TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by palja3344 See Profile

Good "what?"
Bad "Teksavvy don't keep their words."

I am located in the Greater Toronto Area and I and my family have been stayed with Teksavvy for years. Recently we sold out our place but couldn't find a new place. As closing time is coming up, we requested a cancellation order for the service. After that, we luckily found a new place. Even if we had a time gap, about 15 days, between a moving out date and a moving in date, I called Teksavvy and explained about the situation.

An representative told me that I can keep my old plan (which is 25Mg/300g bandwidth with $47) but I need a re-connection order ($65) on my moving out date and have to do a moving order (another $65) on the moving out date. In addition, since I was using an old modem, I was told to change a new modem. So I got a new modem and follow the instruction.

2 days after speaking to the rep, I found that I was charged by a new plan (30Mg/150g bandwidth with $51). I called Teksavvy and a rep told me that I can't keep the old service since the cancellation order was submitted. So I mentioned that I've heard from a previous rep (mentioned the name) that I could keep my old plan since I reconnect on the same day on the same account. The rep was denying what I said and she said that she could do nothing for it.

I wouldn't do the re-connection request if I can't keep my old plan since I can just open a new CID account for a new place from my moving-in date without double paying of $65. At the same time, they let me get a new modem by giving me an assumption that I could keep my old plan. Now it seems that I have to be stuck with Teksavvy if I want to keep using my new modem at my new place.

I talked to a supervisor regarding this matter. He said that he could give me $20 off for a moving charge like I am buying a modem from Teksavvy since I already got the new modem by myself. What? I was spending more than 2 hours on the phone for this mess. Now what. I get only a half bandwidth limit than I used to have and I have to pay more with this mess without a proper apology.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23

Cancelling, Moving and New orders

Hello palja3344 See Profile,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

It certainly seems that much confusion occurred for your request.

Unfortunately, once a Cable service is Cancelled, we are unable to revert that request.

If you were using an modem that is no longer supported, this would have been the reason we requested that you upgrade your device.
Unfortunately, with the moving of the service, the new modem would have been required no matter what.

I would like ot look into your situation if you would let me so I can see what occurred & if there are any coaching opportunities.

Please either send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile or you can post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

I will gladly take a look at your situation & see if we can get to a common ground for your move of service.

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR
palja3344

join:2014-11-19

Re: Cancelling, Moving and New orders

Thank you for your reply, Martin.
I understand that if the cancellation request is submitted, it can't be reverted.
This is why I agreed the re-connection request (even on my moving out date) to keep my old plan on my same account with double paying of $65 by your rep's direction.

If this was not working, then why did your rep give me a false assumption that I could keep my old plan and let me get a new modem? I could have shopped around different ISPs in my new area. This is what I am complaining for.

If your reps are giving different directions to customers, resulting in discrepancy, why is the onus on customers? shouldn't it be on Teksavvy?

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Re: Cancelling, Moving and New orders

Hello palja3344,
Thank you again for your post. I am one of the Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. This issue the way you describe it is not something we like to see at TekSavvy. My partner Keith and I would very much like to look into this issue to see where all went wrong.

In order to do that we need your help. Could you please DM your account information here »TekSavvy Direct so we can have a look?

Regards,
TSI John Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Review by muirwoods See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "At least someone always picks up the phone"
Bad "Does not keep any of their promises"
Overall "Took my money and delivered nothing"

I am located in the Greater Vancouver Area, and I ordered the 10mbit cable service for about $35/month from Teksavvy a few weeks ago. Teksavvy was supposed to send a technician to my house to activate and configure my cable internet on Friday Nov 7, 2014 between 8AM-noon. I took the day off to wait for the technician...and no one showed up. Frustrated, shortly after the noon deadline, I immediately called Teksavvy and spoke to an agent named Kaleena, who said the best they can do is send an email to Shaw and wait for a response within 24-48 hours, and was willing to give me 50% off next month's bill. This was absolutely a joke, as I took an entire day off to wait for this, and 50% off the bill for a month is nothing compared to my entire day's pay. I asked if a tech could come in over the weekend, as I work all day every weekdays, and I simply CANNOT take another weekday off this month. I was denied.

