TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jmarlatt2 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Cheap, way better limits. Quick support."
Bad "not liked by the big 3?"
Overall "get it if you're sick of pathetic caps"

Signed up for teksavvy cable internet when it became available in Chatham. Ran the 14mb connection flawlessly until they switched to ATAPI, now on the 20mb profile. Looking to upgrade to the 60Mb profile once Cogeco can get their systems working correctly.

Picked up a DCM476 modem and it was activated before I got home and hooked it up. Cogeco had me on the wrong profile but a quick message to teksavvy and it was fixed.

Upgraded to 30mbps package a couple months ago and now Chatham has some severe congestion issues during peak hours. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi jmarlatt2,

Thank you for the great review . Glad you joined the family and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask any of us on here.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24
Hello Jmarlatt2,

Thank you for the updated review. We certainly do apologize for any congestion that you are noticing on the lines in Chatham. We are currently working with our vendor to have the congestion fixed in the Chatham area. We don’t have an ETA yet however are working on a speedy resolution for everyone.

If you have any other questions please feel free to send us a message through our Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

Tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Review by Boss429 See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Been with Teksavvy for a year now and service has been rock-solid. Great value for the money."
Bad "They ride on top of Rogers so service issues can lead to finger-pointing."
Overall "I work in the tech sector and all the propellar-heads I know swear by these guys."

Cable 25 at $41.95/m plus tax - 300 GB usage, uploads don't count. Order process was easy and set up in a week. Roger's guy came by and terminated drop. I bolted on Teksavvy modem, which arrived via courier ahead of time, and away it went. No problems. I originally bought Cable 18 (no longer offered) but was consistently getting 25+ Mbps. I was on Bell DSL before and Teksavvy is cheaper and faster - what's not to like? Highly recommended.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 198 days ago

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello Boss,

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear your experience thus far has been a positive one.

Don't forget, should any questions or concerns pop up, you can always reach us in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or by clicking here and selecting DSLr from the "SUBMIT A REQUEST" drop down.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

Re: Your Review

Yup the propellar-heads go back to the very roots of Teksavvy. When they first started out pretty much all of the customer base were propellar-heads only. I've been with them for several years and their services have only been top notch, and reliable for me.
BHell... A Public Futility. When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.

Review by creed3020 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "$/Mbps, Exceptional usage limits, DOCSIS3 Modem, and a private Canadian company"
Bad "Phone queues are beyond acceptable so use another method like DSLR already!"
Overall "Great ISP working hard for their customers within a completely flawed Canadian regulatory environment"

Pre-Ordering: As a previous TekSavvy DSL customer I have been reading the TS forum here for well over a year so I had a really clear idea of the good and the bad when it comes to TS. I knew that with my move to Toronto that it would be a good time to upgrade myself from DSL to Cable. I am not a crazy downloader but appreciate the high caps so the 300GB plans work perfectly for me.

Ordering: I ordered over the phone and only waited 2 minutes to speak to an agent. They got all if my information recorded correctly and helped me to cancel my DSL. I ordered the TekSavvy Express Cable package with 10Mb download, 512Kb upload, and 300GB usage cap. After I called I forgot to asked one question and had to call back a second time. I wanted my new cable modem (SB6120) sent to my current address and not the new one. This request was handled well and I received the modem 4 business days later.

Installation: I set my activation date for Monday May 2nd as we moved in on the 1st. I received an automated call on the 1st which was awesome because it shows how they are already prepared for my install date. I had the option of rescheduling should I need to which I didn't. I originally choose a setup window of 8AM-11AM and the tech showed up at my place at 8:15AM which was awesome because I could show him around before leaving for work. He cleaned up the outside of the house because there were a million coaxial cables. He did not need to run a new line. I asked him to mark the line as a TPIA line and he said he would, though I was not able to confirm this was actually done as I had to leave.

Post Installation: Later in the day the lights activated correctly on the modem. The receive light lit up blue indicating downstream bonding which is awesome for my 10Mb profile. The service has been working well since activation, however, I have noticed what I believe is some congestion during peak hours, BUT, I want to test with a wired PC instead of over wireless before I make any solid judgement on that aspect of the service. With Speedboost I am seeing over 20Mbps.

