TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by BellisHell See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Excellent CS, Installations on time, Pleasant company to be part of, and performance was all great in the beginning."
Bad "Only one thing, "
Overall "You can't go wrong with Teksavvy only if your line stats are top notch."

·Start Communicat..
I was a hesitant switcher due to the massive amounts of reviews saying "I can not recommend Teksavvy to anyone anymore". But I bit the bullet and called up Teksavvy to order their home phone service along with cable internet. The ordering process was quick, easy and every bit of info I needed was given. The installer came on time and installed everything to my liking, with a bit of that rogers walled garden but that was a non-issue. There was also that disconnection issue that happened in the Brampton area but I wasn't to affected by it though I did become a STAC 02.16 firmware tester to see if the issues were resolved (and believed or not, it worked!). Teksavvy is the only company that wanted to work with me to solve an issue like that disconnection issue. I have been with Bell, Rogers, 3Web, Acanac, and many others, they just can't compare to what Teksavvy can offer to us. I don't write reviews often for different companies, as writing a bad review of those folks are a waste of my time and bandwidth. Teksavvy's the only company that had made me feel that it is worth anything to write a positive review about them. Thanks Teksavvy, I'm a very happy camper.

Update*

My connection is still running strong! No disconnects and excellent speeds during peak hours here in the Brampton region. Now, I can truly say that this connection of mine is definitely reliable, enough that I can trust IP Telephony.

I have switched to TekTalk for home phone as of now. Nothing wrong with the service at all, just that there's tons of static on Bell's behalf. As a recent switcher, I decided to do away of anything Bell related and move to the more modern IP telephony way of home phone.

Update as of AUG 29, 2013*

Being hit with the infamous "blinking uplink light", my connection has suffered in tiny disconnects and frustration. I want to believe that TekSavvy isn't at fault because I know it is for the most part Rogers, but it is really hard not to do so. Reason being is that CS just out right seems off, not how it was in the past where it was straight forward. I have a feeling they are also blaming my own equipment, which I know 110% is working fine. I have contemplated on switching to Start Communications, but what is the point if the issues are still there? Seriously, I'd rather have Rogers loosen the death grip on IISP's than to deal with IISP's on incumbent network issues to no avail.

Update as of Sept. 17, 2013*

Had my disconnection issues looked at by a Link-On technician, and the connection now seems to be working fine. I have filed a speed profile change and I am currently waiting for that to be processed. I will update my review on that as the days go by.

Update As of Apr. 18, 2014*

After using my connection since the last time I updated this review, nothing has changed. No disconnects, hiccups...NADA. This is what you would call a completely stable and reliable connection. But after some severe debate with my family and myself, I have decided to switch to another IISP by May 3rd. No, this is not the fault of TekSavvy. I am leaving at my own discretion. Perhaps in search for experience of a wider ecosystem of ISP. I will say this... I WILL return to TekSavvy when that experience ride of mine is nothing but sourness, crap and a waste of my time as TekSavvy will seem like the only haven in the entire ecosystem. Even when I leave, I will still recommend TekSavvy to everyone switching to an IISP for the first time or from notoriously bad IISPs. Don't take my word for it, switch and experience what you have missed out with your big telco or cable company.

member for 2.6 years, 87 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Bellishell,

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to see you have been enjoying the service thoroughly and you did not have any issues with installing the services. This is great to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

In regards to your current service you shouldn’t be receiving disconnects. I would be more than happy to look into your account and assist with investigating what is happening with your connection to find a solution for you. Please feel free to message us directly in the Direct forum. We are happy to help.

Thank you again for this review!!

TSI-Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

KrissyB79

@199.71.244.x

Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Technician set up my teksavvy Sept 5 - since that time I have not once had the internet up and working. I've sat on hold 4 different nights for 1 hour, and have logged a tech support ticket. Have not been contacted or successfull got through once. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I am not very technical and its probably something fixable - but I cant get throught to anyone!

canada

Re: Problems with connectivity since technician set up

Hi KrissyB79,

I am very sorry to read about your experience so far. I would like my team to look into your situation and try their best to assist you in resolving this issue. Could you post with your account information in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct if you haven't done so already?

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

canada

Update

Thanks for the quick update BellisHell, please keep us posted and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello BellisHell,

Thank you for the updated review. We are sorry to see you leave however we certainly do understand. It is excellent that you will continue to be an advocate for TekSavvy even though you are going to another provider.