Over the next couple of days I called and demanded a full refund, speaking to numerous Teksavvy agents. I spoke to an agent named Kyle, who said that Teksavvy is only responsible up until the "demarc zone", as he said, which to my understanding, was the Shaw box on the outside of my house, and that my interior cabling was my responsibility to correct. This was ridiculous for me to hear, as he's saying that the tech just simply connects the cable outside the house and goes on his merry way without checking if the internet actually works in our house?! What a freaking joke. Plus, I was never informed of this when I ordered the service weeks ago. Is this the kind of service Teksavvy gives to its customers?

On Tuesday Nov 11th, STILL no communication/updates from Teksavvy after more than 48 hours since I reported no show from the technician, I'm simply not interested in doing business with a company with this kind of non-existent service. After calling at least 7 times over the past week, I finally was able to cancel and give a full refund which I requested each and every time I called.

Long story short, Teksavvy wasted my entire day of Nov 7th and corresponding day's pay, hours of my time on the phone, and my trust in the company for failing to meet any of their promises. I have learned my lesson: I will never be a customer of a company who simply resell internet services. Teksavvy is at the mercy of companies who actually owns and maintains the network infrastructure (Eg. Shaw, Telus…).

Avoid my headache and nightmare with Teksavvy: stick with the big boys who actually created the infrastructure. It's worth the extra cost.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Re: Your review

Hello there,

I'm very sorry to hear what you went through trying to get set up with us. I'm glad to hear that you were (finally) able to get the refund. I'd like to ask though, would you mind posting your account info in the »TekSavvy Direct forum so that we can investigate everything that happened here and see what we can do to avoid these issues or improve the way we handle them.

Review

I was really hoping you would allow us the opportunity to investigate so we can make right on our wrongs.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with your info.

Crow

@69.196.171.x

1 recommendation

Demarc

Surprise ! , they are only responsible up to the demarc point . The inside wiring is up to you or the electriction you hire to do any work .

Review by BellisHell See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Excellent Transparency, Blasing fast connection off peck"
Bad "Transfer process just a bit wonky, slow downs + high pings, and modem requirements are vague ATM!"
Overall "New or old, it's the same good ol' TekSavvy I know!"

*Old TekSavvy Review (2011 - 2014)*

I was a hesitant switcher due to the massive amounts of reviews saying "I can not recommend Teksavvy to anyone anymore". But I bit the bullet and called up Teksavvy to order their home phone service along with cable internet. The ordering process was quick, easy and every bit of info I needed was given. The installer came on time and installed everything to my liking, with a bit of that rogers walled garden but that was a non-issue. There was also that disconnection issue that happened in the Brampton area but I wasn't to affected by it though I did become a STAC 02.16 firmware tester to see if the issues were resolved (and believed or not, it worked!). Teksavvy is the only company that wanted to work with me to solve an issue like that disconnection issue. I have been with Bell, Rogers, 3Web, Acanac, and many others, they just can't compare to what Teksavvy can offer to us. I don't write reviews often for different companies, as writing a bad review of those folks are a waste of my time and bandwidth. Teksavvy's the only company that had made me feel that it is worth anything to write a positive review about them. Thanks Teksavvy, I'm a very happy camper.

Update*

My connection is still running strong! No disconnects and excellent speeds during peak hours here in the Brampton region. Now, I can truly say that this connection of mine is definitely reliable, enough that I can trust IP Telephony.

I have switched to TekTalk for home phone as of now. Nothing wrong with the service at all, just that there's tons of static on Bell's behalf. As a recent switcher, I decided to do away of anything Bell related and move to the more modern IP telephony way of home phone.

Update as of AUG 29, 2013*

Being hit with the infamous "blinking uplink light", my connection has suffered in tiny disconnects and frustration. I want to believe that TekSavvy isn't at fault because I know it is for the most part Rogers, but it is really hard not to do so. Reason being is that CS just out right seems off, not how it was in the past where it was straight forward. I have a feeling they are also blaming my own equipment, which I know 110% is working fine. I have contemplated on switching to Start Communications, but what is the point if the issues are still there? Seriously, I'd rather have Rogers loosen the death grip on IISP's than to deal with IISP's on incumbent network issues to no avail.

Update as of Sept. 17, 2013*

Had my disconnection issues looked at by a Link-On technician, and the connection now seems to be working fine. I have filed a speed profile change and I am currently waiting for that to be processed. I will update my review on that as the days go by.

