TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by byebye_cable See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Honest company"
Bad "There were growing pains early on, don't own 100% of infrastructure"
Overall "Best deal if DSL not an option for you"

Bills are simple & easy to understand, no term.

Sometimes there are problems b/c Rogers owns some of the infrastructure. It's nice that you don't have to deal with Rogers (very nice in fact) but TSI isn't magic & can't get Rogers to fix things quickly either.

lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi byebye_cable,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and happy to have you on board with us.

If you ever need our assistance, our online team is always happy to help and can be reached here: »TekSavvy Direct.

Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by cond See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "No lengthy contract"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Used to be worth paying for"

Avoid Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Cond,

Thank you for the review. I see you have not mentioned anything in your review however have mentioned everything is bad about TekSavvy. I would be happy to assist you with any issues or concerns you may have with your TekSavvy service. Can you post in the Direct forum and elaborate on what is happening?

Regards,
Ashleigh

Review by Nagilum See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great service. No Throttling. No Contracts. As Advertised."
Bad "The switchover process may be a bit confusing if you haven't read DSLR."
Overall "For my money, the best Canadian ISP I have dealt with to date. Definitely try it."

The Back Story:

I had first heard of Teksavvy from a friend online. I decided to check them out and learned a great deal about switching from reading the Teksavvy forum here at DSLR. Unfortunately, Teksavvy had recently implemented a stop sell prior to my decisions to switch. So when that stop sell was lifted, 8 months later, I made the switch from Rogers to Teksavvy Cable 28 Extreme (28/1 w/300Gb Cap).

After 8 months of reading DSLR, I was intimately familiar with the switching process. I had already purchased my modem (Thompson DCM 475 with STAC 02.16 firmware). I called up Teksavvy 10 days prior to my Rogers service cancellation date and gave them the relevant information. I was promptly emailed a confirmation letter.

When the switchover date came, I simply unplugged my Rogers modem and plugged in my Teksavvy one and everything worked like a charm. My connection has been online and rock solid ever since.

Speed and ping tests confirm that I was getting what I was paying for, even during peak periods.

To Date:

As of November 2013, I have been with Teksavvy for about 1.5 years and have had no issues, save for a few brief outages not totalling more than a couple of hours. My connection is as advertised at all hours of the day and has been rock solid. Also, my service has been upgraded to 45/4 after the switch to aggregated POI, again with no issues.

It is now January 31st, 2015 and I am still just as impressed with TSI as I was during my last review update. I recently upgraded my service to 60/10 easily through the online portal. I was contacted by email within 24 hours to confirm. The TSI representative even suggested that I may want to downgrade to a lower cap to save money since my previous usage was not very high. Despite being told the upgrade takes about 10 business days, it was done in less than 5. Great ISP, great people, great service.

member for 2.4 years, 733 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Samz2

@74.198.9.x

Rogers to Teksavvy

Hi Nagilum - also looking to switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, but I have not been reading this site as long as you... What are your tips to ensure I don't have any transition downtime?

Nagilum
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

3 edits

Re: Rogers to Teksavvy

Hello Samz2,

I'm not sure how much of the process you may already be familiar with, so I'll briefly go over the process I went through.

1) Check on the Teksavvy website to ensure that the service you want to sign up for is available in your area. Since you're already on Rogers, this should not be an issue for you.

2) The second thing to take note of is your Rogers service. If your existing Rogers service is stable and gives you good reliable speeds, you should have similar service when you switch to Teksavvy. If you have connectivity issues on Rogers, check your signal strengths per the FAQ here »Cable Modems and Wiring Issues »What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem?

You will want to address any signal issues either yourself, or get them addressed when you order the new service.

3) Cancel your Rogers cable Internet. You will have to get a cancellation date from Rogers that is at least a month out per your Rogers contract.

4) Call Teksavvy. They will take some contact information and send you out a modem. I'm assuming you're going to be getting the 28/1 service, so your best bet in terms of a trouble free DOCSIS 3 modem is the Thompson DCM 475 with the STAC 2.16 firmware ($100). A number of people have reported random disconnects with some of the other models. Teksavvy will take care of this though. Note that you can also buy a modem at another retailer (Canada Computers for example), just make sure it's on the approved modem list on the Teksavvy website.