Thank you very much for the review and if you have any further questions or concerns TekSavvy can be reached directly in the Direct forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Review by jkelso_1 See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Good "Was good while it lasted. Consistent speed whenever I tested."
Bad "Horrible tech support"
Overall "I stopped using them."

I will start by saying I have had Teksavvy for a few years now with minimal disruption to service. Being down when the whole region is having issues is acceptable.

I had the TekSavvy Extreme Cable 28 which doesn't show on their site anymore. Closest comparable would be the Cable 25 which is $7 + tax cheaper.

Order and install was easy. The techs who did the install found a bad connection from my house to Rogers and fixed it. Outside of my house at the pole.

Modem is Thomson DCM 475

Not so any more. For weeks now I have had intermittent issues. The modem reboots. First step for me was to reboot the modem manually which did not fix anything. I then checked Teksavvy site and found they had issues with cable in my area so I did not call or open my own ticket.

After a few more days, I checked the Teksavvy site and my area was cleared. I did a factory reset which didn't fix it so I emailed tech support and began a six day eight tech journey of frustration with their first level support.

"What are the lights doing on the modem?"

Power solid
DS solid
US Slow blink
online solid link flickering

"That looks like it could be an RF problem. If possible could you please log into that modem, you can do so by typing 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. Once in the Thompson configuration page you can click on diagnostics on the left. Once your on the diagnostic page, can you take a screen shot of that?

This way we will be able to see what the problem is with the modem and get the service restored for you if it is In fact an RF (Radio Frequency)"

I sent the screen shot and added the event log for good measure which showed multiple events. No ranging response received, DHCP warnings , re-initializing etc...
Screen shot of events attached.

I eventually did my homework and found what those errors mean here »volpefirm.com/docsis_timout_descriptions/

They kept insisting I take a screen shot while I was experiencing the issue. I never did figure out how to take a screen shot "while the modem was rebooting"

"Your logs do show us what may be wrong but logs alone do not confirm your issue. Your signal levels do look in spec but because your issue is intermittent, we need tests done while you have the problem. Please provide new signal levels and the information below when you are experiencing the issue."

I warned them if this was not resolved before next billing cycle I was gone. They had a week left.

I finally got to the next level of support where they say they opened a ticket with Rogers. Apparently I didn't really reboot the modem when I unplugged it, even though one of the times I left it unplugged for 30 minutes.

"Update: We have received an update from the vendor and they require additional information.
Next Steps: Our vendor confirmed that your modem was not power cycled, we need to ensure this has been completed before we can proceed with opening a repair ticket. Please disconnect the power from your modem for 30 seconds and reconnect. Please let us know if this resolves your issue or if it continues to persist and we will follow-up with our vendor for a dispatch."

I reboot it again and got this reply.

"Thank you for the reply. I would suggest to give it a few days just to be sure."

Ultimately, I got this from them. Again, insisting I get a screenshot while it is rebooting.

"At this point Rogers has closed the ticket and it will not be re-opened until we have information from your connection that show an issue. So far the modem's diagnostic information that you sent do not show any signal/power issues. Also, the IP Config information showed that your computer had a public IP address that would only be obtained if the connection was functioning fine. Due to the intermittent nature of the issue, we have not been able to get the information require by Rogers to send a repair ticket.

At this point the best option we have to get the issue repaired is to complete the troubleshooting template that Rogers has us fill out. We need to "catch" the issue when you are experiencing connection problems. Rogers WILL NOT open a repair ticket without a completed troubleshooting template and will most likely reject any tickets sent with no problems found on the line. This is why we requested your IP information after you sent the modem's diagnostic information because there were no issues for us to open a ticket with."

I did at some point through this ordeal mention that there had been corrosion that the install techs had found on the original install but this fell on deaf ears. they were too focused on the script they follow.

"While I understand your frustration, I'm not sure you completely understand our process for dealing with issues like this. In case you were not aware, we are a reseller of services provided by the Rogers' network. This means that A) we don't have access to your modem to see stats or event logs, B) we do not have our own techs that we can just dispatch out to resolve the issue C) Most of the technical support staff here at Teksavvy are trained to look at a problem from this type of perspective, so we're quite persistent on getting the information needed to move forward with submitting a repair ticket."