Update As of Apr. 18, 2014*

After using my connection since the last time I updated this review, nothing has changed. No disconnects, hiccups...NADA. This is what you would call a completely stable and reliable connection. But after some severe debate with my family and myself, I have decided to switch to another IISP by May 3rd. No, this is not the fault of TekSavvy. I am leaving at my own discretion. Perhaps in search for experience of a wider ecosystem of ISP. I will say this... I WILL return to TekSavvy when that experience ride of mine is nothing but sourness, crap and a waste of my time as TekSavvy will seem like the only haven in the entire ecosystem. Even when I leave, I will still recommend TekSavvy to everyone switching to an IISP for the first time or from notoriously bad IISPs. Don't take my word for it, switch and experience what you have missed out with your big telco or cable company.

*New TekSavvy Review (2014 - ?)*

Update as of Sept. 23rd 2014*

I'm back TekSavvy! It's funny, since I found out about the new plans TekSavvy has and one of the plans particularly stood out, the 150Mbps/15Mbps Unlimited plan @ 119.95 a month. I'm currently waiting for the cancellation of my current IISP (and the release of modem). I'll update during the transfer process and usage of the service as I did for my old review.

Update as of Oct. 3rd 2014*

I know it has been a while. With only a days worth of downtime (very acceptable, IMHO)... WOOOOT! I got my internet connection! And it's pretty darn fast and stable!

»www.speedtest.net/result/3806954697.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/107634337.png

The technician came on time and went, leaving a pristine connection in place. I couldn't be any happier. (I can not vouch for everyone's experience with techs though)

Throughout the process, TekSavvy kept me up to date on my order status and was completely transparent in regards to the installation of my connection.

I can say that this is the very experience I had when I first went with TekSavvy (With the old 28/1 300gb plan).

I will continue to update for reliability and connection speeds as I use the connection. Thanks TekSavvy!

Update as of Oct. 10th 2014*

It's been a week, and I have been loving my internet connection! My connection has been 110+ mbps even during peek, and the line quality is excellent and stable.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3823268152.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/108127788.png

Update as of Nov. 11th 2014*

Speed test between 7 PM to 11 PM: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3902512633
Speedtest 11 PM after: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3902630396

It's been a month of using my connection. For the most part, it is pretty good until the start of last 2 weeks where I have been getting pretty bad congestion pass 7 PM. As well, I have noticed the 150 plans weren't there anymore (it was pretty shocking as I just recently signed up). I do realise that it is about rogers imposing modem/gateway requirements on 150+ plans. To be honest, the whole situation seems to be shrouded in mystery and as a recent subscriber to the 150 plan, I'm way more confused than anything else in this regard. I have also noticed the speed slow downs and high pings seems to be clockwork plus/minus 5 minutes when it happens (To me, it seems this was done intentionally and suddenly). If push comes to shove, I will not yield to a price tag of $300+ on a gateway for 150+ plans on TekSavvy. I already have a solid backbone for Wireless (AC) and ethernet networking (painstakingly perfected to support 1Gbps fibre services in the future), so I have no use for an 'All-in-one' device. In conclusion, I hope to receive clarification soon on the gateway requirement part.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Bellishell,

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to see you have been enjoying the service thoroughly and you did not have any issues with installing the services. This is great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

In regards to your current service you shouldn’t be receiving disconnects. I would be more than happy to look into your account and assist with investigating what is happening with your connection to find a solution for you. Please feel free to message us directly in the Direct forum. We are happy to help.

Thank you again for this review!!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

KrissyB79

@199.71.244.x

Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Technician set up my teksavvy Sept 5 - since that time I have not once had the internet up and working. I've sat on hold 4 different nights for 1 hour, and have logged a tech support ticket. Have not been contacted or successfull got through once. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I am not very technical and its probably something fixable - but I cant get throught to anyone!

join:2011-08-24
canada

Re: Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Hi KrissyB79,

I am very sorry to read about your experience so far. I would like my team to look into your situation and try their best to assist you in resolving this issue. Could you post with your account information in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct if you haven't done so already?

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

join:2011-08-24
canada

Update

Thanks for the quick update BellisHell, please keep us posted and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello BellisHell,

Thank you for the updated review. We are sorry to see you leave however we certainly do understand. It is excellent that you will continue to be an advocate for TekSavvy even though you are going to another provider.