5) Teksavvy will have you call back within 10 business days of your Rogers cancellation date, tell them you want to transfer your service. At this time they will gather payment and modem information from you and process the transfer. You should receive a confirmation email. Make sure everything, especially your modem's MAC address (written on the bottom of the modem) is correct.

6) On your cancellation day, unplug and return your Rogers modem and plug in your Teksavvy modem. Everything should be working. Run a speed test or two and check your signal levels to make sure all is good. Welcome to Teksavvy.

Hopefully this helps.

Nagilum

Thanks for the update

Hello,

We are glad to hear that everything is working fine for you. Might I suggest you edit the "up to date" review part to the date you posted. It may help you, others & us for future reference.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Promised speeds as reported or faster depending on which test. Setup fees not too bad."
Bad "intermittent packet loss/high pings that go away after a couple of hours."
Overall "Service in Mature High Density Shaw areas is somewhat reliable. Recently, not so much."

·FreePhoneLine
Update Jan 27 2015: Teksavvy has been pretty good when using DSL reports for customer service. If you can wait for answers, this is the way to go. They've been pretty proactive in trying new options and making it attractive for me to try different things. I still think that the cause of the problem lies with the incumbent, and as such, I can't really falut TSI for poor connection reliabliy. I'll ukp the Value for money up one unit again.

Update Jan 25 2015: A pretty predictable pattern of 9-10pm 15-20% packet loss or ping times from 500-1000ms TSI Support has been good in responding to my forum postings and are limited in the actions they can take with incumbent. I do have a docsis 2.0 modem, so that may be the problem or the node may be oversubscribed. Upped tech support ratings, upped Connection reliablilty (not TSI Fault?), upped value for money (400/gb/month in unlimited periods)

Update Jan 14 2015: I expect that there will be intermittent packet loss at least 2-3 times a month. I can't drop connection reliablilty anymore, so I have to drop services to 3/5. I'm still happy with service overall. I'd switch, but I'm staying with teksavvy mostly to stick it to the incumbents.

Update Dec 09 2014: Terrible ping quality. It's been a continuing intermittent problem. Typically at night. I'm getting really tired of this.

Update July 29, 2014 Packet loss Round 3. This is getting tiring. Connection reliability rating drops from 25% to 0%. I actively promote teksavvy because I would love that $1/month discount refferal, but I can't do it if I have to tech their line ever month when something goes wrong because my friends aren't as tech to winmtr the line.

Update July 07, 2014 Packet loss has come back. This time opened up a ticket. Used the direct forum and phone calls for help. The process has gone smoother since I do alot of the work before the call testing. Opened up a ticket. Packet loss is 32%. Not good.

Tech support gets upgraded two points (4/5) for making the process faster. Connection reliability gets dropped one point to2/5)

Update June 19, 2014: Didn't do anything, and the packet loss has disappeared. The internet seems like it is at it's speedy normal. I am glad that I didn't waste too much time doing all the tests. I wish TS would tag me as a high functioning computer user so that when I call, they know that I've done everything necessary on my end, probably having powercycled everything 3-4 times already, and asking me to do futile things such as switching ethernet and coax cables is not necessary.

When I have issues with 4 computers in the house at the same time, and once I've direct connected to the modem bypassing the router, the issues are possibly with the modem, but more likely upstream.

Update June 15 2014: Slow internet for 2 days. Tested high packet loss. Emailed support and sent another long list of 'necessary' tests. This is getting aggravating. Woke up this morning and speed seems to be better, but packet loss is still there. Is 15-20% bad? Pings to gateway have no packet loss, but pings to google.com have as high as 28%

I'm dropping Value, services, connection reliability points. I talked to another person in my area that had unending packet loss issues and his solution after months was to leave. Is this the beginning of the end for me?

Update May 07: 930am. Disconnected for about another 5 minutes.

