TekSavvy Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ltpenguin See Profile

• Location: York,ON
Good "They have great staff on the Direct forum! No more waiting on hold :P"
Bad "Rogers needs to install can be a pain :I Update: they no longer require a technician in most cases"
Overall "It is a great value."

Would recommend especially if you are reading this on DSLReports. They have a great group in the Direct support forum. I never need to call in and be on hold for 30mins The worst part is having setup done by Rogers which is a pain to schedule but once setup it is great Total monthly cost included taxes

member for 1.3 years, 164 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Support2
TSI Support
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

Kind words, the BEST gift on a Monday!

Thank you very much for the kind words! We're always glad to help in any capacity that we can! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can let us know in the Direct forum!

Thanks again for the kudos, and hope you enjoy your Monday!

TSI Joe

Review by tross See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Reliable, cheaper and less hassle than other ISPs would be"
Bad "Originally received modem with wrong firmware, but this was quickly corrected"
Overall "Works well, very few problems and cheaper than anyone else in the area"

I'm subscribed to the 6M/256k cable package in Ottawa (Baseline and Navaho / Richmond Road POI), and have had cable internet service with TekSavvy since June 2012. I signed up over the phone fairly quickly (at the time it was 3M/256k), purchased a modem from TekSavvy which was sent by Canada Post. Eight days after my initial call, the Rogers installation technician dropped by at the designated time and the service was activated.

Initially, I had been sent a DCM476 modem with the wrong firmware (could get online, but was disconnected regularly). After working with TekSavvy in the direct forum here on DSLReports to find the problem, they sent me a different modem (DCM475) and I sent back the DCM476 using the XpressPost bag/shipping labels supplied by the company. Everything worked fine after plugging in the new modem.

Everything since that has been smooth sailing. Have only ever experienced one service issue, which was affecting all customers in the area (information was provided on the TekSavvy forum on this website), which was fixed up by the next day. I've also received a free upgrade to 6M/256k and now have unlimited usage between 2am-8am and am allotted 75GB per month outside of these hours. 6M is enough for me, but it'd be nice to have a little higher upload speed, though my understanding is that TekSavvy is only allowed to offer the same speeds as Rogers offers its own customers.

At $24.95/month + tax, the service is cheaper and is more generous than anything that I could get from Bell or Rogers and the low price quickly makes up for the installation fee and cable modem purchase. The quick and straightforward responses I can get from company representatives by using the private, direct forum on this website is also great. I've never tried tech support over the phone (I prefer to contact them online), so I can't comment on the phone representatives or hold times.

So, in summary, if I had to do it all over, I wouldn't hesitate in picking TekSavvy again. I have now been with TekSavvy for about two years (currently July 2014), and I have not had to have any interaction with them since requesting the upgrade from 3M to 6M more than a year ago. I don't call, they don't call... just the way it should be.

member for 4.1 years, 648 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Tross,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I’m happy to read your enjoying the service and haven’t had many/any issues with the connection. This is fantastic to see!!!! Thank you for the kind words for us in the Direct Forum that have assisted you, we love to hear your enjoying the online experience we at TekSavvy provide through DSLr. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know we are always happy to help; and please keep us posted on your TekSavvy connection.

Ashleigh

Review by Noxin See Profile

Good "In montreal it was fantastic - 3 day installation!"
Bad "17 days and counting, NO SERVICE - POSTPONED DATES"
Overall "AVOID - AVOID - AVOID"

I ordered and payed 172$ on the 3rd of July with their initial estimate being the 8th.

I received a call on the 5th saying that the installation will occur on the 17th... Which was terrible considering various local ISPs have offers for seamless transitions, but manageable.

The 17th arrives with not a WORD until gone 6 pm at night saying they couldn't find the location, which leads me to believe either they don't have google maps nor gps, since I provided address, city and postal code. This was then postponed yet again to the 23rd. At this point I am pissed off, and rightfully so since I have now payed upfront for a service that I will not see during the month I payed for it AND I require it to work from home (costing me $$$). They tell me a tech will be dispatched on the 20th in the usual 4 hour window ISPs agree they can subject people to, so I wake up early, take the 4 hours off for... NOTHING, a complete no show.