Thank you very much for the review and if you have any further questions or concerns TekSavvy can be reached directly in the Direct forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

TSI JonD
join:2013-07-29

Hello Bellishell,

Thanks so much for the update!

I'm glad to hear that you plan to switch to the Cable 150/15 with us, this is excellent news!

I see that you plan to keep us updated on this process, please be sure to! We love being kept up to date and being able to help whenever we can.

Best regards,
Jon

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

Updated review

Heya!

Awesome to hear it's still rock solid and that you're still happy with us! Please let us know if you need anything - we're always glad to help.

TSI Kris

Updates

thanks for posting updates. I am happy to see your connection is rock solid.

Happy Thanksgiving

Review by TSIFTW See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "A CEO you can stand behind and a company COMMITTED to excellence."
Bad "Relying on Rogers/Bell/Cogeco etc."
Overall "Awesome service, great price."

Been a lurker on this site for awhile now, looking at reviews and forums in order to get as much information as possible to make the right decision on which ISP I wanted to sign up with. I've read enough to know Rogers and Bell were automatically nixed from the conversation and it was really down to either Cogeco or Teksavvy for me. As someone who has been reliant on ACN's 6mpbs/0.8mbps dsl package (which was fine, albeit painfully slow at times) for the last 5 years, I was looking for something with a little more oomph. Decided to go with Teksavvy as I have seen Marc post numerous times on this site and really appreciated how he took such a "hands-on" approach to matters. Along with that, there is a small handful of very dedicated employee's on this site monitoring customer satisfaction and really busting hump for it. So with that, along with a $7/month savings over Cogeco's same package the choice was clear after the smoke settled.

So I signed up for TekSavvy 20/2 package mid July and was informed of an tentative install date 13 days out, and that I can check in to see if the date will be confirmed by Cogeco. Not the greatest thing ever, but I could still hotspot off my phone in the mean time. The CS rep I spoke with was nice and knowledgeable.

Day of install rolls around and the 8-5 window comes and goes and at this point I know the date is tentative with no response from Cogeco cause I had called in a couple times to see if they had confirmed. I was worried that I'm going to have to wait another 2 weeks at this point so I call back in and explain that the tech never made it for the install. I am put on hold for a short time and the rep comes back to me and lets me know that they resubmitted my install to Cogeco and will get a call to confirm a new date for install. Was really starting to get worried at this point, but not 5 hours later did I get a call letting me know that a tech will be there in 2 days. Date of install, tech shows up bright and early, was there for 5 mins max, checked all signal levels and was off.

*****UPDATE NOV 7, 2014****

Has it been a year and a half already? You know that old saying, you don't notice something till it's gone? Well my internet has barely even hiccuped since I've got it! I mean there was the congestion issues back in January and the one RF issue in April that lasted all of a day but come on, no internet provider is perfect.

Any how, yet again, another great review for a company that is clearly just looking out for the common consumer. I watch the forums and see how the agents just get bashed by people and still maintain dignity and professionalism, that is just fantastic. Thanks a lot guys for all you do!

****UPDATE - MAY 15, 2013****

Still rock solid service, but now with MOAR channel bonding!! Gotta say the 10meg upload they did awhile back sure was a nice surprise. So now we are going on almost a year and in that whole time I had one RF hiccup that lasted all of about 36hrs from start to tech visit. For all the people who have had issues with TekSavvy, let my experience show you what it's like on the flip side of the coin.

Damn near perfect service, free service upgrade and quick efficient service from all contribute to another satisfied customer who has already signed up almost 10 of my friends and family!

Been happily cruising along at my full 20 since and I haven't looked back. Been loving having this much of a speed boost and a rock solid connection with not even a hiccup in performance! Thanks TekSavvy!

member for 1.2 years, 117 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Marc
join:2006-06-23

Thanks

Thanks and welcome aboard.
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
TSIFTW

join:2013-08-24
Windsor, ON

Re: Thanks

Thanks a lot Marc, and this is why I have such high praise for your service, you're the freaking CEO and you're good enough to take the time to welcome me. I see all the stuff you're personally going thru in Rogers land and still you take the time.

Hat's off to you good sir!

join:2012-07-09

Update

Thanks for the update! Always happy to hear from our customers and get any feedback we can.

Glad to hear all is working well for you. Should there be any hiccups in the future (knock on wood!) you know where to find us

Review by tired See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "Great value, reliable speed, no caps, friendly service"
Bad "Support when there are issues is not very helpful or quick."
Overall "Great when it works, which thankfully is almost all of the time. But when there are issues it is painful."