I will update again once the first month is over.

UPDATE: I just moved to Kitchener and the install went very well. I was annoyed that Rogers had not upgraded the channel bonding in my area but low and behold on Thursday the connection dropped for a few minutes and we went from 4x1 to 8x2. I am looking forward to the smooth ride and with recent upgrades to the POI speeds are looking excellent.

UPDATE (Nov-25-2012): Speeds during peak periods are getting worse but the real issue is that my local node is overloaded and a D3 modem does not appear to be enough to overcome this. Pings are in excess of 300ms on average and experiencing anywhere from 0-10% packet loss. Line monitor shows this issue as does smoke ping tests. Latency sensitive activities like online gaming and VOIP are not possible at the moment. Technical support is unable to provide a resolution due to crippled Rogers TPIA support.

UPDATE (Jan-2-2013): Issues related to crazy high pings and packet loss have been resolved. The problem has gone away but can be recreated as it was determined the issue is related to software. A Windows service related to cloud backups was hogging upload bandwidth to the point that nothing else was working correctly. The software has been tweaked accordingly and the issue is no longer. Anticipation for the CRTC decision regarding speed matching on Aggregated POIs is going to be a major push/pull factor as higher upload is becoming an absolute requirement. Cable is unable to meet this expectation and VDSL remotes (multiple within 400m of my home) are making VDSL an attractive option.

UPDATE (June 7th 2013): I just moved to a new address in Kitchener and the install went very well. The technician showed up during the window even though I had missed their call which was appreciated. Channel bonding is enabled in my area and I see 8x4 on my DCM475. My signal stats are not as perfect as the previous install but Rogers does have to come back and properly bury the cable they left in my grass. When that changes I'm curious to see what impact it will have on my signal as they have to install a new box as well on the side of the house. I have a home-run from my modem to the pedestal in front of my home.

UPDATE (June 28th 2013): The Kitchener POI has been successfully migrated to APOI and the ATPIA speeds are now available. I requested a change to 25Mbps down and 2Mbps up with the same 300GB of usage as previous. The request took a total of 5 business days between TSI and rCable before it came into effect. Speeds look good and more testing will occur.

UPDATE (Feb. 4th 2014): I started to notice a trend in my cable modem signal stats through the Fall of 2013. These continue to get worse and eventually the downstream signal was out of spec. I was not losing sync or seeing degraded speeds so I continued to monitor. In January 2014 it reached a point where I felt some preventative maintenance was a good idea. I logged a Technical Support ticket with TSI and they clearly saw the problem. I completed all of the testing requested and Rogers sent a technician to the house. A -6db attenuator was attached to the modem directly. This brought the downstream power levels back into specification and they remain there today. All in all a good experience with TSI Technical Support and the incumbent.

member for 8.3 years, 1406 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Node congestion

Sorry to hear about this. I see we had opened a ticket, but no updates seem to have been pushed back to Rogers. So I've updated Rogers as well as your »TekSavvy Direct thread.

Martin

TeksavvyUSER

@teksavvy.com

Comment from a Teksavvy USER

i am using CABLE broadband from TEKSAVVY. The 20mbps package.

I can tell you it's the biggest shit I ever used in my hole life.

ROGERS in my opinion is much more reliable speed and service.

For 5$ different I prefer pay it and shut my mouth.

The evening and week end I get maximum dial up 56k speed. Sometime 100k is lucky. Sometime so slow the pictures not appear on the web page. Instead there is red X appear...

My laptop stay frozen for several minutes because too slow broadband connection.

TekSASHIT CAN BURN TO HELL THOSE BASTARD.

Re: Comment from a Teksavvy USER

Hello,

I noticed that you posted a very similar message on Twitter.

If you would like us to help you, can you please post in the direct forum with your account info.

gajego

join:2007-02-15
Canada
Oh, I was going to switch from DSL to Cable... Is TS Cable it that bad? What Modem do you have?