Update: April 21: 11:40pm PST Second connection problem. Granted, it just happened for about 5 minutes but it still happened. Didn't reset the router, modem, and computer. It just came back. If you have a connection problem, just walk away for an hour or two, maybe four. It's not really worth calling in and losing hours of your time. Since this was a short term connection error, and things have been working really well with my upgraded router (480mhz cpu, 128mb ram) I am upgrading my connection reliability rating.

Update Mar 2014: My first connection problem. I called in at 12pm and got connected to a tech agent pretty quick. Call got disconnected, had to call back again at 2pm and waited 20 minutes on hold, continued teching. Call got disconnected, called back at 3 pm, and waited 30 minutes. As I understand it, they don't call people back on disconnects. Neither do they call if you ask them to in the Direct forum. This is aggravating.

The tech bug chasing is pretty tiring and exhausting. I had to ping test/ traceroute which is high level tech stuff for a customer/consumer to do. Restart/reboot/powercycle the modem and my two computers a million times.

I know how to do it, but I can't imagine a normal person would know how to access command window functions. I was afraid that my modem went bad so I jumped through all hoops doing the reboots and different computers and restarts needed to make sure that stuff works. They told me to change all the ethernet wires since they can go bad. Cmon, really? Copper coated aluminium cable goes bad? What about the stuff that is installed in walls and never moves?

I sort of understand that they need to make sure everything is ok before the send a tech, but they wanted me to also change the coax cable that went into the modem into the wall to see if that failed. Cmon, really? Cable goes bad? Indoor cable coax doesn't have the longevity of the same cable that has been sitting on the outside of my house for years? Needless to say, I lied and said that I changed the cable.

The problem was then acknowledged to be outside of my house with a routing issue. All in all, it was an exhausting 4 hours to check my hardware to make sure that it's fine. It's a pain in the ass. I'm dropping my connection reliability rating. Any other customer would have had a hissyfit if the tech asked them to to a ping test and tracerout and send the results to them via email on a connection that doesn't work.

The third tech megan proved to be very nice and finished up the ticket, and the problem magically disappeared as we were teching it again. It turned out to be a problem with Routing at the network.

In future, I wish the techs would just ask if I would prefer to make a note for the sysadmins to look to see if there is failure trend and call me back if I want to help diagnose or give me the option of teching for them for four hours. It was a huge waste of my time.

It's better for TS to acknowledge that the customer has a problem, see if a trend develops, than waste the customer's time to see if there is something wrong with their router, computer , or modem.

I am so tired of this episode.

Update Jan 2014: I was having some slow internet response, so I removed QOS and everything seems to work better than ever. The internet seems to be really quick and responsive. If you are going to use QOS, you need a high quality router.

UPDATE OCT 2013: We were having router issues, so finally changed from DDWRT to Tomato. QOS is now finally working properly. As a long time user of DDWRT I was reluctant to change to Tomato, however, Tomato has more finite adjustments for Bandwidth shaping. Changed to an 'ancient' tomato compatible linksys e900 router. (Actually a downgrade from my previous router) Works in an old house with 7 users and their devices and VOIP. Tomato is the only router I have used so far that has been able to throttle torrenting properly.

With router updates and hardware adjustments and Teksavvy, I now have a network running at 7.5/512k that is more than adequate for many many users that would have needed a much more expensive service to accomodate. I now see regular burst speeds into the 14-18-22mbps range. This makes Youtube HD streaming absolutely possible. There is no buffering, and the grey bar easily outpaces the red progress bar. These are speeds that are completely unheard of when I was with telus 6. I NEVER ever saw a speed higher that 6mbps when I was with telus.

UPDATE Sept 1013: Everything is working fine. It seems like Teksavvy, like any other cable company has burst incoming speeds of up to 22mbps then settles down to 7.5mbps. Everything is working so well that I have to upgrade my network from wireless g to n to take advantage of the burst speed.

I wish that if you signed up for a 1 year contract that they would waive the installation fee.

UPDATE: June 2013. Everything is working fine. Speed test still reports DL speed as up to 15mbps, even though I only subscribe to 7.5mbs. My laptop througput monitor confirms that it's running at 15mpbs which is about the limit for my wireless g connection.