·TELUS
Ordered the 25 MBPS Unlimited cable using a purchased Thomson DCM 475. Tech visit went smoothly though getting online initially was complicated by some challenges with the modem information at Shaw and it took a few calls to get that sorted out. Everyone I dealt with has been incredibly friendly and helpful.

member for 3.9 years, 283 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI ShawnS

RE: Review

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

When complications arise, we do all we can to rectify the issue, in a friendly, helpful and professional manner.

If you experience any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us via the »TekSavvy Direct Forum, via email at support@teksavvy.com or via phone at 1-877-779-1575. Open 24/7! (Excluding Christmas day)

Thank you.
TSI Shawn S

Re: Your review

Thanks for your recent update. I'm sorry to hear there were some bumps in the road but thrilled to hear we were able to get everything worked out for you and that you've been happy with the customer service.

Should any further issues/concerns come up in the future, we're always here for you.

Have a great weekend!

Review by TeksavvyFan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Amazing features, best price around"
Bad "Could be better upload speeds"
Overall "Simply the No.1 ISP in Canada. Get with them NOW if not already."

I have been through quite a few ISPs in my time, I've gone to Rogers about 4 times and signed up with Bell about 3, then I tried out some indie ISPs like ACN, then Acanac and then finally Teksavvy. Bell was slow back in the day and Rogers was always and still is ludicrously expensive. Both have pathetic uploads unless you get the insanely expensive packages. ACN was cheaper but slow. Acanac used to be good until their prices rose and started capping certain plans and got rid of some of their lower tier plans altogether. Then I found Teksavvy, $42 a month for 25/2 with 300GBs. This plan isn't available anymore but I still have it and I love it. I learned as well that uploads are totally free and they even have a neat feature called "zap the cap" where your download speeds are reduced by roughly 65% between the hours of 8pm-12am in exchange for a removed download cap.

Comments:

TSI Andre

2 edits

Wowza!

Glad to hear you're enjoying what we have to offer. Two Thumbs Up!

Review by motomandd See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great speeds, Great Price, Great Service!"
Bad "Ping times a little high."
Overall "Great Value for your money! Unlimited Prices a bit high, but never go over anyway."

***Note*** I'm with the Cable services in Quebec who uses Videotron as an Incumbent.

Ordered the Cable 60 300GB @ $79,95/Month on the 21st of March, Got installed on the 4th of April.

Tech was great, Installed in 20 minutes, cracking jokes and making everything nice and tidy with the cabling.

Am using a DCM475 with a TP-Link WR1043ND, Making everything run nice and smoothly, always at 60 down 10 up.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2949227624

UPDATE 3/21: Recently moved to another part of town, bringing my services with me. Minus the 3rd party videotron techs who refused to do the work until I called a number on their van and complained, It went great, and service is still extraordinary!

UPDATE: 10/31: Cancelled my services due to moving somewhere where services are already active. Easy, No hassle cancellation, Sad to have left.

member for 1.7 years, 321 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Motomandd,

Thank you for this fantastic review! I am very happy to see the installation went smoothly and the technician was tentative and thorough with your installation, it is also nice to see the technician was friendly with you. I am also very ecstatic to see the installation was completed rather quickly from ordering the service to installation. This is wonderful to see. Thank you for including the speedtest for your service in this review. The speeds you are receiving look fantastic!

Thanks again for this review and please keep us posted on your connection.
If you have any questions or concerns we can be reached through the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
motomandd

join:2013-03-04
Gatineau, QC

Re: Review

Hey Ashleigh!

My pleasure! I adore this connection, its pretty much perfect!

My only complaint is for some strange reason I cannot get the 120 down connnection, but strangely I can get it with Videotron. Any ideas?

Update!

Thanks for the update. Glad you are still lovin' it!

Ahhhh

We are sad you left too!

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "no throttling and higher caps for cheaper"
Bad "start up costs are high"
Overall "If it's available in your area, get it,"

·Rogers Hi-Speed
I had been with Rogers for about 10 years and about a year ago I got dinged big time by overage charges one month. Since then I'd hoped more ISPs would emerge so I could switch.

About 2 months ago I noticed a Teksavvy ad in a bus shelter on my way home from work. Checked them out, found out they were available in my area so about 2 weeks later I ordered the express service.

I got the modem about 2 days after I ordered. And on the day it was supposed to activate, I just plugged in the modem and was good.

What's great is they don't throttle torrents so you can have them finish in no time if there are enough seeders. I was having some things download at 1MB/second which I've never seen before. And not only that, you have a 300gb cap as well which I'd imagine would be difficult to reach so you can actually go with Netflix if you were considering it and not worry. Also, no DNS redirects if you mistype a URL.

The only drawback for me is the high startup costs, you have to buy the modem, pay an activation fee of $65(which they knock $20 off if you buy the modem from them), and pay the first month in one fell swoop. But to get away from Robbers though, it's worth it.

If Teksavvy is available in your area, you should make the switch.

member for 3.3 years, 510 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Alan

Thanks For Your Review

Thanks for your review - and welcome to the TekSavvy family!

Glad to hear the switch has been a positive experience for you.

Let us know if there is ever anything we can assist you with.

Regards,
TSI Alan (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee
Follow us on Twitter: @TekSavvyCSR; @TekSavvyNetwork

Hung Dao

@99.224.103.x

Roger over usage

Move in to my new address since Aug 2013 got the promotion from my builder 6 month free of 150gb/month with rogers. after six month I had to pay around $600 on top of the free service ,because mostly every month my usage was over 50gb to 60gb that I could not track. Then i pumped up my usage to 300gb which is double the previous cap, I believed that I have a large gap to the cap for safety??? can you image that I still received 60gb over of my 300gb cap some time... what the...
So I called to cancel the service to GET AWAY from Rogers, they will disconnect my service this Nov 11, 2014. I will come back with Teksavvy, the internet provider that I used before I switched to Rogers. With 300gb at Teksavvy I never had gone over usage.

Review by peatbog See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast"
Overall "So Far So Good"

2014 10 13 Update

I switched to teksavvy cable 20/10 in August. The service has been fine except for the one-day or so glitch (some general problem - not teksavvy alone) several weeks ago. Since the glitch, the download speed has continued at a steady 20, and the upload speed is now a steady 10, as opposed to the lower average I was getting before it.

Testing is done several times a day using speedtest.net, so the speeds should be representative. I am not on the pc after 7pm or thereabouts, so God knows what happens then, but for my usage, the service could not be better.

---

2014 08 01 Initial Review

I decided to get cable because, for one or two dollars more a month than our dsl connection, I can get 20/10 for download/upload, and that is much faster than the dsl we had. There is no static IP but that is ok because we no longer run our mail server, and the web server is hardly ever used by us.

The cable installer showed up on Wednesday and connected the cable. He reported a good signal and attached the cable to the new modem that I had bought several days earlier from teksavvy. He said to give it 20 minutes to sync up or whatever it does, and left. There was no other hand-holding. I had also bought an asus wireless router since my dlink is about 4 years old, and had managed to get it running with my dsl connection.

After running an errand, I came home and found all the lights lit on the modem, plugged in the router, and it worked.

Since then, the connection has been fine. I have been home all week and have tested the connection speed several times a day: it almost always hits 20 download, while the upload varies anywhere from 3 to 10, averaging around 6 or 7. Since we were getting .6 for upload with the dsl connection, even 3 for upload is hot stuff. The dsl gave us 5 for download, so 20 is terrific.

The main use is with two desktop computers, but we also have a laptop and that gets a good signal anywhere in the house.

So far so good.

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for the review of your TekSavvy services! I am happy to hear you have our Cable internet connected and have had minimal issues with it and are receiving consistent speeds. I am happy to see the installation went smoothly and everything connected right away. This is fantastic to see!!!

If you have any questions or concerns we can always be found in the Direct Forumhttps://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

tsi-ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - Social Media Team

Re: latest Update

Hello Peatbog,

Thank you for your update!
We are pleased to see that you are still enjoying your Cable service! If you have any other questions please feel free to either reach out to us in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum or call an agent at 1-877-779-1575.

Shawn S

Review by carl819 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cheap price"
Bad "Impossible to have a technician, tech support, lack of communication"
Overall "AVOID AT ALL COST, dishonest company"

·Distributel Cable
EDIT : AVOID Teksavvy.

Small suppliers get you with cheap prices, which is great as long as internet works but the minute you need to send a technician, it is really complicated. It took Teksavvy 1 month before having an appointment with a technician when they told me the delay would be 2 weeks. After waiting a month, I told them Videotron could have me an appointment in the next 48 hours and I will change for them. Teksavvy called me 24 hours later to tell me they managed to find a technician.

Also, when I initially called them, they told me that during the WHOLE time internet was down, that they would credit me and just to call them after the technician came. When I called them after the technician came, they told me they would only credit me for 1 week, which is not what they told me.

I filed a complaint with the CRTC since I could not have an adequate resolution. All I wanted was to be credited for the downtime. I will update my review regarding the proceeding. I have a logic that you pay if you have a service. If you don't have a service, you shouldn't have to pay. Clearly, teksavvy doesn't believe in that logic.

If I were you, I would prefer dealing with a larger supplier like Videotron or Rogers because even if you pay less with these small suppliers, when you have internet problems, you are sure that you have a quick and efficient service. Yeah, I save 10$/month but I also had to spent 10 hours arguing with Teksavvy and had to have 1 month without internet.

!!! AVOID AT ALL COST !!!!

Comments:

TSI Andre
Chatham, ON

Update

Hi there,

I am sorry that your experience wasn't so great. Unfortunately, it has become a problem for all TPIA providers in regards to receiving this type of service from the incumbents. Many of our customers have missed tech visits and unnecessary delays.

This is the busiest time of the year for all providers which causes these issues. We filed at the CRTC level last year for this exact type of stuff.

I hope things get settled soon for you. Don't hesitate to post in the direct if you need further help.

Sorry again.

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

RE: Update

Hello carl819,

Thank you for your latest update.
Would you care to provide us with any feedback for your latest update?
Is there anything you would like for us to look into for you?

If so, please do not hesitate to post in the »TekSavvy Direct Forum.

Warm regards,
Shawn S
JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
·TekSavvy DSL

Seems pretty honest to me

So the incumbent (Videotron) is playing games with them, TSI still manage to get you a tech faster than Videotron is scheduling them for, TSI offers you a credit for your down time (which sounds like it was less than a week) and TSI is the dishonest one?
carl819

join:2013-12-12
Canada

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23

Re: .

said by carl819:

You clearly don't understand the review
First, how you seem to know the incumbent (Videotron) is playing games... how would you know that ?
Second, Videotron could get me a technician faster than TSI (24h - 48h vs 4 weeks) and TSI got me a technician only after I told them Videotron could send me one once I told them Videotron proposed a technician within the next 48 hours..

Third, if you have to pay while your service is out, and to add to it, when a representative told you you wouldn't have to pay, is simply dishonest

Hey Carl,

Sorry for being brash and I definitely wasn't as clear as I ought to have been. For those of us who spend a fair amount of time on these forms it has become common knowledge that the cable incumbents are "playing games" with the IISPs across the board (not just Teksavvy). IISPs are forbidden by the CRTC from sending out their own technicians, they must submit a ticket with the incumbent and get their technicians to do the work.

What's happening is that the incumbents, in this case Videotron, are scheduling technicians in such a way that it maximizes the "support" time for IISPs and minimizes the "install" time for themselves. This encourages people to switch back to the incumbents as, while the install tech is out, they'll fix any problems at the same time as the install. The reason they do this is that it costs them the same amount of money to roll a "support" technician for an IISP and an "install" technician for themselves (there's no difference between the two technicians).

It's one of the many dirty tactics incumbents are using to try to curb the loss of customers/regain customers who are leaving/have left seeking lower prices/better service. The reason you were able to get a technician faster than the scheduled time is that someone at Teksavvy went to bat for you and got you bumped up Videotron's repair schedule. TSI does not have the ability to force Videotron to do a repair faster due to the CRTC rules that are in place.

I obviously don't know the full details of your situation, only you and TSI do. What I do know is that TSI records all calls and Andre reviews them, especially when such complaints come up. If someone said you'd be credited he'd make sure it was honoured. Based on what you wrote and what I know of TSI in these situations it seems like there's more to the story. I also know that TSI's typical response to a loss of sync for an extended period is to credit the account for the down time because it is a pre-paid service. Depends on the situation obviously. The most common reasons I know of for not receiving a credit is if you weren't actually losing sync or the problem was found to be inside the home.

As I say, I don't know the full details.