TSI Marty

Re: Comment from a Teksavvy USER

said by gajego:

Hello gajego,

We apologize for the misunderstanding with the above comment, there was a misunderstanding with that customer and we worked to resolve their issue the best we could.

If you would like to post here in the »TekSavvy Direct we can see which cable speeds are available to you.

Martin

TSI Ashleigh
join:2013-02-24

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the updated post!!! Happy to hear your enjoying the new updated speeds and also enjoying your TekSavvy service. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions as you know we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct and are always happy to help!

Thanks again for the great update!! Please keep us posted on your TekSavvy journey!

Thanks again
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hello,

Thank you for your review update. Good to hear the signal issue was resolved for you in a timely manner.

Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with!

Regards,

Review by GojuKid See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON

I had been with Bell DSL for over 10 years and could not get any better than 2.6. I ordered 28/1 cable internet and DOCSIS 3 modem from Teksavvy about a year ago. The initial install in Toronto was up and working on the promised date. We moved to Kitchener 3 months ago and transferred our service (even though there was a stop sell) to our new home. Install was done on the promised day and was running the next day. I have had no reason to call support except for the move and they were very helpful. I would recommend Teksavvy.

Update February 1, 2014: Changed to the 25/2 profile when it came available in Kitchener in June, 2013. The request took about 7 days. The results were a stable speed in the evenings and a lower monthly rate. I have not had any problems at all with my service and would recommend this service.

member for 13.6 years, 6402 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Thank You For Your Review!

Hi GojuKid,

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear everything went well with your move to K-W, and your subsequent migration to DSL.

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with at any time. We are always here to help!

GojuKid

join:2001-01-28
Kitchener, ON

Re: Thank You For Your Review!

Hi TSI Alan,

I did not migrate to DSL. I went from rCable 28/1 to rCable 25/2.

Review by blackdragon1 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Good speed, fair price, good tech support"
Bad "Low caps"
Overall "Good value, but would like higher bandwidth caps"

·TekSavvy DSL
I have been on TekSavvy Cable since summer 2013 (was on TekSavvy DSL previously) and made the switch mainly for a more reliable connection, faster speed, and because we were switching our home phone to VoIP and did not want to pay dry loop fees.

The modem cost ~$100, which was the only investment we had to make. The monthly bill was $39.95, now its at $42.95 ($3 increase) but the speeds have also increased, from 20/2 initially to 20/10 currently. The bandwidth cap unfortunately is still at 150GB, but, TekSavvy does offer a 2AM-8AM "free download" session where nothing counts towards your monthly limit. It was a bit challenging going from 300GB on DSL to 150GB on cable, but thanks to the overnight free download, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

We have only had one issue since (about 5 months). Around the beginning of January, we experienced incredibly slow download speeds throughout the day (0.5-1mbps). The issue (from what I saw) was that Cogeco was upgrading their equipment. Either way, it was frustrating that TekSavvy could not do anything, and did not compensate us in any way either.

Overall, apart from that one week of issues, I have been pretty happy with the ISP and service, and have recommended a handful of people to them over the years and will continue to do so.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for posting your review

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything

Cheers

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

Hello there,

Thank you again for the review. We always love getting feedback from our customers.

Would you be able to post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum with your account info by chance? I'd like to see if there's anything here we may be able to assist with.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by Alexo See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Overall "Review deleted"

Review deleted by reviewer

Comments:

Review by nixyrus See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Nothing really."
Bad "Lousiest ever customer service."
Overall "Most. Frustrating. Customer. Service. Ever."

We switched to TSI around three years ago, expecting customer service to be better than incumbents. Sadly, we were severely disappointed recently when we tried to get an issue resolved via their customer service.

If you ever need a tech to come out and physically look at your line, be prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone with teksavvy reps first, trying to justify a tech to come out. If at any point the vendor says the issue has been resolved, repeat the entire process.

We spent around 5 hours on the phone, un-sucessfully, trying to have a tech come and replace a temp line, which could have been degrading our internet speed.