They can blame Rogers all they like, I was paying Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Keith

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I do see that your cancellation order has already been placed so I won't really be able to offer any assistance here. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulty you had. Not only with the service issues, but with reporting the issue and getting a ticket submitted for you. These interactions are being reviewed and will be used as a learning experience to improve ourselves and attempt to avoid situation like this in the future.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
jkelso_1

join:2009-10-01
Newmarket, ON

Re: Your Review

I accept your apology.

Thank you for the generous offer but we cannot come back. We have already paid for service elsewhere.

sorry I missed you

Hello again,

I had just tried to call you and left a voice mail. We'd like to see if there's anything we can do to keep you on board and make you a happy customer again here. I've sent you a PM including my personal email here. I would love to hear from you either in response to what I have offered or as a means of providing additional feedback.

Keith
TSI Keith Online Services Account Manager - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by dan_n256 See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Great value! good speeds and good serive "
Bad "Had a few hickups with connection. overall very stable "
Overall "If you are shopping for internet teksavvy should be the one to get"

Ordered unlimited package two years ago, plans have changed since then. first plan I was with I was paying $60 a month for 28megabit unlimited I went to 45megabit 300gb capped which costs $56.

the change only took two days to complete. I average 200gb per month so I am ok with bandwidth. my connection went down a couple of times over the past two years it was only down for a little while. speeds have always been great as advertised. the bottom line is teksavvy is a really good isp. maybe the only thing I would like to see is 45megabit connection with unlimited bandwidth for around the same price im paying right now.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Dan_n256,

Thank you for the review. I am happy to see that you have been enjoying your service for a few years with minimal issue. This is wonderful to see. I am also happy to see you were able to upgrade into our newly introduced Cable speed once it was introduced.

If you have any further questions please send us a message in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help you.

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Bandwidth."
Bad "Depends on Rogers."
Overall "If it works for you, then it's worth it."

Had ups and downs but overall, I am satisfied with Teksavvy Internet Cable. Currently on 25/2 plan with 300gb.

member for 5.5 years, 808 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Martin

Issue resolved?

Your direct forum thread says you called in & issue was resolved... Are you still having issues?

erfans

join:2008-10-10

Re: Issue resolved?

That was regarding TekSavvy's phone service. Please see this thread for more details, and no, it has not been resolved since I am still waiting for a technician to arrive:
»Re: Teksavvy the time has come.

I never opened a thread in the direct forums regarding gaming and youtube. Thanks to TSI, I haven't been able to stream youtube for the past couple of weeks! It's ridiculous!

Re: Issue resolved?

Didn't want to assume but you edited your thread & it said.... I had no idea this was related to phone.

called in tech support and got this sorted out. thanks.
There is no information about your account for me to help you out further... I'm just trying to help you out.
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

erfans

join:2008-10-10

Re: Issue resolved?

Thanks Martin. Bell tech showed up yesterday (Wednesday) to fix the wiring outside. Much appreciated. I still don't have the $25 credit on my latest invoice dated Oct 19 (read my updated review for more information). This invoice was supposed to have the credit on it because the TSI agent who was initially signing me up for TS Phone had assured me I wouldn't have to pay activation fee since I am transferring my service from Rogers Phone. I ended up getting charged an activation fee. I called TSI immediately after that and the technician had told me he has put $25 credit on my account and it should appear on the next invoice (which I received yesterday and paid). It still did not have the credit on it. I will call TSI sometime this week to get that $25 credit.

Re: Issue resolved?

The 25$ credit will be applied. It typically gets added once you keep the service for 2 months.
It's always been this ways since we started offering phone.

EDIT : No charges should have been applied. It has been changed(not sure when this happened). I apologies as I wasn't aware this had occurred. I've sent you a PM so I can ensure we have this rectified for you.

Chatham, ON
Everything should be resolved as of now. Please let me know if we can assist with anything else.

chaos1105

join:2004-01-18

Rogers Home Phone

I also just got a bill from Rogers for Home Phone Service. I was advised not to cancel Rogers Home Phone by TekSavvy's agent on the phone if I wish to have the same phone number. I was also assured that TekSavvy would take care of everything and that I would not receive bills from Rogers anymore. I followed that advice and I am still getting billed by Rogers? what the heck...

This is normal. Rogers needs 30 days notice, so after you return you home phone modem the account will be cancelled and you'll still need to pay Rogers for another 30 days.

If you cancelled your Roger Home Phone prior to switching, you would have lost your number.

Chatham, ON

Update

Hello Erfan,

I see the review says there was an update, but it doesn't show anything since October 2012. I also see that there is no communication with you since Sept 2012. Was there something we can do to help?

Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Erfans,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to see you are still enjoying the service. This is great to see. Reading through the other comments on this review I see there were a few issues with your phone service; I do regret to see this but am happy TSI-Martin was able to assist and ensure everything was corrected for you while the issue was occurring.

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum. We are always happy to help.

Thank you again for the review and have a great night!!

TSI-Ashleigh

Review by Max See Profile

• Location: Saint-Felicien,QC
Good "Best pricing in the market; excellent performance and reliability so far."
Bad "Inconsistent tech support with quite long waiting times."
Overall "Awesome price and reliability. However, having experienced tech support, I hope i won't ever have issues..."

So far, my experience with Teksavvy is great, except for a very bad case of tech support (which ended well). Let's put that aside right now: so far, TekSavvy's big flaw seems to be the tech support: when the Videotron guy came to activate the cable, he had to install a new cable, and while doing so, drilled right through our Satellite TV cable. We only noticed after he was gone. Anyways, calling at TekSavvy to enquire what to do about this situation led me to many different (often contradicting) answers. It ended with a supervisor who obviously had a bad day and completely refused to listen to anything I would say, interrupting me many times; he was very condescending and insulting during the whole conversation. That was by far my worst customer service experience ever. The only reason why I rated the support 25% instead of 0% is that despite this, most people actually looked like they were honestly trying their best to help me with this special situation.

Anyways, I got lucky and the guy from the satellite TV repaired the cable for free. However, despite spending hours talking to support (and even accounting) about this, I still have no idea about what I should have done if the satellite company charged me for the repair. Oh, and the wait time before talking to someone averaged 45 mins, which is quite long.

Ok, enough with the bad. Other than that very bad experience, I haven't had a single downtime yet (in over 60 days). The many speed tests I did over this time show that I have a very consistent 20/10 internet, which is exactly what I am paying for. At only 39,95$/month (+tax) for this, with a 150GB monthly bandwidth (unlimited during the night), that's by far the best package I could get here, at over 150km away from any city with a population over 50 000. Interesting thing: my ping is better here than the one I had with another cable ISP while I lived in a 120 000 population city much closer to the main internet backbone.

In conclusion, so far, I had no major issue, so everything is perfect. However, I do admit that I am a bit scared of what will happen if someday I do have serious issues...

2014-04-10 UPDATE

About 7 months with TekSavvy now, and I must say: this has to be the most reliable internet I've had so far. Since we got it working on day 1, I spent many (too many!) hours using internet, and I didn't notice a single minute of downtime. Only once I got a drop in speed (from 20Mbps to 1,5 Mbps!). However, I think that drop was caused by the cable modem getting lazy or something, since everything went back to perfect as soon as I rebooted it.

As you may guess, I did not have to communicate with the tech support, so I can't say if things got better over there. I have to mention that since the time of my original review, my 150Gb 20/10 package's price rose up to 42,95$/month (+tax). Still a great value, as long as price increases such as this one are a rare occurrence.

P.S. could some moderator remove the comment from Toddy? I don't see why he would post it under my review...

Comments:

Sangualmancy

join:2013-07-10

Bad day an excuse?

Woah, that's rather disturbing about the manager; I'm sure one of the online managers here will want to hear more so they can look into it.

Your Review

Thanks for taking the time for posting your review.

If you could please send me a PM with your account information I like to take a look & investigate the call with the manager. We certainly don't want our customers to feel that way & sometimes even seasoned agents may need some coaching.

That said, Once again, thanks for you review,

Best Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Toddy

@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. Dont use them.

Tek Savvy is just rediculous. My internet keeps dropping out, is very slow and often does not work for days. I have spent more than 40~50 hours on the phone with them, changed modems ($100)and I am still having issues. They refuse to send a technician at any cost. When I finally had them say they'd send one, they changed their minds the next day saying the problem was fixed, but is not. If you call tech support they are constanly having servive outages across Ontario. There is not a single day where they do not have service outages. They try to blame this on Rogers infrastructure but I know people in my area who's Rogers service is fine. They are apathetic and a terrible ISP. Just awful service. I have been with them now for a couple years and it has been a non-stop technical disaster. I have not had a 2 month period where I dont have to be calling their hapless and sometimes rude tech support. I have rebooted, tested and done tech support for them now ever since signing up. Enough is enough.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Max,

Thank you for the updated review. I am happy to hear that you are still enjoying your internet with minimal issues with the service. In regards to price increases they only occur when the vendor requests these types of increases. Other than that we don’t change our prices.
Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any questions or concerns please message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are happy to help you.

PissedCanada

@175.156.249.x

Re: Updated Review

Are you using pre-written messages? Did you actually read the message just above yours that stated the horrid, pathetic state of affairs in your company?

Teksavvy sucks. The service is terrible. The connection is terrible.

Now let's see your respond with your pat message. Thank me for my review. Go ahead.
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01

Re: Updated Review

The OP updated the review he wasn't responding to the commenter from 2013.

Edit: Removed vulgar.

Review by technik0 See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Excellent speeds and reliability so far"
Bad "Nothing bad thus far"
Overall "Loving it"

·WIND Mobile
Update March 2014:

About 8 months in and nothing bad to report. Connection has been pretty great over the time I've been with Teksavvy. Prices went up a little recently so it's about $2 more a month now. Still hard to beat at $47 and way better than the equivalent at Rogers.

Had next to no outages or issues. Speeds seem to be reliable and consistently close to the 25Mbit speed that is advertised for my speed tier. I play a lot of online games and pings are very good. As I'm in Ontario I tend to play "East coast US" servers and it's usually 20-40ms range. Have friends in the UK and can often come in under 100ms to servers there if I'm playing online with them. Still very much recommended.

---

Original review:

Previously I lived in a rural area and was getting charged a fortune by Bell for their "Mobile" internet.

Recently moved into the city so was looking forward to getting a "proper" internet connection. A few guys in work recommended Teksavvy so I checked them out. Seemed to be very competitively priced.

Cable services (via Rogers) seemed to be better priced than the DSL (presumably via Bell) so I signed up for the Cable 25/2 Pro with 300GB usage for $45 after tax. Sign up was simple. Modem was delivered quickly. Emails confirming installation date and time received. On the day of install the guys from Rogers turned up early and needed about 3 minutes in my apartment to hook up a connection. Told me to plug in the modem whenever it suited me and it would work. Plugged in the modem and it took a minute or so to connect. No hassle or configuration needed. It's a Thomson DCM 476. As we have some other PCs I was able to re-use the wireless router I had from my old Bell service. Just hooked it's WAN port up to the ethernet port on the back of the modem and again no messing about. Works fine.

After suffering crappy rural internet it's nice to be able to watch a video or download something and not have to wait or worry about how much it'll cost me.

Used the online tool earlier to chat with a representative about a few questions I had. No waiting - straight into the chat. Guy was clearly knowledgeable and happy to help. Was trying to figure out where I could see my usage online but apparently the tracking is broken so no overages are being charged. Fair enough! Doubt I'll get close to the 300GB I'm allotted though.

So to summarize - order was simple. Installation was quick. Modem supplied works fine and is easy to hook up to other routers if you like. Representatives seem to be engaged and know what they're talking about. Price is great and in the 5 days since install it's worked flawlessly.

A+ for Teksavvy.

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28

Re: Loving it

Hi Technik0,

First off, congratulations for your move to city! Thanks for taking the time to write such a graious message. It always adds value to anyone's day when customers appreciate all the behind the scene work. Isn't it great when a plan comes together,

If there is anything else you need help or have questions about, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are here 24x7...

Stavros

Chatham, ON

Update

Thanks for the update on your review. Glad to see you're still enjoying it, as you should

Review by eheyl See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Speed, no cap, support, everything"
Bad "nothing that I can find"
Overall "Best value for Cable Internet either in Toronto or Kitchener"

I was with Rogers and liked the service, but when my work really took off I discovered that I was CONSTANTLY switching to higher service tiers (which is not saying much) to avoid being dinged for overage. I'm in Kitchener and at the time TekSavvy wasn't available. In April, they became so, and I signed up. I figured that I may as well go with the highest level, which was Cable Extreme Pro and no bandwidth cap. I set it up, bought the modem (the SB5101) and waited a month (As per Rogers policy, which I'm sure wasn't necessary).

The date came. I got up, plugged the modem in as well as my router. PERFECTION. I get double the speed TSI advertises, no drops, no lag and fast uploads. I haven't needed technical support and regardless of when I call I can always get prompt courteous service. Literally 24/7 which is good because as we all know, Mr. Murphy (I swear if I find him, he's dead) doesn't respect nice 9-5 business hours). I never felt pressured when asking questions, I felt like they really cared. In fact, the sales rep tried to get me to go with a lower plan, but with my work, unlimited is best.

I love the fact that I'm not tied into a contract and that there are not a bunch of weird charges. I know to the penny how much I'm paying each month and I never have to worry about a bandwidth cap which means I can just get on with my work.

In short, if you're on the fence, don't be. Go with Teksavvy, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE: It's been around three years...and despite Rogers severely going down tonight, Tek got things up and running again. Their support for any issues has been great. The folks on the phone really do help and they're easy going enough that you can share an off color joke with them and get a laugh. Won't be leaving anytime soon!

Comments:

TSI Jonathan

Hi eheyl,

Thank you for the years of support! We are always happy to receive feedback from our customers and we are looking forward to keep you on board for many more years!

Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by ryuhosuke See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Great bang for your buck for cable and that is Unlimited"
Bad "a few glitches here and there mainly not there fault"
Overall "excellent service"

Switched after the UBB thing happened with PRIMUS!!!! and 1 month earlier so i decided to cancel and switched over. Great speed even though i was left in the dark for 5 days and had to tether through my iphone.

ordered the cable extreme pro with 15 mbp/1 mbp.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Review

Thanks for the review. We certainly appreciate it.

Sorry to hear you were left in the dark but glad to hear it was only a one time thing only.

Review by krakdotz See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Never had a problem, very cost effective."
Bad "If there's a mistake with a change in your order during a busy season, be prepared for long downtime."
Overall "As far as Cogeco area goes for TPIA's TekSavvy is amazingly reliable and excellently priced."

Don't feel like writing a lot, DSLr keeps asking me to review something.

I moved from one apartment to another in 2013 during a Massive delay in TPIA communications with Cogeco. TekSavvy somehow sent the request to Cogeco as a transfer of service at the new address (meaning there would have had to be an active Cable service at the new address) rather than a new connection. Took 3 weeks for that to be rejected, and then 3 weeks for the install after it was corrected. That's the reason for the low install co-ord, otherwise love TekSavvy, was worth the small bit of tethering my smartphone for 6 weeks while waiting.

Comments:

TSI Andre

Hi krakdotz,

Thank you for posting the review. We definitely did have some issues with some of our vendors in 2013 which caused some severe delays however fortunately, those delay issues no longer exist to the extreme they did back then.

Don't be shy to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)
krakdotz

join:2013-10-01

Re: Your Review

Hey Andre,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, on a smartphone right now.

Thanks for the reply! Not looking for anything out of it, like I said in the review, just hoping dslr stops spamming me to review something. Sorry again about the low install score, I know it was extenuating circumstances for both the delay and the accident while processing, but if it was any higher it wouldn't be accurate to my most recent experience. Original install when I first became a customer was smooth by the way, a bit longer than what I expected because I didn't know what a tpia was, but the date the sales agent told me was the date the cogeco guy showed up. Unfortunate about that move, but I promise if I move again I'll update to reflect the most recent experience.

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Promised speeds as reported or faster depending on which test. Setup fees not too bad."
Bad "Cheaper Prices are offset somewhat by lower upload speed. Use a quality router with Tomato or DDWRT"
Overall "Service in Mature High Density Shaw areas is reliable. Risks seem very minimal to switch to Teksavvy"

·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine
Update Mar 2014: My first connection problem. I called in at 12pm and got connected to a tech agent pretty quick. Call got disconnected, had to call back again at 2pm and waited 20 minutes on hold, continued teching. Call got disconnected, called back at 3 pm, and waited 30 minutes. As I understand it, they don't call people back on disconnects. Neither do they call if you ask them to in the Direct forum. This is aggravating.

The tech bug chasing is pretty tiring and exhausting. I had to ping test/ traceroute which is high level tech stuff for a customer/consumer to do. Restart/reboot/powercycle the modem and my two computers a million times.

I know how to do it, but I can't imagine a normal person would know how to access command window functions. I was afraid that my modem went bad so I jumped through all hoops doing the reboots and different computers and restarts needed to make sure that stuff works. They told me to change all the ethernet wires since they can go bad. Cmon, really? Copper coated aluminium cable goes bad? What about the stuff that is installed in walls and never moves?

I sort of understand that they need to make sure everything is ok before the send a tech, but they wanted me to also change the coax cable that went into the modem into the wall to see if that failed. Cmon, really? Cable goes bad? Indoor cable coax doesn't have the longevity of the same cable that has been sitting on the outside of my house for years? Needless to say, I lied and said that I changed the cable.

The problem was then acknowledged to be outside of my house with a routing issue. All in all, it was an exhausting 4 hours to check my hardware to make sure that it's fine. It's a pain in the ass. I'm dropping my connection reliability rating. Any other customer would have had a hissyfit if the tech asked them to to a ping test and tracerout and send the results to them via email on a connection that doesn't work.

The third tech megan proved to be very nice and finished up the ticket, and the problem magically disappeared as we were teching it again. It turned out to be a problem with Routing at the network.

In future, I wish the techs would just ask if I would prefer to make a note for the sysadmins to look to see if there is failure trend and call me back if I want to help diagnose or give me the option of teching for them for four hours. It was a huge waste of my time.

It's better for TS to acknowledge that the customer has a problem, see if a trend develops, than waste the customer's time to see if there is something wrong with their router, computer , or modem.

I am so tired of this episode.

Update Jan 2014: I was having some slow internet response, so I removed QOS and everything seems to work better than ever. The internet seems to be really quick and responsive. If you are going to use QOS, you need a high quality router.

UPDATE OCT 2013: We were having router issues, so finally changed from DDWRT to Tomato. QOS is now finally working properly. As a long time user of DDWRT I was reluctant to change to Tomato, however, Tomato has more finite adjustments for Bandwidth shaping. Changed to an 'ancient' tomato compatible linksys e900 router. (Actually a downgrade from my previous router) Works in an old house with 7 users and their devices and VOIP. Tomato is the only router I have used so far that has been able to throttle torrenting properly.

With router updates and hardware adjustments and Teksavvy, I now have a network running at 7.5/512k that is more than adequate for many many users that would have needed a much more expensive service to accomodate. I now see regular burst speeds into the 14-18-22mbps range. This makes Youtube HD streaming absolutely possible. There is no buffering, and the grey bar easily outpaces the red progress bar. These are speeds that are completely unheard of when I was with telus 6. I NEVER ever saw a speed higher that 6mbps when I was with telus.

UPDATE Sept 1013: Everything is working fine. It seems like Teksavvy, like any other cable company has burst incoming speeds of up to 22mbps then settles down to 7.5mbps. Everything is working so well that I have to upgrade my network from wireless g to n to take advantage of the burst speed.

I wish that if you signed up for a 1 year contract that they would waive the installation fee.

UPDATE: June 2013. Everything is working fine. Speed test still reports DL speed as up to 15mbps, even though I only subscribe to 7.5mbs. My laptop througput monitor confirms that it's running at 15mpbs which is about the limit for my wireless g connection.

I needed to contact customer service for a seperate matter and it took 26 minutes to reach an agent to solve my problem. I expected this. This was on a Friday at 6pm pst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had telus with phone and internet for $43 including tax. Every six months, I had to 'beg' Telus to give me the credits to make phone/internet cost viable and competitive. after their recent increase to $55 and their refusal to honor their original contract with me for phone ($17/month) it was time to move.

I tested a voip land line, and with a lot of tweaking I've made it work to the point that the quality is just the same as a land line.

My telus speed was rated at 6.0mb/s and it would on occasion hit that speed on regular internet surfing, or when downloading full speed connections.

I bought a used modem locally for $30, or you can find them online on ebay delivered easily for $35 including shipping. (Update: With Docis 2.0 becoming outdated, if you only need speeds up to 30mbps, these routers can be found for as little as $10)

I ordered the 7.5mb cable service with 300gb bandwidth cap. Previously I was unrestricted, and I would often go way over 300mb, but they have unlmited bandwidth between 2am and 8am so I will just modify my programs to work within those constraints.

The lack of an online interface that monitors on/off peak usage is a little aggravating.

Customer service is a 20 min wait by phone, but they are also responsive by email.

The installation process was a little bit of a hassle because they act as go between between the local cable company and me, which calls for 2 to 3 extra 20 mintue calls when an email would have been more appropriate..

Once the tech came and installed, Everything was fine. The modem fired up and connected without problems.

Now there is the issue with speed comparison:

Telus 'sells' a 6.0mb connection, and using 'pure' download connections like my podcaster, I would hit the max speed easily. Surfing everywhere else on the net was a so so experience, never every getting max speed on regular websites, but at the same time I didn't expect as such.

I bought a 7.5mb cable connection from teksavvy. Here are side by side comparisons:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2699998876.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2700021051.png

»testmy.net/KgnH0mA.uJZ3qwr.png

»testmy.net/VcGr9n3.Jv3hyCQ.png

And Youtube reports that my speed is 2.0mb/s with telus and 7.9mb/s with teksavvy.

So I'm not sure what to beleive when it comes to what actual speeds are. Is telus undercutting me with a subpar line, or it teksavvy over delivering?

Judging by the 2 out of 3 result, it seems like telus has been gouging me for many years. Seems like they advertise a service that INCLUDES tcp overhead, but teksavvy delivers on TRUE bandwidth.

There is no phone or video on demand option, but I'm pretty sure that if you wanted something like netflix, i'm pretty sure that it would work. There is no option for live sports.

Voip landline works great.

The total extra fees to get me started on teksavvy was $79 for the installation and $30 for a modem that I got used.

With the money I saved I will pay off for this extra expense in four months.

I should have done this years ago. And with the usage of a voip phone now, moving service from house to house should the need arise is extremely simple.

I am

Comments:

TSI Keith

WELCOME!

Hello fefrie,

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always love getting feedback from our customers! Secondly, I'd like to welcome you to the family!!

Also, we are in the midst of hiring a lot of new agents so if you need us in the future we're working hard to get the wait times down to a more reasonable level asap. Also should you need us for any reason you can also reach out to us here on the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

There has been quite an interest voiced in us getting TV service in the future. There is nothing in the works at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring

Bear in mind, not only is usage free between 2 and 8 am but we also don't count upload traffic towards your cap!

Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions or concerns come up.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

Re: WELCOME!

Could you clarify 'Uploads are free'?

Is it that uploads are free 24/7 or only free during the 2-8am period?

Re: WELCOME!

Period! Uploads don't count. Downloads are not counted during those times.

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the update on your services!! Glad to see everything is still working as it should, and you’re receiving excellent speeds with your connection. This is fantastic!!! Please continue to keep us updated on your TekSavvy journey. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Ashleigh
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear you have had a service issue with your connection. Our phone agents most certainly do call back when a phone disconnects as long as another call has not connected on the line as soon as the call drops. Which does happen when it’s busy, and it makes it difficult to be able to call back. I have located and reviewed your account to see about the call dropping during troubleshooting and there are notes from the tech agent you spoke to indicating they attempted to call you back when the call dropped however the call was blocked and they were unable to reach you. There are notes indicating for the next agent what troubleshooting had been completed already and what needed to be completed if you contacted us back. Again we certainly do apologize if there was no call back.

If you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct a contact number where you can be reached at I can update your account to ensure we can call you back in the future if you are disconnected again.

We also require troubleshooting for all issues prior to being able to tell you what issue you are having or if you are part of an area issue. We are unable to see your connection from our side to tell you what your issue is or to tell you that your part of an area issue. Troubleshooting must be completed on all issues or we are unable to go forward with diagnosing your issue or assisting you with your connection. We understand it is frustrating to troubleshoot however we must complete it or we are blind to your connection. Fully troubleshooting all issues allows us to understand what issue you are having and what direction we need to go in to fix your service. I hope this helps you understand a little better why we troubleshoot all issues, I can assure you we are not trying to be difficult and we do want to help and diagnose your issue.

Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Thanks again
Tsi-ashleigh
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
·FreePhoneLine

Re: Updated Review

It was a one time thing, and the thing that I wish happened was...

I wasn't home when it happened.

It probably would have fixed itself anyways.

If I didn't have a string of router failures, I wouldn't have been so paranoid that my modem went bad.

If I knew 100% that my modem was still fine and working, I would have just gone out for a nice walk.