Winchester Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by harleigh See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Frederick,VA
Good "They installed it quickly enough"
Bad "I may as well just say it does not work"
Overall "DO NOT GET THIS! Every week there is a new excuse for the reason the internet does not work"

I've had this service since spring on 2010, and back then it worked very well. It wasn't the fastest but being out in the middle of nowhere it gave us the option for high speed internet that allowed us to play our online games when there was only dial-up.

Now I'm considering going back to dial-up, this service is that bad. It's constantly going down and even when it claims that it's up the speed is so poor that I can't even load webpages. Google pages, wordpress pages, nothing. Images break, things just time out and stop loading.

Forget ever watching netflix, hulu or even youtube where videos are about 2 minutes long. It's not possible. And to play any games online, you can definitely forget that. Even if you weren't getting disconnected every 10 minutes or so the speed is far too poor.

When you call them about it, which I've talked to them about it for some time, every single week I've been given a different excuse. "Trees are in the way" We cut those down, "We're upgrading" I haven't seen any improvement since that was said, "You're maxing your soft cap" It's been 4 hours into the day. There's no WAY facebook maxed any kind of cap that quickly, especially when half of that time we spent waiting for service to come back up, and I wasn't aware we were capped nor could we find any indication of such in their terms of service.

We also had out modem go out and had to take it in for replacement. I was surprised to see they were working out of someone's garage, pretty much. I was not impressed.

From the reports of others I've seen around the internet (which I am on at a public place because my home internet does not work) there are many others having these same issues.

Do not sign up with them.

Comments:

Review by WinchesterVA See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Frederick,VA
Good "Quickly Installed the equipment, and were courteous."
Bad "The service does not work most of the time. Speed test indicate it is slower than 92% of the nation when it is on."
Overall "AVOID at ALL cost. I am doing this on my verizon hotspot because the service is out AGAIN!"

I tried to order a business package thinking it would be faster and reliable, but they would not let me order it. The install was quick, and service was good for a couple of months, but started getting worse and worse. When you question their service they get arrogant and deny you are having problems. I have email support on three occasions and have NEVER gotten an answer.

Comments:

Review by Banker2005 See Profile

• Location: Winchester,Winchester City,VA
Good "They come out to install equipment right away"
Bad "They are OVER SUBSCRIBED and cannot deliver bandwidth as promised"
Overall "STAY AWAY, you will be buying service that you cannot use"

UPDATE***** I moved on from Winchester Wireless since this review was originaly posted and now have service with Wave2Net. Wave2Net was able to re-use my equipment and they price matched my old service -- for $39.99 a month (no contract) I now really do get 3 megs down and 1 meg up. Service and quality has been stable and I am VERY HAPPY NOW! There are no restrictions, I can watch NetFlix, and no matter the time of day SpeedTest reports my bandwidth at 3 down and 1 up.

OPTIONs; There are many options, do your research and be careful not to believe the "smear campaigns" that you will find when you look for competition local to Winchester Wireless. Hind sight being 20/20 I did not see Winchester Wireless being smeared, so I now wonder who is really behind the smearing.

SERVICE; The package I bought was $39.99 a month for 3.2mg up and 1mg down. But when I can get to the internet it more like 700k down and 300k up....you can forget about the internet between 4pm and 10pm daily -- you will be lucky to get online to read your email without time outs. No such thing as watching NetFlix, and you can forget about watching the shortest of YouTube videos. Video will NOT load without continuous time outs and reloading. Gaming is a no go.

ORDER & INSTALLATION; To order it was a phone call, they will take you credit card information and sell you the antenna outright with an installation for about $550.00 bucks. You will not see a box, they resell old subscriber SM radios and make you believe it is new, there will be no original manufacture packaging seen during the installation.

EQUIPMENT; Motorola SM9000 – they will password protect the antenna and NOT give you access to anything more than status menu. That’s right, you can forget about getting into the radio to look at QoS settings

GOOD & BAD; Well there is no GOOD. During the installation they bad mouth every other local WISP in town -- this should have raised a red flag. Then when the installation was complete the bandwidth was 650k down and 240k up with 320ms delay. The lead install tech got on the phone and had the home office reboot the main router. The delay issue was resolved; however the bandwidth did not increase. I should have had them take their equipment back right then and there, but they talked fast and said upgrades to bandwidth were “in progress” and bandwidth would triple in just a few weeks. I was such a sucker to believe what they were saying at the time. With your subscription you get access to a FaceBook Group that is closed to the public and heavily moderated. People complain about the service in rants of rages of discontent -- the rants are mysteriously deleted.

SUMMARY; It is clearly a case that Winchester Wireless is over subscribed. For years they just kept adding new clients, collecting money, and procrastinating bandwidth upgrades until customers lashed out. Now its “too little too late”. Take my word for it and go elsewhere for internet service.