We then cancelled our service.

Upon cancellation, a Teksavvy rep refused to honour a previously applied credit for a period when the service was down. Apparently, their system cannot process a credit card refund, at least that's what the customer retention rep told me. On the plus side, it's not the vendor's fault.

Contrast this terrible customer experience with Amazon, who gave us a refund for a movie we tried to stream on Teksavvy while experiencing degraded internet speed. We did not even ask Amazon for a refund, just got an email with a full credit. BAM! We are now Amazon customers for life.

We are also trying to have teksavvy remove a downed cable left hanging by the side of our house, as it presents a safety issue to us and could damage cars in the driveway. As usual Teksavvy's reps are back-pedalling, contradicting themselves and using their vendor as an excuse to not do anything.

I'm hoping the folks from teksavvy on here will do a better job than the folks I've dealt with so far. Let's see.

Sequence of events:

Dec 22nd -- Cable in back yard down in storm.
Dec 29th -- Technician installed temp line, said they would put in permanent line later that day. Technician never returned.
Jan 1st -- Service so slow that it is unusable (speed test can't even be completed).
Jan 2nd first call -- called TekSavvy, spent 30 mins on phone with rep, call got disconnected, rep didn't call back.
Jan 2nd second call -- called TekSavvy, spent an hour on phone running tests. Told it is power level issue, Vendor may be able to fix from their end. May send technician on Sat am, Monday or Tuesday.
Jan 3rd first call -- no service at home. Called Teksavvy, told Vendor said issue fixed.
Jan 3rd second call -- power cycled modem, still no signal. told we need to email signal info to teksavvy for Vendor to send technician to take a look and Vendor may send someone over on original sat time slot.
Jan 4th -- Ryan at Teksavvy finally acknowledged that Vendor's temp line may be causing an issue with our service. So far, spent around 5 hours on the phone with tech support to get to this point. Ryan opened a second ticket with Vendor to replace temp line with a permanent line.
Jan 5th & 6th -- Told by Teksavvy, replacing temp line won't be done by vendor until Spring as it may be unsafe. Even though the same vendor replaced our neighbour's downed line 2 feet away.
Jan 7th -- Asked Teksavvy to send tech to remove our downed cable, hanging by the side of the house, which could pose a safety issue for us.
Jan 7th -- Teksavvy asked for photos showing downed line.
Jan 7th -- Cancelled Teksavvy service, cancellation/retention agent refuses to honour previously given credit for down/unusable service.
Jan 8th -- Sent Teksavvy photos of downed line.
Jan 8th -- Teksavvy now esponds by saying it is unsafe for vendor to replace downed line.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE:review

Hello Nixyrus,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review,

We understand that there was a major ice storm that has caused a lot of damage in the general Toronto area. Our vendor and the hydro companies have been working non-stop in the area to restore service.

We would be happy to look into this further for you. If you can please send a message via the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

We can look further into this and hopefully come to a resolution.
TSI Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Re: RE:review

I have already spent way too much time on this issue. All I would like is 1) a refund for 11 days, which was promised to me before I cancelled my service and 2) a tech to come and remove the downed line, which is hanging by the side of the house and could cause damage to our property.

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi nixyrus,

We can certainly look into the 11 days refund you are asking for. For us to do so, we would need to look up your account information so that we can investigate and see if the 11 days refund can be given to you. Could you please provide us your account information in the direct forum that Shawn linked in his post?

From my understanding through what you posted is that you cancelled your service already? We can look to see if our vendor can come out to fix the temp line if it is hazardous/a safety concern. This has never been done on a cancelled account so we do not know how our vendor will reply but we are more than willing to try.

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: RE:review

My CID is xxxx. I am a customer until Feb 3rd, please feel free to email me anytime.

To be clear, I am only asking for two things:-

1) For the downed cable to be taken off my property. This cable is just hanging off the side of our house in the driveway and could cause injury or damage cars in the driveway.
I was previously told the cable would be removed once I provided photos showing the downed cable. I provided the photos and now I'm told it's unsafe for the vendor to come and replace an aerial line, which is not what I am asking for.

2) An already given credit for 11 days for down and unusable service to be honoured. I was given a 3 day credit minutes before cancelling my service and an 8 day credit was given last week. I was told by a "Brandon" in your retention dept, that a refund cannot be issued if I cancel my service, I understand the service is pre-paid, but surely Teksavvy has the means to apply a simple credit card refund credit.
For the record, I wanted to cancel my service effective Jan 19th but was told by Brandon that Teksavvy will not refund the days between Jan 19th and Feb 2nd. So, I'm already paying for two weeks more than I need to. To not honour a credit on top of that is very unreasonable. Brandon was unwilling or unable to help when I raised this issue with him.

Thanks

TSI ShawnS

RE: Re: RE:review

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply.
I would like to get additional details from you, I would like to communicate with you more privately. Please post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum, We can assist you from there.

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

Re: RE:review

You may want to take your CID number off the public forums for security reasons... use the direct forums for this.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Emails

Nixyrus, I'm not sure where you sent those emails but I never received them. I see you posted those there but I have looked three times now for those and can't find either of them. If I had received them, you'd know because I always get the team right on any emails I receive like that.

Hopefully this gets resolved to your satisfaction. Feel free to PM me also..
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Re: Emails

Hi Marc, perhaps I emailed the wrong email address, I did email the PR person listed on TSI press releases as well though...

All I am asking for is the previous credit to be applied (#2 on Jan 7). I took down the old downed wire myself, since the vendor hasn't responded in 4-5 days.

Hi Nixyrus,

The credit has already been applied and we are working on the burial. We tried to get you to post in the direct forum so we can provide you more details about this with specifics however you haven't posted yet.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Re: Emails

Yes, I received a cheque for the credit yesterday.

Thank you, I was very surprised when the agent I cancelled the service with told me that there was no way to provide a credit after cancellation.

I don't need the temp line replaced anymore per my reply to Marc above. I have also emailed the support email letting them know this is no longer needed.

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Re: Emails

It's likely that the agent was saying that there is no way to provide a credit right away (I.e. Right there on the spot). They are processed in batches on a weekly basis..

Thanks for following up though. If I could ask you to remove the comments about me in your review. I would really appreciate that. I take pride in what we do. It upsets me that we weren't able to make this more enjoyable for you but maybe down the road we'll cross paths again.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Re: Emails

Thanks, for your help. I made the changes you requested.

It's water under the bridge for me now, as I have received my refund, but I think it's important for you to know about my experience on the phone re. the refund being honoured as that experience was nowhere as helpful as TSI folks on this forum have been:-

The retention rep ("Bryan") was very clear with me on the phone that there was no way the refund could be honoured since I had cancelled my service and refunds are applied in the following billing cycle.

I asked him if he had any discretion to apply/honour the refund, he said he didn't.

I asked if I could speak to someone else and was told that even if I called back, no one in the call centre could apply/honour the credit as I had cancelled my service and already paid for the upcoming month.

I then asked if he personally thought not honouring the credit was reasonable, he didn't have an answer.

When I asked to speak to his supervisor, I was told the supervisor does not take any customer calls.

When I asked what's the purpose of having a supervisor if customer calls can't be escalated to them, I was told supervisors are there only to "lead the team".

It wasn't a question of getting a credit on the spot.

From my perspective, it felt like the agent was simply not interested in being helpful once I told him at the beginning of the call that I had already picked another provider.

Again, thanks for your help, I just wanted to let you know about the my experience with the refund on the phone.
ShelaghDB

join:2012-09-02

Tech Savvy seems to be gaining quite a few unhappy customers lately, I hear!

I was very unhappy with Rogers cable and was going to go to Tech Savvy but it seems that i am hearing a lot of unhappy Tek Savvy customers as of late.

Threads like this one convinced me to stay with Rogers, especially because i managed to get a deal yesterday with them for $45 per month, modem rental included, 300 gigs and 30 Mpbs and no contract.
That I felt I could not beat, especially with the unhappy customers as of late with TS.

Sorry to hear such complaints as it was great to know that there was one or two companies giving the big 3 a run for their money, or at least there were.
I hope these problems are few and far between!
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Re: Tech Savvy seems to be gaining quite a few unhappy customers lately, I hear!

I'm saying this as a balanced consumer, not some FAN BOI as some on here are known to be.

Due to the growth Teksavvy has had, as will the vocal few that have ran into issues. It's still no where near the level Bell and Rogers get on a daily basis.

A lot of the issues stem from vendor issues that are a monopoly service mandated by the government, which vendors are not exactly willing parties to provide. This causes some lack of caring on their part even though they are paid, and paid well by companies like Teksavvy.

There seems to be a huge misunderstanding on how the system works in Canada, and under normal business operations, the company you deal with should be in charge of the whole connection from your home to the internet.. Sadly in Canada the incumbents (Bell/Rogers etc) have to provide the connection between your home and the 3rd party ISP's network. (not the internet, just the connection between the 2) This causes issue because they are looking out for their own retail customers/services first. This means appointments are missed, effort is not given to go above the call of duty, and things will happen. For most cases, there is no issue. But sometimes extra time and effort it required to get things up and running due to all this. The CRTC has an application to demand better of the incumbents but we will have to see how that plays out once a decision is made.

Teksavvy as well does have some issues with their NEWER customer service staff, which has caused problems. This has been very clear, but you will find most on this site from Teksavvy actually are very knowledgeable and can get things back on track if they do fall off the rails.

I can see after growth, levels off to more manageable levels, this being taken care of fully, but it is a work in progress as it would be for any company.

There are loads of companies available like START, VMEDIA etc. etc. that are great but on a smaller scale as well. The key is stopping the full flow of funds to THE BIG GIANTS if you want to see change in the market place. As long as everyone funds BIG BLUE, BIG RED etc, nothing will change.

Review by morisato See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Order process was Simple."
Bad "Rogers made me wait an extra day for Provisioning."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Order is Complete Now on Day 1

Sent in a beta preorder form for Atpia Cable 150/10 Package teksavvy mailed my modem out and forgot to bill me rofl p:0 so i politely asked for a bill so i can properly pay for it all But So far Presales Contact and Installation Info has been great 2 thumbs up to marc and andre. I

So on Install day today i was eager got my install @ 7:52 am all seemed to be going well Until about.. 7:53 am! rogers did not provision me so i spent the day resetting my modem every 30 minutes alll Day long p:) walked like 50 storeys worth of stairs in the process rofl. good exercise.

Bright side - Tsi Andre Called me to see if it was working - proactively It was not so we pushed a ticket into rogers to get it fixed. Will post The rest as it happens... My precious... Where is the
Precious.,..

So Another Day passed it is now been a full 48 hours since my rogers tech left and My Connection is still not live No fault of teksavvy though they have a ticket in and have been pushing for it.. Sigggh!

I woke Up on April 11th 10 Am Reset the Modem as per Andres PM and Now its working Speed tests @ non prime time are great Ip Does Geo locate to Nunavut Though. Will Update This review in approx 1 weeks time

So its been working fine for over a year now awaiting the new customer portal for the Primetime throttle to allow me to have unlimited on the cheap all in all teksavvy is doing good.

member for 6.4 years, 1325 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Glad to hear your return to TekSavvy has been a positive experience for you. We're delighted to have you back as part of the family!

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with along the way.

Regards,

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for updating your review Morisato!
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

off peak?

are you still getting over 150Mbps off peak?
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

Re: off peak?

No rogers removed Speed Boost from Third party lines A few months ago so Now u just Get the raw speed u ordered always.
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Review by kabes See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "High cap with unlimited on offpeak hours, consistent speeds, good support"
Bad "Reliability was an issue in later months of 2013, but seems to be better now. No downtime for 3+ months"
Overall "Better than the incumbents overall"

Update Jan 2014: Connection has been a lot more stable these last few months. It seems that the reliability issues after the rogers aggregated switch are gone. Recently had some lag and packet loss issues in online games, but teksavvy fixed it by rerouting my connection to the game server which I was very happy about. That is the type of thing I feel that sets them apart. I doubt I could get rogers to look into their routing with a simple post on a forum. Also got tektalk recently (ported from bell) and it was mostly smooth except getting the ATA to initialize at first due to something wrong on their end, but it was fixed with a phone call.

Update July 2013: I am on 45/4 now.. the switch was easy, I did it on their website.

Original review:

----

There was a stop sell in my area for a long time to prevent excess congestion until they upgraded to more capacity. I signed up within minutes of getting the email saying the stop sell was lifted.

I ordered the 28/1 300GB package. The one downside is there is no way to monitor usage yet. Your only option is to use a router to do so. When usage monitoring does come, I hope they keep the same 2 month average/Unlimited rollover thing instead of charging per GB as this is a huge asset to the service.

I already had Rogers cable TV (but no internet) and for some reason a tech had to come out anyway. The tech himself was kind of confused as to why he was here and had to call his supervisor since he literally had to do nothing except put a plastic tag on the line outside. But besides that, the the tech arrived right in the middle of the 3-hour window (which was communicated by email from teksavvy) and then I had service about an hour after he left.

First impressions were good, my first speed test was almost double my rated speeds because of speed boost and after speed boost stopped my speed was a consistent 28Mbps (around 3.5 MB/sec) at all times of the day. However I was getting intermittent disconnections usually around 5-10 times a day that lasted for around a minute. I posted on the direct forum here and since my cable line stats were close to ideal they figured it was a modem issue. There has been some problems with the new DCM476 that teksavvy and rogers are still trying to resolve. 2 days later I had a DCM475 STAC.02.16 on my doorstep and that seems to have solved all the problems with no disconnections in the 2 days since. There was also no downtime in between switching modems. As soon as my 476 went offline the 475 worked immediately.

I much prefer the forum support over phone support. It's more concise and they treat you like you know what you are talking about and won't make you go through meaningless steps like "is your modem plugged into the wall?" that I have experienced elsewhere.

I just hope upload speed gets upgraded eventually. With Bell now offering 10Mbps you would think Rogers would start to offer at least 4-5Mbps at this price level. The fastest DSL in my area is 6Mbps or else i may have considered that from teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Marty

Hello,

Thank you for taking this time to write this great review, we are ecstatic to have you on the TekSavvy team.

As for upgrades, we are always looking to get better, whether it be faster services, larger service areas or customer service if there is a place we can improve we will work for it.

Martin P

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for posting an update to your review. I am glad we got things sorted quickly for you

Review by rainetara See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Nothing "
Bad "Insanely inept customer service"
Overall "Will be seeking out a new ISP"

I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy last spring, and besides a few interruptions that were very poorly handled (I was told that I would have to go out and purchase additional computer equipment before they could file a service request re: service disruption) I had internet that worked well for the price that I agreed to pay. My satisfaction with their services began to deteriorate around a move and subsequent move of internet service scheduled for December 1, 2013. Below you will find the details of my complaint. I was told that my only recourse was to send an email to the complaints department as Teksavvy, which I have done TWICE with no reply. I did ask during one of the many phone calls with Teksavvy for the email address of the CEO, and was denied.

Content of email sent to Teksavvy complaints on December 19 and January 3:

"I would have written this email sooner, but I don't have internet and therefore had to compose on my phone. Yes, the service that I have ordered, had 2 technicians out to install, been overcharged refunded and then charged again for, filed several complaints over and spent HOURS on the phone demanding continues to elude me.

I was an existing customer and scheduled a move of my services for November 30th. The closest appointment I could get to the day was December 2. On that evening a technician came out and refused to install the service as there wasn't any existing cable run, so he demanded a letter from the landlord. I explained that she lives a few doors away and that I could get her to come over. He said he wouldn't wait and gave me a form for her to fill out. No one has lived in this apartment for many years, and I was aware that there was no existing cable and could have provided that information if anyone had bothered to ask.

Just to see if I was paying attention, my November bill had an additional $79 dollars or so tacked on. No one I spoke to could explain why. I had to then wait for a cheque to refund the money that your company was never authorized to take in the first place.

I made several attempts to get a hold of Teksavvy about my failed installation. I spoke with a male representative to whom I gave my availability and explained the situation. He stated that he would try to get the service resumed that following weekend.

A few days later I received a confirmation email booking a time that I had indicated that I was unavailable (fighting with Teksavvy isn't my only job). I spoke with two separate service reps that day, and very clearly expressed my concerns and availability and requested an appointment during a time that I was actually available. I heard nothing for a few days. I called Teksavvy and demanded to speak with a manager. After explaining this ridiculous breach of customer service to another unsympathetic agent, I was connected to a "manager". He was in fact the same person I spoke to who botched my second appointment request. He stated that no further attempts had been made to change the date of the appointment that I was unavailable for, in spite of my speaking to two separate people about the matter. He assured me that he would reschedule.

On the following Tuesday I received a tentative time for Friday evening. When I hadn't received any confirmation by Friday at 1pm, I called your office. After being "disconnected" twice and waiting a total of 30 minutes on hold, I received confirmation of my appointment. When I asked when exactly they intended to confirm this appointment, she told me that they were just about to call.

Technician number 2 arrives and immediately refused to install my service. He states that he needs daylight to install a new service and couldn't now that it was dusk. I argued with him for awhile explaining that a technician had already been out and should have known the situation. I begged him to rebook the appointment for me as I could not bear to have to play broken telephone with your inept customer service department. Rogers called me later that evening to arrange an appointment that will hopefully happen sometime today.

After the initial failure to connect my service, I explained to the person I was speaking to on the phone that I would obviously not be paying for services that I was not receiving. The person I spoke with informed me that it would be my responsibility to inform Teksavvy when I actually did get service and then I would be refunded the money. While speaking to the "manager" on a separate occasion he assured me that I would not be charged for the month and that he was sorry about all the confusion. I received an invoice this morning, and have been charged. Charged for services that I do not have access to and obviously have not received.

As you can imagine I am shocked my your companies complete failure to provide the service that we have agreed to, and the appalling lack of customer service and I would like to be compensated for such. I am extremely disappointed by your company and will tell everyone I can about my experience. As a former Rogers customer, who was tired of being ripped off and bullied, I was hoping that I had found a better alternative. It seems not."

As an update, the service technician did install the service on December 19, and the connection is suboptimal. My few, again botched attempts at support have yielded no improvement. I suspect that I have needlessly replaced the router and am now paying someone to come and assess the situation since Teksavvy is not interested in functional product or customer service.

Additionally, the 3 weeks of service interruption that I was charged for and assured that I would be refunded on a subsequent phone call on December 20th, was again missing from my invoice that I received tonight. So I once again spent 30 minutes arguing over a refund for services that were never provided.

TR

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi RT,

I apologize that your experience has been terrible so far. It is certainly not what we strive for.

I'd like to have one of my agents review your account so we can make this right and learn from our mistakes.

If you could post in our direct forum, we will investigate and make sure this gets corrected.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
rainetara

join:2014-01-18

Good morning,

So you can't investigate unless I post this elsewhere? I have spent the equivalent of weeks already pursuing this, are you now suggesting that this will only be investigated if I post on the forum page?

Re: Your Review

We can't investigate until you provide us information as we don't know who you are. Here is the direct forum where you can post your account info privately: »TekSavvy Direct
rainetara

join:2014-01-18

Horrendous service!!!

Content of email sent to Teksavvy complaints on December 19 and January 3:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response

When we investigate we try to do so in the direct forum or via help.teksavvy.com so account information is not released publicly. This is for your privacy that we do it this way. Please let us know how you would like to proceed!

Liz

Investigating

Hi there,

Elizabeth has provided me a timeline and I am now investigating the account further.

I will get back to you shortly.

Info

Hi Rainetara,

I will be providing you with my response in the Direct Forum.