I leave at the end of the window since I CAN'T work from home, having written all IP address, SSID, mac addresses relevant to the tech should the tech actually show up, and once I arrive at work, I find a missed call (time stamped 15 minutes after the window) and rush back. The tech hasn't "flagged" the line (the administrative reason that I was provided by TS support on my first of *3 calls* why they couldn't provision remotely - which from former telus tech I know is completely without technical reason), preformed ANY work, nor left ANY message.

To ANYONE who sees this, go with ANY of the competitors. Teksavvy is NOT worth it in the west. Light-speed was recommended by friends, if this isn't resolved in the next day or so, I am demanding a full refund and going with them.

Any and all positive view I had of this company is gone, its pricing isn't even that competitive anymore.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Good morning Noxin,

I am very sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. If you could please post in the direct forum with your account information. I would like to take a look and see if we can assist.

»TekSavvy Direct

TSI Jonathan
Online Experience Manager
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Review by Jeebus99 See Profile

• Location: Dawson Creek,BC
Bad "extremely poor service"
Overall "if you are unable to provide the service paid for, maybe you should stop selling it"

Extremely unhappy with the so-called "service".

Ordered cable on June 27th to upgrade from my current TSI DSL. Waited for a week supposedly for the vendor to reply (even though they are supposedly required to reply within 48 hours if I am not mistaken).

The order was refused by the cable company because they did not know if the connection was for the main floor or the basement, even though the main floor has not been connected in probably 15 or 20 years and is not even connected to the cable box (disconnected by Shaw themselves many many years ago).

Called and confirmed with TSI that the connection should be the basement. TSI gave me an install date with the same ridiculous 4 hour window that everyone hates so much. On the day of the install nobody bothered to show up. This is confirmed by security video on the property, and by the substandard old tan cable still connected to the cable box that should have been replaced if a tech had actually showed up.

After the no-show I called TSI again and they put in "troubleshooting" ticket since the cable was not working. Apparently, Shaw has said the service was performed even though it was not. The ticket that was put in by TSI has again been sitting with no response for almost a week.

The bill was paid on the day the order was placed, yet 17 days later I still have no service, as well as a new modem that TSI sold me that is totally useless with no cable service.

The tech support column in the review also received the lowest marks. The TSI staff was very friendly, but there have just been repeated promises to have things "looked into", since nothing has actually been accomplished I can't give any marks for the support.

Comments:

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

2 edits

Your Review

Hello,
My name is John. I am one of two Online Services Account Managers here at TekSavvy. I would be happy to look into this issue for you to see if there is anything I can do to resolve it. I am reviewing your account and will be back with you shortly.

John
Online Services Account Manager

TSI John
join:2014-03-14

Re: Your Review

Hello,
I reviewed your account and spoke with the leader of the team responsible for handling your issue. The Team leader is having one of his team call you shortly.

John
Online Services Account Manager

Vancouver, BC

There is teksavvy in Dawson Creek?

Consider yourself lucky that you have a third alternative.

Review by mrbubbles See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Amazing pricing, unlimited 2am-8am, stable connection"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Buy it. Now."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Moved to Montreal and ordered a 20/10 cable connection. Modem (DCM475) was shipped quickly and installation was painless. They confirmed the date and service was online within 2h of the installation technician visiting.

All TekSavvy plans are unlimited use from 2am-8am and unmetered upload all the time. That means my 300GB cap is only for downloads not performed between 2am-8am.

Stable connection and the speeds are consistently as advertised, even during peak hours. Highly recommended!

