reply. But here is the rub. I'm the only TSI cable internet subscriber on my street, and I've spoken with my neighbors up and down my street, and most everyone I've chatted with has experienced no issues with their Rogers cable internet.
I really would like to continue supporting your company, but if reliability doesn't improve soon, then I'll be forced to leave TSI. Sadly the issues affecting your ISP are paramount to all TPIA's as Rogers and Bell control the infrastructure. What is really needed in Canada is an ISP with infrastructure separate from the big telcos, but that will never happen.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Cable Packeges

Hi harvest, We don't know how to respond as we do not yet know who you are. Generally when we bring situations like this to them, they do look into it. On our end, our systems are very reliable, we need to figure out what's going on in the middle. Can you assist us in finding your specific account please? We would like to see for ourselves what's going on. It may help others in your area as well.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
going with Start wouldn't necessarily solve anything, if you have underlying issues with your specific connection, changing the ATPIA assigned wouldn't fix anything

Some upgrades Rogers does do only affect D3 modems, as the D2 modems would stay with 1 channel in each direction (and older upstream encapsulation) Rogers are still progressing with the 16 to 64QAM upstream upgrades in their footprint. This also enables the newer upgraded areas to support the 250/20Mbps ultimate tier, if your area is not eligible for this service yet, the upgrades haven't completed

I have been on TPIA since 2011, and haven't experienced any issues that didn't affect Rogers own users (with the latest one being the Fallowfield RF outage that also affected cable TV)

Treegravy
join:2011-04-21
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'd like to emphasize TSIMarc's comment: We were clients of Rogers from way back to the @Home days and over the years, yes the service was stable, but with the last couple though there were certainly more interruptions of Rogers' service than in the past.

And it's telling that Rogers practices unproven shenanigans against TPIAs: What does that tell you about the respect they have for customers? Remember the TPIA is still a CUSTOMER!

Rogers lied to us. They offered a deal and then reneged. If you want to do business with people like that - instead of smoothing out the hiccups of the service you're getting now, that's your prerogative.

Remember though, Rogers has an interest in making you unhappy!

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Good speed, caps, support, unlimited / cap-free overnight hours."
Bad "Depend on rogers for last mile. "
Overall "TSI is great."

Feb 24, 2014
----------------
Still very happy. Service is rock solid last couple of months. The congestion issues I was concerned about last review have been resolved. I vaguely remember having a few outages in the fall but those issues seem to be behind us now. Very interested to see how the proposed peak time voluntary throttle in exchange unlimited service works out.

Aug 2, 2013
-----------------
Just switched to the 35/3 package with cap free over nights. Summer combined with more speed options seems to have caused noticeable node congestion during peak and mid peak times. (as low as 15 mbps on a 35 mbps connection). Nothing that cripples my connection but signs that Rogers needs to start a local infrastructure improvement strategy. Hopefully Teksavvy will push them that way as well. No outages (except the one required to upgrade my speed). Still happy and loyal to Teksavvy.

Jan 18, 2013
-------------------
I am very happy since I switched from TSI DSL 6 to TSI Cable 28/1 with a Docsis 3 Thomsm DCM 476. Direct support on the forums was great for presales info and the process went exactly as described. I had considered the 18 package but for 5 bucks more I couldn't say no. Install tech was efficient, friendly and on time. There were a few outages when I first signed up but that was related to upgrades Rogers was making in the area. It's been rock solid since September. I wouldn't be with any other company.

member for 11.7 years, 1674 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Thanks!

Hi graniterock,

Thanks for the review! Glad you found our staff helpful and that everything went well. Happy to hear that the kinks from the beginning have been resolved since September. If there's ever anything you need us for you know where you can find us .

Social Media Relations Team Leader

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hey graniterock,

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to see that you're still happy with the service! In regards to the congestion issues, it's something that both ourselves and our vendor are aware of. They have confirmed that they are working on resolving these issues along with completing the ATPIA upgrades. Unfortunately since this is more of routine maintenance than the APTPIA upgrades, we have no ETA as to when this will be completed. This is also partially dependent on the DOCSIS 2 modems many customers are using. Although they are still capable of using these modems any new sign ups, upgrades to a higher tier speed or a move to a new location will require a DOCSIS 3 modem which puts less strain on the infrastructure it's self. Unfortunately this is not a instant remedy that will cause the congestion to go away, but it will in time have quite an impact on the congestion issues you see today.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post in the DM!

Jon

TSI ShawnS

Re: Feb 24 update

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying our service! The peak time throttling is not yet in place. We currently have no ETA on when this will be implemented.

Thank you for your update!
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork