TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by so142001 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great customer service, Excellent quality, Very affordable, Extremely high bandwidth cap, Stand up for the little people"
Bad "Dependance on other ISP networks such as Bell's and Roger's Lines, however, this is common."
Overall "Despite their depenance on third party organizations, Teksavvy is definitely one of the best internet service providers I've had"

In my experience I have encountered all kinds of good and very few bad situations with Teksavvy. Overall, every single situation was handled with utmost professionalism. Their staff and management always go above and beyond my expectations and they simply care about people. Above all, the quality and speed of service is by far the greatest value for my money. Teksavvy also stands up for it's customers in the face of unjust third party corporate and government behavior. You can count on Teksavvy to be there for you in every way. Before switching to Teksavvy, I had terrible service through both Rogers and Bell. I am confident that I have not and will never regret switching over. Good job Teksavvy!

Addendum: (June 4, 2013)
I've been with Teksavvy for years now and my opinion of their service has not changed. I still believe they are the best service provider.

I am currently paying for a 28 mb/sec download and 1 mb/sec upload speed and here are some results via speedtest:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2752774 ··· 4818.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2752783 ··· 3258.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2752790 ··· 0637.png

The above results are not %100 accurate as I tested with a computer connected to a router where several other computers are connected. I'm sure I would be getting a higher speed report if I had connected directly to the modem.

Once again, Great job Teksavvy!

Update Feb 23, 2015 - I set up service again with Teksavvy. I am paying $54.95+tax for their cable service boasting 30 mbps down / 5 mbps up / 400 GB monthly bandwidth and have not experienced any problems. I am using my own DCM476 modem and everything went online as expected. I just finished running a speed test wired directly to the modem and got 29.62 mbps down, 5.04 mbps up. Good job Teksavvy!

»www.speedtest.net/result/4166060 ··· 0225.png

member for 8.6 years, 96 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Taunia

Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We love to hear from our customers regarding how we are doing. We do strive to provide the best service and customer experiences.

If you ever have any questions or concerns we are always here to help.

Taunia

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Review update.

Thanks so much for the update! This is what we like to hear.

I'm glad to hear that everything got set up smoothly and that the speeds are what they're supposed to be.

Thanks again for taking the time to post some positive feedback.

Best regards,
Jon

Review by TLS2000 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Unlimited! With Zap The Cap enabled!"
Bad "None found so far"
Overall "Really great service and value for your money!"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
After a few years on the Rogers Ultimate package (grandfathered 75mbps) I finally got to the point where they were charging me $100 extra almost every month due to the amount of time spent on Netflix from my household. I finally said that I'd had enough and put the cancellation order in with Rogerr and ordered TekSavvy's 28/1 service to replace it.

My modem arrived within 2 days of me confirming my payment to them (via online banking). Due to Rogers policy of requiring 30 days notice when you cancel a service with them, I arranged for TekSavvy to be installed on March 29th, 2013, not realizing it was a holiday. That didn't matter, as I was able to disconnect the Rogers modem and hook up the Teksavvy modem without issue.

I did a quick speedtest and speeds were in line with the profile I'm on with speedboost enabled. Youtube streams without issue and Netflix is having no issues either.

All of my questions which were asked on the DSLReports forum were answered promptly by TekSavvy employees, which gave me the confidence to make the switch.

Since I signed up, TekSavvy has switched their interconnection system with Rogers over to something called APOI (Aggregated Point of Interconnection), allowing them to offer higher speeds than the original 28/1 up/down service I had. I'm currently enjoying 150/10 service.

Starting in June, TekSavvy is going to be enforcing their usage caps of 300gb (on my package). Instead of making me pay a higher rate every month like Rogers did, they've come up with an innovative way of allowing me to have unlimited usage. Zap The Cap is TekSavvy's answers to capacity based billing that the cable companies use to bill them. Because Rogers charges them for the maximum capacity that they'll use, TekSavvy's costs are dramatically higher during "peak" periods of 8pm-midnight than they would be if they paid for capacity during non-peak hours. This means that when more people are using their internet, TekSavvy pays drastically more money to Rogers for the capacity to handle them. Zap The Cap gives people on capped connections the ability to ZTC. In exchange for unlimited usage, I enable a switch on TekSavvy's website that limits my download speeds during peak hours to 15mbps (vs the 150mbps that I get outside of peak). As such, TekSavvy has lowered their costs in relation to my connection and they pass that savings on in the form of an unlimited service.

It's a small sacrifice for me, as I do most of my major downloading and streaming during their non-peak hours anyway.

TekSavvy gets an 11/10 from me. They go out of their way to help their customers.

Update: Sadly, I'm leaving the TekSavvy fold. I've moved in with my girlfriend and she refuses to use anything but Rogers. Rogers has offered her a really good deal for the next two years, so I understand her reasoning.

Comments:

TSI Danielle
join:2012-05-31

1 recommendation

re: Your Review

Hi,

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We appreciate knowing when things have gone well and it's been a painless transition. Please keep us updated on how things are going with the service as we go along.

Welcome to the family and enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!

Danielle
TSI Danielle
Social Media Relations
Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Hello TLS2000,

Thank you for your latest update!

We're sorry to see you go. I truly hope that you receive excellent service with your girlfriend's current Internet provider. You know where to find us should you need to order our service once again.

Best of luck!

Review by hightech See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Great customer service, no surprise billing, reasonably priced"
Bad "opening tickets with Rogers can be slow (since Rogers slows down their response times)"
Overall "4 years of great service and counting"

I have been with Teksavvy close to 4 years now and am on a legacy 25/2 rogers plan. In the 4 years time, I can't recall a time where I had a lot of issues with Teksavvy that their Support and Andre/Marc could not resolve. I have referred 4 people to Teksavvy and still look to add more people. Their prices (while not the cheapest for resellers) are fair and the quality of service is the same as Rogers (don't believe the Rogers folks telling you that reseller quality is lesser grade).

Teksavvy invests in their infrastructure and I don't experience network slowdowns often. I think I can perhaps think of 2 episodes of slowdowns in 4 years that lasted for a few hours. In the end, it was not even Teksavvy's issue but a main fibre line was cut and rendered interrupted service for Rogers users and others.

If I can think of 2 negatives they would be:

Find a way to lower upfront costs as this may restrict some users to join a new company right away.

Try to keep price increases in check. My last bill went up $5 which is not good.

Overall I would have to give Teksavvy 2 thumbs up as they are doing a good job inspite of any issues noted.

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Hi highttech,

Thanks for your kind words! Glad to hear your TekSavvy experience has been a positive one overall.

It is dedicated customers like yourself, that inspire us to do our best every day!

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by morisato See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Order process was Simple."
Bad "Rogers made me wait an extra day for Provisioning."

·TekSavvy DSL
Order is Complete Now on Day 1

Sent in a beta preorder form for Atpia Cable 150/10 Package teksavvy mailed my modem out and forgot to bill me rofl p:0 so i politely asked for a bill so i can properly pay for it all But So far Presales Contact and Installation Info has been great 2 thumbs up to marc and andre. I

So on Install day today i was eager got my install @ 7:52 am all seemed to be going well Until about.. 7:53 am! rogers did not provision me so i spent the day resetting my modem every 30 minutes alll Day long p:) walked like 50 storeys worth of stairs in the process rofl. good exercise.

Bright side - Tsi Andre Called me to see if it was working - proactively It was not so we pushed a ticket into rogers to get it fixed. Will post The rest as it happens... My precious... Where is the
Precious.,..

So Another Day passed it is now been a full 48 hours since my rogers tech left and My Connection is still not live No fault of teksavvy though they have a ticket in and have been pushing for it.. Sigggh!

I woke Up on April 11th 10 Am Reset the Modem as per Andres PM and Now its working Speed tests @ non prime time are great Ip Does Geo locate to Nunavut Though. Will Update This review in approx 1 weeks time

So its been working fine for over a year now awaiting the new customer portal for the Primetime throttle to allow me to have unlimited on the cheap all in all teksavvy is doing good.

Now with Zap the Cap Functionality I get Unlimited Data at a Discounted rate and only get slowed down for 4 hours a day, Its very Handy! granfathered atm on 150/10 waiting for the new modems to show up so i can Jump to 250/20 if they offer it.!

member for 6.9 years, 1458 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan
Chatham, ON

Glad to hear your return to TekSavvy has been a positive experience for you. We're delighted to have you back as part of the family!

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with along the way.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for updating your review Morisato!
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

off peak?

are you still getting over 150Mbps off peak?
morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

Re: off peak?

No rogers removed Speed Boost from Third party lines A few months ago so Now u just Get the raw speed u ordered always.
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Review by rockstar See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "pricing"
Bad "poor technical support"
Overall "If you're shopping for price, this is the service"

Been with TSI for about 3 years. When ordered had connection issues. Proved nothing on my end wrong, that I could, IE internal cabling, cable modem, etc... Took 4 technician visits for them to determine that it was a bad cable from the PED to the Demark, which I pointed out in week 1, issue took close to a full month to resolve, no credit for down-time. Things were fine for a spell until the whole global outage issue. Once again, provided proof the issue was not on my side but theirs. Suffered through it for almost a month, no upload bandwidth at all, magically resolved itself, no credit to account. Paying for 35 down, 3 up, not participating in zap the cap (drop bandwidth during peak peak hours in favor of unlimited download), only getting around 20 Mbps consistently between the hours of 7pm & 10pm. Response from TSI, oh well, thems the brakes. Overall, I don't care that I only get the 20 Mbps but I'm not happy with "suck it up" by comparisson, other ISPs don't suffer the same, they say you've got 35 down, 3 up and it never changes, that's what you get. Bottom line, for the price, it's tolerable, but if you're a stickler for agreements, this isn't the ISP for you.

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

Re: Review

Hello rockstar,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us!
We would also like to thank you for being a long time customer!

We're sorry that it had taken multiple tech visits to get your connection issues addressed. We would like to investigate your account and see what we can do about those speed issues.

We recommend that you post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum so that we can look into the slow speed issue for you.

We are eager to help you.

Review by audiofool See Profile

• Location: London Ont
Good "Consistent speed, keep fighting the good fight where they can"
Bad "Email has had more than it's share of issues lately"
Overall "Great value, great performance, very happy here."

I ordered the rCable 25/2 profile a year and a half ago. Ordering went smoothly and the sales rep was very helpful and knowledgable and was able to answer all of my questions and provided guidance.

Transistion from Tek DSL to rCable went very smoothly. Despite the fear and loathing instilled by tales of installation no-shows, the Rogers tech arrived as arranged, installation completed with the DCM476 and the work order was cleared within 30 mins of his leaving my house, allowing me to be online in short order.

Not that this is a Tek issue, but when the Rogers tech arrived he asked if we had TV cable installed already as his info did not support this. When I assured him that we had he then asked if we were paying for it. Nice. Real nice.

member for 14.2 years, 2119 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review

Hello audiofool.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our service.

We understand that our email service has not been feeling well lately. We hope to have it back in tip top shape very soon.

We are pleased to also read that your transition from DSL to Cable went very smoothly.
Enjoy your service! If you have any problems/concerns/questions please feel free to either post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

We would be happy to help

Review by byebye_cable See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Honest company"
Bad "There were growing pains early on, don't own 100% of infrastructure"
Overall "Best deal if DSL not an option for you"

Bills are simple & easy to understand, no term.

Sometimes there are problems b/c Rogers owns some of the infrastructure. It's nice that you don't have to deal with Rogers (very nice in fact) but TSI isn't magic & can't get Rogers to fix things quickly either.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Hi byebye_cable,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and happy to have you on board with us.

If you ever need our assistance, our online team is always happy to help and can be reached here: »TekSavvy Direct.

Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by cond See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "No lengthy contract"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Used to be worth paying for"

Avoid Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Cond,

Thank you for the review. I see you have not mentioned anything in your review however have mentioned everything is bad about TekSavvy. I would be happy to assist you with any issues or concerns you may have with your TekSavvy service. Can you post in the Direct forum and elaborate on what is happening?

Ashleigh

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

It is now January 31st, 2015 and I am still just as impressed with TSI as I was during my last review update. I recently upgraded my service to 60/10 easily through the online portal. I was contacted by email within 24 hours to confirm. The TSI representative even suggested that I may want to downgrade to a lower cap to save money since my previous usage was not very high. Despite being told the upgrade takes about 10 business days, it was done in less than 5. Great ISP, great people, great service.

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

Old Martin
join:2006-02-23

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Promised speeds as reported or faster depending on which test. Setup fees not too bad."
Bad "intermittent packet loss/high pings that go away after a couple of hours."
Overall "Service in Mature High Density Shaw areas is somewhat reliable. Recently, not so much."

·FreePhoneLine
Update Jan 27 2015: Teksavvy has been pretty good when using DSL reports for customer service. If you can wait for answers, this is the way to go. They've been pretty proactive in trying new options and making it attractive for me to try different things. I still think that the cause of the problem lies with the incumbent, and as such, I can't really falut TSI for poor connection reliabliy. I'll ukp the Value for money up one unit again.

Update Jan 25 2015: A pretty predictable pattern of 9-10pm 15-20% packet loss or ping times from 500-1000ms TSI Support has been good in responding to my forum postings and are limited in the actions they can take with incumbent. I do have a docsis 2.0 modem, so that may be the problem or the node may be oversubscribed. Upped tech support ratings, upped Connection reliablilty (not TSI Fault?), upped value for money (400/gb/month in unlimited periods)

Update Jan 14 2015: I expect that there will be intermittent packet loss at least 2-3 times a month. I can't drop connection reliablilty anymore, so I have to drop services to 3/5. I'm still happy with service overall. I'd switch, but I'm staying with teksavvy mostly to stick it to the incumbents.

Update Dec 09 2014: Terrible ping quality. It's been a continuing intermittent problem. Typically at night. I'm getting really tired of this.

Update July 29, 2014 Packet loss Round 3. This is getting tiring. Connection reliability rating drops from 25% to 0%. I actively promote teksavvy because I would love that $1/month discount refferal, but I can't do it if I have to tech their line ever month when something goes wrong because my friends aren't as tech to winmtr the line.

Update July 07, 2014 Packet loss has come back. This time opened up a ticket. Used the direct forum and phone calls for help. The process has gone smoother since I do alot of the work before the call testing. Opened up a ticket. Packet loss is 32%. Not good.

Tech support gets upgraded two points (4/5) for making the process faster. Connection reliability gets dropped one point to2/5)

Update June 19, 2014: Didn't do anything, and the packet loss has disappeared. The internet seems like it is at it's speedy normal. I am glad that I didn't waste too much time doing all the tests. I wish TS would tag me as a high functioning computer user so that when I call, they know that I've done everything necessary on my end, probably having powercycled everything 3-4 times already, and asking me to do futile things such as switching ethernet and coax cables is not necessary.

When I have issues with 4 computers in the house at the same time, and once I've direct connected to the modem bypassing the router, the issues are possibly with the modem, but more likely upstream.

Update June 15 2014: Slow internet for 2 days. Tested high packet loss. Emailed support and sent another long list of 'necessary' tests. This is getting aggravating. Woke up this morning and speed seems to be better, but packet loss is still there. Is 15-20% bad? Pings to gateway have no packet loss, but pings to google.com have as high as 28%

I'm dropping Value, services, connection reliability points. I talked to another person in my area that had unending packet loss issues and his solution after months was to leave. Is this the beginning of the end for me?

Update May 07: 930am. Disconnected for about another 5 minutes.

Update: April 21: 11:40pm PST Second connection problem. Granted, it just happened for about 5 minutes but it still happened. Didn't reset the router, modem, and computer. It just came back. If you have a connection problem, just walk away for an hour or two, maybe four. It's not really worth calling in and losing hours of your time. Since this was a short term connection error, and things have been working really well with my upgraded router (480mhz cpu, 128mb ram) I am upgrading my connection reliability rating.

Update Mar 2014: My first connection problem. I called in at 12pm and got connected to a tech agent pretty quick. Call got disconnected, had to call back again at 2pm and waited 20 minutes on hold, continued teching. Call got disconnected, called back at 3 pm, and waited 30 minutes. As I understand it, they don't call people back on disconnects. Neither do they call if you ask them to in the Direct forum. This is aggravating.

The tech bug chasing is pretty tiring and exhausting. I had to ping test/ traceroute which is high level tech stuff for a customer/consumer to do. Restart/reboot/powercycle the modem and my two computers a million times.

I know how to do it, but I can't imagine a normal person would know how to access command window functions. I was afraid that my modem went bad so I jumped through all hoops doing the reboots and different computers and restarts needed to make sure that stuff works. They told me to change all the ethernet wires since they can go bad. Cmon, really? Copper coated aluminium cable goes bad? What about the stuff that is installed in walls and never moves?

I sort of understand that they need to make sure everything is ok before the send a tech, but they wanted me to also change the coax cable that went into the modem into the wall to see if that failed. Cmon, really? Cable goes bad? Indoor cable coax doesn't have the longevity of the same cable that has been sitting on the outside of my house for years? Needless to say, I lied and said that I changed the cable.

The problem was then acknowledged to be outside of my house with a routing issue. All in all, it was an exhausting 4 hours to check my hardware to make sure that it's fine. It's a pain in the ass. I'm dropping my connection reliability rating. Any other customer would have had a hissyfit if the tech asked them to to a ping test and tracerout and send the results to them via email on a connection that doesn't work.

The third tech megan proved to be very nice and finished up the ticket, and the problem magically disappeared as we were teching it again. It turned out to be a problem with Routing at the network.

In future, I wish the techs would just ask if I would prefer to make a note for the sysadmins to look to see if there is failure trend and call me back if I want to help diagnose or give me the option of teching for them for four hours. It was a huge waste of my time.

It's better for TS to acknowledge that the customer has a problem, see if a trend develops, than waste the customer's time to see if there is something wrong with their router, computer , or modem.

I am so tired of this episode.

Update Jan 2014: I was having some slow internet response, so I removed QOS and everything seems to work better than ever. The internet seems to be really quick and responsive. If you are going to use QOS, you need a high quality router.

UPDATE OCT 2013: We were having router issues, so finally changed from DDWRT to Tomato. QOS is now finally working properly. As a long time user of DDWRT I was reluctant to change to Tomato, however, Tomato has more finite adjustments for Bandwidth shaping. Changed to an 'ancient' tomato compatible linksys e900 router. (Actually a downgrade from my previous router) Works in an old house with 7 users and their devices and VOIP. Tomato is the only router I have used so far that has been able to throttle torrenting properly.

With router updates and hardware adjustments and Teksavvy, I now have a network running at 7.5/512k that is more than adequate for many many users that would have needed a much more expensive service to accomodate. I now see regular burst speeds into the 14-18-22mbps range. This makes Youtube HD streaming absolutely possible. There is no buffering, and the grey bar easily outpaces the red progress bar. These are speeds that are completely unheard of when I was with telus 6. I NEVER ever saw a speed higher that 6mbps when I was with telus.

UPDATE Sept 1013: Everything is working fine. It seems like Teksavvy, like any other cable company has burst incoming speeds of up to 22mbps then settles down to 7.5mbps. Everything is working so well that I have to upgrade my network from wireless g to n to take advantage of the burst speed.

I wish that if you signed up for a 1 year contract that they would waive the installation fee.

UPDATE: June 2013. Everything is working fine. Speed test still reports DL speed as up to 15mbps, even though I only subscribe to 7.5mbs. My laptop througput monitor confirms that it's running at 15mpbs which is about the limit for my wireless g connection.

I needed to contact customer service for a seperate matter and it took 26 minutes to reach an agent to solve my problem. I expected this. This was on a Friday at 6pm pst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had telus with phone and internet for $43 including tax. Every six months, I had to 'beg' Telus to give me the credits to make phone/internet cost viable and competitive. after their recent increase to $55 and their refusal to honor their original contract with me for phone ($17/month) it was time to move.

I tested a voip land line, and with a lot of tweaking I've made it work to the point that the quality is just the same as a land line.

My telus speed was rated at 6.0mb/s and it would on occasion hit that speed on regular internet surfing, or when downloading full speed connections.

I bought a used modem locally for $30, or you can find them online on ebay delivered easily for $35 including shipping. (Update: With Docis 2.0 becoming outdated, if you only need speeds up to 30mbps, these routers can be found for as little as $10)

I ordered the 7.5mb cable service with 300gb bandwidth cap. Previously I was unrestricted, and I would often go way over 300mb, but they have unlmited bandwidth between 2am and 8am so I will just modify my programs to work within those constraints.

The lack of an online interface that monitors on/off peak usage is a little aggravating.

Customer service is a 20 min wait by phone, but they are also responsive by email.

The installation process was a little bit of a hassle because they act as go between between the local cable company and me, which calls for 2 to 3 extra 20 mintue calls when an email would have been more appropriate..

Once the tech came and installed, Everything was fine. The modem fired up and connected without problems.

Now there is the issue with speed comparison:

Telus 'sells' a 6.0mb connection, and using 'pure' download connections like my podcaster, I would hit the max speed easily. Surfing everywhere else on the net was a so so experience, never every getting max speed on regular websites, but at the same time I didn't expect as such.

I bought a 7.5mb cable connection from teksavvy. Here are side by side comparisons:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2699998 ··· 8876.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2700021 ··· 1051.png

»testmy.net/KgnH0mA.uJZ3qwr.png

»testmy.net/VcGr9n3.Jv3hyCQ.png

And Youtube reports that my speed is 2.0mb/s with telus and 7.9mb/s with teksavvy.

So I'm not sure what to beleive when it comes to what actual speeds are. Is telus undercutting me with a subpar line, or it teksavvy over delivering?

Judging by the 2 out of 3 result, it seems like telus has been gouging me for many years. Seems like they advertise a service that INCLUDES tcp overhead, but teksavvy delivers on TRUE bandwidth.

There is no phone or video on demand option, but I'm pretty sure that if you wanted something like netflix, i'm pretty sure that it would work. There is no option for live sports.

Voip landline works great.

The total extra fees to get me started on teksavvy was $79 for the installation and $30 for a modem that I got used.

With the money I saved I will pay off for this extra expense in four months.

I should have done this years ago. And with the usage of a voip phone now, moving service from house to house should the need arise is extremely simple.

I am

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

WELCOME!

Hello fefrie,

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always love getting feedback from our customers! Secondly, I'd like to welcome you to the family!!

Also, we are in the midst of hiring a lot of new agents so if you need us in the future we're working hard to get the wait times down to a more reasonable level asap. Also should you need us for any reason you can also reach out to us here on the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

There has been quite an interest voiced in us getting TV service in the future. There is nothing in the works at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring

Bear in mind, not only is usage free between 2 and 8 am but we also don't count upload traffic towards your cap!

Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions or concerns come up.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Re: WELCOME!

Could you clarify 'Uploads are free'?

Is it that uploads are free 24/7 or only free during the 2-8am period?

Re: WELCOME!

Period! Uploads don't count. Downloads are not counted during those times.

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the update on your services!! Glad to see everything is still working as it should, and you’re receiving excellent speeds with your connection. This is fantastic!!! Please continue to keep us updated on your TekSavvy journey. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear you have had a service issue with your connection. Our phone agents most certainly do call back when a phone disconnects as long as another call has not connected on the line as soon as the call drops. Which does happen when it’s busy, and it makes it difficult to be able to call back. I have located and reviewed your account to see about the call dropping during troubleshooting and there are notes from the tech agent you spoke to indicating they attempted to call you back when the call dropped however the call was blocked and they were unable to reach you. There are notes indicating for the next agent what troubleshooting had been completed already and what needed to be completed if you contacted us back. Again we certainly do apologize if there was no call back.

If you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct a contact number where you can be reached at I can update your account to ensure we can call you back in the future if you are disconnected again.

We also require troubleshooting for all issues prior to being able to tell you what issue you are having or if you are part of an area issue. We are unable to see your connection from our side to tell you what your issue is or to tell you that your part of an area issue. Troubleshooting must be completed on all issues or we are unable to go forward with diagnosing your issue or assisting you with your connection. We understand it is frustrating to troubleshoot however we must complete it or we are blind to your connection. Fully troubleshooting all issues allows us to understand what issue you are having and what direction we need to go in to fix your service. I hope this helps you understand a little better why we troubleshoot all issues, I can assure you we are not trying to be difficult and we do want to help and diagnose your issue.

Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
Tsi-ashleigh

Re: Updated Review

It was a one time thing, and the thing that I wish happened was...

I wasn't home when it happened.

It probably would have fixed itself anyways.

If I didn't have a string of router failures, I wouldn't have been so paranoid that my modem went bad.

If I knew 100% that my modem was still fine and working, I would have just gone out for a nice walk.

TSI Jonathan
join:2011-08-24
canada

Re: Updated Review

Thank you for the update fefrie.

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review update

Hey there Fefrie,

Thanks for your updated review! Glad you're still enjoying the service! Please do let us know if you run into any further disconnections as we want to make sure to fix any potential issue.

TSI Kris

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi fefrie,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is not a 5 second job so naturally when we email you steps on what we need, it will be a bit long and that could be intimidating.

My recommendation would be to call in to have our support go through the steps with you.

Can you please create a post in the direct with your contact number and best contact time so we can have support reach out to you?

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Re: Update

I created a ticket already.

I do have a question though. If I do a ping test and get 100% fine to your gateway, but get a 28% packet loss to google.com, is it really necessary that I do everything else on your exhaustive list?
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Update

There are only a few things we ask that are not part of our vendor's requirements that we ask to help us narrow things down however the majority is something we must as without, a ticket cannot be opened or will get rejected.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Fefrie

Thank you for the updated review. I am so happy to see the packet loss has resolved itself for you. We most certainly do know that you’re an experienced user and any troubleshooting requested is needed by our vendor. I know you know we are not trying to be difficult when we ask you to check the simple things, we are bound by our vendor’s requirements for service affecting issues.

Thank you again for your updated review. Please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help you.

TSI-Ashleigh

Re: updated review

I'm probably going to have to go through a full test.

I'm at the library now, and the internet just works faster here. I thought that it was my legacy computer, but that proves to not be the case.

It could be my d2.0 router, but tech has said that the likelihood is low.

Packet loss is low (2-4%), but pings can be high in the 200-300ms.

I was willing to accept high pings as an anomoly, but at the library, the experience is noticeably faster, maybe it's the faster speed here too, but high pings will make fast seem slow too no?

Can I still upgrade up to 10 or 25mbps with my 2.0 modem?

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

I see that you also create a public thread and you posted in the Direct. We will have someone follow-up with you in the direct.

Andre

Thanks.

I post in both threads because I want to know/show others and communicate with each other to see if there is a trend in Vancouver