member for 1 year, 5 visits, last login: 9 days ago

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hey There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this and to hear that everything has been a smooth process for you We appreciate the kind words and want to continue your positive experience so please feel free to reach out to us anytime if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Have a great day!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Everything: value, reliability, speed, bandwidth you name it"
Bad "You'll have to buy and configure a wireless router (but you can do it!)"
Overall "Best internet in Canada"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
I've had bhell internet ('06-'09), It was a nightmare all the way to it's bitter end. I wish I'd known better. In came Robbers ('09-'12) which offered much better service, but at a cost. Traffic shaping was consistently inconsistent; some weeks yes, but mostly not. In the end economics rule and I switched to Teksavvy cable. The transition was no problem and right away I saw my upload speeds double. I've seen DL speeds just over 4 mb/s overall which was beforehand unthinkable to get half that. (have Teksavvy Extreme Cable 28/Unlimited and the Rogers' was Hi-Speed Express) I have 8 months of service so far and all my bills are predictable and the service has so far never been offline. Not one minute. I bought the modem (Thompson for $100 - same price at Canada Computers) and needed a router (Asus RT N-10+ open box $12) and can now have all the streaming and downloading and gaming that I want, which is a lot. My wife and I cut the cable 4 years ago and we've never looked back- Teksavvy cable allows us to do this with minimal hassles and we save a lot of money.

UPDATE:

Still 100% solid, Thanks TSI!

Update July 2014: Simply put, I never have a problem with Teksavvy cable Internet. I've noticed recently that the wait times for CS and TS have decreased significantly. Well done.

We would never consider changing ISP's. We feel sorry for all of you using Rogers, Bell and acanac.

UPDATE July 2014 (again)

Switched to a different package (cable 30) and it took minimal time to take effect. I was happy with the Teksavvy representative on the phone, as he knew exactly what to do and how to do it. He even reminded me that I would have to reset the modem for the change in speeds to take effect. As always, Teksavvy allows us to take the internet for granted which is appreciated! Without Teksavvy, subscribing to the internet would mean a whole world of pain and wasted money.

Thanks again

Comments:

TSILiz
join:2012-08-20

Response.

Hi There!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this, always awesome to see when the service is working and the customer is happy! We appreciate your support and if you ever have any questions or concerns about your account feel free to reach us anytime.

Cheers!
Liz
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

TSI JoeC
join:2013-07-29

Greatest update!

Thank you very much for your wonderful update on this review! As if it couldn't get any better already!!!

We certainly appreciate your kind words, and love that everything is rock solid for you!

As always, if you need us for anything, please let us know! We'd be happy to help out!

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cheers!

TSI Joe-C

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Promised speeds as reported or faster depending on which test. Setup fees not too bad."
Bad "Cheaper Prices are offset somewhat by lower upload speed. Recent High packet loss."
Overall "Service in Mature High Density Shaw areas is somewhat reliable. Recently, not so much."

·FreePhoneLine
Update July 07, 2014 Packet loss has come back. This time opened up a ticket. Used the direct forum and phone calls for help. The process has gone smoother since I do alot of the work before the call testing. Opened up a ticket. Packet loss is 32%. Not good.

Tech support gets upgraded two points (4/5) for making the process faster. Connection reliability gets dropped one point to2/5)

Update June 19, 2014: Didn't do anything, and the packet loss has disappeared. The internet seems like it is at it's speedy normal. I am glad that I didn't waste too much time doing all the tests. I wish TS would tag me as a high functioning computer user so that when I call, they know that I've done everything necessary on my end, probably having powercycled everything 3-4 times already, and asking me to do futile things such as switching ethernet and coax cables is not necessary.

When I have issues with 4 computers in the house at the same time, and once I've direct connected to the modem bypassing the router, the issues are possibly with the modem, but more likely upstream.

Update June 15 2014: Slow internet for 2 days. Tested high packet loss. Emailed support and sent another long list of 'necessary' tests. This is getting aggravating. Woke up this morning and speed seems to be better, but packet loss is still there. Is 15-20% bad? Pings to gateway have no packet loss, but pings to google.com have as high as 28%

I'm dropping Value, services, connection reliability points. I talked to another person in my area that had unending packet loss issues and his solution after months was to leave. Is this the beginning of the end for me?

Update May 07: 930am. Disconnected for about another 5 minutes.

Update: April 21: 11:40pm PST Second connection problem. Granted, it just happened for about 5 minutes but it still happened. Didn't reset the router, modem, and computer. It just came back. If you have a connection problem, just walk away for an hour or two, maybe four. It's not really worth calling in and losing hours of your time. Since this was a short term connection error, and things have been working really well with my upgraded router (480mhz cpu, 128mb ram) I am upgrading my connection reliability rating.