I needed to contact customer service for a seperate matter and it took 26 minutes to reach an agent to solve my problem. I expected this. This was on a Friday at 6pm pst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had telus with phone and internet for $43 including tax. Every six months, I had to 'beg' Telus to give me the credits to make phone/internet cost viable and competitive. after their recent increase to $55 and their refusal to honor their original contract with me for phone ($17/month) it was time to move.

I tested a voip land line, and with a lot of tweaking I've made it work to the point that the quality is just the same as a land line.

My telus speed was rated at 6.0mb/s and it would on occasion hit that speed on regular internet surfing, or when downloading full speed connections.

I bought a used modem locally for $30, or you can find them online on ebay delivered easily for $35 including shipping. (Update: With Docis 2.0 becoming outdated, if you only need speeds up to 30mbps, these routers can be found for as little as $10)

I ordered the 7.5mb cable service with 300gb bandwidth cap. Previously I was unrestricted, and I would often go way over 300mb, but they have unlmited bandwidth between 2am and 8am so I will just modify my programs to work within those constraints.

The lack of an online interface that monitors on/off peak usage is a little aggravating.

Customer service is a 20 min wait by phone, but they are also responsive by email.

The installation process was a little bit of a hassle because they act as go between between the local cable company and me, which calls for 2 to 3 extra 20 mintue calls when an email would have been more appropriate..

Once the tech came and installed, Everything was fine. The modem fired up and connected without problems.

Now there is the issue with speed comparison:

Telus 'sells' a 6.0mb connection, and using 'pure' download connections like my podcaster, I would hit the max speed easily. Surfing everywhere else on the net was a so so experience, never every getting max speed on regular websites, but at the same time I didn't expect as such.

I bought a 7.5mb cable connection from teksavvy. Here are side by side comparisons:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2699998876.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2700021051.png

»testmy.net/KgnH0mA.uJZ3qwr.png

»testmy.net/VcGr9n3.Jv3hyCQ.png

And Youtube reports that my speed is 2.0mb/s with telus and 7.9mb/s with teksavvy.

So I'm not sure what to beleive when it comes to what actual speeds are. Is telus undercutting me with a subpar line, or it teksavvy over delivering?

Judging by the 2 out of 3 result, it seems like telus has been gouging me for many years. Seems like they advertise a service that INCLUDES tcp overhead, but teksavvy delivers on TRUE bandwidth.

There is no phone or video on demand option, but I'm pretty sure that if you wanted something like netflix, i'm pretty sure that it would work. There is no option for live sports.

Voip landline works great.

The total extra fees to get me started on teksavvy was $79 for the installation and $30 for a modem that I got used.

With the money I saved I will pay off for this extra expense in four months.

I should have done this years ago. And with the usage of a voip phone now, moving service from house to house should the need arise is extremely simple.

I am

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

WELCOME!

Hello fefrie,

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always love getting feedback from our customers! Secondly, I'd like to welcome you to the family!!

Also, we are in the midst of hiring a lot of new agents so if you need us in the future we're working hard to get the wait times down to a more reasonable level asap. Also should you need us for any reason you can also reach out to us here on the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

There has been quite an interest voiced in us getting TV service in the future. There is nothing in the works at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring

Bear in mind, not only is usage free between 2 and 8 am but we also don't count upload traffic towards your cap!

Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions or concerns come up.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Re: WELCOME!

Could you clarify 'Uploads are free'?

Is it that uploads are free 24/7 or only free during the 2-8am period?

Re: WELCOME!

Period! Uploads don't count. Downloads are not counted during those times.

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the update on your services!! Glad to see everything is still working as it should, and you’re receiving excellent speeds with your connection. This is fantastic!!! Please continue to keep us updated on your TekSavvy journey. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear you have had a service issue with your connection. Our phone agents most certainly do call back when a phone disconnects as long as another call has not connected on the line as soon as the call drops. Which does happen when it’s busy, and it makes it difficult to be able to call back. I have located and reviewed your account to see about the call dropping during troubleshooting and there are notes from the tech agent you spoke to indicating they attempted to call you back when the call dropped however the call was blocked and they were unable to reach you. There are notes indicating for the next agent what troubleshooting had been completed already and what needed to be completed if you contacted us back. Again we certainly do apologize if there was no call back.

If you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct a contact number where you can be reached at I can update your account to ensure we can call you back in the future if you are disconnected again.

We also require troubleshooting for all issues prior to being able to tell you what issue you are having or if you are part of an area issue. We are unable to see your connection from our side to tell you what your issue is or to tell you that your part of an area issue. Troubleshooting must be completed on all issues or we are unable to go forward with diagnosing your issue or assisting you with your connection. We understand it is frustrating to troubleshoot however we must complete it or we are blind to your connection. Fully troubleshooting all issues allows us to understand what issue you are having and what direction we need to go in to fix your service. I hope this helps you understand a little better why we troubleshoot all issues, I can assure you we are not trying to be difficult and we do want to help and diagnose your issue.

Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
Tsi-ashleigh

Re: Updated Review

It was a one time thing, and the thing that I wish happened was...

I wasn't home when it happened.

It probably would have fixed itself anyways.

If I didn't have a string of router failures, I wouldn't have been so paranoid that my modem went bad.

If I knew 100% that my modem was still fine and working, I would have just gone out for a nice walk.

Re: Updated Review

Thank you for the update fefrie.

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review update

Hey there Fefrie,

Thanks for your updated review! Glad you're still enjoying the service! Please do let us know if you run into any further disconnections as we want to make sure to fix any potential issue.

TSI Kris

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi fefrie,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is not a 5 second job so naturally when we email you steps on what we need, it will be a bit long and that could be intimidating.

My recommendation would be to call in to have our support go through the steps with you.

Can you please create a post in the direct with your contact number and best contact time so we can have support reach out to you?

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Re: Update

I created a ticket already.

I do have a question though. If I do a ping test and get 100% fine to your gateway, but get a 28% packet loss to google.com, is it really necessary that I do everything else on your exhaustive list?
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Update

There are only a few things we ask that are not part of our vendor's requirements that we ask to help us narrow things down however the majority is something we must as without, a ticket cannot be opened or will get rejected.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Fefrie

Thank you for the updated review. I am so happy to see the packet loss has resolved itself for you. We most certainly do know that you’re an experienced user and any troubleshooting requested is needed by our vendor. I know you know we are not trying to be difficult when we ask you to check the simple things, we are bound by our vendor’s requirements for service affecting issues.

Thank you again for your updated review. Please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help you.

TSI-Ashleigh

Re: updated review

I'm probably going to have to go through a full test.

I'm at the library now, and the internet just works faster here. I thought that it was my legacy computer, but that proves to not be the case.

It could be my d2.0 router, but tech has said that the likelihood is low.

Packet loss is low (2-4%), but pings can be high in the 200-300ms.

I was willing to accept high pings as an anomoly, but at the library, the experience is noticeably faster, maybe it's the faster speed here too, but high pings will make fast seem slow too no?

Can I still upgrade up to 10 or 25mbps with my 2.0 modem?

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

I see that you also create a public thread and you posted in the Direct. We will have someone follow-up with you in the direct.

Andre

Thanks.

I post in both threads because I want to know/show others and communicate with each other to see if there is a trend in Vancouver

Review by Cogeco User See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Excellent sign up and installation coordination"
Bad "No problems so far"
Overall "No problem"

I had this service installed (over Cogeco cable) for a relative in another city who needed basic internet. It seems the Cable 10 Lite package for $34.95 that I ordered in December 2013 has been discontinued, since the current lowest price in her postal code is now $39.95 for a 15 Mbps service. I assume her service will be grandfathered, otherwise I will look at going back to a Cogeco bundle again.

I placed this order by phone since I did not want the modem shipped to the service address. The TekSavvy rep was very knowledgeable and helpful and was able to answer all my questions. The calendar days to install were 23 but I placed the order on Christmas eve. My relative is not a demanding, high volume user but for her purposes everything has worked fine since the Jan 15th, 2014 install date.

Comments:

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

Thank you for your review!!!

Hi there!

Thank you very much for leaving a review for us!

We're happy that the service is functioning well!

As for the price change, unfortunately, current plans will not be grandfathered in, but rather will be bumped to the newer version / price that's currently listed on our website.

If it hasn't already done so, the price change will take effect for existing customers as of Feb. 15. So, while the speed will be bumped up, so will the price in this instance. Unfortunately the current package cannot be grandfathered. I'm terribly sorry about this.

If you have any other questions or concerns, by all means, please let us know!

Thanks again for your time today! Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

Regards,
TSI Joe-C

Review by wooi See Profile

• Location: 58818
Good "the support was knowledgable and good in general ... not that I need to call them often"
Bad "working with rogers through teksavvy could be painful"

I've been with them for many almost 4 years and recommended a few friends joining them.

Once you're set up, it is usually pretty smooth. The iffy part is the set up ... I was down for a few days without internet because I switched package and rogers conveniently messed up my account. I can't really blame teksavvy for the mess up but I do blame the problem resolution arrangement of teksavvy with rogers. It is a pain.

They are probably not the least cost provider -- they are a few bucks more expensive than their competitors -- and sometimes more expensive than the teasing rates rogers offer me. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it -- knowing that Rogers is going to jack up the prices for everyone if without these independent ISP.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hey wooi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others. I’m sorry to hear that you had a bumpy start with us. We are always trying to work with our vendors based off of our customers’ feedback so that we can improve where we can. Your feedback today is definitely appreciated!

We are happy to have you on board with us and if there is anything that we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to ask!

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Works great, professional staff to talk to."
Overall "Extremely pleased! Great service!"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Ordered this service beginning of Feb 2013 activated start of March. I disconnected my Rogers modem at 8 am plugged in new modem was up and running in minutes. Originally ordered 18 / 1 package with a DCM 476 modem supplied by Teksavvy.

Switched to new 35 / 3 package in June when APTIA was completed in Cambridge. Took approximately 2 weeks to get new package.

Changed packages prior to tiers changing on June 7, 2014, speed changed happened on June 11.
Tested speed it is exactly as stated 45 / 4 works great

Dec 18 2014

Still working decent some evening slow downs and high pings for the last month or so, not a deal breaker.Hopefully fixed soon.

member for 1.9 years, 380 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you have been using the service for a few months now without issue. This is wonderful to see. I apologize for the delay in changing your speeds. Generally this is completed within 48 hours however it looks like you made the change when we were having vendor delays. I apologize for that delay.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

re:review

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the update!

Glad to hear that you have the 45/4 package!

Please note that the 45/4 package is no longer available now. You are now on a grandfathered package. Enjoy your service!

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions!
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

canada

Update

Hey Maxx2006!

Thanks for the update on the review, we're are hoping that the issues described in your review have gone away and that you are back on a stable connection. If not, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us.

Review by crt See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Higher bandwidth cap, fair prices, and direct customer service via dslreports forums are all advantages over Rogers."
Bad "Once a year when it's time to upgrade the infrastructure, everything goes back to the dark ages."
Overall "Best residental ISP for Kitchener/Waterloo compared to other competition."

UPDATE - December 9, 2014
Still on 45/4, service since last update has been same as always. But who cares I guess. I doubt their customer service can help me, so I won't even bother. Just going to wait to get back to intermittent 45/4 when Rogers fixes the problem, which I suspect will take 2-3 months.

»www.dropbox.com/s/qwpnwtca8gpe9z···0.15.png

Upload test won't even connect.

UPDATE - July 17, 2013
Upgraded to 45/4 from 28/1. Not impressed by the speeds at all.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2842651967.png

Guess I'll wait for Rogers to fix it, like always. I should have stayed on 28/1. Keeping review scores the same, except for connection reliability. It has been god awful for years.

UPDATE - April 4, 2013
Modem fiasco is being resolved quickly. More updates after I see how the provisioning process goes. Hopefully my current modem does not prematurely deactivate before the new one is ready. Also, I was mistaken about the rates. I'm in Rogers territory, not Cogeco, which is more expensive.

UPDATE - April 3, 2013
Compared to when I first came to TekSavvy, the speeds and stability is much better.

Recently, I ordered a new modem and its been a week with no email for invoice/payment details. Looks like ATPIA rates are more money for slower speeds anyways. I give up again, just going to keep giving them my money because there's nothing better available. Maybe someday I can give a 100% rating.

UPDATE - Sept. 26, 2011
My theory on how Teksavvy is dealing with the network congestion. Step 1) Send Email to Rogers. Step 2) Wait 48 hours. Step 3) Done.

ORIGINAL review
TekSavvy pre sales information and install co-ordination is all a clever lure to take you away from Rogers for more of the same.

I'm supposed to be getting 15 Mbps downstream. For 2 months I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps for more than 12 hours a day.

Direct support forum takes 2 years to respond to any problems. The same drivel is given every time: "Rogers is upgrading, just be patient".

Value for money is terrible with activations fees when I was already on Rogers and had a modem already. They had to send two techs out to look at my modem lights and say 'Okay you're good'. The techs were not even Rogers employees. For all I know they could have been there to steal my TV.

The monthly fees and bandwidth caps are fine. Not that I'll ever reach 300 gb with a 1 Mbps connection. It's still better value than the lightest Rogers package. Though, not by very much.

Highly NOT recommended. Go with DSL or something else.

Comments:

Old Martin

Your Modem order

Hello,

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum as we would like to discuss the Modem with you.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Re: Your Modem order

GOOGLE FIBER

creed3020
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

Massive outage

Do you realize that there is a massive outage today affecting all ATPIA clients: »[OUTAGES] July 17th

I would recommend holding off on speedtests and updating your review on the 45/4 until the smokes clears from these fiber cut/routing issues.

Review by matmat09 See Profile

• Location: Vanier,ON
Good "Best price and best service "
Overall "The best Canadian ISP by far"

You can't beet teksavvy. Best price unmatched service. If your tired of paying high bills and not getting what you pay for like we were then you will be very happy with teksavvy prices. Never had a problem never had the internet dropped and i can now easily host any games with the guys which was impossible when we had bell. Give it a try you won't regret it.

Dec-8-14 update: Still quite satisfied with the service. No issues, reliable as a rock.

Comments:

Old Martin

Thanks for you review

Very happy to hear you have been a satisfied customers.

If you ever have any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

canada

Update

Hey matmat09!

Thanks for the update on the review. Glad that you are still enjoying the service. Don't hesitate to get a hold of us if you ever need anything.

Review by lillypad_339 See Profile

• Location: Breslau,ON
Good "No Slowdowns... Good customer service"
Bad "Was down for 2.5 days once"
Overall "Great service and great price"

I've been with Teksavvy cable for 2 years now.
In this time, there was one bumpy area where it seemed like half on Ontario was down. I think it was a public relations fight with Rogers. They were doing some upgrades and introducing caps at the same time. While I was down, the company offered to send me a wireless stick in the mail.

Since then, I've been up. All the time. To tell you the truth, it's more stable than my Rogers Business internet at work.

I have a comparison, as I used to have Bell DSL.
I use a VPN to connect to the US. While I was with Bell, they did something funky, as I constantly had to reset the VPN settings. It was almost every day that the VPN connection was going down. The DSL speeds were of course slow as hell to boot. It seemed like the maximum rate I could get was 2.5 meg from the VPN even though the advertised rate was 5.

With Teksavvy, I've never had to reset the VPN. It's just always up. For the same price, I have double the cap, and 5 times the speed.
Of course, I've gone to a zap the cap which limits my speed to 9 meg during the hours of 8pm - 12, but now I have no cap. The result is that 2 tv's can now stream movies without risk of going over the cap, where as with Bell we could barely do 1 tv at any given time.

I'm extremely happy with the price, and with the service. I recommend anybody who has rogers cable to make the switch.

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hey lillypad_339!

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you are satisfied with the service. If there is anything that comes up in the future, please do not hesitate to get a hold of us.