Update Mar 2014: My first connection problem. I called in at 12pm and got connected to a tech agent pretty quick. Call got disconnected, had to call back again at 2pm and waited 20 minutes on hold, continued teching. Call got disconnected, called back at 3 pm, and waited 30 minutes. As I understand it, they don't call people back on disconnects. Neither do they call if you ask them to in the Direct forum. This is aggravating.

The tech bug chasing is pretty tiring and exhausting. I had to ping test/ traceroute which is high level tech stuff for a customer/consumer to do. Restart/reboot/powercycle the modem and my two computers a million times.

I know how to do it, but I can't imagine a normal person would know how to access command window functions. I was afraid that my modem went bad so I jumped through all hoops doing the reboots and different computers and restarts needed to make sure that stuff works. They told me to change all the ethernet wires since they can go bad. Cmon, really? Copper coated aluminium cable goes bad? What about the stuff that is installed in walls and never moves?

I sort of understand that they need to make sure everything is ok before the send a tech, but they wanted me to also change the coax cable that went into the modem into the wall to see if that failed. Cmon, really? Cable goes bad? Indoor cable coax doesn't have the longevity of the same cable that has been sitting on the outside of my house for years? Needless to say, I lied and said that I changed the cable.

The problem was then acknowledged to be outside of my house with a routing issue. All in all, it was an exhausting 4 hours to check my hardware to make sure that it's fine. It's a pain in the ass. I'm dropping my connection reliability rating. Any other customer would have had a hissyfit if the tech asked them to to a ping test and tracerout and send the results to them via email on a connection that doesn't work.

The third tech megan proved to be very nice and finished up the ticket, and the problem magically disappeared as we were teching it again. It turned out to be a problem with Routing at the network.

In future, I wish the techs would just ask if I would prefer to make a note for the sysadmins to look to see if there is failure trend and call me back if I want to help diagnose or give me the option of teching for them for four hours. It was a huge waste of my time.

It's better for TS to acknowledge that the customer has a problem, see if a trend develops, than waste the customer's time to see if there is something wrong with their router, computer , or modem.

I am so tired of this episode.

Update Jan 2014: I was having some slow internet response, so I removed QOS and everything seems to work better than ever. The internet seems to be really quick and responsive. If you are going to use QOS, you need a high quality router.

UPDATE OCT 2013: We were having router issues, so finally changed from DDWRT to Tomato. QOS is now finally working properly. As a long time user of DDWRT I was reluctant to change to Tomato, however, Tomato has more finite adjustments for Bandwidth shaping. Changed to an 'ancient' tomato compatible linksys e900 router. (Actually a downgrade from my previous router) Works in an old house with 7 users and their devices and VOIP. Tomato is the only router I have used so far that has been able to throttle torrenting properly.

With router updates and hardware adjustments and Teksavvy, I now have a network running at 7.5/512k that is more than adequate for many many users that would have needed a much more expensive service to accomodate. I now see regular burst speeds into the 14-18-22mbps range. This makes Youtube HD streaming absolutely possible. There is no buffering, and the grey bar easily outpaces the red progress bar. These are speeds that are completely unheard of when I was with telus 6. I NEVER ever saw a speed higher that 6mbps when I was with telus.

UPDATE Sept 1013: Everything is working fine. It seems like Teksavvy, like any other cable company has burst incoming speeds of up to 22mbps then settles down to 7.5mbps. Everything is working so well that I have to upgrade my network from wireless g to n to take advantage of the burst speed.

I wish that if you signed up for a 1 year contract that they would waive the installation fee.

UPDATE: June 2013. Everything is working fine. Speed test still reports DL speed as up to 15mbps, even though I only subscribe to 7.5mbs. My laptop througput monitor confirms that it's running at 15mpbs which is about the limit for my wireless g connection.

I needed to contact customer service for a seperate matter and it took 26 minutes to reach an agent to solve my problem. I expected this. This was on a Friday at 6pm pst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had telus with phone and internet for $43 including tax. Every six months, I had to 'beg' Telus to give me the credits to make phone/internet cost viable and competitive. after their recent increase to $55 and their refusal to honor their original contract with me for phone ($17/month) it was time to move.

I tested a voip land line, and with a lot of tweaking I've made it work to the point that the quality is just the same as a land line.

My telus speed was rated at 6.0mb/s and it would on occasion hit that speed on regular internet surfing, or when downloading full speed connections.

I bought a used modem locally for $30, or you can find them online on ebay delivered easily for $35 including shipping. (Update: With Docis 2.0 becoming outdated, if you only need speeds up to 30mbps, these routers can be found for as little as $10)

I ordered the 7.5mb cable service with 300gb bandwidth cap. Previously I was unrestricted, and I would often go way over 300mb, but they have unlmited bandwidth between 2am and 8am so I will just modify my programs to work within those constraints.

The lack of an online interface that monitors on/off peak usage is a little aggravating.

Customer service is a 20 min wait by phone, but they are also responsive by email.

The installation process was a little bit of a hassle because they act as go between between the local cable company and me, which calls for 2 to 3 extra 20 mintue calls when an email would have been more appropriate..

Once the tech came and installed, Everything was fine. The modem fired up and connected without problems.

Now there is the issue with speed comparison:

Telus 'sells' a 6.0mb connection, and using 'pure' download connections like my podcaster, I would hit the max speed easily. Surfing everywhere else on the net was a so so experience, never every getting max speed on regular websites, but at the same time I didn't expect as such.

I bought a 7.5mb cable connection from teksavvy. Here are side by side comparisons:

»www.speedtest.net/result/2699998876.png

»www.speedtest.net/result/2700021051.png

»testmy.net/KgnH0mA.uJZ3qwr.png

»testmy.net/VcGr9n3.Jv3hyCQ.png

And Youtube reports that my speed is 2.0mb/s with telus and 7.9mb/s with teksavvy.

So I'm not sure what to beleive when it comes to what actual speeds are. Is telus undercutting me with a subpar line, or it teksavvy over delivering?

Judging by the 2 out of 3 result, it seems like telus has been gouging me for many years. Seems like they advertise a service that INCLUDES tcp overhead, but teksavvy delivers on TRUE bandwidth.

There is no phone or video on demand option, but I'm pretty sure that if you wanted something like netflix, i'm pretty sure that it would work. There is no option for live sports.

Voip landline works great.

The total extra fees to get me started on teksavvy was $79 for the installation and $30 for a modem that I got used.

With the money I saved I will pay off for this extra expense in four months.

I should have done this years ago. And with the usage of a voip phone now, moving service from house to house should the need arise is extremely simple.

I am

member for 1.9 years, 169 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Keith
join:2012-07-09

WELCOME!

Hello fefrie,

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always love getting feedback from our customers! Secondly, I'd like to welcome you to the family!!

Also, we are in the midst of hiring a lot of new agents so if you need us in the future we're working hard to get the wait times down to a more reasonable level asap. Also should you need us for any reason you can also reach out to us here on the »TekSavvy Direct forum.

There has been quite an interest voiced in us getting TV service in the future. There is nothing in the works at the moment, but who knows what the future may bring

Bear in mind, not only is usage free between 2 and 8 am but we also don't count upload traffic towards your cap!

Thanks again for your wonderful feedback and please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions or concerns come up.

Keith
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

Re: WELCOME!

Could you clarify 'Uploads are free'?

Is it that uploads are free 24/7 or only free during the 2-8am period?

Re: WELCOME!

Period! Uploads don't count. Downloads are not counted during those times.

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the update on your services!! Glad to see everything is still working as it should, and you’re receiving excellent speeds with your connection. This is fantastic!!! Please continue to keep us updated on your TekSavvy journey. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct. We are always happy to help!

Ashleigh

Chatham, ON

Updated Review

Hello Fefrie,

Thank you for the updated review. I regret to hear you have had a service issue with your connection. Our phone agents most certainly do call back when a phone disconnects as long as another call has not connected on the line as soon as the call drops. Which does happen when it’s busy, and it makes it difficult to be able to call back. I have located and reviewed your account to see about the call dropping during troubleshooting and there are notes from the tech agent you spoke to indicating they attempted to call you back when the call dropped however the call was blocked and they were unable to reach you. There are notes indicating for the next agent what troubleshooting had been completed already and what needed to be completed if you contacted us back. Again we certainly do apologize if there was no call back.

If you can post in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct a contact number where you can be reached at I can update your account to ensure we can call you back in the future if you are disconnected again.

We also require troubleshooting for all issues prior to being able to tell you what issue you are having or if you are part of an area issue. We are unable to see your connection from our side to tell you what your issue is or to tell you that your part of an area issue. Troubleshooting must be completed on all issues or we are unable to go forward with diagnosing your issue or assisting you with your connection. We understand it is frustrating to troubleshoot however we must complete it or we are blind to your connection. Fully troubleshooting all issues allows us to understand what issue you are having and what direction we need to go in to fix your service. I hope this helps you understand a little better why we troubleshoot all issues, I can assure you we are not trying to be difficult and we do want to help and diagnose your issue.

Thank you again for your updated review. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to message us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

Tsi-ashleigh

·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Updated Review

It was a one time thing, and the thing that I wish happened was...

I wasn't home when it happened.

It probably would have fixed itself anyways.

If I didn't have a string of router failures, I wouldn't have been so paranoid that my modem went bad.

If I knew 100% that my modem was still fine and working, I would have just gone out for a nice walk.

TSI Jon
join:2011-08-24
canada

Re: Updated Review

Thank you for the update fefrie.

TSI Kris
join:2013-11-18

Review update

Hey there Fefrie,

Thanks for your updated review! Glad you're still enjoying the service! Please do let us know if you run into any further disconnections as we want to make sure to fix any potential issue.

Thanks,

TSI Kris

Chatham, ON

Update

Hi fefrie,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is not a 5 second job so naturally when we email you steps on what we need, it will be a bit long and that could be intimidating.

My recommendation would be to call in to have our support go through the steps with you.

Can you please create a post in the direct with your contact number and best contact time so we can have support reach out to you?

Thanks,

Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Re: Update

I created a ticket already.

I do have a question though. If I do a ping test and get 100% fine to your gateway, but get a 28% packet loss to google.com, is it really necessary that I do everything else on your exhaustive list?
Expand your moderator at work

Re: Update

There are only a few things we ask that are not part of our vendor's requirements that we ask to help us narrow things down however the majority is something we must as without, a ticket cannot be opened or will get rejected.

Chatham, ON

updated review

Hello Fefrie

Thank you for the updated review. I am so happy to see the packet loss has resolved itself for you. We most certainly do know that you’re an experienced user and any troubleshooting requested is needed by our vendor. I know you know we are not trying to be difficult when we ask you to check the simple things, we are bound by our vendor’s requirements for service affecting issues.

Thank you again for your updated review. Please let us know in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help you.

·TekSavvy Cable

Re: updated review

I'm probably going to have to go through a full test.

I'm at the library now, and the internet just works faster here. I thought that it was my legacy computer, but that proves to not be the case.

It could be my d2.0 router, but tech has said that the likelihood is low.

Packet loss is low (2-4%), but pings can be high in the 200-300ms.

I was willing to accept high pings as an anomoly, but at the library, the experience is noticeably faster, maybe it's the faster speed here too, but high pings will make fast seem slow too no?

Can I still upgrade up to 10 or 25mbps with my 2.0 modem?

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Cheaper than the big 2 (Rogers & Bell)"
Bad "They use the big 2 (Rogers & Bell) network, so we are at their mercy "
Overall "Takes too long for tech support (can be one week without internet). They ask too many details when the problem is obvious."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
In my street Rogers cabling is very bad. Cables are supposed to be underground, but they are all old and not reliable. A lot of people have temporary cables hanging in the street (like me). We pay for a service but nothing get repaired properly. This is not the fault of teksavvy, this is Rogers (and Bell too) being ass holes and sitting on their money and not repairing their infrastructure properly. Internet reliability is worst than 15 years ago. We feel like the third world!

Mississauga, ON

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Herglod,

Thank you for the review. I have reviewed your direct thread we are assisting you with and this review and the issues are very different. You have not mentioned line issues outside the home in your direct thread so we would not be aware of your dissatisfaction mentioned in this review. If there are lines outside that need to be repaired please send us some photos of them in your direct post so we can look into having them repaired for you.

Thank you again for the review, we look forward to assisting you with this issue.

Review by Pastuch See Profile

• Location: Kanata,ON
Good "Customer service"
Bad "Rogers controls pretty much everything"
Overall "Genuinely impressed with the customer service"

Update 2: Service was activated this morning. The Thompson DCM476 is here. Everything is working. Thanks.

UPDATE:

I'm still not thrilled that I'll be paying $14 more a month than I had originally signed up for but Teksavvy has done everything in their power to mitigate the cost to me. They've promised to credit my install fee and provide a cable modem for free. They did this after informing me that my modem isn't compatible with their network even though their website says it is. I recognise that's a significant capital investment in bringing me on as a customer. I was really impressed with all of the sales/customer service people that have followed up with me over the last few days. The main reason I signed up was I was impressed with Teksavvys presence on this site.

The biggest problem for Teksavvy will always be Rogers, they do everything in their power to screw up every cable install. It took Rogers 8 days to process my disconnection from their service (Acanac) and now I've had no internet service for 2 days with no install date yet. Teksavvy is sending me a rocket stick to borrow but I won't get that until Wednesday June 25th. Hopefully my internet is working by then.

Suggestion for teksavvy: My modem was listed on your website as compatible. Please update your website to reflect changes in plan pricing (ahead of time) and modem Compatibility.

Original Review:

After years of poor service with Acanac/3web/Distributel I threw in the towel and canceled my cable service with them.

On June 12th I called Teksavvy and spoke with a nice sales agent that told me if I ordered today I could take advantage of their existing prices. She advised that Teksavvy would be increasing their rate plans on June 15th. I thanked her for her advice and placed my order online. I ordered Teksavvy Cable Internet 25 MB Pro on June 12th. The bill they sent me is for $120.85 after taxes, that includes an install charge. They could not activate my cable internet service immediately because Rogers takes 4 to 8 days to process disconnection requests from third party providers (Acanac in this case). I'm waiting for Rogers to process the disconnection but I got an email from Teksavvy sales on June 17th, telling me that the package I signed up for is no longer available! They want to charge me the rates that came into effect on June 15th.

Comments:

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Specified plan no longer available

Hello,

Terribly sorry to hear of your experience.

Would it be at all possible for you to either reach out to me by PM TSI Martin See Profile or via our »TekSavvy Direct forum. We would like to see if we can find a solution about this.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

TSI Martin
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

Thanks for taking my call earlier today. As explained, we'll do our best to get your service up & running ASAP. Feel free to reach out to me personally if you have any questions or issues regarding your order.

Martin
TSI Martin (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyBuzz ; @TekSavvyNetwork ; @TekSavvyCSR

Roldy

@192.171.50.x

10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

Im actually a long time teksavvy dsl subscriber and after about a deacade my new cable order was denied too! But let me begin with this:

Ive had a great time with them, usually a very honest/knowledgeable ppl on the front line...dont judge them too harshly (as long as you and I get solutions to pur issues in the long run)

Fact is I get why misinformation was rampant, its not like they discontinue plans often! (playing devils advocate, teksavvy itself should know how from past experience how rogers handles hard cutoff dates, and give themselves a 5 day buffer to avoid these kind of issues)

But I didnt mean to hyjack your thread Pastuch , but I did want to make you aware that your not the only 1, and not to give up on teksavvy so easily. I think it helps both of us to know about each other. It tells me they didnt plan this very wel...which is frankly surprising!

I also didnt think it appropriate to make a new thread while I am still negotiating. Im fairly confident that in the long run theyll do the right thing, and make us both happy

So I put my story below for those who want more than the broad strokes
================================================================================== ================================================================================

I was switching from dsl to cable. I had also been warned as much as 2 weeks earlier that the plans were changing. I expected i would switch anyway, as I was switching my landline to voip with teksavvy too, and as my dsl modem is on the fritz, and dry loop fees, etc. the now obsolete 25mbit cable plan became my best option.

Researching to come to that conclusion, comparing rates, saving vm's before porting my phone took a while; long enough to get me a day or 2 prior to the deadline. But every rep I asked along the process, including the 1 that took my order was under the impression that as long as the order is IN before the 15th, its reserved, Im in.

They sent my billing instruction the afternoon of the 15th, paid on the 17th, got my modem friday, and was told it was declined when I called in to confirm my service call date! :/

First, I was told it was cause it got thru the system and to rogers too late, then because I PAID after the 15th, and to paraphrase, I was pretty much told sorry we can no longer offer the plan you ordered, and I would have to just order an inferior/&/or more expensive plan off the (new) shelf. This was my biggest surprise! The phrase 'same or equal value' came to mind. It was their fault after all so this only seemed natural to me... but i had to really push to get them to even entertain the idea of a compromise.

but i do want to stress: if theres ANY company deserves my patience, even if I have to kind of push them to do the right thing, its Teksavvy

At this point I am waiting to hear back today. Ive made several suggestions that satisfy me and make things right. Not the least of which is push rogers to honour the order like I was pushing them to do. Or give me @ least the speed I paid for, at no more than the price I signed up for.

Wish me luck, and good luck to you (and any other ppl with similar issues!!) plz update this thread when yours gets resolved
Pastuch

join:2004-02-29
Kanata, ON

Re: 10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

"Pushing rogers to honour the order" isn't something Teksavvy is capable of doing. Hopefully they compensate you in some other way.

Roldy

@199.119.233.x

Re: 10yr teksavvy-er w/similar problem this week, kinda glad 2c Im not alone!

I know, @ this point it feels like a valid thing to say.

Im just pointing out that they can justifiably blame rogers, but I have no point of contact with rogers (other than teksavvy themselves). The onus is on teksavvy to insulate themselves (and thus their customers) from rogers...especially since they dont even communicate well.

But to be told 'its rogers fault' without any recourse isnt appropriate either; I have no business with rogers. theyre just being honest, but it left us nowhere. Im just surprised they didnt expect hyjinx outa rogers.

But I told you that youll be happy in the long run! Am I reading your post right?? free modem (+120$) & free install (+$50)?!? WOWWEEE!! Well done Pastuch!

They hadnt proposed anything to me at first, so I suggested getting the 30mBit/150 cap (usually $45/m) for the $42 I was expecting for 25mBit/300gb cap (literally 3 bux off. I get slightly higher speed, but half the gb/month...fine compromise in my mind).

over several conversations it goes from: "im sorry but we do not offer discounts like this" - to: 3$ off for 2months - then: 6months. Now $30 over 6mo if i go back to dsl (25mBit tho...my suggestion to find more wiggle room). But still reverts to full price, and nowhere near the appeasement you got! **applause**

I dont think im asking for allot...again "same or equal value" is my focus. but if they refunded my modem/activation, Id agree too. thats effectively 3-5months free or 56+months of my 3bux off!

anyway, wish me luck, i think I just have to remind the right rep about the companies roots
enjoy teksavvy! trust me, this is an extraordinary problem. these things dont happen, we just got unlucky

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Works great, professional staff to talk to."
Overall "Extremely pleased! Great service!"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Ordered this service beginning of Feb 2013 activated start of March. I disconnected my Rogers modem at 8 am plugged in new modem was up and running in minutes. Originally ordered 18 / 1 package with a DCM 476 modem supplied by Teksavvy.

Switched to new 35 / 3 package in June when APTIA was completed in Cambridge. Took approximately 2 weeks to get new package.

Changed packages prior to tiers changing on June 7, 2014, speed changed happened on June 11.
Tested speed it is exactly as stated 45 / 4 works great.

member for 1.4 years, 251 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TSI Ashleigh

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you have been using the service for a few months now without issue. This is wonderful to see. I apologize for the delay in changing your speeds. Generally this is completed within 48 hours however it looks like you made the change when we were having vendor delays. I apologize for that delay.

Thank you again for this wonderful review and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us in the Direct Forum »TekSavvy Direct.

TSI ShawnS
join:2012-11-22

re:review

Hello Maxx2006,

Thank you for the update!

Glad to hear that you have the 45/4 package!

Please note that the 45/4 package is no longer available now. You are now on a grandfathered package. Enjoy your service!

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions!
Shawn S
TSI ShawnS (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee (»»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork